Quotes of the day

posted at 10:51 pm on August 2, 2012 by Allahpundit

“I am not basing this on some figment of my imagination,” Reid told Nevada reporters Wednesday. “I have had a number of people tell me that.” But he would not expand on his sources. “I don’t think the burden should be on me,” he said. “The burden should be on him. He’s the one I’ve alleged has not paid any taxes.”…

[T]his accusation is not an off-hand remark or an accident, or Reid wouldn’t be repeating it so often. He clearly sees an upside in making these claims — whether he has some proof, is trying to goad Romney into releasing the returns, or is just taking advantage of the fact that the Republican won’t prove him wrong.

***

“I don’t know how you go out there and make a statement like that without any facts,” Boehner said during an appearance on “Kilmeade and Friends.” “It’s one of the problems that occurs here in Washington, people run out there without any facts and just make noise. The American people are too smart for this, they’ll get to the bottom of this, it clearly is not a fact, and I would think that the Senate majority leader would be smart enough to know that.”

***

How likely is it that the Internal Revenue Service didn’t notice this phenomenon for ten straight years? How likely is it that an IRS employee would open the envelope with the Romneys’ returns, but no check for the amount owed, and shrug their shoulders and move on to the next envelope?

How likely is it that as Romney became more and more prominent as a CEO, as an Olympic organizer, as governor, and as a presidential candidate that no one at the IRS would notice a glaring ten year period where he paid no taxes, even though he presumably would owe some considerable sum?

How plausible do fact-checking organizations finds the notion that when you invest in Bain Capital, the first thing they do is reveal the multi-year personal tax evasion of the CEO? Has any investor ever gotten a chance to look at the tax returns of the CEO of their money management firm?

***

Brilliantly played. Make the accusation as broad as possible—10 years!—so that Romney will want to demonstrate that Reid (or Reid’s source) is a liar by releasing tax records showing he only paid zero taxes for, say, three years. Reid shrugs, says, “I guess my guy was exaggerating.” Romney’s candidacy takes a huge and possibly fatal hit. Advantage: Obama.

But Romney isn’t falling for it. And now Reid’s getting sloppy, raising the stakes by saying, “I have had a number of people tell me that.” Really? More than one person has told Reid that Romney didn’t pay his taxes for 10 years? No way is anybody going to believe that. Advantage: Romney.

***

Is Reid acting on his own, or on orders from the Obama campaign? Well, on more than one occasion now the Obama campaign has advanced the “felon” nonsense against Romney, so Reid’s character assault fits with the campaign’s overt tactics. Coming from the campaign of a man who has admitted to committing multiple felonies — Obama’s past hard drug use, specifically — that’s an unwise move. For one thing, it opens the Obama camp to questions of his own past and character. Some particularly aggressive GOP surrogate could swear that they know a guy who used to get his blow from Barry Obama, and using the Reid standard, it’s up to Obama to prove the anonymous allegation false…

And there’s proof that for all his noise and bluster, Harry Reid is among a group of top Democrats who haven’t released their own tax returns. The obvious thing to infer, using Reid’s own standard, is that he hasn’t released his tax returns because he hasn’t been paying any taxes or has something else to hide. Reid used the tax return issue to insist that Romney isn’t fit to hold office at all. Well, Harry, right back atcha. Ditto for Nancy Pelosi and DNC chairman Debbie Wasserman Schultz, neither of whom have released their own tax returns. Romney can now say “You show me yours and I’ll show you mine” and effectively shut the Democrat leadership up. Harry Reid took the Obama campaign’s ball and sprinted all the way to a touchdown. Too bad he ran the wrong way.

***

So long as this is the new standard, it should be known that Reid touched me inappropriately when I was a little boy. He’ll undoubtedly deny this should you ask him, but I believe the burden should be on him to prove that he didn’t.

***

***

Via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

Dick

Electrongod on August 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Harry

Electrongod on August 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM

It’s the economy stupid!

