Video: Nanny of the Month is …

posted at 9:21 am on August 1, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Who gets July’s Nanny of the Month from Reason TV?  As usual, there are three finalists, but this month, the winner is kind of a …dog:

Forget the London Olympics, you’ll find the fiercest competition stateside, where faces new and old vied for the title of “Nanny of the Month.”

Proving it can ruin just about any good idea, the Los Angeles City Council voted unanimously to ban the city’s medical marijuana dispensaries, and a North Carolina pol who claims baggy pants are “a part of a culture that breeds drug sales, drug addiction, crime, and murder” is itching to regulate precisely how much sag his constituents may bust (no more than three inches below the waist).

But this month we find the busiest of bodies in the nation’s Garden State:

Imagine getting pulled over for a seatbelt violation. Imagine it cost you $1,000 and six months in the clink. Imagine the cause of this was your failure to buckle up your pooch.

Actually, Reason shouldn’t have forgotten the London Olympics.  Perhaps the opening ceremonies didn’t qualify as a “nanny state” entry, but that paean to the NHS with dancing nurses and an inflatable baby could have won special mention as a Nanny of the Month Propaganda Award winner.  Perhaps a better choice would have been Michael Bloomberg’s decision to lock up the formula at hospitals to, er, encourage new mothers to breastfeed instead of taking a bottle.  Encourage in this case means “intimidate“:

Under the new program, reported by the New York Post, mothers who insist on bottle-feeding will still be able to do so, but nurses would have to sign out the baby formula, which would always be on hand for mothers who have difficulty breast-feeding.

The Post reports that 27 of the city’s 40 hospitals have also agreed to eliminate gift bag giveaways of infant formula and other free items like lanyards or mugs with formula-company logos.

The mayor has gotten criticized over the new policy, which is set to take effect in September. While some are chiding the mayor for imposing a “nanny state,” The National Alliance for Breast-feeding Advocacy says it’s a good program.

The plan forces mothers and their caregivers to explain every time they need a bottle why they’re not breastfeeding.  Hospitals will treat formula like a prescription drug.  That’s pretty nanny-statish to me, but perhaps this came too late for the July award.  I’ll look forward to its inclusion in the August sweepstakes.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

My dog will never be belted, I will feed her baby formula, and will never give her contraception.

Akzed on August 1, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Imagine getting pulled over for a seatbelt violation. Imagine it cost you $1,000 and six months in the clink. Imagine the cause of this was your failure to buckle up your pooch.

I have to laugh at this one. I got one of those seatbelt things for my dog for a road trip. I followed all the instructions and had her buckled up in the back seat. She had it off and was sitting shotgun by the time I got around to the driver’s seat.

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Vote these numbskull busy bodies out of office!

KMC1 on August 1, 2012 at 9:29 AM

So wouldn’t have Downgrade been dinged in NJ with that twitter pic they put out?

Chip on August 1, 2012 at 9:29 AM

My dog just wants to know how he can stick his head out of the window with a damn seat belt on.

Trafalgar on August 1, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Doctors must inform mothers and even take a stance against caring for their babies in ways not developed by mother nature.

And abortion? Oh, as unnatural and as harmful to an infant as that is, doctors are forbidden to advise against it.

Hypocrites. Liars. Frauds.

ss396 on August 1, 2012 at 9:31 AM

My dogs say it is their constitutional right to pursue happiness by sticking their heads out the windows untethered.

Fallon on August 1, 2012 at 9:32 AM

So I guess clothing babies is right out too?

Trafalgar on August 1, 2012 at 9:33 AM

does mooch always wear hers while riding in the car???

GhoulAid on August 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM

……JugEars: “MMMMMMMM!…Y U M M Y…!!!

KOOLAID2 on August 1, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Dear Gov. Christie and the New Jersey Congress,

Your retarded law does not mention the size of the pet. I have two guinea pigs, each about 2 pounds. Do I have to buckle them when I take them to the vet?

–Concerned in New Jersey

Archivarix on August 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Crap, and I thought those child seats were tough to negotiate. Come on Fido, you’re riding in the trunk.

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 9:44 AM

does mooch always wear hers while riding in the car???

GhoulAid on August 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Muzzle?

Archivarix on August 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Is it because it’s nanny-ness even to demand of humans to buckle up or is this simply out of pity for pooches?

I’m all for mandatory seat belt buckling of any bodies inside a vehicle – human or otherwise. Here’s why.

