RNC announces first round of speakers to GOP convention

posted at 12:01 pm on August 6, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The RNC and Republican convention organizers have announced some of the speakers for the Tampa event that starts three weeks from tomorrow — but not the most-watched slots.  The Tampa Bay Times picks up the scoop, although there aren’t any real surprises in the list:

Florida Gov. Rick Scott, Sen. John McCain and former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice are among seven headline speakers announced today for the Republican National Convention in Tampa.

The first look at featured speakers also includes South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, Ohio Gov. John Kasich and New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez.

The keynote speaker and others will be named closer to the Aug. 27-30 event, Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus said in announcing the headliners, whom he called “some of our party’s brightest stars, who have governed and led effectively and admirably in their respective roles.”

The Times notices the names not on the list, at least for now:

Noticeably absent from the headliner list are several VP contenders: former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Ohio Sen. Rob Portman, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal.

Let me go out on a limb and predict that all of the above will speak at the convention.  The event takes place over four full days, with about six hours of speaking/presentation time each day.  Some of that will get eaten up by convention business and floor votes, video presentations, and so on.  That still leaves about three hours or more each day for speeches.  The released list could go one day and leave some time left over, let alone the other three days of the convention.

Buzzfeed thinks the short list of announced speakers means a few people have lost the Veepstakes:

It’s possible that this is misdirection or that any one of these notables could still be selected for Veep, but this certainly makes their selection less likely.

It’s a good point — but there were only a couple of interesting names on this list.  Kasich isn’t popular enough in Ohio to help anyway, and neither Haley or Martinez have been governor for long enough to be more than a high-risk choice.  Mike Huckabee all but declared himself out of electoral politics last year.  Not much can be gleaned in Veepstakes outcomes from these names.

The inclusion of Governor Scott was pro forma for a convention in a state with a Republican governor.  It would be bad manners not to invite Scott to speak.  So far, though, Scott has kept a low profile in Florida in connection to the Romney campaign, according to the Times, because of Scott’s low approval ratings in the state.  Democrats want desperately to tie Scott to Romney, but Scott’s been a good team player and avoided handing them any opportunities.  If that’s still a worry three weeks from now, Scott will probably speak early in the convention and outside of prime time — which would be a shame, because Scott is pretty good on the stump and will fire up Republicans.

We’ll know more about the rest of the invites later this month, perhaps after Romney selects his running mate.  Romney starts a bus tour this week, and the Tampa Bay Times suggested that it might be in part a platform for rolling out the Veepstakes winner.  I don’t believe that Romney will waste the opportunity to build enthusiasm and attention by announcing early, though.  I’m sticking by my prediction of either August 17th or 20th for that announcement.

Update: A few “why isn’t _____ on the list?” comments in the thread, so let me explain.  This is just the first batch of confirmed speakers; the final list will be much longer.  Some names, like Chris Christie, Scott Walker, Ron Paul, and Sarah Palin, will generate a lot of buzz on their own, so expect the convention organizers to hold off on those names and announce them individually.  For the rest of those national figures who might play into the Veepstakes or Romney’s former primary opponents, they can’t schedule them until Romney picks his running mate.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Ha! Missed this!:

BTW, while you were going out of your way to do nothing of relevance in the political arena I spent close to 20 hours talking to voters attending our County Fair. BLAH BLAH BLAH.
DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM

It would be a form of torture to be held hostage at a County Fair by the likes of a blowhard like you “spending close to 20 hours talking to voters”.

Buy Danish on August 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM

BTW, while you were going out of your way to do nothing of relevance in the political arena I spent close to 20 hours talking to voters attending our County Fair. I managed to meet ZERO excited Romney supporters out of the hundreds I talked to, but more than a few were interested to learn more about Gary Johnson. Who would have thunk it!!!

Also, tomorrow I’ll be winning my election for precinct delegate with more than half of the votes cast, and that will get me sent to the next MIGOP Convention so I can make the important decisions for the sheeple like yourself, so do cheer up. ;o)

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM

uh…….
Only Oblahma – “it not about me” – is allowed to abuse first person pro-nouns like this.

Seriously.

FlaMurph on August 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Buy Danish on August 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I’m sorry! Were you trying to make some point with your post? If so your point escaped me, but then again irrelevance always does thanks to the liberal filter I’ve built up over the years.

Sheeple are always so cute when they fall flat on their faces.

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM

she’s going all Tiffany-Mall rat-because at that venue SHE will be the ‘star’ surround by her adoring fans
annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Dunno how you got that burr under your saddle, but it sure does bring out the ugly in your comments…

cs89 on August 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Speaking of Mall rats, where do you work? LOL

idesign on August 6, 2012 at 4:59 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM

cs89 on August 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Oh come on! The answer is obvious.

Amjean on August 6, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Seriously.