Electrongod on August 2, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I am not basing this on some figment of my imagination. Reid really is a child molester/murderer.
If he insists on his innocence, let him just try to prove it.

itsnotaboutme on August 2, 2012 at 10:53 PM

But Romney isn’t falling for it. And now Reid’s getting sloppy,

Sloppy?

Nothing new.

Electrongod on August 2, 2012 at 10:55 PM

How about a comprehensive, forensic audit of Harry Reid by the best sociopaths of the IRS?

NaCly dog on August 2, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Dirty.

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Upper will be here shortly to give it’s opinion…

Electrongod on August 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I heard Moochelle is a wife beater, and that Harry Reid does the dirty with Chinese prostitutes

skeeterbite on August 2, 2012 at 10:58 PM

1.Reid expresses concern
2.???
3.Profit!

tom daschle concerned on August 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Dirty Deeds.

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 11:00 PM

why would anyone believe the man who is the Zodiac Killer and a child molester ?

mittens on August 2, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I’ve had a number of people tell me that dingy reid is a homosexual child mol ester. It’s not just a figment of my imagination. Why should I doubt so many anonymous people?

Wolfmoon on August 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Desperate much, eh Harry? This only makes the entire Democratic Party look like a bunch of hacks and pathetic hacks at that.

HoosierStateofMind on August 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Dirty Dumbass.

Bishop on August 2, 2012 at 11:02 PM

The Republic is in the situation it’s in because the Republican party has, two consecutive elections in a row, chosen pure-bred RINOs with no testicular fortitude for the kind of dirty, awful, absurd tactics played by the entire Democrat party and most of the media.

Moreover, even if Romney wins, he’s not going to govern as a conservative. He’s going to ‘reach across the isle’ and ‘compromise’ and do all the good RINO things RINOs do, and still he’ll be hated as the Ultimate Extremely Extreme Rich Right Winger he’s going to be painted to be, no matter how mild-mannered and tactful he is.

This is all just a sad, futile exercise. I really wish there was hope, but there isn’t. These people on the Democrat side and running the media need to be taken to prison, not just to task, for the mockery they’re making of the process. This election should be about Solyndra, Fast’n'Furious, the Tzarist Regime, the horrific overreach of the government’s “taxing” authority under Obamacare. Instead, we’re debating Romney’s taxes of ten years ago, and everything in the news is revolving around the leftist regime’s “narrative”.

I’d like to think Obama will lose and things will be made right. But both won’t happen, and more likely neither.

bobcalco on August 2, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Dead Leaves and the Dirty Grounds.

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Dirty Dumbass.

Bishop on August 2, 2012 at 11:02 PM

THis..

Democrats will have to plug their nose to pull the lever for a Dumbass

Electrongod on August 2, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Harry Reid the guy who made literally millions on a land deal that he voted on in the Senate, and then there was Diane Finestein who as head of the Military procurment committee in the Senate awarded her husbands firm 10 billion contract. Only punishment was removal as chair person from that committee. Harry Reid, through his position in the Senate owns have of Nevada, and that is not just an allegation.

jainphx on August 2, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Okay, seriously; when do the lawsuits begin? When does a Republican introduce a move to censure Harry Reid.

This needs to blow right the hell up, right f-ing now.

Midas on August 2, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Ugh… do you have to show the alleged pederast’s face like that?

malclave on August 2, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Dirty Laundry.

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Dirty Boots.

And nite!

tom daschle concerned on August 2, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Made it! Evening all!!

Bmore Jackie Sparkplug!

Will be popping in and out…

Reid: You stink! You louse…

Scrumpy on August 2, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Shouldn’t Dingy Harry be passing his double secret inside info to the FBI and the IRS instead of flapping his jaws in the Senate?

whatcat on August 2, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Twitter is going crazy with this. So are all the blogs. I am so glad that this isn’t 2008 again with the LSM having a stranglehold on information and pushback.

Thank you, Mr. Breitbart.

kim roy on August 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Dirty Dirty Feeling.

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Good Night tom, Sleep Well.

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Sloppy?