As they say, it shouldn’t happen to a dog.

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM

does mooch always wear hers while riding in the car???

GhoulAid on August 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM

…and does she ride with her head out the window?

KOOLAID2 on August 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

how much is that moochie in the window
the one with the $6,000 dollar jacket…

GhoulAid on August 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

so bloomberg agrees w/ a woman’s right to choose to not have a baby but not to choose how/what to feed it?

chasdal on August 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 9:44 AM

…what!…not on the roof?

KOOLAID2 on August 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM

do

es mooch always wear hers while riding in the car???

GhoulAid on August 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM

If any bi**h should be riding in a crate on the top of the car, it would be mooch.

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2012 at 9:52 AM

The dog driving the car at the end was perfect.

Red Cloud on August 1, 2012 at 9:54 AM

As they say, it shouldn’t happen to a dog.

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Not enough. Imagine the lives we would save if we reduced the maximum speed on all roads to 15 MPH. Just give up enough freedom and eventually we will all live forever.

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 9:55 AM

You know, the only way to handle these nanny folks is to ridicule them mercilessly. Write letters to the editor of your paper, use twitter, facebook and other social media.

Scorn them and mock them over and over. If they’re going to act like idiots, treat them like children.

BacaDog on August 1, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Not to sidestep the post, but this just drives me crazy. How can anyone get paid for writing and reporting when they use grammar like this? This is truly a reflection of modern day 7th grade English, and the employers who hire these people. Where are the editors?

Gotten?

I have heard the same grating grammar on the Network News stations and just cringe at the thought of my little gray haired 7th grade English teacher and her reaction to same.

Sheesh.

Tenwheeler on August 1, 2012 at 9:56 AM

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Are you against mandatory seat belt laws for people? Yes or no?

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 9:57 AM

chasdal on August 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM

It’s more insidious than that. A mother can choose to use formula but she has to ask for it and the hospital has to account for every drop of it and lecture the woman about how bad a mother she is. It’s one thing to encourage breast feeding but another thing to have the state demand that baby formula be treated like a Class III narcotic.

Next step, of course is the NYC Social Services worker coming to the home unannounced based on the fact that the mother was a formula feeder. After all, if a child isn’t being breast fed, what other ways are they being abused by their parents?

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2012 at 9:57 AM

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Are you for hotrodding at 130MPH on city streets? Yes or no?

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM

in all seriousness, i remember quite clearly in the 1970′s climbing all over my familys brown station wagon while on vacation in the summer. yes, on the nations highways. to the front of the station wagon, then climbing to the back to get a sandwich or a favorite stuffed animal, or to beat on my siblings. how can i be alive today????? it defies logic!!!!!!!

GhoulAid on August 1, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Mr. Bloomberg is obviously a boob man. :P

Snark aside, as I related when this was first brought up, my firstborn refused to “latch on”. New mothers, in a tsunami of hormonal upheaval, get easily discouraged and milk-drying-anxious when worrying about repeated failure.

Thankfully, I was in an Army hospital where round-the-clock nurses, nutritionists, physical trainers, and pushy La Leche League breastfeeding advocates spent a whole week whipping me into the right mindset ~ Let It Flow…

That said, Mayor Bloomberg has for years obviously in the throes of some incurable “Tiny Man Syndrome”.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on August 1, 2012 at 9:59 AM

“Perhaps a better choice would have been Michael Bloomberg’s decision to lock up the formula at hospitals to, er, encourage new mothers to breastfeed instead of taking a bottle. Encourage in this case means “intimidate“: ….”

When did Bloomberg get his medical license? #Bloombergisaquack

Dusty on August 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Tenwheeler on August 1, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Aren’t most news stories written on a 5th grade level these days? Seriously, I think any writer who wrote and submitted a news story on the 7th grade level would be lambasted by their editor for using too many big words.

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2012 at 10:01 AM

chasdal on August 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Liberals like Bloomburg don’t grasp the inherent irony/hypocrisy. All they see is their concept of ‘good’.

Liam on August 1, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I couldn’t tell the mayor’s race in the video. I presume he is black, or else we would be treated to claims about him being a racist.

thuja on August 1, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Are you for hotrodding at 130MPH on city streets? Yes or no?

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Only when I can convince my 6-yar-old daughter to climb a light pole and watch out for cops.

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 10:05 AM

BTW, Shy Guy, I am against mandatory seat belt and helmet laws for adults.

