Cheney walks back comments about Palin?

posted at 6:17 pm on August 6, 2012 by Allahpundit

I wonder if he tweaked her initially because he thought he could win this media fight (in the interest of working an angle for Rob Portman) or if he tweaked her because he didn’t expect any pushback from Palin and other conservatives, including his own daughter. A poor calculation from DC either way.

Not especially convincing, but damage control rarely is:

“It wasn’t aimed so much at Governor Palin as it was against the basic process that McCain used…my point basically dealt with the process in terms of that basic requirement, is this person prepared to step in to be president of the United States when they’re picked? And it was my judgment — I was asked if I thought the McCain process in ’08 had been well done or was it a mistake and I said I thought it was a mistake. That’s not…meant so much as a criticism of Governor Palin as it is that I just thought it was not — the process didn’t meet the standards I would like to see our candidate pursue when they pick a — a running mate.”

Is that really much of a walkback? Watch the key bit below from the original interview. My point in our last post about this was that he probably didn’t mean the initial criticism as personally as it ended up sounding; I took it as more of a critique of nominating any VP with two years’ experience rather than of Palin. I think that’s what he’s getting at here, but his basic argument that that means she shouldn’t have been the pick is essentially intact. Guess we’ll see more of where he’s going with this tonight.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Palin made a mistake accepting the veep slot on the McCain ticket.

Valkyriepundit on August 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

The mistake was losing to Obama. The VP pick had no impact on McCain’s idiocy.

faraway on August 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I love Sarah Palin, but I agree that 2 years as Governor was a bit light for a VP Nominee.

And yet Sarah had more EXECUTIVE experience than either Obama or Biden and America actually elected them in 2008.

We have one chance for a “do-over” in November 2012. Let’s make sure we help our friends and family to vote more carefully in 2012.

We always get the government we deserve. So it is time for Americans to start paying closer attention.

wren on August 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

So now a Cheney is responsible for a meltdown caused by Barney Frank and Chris Dodd, Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac and credit markets? Whatever his position on TARP that is delusional.

Tacitus on August 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

The meltdown can’t be pinned solely to what was done by Barney Frank and Chris Dodd. That meltdown is also ongoing and hitting Europe as well. To suggest that two Democrats are the cause of all this is absurd. The out of control spending and government intervention in the marketplace has been going on for decades and the gravy train is running out. Bush is responsible for what he did just as the Democrats are responsible for their actions. You don’t get a free pass just because you have an R on your blazer.

sharrukin on August 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Cheney made a mistake here, and others. Palin has made a mistake or two as well.

Fact is, I’d trust either one of them to head the executive branch over the FPOBA now presiding over it, who is prevaricating disaster of a president. It’s hard to say this, but he actually makes me long for Jimmah Cahtah.

TXUS on August 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Cheney is a Republican statesman with a lifetime of contributions over many administrations. I think we can give him the benefit of his own opinion on a political question without flaming him if everyone doesn’t happen to agree with him. Or maybe we can’t.

Tacitus on August 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

FIFY

njrob on August 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Palin made a mistake accepting the veep slot on the McCain ticket.

Valkyriepundit on August 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

no she didn’t. she did what she thought was right and honorable. she put her country before herself.

She continues to fight for common ordinary citizen. its why she has such a following. 4 years later Sarah is proving to be a powerful kingmaker. Her influence growing. cheney now crawls at her feet.

mistake. lol. i don’t think so.

renalin on August 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM

His explanation is good and sound. It’s the process, not the pick. Sounds like he was disturbed with the entire process and the obvious motivations behind McCain’s ’08 VP choice.

sherry on August 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Do you think he’s equally disturbed with the process that nominated McCain? How about Mitt “I’m progressive…no, I’m severely conservative” Romney? I find that FAR more disturbing than the process that vetted Palin for veep.

gryphon202 on August 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM

The only explanation that I can think of is that Cheney holds some sort of Ross Perot like grudge. But if so, then it should be directed to the pathetic campaign that McCain ran and not to who he picked to be his VP.

The fact is that Palin boosted McCain’s campaign. She was dynamic and articulate. It was the MSM that declared war on her and made it their mission to destroy her personally and politically.