Nothing new.

Electrongod on August 2, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Liars build houses of cards. They have to keep making additions.

22044 on August 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Dirty Laundry.

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Dirty…secret

Electrongod on August 2, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Dirty Water.

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 11:15 PM

The GOP will betray you!..:)

The GOPe will betray you..For the true cons!..:)

Dire Straits on August 2, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Dirty…secret

Electrongod on August 2, 2012 at 11:14 PM

; )

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I would think that saying things like this about anyone anywhere, let alone on record on the senate floor certainly constitutes libel unless dingy scumbag reid produces proof. Not hearsay, PROOF.

Anonymous informants do not shield you from libel.

BUT, since dingyball harry wants to go there, let’s investigate that nevada land deal shall we? Let’s pull his tax returns as well.

And please people, stop sending me anonymous emails about dingyball harry having used an anal plug on your anonymous siblings and friends when you were toddlers. Instead, do as dingyball harry did and speak about it on the senate floor!

Wolfmoon on August 2, 2012 at 11:16 PM

It just blows my mind that these people actually get elected. But any minute there will be some idiot that will post right on this thread in support of this ugly litle man. Unbelievable.

KCB on August 2, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I am so sad watching this farce of an election, I can’t even stand the news coverage on the ostensibly conservative side.

2008 was frightening, ominous, and there was a sense that evil was rising but also that evil might lose (thank you, Sarah Palin, for that elusive glimmer of hope).

This election is just pathetic. The legitimate scandals of this administration should be explosive and devastating to Soetoro’s chances of staying out of prison. He makes Nixon look like a piker. But instead we have this absurd game of fluff allegations against Romney (who isn’t even technically a good guy, if by that you mean a legitimate conservative) that get blown up as if they are legitimate, or at least potentially legitimate, while the outrageous actions of this administration are barely mentioned, let alone investigated.

And even if they were, they would have no impact on the mindless partisans who will show up in lock-step droves to vote the SOB back in. By all accounts, nearly half the voting population.

Stick a fork in it, it’s over and done.

bobcalco on August 2, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Dirty White Boy.

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I still believe there is a need for term limits…

d1carter on August 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I can beat that…I didn’t pay taxes for 15 years straight! Can you imagine that? 15 freakin’ years! Then at 16 I went to work at the carnival…

JohnBrown on August 2, 2012 at 11:21 PM

KCB on August 2, 2012 at 11:16 PM

The people who vote for all of these morons actually scare me more than these scumbag politicians. How could anyone with two braincells not see the damage they are doing?

JPeterman on August 2, 2012 at 11:21 PM

The media will make sure this sticks to the wall.

We’re screwed.

the_souse on August 2, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Dirty Work.

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM

This isn’t funny.

At all.

Sorry to be a killjoy folks.

the_souse on August 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Dirty Old Town

RickB on August 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM

The GOP will betray you!..:)

The GOPe will betray you..For the true cons!..:)

Dire Straits on August 2, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Right on time..

Electrongod on August 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Dirty Old Man

22044 on August 2, 2012 at 11:24 PM

JPeterman on August 2, 2012 at 11:21 PM

And there are so many!!! They have no idea what is going on. They just vote like they are programmed.

KCB on August 2, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Dirty Pinocchio.

Dirty Harry is doing Weasel Obama’s dirty job.

Obama needs diapers, a pacifer and Bill Clinton.

Only 13 states approve of the job Obama is doind.

Schadenfreude on August 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Dirty Old Town

RickB on August 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Dirty talk

Electrongod on August 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM

…gee…I wonder why?..no one could then spell out how they have abused their positions, so that even their media munchers could no longer ignore what is obvious in black and white

KOOLAID2 on August 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I think we ought to employ the Logan’s Run strategy for the senate.

After 2 terms in the senate the candidate floats up to the ceiling and is evaporated by lasers as the subjects below cheer.

Can we make that 1/2 term for commies like reid, obamacommie, and pelosi?