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 10:08 AM

BacaDog on August 1, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Or force them to defend their idiocy. Yes, it is true that baggy pants are a part of a culture that breeds drug sales, drug addiction, crime, and murder. People forget the “look” comes from jailhouse culture where inmates were walking around low hanging pants because their belts were taken at booking.

However, for the state to decide that 3 inches is okay but 3.25 inches is breaking the law is absurd. Somebody needs to go back to that politician and demand to know exactly how violations will be determined. I mean do cops get issued a ruler? Is the elastic waistband considered part of the 3 inches? Does color of the underwear matter? If no underwear is visible, where does one measure from to determine if pants are suitably modest? These are the pressing questions that must be determined the minute the state decides to become fashionistas.

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2012 at 10:09 AM

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Did you know that breast fed infants climb up light poles faster by age 6? Of course, I’m waiting for the government funded study to confirm.

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 10:09 AM

BTW, Shy Guy, I am against mandatory seat belt and helmet laws for adults.

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I’m against mandatory helmet laws for adults. I keeps the Darwin effect from being as effective as it could be.

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2012 at 10:10 AM

chasdal on August 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Actually beyond the pale.

If I were having a baby in NYC, I’d bring the biggest darn can of formula I could find (think Costco size) and set it right down on the side table.

GeorgieGirl9 on August 1, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I live in West Virginia, and I am laughing at the backwards idiots who live in New York and put up with this crap.

wildcat72 on August 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM

BTW, Shy Guy, I am against mandatory seat belt and helmet laws for adults.

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Well then, we almost agree to disagree. I say almost because if we’re talking about a lone driver and he/she wants to add to risking their own life by not buckling up or wearing a helmet, well, lotsa luck. However, the moment there are other passengers in a vehicle, each unbuckled passenger piles on the added risk at everyone else’s expense.

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 10:12 AM

And they wonder why people want smaller gubmint.

petefrt on August 1, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2012 at 10:10 AM

We are in agreement. See my post from a minute ago.

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Soon to be seen in NY back alleys: babies snorting their formula.

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Are you against mandatory seat belt laws for people? Yes or no?

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Are you for hotrodding at 130MPH on city streets? Yes or no?

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Benjamin Franklin: He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security.

Mull that one over for a little while and then get back to me about your tyrannical fascist mentality.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 10:17 AM

As they say, it shouldn’t happen to a dog.

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM

You do know that those were actors and it was staged…and I am sorry, but I missed the dog in that video…you little drama queen.

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I always belt my dogs up before I had them their Ipads, cigars, and cocktails.

CorporatePiggy on August 1, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Are you for hotrodding at 130MPH on city streets? Yes or no?

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Are you still beating your girlfriend? Yes or NO?

Are you still molesting little boys? Yes or No?

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I think breastfeeding is repulsive and disgusting. Had I been forced to boob-feed him he would’ve starved…because there was NO WAY that I was going to do such a thing.
He’s 6’1 now. Bloomie’s an ass. MY body-MY choice.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 1, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I’ve been wondering if Nanny Gloomy completely thought through his formula ban. You can limit the amount of formula by giving out small “legal-sized” containers of it, but how do they measure whether a baby sucks out more than 16oz of breast milk in one sitting?

stukinIL4now on August 1, 2012 at 10:24 AM

BTW, Shy Guy, I am against mandatory seat belt and helmet laws for adults.

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 10:08 AM

So am I.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Are you for hotrodding at 130MPH on city streets? Yes or no?

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Don’t play with matches, you’ll accidentally burn that strawman of yours. The major difference between wild-riding and not using safety belt is that in the former case, you are endangering someone else’s life, whereas in the latter, solely your own. The first should be deal with, but the second is part of one’s personal freedom. Did you get it, or I have to type slower?

Archivarix on August 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Hmmm….

“The state of New Jersey’s has NOT passed a ‘new law’ requiring animals to be restrained while being transported in a vehicle. In fact, for over 15 years, New Jersey has had a law on the books called ‘improper transport.’ … This law was explained during the event to highlight the fact that the NJSPCA does have the authority to file animal cruelty charges if and when animals are observed being transported in an improper manner.

Frankly, the thought of a 50lb dog flying through the air in an accident is enough for me to think crating or harnessing a dog while travelling is a good idea, but not every good idea is something our law enforcement should be wasting its time imposing on people. It appears that the NJSPCA has taken it upon itself to pull motorists over and cite them for endangering animals if they see this behavior. (If that’s wrong, somebody point me to the text of this new law, I was looking for it when I found this article.)