At the same time, the MSM was the biggest cheerleader for Obama and made zero effort to vet his past history or political record.

So much for honest journalism.

I think I just lost my respect for Cheney. It was a cheap shot, uncalled for, not relevant to the current campaign, and revealed some sort of deep personal resentment.

Dick, I though you were above this kind of mud-racking. But I guess not.

BMF on August 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Yep.

the_nile on August 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

sharrukin on August 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

The spending didn’t cause the meltdown.

ghostwriter on August 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Not a “walkback” at all, AND it’s been a week, SO, why bother? Cheney was wrong then and he is wrong now. If Cheney was trying for “damage control”, he has failed.

Pork-Chop on August 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Did I watch the same interview everyone else did? It was clear to me that Cheney was criticizing McCain and his selection process, not Palin. Whatever you think about Palin (and I was a supporter until the 2012 Republican primary kicked into gear), I think it not out of the pale to suggest that two years as governor of Alaska was a thin resume. It was, and with the media putting her in the crosshairs, she was never able to overcome it.

When Palin, ungracefully IMHO, responded to Cheney, she listed her accomplishments during that two year period. O.K., she was doing a great job as governor of Alaska, and had the approval ratings to prove it. Kudos to her, no one, least of all Cheney, is saying she wasn’t. But that is irrelevent to what Cheney is saying. I think Cheney would agree that Christie and Rubio are unqualified as well, despite the good work they have done in their relatively short political careers.

To think that Cheney, of all people, drank the Lamestream media Koolaid, as Palin suggested, is beyond absurd. Cheney has had it a lot rougher than Palin for a lot longer, and his hide is a lot thicker. She could learn a little bit from him.

Cheney should have had the cajones to stand behind his original statement.

He is standing behind it. He’s not walking it back. He’s clarifying the obvious. And I doubt Palin has Darth Vader quaking in his boots.

Mr. Arkadin on August 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Thank you Dick for clarifying that…you are a Dick, have always been a Dick and intend to remain…a Dick.

P. Monk on August 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Aw hell. I like Palin. I like Cheney.

Why can’t we all just get along?

ElectricPhase on August 6, 2012 at 6:41 PM

My sentiments also. Both are fine for different reasons.

Lightswitch on August 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM

So much for honest journalism.

Dick, I though you were above this kind of mud-racking. But I guess not.

BMF on August 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Well said. Wish he’d use half the words attacking clueless Joe and the current abomination of an administration.

njrob on August 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM

At least Cheney hasn’t said anything disparaging about Palin until now. Huckabee, on the other hand, was on Fox two or three nights after her speech at the convention criticizing her as the VP choice. That was the last time I listened to him.

She was the VP on the R ticket: Huckabee was just sore that he wasn’t heading the ticket.

AubieJon on August 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM

You don’t get a free pass just because you have an R on your blazer.

sharrukin on August 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Agreed. I don’t think many will defend Bush’s spending. That said, Dodd and Frank were just the front men for a Democratic policy for years of pushing cheap loans to people who couldn’t afford them for the political goodies, and then tried to pretend innocence when the bubble burst. To my recollection the Bush Administration tried to put the brakes on Fanny and Freddie more than once, but faced intransigence and rooted interests in a Democratic congress that didn’t want to stop your gravy chain. I’m sure members of the Bush admin bear some role in not convincing him to veto more crap spending bills, but whatever blame there is to go around, I don’t see Cheney as one of the key players. Doesn’t excuse him from not doing more, but Cheney is no Chris Dodd.

Tacitus on August 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I can’t recall all this anguish over previous VP selections. Why would someone who was “as qualified” as the POTUS nominee be interested in running for a “just in case he dies” job? So he can sit in someone else’s shadow for 8 years?

If there were ANY requirements how the blazes did Joe Biden ever get nominated?

katiejane on August 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM

He COULD have said, the VP selection process was flawed, even though Palin turned out to be a good choice. But he didn’t say that, because he doesn’t believe that. He didn’t say she was a good choice. He said her choice was a mistake. She was a mistake. Jeez.

