Reid: Romney is guilty of my evidence-free accusations until he proves himself innocent; Update: Repeats accusation on floor of Senate

posted at 9:51 am on August 2, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Let’s see if we can get the Democratic Party philosophy of late correct.  Unless a business owner foots the entire bill for his employees’ contraceptives, he must pay ruinous fines even when his religious practice forbids participating in contraception and sterilization.  Similarly, business owners who want to open a restaurant in places like Chicago and Boston have to publicly vow to support the Democratic Party’s agenda and stop allying with groups that oppose it, or else have mayors and councilmen threaten to put the business owners out of business. And if a Democratic Party leader accuses you of a crime with no evidence whatsoever, you are expected to be considered guilty unless you prove yourself innocent.

Welcome to Harry Reid’s America:

We noted yesterday that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid told the Huffington Post that what he claimed was a Bain Capital investor had called him to say Mitt Romney didn’t pay taxes for ten years – without saying who told him this, or what basis there was for the claim.

Earlier today, he doubled down on the unsubstantiated claim with reporters in Nevada:

“I am not basing this on some figment of my imagination,” Reid said in a telephone call with Nevada reporters. “I have had a number of people tell me that.”

Asked to elaborate on his sources, Reid declined. “No, that’s the best you’re going to get from me.”

“I don’t think the burden should be on me,” Reid said. “The burden should be on him. He’s the one I’ve alleged has not paid any taxes. Why didn’t he release his tax returns?”

Really?  Is that how it works in the US?  A government official accuses someone of a felony, and the burden of proof falls on the accused?  Funny, I missed that in my civics class.

Note too that the number of sources has magically grown from one person — supposedly an “insider” in Bain, who would have had no access to Romney’s personal tax information in the first place — to “a number of people.”  Who were these people, Senator?  What was the “number” of sources you have for this accusation?  And how, pray tell, did they have access to Romney’s private tax information? The answers to these questions, I suspect, will come from the same source that Reid used in the first place — his own rear end.

First we have Democratic mayors in Boston and Chicago acting like thugs, and now we’re getting McCarthyism from Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.  In three short weeks, the Democratic Party has utterly disgraced itself, from its leadership on down.

Update: Jon Stewart ripped Reid on last night’s show for the original accusation, but mostly for the addendum that George Romney would be “embarrassed” over the issue:

Stewart said Reid was just throwing around ridiculous speculations that he “pulled out of [his] ass” over Romney’s taxes, remarking that wild, irresponsible speculation over what is in Romney’s taxes is more the job of a late night comic than a sitting senator.

But, as Stewart noted, “people throw around baseless accusations all the time” in political campaigns without having the facts to back them up. What makes Reid particularly terrible in this case? Stewart highlighted Reid’s comment that George Romney would be “embarrassed” for what his son is doing. This led Stewart to make a slight change to the segment title: “You, Harry Reid, Are Really, Really Terrible.” Stewart tore into Reid for playing the “dead card.”

But Reid has a little list of one! – no, seven! – no, fourteen! – no, eight! – sources for this claim that he can’t name. Doesn’t that count for anything?

UpdateII: Reid just repeated the accusation on the floor of the Senate:

He’s refused to release his tax returns, as we know. If a person coming before this body wanted to be a cabinet officer, he couldn’t be if he did the same refusal Mitt Romney does about tax returns. So the word’s out that he hasn’t paid any taxes for ten years. Let him prove that he has paid taxes, because he hasn’t. We already know from one partial tax return that he gave us, he has money hidden in Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, and a Swiss bank account. Not making that up, that’s in the partial year that he gave us. Mitt Romney makes more money in a single day than the average middle-class family makes in two years–or more.

I know that the term “Senate ethics” is often an oxymoron, but doesn’t accusing a political opponent from the Senate floor of a felony without offering a shred of proof violate some kind of ethics rule?  “The word’s out” refers only to Harry Reid and Harry Reid alone.  Not only is this despicable and grossly irresponsible, it should be actionable in court.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

So what would happen is a GOP Senator with the cojones (asking a lot, I know) gets up on the Senate floor and makes some similarly outrageous claim and charge against Reid? Is there a Senator who would do it?

farsighted on August 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Exactly what I expect…along with a call for censorship…

Making false accusations is normally not tolerated, even in the Senate.

right2bright on August 2, 2012 at 2:50 PM

What’s the backstory on why Reid even brought this up on the Senate floor?
theperfecteconomist on August 2, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Avoiding passing a budget?

txhsmom on August 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM

An anonymous source who I will not reveal told me that Harry Reid assisted Coach Jerry Sandusky in raping dozens of boys at Penn State over the course of years.

