Video: The excited train guy

posted at 8:59 pm on August 2, 2012 by Allahpundit

A palate cleanser via HuffPo and BuzzFeed, where one of the commenters describes this, perfectly aptly, as the “Double Trainbow” clip.

I think this is safe for work, but just listen to him. I don’t know, guys. I honestly don’t know.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

America has trainspotters.

lexhamfox on August 2, 2012 at 9:01 PM

The mashups/remixes of this are going TO BE EPIC!

tom daschle concerned on August 2, 2012 at 9:02 PM

If this guy sends a notebook to his psychiatrist….

Electrongod on August 2, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Dad didn’t appreciate that E-8 and horn when it took him out while drunk driving in his pick up truck.

arnold ziffel on August 2, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Fake.

sharrukin on August 2, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Don’t have a clue what he’s on about but good for him on achieving something he’s wanted for a while, apparently. I guess I’ll see him on Tosh.0 next year.

Gingotts on August 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM

That E8 was pretty nice though. My Grandfather was a Right of Way foreman on the C&EI. They ran a lot of e8′s…quite a looker.

tom daschle concerned on August 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Those trains ARE awesome – America has lost so much.

Pork-Chop on August 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM

…I just wanted a Pepsi.

29Victor on August 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM

The man likes his trains.

hisfrogness on August 2, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I didn’t know there were any BL-2′s that were still operational.

oldleprechaun on August 2, 2012 at 9:07 PM

My 3 year-old and my year-old act kind of like this when a firetruck goes by our house. I was kind of pinning my hopes on their out-growing it…..

cynccook on August 2, 2012 at 9:07 PM

…I just wanted a Pepsi.

29Victor on August 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM

LOL…now that takes me back.

hisfrogness on August 2, 2012 at 9:08 PM

arnold ziffel on August 2, 2012 at 9:05 PM

So sorry. This must have been a traumatic video for you.

BoxHead1 on August 2, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Fake.

sharrukin on August 2, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I don’t know about that; there are people out there who form unwholesome attachments to mechanical objects….

cynccook on August 2, 2012 at 9:09 PM

What’s a “foamer?” That conductor is just toying with the man now with the horn.

cynccook on August 2, 2012 at 9:11 PM

This is how Jerry Brown sounded after signing the high speed rail bill last month.

Mark1971 on August 2, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I don’t know if this particular video is satire or not, but, speaking as someone involved with the rail industry, there are actually people like this when it comes to trains. I’ve never understood it.

WhatSlushfund on August 2, 2012 at 9:11 PM

cynccook on August 2, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Where do you find this stuff?

As to the video, there is no way that an enthusiast isn’t going to walk over and inspect those trains before hand. He would know what both of them are before he started filming. My dad was one with regards to ships and they inspect everything. Its rather frightening to be honest.

sharrukin on August 2, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Thomas?

Percy? ClaraBelle? Toby?

Edward? Gordon?

Sir Topham Hatt?

PappyD61 on August 2, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Fake or not, it’s always nice to hear someone’s unbridled enthusiasm for whatever it is they’re doing, whether it be spotting trains or crafting viral YouTube videos.

Sharke on August 2, 2012 at 9:14 PM

OH no!!! It’s a BL-2 Too!!!!!

the new aesthetic on August 2, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Those trains ARE awesome – America has lost so much.

Pork-Chop on August 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I long for beautiful design and architecture again.

Paul-Cincy on August 2, 2012 at 9:16 PM

WhatSlushfund on August 2, 2012 at 9:11 PM

What do you do? My pops is actually a retired railroad engineer. He retired just a couple of years ago.

NotCoach on August 2, 2012 at 9:16 PM

lol wow..this guy REALLLYYYY loves trains

sadsushi on August 2, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I have several family members who work for BNSF (formerly Santa Fe rail). A foamer is what rail workers call Train lovers. They ‘foam’ at the mouth over trains.

FireDrake on August 2, 2012 at 9:18 PM

So sorry. This must have been a traumatic video for you.

BoxHead1 on August 2, 2012 at 9:09 PM

We didn’t much like him anyway. :)

arnold ziffel on August 2, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Where do you find this stuff?

sharrukin on August 2, 2012 at 9:12 PM

You’ll like this one: it has a surprise twist at the end! :D

cynccook on August 2, 2012 at 9:23 PM

He seems to have the knowledge. Maybe he kney the trains were being restored or he may be into HO scale model trains. There is always the possibility he is just crazy lol

sonnyspats1 on August 2, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Fun fact, the red train station behind the trains is where Teddy Roosevelt was sworn in as the 26th President of the United States. (He said he was in North Creek.) TR was on his way down Mt. Marcey and the closest judge was in North Creek.

dentalque on August 2, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Those trains ARE awesome – America has lost so much.