Paul-Cincy on August 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Even Darth Vader should be careful of 800lb grizzlies..:)

idesign on August 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM

gryphon202 on August 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM

He said he was disturbed by the process based on the fundamental question of competency – “can the VP step into the shoes of the presidency?”. Apparently, he didn’t think it was a good choice based on that premise. He didn’t mention being conservative-enough.

sherry on August 6, 2012 at 7:15 PM

none of you guys whined when edwards was picked. he was a dem thats why. they set the rules. its ok if its them. but when its us. no way.

so like the sheeple you are bray on “ready to lead from day one” what a load of bs.

just think of breck boy. and you guys swallowed him whole.

but Sarah. everyones panties got in a twist. tough. its her time. its coming.

renalin on August 6, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Palin made a mistake accepting the veep slot on the McCain ticket.

Valkyriepundit on August 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

That didn’t stop Obama. And he won.

Bitter Clinger on August 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Cheney BAD
Palin GOOD
Palin Power!

Pragmatic on August 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Cheney is clearly saying that he doesn’t think anything badly about Palin. Just that she’s not qualified. Cheney’s a dick. No butt’s about it.

MrX on August 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Doesn’t excuse him from not doing more, but Cheney is no Chris Dodd.

Tacitus on August 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM

No he isn’t, and I have said the Democrats are by far the worst offenders here, but Bush and Cheney get some of the blame for the mess as well. They did sign the Housing Rescue Bill that threw $300 billion more away and directed more cash to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. They passed TARP and several other cash give-aways.

sharrukin on August 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM

This isnt really about Palin. Chris Christie for example faces the same question: Is it smart to run for national executive office, if you havent been reelected to the office that put you in the spotlight. And the answer is clearly no.

Palin made a mistake accepting the veep slot on the McCain ticket.

Valkyriepundit on August 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

That would put some serious doubt in Romney.

the_nile on August 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Alas, instead of Sarah Palin, we actually got stuck with Joe Biden as our Vice President.

We should never forget that VP Biden is the guy who plagerized is own supposed life story from British Labor Party leader Neil Kinnock.

Biden lifted Kinnock’s precise turns of phrase and his sequences of ideas—a degree of plagiarism that would qualify any student for failure, if not expulsion from school. But the even greater sin was to borrow biographical facts from Kinnock that, although true about Kinnock, didn’t apply to Biden. Unlike Kinnock, Biden wasn’t the first person in his family history to attend college, as he asserted; nor were his ancestors coal miners, as he claimed when he used Kinnock’s words. Once exposed, Biden’s campaign team managed to come up with a great-grandfather who had been a mining engineer, but he hardly fit the candidate’s description of one who “would come up [from the mines] after 12 hours and play football.” At any rate, Biden had delivered his offending remarks with an introduction that clearly implied he had come up with them himself and that they pertained to his own life.

If that wasn’t bad enough, Biden admitted the next day that while in law school he had received an F for a course because he had plagiarized five pages from a published article in a term paper that he submitted.

America, please elect a more honest Vice President in 2012!

wren on August 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM

He said “basic” or “basically” three times at the front of his remarks. I think he was nervous, and trying to convey a simple, “basic” reason for saying the Palin pick was a “mistake”, which he can’t do, because he’s just wrong. Basically. :)

Paul-Cincy on August 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM

MrX on August 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

After 16 years of accelerating deficit spending , you would think there was somewhere else he could point some blame.

the_nile on August 6, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Cheney has had it a lot rougher than Palin for a lot longer,

I have to disagree. The media may hate Cheney, but I have never seen a political figure attacked with the malevolence they have and continue to show toward not only Palin but her entire family. Cheney may play for the evil republican team but he is the consummate Washington insider. So they may hate on Cheney but he can buy the house next door, their house would go on the market if the Palin’s bought next door. Palin committed the ultimate unforgivable sin – she failed to name the NY Times as her go to news source when questioned by Couric.

D.L.Mc on August 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM

sherry on August 6, 2012 at 7:15 PM

So some media-fed notion of “competency” which is open to interpretation and debate appears more important to Dick Cheney than actual effectiveness and principles. That’s what I take away from all this. And please bear in mind, I consciously avoided the flamefest over Cheney’s original remarks.

This isn’t a walkback. It’s barely a clarification, if you want to be generous. Sounds to me like Cheney is just doubling down. And I disagree with him just as strongly.

gryphon202 on August 6, 2012 at 7:33 PM

D.L.Mc on August 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Indeed.

the_nile on August 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Palin made a mistake accepting the veep slot on the McCain ticket.