FlaMurph on August 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Seriousness is what best describes we TEA Party people WORKING [look up the definition] to get actual representatives elected. The rest is just the noise created when the sheeple gather in flocks.

I’m sorry if my AWE inspiring example makes you feel unimportant, but you do that to yourself. You really don’t have to sit at home. You too could try to present an American example of excellence for others to follow.

If not you, who?

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Buy Danish on August 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Considering that most of your time is spent in your basement, how would you know?

BTW, those voters came over to our TEA Party and GOP booths [I worked at both alternately] looking for actual leadership as Romney is not leading at this time. It isn’t as if I stalked them the way you liberal Rombots stalk me. Also worth mentioning, I’ve been invited to attend two political gatherings held by voters in my neck of the woods. How many invites did you get while sitting in your basement?

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 5:06 PM

on August 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Speaking of Mall rats, where do you work? LOL

idesign on August 6, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Annoyinglittletwerp is in his parents basement! Duh!

Jurisprudence on August 6, 2012 at 5:06 PM

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Invites from your mental asylum inmates don’t count :)….

jimver on August 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Annoyinglittletwerp is in his parents basement! Duh!

Jurisprudence on August 6, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Annoyinglittletwerp happens to be a whiny little female mall rat who works at Wallmart..:)

idesign on August 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Annoyinglittletwerp is in his parents basement! Duh!

Jurisprudence on August 6, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I wonder if the other liberal Rombots share that basement and mom’s pc, or if we’ve got a mere bunch of liberal AZZtroturf infesting this site.

I remember when Hot Air had a lot more relevant posters [2007]. It is a shame that the sheeple are now allowed to post here.

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM

jimver on August 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I remain honored that you find me to be such a threat to your liberal idealism that you’ve decided to join the group of liberal stalkers trying [and failing] to get a hit off of me. You see, we in the TEA Party KNOW that flack increases when he hit our targets. Your posts prove that I’m doing a great job for the TEA Party.

Speaking of jobs, is it time for you to go get one yet?

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM

jimver on August 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Speaking of jobs, is it time for you to go get one yet?

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM

You call going to a bunch of irrelevant meetings with the likes of you (mentally challenged individuals that is) a ‘job’ loool :)….. And say, how much does it pay per hour? :)….enpugh to get you an icecream daily?? :)…

jimver on August 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Sheeple are always so cute when they fall flat on their faces.

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Authoritarian Jackasses who order people around and fantasize they’ve won some imaginary victory aren’t cute but are creepy and pathetic. Oh well, you know who’s a poster child of “irrelevance”? Gary Johnson.

Buy Danish on August 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Look ma ! No Conservatives

deedtrader on August 6, 2012 at 5:42 PM

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 5:00 PM

As a Tea Partier and someone who has worked to get local, state, and national candidates elected. Who has worked to change the Repub party in two states. Whose first campaign they worked on was Goldwater. Will you please quit claiming to represent all Tea Partiers. You’re an embarrassment. As a matter of fact you’re so bad I wonder if you aren’t just pretending to be a Tea Partier to discredit us.

Deanna on August 6, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Buy Danish on August 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Now you believe I ordered you around? Wow! Better get mommy to give you your meds as reality has slipped away from you again.

jimver on August 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Good lil sheeple
! DO keep making the AWE inspiring Danno Man look fantastic in comparison to the Rom0bamaBots.

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I wonder if the other liberal Rombots share that basement and mom’s

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM

…says Hotairs number one supporter of Gary “Feed me a Fetus” Johnson.

I am not a social conservative in any way, shape, or form.
- Gary Johnson

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Deanna on August 6, 2012 at 5:48 PM

LMAO! Which liberal city is it that you live in again?

If you are a TEA Party Patriot you are waaay behind in your efforts of getting people signed up as volunteers with either the TEA Party of the GOP. You should know that we lead by example, and try to get people involved. I have yet to see you do so with any of your posts although I have seen you support Sarah a few times.

I’m sure you think siding with the liberals here is the best way to get out the vote, but if you are ready to surrender to the GOP’s liberal desires aren’t you in fact capitulating the very ideals the TEA Party stands for?

I’ll be back later. \We’ve got an election to win.

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM

…says Hotairs number one supporter of Gary “Feed me a Fetus” Johnson.

“I am not a social conservative in any way, shape, or form.”
– Gary Johnson

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Oh, so ‘I’m so awesome’Danno is a Gary Johnson supporter. Well, that explains a lot.

Deanna on August 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I’ll be back later. \We’ve got an election to win.

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I’m not siding with anyone. I’m simply pointing out that your posts on this thread are so over the top and egocentric they sound phoney. Maybe you don’t realize that. Or maybe you have other issues. But you seem to have forgotten that there are a lot of lurkers who might be convinced of your views but not if you go off on a rant. I mean, that is what you want to do isn’t…convince others? Have a nice day.

