Traveling through Texas with the Tea Party Express

posted at 2:36 pm on August 1, 2012 by Dustin Siggins

Over the last eight days I have traveled throughout Texas with the Tea Party Express (TPE) in order to help Ted Cruz beat David Dewhurst in the Texas GOP Senate primary. During the trip I got to meet Cruz, Senator Jim DeMint (R-SC), Sarah Palin, Representative Michael Burgess (R-TX), and dozens of Texas Tea Partiers. While I have done campaign work before, it was in a limited capacity, so this was an entirely new experience.

My primary job with TPE was to assist with the mobile phone bank on the bus most of the 15 or so full-time TPE employees travel on during TPE tours. I literally sat next to TPE founder Sal Russo and TPE Chairwoman Amy Kremer, and got to see how the nation’s most influential Tea Party political action committee works.

The first thing we did was a RadioThon in Dallas with two area Tea Party leaders. Thousands of dollars were raised; Senators DeMint, Paul, and Lee (among others) spoke in support of Cruz; and certain social media circles were bombarded with Tweets, Facebook posts, etc.

I missed Thursday’s phone bank and other goings-on in order to fly to Boston and back to visit Jake, our family dog who passed away shortly after I began the return trip to Dallas. Friday we did phone-banking in Tyler, Texas and drove the several hours to The Woodlands, located right outside of Houston. Here Cruz teamed up with Palin and DeMint to speak to a couple of thousand supporters.

Saturday and Sunday consisted of phone-banking and rallying in Austin, San Antonio, San Angelo, and Waco. Monday we had a press conference in Dallas then drove to Houston, hitting a phone-banking location along the way. Tuesday we did sign-waving and participated in the Cruz victory party in Houston.

Traveling through Texas was very fascinating for me for many reasons, but especially the following:

1. As one of the TPE guys stated, many big-name conservative draw crowds of 3,000… and Sarah Palin draws crowds of 30,000. While there were probably only two thousand people at the Friday event, she was definitely the speaker the crowd was most excited about. I’ve always been a more cerebral, policy-centric guy when it comes to politics, even as a teenager – George Will, whom I’ve seen speak twice in person, is my favorite conservative speaker, such as when he spoke at the 2010 CPAC dinner – so Palin’s style doesn’t click with me personally, but watching the crowd react to her was very interesting and educational as to how truly sick and tired grassroots conservatives are of Washington.

2. The Tea Party Express is run by people who are avid supporters and friends of Palin. However, they are also fully supporting Mitt Romney’s candidacy. In voicing my opinion to TPE staff as someone who isn’t enthused by Palin, yet who is unlikely to vote in the fall for Romney because of how liberal he is, this led to a series of discussions about the election not being about Obama vs. Romney. Instead, to quote TPE Chairwoman Amy Kremer, it is about “freedom and liberty vs. Obama.” These conversations on the delicate yet important balance regarding political principles and political strategy were very elucidating.

3. Ron and Kay Rivoli are married professional singers who created a song in support of Ted Cruz. The song, which can be seen in full in the video at the bottom of this post, was only one of a number of great songs they sang throughout Texas, and only one of the many they sing across North America. They are awesome people who sacrifice a great deal financially and otherwise to travel with TPE, so please hit up their YouTube page, Facebook account, and Twitter pages as soon and often as possible.

4. I ended up chatting with one of the Dallas-area Tea Party organizers, and he explained a great deal about the inner workings of politics in Texas. I was a little cynical about how historic Cruz’s victory was/is, since he’s merely replacing a moderate Republican with a conservative one. This is important, of course, but not as critical as replacing a liberal with a conservative. It’s also not at all critical to flipping the Senate. However, as stated to those of us on the Tea Party Express bus by Rep. Michael Burgess (R-TX), a supporter of Cruz, before the election, a victory by Cruz would be the first time a Senate candidate has won without first being anointed by Austin. Additionally, the activist pointed out how corrupt and non-conservative the political establishment in Texas is, and thus the Cruz victory (as well as other state-level victories) is a step in the right direction for activists who want a cleaner in-state government.

5. Campaigning is exhausting. I don’t know House Members do it so often, or how Presidential staffers manage. And I was the low guy on the totem pole, meaning I didn’t have to work as hard as everyone else.

I spent my college years involved on a state and local level in politics, but forgot what it was like to attend rallies, participate in other activist events, etc. Such is the result of living and working inside the Beltway for nearly four years. It was great to get out and be reminded about life outside of the elitist, over-educated and under-intelligent Beltway.