Valkyriepundit on August 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

That didn’t stop Obama. And he won.

Bitter Clinger on August 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

He didn’t “win”.

Mike Gorbachev, Maurice Strong, and George Soros were the winners.

Obama is just their surrogate/puppet.

Obama could have never done it without them.

listens2glenn on August 6, 2012 at 7:41 PM

So by Cheney’s own reasoning he should support Gary Johnson for President.

FloatingRock on August 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Your schtick is getting old over and over on every thread. Gary Johnson is not going to be president, ever. Let it go!

silvernana on August 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Very rarely does a Veep have to take over. It’s a political choice: Who can help win the election? 2008 was shaping up as a perfect storm for the Dems, and Palin could’ve stayed in Juneau as the most popular, most effective Governor in America and planned a 2012 run. Instead, she said yes, and almost carried McCain over the finish line against all odds.

For her trouble, she’s been politically nuked from the right and the left. She even stood aside so Mitt could have his coronation, but apparently that still wasn’t enough. Yet she continues working to elect Republicans.

Burn her!

Mr. Wednesday Night on August 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM

D.L.Mc on August 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Just look at some of the comments directed at Cheney by the trolls on this thread: traitor, killer, war criminal. That kind of crap has been going on for close to twelve years. It’s a hell of a lot more serious than being called stupid.

The one unique thing that Palin had to suffer was the attack on her family, particularly the children. That was new; families, except for the occasional snark, were traditionally off limits. By attacking her family, the Left found Palin’s weak spot, and managed to drive her out of office.

Fortunately, Palin’s family has proven as tough as she, and I doubt the Left and it’s lackies in the Comedia will be able to repeat that performance.

Palin and Cheney are natural allies. That’s why I am surprised this thing has got so out of hand.

Mr. Arkadin on August 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM

That didn’t stop Obama. And he won.

Bitter Clinger on August 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

And how good an idea was that?

That would put some serious doubt in Romney.

the_nile on August 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM

“Would”?

Valkyriepundit on August 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I accept his explanation. Makes sense.

jake49 on August 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM

See Dick “misfires” Cheney.

See Dick “walk backwards misfires” Cheney.

He is still saying that Palin’s selection as VP was a mistake, but just in a different way and to add insult to injury, he is now questioning the vetting process carried out by A.B. Culvahouse, which was extremely thorough.

Sorry Dick …. but you would have been better of keeping your mouth shut.

john.frank on August 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Sorry Dick …. but you would have been better of keeping your mouth shut.

john.frank on August 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM

30,000+ pages of Email say there is nothing more to find out about Sarah Palin that we don’t already know — PERIOD.

gryphon202 on August 6, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Mr. Arkadin on August 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I’m inclined to agree with you on that assessment, and I think that they would too.

onlineanalyst on August 6, 2012 at 7:51 PM

gryphon202 on August 6, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I’m not sure it’s a media-fed notion of competency. I have never run a superpower country and I’m going to assume you haven’t either. Based on his various roles in government, I’m betting Cheney has been privy to things that would put competency at the top of the list for him. I can’t blame him for that.

sherry on August 6, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Palin made a mistake accepting the veep slot on the McCain ticket.

Valkyriepundit on August 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

So you’re a no go vote Romney.

RickB on August 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Palin made a mistake accepting the veep slot on the McCain ticket.

Valkyriepundit on August 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

And what does that say for the presumptive Republican nominee for President.. Held elected offie only once as Governor of Ma and was away from the office quite a bit running for President. So now VP nominees have to have more experience than Presidential ones??

Truthfully – I think it is the person and what they bring to the office..not how many elective ‘titles’ they’ve held.

unaffiliated on August 6, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Them’s some mighty purty tap dancin’ shoes you’re wearing there, Dick.

profitsbeard on August 6, 2012 at 8:05 PM

So you’re a no go vote Romney.

RickB on August 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM

The question how wise it is for whome to run for which office has little to do with the actual vote as soon as the tickets are determined. Of course I will vote for Willard, if thats the only way to get rid of Obama, but that doesnt mean that Im particularly happy with him.