I have no proof, but somebody told me this. No, I will not disclose their identity. You should take these allegations as truth unless Harry Reid can show proof he was at a different location during these rapes.

Vegi on August 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I don’t know what disgusts me more the fact that Harrah Reid can throw around such a baseless accusation and not get called on the carpet for it or the idiotic liberals that repeat this rumor as fact. I seriously don’t know how any sane person can be a liberal.

jrfromdallas on August 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Let’s see. We know that he has money in Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, and a Swiss bank account based on his income tax return. If we figured out that he had money in offshore investments from his own tax returns, then he must not have done much of a job of hiding it.

I really wonder if this guy has a clue from moment to moment about what is getting ready to come out of his mouth.

35tww on August 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM

And it will get even worse…They have accused Mitt of committing a felony now twice. What will they come up with next?

d1carter on August 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Someone ask Reid when he stopped beating his wife please…make him prove it.

jrfromdallas on August 2, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Can’t wait for Chris Hayess to tut tut, Juan Williams to poo poo, one of the chics to say Romney really should fork it over and Krauthammer to eviserate the Dingy Hairy Reed on the Panel.

ConcealedKerry on August 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Someone ask Reid when he stopped beating his wife please…make him prove it.

jrfromdallas on August 2, 2012 at 2:57 PM

You can call him ask him…I called his office and said that I heard he was a con artist and a thief who had gotten rich working with the mob and using his office..not that I could prove it or anything…but it was up to him to prove me wrong..after all, he himself had made it plain those are the rules.

Terrye on August 2, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Someone probably already mentioned this, but here it is again.
How is the Mormon Church Leadership going to respond to this?

This is hardly something they can be “neutral” on.

listens2glenn on August 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Nanzi chimes in:
“we have to make the unfounded accusations before we can know if they are fake”

Strike Hornet on August 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Someone probably already mentioned this, but here it is again.
How is the Mormon Church Leadership going to respond to this?

This is hardly something they can be “neutral” on.

listens2glenn on August 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I don’t think they will have any choice but to excommunicate Harry

SomeCallMeJohn on August 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM

No, that is playing the filthy rats game. Romney needs to come out and demand an investigation how it is that Reid is getting ANY information about Romney’s tax returns. If it is just heresay, Reid needs to name names. If he has actual documents he needs to explain where he got them.

Happy Nomad on August 2, 2012 at 1:17 PM

The privacy act of 1974 allows members of congress to access any govt records on any private citizen they like, any time they want, just by demanding it. Oh, sure, they have to give some reason why such records are necessary to share with the MoC, but what career bureaucrat will refuse the request of the senate majority leader? Odd that the republicans never chose to get rid of that exemption when they had the chance for all those years.

reid has had those records for years. He knows exactly what’s in them. More to the point, so has the IRS. Does anyone here think it’s outside the realm of possibility for a last-minute (late October) audit to suddenly appear out of nowhere? Or even charges of tax evasion? Yeah, me neither.

runawayyyy on August 2, 2012 at 3:17 PM

listens2glenn on August 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I don’t think they will have any choice but to excommunicate Harry

SomeCallMeJohn on August 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM

That’s how I see it.

And the Vatican should excommunicate Nancy.

listens2glenn on August 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM

jrfromdallas on August 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM

You guys seriously think that liberals have NOT seen Romney’s returns and simply make “baseless accusations”? We keep forgetting that Romney moved hefty amounts from European and Island banks to local ones, fairly recently, none of us know how any of this was “accounted for”.

Not arguing that Romney did anything illegal, I have no idea. But neither do you.

Let’s see where this is going. Something tells me that Romney’s tax returns will magically appear on the web come October and what we’re seeing now will be just used as an “excuse” for the document dump.

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM

runawayyyy on August 2, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Funny, we typed same thing at the same time :-)

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 3:24 PM

. . . .

runawayyyy on August 2, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Citation, please?

