Palin on Cheney’s VP comments: You’ve bought the media’s false narrative about me

posted at 7:16 pm on August 1, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, an obligatory rejoinder to Cheney’s dig at her over the weekend. The reference to “misfiring” is, I trust, no accident.

The irony of this flap is that I’m not sure his dig was really aimed at her. Maybe I misunderstood but I didn’t take his comments to be a criticism of Palin the person or the politician, as is typically the case in “lamestream media” coverage. His point, I thought, was broader: If you have just two years of national or gubernatorial experience, then you’re not qualified to be VP. Full stop. I doubt he’d say that outright about Rubio or Christie or Kelly Ayotte, all of whom are in the same boat, as it’d be awkward for an elder statesman to be ruling out candidates who are still in the mix. My sense, though, is that he was trying to say that about them in a backhanded way by using Palin as an example. And why would he do that? Well, possibly because he’s rooting for Bush/Cheney alum Rob Portman. They’re old friends, I take it; Portman, in fact, was tapped to play the role of Joe Lieberman and John Edwards in mock debates with Cheney in 2000 and 2004. He has the most federal experience of all the shortlisters by a wide margin. By dismissing Palin as too green in 2008, Cheney’s framing the VP criteria to his advantage.

Don’t fret for Sarah, though. Given Ted Cruz’s and Deb Fischer’s big wins and the fact that no Republican pol in America is running on Bush’s record, she has more currency on the right than even DC does. Watch to the end to see her frame this, understandably, as an “establishment vs. populist” dispute.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

You’re blowing this way out of proportion…

Take a breath..:)

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM

No, I’m not. Palin is, in part, a cultural warrior. If she starts using low tactics like the Left, she’s moving backwards in terms of isolating them.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Only in a Palin thread could I get flamed for saying something that’s not even critical of Palin. I’m telling you what Cheney was saying, not my personal view. I don’t know if there should be a hard rule about two years’ experience. I liked when Palin was chosen in ’08. She was a shot in the arm.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Though I’m starting to feel like I’m in the bar scene from Goodfellas, you did disrespect her a little bit. By mentioning it you’re giving some credence to Cheney’s notion that the 2 year hard and fast rule should be respected. I mean, if his criteria is wrong, then he might be making a mistake in his judgment of Sarah. If you thought he was dead wrong, you’d write a different post. I just think you’re hiding behind the idea that Cheney’s was just a technical comment or distinction.

Paul-Cincy on August 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM

It’s not a justification. I’m just saying, “This is what I think he was doing.” She has the right to defend her record. Like I said, I thought we owed it to her to post her rebuttal after posting Cheney’s criticism.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Please don’t misunderstand me. I think you are right to do so. In no way shape or form am I criticizing you personally. And my criticism of Dick Cheney goes no farther than “I disagree with his opinion on Sarah Palin.” Not all of Sarah Palin’s supporters are thin-skinned zealots…but some among us are.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Yes, because his name after all, isn’t actually Dick.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM

LOL

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I like Palin, but this:

Seeing as how Dick – excuse me, Vice President Cheney…

…was crass and beneath her.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

This is why I’m glad I don’t have to vote for her. I agree with her on nearly every issue, but hurling that kind of insult makes her look really small and thin-skinned. Fine if you want to hit him back, but you don’t need to make yourself look like a kid in the schoolyard.

The Count on August 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

What in the heII is wrong with you two? the mans name is DICK. She started her rebuttal in the personal, and corrected herself by referring to him in the honorific.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I’m struck by the dichotomy between this and Chick-Fil-A.

Cheney is entitled to his opinion, right or wrong.

Personally, I think he was wrong but I understand what may have been his reasoning.

That being said, Palin was not the mistake on the ticket in ’08.

catmman on August 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Cheney had a purpose and it is not 2012. He was trying to further undermine Palin and make sure she doesn’t become the Republican nominee in 2016 or 2020.

huckleberryfriend on August 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Keeping the spot open for Liz Cheney?

wren on August 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Paul-Cincy on August 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Dittos to Allah’.

listens2glenn on August 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM

What’s the explosive part of that argument that I’m missing?

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM

hahaha Who Me?

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM

You might be right, but McCain had no chance of winning no madder who he picked for VP, so I think VP Cheny should not have used Palin’s experience as a model for his position on Romney’s VP pick. Besides look how much experience Obama had and he was running for the presidency.

I am glad Palin jumped into the wolfs den. She has been working hard and instrumental in showing how we can take back our country from these out of touch liberals.
Sometimes we on the right have a hard time watching each others 9.

plutorocks on August 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I’d vote for Palin but not if Romney is on the ticket.

FloatingRock on August 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Gee, that is hard to believe.

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Well, what I’ve learned in this thread is that Allah is…”brave.” Boy, standards have dropped.

But I’m sure Palin would be happy to hear this angle on Cheney’s comments, and the nuanced theory behind it: that she’s as much a mistake as Rubio or Christie or Kelly Ayotte would be….but not saying it.

Dongemaharu on August 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM

O/T: Very sad to report the untimely death today of rock and roll star Tony Sly of the Bay Area punk band No Use for a Name. Cause unknown/tbd. He was not a druggie or heavy boozer.

Just 41 years old, nicest guy in the world. Great songwriter/guitarist, and an even greater human being/husband/father.

A very big loss for his friends and fans around the world.

He went way way way too f***ing early.

RIP Tony.

