Obama campaign mobile app reveals which of your neighbors are registered Dems

posted at 5:01 pm on August 5, 2012 by Howard Portnoy

Just when you thought the Obama campaign couldn’t get any weirder, along comes its latest high-tech gift. Meet the Obama for America app for iPhone, a tool that allows you to spy on your neighbors to determine which of them are naughty (read: not Obama supporters) and which are nice. What you do with that information is entirely up to you.

The website ProPublica explains how the app works. The end-user types in his current location. The app returns a Google map of the area that flags households with one or more registered Democrats. Clicking on one of the blue flags reveals the first name, last initial, age, and gender of Democratic voters who live there. Not creepy at all.

ProPublica’s Lois Beckett notes that this information is publicly available and that canvassers for political campaigns have long had access to it. The question is why Obama for America thinks the average man on the street should have it at his fingertips.

An Obama spokesman is quoted as saying:

The campaign is strongly committed to ensuring the safety and privacy of the public and follows up with appropriate action, including alerting appropriate authorities if necessary, in any case of abuse or inappropriate behavior. Any voter who requests not to be contacted again is immediately removed from any provided to volunteers.

The assurances about “safety and privacy” might be easier to swallow if the campaign hadn’t previously come out with other online gems, including:

Careful readers will recall that the Obama campaign’s efforts to get voters in other voters’ faces predates his presidency, finding expression in then-candidate 2008 Obama’s “Neighbor to Neighbor” campaign.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I think Moocher Map would be more appropriate.

hillsoftx on August 5, 2012 at 5:08 PM

you don’t need a map for that, that’s easy, most of California :-)…

jimver on August 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Yet another reason I am glad my state does not register voters by party.

acasilaco on August 5, 2012 at 10:10 PM

What a disgusting POS we have for a president. I am ashamed!

Winebabe on August 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Aw, too bad for me because I don’t own any Apple device in my house. My phone is android, and my computers are(windows) and even my ereader’s are Nook (no IPad). Will this become availble for android or PC so I can spy on my dem neighbors, even though I know none of them are voting for O this time around.

megthered on August 5, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Not a good app for Dem ocrat voters, they’ll be repairing tires on election day from being slashed.

Tater Salad on August 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM

What a disgusting POS we have for a president. I am ashamed!

Winebabe on August 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM

He is a national embarrassment.

slickwillie2001 on August 5, 2012 at 11:34 PM

If I were a democrat, this would piss me off.

Where did anyone consent to give up this sort of information to the public? Why would you want your neighbors to know which party you belonged to? This is all supposed to be kept in the polling office.

If the republicans are smart, they’ll jump on this and say “see, even your own party doesn’t respect you.”

Make a big privacy thing out of it. Then bring up the medical records thing from obamacare and turn it into a big general assault on the poor ethics of the whole socialist movement.

Karmashock on August 6, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Fiercely independent.

Armed.

Do not come to my door preaching politics.

I will tell you to go away. Get off my lawn.

I mean it.

ajacksonian on August 6, 2012 at 7:22 AM

If I were a democrat, this would piss me off.

The app would show a Republican who is a Democrat as well. There is no privacy anymore as long as they are collecting data. Just a matter of time before there is an app that shows what you bought at the grocery store or even your medical data.

lea on August 6, 2012 at 7:36 AM

You do not need an app for that. Just watch and see if they sleep most of the day, get up late and carry beer bottles from the garage to the curb and walk up to the mailbox to see if their government check came yet. If they don’t go to work, they are probably a liberal. I put up a great big banner that says i am not an f-in liberal. I have self respect and a job and I take showers. I do not want or need any free birth control. If the lady I am doing cannot afford her own, I don’t need to be doing her. I don’t need an abortion and i am not a LBGT. If your neighbor sleeps while you work and they party while you sleep, they are for sure a democrat.

j bo on August 6, 2012 at 10:52 AM

“The campaign is strongly committed to ensuring the safety and privacy of the public and follows up with appropriate action, including alerting appropriate authorities if necessary, in any case of abuse or inappropriate behavior,” said the [Obama campaign] spokesperson. “Any voter who requests not to be contacted again is immediately removed from any provided to volunteers.”

See that? 0bama says it is safe, so it must be so.

Be certain to pass this along to ALL of your democrat friends.

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Would it be a stretch to assume a large percentage of those Democrats houses would be gun free??? hmmmmmmmm

E9RET on August 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Even most of the Kool Aide drinkers are going to not like this.

kens on August 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I find this very helpful – now I know which neighbors I can shun and ostracize for being Democrat.

“See that man, Suzie? Avoid him; he’s a Democrat and votes stupidly.”

CatchAll on August 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM

If I had an iPhone, I would download this app so I would know who to remove from the invitation list for my annual cookout usually attended by almost all my “invited” neighbors. I would be sure not to invite those neighbors who are like Ernesto. (He’s not in my neighborhood, but I think he is fairly close by.)

Hammie on August 7, 2012 at 12:01 AM