Trochilus on August 2, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Lets be clear, we are all asking Obama for his records, and we certainly would not say his tax records are of no importance to voters. As a public servant, their tax records are certainly something we should look at in determining if they have the character we seek in our public servants.

Being very conservative with one’s money (not giving too much to government) compared with tax cheating for instance. Use of government handouts in the form of tax deductions for following government directives such as adding solar to one’s home, compared to say getting deductions for charitable giving.

Romney acts like a perfect person who does no wrong, let him provide the impervious to attack tax returns! I want to see them.

astonerii on August 2, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Unfortunately, nothing Reid says on the Senate floor is actionable. He could call Romney an incestuous Scientologist who sells little girls to the Sinaloa cartel and nothing could be done about it.

Athanasius on August 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Wonder if dingy Harry could pass the smell test if we saw hia tax records for the last 10 years, how did he become a millionaire? not honestly I guarantee you,Casino kickbacks.
That’s the way liberals think if they did something bad project it onto a Republican, they really are slimeballs.
I can’t wait for Nov. but with our votes being counted by a firm in Spain connected to Soros, and there is no paper ballots to recount pretty scary.

concernedsenior on August 2, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Athanasius on August 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Yes. But that does in no way mean that he hasn’t seen Romney’s tax returns by now.

Its been said before, by me and others, many a time, there WAS a reason for Hussein WANTING no one but Romney. We played well into their hands. Or not.

October will tell.

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 3:52 PM

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM

The first part of your comment is why the dems have done this. They have out a doubt in your head. Romney’s tax returns have been audited from day one! He is not a cheat (like the dems), he is ethical (unlike the dems). BTW, I think the white hiuse has had his tax returns for months now.
Have you heard how many in the admin and congress have money in other islands? No, I didn’t think so. Have you heard that dingy hairy is deeply involved in the green energy. He gives them tax money, they donate to him. Then the company goes belly up.

He is a disgrace to this country, his family and his church!

Bambi on August 2, 2012 at 3:56 PM

35tww on August 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM

He knows exactly what he is saying. This is all just background chatter to paint Romney as a rich tax cheat who hid money in swiss bank accounts. This single speech won’t convince anybody. It is simply background noise to be repeated, and repeated, and repeated by various sources until “Tax cheat Romney” flows out of common people’s mouths like the words “Kim Kardashian.”

A Senate floor speech has now gotten time on HotGas, Huffpo, John Stewart, and countless other sources. The context will be long forgotten, but “Tax cheat Romney” will be a little more ingrained in the lexicon.

tdarrington on August 2, 2012 at 3:58 PM

astonerii on August 2, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Nothing in his business career or his government career or in the olympics gives you any right to say he must prove he is honest!
He has not taken 1 cent from any of them! He has dionated all of his inheritance to charity! There is not a hint of scandal in his entire life and yet you listen to these low lifes in the dem party.
obama is the one who used drugs, didn’t attend much of school his last 2 years in high school, who lived with a woman while in college, who sat in a church that preached anti americanism from the pulpit, had a communist for a mother, grandparents, and a pedophile mentor.

Bambi on August 2, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Stop taking these Democrats for dupes. They are not stupid. Every word is carefully planned for a desired effect (yes, even Biden). We underestimate them at our peril.

tdarrington on August 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM

hE ONLY HAS TO RELEASE 2 YEARS AND HE IS DFOING THAT! i WANT TO SEE REID’S TAX RETURN, (whoops didn’t mean capes) in fact I thimk tht anyone running for office has to provide 2 years of their tax returns and show that they paid. Are you so stupid to think that Romney’s tax returns haven’t been audited every year he’s been earning money?

Bambi on August 2, 2012 at 4:04 PM

If I were Romney, there is no way I would release my taxes now. He should sit back and play rope-a-dope for about 75 days and then release them right before the election.

jeffn21 on August 2, 2012 at 4:10 PM

#HarryReidisaPederast now trending on Twitter. I hope he makes a statement proving this false soon.

ktrich on August 2, 2012 at 4:10 PM

“a number of people” — sounds plausible to me! Zero’s still a number, right?

rayward on August 2, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Bambi on August 2, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Huh!?

Are you for real or just another brain washed “deep thinker”?

EVERYTHING about Romney leads to more and more questions, you obviously missed plenty of my posts on the subject.