Valkyriepundit on August 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Lotta stuff going on here. Respect, sympathy, etc, but the main message is that it looks like the establishment GOP’s tails are curling back and starting to go further between their hind legs. That’s progress…

PaCadle on August 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Rule number one:

DO not pick a popular governor who has strong bipartisan approval (Palin’s was around 80% before being picked for VP). Allow that person to finish their term and be remembered as a very popular governor by people on both sides.

Taking a person who has strong bi-partisan support and tossing them into a highly polarized contest against the vile “progressive” left will do nothing but wreck the legacy of that term win or lose. There is nothing to be gained long term by doing that.

Had Palin refused the nomination, completed her term, maybe run for another or gone to the Senate for a term, we might be talking about a very strong, very popular Presidential candidate in 2016 with very strong support.

Even rank and file Democrats in Alaska loved Sarah Palin right up until the minute she was nominated. It was the establishment of both parties that didn’t like her.

crosspatch on August 6, 2012 at 8:10 PM

sherry on August 6, 2012 at 7:52 PM

It’s not, and never was, about comparing Palin’s creds with Cheney’s. It was about comparing Palin’s creds with Obama’s and Biden’s. On both counts, she was way ahead.

NoNails on August 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Allah, you were correct in your initial assessment, and, it looks like DC reads your posts.

maineconservative on August 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Cheney shouldn’t have mentioned Palin name. Period. Do not give her or her fans any fodder. The whole bunch is the most thin skinned people in the country…well except Obama and his thugs.

Redford on August 6, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Spit out the bait, people. Romney needs Sarah to go on a nationwide registration drive to get all of those Chick-fil-a customers into voting booths. And she’s exactly the best person for the job. This ’08 discussion is closer to subterfuge than substance.

wolfsDad on August 6, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Cheney is a conservative statesman with a lifetime of contributions over many administrations. I think we can give him the benefit of his own opinion on a political question without flaming him if everyone doesn’t happen to agree with him. Or maybe we can’t.
Tacitus on August 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Wait, are you saying we can’t criticize him?

Dongemaharu on August 6, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Well, well, Mr. Cheney has to walk back his comments. No real reason for him to do that unless…….he’s been told that Romney is picking Palin for the second spot.

Nah, never happen. Mittoast doesn’t have the stones. Couldn’t even say a nice word about the Chick-fil-A buy-in protest over Leftist/Fascist strong arm tactics, like alone make a ‘damn-the-torpedoes, full-steam-ahead’ call like selecting Palin as VP. Instead we’ll get Pawlenty and snooze our way to the election.

Tarnsman on August 6, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Redford on August 6, 2012 at 8:12 PM

The Obama faithful have been shook to the core, not the thugs just those that got caught up in the moment. He isn’t the one they were waiting for afterall.

And, there are some very thin skinned Paulbots and Mittwits here, too. Very thin skinned.

OT Hey, Redford, I just heard they were delaying the release of the remake of The Great Gatsby. Any thoughts on the matter?

Fallon on August 6, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Dear Dick,

Please stop digging.

Cordially,

Your long-suffering fans

J.E. Dyer on August 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Nah, never happen. Mittoast doesn’t have the stones.

Tarnsman on August 6, 2012 at 8:25 PM

It’s not IMPOSSIBLE. It would be bold as heck. It brings to mind …

JFK: “We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard”

Paul-Cincy on August 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM

What was Liz Cheney remarking about? Did she misunderstand her dad too?

AubieJon on August 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I get what you’re saying, but to his credit, Huck was the only high profile Republican to stick up for Palin during Tucson. Maybe Gingrich too?

Dongemaharu on August 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM

crosspatch on August 6, 2012 at 8:10 PM

stick to bagging groceries homey. leave the punditry to the pros.

renalin on August 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM

intrade.com
Sarah Palin to be Republican VP nominee in 2012
0.8%

Paul-Cincy on August 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM

So much for honest journalism.

Dick, I though you were above this kind of mud-racking. But I guess not.

BMF on August 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM

IrishEyes on August 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Hit the wrong button!

Whatever the process, McCain got the right nominee. Even a broken clock …

IrishEyes on August 6, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I am GLAD Liz gave her dad a good talking to !! He must have forgotten that Sarah is ON OUR SIDE !!??