Comments

Congratulations for your hard work.

Now stop calling me!

cozmo on August 1, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Ted’s huge win over dewhurst last night was just wonderful!

Thank every Texan that voted for Ted. May other states do the same for good NEW in the sentate and house. The other major one, vote against bho for Mitt.
L

letget on August 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

steebo77 on August 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Worth repeating and spot on.

This was pretty durn big.

cozmo on August 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM

…wait!…the Tea Party died and they don’t exist anymore!…they ..they told us…it must be true!

KOOLAID2 on August 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Not going to vote for Romney because he’s too liberal? der

He was my first choice in 2008 and I will have to settle for him in 2012 but I’ll dang sure vote for him no matter what over Obama. For obvious reasons.

DanMan on August 1, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

steebo77 on August 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Exactly what I thought.

Bitter Clinger on August 1, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Govt is out of control. I so much love the Tea Party, call myself a Tea Partier, but we have to fight hard against (in consideration of the electorate) going to unacceptable extremes. We don’t want a middle of the road mush that won’t either attract the voters or get the job that is needed done.
But get a feel for what the extremes are. Temper it down. Find the sweetspot of what is workable for our side.
One issue to avoid comes to mind. Avoid at all costs the extreme of abortion not allowed in cases of rape and incest (consider Ken Buck in CO who would have won the Senate in 2010 if it wasn’t for that); and I’m not sure exactly what taking this extreme position has to do with the Tea Party’s purpose, but Buck was Tea Party supported and that was his position.

anotherJoe on August 1, 2012 at 2:45 PM

We’re working on that in Ohio.

Bitter Clinger on August 1, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Kudos to the TEA (taxed enough already) Party for winning soooo big in GA yesterday.

Spread this word around. It was BIG, as Mr. Bean would say.

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Exactly what I thought.

ME also. If that is the case, no more reading from Dustin. If he won’t vote for Mitt, who bho, stay home, write in?
L

letget on August 1, 2012 at 2:47 PM

So Dustin thinks Palin is too dumb and Romney is too liberal…

steebo77 on August 1, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Strange Totem Poles they have there in the beltway. Any time I was ever on the bottom I usually did MOST of the work.

Spider79 on August 1, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Where is the video of Sarah on Greta discussing the
“Dick…er, VP Dick Cheney” smear?

Amjean on August 1, 2012 at 2:48 PM

How important to you is replacing a far, far, far, far, far, far, far left President with a moderately right-of-center one?

Apparently not important at all.

steebo77 on August 1, 2012 at 2:49 PM

He will most likely be elected come November as the real race in Texas is in the Republican primaries. Now he will have to go to Washington and fight the establishment RINOs and Dims. I hope he turns out more like a Rand Paul as opposed to Marco Rubio. Unfortunately, Rubio has supported many statist and establishment policies and bills such as the NDAA.

MoreLiberty on August 1, 2012 at 2:49 PM

What’s that old saw about “success has a thousand fathers, but failure is an orphan?” Springs to mind for some reason…

Explains a lot, IMO.

!!!!!

Sounds like you could use a few more “elucidating” conversations, Mr. Siggins.

(Shakes head, wonders over to other threads…)

cs89 on August 1, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Relax y’all, he ain’t stupid in the total ABR nutball way, he is a work in progress.

He’ll know what is the right decision come November. And helping to get real rightys elected is a worthy cause regardless if he goes dante-like stupid come election time.

cozmo on August 1, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Dusten Siggins seems engage in pretzel logic..:)

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I don’t care much for your travelogue. I didn’t find it the
least bit informative.

Perhaps HA should post commentary from Marcus Lloyd (or is it Lloyd
Marcus, I always forget) the guy who is always with the Tea
Party buses and actually knows what is going on.

Amjean on August 1, 2012 at 2:52 PM

^ And “wanders.” While in “wonder” at the strangeness of this post…

cs89 on August 1, 2012 at 2:52 PM

We’re working on that in Ohio.

Bitter Clinger on August 1, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Since he’s virtually guaranteed to win the general, Cruz has said his highest priority now is to campaign and fundraise for other candidates around the country – in particular Senate candidates – in particular conservative ones – in particular Josh Mandel.

steebo77 on August 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Sorry that’s Dustin..:)

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM

To all my Texas friends please make an effort to stay in touch with your congressmen. Especially if you are in Abilene, Big Spring and Lubbock served by Randy Neugebauer! Randy is considered the budget brain in the Texas delegation.