Let’s recap your “honest” guy’s RECORD, FACTUAL RECORD:

Self admitted PROGRESSIVE LIBERAL. Running as “conservative”.
FOR ABORTIONS, FACTUAL ON RECORD. Acted on it while governor.
FOR GUN CONTROL. Acted on it while governor.
FOR INCREASED TAXES. Acted on it while governor.
ROMNEYCARE. Acted on it while governor.

What subject has he NOT flip-flopped?

Let’s not go there at this point, just try to think for yourself instead of re-posting Romney camp talking points. The guy is an out and out liar. Not as bad as Hussein, of course, very few are, but one must be insane to consider Romney an honest man.

As I laredy pointed out above, I have not seen Romney’s tax returns nor do I want to. I have no idea what’s in them. BUT NEITHER DO YOU.

So, who’s the idiot here, Bambi? Or is that you, Mitt, having nothing else to do today?

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:16 PM

tdarrington on August 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Yeah, but we’re idiots according to BAMBI…

/s

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:17 PM

How is the Mormon Church Leadership going to respond to this?

This is hardly something they can be “neutral” on.

listens2glenn on August 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I don’t think they will have any choice but to excommunicate Harry

SomeCallMeJohn on August 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I don’t think they will.

It would be portrayed in the media and by the churches critics as the church hierarchy dictating to church members what their political beliefs should be. The bretheren who lead the church are smarter than to set foot in that trap.

Ultimately, Harry Reid will face God some day as we all will. His sins will be dealt with.

Alberta_Patriot on August 2, 2012 at 4:18 PM

astonerii on August 2, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I believe, Sir or Madam, that according to the Constitution and the laws of this country, that the burden of proof lies with the accuser.

For now.

Tenwheeler on August 2, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Unfortunately he’s what we got. We have to dance with the one we brung. The only other possible choice is Gary “Obama does everything I propose” Johnson.

tdarrington on August 2, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Good luck getting Mormon votes in Nevada if you decide to run for re-election, Dirty Harry.
For that matter, given the gawd-awful economy, unemployment, and housing collapse there, good luck getting anyone’s vote. You have jumped the shark this time, and that is saying a lot.

I have to wonder what Nevadans were thinking when they elected this lying, corrupt barnacle. You really took a gamble on this one, Harry. Did you think alienating your fellow Mormons and constituents was worth it? You have no shame, but then again, you’re a desperate Democrat.

Philly on August 2, 2012 at 4:26 PM

tdarrington on August 2, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I fully understand.

Too bad others have to post open lies to defend a liar. I also find it strange that people defend Romney without ever seeing his tax returns. As I stated last week, just the way liberals are going after this subject tells me they DO KNOW something that we have yet to find out.

And I will point out the obvious once more: THERE WAS A CLEAR REASON THAT HUSSEIN WANTED NO ONE BUT ROMNEY.

Liberals were ready a year ago. October may prove really interesting.

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM

So Romney can take Tim Geitners Treasury Secretary position as Timmy failed to pay his taxes and ruined the economy. At the least, Romney can repair the damage.

Release when Obowma releases his school records, real estate deal info for his Chicago home by a felon, Tony Rezko, Ayers associations…

dthorny on August 2, 2012 at 4:39 PM

If they knew anything scandalous, the records would have leaked. A real scandal is better than a supposed scandal. Dems are a winner either way with this. Right now they can suppose all of the fantastic stories they want, and Romney looks worse and worse for not releasing. When the records are released, Dems will contort the numbers to create a scandal.

The irony of the birth certificate and college records is lost on these people.

tdarrington on August 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Tenwheeler on August 2, 2012 at 4:22 PM

You lost me at “… the laws…”. Even Chief Justice Roberts has no idea what a “law” is, what the hell are you talking about then? Just looked up “law” in Webster’s, definition missing.

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Funny how the PIAd lib trolls here attack phony stories about Romney not releasing tax records. The FACT is Romney would already be in jail if he hadn’t paid them.

Pure liberal BS. If records were important, Mr nontransparency, Obowma should release his records on cocaine sales to minors, health records, his endless lies about cut taxes when he raised cigarette taxes on EVERYONE his first year.

dthorny on August 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM

If they knew anything scandalous, the records would have leaked.

tdarrington on August 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Its not October yet, is it?