OT: Michigan primary is tomorrow – polls open til 7 pm.

kennedyk49 on August 6, 2012 at 8:50 PM

kennedyk49 on August 6, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Thats why he, and many others can’t stop taking shots at her.

Who’s side do you think he is on?

sharrukin on August 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Actually Gov. Palin challenged the MSM during her convention speech. Go back and watch it or read the transcript. I remember saying at the time ‘Uh oh”. She underestimated the power of the MSM and they have spent the last 3 yrs 10 months showing her.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 6, 2012 at 9:04 PM

“It wasn’t aimed so much at Governor Palin as it was against the basic process that McCain used.”

… which is, tragically, the same basic process which picked McCain in the first place.

At least we can be honest about that?

Lawrence on August 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on August 6, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Palin’s still standing, while the public’s view of the media has gone in the tank.

Thanks for playing though…:)

idesign on August 6, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Thanks for playing though…:)

idesign on August 6, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Hey Fanboi, I’m a supporter and was just stating the facts. I am not saying that she isn’t going to come out on long end just that she underestimated their hold over the ignorant masses.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 6, 2012 at 9:24 PM

And she’s back, in a cheap GAP blue dress again.

Talk about someone who likes getting blasted in the face….

CorporatePiggy on August 6, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I bet you are fat, unattractive or both…

Cheney please just go home and take care of your health…we’ve just about had enough already…

CCRWM on August 6, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Cheney used to be pretty much my favorite guy in politics. I always thought that he should have been at the top of the Presidential ticket.

Cheney’s pointless and false attack on Sarah Palin proved me wrong and showed how little I knew about him. Cheney is just another establishment Republican trying to beat back the TEA Party and its leaders. Sorry Dick, we’re staying right here and recapturing the Republican Party and retuning it to Republican and Conservative ideals, not “Going along & Getting along” with the Democrat ideals.

RJL on August 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Sarah Palin saved McCain from humiliating defeat. McCain would have won the election but for the way he handled the manufactured financial crisis. Sarah Palin today is the most popular and influential person in the Republican party as evidenced by her ability to bring conservatives out, for rallies and candidates, in huge numbers… something Romney can’t do. Conservatives who way outnumber the moderates in the party. Also, she brings out the hate in all the people who are trying to destroy this country…

CCRWM on August 6, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on August 6, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I dunno. I’d put my cash on her still standing and the LSM either shutting down their printing presses or broadcasting to three viewers. ;)

kim roy on August 6, 2012 at 9:39 PM

stick to bagging groceries homey. leave the punditry to the pros.

renalin on August 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM

So are you saying you believe accepting McCain’s nomination was GOOD for her career? She had an 80% approval rating among rank and file Democrats and Republicans. The *instant* she accepted the nomination, the knives came out from the “establishment” of both parties. That’s why you started hearing unflattering “leaks” from within the party. The establishment didn’t like the way she had treated Ted Stevens. They didn’t like the way she had treated “big oil” whose management employees are heavy donors to the party. But it endeared her to the people right up until she joined the race.

crosspatch on August 6, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Cheney should have had the cajones to stand behind his original statement.

Mr. Arkadin on August 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Some of you are indeed brain dead.

The litmus test, if you will, for president, should not be about the number of years one is
a governor or senator. All their experience in the private and
public sector should be in play. The major asset we should be
evaluating is do they know and value the constitution, does their record show they are ethical, what kind of work ethic do they
have, can they communicate with those on the other side of the
aisle, etc. What are their values? Do they want the title of
President, a ride in Air Force One or do they want to serve the
people of this country? Do they understand that the dollars they
spend come from hardworking taxpayers? Its about character.

Instead, you numbnuts keep going on and on about whether someone
served 2 1/2 years or ?.

Amjean on August 6, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Amjean on August 6, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Exactly.

the_nile on August 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM

sherry on August 6, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Whatever Cheney has been privy to, I disagree with him. Not a big deal. Still got tons of respect for the man, but his role in the administration that made Obama possible can not should not be papered over. And in this instance, among others, I disagree with him. Big whoop. If history repeats itself as it usually does, Palin will find her vindication just as Reagan found his in 1980.

gryphon202 on August 6, 2012 at 9:50 PM

kim roy on August 6, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Exactly my point..:)

idesign on August 6, 2012 at 9:55 PM

crosspatch on August 6, 2012 at 9:44 PM

It depends on what she wants to do.