Pork-Chop on August 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I long for beautiful design and architecture again.

Paul-Cincy on August 2, 2012 at 9:16 PM

According to stuck up beta’s y’all are nuts.

Living history is so pedestrian to nose in the air types that don’t know it for what it is.

A P-51 with a howling Merlin doing a low pass would make them wet their pant’s.

And not in the good way that it does for others.

If you asked them wake a Centennial or Big Boy was they would look at you stupidly and wonder what language you were speaking. Heaven forbid they would ever want to know about a 4-4-0, or its importance to their current standard of living.

But, they know all about the Millennium Falcon. Go figure.

cozmo on August 2, 2012 at 9:26 PM

a foamer now is a guy that shows up at chick fil a window and berates the hired help. this guy appreciates america’s train technology/history.

newrouter on August 2, 2012 at 9:27 PM

A cousin of mine worked for CSX. When he died from Parkinson’s Disease, his grave site was at the end of the graveyard where the tracks were close by. During his graveside service, a train went by and the engineer blared a good tribute for him.

AubieJon on August 2, 2012 at 9:28 PM

PappyD61 on August 2, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Shunting trucks and hauling freight…

rogerb on August 2, 2012 at 9:30 PM

This guy needs to get a Lionel Train set and a bunch of track, quickly!

Dollayo on August 2, 2012 at 9:33 PM

railroads used to be enemy 1 for the proggtards

newrouter on August 2, 2012 at 9:33 PM

NotCoach on August 2, 2012 at 9:16 PM

My relationship to the industry is a bit peripheral. I’d rather not be more specific than that. The freight rail industry is something not a lot of average people think about day to day, but (as you no doubt know) it is a vital element of our economy. I’ve still never understood this level of fetishization though. Yet it is definitely an existing subculture.

WhatSlushfund on August 2, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I love it. We all should be passionate about SOMETHING.

SouthernGent on August 2, 2012 at 9:33 PM

WhatSlushfund on August 2, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Yeah, I it weren’t for the fact that I know people like this myself, I would have thought the same as well. I like old trains as well, but obviously not as much as this guy does.

JFS61 on August 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Who’s a virgin? This guy.

lorien1973 on August 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Hot damn, that is the best thing I’ve seen all week. I’m no foamer, but I grew up and live about 100 yards from railroad tracks and I love trains. But this guy has got us all topped. What a trip!

KGB on August 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM

“I wonder who TC Durant is. Ah, well.

AHHH! AHHH!”

LOL!

Good Lt on August 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Yeah, I if it weren’t for the fact that I know people like this myself, I would have thought the same as well. I like old trains as well, but obviously not as much as this guy does.

JFS61 on August 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Having problems typing tonight.

JFS61 on August 2, 2012 at 9:35 PM

We didn’t much like him anyway. :)

arnold ziffel on August 2, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Well, then. The universe works in mysterious ways.

cynccook on August 2, 2012 at 9:35 PM

This guy needs to get a Lionel Train set and a bunch of track, quickly!

no he has an appreciation ad knowledge of a technology that you are lacking. so you go proggtard like allanpundit and smear.

newrouter on August 2, 2012 at 9:35 PM

BTW, hello to my fellow Malleteers. I suspect this is one of you.

rogerb on August 2, 2012 at 9:36 PM

So…he likes trains I take? Sorry. Live in TX. We drive like banshees. In cars.

mimi1220 on August 2, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I love old trains and machines but that guy has be beat.

FloatingRock on August 2, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I’ve still never understood this level of fetishization though.

really tune in to sports talk radio sometime

newrouter on August 2, 2012 at 9:38 PM

The man is living life.

sharrukin on August 2, 2012 at 9:12 PM

What? No. The video was to capture the run that he captured! The walking up and touching is one thing; the run is another.

Obviously history was made. I’m not sure what history, but I’m glad to have been a witness to it. It involved a train engine. Connected to another train engine. And a horn.

Axe on August 2, 2012 at 9:38 PM

WhatSlushfund on August 2, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Lol, I won’t pry. But yeah, my Dad never was a big fan of train fans himself which kind of discouraged me from ever being that interested in his job. He retired from Norfolk Southern…or CSX. The problem is I never understand all the intricacies of the Norfolk Southern and CSX takeover of Conrail, and I was never interested enough to find out. The only stories he tells about being an engineer is about the dogs he fed around the Detroit rail yard where he stayed for the last 10 years of his career.