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Riddick,
Do the math.

Some of that ten years covers his last run at the presidency. Some of those tax returns were examined at that point.

Have some Kool-aid on me.

Tenwheeler on August 2, 2012 at 4:45 PM

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Now you are just out and out lying.

Three clicks on the Internet:

Tenwheeler on August 2, 2012 at 4:48 PM

May have chapped the Bam-master.

I’ll try it another way.

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Three clicks on the Internet:

Tenwheeler on August 2, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Release Fast and Furious records. THAT is the true scandal where hundreds have died at the hands of Obowma and Holder.

dthorny on August 2, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I heard from reliable sources that Harry was a member of a Neveda ‘choom gang’ and until he can prove o/w he’s a habitual Ganga Yamuna smoker.

GodogGo on August 2, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Because you believe everything a lie-beral tells you?

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Which is why democrats crossed over for Santorum during the primaries?

I don’t know what the Obama campaign is paying you, but it’s too much.

Alberta_Patriot on August 2, 2012 at 4:55 PM

. . . .

runawayyyy on August 2, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Citation, please?

Trochilus on August 2, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Section (b) (9)

Did you really not believe me? Or are you looking to prove this to someone else?

runawayyyy on August 2, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Tenwheeler on August 2, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I keep repeating that I have no idea what is in those returns. BUT NEITHER DO YOU ANY OF YOU. And yet, you guys keep on posting as if you are absolutely sure. Interesting position you got.

Do I want to see Romney’s tax returns? Read my post above. AND I REPEAT, AGAIN. NO. I DON’T WANT TO SEE THE. DON’T CARE ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

Is that clear enough for you guys?

I am simply pointing out that there MAY BE something to these accusations, after all, seeing how persistently and openly they keep going at it. There may not be clear unlawful deductions/numbers/banks in those returns, but they may be, just may be, seen as “questionable” to those so called “independents”, aka liberals hiding out as “I think for myself”.

Please tell me where my reasoning is wrong. And tell me why is it that Hussein wanted Romney, and no one but Romney since Day 1.

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

October will tell.

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Actually, if there was anything in them damaging we’d already have seen it. Ask Jack Ryan.

runawayyyy on August 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM

runawayyyy on August 2, 2012 at 4:55 PM

RomneyBots prove once again how blind and deaf they are.

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Liberals were ready a year ago. October may prove really interesting.

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Oh STF up already. If they knew something it sould be out there. Obama campaign wouldn’t sit eith their azz on such it if they had something. There’s nothing out there but allegations.he’s been audited hundreds of times while at bain, how could you be so imbecilic to believe that he didn’t pay taxes. You sound like a birther. The law does not require for him to show more than a year of his tax returns, how about you shut up and follow the law, or is it too much for you to ask…

jimver on August 2, 2012 at 4:58 PM

runawayyyy on August 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Like I said, let’s wait and see. Something tells me liberals are not done with all of their cards…

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:59 PM

October will tell.

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 3:52 PM

If they has something against Romney then Obama and his fools would not be acting so desperate and in complete panic. Just watch how they behave and you can tell how desperate and afraid they are… They have nothing to show for and nothing to attack with…

mnjg on August 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

He didn’t. He wanted Santorum.

Lies like what Dingy Harry tells are all you people have left.

Alberta_Patriot on August 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM

jimver on August 2, 2012 at 4:58 PM

You’re obviously reading comprehension challenged, read my posts above and point out where is it that I claimed he didn’t pay his taxes.

Idiots usually show true to form. You do know about “assume”, I hope, even being immigrant and all. But since we’re talking about Romney supporter here, idiot seems the norm rather than exception.

Carry on, boys, keep assuming liberals have no idea what they are doing at your own peril.

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Tenwheeler on August 2, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Is that clear enough for you guys?

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Right, the birthers went very persistently after Obama’s birth certificate too, they too said and everybody else (probalbly you included) went on and on and about the fact that there must be something true in those accusations that he wasn’t born here, blah, blah……yeah, what did they find, squat….right….well, there’s your logic flaw right there, or reasonig, as you put it…just because they go persistently after it, doesn’t mean there’s anything to it…

jimver on August 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Unnamed sources stated that Harry Reid molests his dog on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays… and molests his neighbor’s dog in front of their neighbor’s children on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

No word yet on whether PETA has demanded Harry Reid’s immediate arrest on animal cruelty and contributing to the delinquency of minors offenses until Harry Reid is able to produce evidence (or an official canine “marriage” certificate signed by Sebelius and Holder) to disprove such charges.

viking01 on August 2, 2012 at 5:05 PM

From my link above….