My cats are always in pet carriers when traveling, and I’ll buckle the carrier down if it’s not otherwise restrained. The last thing I want is a cat bedding down under the brake pedal when I need to use it, or puking in my lap.

Socratease on August 1, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Will fido have to submit to helmet laws if he is on the sidewalk?

seven on August 1, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Dogs United says “Bite Me!”.

(Oops. Hope Barry doesn’t hear that.)

Yoop on August 1, 2012 at 10:28 AM

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Try putting Fanklin in his original context. You’re abusing the quote more than the leftists abused it after 9/11.

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Yeh. Seat belts don’t save lives and these enactments never happen in real life accidents.

Suggestion: talking to long-term hospital ER staff about the outcome of non-buckled passengers on others in the car.

Are you still beating your girlfriend? Yes or NO?

Are you still molesting little boys? Yes or No?

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Bright? I don’t think so.

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 10:28 AM

OK, who killed the gun thread?

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM

He’s 6’1 now. Bloomie’s an ass. MY body-MY choice.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 1, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Breastfeeding is a natural thing and, as many other natural things such as organic food or unshaven armpits, should not be forced on everyone.

PS: Get yourself a bigger feeder. :P

Archivarix on August 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Put the crack pipe down and back slowly away from it.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Archivarix on August 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM

You have to read slower.

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2012 at 9:57 AM

^^This^^

Is Nanny Bloomberg also going to legislate that newborns be breast fed for a specific length of time? Is he going to demand that all grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. keep baby formula under lock and key?

Sheesh. The man’s a loon.

GrannyDee on August 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM

OK, who killed the gun thread?

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM

It often happens when threads are promoted from the Green Room. Stand by, it may reappear.

Archivarix on August 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Put the crack pipe down and back slowly away from it.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Take your head out of your tuchos and realize that we aren’t talking about TSA pat-downs.

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Archivarix on August 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Ha.
What’s so sweet is that bottle-fed Spawn is healthier than two of his boob-fed cousins. They have also sorts of issues. Spawn’s a bit too slim-but other than that…he’s fine.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I have two of the cutest, sweetest dogs ever. Whenever I have to take them somewhere, I always use a harness that attaches to the rear belts.

First, if there’s an accident, I don’t want my dogs injured, they’re really like children to me. And if there is an accident and I’m injured, I want them secure and loose running around on a busy road.

More importantly, dogs need to be restrained while your driving. My younger dog is a cute 2 year old ridgeback/boxer mix, and he’s very sweet. But he also thinks he’s a lap dog, but doesn’t realize that at 100 pounds lap dog behavior is problematic most of the time. In a car, it’s ridiculously dangerous. If he was loose and decided to try to climb in my lap I would definitely have an accident. If your dog is over 40 lbs or so and isn’t harnessed, you’re potentially dangerous.

And yes, they can still stick their heads out of the windows with the harness on…

PetecminMd on August 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM

“Nanny” is, as a result of mental disorder, a danger to others, or to himself or herself, or gravely disabled. 5150!

Kenosha Kid on August 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I’m fine with that as long as my insurance doesn’t go up because of your freedom. Driver and health policies for personal injuries should be void if you’re not using a belt or helmet when the accident occurs, or else you pay extra for a policy that doesn’t care.

But then I’m just weird, I guess: Seat belts all the time since I started driving 30 years ago, and all the gear all the time when on the bike. I’d probably wear a 5-point harness if they were easily available.

Socratease on August 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 10:12 AM

And herein lies your mental limitation. There is no such thing as “everyone else’s expense” as the driver is liable for medical expenses of everyone in his/her car – just like the homeowner is liable for every guest’s well-being. That is, unless you imply that socialized medicine is the proper way of life, in which case please slither back to Puff Ho where you belong.

Archivarix on August 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Archivarix on August 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM

How is it socilaized medicine to buckle up before driving so that we can avoid the potential medical expenses you’re so enthralled about?

in which case please slither back to Puff Ho where you belong.

I don’t touch the site, chump.

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 10:42 AM

What if the pets are in a classic car that was built before seat belts?

db on August 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM

What if the pets are in a classic car that was built before seat belts?

db on August 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM

My Golden Retriever rides in the passenger seat of my ’73 MGB and thinks it’s the coolest thing ever!