Deanna on August 6, 2012 at 6:08 PM

“I am not a social conservative in any way, shape, or form.”
- Gary Johnson

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM

In July 2009, Mitt Romney wrote an op-ed in USA Today urging Barack Obama to use an individual mandate at the national level to control healthcare costs.

Liberal birds of a feather…

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 6:11 PM

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM

You must have a tiny penis. Any douche who describes himself as “AWE Inspiring” is compensating for something.

Meow on August 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Deanna on August 6, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Deanna, IF you read more often here at Hot Air you would have a better understanding of the flack I’ve been getting. As you obviously missed many of the more pertinent posts it is understandable that you are confused.

While I tone it way down when dealing with our voters here at home I see no reason to maintain a more reserved stance when dealing with the liberals here at Hot Air. IMHO, these children like to stick their chins way out, so why not take advantage while I can?

Ever listen to Rush Limbaugh? I do my best to copy his style here as that causes the liberals to lose their minds every time, and I really enjoy watching that happen.

Laterz!

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Now you believe I ordered you around?
DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM

You’ve been ordering everyone around – like a bully plagued with feelings of inadequacy.

PS: I’m a boomer and my mother died many decades ago, so your tedious, unoriginal lines about living in a basement and needing my mommy is merely more evidence of how utterly pathetic you are.

PPS: You remind me a bit of angryed who posed as a conservative until the mask slipped. You are calling everyone who thinks you’re a boorish blowhard a “liberal”. You aren’t convincing anyone of your conservatism, smarts, or anything else – save for the obvious defects in your personality. You’ve done a masterful job of that.

Buy Danish on August 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Laterz!

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You really are delusional.

Buy Danish on August 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Buy Danish on August 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Give up. I tried to point that out too, but it went over Danno’s head. Or there is so much ego there nothing, even good advice, gets past it.

Deanna on August 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I’m still trying to wrap my mind around a gay-marrying abortionist calling people who disagree with him “liberal”.

Buy Danish on August 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM

You couldn’t have missed him, his booth was painted air force grey like an F-15 and had little baby shaped “kill flags” all over it.

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Annoyinglittletwerp is in his parents basement! Duh!

Jurisprudence on August 6, 2012 at 5:06 PM

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I’m a WOMAN who has been commenting here for what will be SIX YEARS in October.
I’m married to a former Marine-my son is a future ROTC-he wants to get his degree-and amjean…not every woman who disagrees with Palin is a a dog-fugly fatso who hates her life and who cries herself to sleep every night because she’ll never be SARAH!
I’m a petite little spitfire who would much rather be Jeanne Kirkpatrick. SHE was a woman.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2012 at 7:44 PM

LMAO! Which liberal city is it that you live in again?

I’ll be back later. \We’ve got an election to win.

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM

So not more than a month ago you were going to talk with the FBI and Captain Ed about me asking what Tea Party Leadership you were a part of. Here now you ask what city she lives in. Wow, are you going to call the FBI and have a conversation about yourself? Turn yourself in to Ed?

Laterz!

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM

You might want to Call Rush. He’s always looking for fill-ins for his vacation time. he might even give you a regular spot.

Last month you were a tea part leader. Now you are an unofficial leader, but you are an elected republican delegate. You must have been busy in that month.

Impressive.

oldroy on August 6, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Prediction:

Convention will be RINOPALOOZA!!

Let me just say if he picks Jeb Bush for Veep I will not vote for Romney in November.

I will not work for him, and I will not give any more money to his campaign. I will focus on individual candidates like Allen West and similar. I can’t save the gop if they don’t want to give a place to Smaller govt Conservatives.

Which way you going Mitt?

PappyD61 on August 6, 2012 at 9:54 PM

SARAH! I’m surely not the first to say it….haven’t read the whole thread.

Who is John Galt on August 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Unless Sarah Palin is the keynote speaker, there will be no reason to watch.

Pork-Chop on August 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM

She is the only one with draw, except maybe Walker of WI or Rubio, because the press would work harder to neutralize their images and so make the public more aware of the event

Palin can pull them in on her own. The other two would be created by the MSM

Ron Paul worked his butt off to get Romney nominated so maybe they would reward him with a slot. Id expect his son to be allowed the mic instead – a lot safer

Cain delivers live wire speeches. I’d love to let him loose

I would also enoy seeing Jindal, if they let him write his own copy. He is coming across as the all American boy as he gains poise. He hasnt earned the rabid hatred of the Tea Party, for some reason, so he has opportunity to connect

entagor on August 7, 2012 at 2:08 AM

What were Romney’s scorched Earth tactics against Palin, again?

changer1701 on August 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

“Need some proof?”