(b) Conditions of disclosure

No agency shall disclose any record which is contained in a system of records by any means of communication to any person, or to another agency, except pursuant to a written request by, or with the prior written consent of, the individual to whom the record pertains, unless disclosure of the record would be–

(9) to either House of Congress, or, to the extent of matter within its jurisdiction, any committee or subcommittee thereof, any joint committee of Congress or subcommittee of any such joint committee;

As you can see, my original assertion was incorrect….they don’t even have to give a reason for demanding Romney’s tax records. Being in congress appears to be sufficient. They’ve had these records for years folks.

runawayyyy on August 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM

He didn’t. He wanted Santorum.

Lies like what Dingy Harry tells are all you people have left.

Alberta_Patriot on August 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Keep saying it to yourself, but it won’t make it true. Read their statements of summer of LAST YEAR, they ALWAYS “assumed” it will be Romney.

You guys keep telling yourself there is nothing here here, Reid is a moron, etc, etc, etc. And yet this same moron has been giving it to entire GOP, without vaseline, for years now. So, who’s the moron, really?

Anyway, back to work.

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Well, if he declared it on his taxes, then it’s not hidden is it?

You freakin moron.

AZ_Mike on August 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM

what the heck are you even talking aout : ‘even being immigrant’ – who??? Who the heck are you talking about??

jimver on August 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Harry Reid isn’t saying Romney broke the law. He is saying that Romney didn’t pay any taxes. Romney may not in fact have paid any taxes and done so legally. This would still be rather damaging to Romney if it is in fact true.

This may be a bluff on Reid’s part in an attempt to buffalo Romney into releasing the tax returns.

It may be a statement of fact due to Reid illegally having had a look at Romney’s returns, which I wouldn’t put past these guys at all.

If it isn’t a bluff, those returns are going to see the light of day one way or another. That is how Obama rolls.

sharrukin on August 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I’m sorry did I miss Harry’s outrageous outrage over Geitner, et al who actually DID pay no taxes for like 8 years when their nominations came before the Senate?

Also, isn’t there such a thing as slander laws? I don’t know how they work. Can someone enlighten us? Because this seems like a pretty public slandering to me.

UnderstandingisPower on August 2, 2012 at 5:09 PM

runawayyyy on August 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:59 PM

No, of course they aren’t done. They are only getting started. The issue is that they can now say anything they like and never be held accountable for it. They’ve accused Romney of being a felon, and they aren’t beating around the bush. And it’ll work too.

This used to be actionable, even if said on the floor of the senate. Slander is slander, but I don’t believe for a minute the wronged party (Romney) will do one damn thing about it.

runawayyyy on August 2, 2012 at 5:12 PM

UnderstandingisPower on August 2, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Thats an interesting point.

sharrukin on August 2, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Obama’s 2010 tax return:

He claimed:
$3,000 in Capital Gains loss
$22,215 Foreign Tax credit (1.3% of income)
$78,269 in state and local taxes (4.5% of income)
$49,945 in home mortgage interest (2.9% of income)
$245,075 in gifts to charity (14.2% of income)

For a total of $373,289 in deductions out of an income of $1,728,096 for a deduction percentage of 21.6%

In 2010 Romney claimed the following deductions:
$557 in tax exempt interest (.025% of income)
$129,697 Foreign tax credit (0.6% of income)
$898,946 in state and local taxes (4.2% of income)
$51,444 in investment interest (0.24% of income)
$2,983,974 in gifts to charity (13.8% of income)

For a total of $4,519,140 in deductions out of an income of $21,646,507 for a deduction percentage of 20.9%

And in 2011?

Obama took a total itemized deduction of $278,498 out of an AGI of $789,684. For a total deduction that was 35.3% of his income.

Romney took a total itemized deduction of $5,688,179 out of an AGI of $20,901,875. For a total deduction that was 27.2% of his income.

See how I did that Mr. Scumbag Reid? I used actual numbers and not made up bullcrap.