If she wants to be liked by the establishment , she failed.

If she wants to tear down corruption , it was just a matter of time before she would run into it’s massive counter attack.

the_nile on August 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Another Establishment hack.

Always has been.

Always will be.

Get in touch with the base a-hole, or your days as a rainmaker are over.

Tim_CA on August 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I’m jaded by the level of defamation that she was subject, almost entirely out of whole cloth, and the party’s unwilling to stick up for her, the Jones CYA memo was the most recent example, for the template that became ‘Julianne’s bender’

narciso on August 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM

crosspatch on August 6, 2012 at 9:44 PM

it wasn’t a career choice to be vp, it was a calling. she’s said so umpteen times. she didn’t go with the flow.

renalin on August 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Imagine Palin is picked for VP by Mitt. How would she be vetted any differently by the same Democrat Media that went hunting for her in ’08?

Del Dolemonte on August 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Palin made a mistake accepting the veep slot on the McCain ticket.

Valkyriepundit on August 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Of course she should have accepted the slot. No one in the immediate communication age turns that down, and no one would give a hoot what she thought about anything if she hadn’t. It was a huge opportunity.

Cheney was simply wrong. Palin was ready for the job of VP. Americans just weren’t ready for Palin. She needed to be much more thoroughly introduced right off the bat, the interest recognized and fed. She was photogenic and personable with a compelling story. She could have charmed her way through a million short, superficial interviews to get comfortable, instead of sitting down only for a couple high-stakes meetings. The false stories that sprouted like mushrooms needed to be smacked down hard, every time. Palin had no way of knowing beforehand how badly McCain’s team would handle her, or she would have handled her own appearances from the beginning.

Palin had more political experience than just her 3 years as governor (it was 3 full legislative terms). Sitting on an important state regulatory board and then standing at the heart of a public ethics investigation of that board is a lot more practical experience than many state lawmakers can claim. Same for city councilor and mayor of the fastest growing suburb in the state; it’s probably better legislative experience than serving in the Alaska legislature. Palin’s experience therefore bettered Obama’s: 2 yrs Senator, 2 yrs Governor; prior experience in state govt, prior experience in Wasilla govt; but she was a state regulator and he never served in the executive branch.

alwaysfiredup on August 6, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Palin made a mistake accepting the veep slot on the McCain ticket.

Valkyriepundit on August 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

So, somebody who had served in several elected offices and was governor of a state was not qualified to be VP because she had not been re-elected to that spot, but someone who was a community organizer, won all of his elections by disqualifying his opponents instead of beating them, and had served only 109 days in the Senate before announcing for POTUS was qualified to be president?

/not getting it.

AZfederalist on August 6, 2012 at 10:51 PM

renalin on August 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Ok, and sometimes people make poor choices. It’s obvious in *hindsight* that she would have been better off turning down the nomination at that time. Today she would have a legacy as a very popular governor and a state who loves her much like we love Reagan today. McCain was wrong for choosing her at that specific point in time. He should not have picked a very popular governor in the middle of their term. That is rule number one. There is a larger Republican team than just your own campaign. McCain would have helped the party by leaving Palin where she is.

I also think Ryan should be left where he is, Jindal should be left where he is, and Rubio should be left where he is. They are more valuable to the overall cause doing what they are doing than they would be warming a chair at the VPs office.

crosspatch on August 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM

“You don’t want to do anything that upsets her (Sarah Palin) if you are Romney.” – Rick Klein, ABC News.

idesign on August 6, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Only so few comments?

You’re waning.

Schadenfreude on August 6, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Oh, shut up, Mr. C.

minnesoter on August 7, 2012 at 12:35 AM

There is protocol, Dick. There is PROTOCOL!