In the early spring of 2011 Randy and Jeb Hensarling were on TV declaring that by not raising the debt limit it would force congress to prioritize spending. By Easter of 2011 they had gone quiet. By the Summer of 2011 when the Budget Reconcilliation Act was passed they were invisible.

Now is the time to get their attention. Please engage them. I have weighed in with Cornyn on not negotiating amongst ourselves while Harry Reid refuses to act. Just stop spending until we can get reinforcements in!

Heck this comment goes to everybody everywhere.

DanMan on August 1, 2012 at 2:55 PM

So Dustin thinks Palin is too dumb and Romney is too liberal…

steebo77 on August 1, 2012 at 2:47 PM

It appears that actual thinking isn’t Dustin’s strong suit.

PatientWolf on August 1, 2012 at 2:57 PM

So Dustin thinks Palin is too dumb and Romney is too liberal…

steebo77 on August 1, 2012 at 2:47 PM

And he thinks George Will is a bang-up speaker.

Bitter Clinger on August 1, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Awwww, so Dustin was traveling thru Texas. Hopefully
somebody took him to the BIG Texas Steakhouse in Amarillo,
so the local Roller Derby girls could B-Slap him.

ToddPA on August 1, 2012 at 2:59 PM

steebo77 on August 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Excellent!! We’re going to need it.

Bitter Clinger on August 1, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Dude…seriously??? Breath taking stupidity…you have a poor grasp of the stakes/reality…the occupy movement probably appeals to you as well

winston on August 1, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I think I mentioned yesterday that this guy was a moron for his “tax cuts cost the gov’t”. I mocked him for the “tin foil hat” attitude of being in opposition to a VOLUNTARY purchase program for right of way transmission lines in the northeast. I’m afraid I have missed the rest of his eminently missable scribbles.

How about it MKH? You really want your new role to be an editor of this crap?

deadite on August 1, 2012 at 3:04 PM

cozmo on August 1, 2012 at 2:52 PM

This…I hope.

22044 on August 1, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Whether or not you like Romney, Dustin, you need to realize that the President between 2013 and 2016 will be either Barack Obama or Mitt Romney. If you don’t want another four years of Barack Obama’s disastrous policies for our nation, the way of getting rid of him is to vote for Mitt Romney. Even if he is too liberal for your tastes, he would be a MUCH better President than Obama, and would most likely SIGN legislation passed by a Republican Congress instead of vetoing it, and appoint SCOTUS justices who will uphold the Constitution instead of a liberal agenda.

It’s great to work with the Tea Party Express to get conservative Senators like Ted Cruz elected in red states like Texas, where they can get majority support and actually help make laws in the U.S. Senate. It’s great to go RINO hunting in states like Texas or Indiana or South Carolina, but the Tea Party needs to choose its battles wisely. In states where Democrats CAN win elections, it’s better to support more “moderate” Republicans who can win elections and vote “conservative” 70 or 80% of the time, than Tea Partiers who will likely lose elections to Democrats who will vote conservative less than 10% of the time.

The goal is to promote the most conservative candidates WHO CAN WIN. Which is more conservative in TX, SC, and IN than in states like NV, CO, or Delaware.

Steve Z on August 1, 2012 at 3:07 PM

winston on August 1, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I would say that is true, based on his earlier rants. However, the fact that we are getting nut cases (whom we would ordinarily have described as squishy libs in prior years) joining up shows that the current govt has forced all the nice people over to our side. Now we just have to keep them from infiltrating (like it appears this guy is doing) and undermining the Tea Party… But this is good news, because I think it means that the game is over. If this guy is trying to claim he is a conservative (when last time he probably voted for the Won) there are probably a lot like him, and so I am guessing the Won is Toast…

deadite on August 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM

winston on August 1, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Beat me to it…

… I think I’ll be skiping Dustin’s posts from now on.

Seven Percent Solution on August 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I just read Friedman’s piece linked in the headlines and yet this is still the dumbest thing I have read all day.

PatientWolf on August 1, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I’m going to assume Dustin has all the seasoning of the left’s new journo-messiah Ezra Klein but with a more open mind. Dustin, are you 30 yet?

DanMan on August 1, 2012 at 3:15 PM

glad to see you’re okay Dustin….had us skeered for a bit this am/

ted c on August 1, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Um, yeah. You know, George isn’t a big fan of the tea party. Would he still shake your hand after spending time with these American rebels?