MFn G I M P on August 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Liberals were ready a year ago. October may prove really interesting.

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Oh good grief, the three-dimensional chess BS again? Come on.

THEY GOT NOTHING. They’re trying to fan enough smoke that some confused voters will think there is some fire there. They have their paid trolls out on all the blogs and comment sections yelling “where’s the tax returns!!111!!!

Look at how easily they got Herman Cain. That was an Axelrod production. They’re having a much harder time sliming Mitt Romney because he has no personal scandals. They know damn well there isn’t anything in his tax returns either.

rockmom on August 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM

LOL

@MittRomney I’m looking forward to @SenatorReid releasing his sources, and we’ll probably find out it’s the White House.

rockmom on August 2, 2012 at 5:28 PM

MFn G I M P on August 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Little Bammie used the home mortgage interest loophole to evade taxes? Hold the phone!!!!!!!!!

slickwillie2001 on August 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM

(b) Conditions of disclosure

runawayyyy on August 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM

As we can see, you’re full of crap. The law says nothing about individual members of Congress having the power to access anything whatsoever. The disclosure must be made to the entire House or Senate, or to a committee or subcommittee.

RINO in Name Only on August 2, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Vegi on August 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM

He did? Clearly this allegation is serious enough to warrant investigation! I join you in your demand that Dingy Harry produce proof that he did not aid and abet the rape of children at PSU!

MJBrutus on August 2, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Harry Reid preformed oral sex on a donkey in a Tiajuana show in the 1960′s. I don’t have proof but he has to show us otherwise.

deimos on August 2, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Gee .. you’d think there might be some entity that has access to the inside information, and was in a position to look into all this criminal activity .. like the freakin IRS !

It’s not like the Feds would go after DingyHarry for the congressional equivalent of “filing a false police report”, or whatever ..

CaveatEmpty on August 2, 2012 at 5:49 PM

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM

No they didn’t. He’s the last person they wanted to run against.
They’ve got nothing on him hence the class warfare.
RDS has turned your brain to mush.

Buttercup on August 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I believe this is a very good play by Team Romney in the same way Team Obie did the birth certificate..Nice play by Team Romney!..:)

PS..Harry Reid is a fool..Why should anyone believe this slander?..:)

Dire Straits on August 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Reid rocks! I love him and that he represents the people who vote for him. Awesome! History and historians will love him too. There are not enough gaffaws available for the future readers of his story.

Limerick on August 2, 2012 at 6:10 PM

LOL

rockmom on August 2, 2012 at 5:28 PM

And the White House is appalled that anyone would accuse it of leaking Mitt Romney’s confidential IRS records.

Harry was never in a hurry to release his tax returns. Quid pro quo, Harry?

Philly on August 2, 2012 at 6:11 PM

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

riddick on August 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Crossover Democrats overwhelmingly back Santorum

Democrats unleash pro-Santorum Robo Call

Your problem here isn’t that you lie so much. It’s that your lies are so easily exposed. If all one needs to nail you is type three words into google and hit “enter”, then why tell the lie in the first place?

Your bosses in Chicago will not be giving you a bonus check this week, Obama Bin-CaughtLyin.

You know that “assumed” and “wanted” have different ,meanings don’t you?

Alberta_Patriot on August 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM

As I have said, you cannot disgrace the graceless or shame the shameless.

Huckabye-Romney on August 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Actually dirty harry’s claim is true. Mitt Romney did not pay taxes for 10 years – the 10 years following Mitt’s birth. Not only did he NOT pay ANY taxes, he didn’t even file any tax returns!

katablog.com on August 2, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Remember the Manchurian Candidate; specifically Senator John Yerkes Iselin, a McCarthy-like demagogue who is dismissed by most people as a fool. Some dialogue from the 1962 movie (Manchurian Candidate), and some cut and paste.
Defense announces cuts in the Defense Department budget, “Since no great naval power menaces the free world today, the Navy’s overwhelming preponderance of surface ships seems to be superfluous, hence the cuts in budget.”
With grand-standing tactics and Commie-baiting witch-hunting delivered from the audience, ‘Joe McCarthy-ish’ Senator Iselin stands – in the background – and delivers bombastic, arbitrary rantings about the Secretary’s conclusions, “I have here a list of the names of 207 persons who are known by the Secretary of Defense as being members of the Communist Party…I demand an answer, Mr. Secretary. There will be no covering up, sir, no covering up. You are not going to get your hands on this list. And I deeply regret having to say…”

Later he amends his calculation and states that there are 104 “card-carrying Communists in the Defense Department,” then 275 – he cannot even remember exactly how many Commies are on his list.