NotCoach on August 2, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I love the old E-8s, but I’ve always liked the FP-7s a little better, especially in SP Daylight colors. Great video, though. I’d also be lying if I said I’ve never acted crazy about old trains.

rpjkw11 on August 2, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Morticia “Gomez is that you?”

Gwillie on August 2, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Pretty trains, but how can you like trains so much?

rdbrewer on August 2, 2012 at 9:42 PM

“this level of fetishization”: of what people magazine or sports or diets or global warming?

newrouter on August 2, 2012 at 9:42 PM

That’s how train people are. Had a boss knew the history of every locomotive the US Army ever owned. Talked about some of them like they were their children.

When you think about what trains do, they are pretty impressive.

logdogsmith on August 2, 2012 at 9:42 PM

According to stuck up beta’s y’all are nuts.

A P-51 with a howling Merlin doing a low pass would make them wet their pant’s.

And not in the good way that it does for others.

But, they know all about the Millennium Falcon. Go figure.

cozmo on August 2, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Which is why, even at 40 years of age the beta males are still getting wedgies…

SWalker on August 2, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Well trains are cool, I guess. ; )

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 9:43 PM

This guy was waiting months. He has probably been planning to film it for months. He has been going over his script for a week or more now in his mind. The scripts volume intensity got out of hand for the subjects languid roll back and forth. Like a Star Wars movie.

BL@KBIRD on August 2, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Pretty trains, but how can you like trains so much?

it helps if you know about the history of trains and america. but most americans don’t know about either.

newrouter on August 2, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I love it. We all should be passionate about SOMETHING.
SouthernGent on August 2, 2012 at 9:33 PM

The only thing the dipstick is “passionate” about is trying to concoct a phony viral YT video.

whatcat on August 2, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Axe on August 2, 2012 at 9:38 PM

He was hamming it up.

“OH NO, IT’S A B-L-2, TOO!!!”

No way would this be a surprise to him.

sharrukin on August 2, 2012 at 9:45 PM

BL@KBIRD on August 2, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Either way, he’s not bothering anyone else, the conductors clearly appreciate his enthusiasm and he is charming. I’m glad he has something in his life that makes him so happy, like me, but with cake.

cynccook on August 2, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Those trains ARE awesome – America has lost so much.

Pork-Chop on August 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM

We now know Joe Biden’s username, folks.

itsnotaboutme on August 2, 2012 at 9:48 PM

whatcat on August 2, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Actually, he seems to travel around the state for his hobby.

cynccook on August 2, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Speaking of trains,

ya,we gots trains canyon tour into the wilds
of Northern Ontario,where half the camps/lodges
are American,which of course,nothing wrong with
that,and Ted Nugent has a hunting camp,somwhere
near Wawa,Ont,and yes Too Much Info!!!

Agawa Canyon Tour Train

Welcome aboard one of the most popular train tours in North America. This one-day wilderness excursion will transport you 114 miles north of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, over towering trestles, alongside pristine northern lakes and rivers and through the awesome granite rock formations and vast mixed forests of the Canadian Shield.

Through the large windows of our newly refurbished coaches the beauty of the region will unfold and you will experience the same rugged landscapes that inspired the Group of Seven to create some of Canada’s most notable landscape art.
(more…)
============

canopfor on August 2, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I love trains and I’m excited because this guy is excited. What’s the harm?

JPeterman on August 2, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I love watching these videos. I can’t identify the cars and engines but I love trains and I can watch videos like this all day (albeit with the sound turned down a bit!). And I know exactly how the guy in cyncook’s video feels, I’d love to see the inside of that legacy dining car. Thanks for posting it, cyncook! Nope, they’re not fakes, there are lots of us who love this stuff. I’m going to a passenger train conference next weekend, really looking forward to it!

Eren on August 2, 2012 at 9:49 PM

BL@KBIRD on August 2, 2012 at 9:43 PM

because at this time there are only gov’t/rahm sanction time to express joy. ax the norks.

newrouter on August 2, 2012 at 9:50 PM

hey proggtards he was #occupying the row

newrouter on August 2, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Actually, he seems to travel around the state for his hobby.
cynccook on August 2, 2012 at 9:48 PM

He’s already tried the “Excited Train Guy” act with at least 3 videos.

whatcat on August 2, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Why do I keep thinking that this is Chris Matthews/Barack Obama in the world of trains?

predator on August 2, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Is that Joe?

Joe Biden LOVES trains…

So how much did it cost the American people to move that train back & forth 100ft?