Dustin, you need to get out a lot more. You know, meet some real people for a while.

who is unlikely to vote in the fall for Romney because of how liberal he is

How much exactly is the width of separation between the stances of George Will and Mitt Romney?

beatcanvas on August 1, 2012 at 3:17 PM

check out this small business owner’s sign from Savannah, GA

ted c on August 1, 2012 at 3:17 PM

With a name like Dustbin, er, I mean Dustin, no wonder you talk and write trash.

HerneTheHunter on August 1, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

steebo77 on August 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM
Exactly what I thought.

Bitter Clinger on August 1, 2012 at 2:44 PM

me too…you gotta be kidding me…to him the choomer is less liberal than Romney???? Dude must be a koolaid drinker…

RedInMD on August 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Hoo boy. You really are a glutton for punishment. If you think you got it bad from us ‘nistas, just wait til the Mittler Youth nutjobs get through with you, ya filthy Commie. /

ddrintn on August 1, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Yep, dingy harry was as correct as he usually is : “the Tea Party is dead” !

dingy-harry’s head is shoved so far up his “bill-maher” that he has not the slightest inking of reality.

From the urban Dictionary:
“Harry Reid” = “A sexual position where you climb on top and then do absolutely nothing.”

TeaPartyNation on August 1, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Well, Kremer is right. So, what are you going to do, support Obama or support freedom and liberty?

And don’t give me the old line about how sitting out isn’t the same thing as supporting Obama. We all know that Obama’s whole electoral strategy revolves around getting enough people who don’t like him to stay home so that he can squeak in to a second term.

dczombie on August 1, 2012 at 3:31 PM

So Dustin thinks Palin is too dumb and Romney is too liberal…

steebo77 on August 1, 2012 at 2:47 PM

No. Just like many Republicans, Dustin thinks that ordinary, average Americans are not “great” enough to become leaders. Can’t blame Dustin. He’s been taught that way ever since.

TheAlamos on August 1, 2012 at 3:32 PM

“In voicing my opinion to TPE staff as someone who isn’t enthused by Palin, yet who is unlikely to vote in the fall for Romney because of how liberal he is, this led to a series of discussions about the election not being about Obama vs. Romney. ”

You must be a FReeper. Your stinking pride is going to help send this entire nation to hell. Thanks fool.

nueces on August 1, 2012 at 3:35 PM

steebo77 on August 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM

This seems like an appropriate time to trot out Instapundit’s well used line. “Don’t get cocky, kid.”

dczombie on August 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Dustin The Clueless wrote, “in voicing my opinion to TPE staff as someone who isn’t enthused by Palin, yet who is unlikely to vote in the fall for Romney because of how liberal he is…”

Congratulations on facilitating the re-election of Barack Obama the corporatist, wealth redistributor. You’ll love your years living in America with his new Supreme Court appointees and their rulings.

Who here doesn’t perceive (correctly) that Romney is more liberal? But the experience first hand of the Obama 1st term should make voters shudder at an Obama unfettered by toning down his agenda for re-election.

philw1776 on August 1, 2012 at 3:42 PM

dczombie on August 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Usually I would agree wholly with that statement. In this case, Cruz does have some breathing room.

cozmo on August 1, 2012 at 3:44 PM

… I think I’ll be skipping Dustin’s posts from now on.

Seven Percent Solution on August 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM

TheAlamos on August 1, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Although I’m with you 7% I also think Dunstin is a product of our educational system (brainwashing)that leads his type to consider flatlanders and flyovers intrinsically less capable of conceiving or understanding complicated thought.

It is not something that can be fixed without years of a$$ kicking by the real world.

koaiko on August 1, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Dustin -

When did George Will become a conservative? Must have been while I was asleep last night. The only contact Will has with middle class America is the guy who brings food to the owners box at the Orioles games.

bw222 on August 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

steebo77 on August 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Exactly what I thought.

Bitter Clinger on August 1, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Me too. While each to his own, I don’t care for the quoted thoughts. I didn’t get the candidate I wanted, or any of them, but I’m not going to waste my vote like dust bunny.

GaltBlvnAtty on August 1, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Palin ran Alaska better than Obowmao ran his precinct.

King Putt, Dear Liar, President Present, President Downgrade, take your pick. They are all applicable to this complete and utter fraud.

So, Dustin, if you voted for Obama in 2008, you were stupid.
If you vote for Obama in 2012, you are insane.