Trafalgar on August 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Or if your taking them for a ride on your motorcycle. Of course they would have to wear helmets.

db on August 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Trafalgar on August 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Dogs are smart!

db on August 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Playing silly, aren’t you. Here is a question for you to chew on: how are your “potential medical expenses” affected by me not wearing my seat belt in my car?

Archivarix on August 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

wildcat72 on August 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Says the person whose state repeatedly re-elected a former member of the clan to the United States Senate.

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Archivarix on August 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Turns out all of your crankiness is because you did not read and follow the link on my first post. My aren’t you lazy. Thanks for wasting our time.

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Put the crack pipe down and back slowly away from it.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM

No, we are talking about laws passed by legislative bodies intended by said busybodies to reduce bloodshed, which, for those actually stupid enough to not know the context of Franklin statement is exactly what he was talking about when he made that statement.

So, since Franklin was specifically commenting on parliamentary laws passed in the aftermath of the Boston Tea Party which specifically sought to reduce the possibility of various and sundry individuals coming to bodily harm in the Port of Boston as a consequence of the actions of other individuals in the Port of Boston. My comment could not possibly have been more directly within the framework of Franklin original context.

Now, as to who has their head firmly lodged in their tohcus… Having read Franklin’s memoirs and knowing the context of his statement, which apparently you haven’t done. Well the rest is as they say, self evident.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 10:51 AM

It just dawned on me this law would get me through in prison for a loooong time. Here is the scenario:

I get pulled over. Officer says I am getting a ticket for my dog not being properly restrained. I am dumbfounded for about a second and a half. Then I start laughing hysterically. Then tell the “officer” that I don’t give my permission to be their “Candid Camera” type show as I drive off.

Anybody have bail money?

db on August 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Socratease on August 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I think you’re mixing up two important but different issues.

1. What is the state’s role in determining seatbelt and helmet laws to include passengers and pets. Seriously, if one has to belt their dog- why not mandate doggie helmets as well. What about requiring all passengers to wear life vests in the off chance that the vehicle goes off a bridge? There are limits on what the state should reasonably mandate and jail time for not having fido belted is beyond reasonable.

2. What makes sense on a personal level. There is no way that I would go out on my bike in a very urban area without all the protective gear. Yet, I see idiots without even a helmet all the time (the city/state do have a mandatory helmet law).

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM

through = thrown

db on August 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Hint: the word “essential” in Franklin’s quote.

Perhaps you read the Reader’s Digest version of Franklin’s writings.

Anyway, enough said here. Grind on as you please.

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM

We have a vehicle specially designed for transporting dogs……it’s called a pickup.

antipc on August 1, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 10:51 AM

A winded version of “I have no idea, have to get back to your septic tank.”

Archivarix on August 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I think Bloomberg’s formula decision is an appalling government intrusion between mother and child. Also, imagine all the frustrated nurses who have to give that lecture every single time they hand out a bottle of formula, as if they had nothing else to do.

As for seatbelting dogs, there’s no way my dogs would have put up with it. I imagine I’d have had some chewed-up seatbelts.

RebeccaH on August 1, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I’ve been using a rubber band to secure my pet mouse…

Republican Yogi on August 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I have one of those too. Fun stuff.

CorporatePiggy on August 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Not that it matters much but I never get in a car without a seatbelt and I never ride a motorcycle without a helmet. The thing is, that’s my choice, not the governments. Every choice they make for me diminishes my freedom and treats me more like property.

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Yes and yes.

When I used to ride I wore FULL armored leather, a back protector, and a full faced helmet. I always use a seatbelt in my car.

But as swinia says – this is a personal responsibility issue. I fully support your right to ride a bike with wearing no safety gear and drive a car without a seat belt.

CorporatePiggy on August 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM

What if the pets are in a classic car that was built before seat belts?

db on August 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Yeah, those 58 Ford Edsels…

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM

antipc on August 1, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I get nervous when I see dogs in the back of a pickup, then I remember how much smarter they are than us and unlikely to say “hey, y’all, watch this…”.

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Hint: the word “essential” in Franklin’s quote.

Perhaps you read the Reader’s Digest version of Franklin’s writings.

Anyway, enough said here. Grind on as you please.

Shy Guy on August 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I think it’s pretty obvious to everyone here, that you are utterly clueless as to what Franklin considered an essential liberty. That you have had to resort to pulling a single word out of the quote, as if doing so buttresses your fallacious assertion only demonstrates that you recognize the absurdity of your own argument.