Anyone?

ccrosby on August 2, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Whether this is fake or not, I grew up 50 yards from a train track, and was rocked to sleep until I was 20. Off and on I’ve lived near train tracks, and hearing the rumble of a 150 car train with 5 engines still gives me a thrill.

itsspideyman on August 2, 2012 at 9:59 PM

He’s already tried the “Excited Train Guy” act with at least 3 videos.

whatcat on August 2, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Good grief, if he’s faking it, why does he always pick trains? Guess what, there are TONS of these videos on You Tube, nobody noticed except us train fanatics. I’ve been watching them for years! And yes, some of them do get very excited about catching something that’s not seen too often.

Eren on August 2, 2012 at 10:01 PM

NotCoach on August 2, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Your Dad’s profession was definitely a noble one. If anyone’s interested, from what I understand the major railroads are one of the few industry groups doing a lot of hiring right now. A lot of infrastructure build-out. Pass it along to anyone who is struggling right now. That and trucking. A lot of desperate hiring going on there.

WhatSlushfund on August 2, 2012 at 10:01 PM

He was hamming it up.

“OH NO, IT’S A B-L-2, TOO!!!”

No way would this be a surprise to him.

sharrukin on August 2, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Well, he’s a ham. :) But an excited, train-loving ham.

Eren on August 2, 2012 at 9:49 PM

See?

Axe on August 2, 2012 at 10:02 PM

cynccook on August 2, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Absolutely, but heavy handed corny touches creep in for nuance occasionally ;).

Missed your greeting of last week by half a day. Hello back .

BL@KBIRD on August 2, 2012 at 10:03 PM

He was hamming it up.

“OH NO, IT’S A B-L-2, TOO!!!”

No way would this be a surprise to him.

sharrukin on August 2, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Well, he’s a ham. :) But an excited, train-loving ham.

Axe on August 2, 2012 at 10:02 PM

OK, I’ll stop raining on your parade! :)

sharrukin on August 2, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Folks, it’s a parody of this.

basicbill on August 2, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I’ll have what he’s having.

EddieC on August 2, 2012 at 10:09 PM

‘Foamer’ lol

Mr. Arrogant on August 2, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I can’t believe he pwned the internet with that really, really hammy performance. AP, really?

keep the change on August 2, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Silver Streak, great movie.

williampeck1958 on August 2, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I wish I could be that excited about anything.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 2, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Eren on August 2, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I do believe I sounded just like this guy the first time I saw a humpback whale breach when I was in Maui.

JPeterman on August 2, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Who’s a virgin? This guy.

lorien1973 on August 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Sounded like he just lost it, to me!

db on August 2, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Don’t you guys recognize that voice? That’s the “Thank you sweet merciful Gawd Mr President for taking time out of your busy day!!!” douchebag…

PointnClick on August 2, 2012 at 10:16 PM

norfolk got the pennsylvania rr csx new york central. see penncentral

newrouter on August 2, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Good grief, if he’s faking it, why does he always pick trains?
Eren on August 2, 2012 at 10:01 PM

He’s got the act and the script down, switching to “Excited Rainbow Guy” mode would be work – and besides, it’s already been done. But he entertains some people, like the rainbow guy he emulates, and that’s fine.

whatcat on August 2, 2012 at 10:17 PM

what’s with college football? affirmative action dudes beating up other dudes. and the sports talk radio beat goes on.

newrouter on August 2, 2012 at 10:20 PM

PointnClick on August 2, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Lil, Julio Osegueda? The Fryolator operator at McDonalds?

tom daschle concerned on August 2, 2012 at 10:20 PM

yea well maybe take some time to study american history.

newrouter on August 2, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I get this excited when I see a beer truck…

RMCS_USN on August 2, 2012 at 10:23 PM

JPeterman on August 2, 2012 at 10:16 PM

:-D

I’d probably sound like that just to see Maui!

Eren on August 2, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I had no idea such people and videos exist.

I enjoyed it though I don’t really know why he was so excited.

A little fun, much needed.

Jvette on August 2, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Trains can be cool unless you’re in Texas and either going to work or on the way home from and a long train goes by and then STOPS for twenty minutes.

TigerPaw on August 2, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Line of the year: “…that doesn’t stop a foamer! Ooooohhhh, especially when it comes to heritage equipment!”

Absolutely hilarious! I’m trusting “foamer” has something to do with trains…if not, DUDE!

The Hort on August 2, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Now if I had a camera in the boat with these folks I would make no promises of an uncontrolled delivery either.

BL@KBIRD on August 2, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Foamer: someone who foams at the mouth over trains. Also known as “rivet counters.” (we would joke that if someone mixed railroads and hot babes together, the foamers would be mad because the girls would block the details of the machine)

oprockwell on August 2, 2012 at 10:43 PM