OOO! By the way, I have spoken to some anonymous people here and they tell me they have pictures of pelosi and reid doing the nasty in Vegas. The hotel room they desecrated with their body fluids will stay in Vegas, but the pictures will be on the interwebs verrrrry soon.

Wolfmoon on August 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Dirty Women.

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM

If you take on a defeatist attitude, then all is lost, do not give up the fight… soldier on, hold your head up high!!

Never give up and never give in…

Nice tune selection… :-)

Scrumpy on August 2, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Dirty Little Girl.

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Dirty Hungarian Phrasebook

RickB on August 2, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 11:18 PM

excellent

jrsrigmvr on August 2, 2012 at 11:30 PM

D.C needs a Baker Act, Reid is a lunatic.

batterup on August 2, 2012 at 11:30 PM

The picture is creepy.

Shame on the people from Nevada!

Schadenfreude on August 2, 2012 at 11:31 PM

To hell with their tax returns. I want to see their stock portfolios. You Dirty Rats you!

skeeterbite on August 2, 2012 at 11:32 PM

The creepy part is that this is just the beginning of what the demorat liberal human trash are going to do against Rombo and anyone who dares support him.

Bishop on August 2, 2012 at 11:32 PM

KCB on August 2, 2012 at 11:24 PM

You can thank public education and the teachers unions for that.

JPeterman on August 2, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Ann Coulter was/is on a roll!!..That was vintage Ann Coulter..:)

Dire Straits on August 2, 2012 at 11:32 PM

We’re all guilty of armed robbery, murder, drug running, and nuclear proliferation until we prove ourselves innocent, right?

That’s the way the constitution works, right? Dingyballs harry should know!

Wolfmoon on August 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM

RickB on August 2, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Very funny!! Thanks…

Scrumpy on August 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Electrongod on August 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM

..:)

Dire Straits on August 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Dirty City.

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 11:34 PM

jrsrigmvr on August 2, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Good evening, Fred. How are you this evening?

thatsafactjack on August 2, 2012 at 11:34 PM

This is no figment of my imagination. I heard that Romney kicked a baby across a room once when it peed on his lap.

I’ve had a number of people tell me this.

Now, shouldn’t Romney have to prove he didn’t kick a poor, helpless baby across a room?

profitsbeard on August 2, 2012 at 11:34 PM

If you’ve seen Blade Runner think back to the character “Taffy” (the creepy, sleazeball bar owner) then tell me Reid (D-Harrahs) doesn’t remind you of an aged version of that dirtbag.

viking01 on August 2, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Dirty Love

Schadenfreude on August 2, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Scrumpy on August 2, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Good evening, Scrumpy! Well said, indeed.

thatsafactjack on August 2, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Media, spontaneously combust, for dereliction of duty.

Schadenfreude on August 2, 2012 at 11:37 PM

viking01 on August 2, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Dingyballs harry reminds me of a character in Stephen King’s book “It”, where this homeless wino with a cancerous hole in his nose tried to offer a B.J. to an 8 year old kid in exchange for a couple bucks.

That’s dingyballs harry, all the way.

Wolfmoon on August 2, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Dire Straits on August 2, 2012 at 11:32 PM

This is even better!

Fox’s Chris Wallace: Romney Advisor Who Told Press To ‘Kiss My A**’ Is A ‘Hero’

JPeterman on August 2, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Hi Jackie: I’m fine how are you. Just lurking. Bmore’s on fire tonight.

jrsrigmvr on August 2, 2012 at 11:38 PM

This complete phuktard is only in office because they managed to find someone even more detestable to run against him. Otherwise I doubt we would have to listen to this urchin.

lexhamfox on August 2, 2012 at 11:38 PM

The media will make sure this sticks to the wall.

We’re screwed.

the_souse on August 2, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I am not so sure about that..I have noticed that a lot of the media does not seem to want to get behind Harry on this. In fact a lot of Democrats don’t seem to want to get behind him either.

Terrye on August 2, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Obama is as Hitler and Reid is as his Goebbels and Romney is as the Jew.