Green eyed Lady on August 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Hello Green Eyed Lady, I just got around to reviewing the link you provided and just thought I’d ask HOLEY FLIPPING CRAP, ARE YOU ON DRUGS!?!?!

I’m not being sarcastic! I would really like to know if you have been mainlining heroin or smoking used cleaning rags from a biker bar bathroom stall?

Here’s one passage from the article you linked:

That candidate is Mitt Romney. He used his trademark MO on Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum and there is evidence that he was behind the Cain attacks but his biggest smear campaign for the past 3 years has been against Gov. Palin.

Newsflash: Mitt Romney does not own, nor does he direct the editorial content for MSNBC (the source of 99.9% of anti-Palin propaganda).

Next passage:

We have Mark Halperin who wrote Game Change. He was also one of the first to report in Time that it was Romney staffers behind the leaks.

Wow… just… wow. You’re using Halperin/Game Change as your source for your Romney conspiracy theory?

How can you claim to be a Palin supporter and somehow not have heard of “Game Change”? That’s like a jew who has never heard of nazis, a black man who has never heard of the KKK… or a chicken who has never heard of Colonel Sanders.

Here’s some reading material on “Game Change”

Top 10 Lies of HBO’s ‘Game Change’ (not all of them, just the 10 biggest)

The money quote is at the bottom:

After the selection of Palin for the VP slot, McCain took the lead in national polls. It wasn’t until the economic collapse that the trend started to move the other way. The trend stayed in Obama’s favor due to the manner in which the McCain campaign handled that crisis. The decisions the campaign made did not inspire confidence in the American people, and they were not decisions made by Palin.

After months of research on this movie, this lie was certainly very telling to me. Never before has Schmidt’s motive for talking to the book’s authors and the makers of this movie been more clear. He is trying to absolve himself of responsibility for the bad decisions he (and the Wallaces) made and the campaign they ran.

Palin Aide: Don’t Believe ‘Game Change’

McCain Assails ‘Game Change’

I won’t watch it. I know it’s based on a book that’s totally unfair and untrue, especially to Sarah Palin. You know something, this guy [Mark Halperin] — he might as well have been a paid member of the Obama election campaign if you look at his coverage … he still is, he still is, he still is, I’m not making it up.

Sheesh… relying on “Game Change”, gimme a bloody break.

The rest of that article is, as I have pointed out to Steveangell, Danno and the usual gang of idiots, is the exact same bull____ that we have been hearing all week…from Senator Harry Reid.

Unnamed Romney staffers, unnamed McCain staffers, unnamed aides… you may as well just say that you’re been hearing all this crap from the sponge demons that live in your walls… because both sources are just as real.

In review: Sarah Palin says “Game Change” is all lies. Sarah Palin says she and Romney have a good relationship. Sarah Palin says she is thankful the GOP has a strong candidate in Romney.

But here you come along, saying “Oh no, in this one instance Halperin and Schmidt are telling the truth and Sarah Palin is the liar!”

With supporters like you, Sarah doesn’t need enemies.

Alberta_Patriot on August 7, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Impressive.

oldroy on August 6, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Today I’ll again be working to get out the vote. What is on your agenda?

Meow on August 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Oh my! The liberalism is strong in you.

Deanna on August 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Not everyone is sold on the GOP. Some people believe integrity and a solid record of accomplishments is more important than following the party line, but as a TEA Party member you already know that, right? RIGHT!!!

TEA Party member my foot! More like a GOP infiltrator at best.

DannoJyd on August 7, 2012 at 6:45 AM

And people still support this party.

Dante on August 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2012 at 7:44 PM

The amjean Unit likes to suggest any female who isn’t in the Creepy Cult of Palin must be fat and ugly and never accomplished anything.
It’s done the same thing to me but I didn’t bother to defend myself (my career, my husband or my super hot looks). I just find it strange that the Nasty ‘Nista’s who claim to admire Palin especially because she’s a successful woman who speaks her mind engage in baseless attacks and insults against any women who dare to voice an opinion they don’t agree with.
As women the ‘Nistas expect us to either gush over everything Sarah says and does or keep our mouths shut and keep our opinions to ourselves. Somehow they’ve justified this logic as an advancement of womens causes. I expect that from liberals and I’ve come to expect it from the Creepy Cult of Palin.

Buttercup on August 7, 2012 at 11:46 AM

And people still support this party.

Dante on August 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM

You bet. Got my big box of Mitt shwag this week. T-shirt, stickers, buttons. Can’t wait for my yard signs to arrive. I even ordered extras to give away as a public service. GO WILLARD!

Buttercup on August 7, 2012 at 11:53 AM

oldroy on August 6, 2012 at 9:39 PM

ZING! I really enjoyed that!

Buy Danish on August 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM

ot – FREE SHIPPING at the MittRomney.com store!

Buttercup on August 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM