Palin on Cheney’s VP comments: You’ve bought the media’s false narrative about me

posted at 7:16 pm on August 1, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, an obligatory rejoinder to Cheney’s dig at her over the weekend. The reference to “misfiring” is, I trust, no accident.

The irony of this flap is that I’m not sure his dig was really aimed at her. Maybe I misunderstood but I didn’t take his comments to be a criticism of Palin the person or the politician, as is typically the case in “lamestream media” coverage. His point, I thought, was broader: If you have just two years of national or gubernatorial experience, then you’re not qualified to be VP. Full stop. I doubt he’d say that outright about Rubio or Christie or Kelly Ayotte, all of whom are in the same boat, as it’d be awkward for an elder statesman to be ruling out candidates who are still in the mix. My sense, though, is that he was trying to say that about them in a backhanded way by using Palin as an example. And why would he do that? Well, possibly because he’s rooting for Bush/Cheney alum Rob Portman. They’re old friends, I take it; Portman, in fact, was tapped to play the role of Joe Lieberman and John Edwards in mock debates with Cheney in 2000 and 2004. He has the most federal experience of all the shortlisters by a wide margin. By dismissing Palin as too green in 2008, Cheney’s framing the VP criteria to his advantage.

Don’t fret for Sarah, though. Given Ted Cruz’s and Deb Fischer’s big wins and the fact that no Republican pol in America is running on Bush’s record, she has more currency on the right than even DC does. Watch to the end to see her frame this, understandably, as an “establishment vs. populist” dispute.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

She is awesome. Romney/Palin 2012

Bulletchaser on August 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Palin is an admirable person but a lousy politician and a hothead. That she didn’t mean to insult VP Cheney with the way she said “Dick” is about as believable as when Obama said “teabaggers” and tried to pass it off as an innocent mistake.

The Count on August 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM

The reason I wrote above…Palin is Obama. They have the same persona. Eliminate their political differences, they are the same.

Redford on August 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM

A man of his background who is sharp and no idiot – of course he knew what he was saying and how it would be taken.

Now who is was meant to hit or make a point with is another question and that would be interesting to know.

kim roy on August 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

The first thing media ran with was this hit from Dick.
So yes it was all deliberate and calculated by him.

The timing points to the success with Cruz to try to minimize her influence.

the_nile on August 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Had Mccain had a real campaign team they would have won.

the_nile on August 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I disagree. I don’t think there was any way McCain was going to beat Obama in “the most historic historical election in U.S. history.” People walked across the aisle and pulled the lever just to be able to tell their grand-kids that they had done it.

In retrospect, it would have been better to run a goat.

Axe on August 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Some will love her for it. Others will hate her for it. Many like myself fall somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. On this particular matter, you and I have a difference of opinion. So be it.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Probably nobody. That doesn’t mean she was the best choice.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Logic much? If their was no best choice, than any choice was in fact the best choice.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM

bluegill on August 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I wish you and the other radicals really believed that. But, alas, you don’t because you fear her. That’s why you are in every. single. Palin. thread.

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM

The Count on August 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM

And another soulless Mittwit weighs in..:)

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Palin separated his first name, rather distinctly, from the rest of his title. If this were a lefty, you would not question for one moment that it was a foul remark.
MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Sorry, but that’s a real stretch.

whatcat on August 1, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Note to Sarah {cuda}:
=====================

Don’t Change,You Go girl,your Pissing Off The [Right] and Left
People!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on August 1, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Only in a Palin thread could I get flamed for saying something that’s not even critical of Palin. I’m telling you what Cheney was saying, not my personal view. I don’t know if there should be a hard rule about two years’ experience. I liked when Palin was chosen in ’08. She was a shot in the arm.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Though I’m starting to feel like I’m in the bar scene from Goodfellas, you did disrespect her a little bit. By mentioning it you’re giving some credence to Cheney’s notion that the 2 year hard and fast rule should be respected. I mean, if his criteria is wrong, then he might be making a mistake in his judgment of Sarah. If you thought he was dead wrong, you’d write a different post. I just think you’re hiding behind the idea that Cheney’s was just a technical comment or distinction.

Paul-Cincy on August 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Considering that she ran against Obama (with absolutely NO experience in anything) and Slow Joe, she actually had more executive experience than both of them. Cheney’s no dimwit – he knows this. He also knows the press and what the mere mention of Palin’s name does so why do it?

There’s no doubt in my mind that he knew exactly what he was doing. Not sure of the reason, tho.

kim roy on August 1, 2012 at 8:26 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Maddy, you magnificent bastard. Trust me when I say, you are the last person I want to get into a pissing match with.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Probably nobody. That doesn’t mean she was the best choice.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I’m thinking now it was the wrong choice for her.

Man, hindsight rocks.

Axe on August 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Oops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rush:

“Pure and Simple. Sarah Palin Was Not The Mistake On That Ticket.”
This entry was posted on August 1, 2012 at 5:01 pm.
*****************************************************

RUSH: And we all know that that campaign would have had zilch, zero, nada energy and wouldn’t have had anywhere near the chance it had were it not for Palin. No question about it. The mistake on that ticket was not Palin. Pure and simple. Sarah Palin was not the mistake on that ticket.

============================

Palin Wasn’t the Mistake on That Ticket
August 01, 2012

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Now, last Sunday on this week, Jonathan Karl interviewed Dick Cheney, and this is the sound bite where Cheney says that picking Sarah Palin was a mistake. And this was a toughie. It’s not a defensible comment. I wouldn’t even try. The thing to note about this is that shortly after this, Liz Cheney sent out the following tweet. “Rarely do I disagree with the best VP ever, but Sarah Palin is more qualified than Obama and Biden combined. I have huge respect for all she’s done for the GOP.” So Liz Cheney tweeted that. That didn’t get a lot of coverage, either, but she tweeted it three or four hours, later that afternoon on Sunday.
(More…)
============

Transcript:

canopfor on August 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM

canopfor on August 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM

It’s a deranged Mittwit..:)

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM

You shouldn’t talk about logic when you have none of your own. Even if they couldn’t win, some VP candidates were better than others. Hence, there was a best. She might not have been the best.

Yes, I’m saying she’s not perfect. Don’t like it? Go fantasize about murdering people over a plant some more.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

The first thing media ran with was this hit from Dick.
So yes it was all deliberate and calculated by him.

The timing points to the success with Cruz to try to minimize her influence.

the_nile on August 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Worked like a charm, it did.

kim roy on August 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I reject Dick Cheney’s position that only government bureaucrats are qualified to be president.

besser tot als rot on August 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Why? Other than his proclivity to hurl vulgarities, he’s a great person to argue with.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I’m thinking now it was the wrong choice for her.

Man, hindsight rocks.

Axe on August 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Same here. If she hadn’t had to deal with all those bogus ethics investigations and stayed in office, she’d be a goddamned juggernaut. Thankfully, she’s still a kingmaker, as was displayed last night in Texas.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM

She was alluding to the sexual meaning of his first name, just as lefties have for years.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

bw222 on August 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Quit giving Sarah Palin a large amount of credit for Ted Cruz’s victory. She was just ONE of MANY who worked for Ted’s victory and who endorsed him. The problem with Sarah Palin, who resigned in disgrace as governor before completing even a single term, is that she isn’t taken seriously by most voters. She’s more of a celebrity or untested novelty politician than someone we would trust in a position of immense power. Unfortunately for her, her routine is wearing a bit thin among everyone but the most diehard groupies.

bluegill on August 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Keep trying. That last PPP poll also polled the relative strength of the endorsers. Palin’s endorsement had by far the strongest positive influence with the GOP primary voters in Texas, double that of their own governor.

Clear evidence that she isn’t taken seriously. And, that diehard groupie bunch is a lot larger than you think, fish-for-brains.

SCSoxFan on August 1, 2012 at 8:30 PM

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I can totally get more pissed than you! :P

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:30 PM

besser tot als rot on August 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I’ve been arguing this point since 2006: The qualifications to be president are 35 years of age, and natural-birth citizenship. That’s it. Any other talk of “qualifications” is specious and meaningless beyond what the American people are willing to accept. Funny, isn’t it, how the framers of the constitution actually trusted the people to know what they were doing?

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 8:04 PM

That’s gonna leave a mark.

Better put some ice on that.

novaculus on August 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM

besser tot als rot on August 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Tebow. Tebow. Tebow.

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM

For all the Sturm und Drang over this…

The thing that strikes me most about what Cheney said was that, given SP’s 2 years of experience as CEO of Alaska, she had more meaningful executive experience than at least one GOP candidate for Veep that I’m sure carried the Dick Cheney stamp of approval.

So what qualifications did Dan Quayle have, Mr Cheney, that Sarah Palin lacks?

JohnGalt23 on August 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I can totally get more pissed than you! :P

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I know you can. I know from firsthand knowledge.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I use profanity. You wish you could kill American citizens on the spot for having drugs on them.

Clearly, I’m the unreasonable one.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:32 PM

canopfor on August 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Rush was saying this in the context of whether or not a VP pick would be a game changer for Romney and he specifically said the Palin pick was a game changer for the McLAME campaign and he meant it in a positive way. Only the most ignorant haters could deny she breathed fresh air into a stale, dead, old, dog tired campaign and dam near pulled the old fools fat outta The fire. Until he suspended his campaign went to DC and made a fool of himself as he is want to do whenever the cameras are rolling!

Govt is not the answer, freedom and free enterprise, unrestricted capitalism is the answer and I am not sure any of the Good Old Boys really truely get or believe that.

ConcealedKerry on August 1, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I’m thinking now it was the wrong choice for her.

Man, hindsight rocks.

Axe on August 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

You’re not the only one that thinks this.

SCSoxFan on August 1, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Sorry, my link didn’t copy over.

SCSoxFan on August 1, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Worked like a charm, it did.

kim roy on August 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Limp dick effort.

the_nile on August 1, 2012 at 8:34 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I’ll admit her intro line went right past me last night, but while no one can say with absolute certainty she did or didn’t realize her double entendre before she spoke, IMO it’s highly improbable that she did not. Not only because she’s verbally adept and knows her words will be analyzed, but because I would say with 99.999% certainty that she had planned her answer—she very obviously knew exactly what she was going to say about Cheney’s remarks as she started to retell her record in Alaska.

Having said that, she should have omitted it, kept the line about Cheney misfiring which is funny enough, and then gone right into her rehearsal of her record as governor.

INC on August 1, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Palin has a thin skin. She really is obama in a skirt. Of course she wasn’t ready to be VP, she proved even the job of governor of Alaska got too hot for her. But she is living in this bubble where the only people who think she is unqualified are liberals living in lala land. The reality is that even the people in Alaska don’t much care for her, nor do independents, nor do most of the right-wingers. It isn’t the lamestream media, sarah, it’s America in general, right down to that infamous left-wing liberal hack, Dick Cheney.

keep the change on August 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Redford on August 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM

And eliminate their accomplishments, philosophy, way of life, yeah, then they are the same.

Dongemaharu on August 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Madden?

I gave orders he was to be de-pantsed and thrown out in the alley if he showed up. The guards have been lax.

novaculus on August 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Defend Palin all you want…but she was petty and nasty. Reminds me a little like Obama. Thin skinned and she obviously loves herself and lime light. I once knew girls like her in high school…Palin should look in the mirror, she’s not in high school anymore.

Redford on August 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM

It looks like Megan McCain has joined the party…:)

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM

No, it’s not Megs. The screed made a bit of sense. I can see how you thought that though – the whiny tone was about perfect.

kim roy on August 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I do quite well with logic, thank you very much.

On the contrary, if their is no way of winning, it doesn’t matter who the VP choice is. If it doesn’t matter than all choices are equal. That is basic logic, not that you would recognize it.

It doesn’t bother me in the slightest that you think Sarah Palin isn’t perfect, she isn’t and I don’t think or pretend that she is.

As for my stance on executing people caught smuggling 5 pounds or more of narcotics into America, I remain utterly unapologetic about that, you don’t like it, phuck off.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Yes, but Sarah Palin’s cringe-worthy 2008 run for VP necessitated this whole conversation. If Sarah Palin had not become the laughing stock she did (which, of course, was largely the result of her own ongoing displays of incompetence), then I doubt Dick Cheney would have felt as compelled to go out of his way to make this point.

Regardless of what prompted Cheney to say what he did, Cheney was RIGHT!!

Kudos to Dick Cheney for having the courage to speak the truth. Yes, it is important to nominate someone who is tested and who has significant experience. It’s a no-brainer.

Someone with just few months experience as governor of a sparsely populated state (even if those months followed successful stints as PTA president and Wasilla city council member) might not have been the most responsible pick. You Sarah Palin groupies who swoon and giggle ever time Sarah winks or utters a “you betcha” remind us of the liberal cultists who worship in the cult of Obama.

Bottom line is that neither Obama nor Palin were even remotely qualified.

bluegill on August 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I know you can. I know from firsthand knowledge.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Oh, you haven’t even seen the volcano truly erupt. Perhaps on a future show…

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Dick Cheney is a neocon, not a conservative. Like all neocons, he is all for involving the U.S. in wars as long as he is not involved. He had five deferments during Nam.

How is Cheney a conservative? He isn’t a fiscal conservative. He isn’t a social conservative.

bw222 on August 1, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Wow, what a shocker. Another Palin thread…

OmahaConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Oh, you haven’t even seen the volcano truly erupt. Perhaps on a future show…

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM

You’ll have to let me know in advance so I can peg it as adults only.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM

faraway

Yep, we’re deathly afraid of her. Just like we’re afraid of gays, blacks, browns, women, etc, etc, etc.

xblade on August 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Awesome. You’re stating that Carrot Top or Alan Grayson would have been as good a candidate as Sarah Palin.

Fascinating “logic” you’ve got there.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Clearly, I’m the unreasonable one.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:32 PM

No, clearly you are just an imbecile. I never advocated that, but doper that you are you still feel threatened. I very specifically advocated executing on the spot anyone caught smuggling 5 pounds or more of narcotics into the United States.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM

INC on August 1, 2012 at 8:34 PM

If someone behaves like an ass , you can call him a dick without any sexual allusion. And Dick was an ass.

the_nile on August 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Dick Cheney is a neocon, not a conservative.

bw222 on August 1, 2012 at 8:38 PM

What does the “con” stand for in “neocon”? I guess that means that paleocons aren’t conservative, either.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM

canopfor on August 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I’m always amused by the ‘nistas who tell us Palin is the only reason conservatives turned out in an election in which we got crushed (which is when they change the argument to say conservatives didn’t turn out because of McCain).

Rush knows who his audience is. He’s not going to intentionally tank his own ratings. The reality is Palin helped with conservatives but hurt us more with independents (the people who hire and fire all presidents). We probably would have lost either way that year after the economic collapse and the unpopularity of the outgoing Bush.

The Count on August 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Redford on August 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Palin has a thin skin. She really is obama in a skirt.

keep the change on August 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM

That’s just so absurd. Obama is happy being “the one we have been waiting for”. If you said that about Palin she’d just laugh. Obama is about himself; Palin is about what she would do. In fact, Palin seems just as happy getting conservatives elected as she would being President herself. Because it’s not about her!

Paul-Cincy on August 1, 2012 at 8:41 PM

You wish you could kill American citizens on the spot for having drugs on them.

I never advocated that…

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM

You never advocated killing American citizens on the spot for having drugs on them.

But you advocated killing anyone, including American citizens, on the spot, for having what you consider to be too large a quantity of drugs on them.

Have a nice day, psycho.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:42 PM

The Count on August 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Exit polling suggests that you are flat-out wrong, dude. But whatevs.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:42 PM

bw222

He worked at Halliburton too, don’t forget that. Plus he pushed us into Iraq so we could steal their oil.

xblade on August 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I just can’t get worked up about this response. She gave back. TS for Dick Cheney. Boo hoo. I guess if she had the Cheney decoder ring to find his secret message, she could have softened her response some. Oh well. Somehow, we’ll all get past this.

Dongemaharu on August 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Sarah Palin isn’t fit to shine Dick Cheney’s shoes.

bluegill on August 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Dick? Don’t you mean “Vice President”?

TarheelBen on August 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM

keep the change on August 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Lying Liars and the Lies They Tell

Bitter Clinger on August 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Fascinating “logic” you’ve got there.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Losing is losing. If you don’t have any chance of winning, then no, it really doesn’t make a damned bit of difference. 1+1/=3 period, end of story.

You, having conceded that their was no good choice, conceded that losing was inevitable, ergo, that it made no difference who ran as VP. If it makes no difference because the end result will remain exactly the same, then all choices are in fact equal.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Sarah Palin is goodness personified. She is the Americans’ American. She embodies the very essence of what it means to be an American: tough, proud, independent, caring and industrious. All qualities the Left either lacks, rejects, or wish they had.

RavingLunatic on August 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Don’t let the facts get in the way of the narrative, dude;

narciso on August 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM

You, having conceded that their was no good choice…

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I never conceded that. Your mind-melting logic is that if they lost, that there were no good or bad choices. Palin was still a good choice, regardless of the outcome. That you cannot see past a loss to judge individuals involved shows the same intellectual shallowness that leads you to fantasize about killing people at will to solve the drug war.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Regarding Palin’s reference to Cheney…

Greta kept saying “Dick Cheney.” When Palin started talking and referred to him by his first name, it looked and sounded like she was correcting her error of speaking too informally. Her facial expression didn’t highlight it as an intentional dig. And the way she kept going after she said it and then stopped herself in the middle of the word “never” and started over with his more formal title also strikes me as being an indication of an unplanned self-correction, not an intentional insult.

And I think the reason she mistakenly referred to him informally like that was that she was focused on what she was about to say. Because when she said “misfires”–yeah, that was intentional. :)

Agree. Disagree. Whatever. My two cents.

butterflies and puppies on August 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM

bluegill on August 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM

No Palin would be Vice President right now (assuming she didn’t quit) or the GOP nominee. With her looks and solid conservative track record, sky was the limit for SP. The reality is: when the spotlight was on her she shit the bed; not only during the election but after. I’m pretty sure that’s what Cheney meant. She sucked… no conspiracy theories needed.

Go RBNY on August 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Exit polling suggests that you are flat-out wrong, dude. But whatevs.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Well, which is it – did conservatives turn out for Palin or did they stay home because of McCain? I really want to have this settled because either way we got killed with only 173 EV’s. Obama got in the upper 60′s of the independent vote, IIRC. By all means, tell me where I’m making a mistake.

The Count on August 1, 2012 at 8:48 PM

All right. On one side we’ve got the usual elitist d*ckholes tearing down Palin because for some reason they erroneously think themselves better than her. On the other side we’ve got people who have no problem with petty d*ck jokes when they come from someone we look up to.

Have fun, all.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Geez talk about spamming a thread. Funny! The irony will surely escape you. How about a nice tune to sooth the group?

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 8:50 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Most neocons (like the guys at the weekly standard) are not fiscal or social conservatives. But, they do like going to war and spreading democracy as long as they and their children are not involved.

bw222 on August 1, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Go RBNY on August 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Hey Mittwit, Romney has no core…:)

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Romney / PALIN 2012!

‘Eight Legit Reasons Why Sarah Palin is the Only Logical Choice to be Our Nation’s Next Vice President’

Pork-Chop on August 1, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Redford on August 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM

^^well put.

Thin-skinned, passive aggressive Sarah Palin doesn’t handle criticism well.

We want to support her, since we agree with her on most issues, but she’s demonstrated time and again that she is the last person who should become the public face of conservatism and Republicans. Ugh. It’s no wonder that Obama supporters love it when her name pops up in the headlines… besides GW Bush, she’s the person they’d most love to run against.

If you so much as suggest that maybe she wasn’t the most experienced person to select as VP nominee, then Sarah Palin will snap back at you and suggest you are brainwashed by the media and her groupies will accuse you of being a no-good RINO. It’s such a joke.

The Sarah Palin groupie-imposed ban on conservatives speaking anything but praise of Palin must end. It kind of reminds me of the Danish cartoon controversy. We need to have as many prominent conservatives coming out and saying the necessary truth that experience in VP nominee selection matters. The more conservatives who do this, the more the taboo of “oh my, he said Palin might not have been the greatest thing ever” will continue to fade away.

Dick Cheney simply said what most conservatives already believe.

After all, we need to win general elections (and Sarah Palin makes many conservatives feel embarrassed and is like poison among independents needed to win), and we shouldn’t be so concerned with what’s good or bad for Sarah Palin.

Palin, despite what she and her groupies want us to believe, is NOT the center of the conservative political universe.

Enough is enough.

bluegill on August 1, 2012 at 8:53 PM

The Count on August 1, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Look, I’m just telling you how I read the results of the exit polling, and that was that Sarah Palin was a net positive for McCain. To put it simply, McCain’s numbers, while dismal, would have been worse without her. Doesn’t matter to me how it split along conservative/independent lines. What matters is that evidence points to Sarah Palin as having helped John McCain on-balance. Period.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I like Palin, but this:

Seeing as how Dick – excuse me, Vice President Cheney…

…was crass and beneath her.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

This is why I’m glad I don’t have to vote for her. I agree with her on nearly every issue, but hurling that kind of insult makes her look really small and thin-skinned. Fine if you want to hit him back, but you don’t need to make yourself look like a kid in the schoolyard.

The Count on August 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

All right you dingbats, I have had enough of this. There was
no reflection in Palin’s voice to insinuate she was calling
Cheney a “dick”. She more than likely was trying to be “familiar”
by calling him by his first name, then corrected herself and
called him with more formality. I don’t believe he gave her that
same courtesy by calling her former VP candidate, Sarah Palin.

It is some of us who are reading into it….get over your
holier than thou ways. It is boring. And you are acting stupid.

Amjean on August 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Bitter Clinger on August 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM

If she’s so popular in Alaska, why did people there ignore her endorsement for Joe Miller and vote (write-in, no less) for Murkowski?

JFS61 on August 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM

The former vp was for Dewhurst and was trying to make a last minute save for his guy. If he’s a good friend of Portman, I’d tell Mitt to pick someone else. These guys just don’t seem to be getting the big picture which is we don’t want someone with a lot of federal experience.

Kissmygrits on August 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM

bluegill on August 1, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Have you heard that Mitt has invited Palin to speak at the convention, and she’s still weighing her options..:)

Beg Mitt, beg…LOL

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 8:57 PM

RavingLunatic on August 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Quitters do not embody the essence of what it means to be American. She wouldn’t even run for the nomination. The Fox contract was more important to her than representing her supporters. She is not “tough.” She is a wimp.

Go RBNY on August 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Enough is enough.

bluegill on August 1, 2012 at 8:53 PM

That goes for your elitist bulls**t, pal. Sarah Palin is part of the center of the conservative movement, whether you’re too chickens**t to face it or not. That’s why she’s still around, and still being called on by people like Ted Cruz. That’s why she’s still discussed by the right, and reviled by the left.

Who the f**k are you?

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Enough is enough.

bluegill on August 1, 2012 at 8:53 PM

We know you sure as hell aren’t.

Bitter Clinger on August 1, 2012 at 8:59 PM

JFS61 on August 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Wow Sparky, that’s a tough one…

Could it be that 50% of Democrats crossed over to vote for Murkowski?

Clueless.

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM

JFS61 on August 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM

She left the governor’s office with an 87% approval rating. I’m sure the media’s browbeating took a toll since.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Go RBNY on August 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I think you’re right.

I always thought she should have studied up on the issues a bit more, got some accomplishments under her belt, and then come back to the national scene as a more formidable figure. Seems awfully arrogant of her to insist that she was so uniquely qualified at the time; she often struggled in interviews to discuss policy in any kind of effective or in-depth way.

Go RBNY on August 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Agreed. I think it really is just that simple.

bluegill on August 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Could it be that 50% of Democrats crossed over to vote for Murkowski?

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM

There’s that, too.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM

That’s pretty disturbing right there.

JPeterman on August 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM

JFS61 on August 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Because a lot of Alaskans still like their pork. Hence, why Don Young has been Congressman there since 1974.

Bitter Clinger on August 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM

PALIN: Well, seeing as how Dick — excuse me, Vice President Cheney never misfires, then evidently, he’s quite convinced that what he had evidently read about me by the lamestream media having been written what I believe is a false narrative over the last four years, evidently, Dick Cheney believed that stuff, and that’s a shame. So he characterized me as being a mistake.

Did you or did you not serve 2 years as Governor? What does that indisputable fact have to do with the “lamestream media” or “false narratives”?

Buy Danish on August 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Go RBNY on August 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I wonder why Romney’s team invited her to speak? LOL

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM

JFS61 on August 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Good point. And let’s not forget Sarah Palin’s endorsement of Newt Gingrich (!) and her push for a brokered convention. We know how those endorsements turned out. Voters (THANKFULLY) had other ideas.

bluegill on August 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Palin-hate reminds me of Chick-Fil-A hate

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Cheney and the GOP Est. Elites are mad at Palin because her candidates keep winning and their candidates keep losing. He said what he said, not to help Portman or anything like that, he said what he said out of frustration and anger that their time has come and gone and it’s Palin’s and the TEA Party’s time now…

CCRWM on August 1, 2012 at 9:04 PM

CCRWM on August 1, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Has Romney endorsed Cruz yet? LOL

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Who is Rob Portman. Hot Air is the first place I have heard his name. I’m sure the more politically astute here are very aware of him but as well read and aware as I try to be I drew a blank. How will he benefit Romney?

Wolfen on August 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Ok, so, is this a lack of cognizance or merely a lack of intellectual honesty.

Probably nobody. That doesn’t mean she was the best choice.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Wolfen on August 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM

The same way that hiring Mike Leavitt for his transition team benefited him.

/KABOOM

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Palin-hate reminds me of Chick-Fil-A hate

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM

How funny, because Sarah Palin groupies bashing anyone who doesn’t kneel before Queen Sarah reminds me of the activists who want to prevent people like Chick-Fil-A’s president from voicing opposing views on same-sex marriage.

bluegill on August 1, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Seeing as how Dick – excuse me, Vice President Cheney…

…was crass and beneath her. It’s a sad state of affairs when someone who has been fighting off cheap leftist attacks for years lowers themselves to using those same attacks against another conservative.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Get your mind out of the gutter… where it seems to permanently reside…and this coming from you who said, “I’d climb that” in reference to a woman….please

She was being familiar with him and then reverted to formal..that’s all and you know it…

CCRWM on August 1, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Palin-hate reminds me of Chick-Fil-A hate

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Yep – SAME haters, different target – but just as silly.

Pork-Chop on August 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Go RBNY

bluegill

Buy Danish

“Return of the Mitt-bots, Part (Ad-Nauseum)”

I hate sequels.

Bitter Clinger on August 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

The Count on August 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Redford on August 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Mittwitts are so funny.

I mean they throw a fit if any one dare question Mitt but do not think twice about dissing the Parties most iconic leader for now.

Really Dick Chenny. Why would anyone listen to this loser. Or GW Bush. They lost the House to Nancy Poloski in 2006 then everything in 2008 while leaving office with a 20% apporval. They were the biggest disaster since Nixon. If they had any smarts whatsoever they could have done better than that.

Or else is it just that they went Establishment in the second term. That Establishment Republican only garners a 20% approval when implemented.

In that case Mitt is a horrible choice.

But just him dissing real Republicans all the time should be enough for us to not vote for him.

Steveangell on August 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

CCRWM on August 1, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Very well said.

Amjean on August 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Wolfen on August 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Take my hand. Together we will internet. . .

Go RBNY on August 1, 2012 at 9:11 PM