VorDaj on August 2, 2012 at 11:38 PM

bobcalco on August 2, 2012 at 11:03 PM

When you’ve finished clutching your pearls and can drag yourself up off your fainting couch, why don’t you contact your local Republican Party headquarters to see how you can help on the local and state ballots?

Unless you enjoy being a gloomy gus. If that’s case, carry on, and I’ll just ignore anything you have to say from now on.

Flora Duh on August 2, 2012 at 11:38 PM

jrsrigmvr on August 2, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Yes, Bmore is in rare form! I’m well, thanks for asking.

thatsafactjack on August 2, 2012 at 11:39 PM

In fact a lot of Democrats don’t seem to want to get behind him either.

Terrye on August 2, 2012 at 11:38 PM

He’s really old you know….his farts smell like rancid ben gay.

Wolfmoon on August 2, 2012 at 11:39 PM

lexhamfox on August 2, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Union is strong there. Gonna be tough to take Harry out. (Politically, of course)

KCB on August 2, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Obama is a racist of the highest order, with your hard earned taxes, at his benefit.

Schadenfreude on August 2, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Yucky.

But then, Reid has been touching the country inappropriately since becoming senate majority leader, so which is worse?

Bruno Strozek on August 2, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Evening jackie! Thanks you… :-)

Scrumpy on August 2, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Dirty Little Thing.

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Nice article by Jim Geraghty!..:)

Dire Straits on August 2, 2012 at 11:40 PM

This is even better!

Fox’s Chris Wallace: Romney Advisor Who Told Press To ‘Kiss My A**’ Is A ‘Hero’

JPeterman on August 2, 2012 at 11:37 PM

22044 on August 2, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Dirty.

For Cindy Munford.

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Nope.

Congress people are immune from defamation for anything they say in congress.

For example, McConnell could say Harry Reid is a child molester, has a loathsome communicable disease, sucks off the president, and takes bribes from defense contractors and there would be nothing Reid could do about it.

jaime on August 2, 2012 at 11:41 PM

In fact a lot of Democrats don’t seem to want to get behind him either.

Terrye on August 2, 2012 at 11:38 PM

He’s really old you know….his farts smell like rancid ben gay.

Wolfmoon on August 2, 2012 at 11:39 PM

You just had to say that didn’t you?

He is a nasty old thing.

Terrye on August 2, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Dirty Love

Schadenfreude on August 2, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I had no idea. I learn something new every day. LOL!

Bmore on August 2, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Pretty dirty pool harry.

ted c on August 2, 2012 at 11:43 PM

This needs to blow right the hell up, right f-ing now.

Midas on August 2, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Article 1, Section 6:

The Senators and Representatives shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the United States. They shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.

Flora Duh on August 2, 2012 at 11:43 PM

JPeterman on August 2, 2012 at 11:37 PM

+ 100..Very nice!..:)

PS..Thanks for the link!..:)

Dire Straits on August 2, 2012 at 11:44 PM

There’s good clean dirt, and then there’s Harry Reid.

INC on August 2, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Romney’s own dad released several years of his tax returns when he ran for POTUS. Romney’s own father set the precedent. Democrats have Romney over a barrel on this one, I think. Even if R-team fans probably don’t care if Romney paid taxes or not, if Romney doesn’t release his taxes the majority of people will probably think Romney is hiding something. Romney is probably going to have to release his taxes eventually so unless he really does have something to hide the smart play would be to release them early.

The harder Democrats push, the longer Romney holds out, the more convinced people will be that Romney is hiding something.

FloatingRock on August 2, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Harry Reid is a dispicable man who doesn’t deserve being called a human being…

He turns my stomach, his voice…defies description, smarmy/creepy comes to mind…

Scrumpy on August 2, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Harry is doing a fantastic job calling out Mitt the tax cheat.

Uppereastside on August 2, 2012 at 11:46 PM

jaime on August 2, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I would send $10,000 to McConnell’s warchest if he did.

Bishop on August 2, 2012 at 11:46 PM