First, when in the royal presence, you are to bow your head, take three steps forward, bow your head again, approach the royal presence, take Her Majesty’s hand, and proceed to kiss the ring. The kiss should be modest, respectful, and quick. Also know she is HM Sarah Palin, Governor Sarah Palin, or Bringer of Democrat Doom, Her Excellency Sarah Palin of Wasilla, Alaska. Being a figure of the Establishment, you may not address her simply as “Sarah”, “Sarah Palin”, or just “Palin”.

Next, it is ma’am as in “ham” and not ma’am as in “mom”. Do not talk about silly things, do not talk about Alaskan politics, and never, ever bring up the Lame Stream Media. You are to say a few nice words, tell Her Majesty that she alone is the Highlander, and that she is the greatest thing to happen to the GOP since HRM RWR.

Kiss the ring again for good measure.

After your five minutes of glory is over, you are to bow your head and proceed to walk backwards — while bowing! — out the door and down the hall. Do not utter a peep when leaving the royal presence since she will be contemplating just how awful and beneath her you really are.

Should you break one of these rules, it is advised that a member of your clan grovels and apologizes on your behalf. Traditionally, a sacrifice would be in order — sometimes in the form of pelts, land, or a high-paying speaking engagement. Her Majesty asks for no such sacrifice and will instead settle for the apology. Should the apology lack sincerity, you and yours will not receive the royal favor and will most likely lose the next election.

Crawl back in before the royal presence and kiss the ring once more for good measure.

Congratulations! You have successfully conducted yourself respectfully before the real power within the GOP. You may now return to licking the boots of the Bush family while uttering your contempt for small government conservatives beneath your breath.

Punchenko on August 7, 2012 at 1:24 AM

The book Reckless Endangerment documents how 90% of the meltdown was due to democrats.

Jasper61 on August 7, 2012 at 1:34 AM

I think many Americans would like to see Mr. Cheney et al perp ‘walked’ instead.

LizardLips on August 7, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Palin is one of the best things to come out of recent politics. It was’nt a mistake for McCain. He needed help because he had earned the hatred of his base, and used triangulation to win nomination, despite the fact he was toxic

I give McCain credit for understanding what he needed

I take away credit for whoever decided to set up Palin to fail. You are supposed to do that after you win, not before.

I cannot forget the fact McCain wrote off Michigan, my state, but Palin wanted to keep fighting. McCain did not understand MI in the primary and he lost the state. He did not understand that fighting for MI might not have won MI, but would have won him points, in image.

It is stupid to write off a part of the nation, in public. Palin gained not by fighting, but by saying she wanted to fight. She wasnt stupid and gave mcCain and his stooges a way out of the insult, but they were too paniced to take it

Cheny can’t dig his way out of this one. I assume Cheney would have approved the process if it picked a Pawlenty

entagor on August 7, 2012 at 2:25 AM

FUDC!

LizardLips on August 7, 2012 at 4:31 AM

Yes but he made a fatal mistake- pissing off the clueless Palinistas who have nothing better to do then harass anyone who dares suggest that Palin lacks knowledge or gravitas.

bayam on August 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM

A LOT of those supposedly ‘clueless’ Palin supporters are again working at the grass roots level to get decent representatives elected. What have you done lately? Have you signed up as a GOP volunteer to man the phone banks, made up lawn signs, worked in any GOTV effort, met with any candidate to ask the tough questions, or even placed a lawn sign to promote your candidate on your lawn?

Be honest. What have you done?

Think about that the next time you feel the need to be critical of someone wanting better for his/her country.

DannoJyd on August 7, 2012 at 6:24 AM

He’s entitled to his opinion. I thought the GOP was the party that embraced differing opinions. I like them both, why do I have to pick a side?

FineasFinn on August 7, 2012 at 9:12 AM

“The process was a mistake.” Got it.

Next time we’ll put you (Dick Cheney) in charge and then you can help select the VP. Sorry, we already did that!

HerneTheHunter on August 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

The mistake was Palin’s for signing up with loser McCain.

RedRedRice on August 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

YUP!!!!

Gunlock Bill on August 7, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Dick Cheney Misfires Again Continues to Insult Sarah Palin, John McCain and the American People’s Intelligence

john.frank on August 7, 2012 at 3:39 PM

An excellent rebuttal to all the naysayers, including Dick … I mean Vice President Cheney, who not only misfires from time to time, but then proceeds to misfire again when walking backwards.

Worse Than Palin’