Now we’re getting McCarth-like speeches from Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. Reid has a little list of one! – no, seven! – no, fourteen! – no, eight! – sources for this claim that he can’t name.

Brainwashed Major Marcos Senator Reid, “Raymond Shaw Barck Obama is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I’ve ever known in my life.”

HHW on August 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM

WHY? Do you honestly expect Presidential candidates to pay something they do not owe? Wouldn’t it be an indictment on tax law?

I know for a fact there are years Obama didn’t pay taxes. But then, it’s pretty clear he probably didn’t owe taxes those years. Should he have paid anyway since some day he was going to run for President?

katablog.com on August 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Because it plays into the Democratic attacks that Romney is an out of touch aristocrat and adds fuel to the class warfare fire.

Its politics, and very often reason takes a back seat to emotion.

katablog.com on August 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Obama isn’t held to the same standards as Republicans…in fact as far as I can tell, he isn’t held to any standard at all.

sharrukin on August 2, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I think it was because the modern democratic party is the party of class warfare and bammy sees everything through his statist red colored glasses. To them, Romney is the perfect foil. Rich, good looking, Dudley do right corporate raider type. Now they just have to finish painting the picture. It is how they got my Dad, a staunchly Irish catholic, anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage to vote democrat all his life…class warfare pure and simple.

I think they overestimate their cleverness, though I am concerned the ignorant moocher class will eat this stuff up.

Huckabye-Romney on August 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM

This has been out there for enought time for that great wussy McConnell to do something about it. If there is nothing he can do then he needs to be replaced. I will contact my two go-along senators, Coburn and Inhofe, to see if they are going to do anything. They are good at talk, but when push comes to shove, they are the shovees.

Old Country Boy on August 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I suppose Reid can get away with it because decent folks are usually just too responsible to stoop to such levels.

Russ808 on August 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Hey, Harry, what’s Lefty pay you these days?

Another Drew on August 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Hey! Someone told me that Harry Reid told lil Timmy Turbo that he DID NOT HAVE TO PAY HIS TAXES

skeeterbite on August 2, 2012 at 7:24 PM

The wife just asked me, “What’s wrong with this country?” I told her not to worry about it ’cause it’s on the verge of collapse anyway.

Woody

woodcdi on August 2, 2012 at 7:37 PM

As if dead people and illegal aliens really think a lot about politics.

Oh, that’s not the constituency that got you elected Harry?

Prove me wrong, I’ll retract that.

popup on August 2, 2012 at 7:48 PM

you remember that guy Tim geithner? anybody how did he get passed the senate floor without paying his taxes??

TheIkrim on August 2, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Even though Mitt is running for Prez, at this time, isn’t he still a private citizen? Whats this bringing his tax returns up on the Senate floor? Maligning a private citizen, is he? Cant the IRS just clear this up? They don’t even need to release them

skeeterbite on August 2, 2012 at 8:23 PM

skeeterbite on August 2, 2012 at 8:23 PM

If someone at the IRS spoke up for Governor Romney, Valerie Jarrett would rip him or her a new one. That’s not going to happen.

slickwillie2001 on August 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM

jrfromdallas on August 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM

It’s getting beyond bad, isn’t it?

WTF? is wrong with us, that this and Pelosi’s “Are You Serious?” response to a question of Constitutionality go unquestioned; unanswered?

How do we return to sanity, to rational respect of the Enumerated Powers?

I dunno, I’m hunkering down – I fear it’s about to get SERIOUSLY Ugly.

Who is John Galt on August 2, 2012 at 8:53 PM

sharrukin on August 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM

If Mitt knows how to play Hardball, he’ll force out Zero’s college records…

Who is John Galt on August 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM

The lefties pulled the same stunt with Palin and accused her of multiple offenses all were bogus but she had to defend herself with lawyers and the cost was outstanding. The GOP better fight fire with fire and the warm fuzzies won’t work in this election.

mixplix on August 2, 2012 at 9:01 PM