Franklin made that statement in a certain specific context, exactly the specific context that I referenced it in. That you choose to make your case for exactly the kind of government intrusion into the personal lives of citizens that Franklin rebuked those of his day for submitting tom says little for you.

Moreover that you accuse me of taking Franklin’s statement out of context and abusing, despite the fact that I have clearly and demonstratively done no such thing only exemplifies the point I was making in the first place.

I personally have no desire or willingness to live under the tyranny of moral busybodies. Benjamin Franklin made it pretty damned evident in his writings that he found such tyrannies every bit, if not even more so offensive, as I do.

C.S. Lewis: Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their consciences.

Here it is sadly clear, that as C.S. Lewis notes, “but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their consciences” your conscience approves.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 11:17 AM

PetecminMd on August 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I think that is great…but don’t tell me to put my dog, in my gas guzzling SUV to strap him in, he likes to use the side windows to keep our car “safe”, that’s his job, and strapping him in, he can’t do his job…and, one of the ideas of driving is to drive safe and defensively…and yes, accident do happen. He was bitten by a water moccasin last year, guess I should have had him on a leash…

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 11:19 AM

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Yes and absolutely yes. Not only do I never ride without a seat-belt, I refuse to allow anyone to ride in my car without wearing one. But what is important isn’t that I wear a seat-belt, or even that I will not allow any passenger in my car to not wear one. What is important is that I most emphatically am not the property of the United States Government.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Excellent, one of my favorite Lewis quotes…don’t bother with the poster, he dug himself a whole without understanding Franklin, now he is Googling like mad to try to catch up to what you apparently have studied for years. Typical of guys like him, he should thank you for educating him, and forcing him to learn something he had no clue about.
And once again, people should read the Lewis statement at least three times to catch the whole meaning…more there than just the apparent.

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM

They heart riding in the back of the truck and they never ever say, “hey hold my beer”. Also helps keep me close to the speed limit, don’t want the hounds ear tips all in tatters.

antipc on August 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 11:17 AM

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Had he been aware of the context I would like to think he would not have been so obstinate. The nature of the context could not be much clear than perhaps to include the next quote in the relevant passage, where Franklin, referring again to parliamentary legislation passed to “ensure public safety” says, “Try on your fetters first, then if you don’t like them, petition and we will consider”.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Crap, and I thought those child seats were tough to negotiate.

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Oh, Jim Treacher, you magnificent b@stard. This just pops in my head whenever the words “dog” and politician come up together:

“With Lolo, I learned how to eat small green chill peppers raw with dinner (plenty of rice), and, away from the dinner table, I was introduced to dog meat (tough), snake meat (tougher), and roasted grasshopper (crunchy). Like many Indonesians, Lolo followed a brand of Islam that could make room for the remnants of more ancient animist and Hindu faiths. He explained that a man took on the powers of whatever he ate: One day soon, he promised, he would bring home a piece of tiger meat for us to share.”

Tough indeed.

Fallon on August 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM

It should be called “Bloomberg of the Month”.

yongoro on August 1, 2012 at 11:55 AM

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 11:39 AM

What is amazingly lost is that all the signers had basically the same belief…that Government is the entity that needs to be constrained, not the people.
Their very being, the reason they risk their lives, was because they knew, far better than we know, the tyranny wrought by government on the people…and that the government will forever exert whatever force necessary to create an ever expanding power.
And that as a people we must always be resistant and on guard for the “good of the government”.

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Thank God there are still parts of America where people realize you can’t just prevent everything in life by writing a new law. On the other hand, every new rule you make comes with unintended consequences. Every single one. You pretend to be God and know how everyone else should be doing everything — you create new problems that weren’t there before.

Restrain your dogs in the car and they’re going to die from that too. Dog safety is 100% about owner responsibility. Responsibility starts and ends with what’s going on in the owner’s head. It has nothing to do with what a bunch of no-life nanny busybodies think everyone else ought to be doing for or about his dog. It’s entirely about the personal sense of responsibility of the owner.

A responsible owner will make good decisions. He doesn’t need the state of New Jersey telling him what constitutes a good decision.

Want safe dogs? Stop subsidizing all the deadly substitutes for the father-mother family, and let fathers and mothers raise responsible, conscientious dog owners.

J.E. Dyer on August 1, 2012 at 12:17 PM

NannyState healthcare by Liberal Pressure Groups and Lobbyists. We, and the Doctors, are in for one heck of a “ride”.

RADIOONE on August 1, 2012 at 1:09 PM