Missilengr on August 1, 2012 at 4:00 PM

nueces on August 1, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Pride? By no means is anyone to lay any blame on the doorstep of the GOP and the sheeple primary voters who took great pride in giving us the nominee that the MSM and political class assured us was The Only One Who Can Beat Obama.

ddrintn on August 1, 2012 at 4:01 PM

winston on August 1, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I felt the groin kick coming as the intensity of his academic froth continued to escalate. Obviously, this Bostonian perfected wearing his glasses to a point well beyond just the tip of his nose.

ericdijon on August 1, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Dustin, reading this paragraph, I am convinced you are ESL (English as a Second Language). My wife is a para-pro (teacher’s aide) and works with Hispanic kids teaching them colors, numbers, etc. Maybe she can help you.

bw222 on August 1, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I didn’t get the candidate I wanted…

GaltBlvnAtty on August 1, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I hear that all the time, along with “Romney’s not my third or even fourth choice, but…” But yet Romney’s the nominee and everyone is expected once again to fall in line.

ddrintn on August 1, 2012 at 4:04 PM

You can vote as you want…but a vote for Virgil Goode or Gary Johnson is a vote for a person who has NO chance at victory. Make a statement if you want, to…you don’t HAVE to “fall in line” but your statement won’t be heard and will contribute to Obama’s reelection.

JFKY on August 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM

bw222 on August 1, 2012 at 4:02 PM

No, it’s a perfectly understandable statement. The election isn’t about Romney vs Obama, it’s about good vs evil, commies vs the RedWhiteAndBlue, Batman vs the Joker, blahblah. It’s an acknowledgement of the hold-the-nose factor again.

ddrintn on August 1, 2012 at 4:11 PM

JFKY on August 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM

No it won’t. I honestly don’t know how I’m going to vote in November at this point. But a vote for neither Romney nor Obama is a vote for neither Romney nor Obama. Period.

ddrintn on August 1, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I didn’t get the candidate I wanted…

GaltBlvnAtty on August 1, 2012 at 3:59 PM

ddrintn on August 1, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Not everyone, for I have low expectations about some.
If Obama wins, our country is done as we know it.

GaltBlvnAtty on August 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I’m sure it’s what you tell yourself…but a split Opposition aids the party in Power….D’uh…ask Thatcher, H3ll ask Hitler, for that matter.

Again vote as you wish, but a vote that is not against Obama or FOR Romney is a vote for Obama….

And get over your cry-baby self…I’d imagine the number of folks who have voted for THEIR No.3 Candidate in the General is in the Hundreds of millions, over the last century…

Lots of people had to vote Bush ’43 or Bush ’41 or Reagan, who didn’t support them in the Primaries…

JFKY on August 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Not everyone, for I have low expectations about some.
If Obama wins, our country is done as we know it.

GaltBlvnAtty on August 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM

It was supposed to have been done after 2008 as well. If the only way you can sell a candidate is to say that if one doesn’t vote for him one is voting for the destruction of the universe, then dude. You’ve lost. And in that case spare us all the fantasizing about a Romney landslide.

Look, I’m not a member of the GOP. Or the Democrat party. It’s not MY responsibility to line up and vote for whatever candidate that the GOP nominates. It’s that nominee’s job to convince me to vote for him or her without the blackmail.

ddrintn on August 1, 2012 at 4:20 PM

ddrintn on August 1, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Limited grasp of how numbers work – right?

ericdijon on August 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM

It’s called Strategic Voting…but hey you be “pure”, if you want.

JFKY on August 1, 2012 at 4:22 PM

JFKY on August 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM

No it isn’t. That tired “argument” has been shot down so many times already.

So tell me: if a lefty votes for Ralph Nader instead of Obama, is that a vote for Obama and not Romney?

Listen carefully for the millionth time: if I don’t vote for either Romney or Obama, that is a vote that the GOP has LOST. Not one that Obama and the Dems have gained. Obama’s vote total is the same regardless.

ddrintn on August 1, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Dustin,

Get over yourself.

AWK

APACHEWHOKNOWS on August 1, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Limited grasp of how numbers work – right?

ericdijon on August 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I’m not the one pulling imaginary “non-vote for any becomes vote for one” numbers out of my ass.

ddrintn on August 1, 2012 at 4:27 PM

In 2000 a vote FOR nader, in Fl or a number of other states WAs a vote FOR Bush ’43 and the Democrats and Leftists pointed it out…it’s why the Green party only campaigns in states that are solidly Obama or Romeny….they will NOT campaign in closely contested elections, becuase they want their voters to vote DEMOCRAT, not Green.

Now it’s funny that a bunch of mango-headed, tofu-eating, Birkenstock wearing Commies can figure this out, but you can’t.

A vote for Nader in Fl or OH or Va in 2012 is a vote FOR Romney…

JFKY on August 1, 2012 at 4:28 PM

ddrintn on August 1, 2012 at 4:20 PM

It pretty well has been done since 2008. Look at our debt, deficit, crony capitalism, EPA run amok, Obamacare, HHS Mandate, the tens of thousands of pages of regulations still waiting to be written that we haven’t seen yet, etc. It’s over. We have one chance here to potentially roll back the tide. If we can’t get it done with this election, the damage Obama has done will be permanant and irreversible.

So, yeah, 2012 is a pretty damn critical election. And people who abet Obama’s reelection bid by not voting in the general election for the only candidate who has a shot at beating him are every bit as responsible for what happens as those who actually vote for Obama.

dczombie on August 1, 2012 at 4:32 PM

A vote for Nader in Fl or OH or Va in 2012 is a vote FOR Romney…

JFKY on August 1, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Hear that, ‘bots? If you live in FL or OH, vote for either Nader or Romney. All the same.

It’s called Strategic Voting…but hey you be “pure”, if you want.

JFKY on August 1, 2012 at 4:22 PM

And you vote for all the Dem Lites your squishy little heart desires. Just don’tb1tch and moan 3 years from now about how nothing ever changes.

ddrintn on August 1, 2012 at 4:34 PM

It pretty well has been done since 2008.

dczombie on August 1, 2012 at 4:32 PM

LOL. You think this started in 2008?

ddrintn on August 1, 2012 at 4:36 PM

dczombie on August 1, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Romney’s done for if this is his main selling point. Done.

ddrintn on August 1, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Romney’s done for if this is his main selling point. Done.

ddrintn on August 1, 2012 at 4:37 PM

No one said it’s his main selling point, it’s just the one that seems to resonate best with people too daft to see the differences betwtween Obama and Romney and the way they would govern for the next four years.

dczombie on August 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I can’t believe you aren’t going to vote for Romney. That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. If you don’t vote for Romney, you are handing Obama a half a vote, and he’s totally radical left. In a bad way. The way I vote is to vote for the person who is best for America, not the lesser of two evils. I believe in creating the best we can with what we have.

I should mention that I’m from Utah, where we had the winter Olympics 10 years ago. Romney faced something like a $400M deficit and turned a $40M profit. And that was with an Olympics that was under the cloud of a bribery scandal. So I think to myself, if Romney can do that, what could he do for the whole country?

Yes, I would have liked somebody more conservative, but the nomination was already his by the time we had our primaries. But he is the best choice, and I’m going to vote for him.

zonataman on August 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Texas Tea.

jake49 on August 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM

No one said it’s his main selling point,

It’s the main one I see.

dczombie on August 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I see the differences. To think that the differences are such that it makes much of a real difference in the long run is also daft. More of the same.

ddrintn on August 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Wholly cow, is there no screening process at all anymore to be a blogger on this site?

I’m as red as they get, but if the election was between Obama and Bill Clinton…I’m voting Bill Clinton. I can’t stand Clinton, but I’m not going to sit at home on election day and watch this country go down the drain.

Vigilante on August 1, 2012 at 6:16 PM

So, no signs of Romney there, eh?

DannoJyd on August 1, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Every four years, people who actually believe in something are told that we must “vote for the lesser of two evils.” Romney’s not perfect, say the conservatives, but Obama must go. Sure, Obama is basically Bush on steroids, but Romney would be worse say the liberals. And they’re both right!

That’s the problem with this strategy, especially in 2012. Who is actually the lesser of two evils? In Obama and Romney, you have a conservative Democrat facing off against a liberal Republican. There isn’t a single issue in which one of them is better on that makes me consider voting for either of them. The rhetoric may differ, and there may be slightly different management styles with which they would run the empire, but their philosophies are cut from the same tired cloth of flexing state power both domestically and abroad.

Wow! Who would have thunk it.

DannoJyd on August 2, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Well Mr. Siggins, if your intention was to build a following among the ABR nutbase, I think you succeeded.

I still appreciate your work on behalf of Cruz and look forward to your continued help for other TEA party friendly candidates in their effort to replace 0bama with the only other viable presidential candidate this November. The one who will actually work with them.

cozmo on August 2, 2012 at 11:29 AM