Sacramento on August 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Cheney could have made his point without conceding the false narrative or failing to put it in the context of the Democrat Presidential candidate’s far lesser experience.

He chose to publicly align himself with the establishment Republicans who fear and loathe Palin and the reformists she represents. He owns it.

No disrespect to Cheney, who was a great VP. But he is on the wrong side of the fight to fundamentally change the Republican Party.

novaculus on August 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM

She was alluding to the sexual meaning of his first name, just as lefties have for years.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Wife gone for a few days??? A little lonely are you?

This is a new card, instead of the racist, we have the sexual meaning card…she didn’t say it, but I could tell by how she moved her body.

Racist accuser: He didn’t use the words but I could tell by the tone of his voice what he meant.

Good grief…you could tell by the way she moved her body and her voice inflection…here

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Sure. Just like all the Kos kiddies and MSNBC hosts and the rest of the institutional left that “corrected” themselves. Get a grip. Palin made a mistake here. She made a crude remark out of anger. Let’s hope it’s the last.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Wife gone for a few days??? A little lonely are you?

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM

And here’s a shining example of someone who likes what she did.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I like Palin, but this:

Seeing as how Dick – excuse me, Vice President Cheney…
…was crass and beneath her. It’s a sad state of affairs when someone who has been fighting off cheap leftist attacks for years lowers themselves to using those same attacks against another conservative.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Madison Conservative, I think the context is a bit less inflammatory than that one snippet:

VAN SUSTEREN: OK, you raised the name Dick Cheney, so I have to ask you this. He and his daughter don’t agree, Liz Cheney, but Dick Cheney had — said some words that he didn’t think that you were a particularly good choice in 2008. His daughter, I think probably for the first time that I’ve heard, tweeted something to the contrary. She thought that you were.

But your response to Dick Cheney?

PALIN: Well, seeing as how Dick — excuse me, Vice President Cheney never misfires, then evidently, he’s quite convinced that what he had evidently read about me by the lamestream media having been written what I believe is a false narrative over the last four years, evidently, Dick Cheney believed that stuff, and that’s a shame. So he characterized me as being a mistake.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/on-the-record/2012/08/01/palin-fires-back-cheney-mistake-would-have-been-not-answering-call-be-vp#ixzz22LFV3d5I

Or was Greta also being “crass” by using what most folks call him?

cs89 on August 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM

This is a new card, instead of the racist, we have the sexual meaning card…

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Aha! The P E N I S card.

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Mama grizzly’s whining winning.

CorporatePiggy on August 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM

FIFY

Stu Gotts on August 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM

ANOTHER Palin thread. I’m out for the night.

thatsafactjack on August 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Yep. I’m with ya. Tell me,…does this emotional attachment to a politician make you as queasy as it does me?

a capella on August 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Or was Greta also being “crass” by using what most folks call him?

cs89 on August 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Yes, but Mediaite said she was “angry,” so….

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Aha! The P E N I S card.

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Yes, when that left eyebrow is raised…we all know what that means, don’t we??

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM

No, that is your interpretation, and quite frankly, a pathetic one at that. The mans name is Dick, she referred to him by his first name, that is it, nothing more. She corrected herself out of respect for the fact that he is a former Vice President of the United States of America. Nothing more, nothing less.

For you to see it any other way is no reflection on Sarah Palin, it is pure projection on your part.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

She made a crude remark out of anger. Let’s hope it’s the last.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Oh, the irony, the irony…. I love you, btw! :D

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

She was cool, she was calm, and she was collected. Then she slapped the snot out of the old fart. As smart as VP Cheney is, he did make a blunder calling her out on her “lack of experience”. I’m just repeating what some others have already said, she has/had more executive experience than Odumbass and Biteme combined. And after being in office the last 3 1/2 years, do you think he is showing any skills at all about being an executive and running things? Nah, I don’t either.

Mirimichi on August 1, 2012 at 7:58 PM

If that’s all it is too you…why are you posting here? Shame on you.

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I post here because this is supposed to be a conservative site…..with conservative pundits….not pundits who post threads just for the number of “viewed pages”.

Our conservative pundits are supposed to be supporting other conservatives….am I wrong?
To post threads of fellow conservatives just for the “views” instead of the content…like we all know AP does with “Palin threads”….is not only insulting to us, but makes us look like fools.

I’m here to try to fight that impression.

tencole on August 1, 2012 at 7:58 PM

cs89 on August 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Greta called him by his full name. Palin separated his first name, rather distinctly, from the rest of his title. If this were a lefty, you would not question for one moment that it was a foul remark.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Aha! The P E N I S card.

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Yes, when that left eyebrow is raised…we all know what that means, don’t we??

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Hmmmm….I’m stumped. It’s not this, is it? Darn. I didn’t think so.

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Uh, you get flamed about everything… even threads you didn’t write… while you’re on vacation.

Go RBNY on August 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

LOL — So true. Literally.

Axe on August 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

No, that is your interpretation, and quite frankly, a pathetic one at that.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

As pathetic as your wish that you could shoot people on the spot if they’re caught with drugs in their possession?

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Please delete/ignore my link at 7:51. I just discovered that the video contains a bad word in Spanish. Sorry.

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 8:00 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Absolutely not, she called him by his first name and then corrected herself to address him the way an ex-VP is supposed to be addressed.

burrata on August 1, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Oh, the irony, the irony…. I love you, btw! :D

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

The irony is that I’ll be accused of being a Palin hater within the hour. Meh. Not up for it anymore.

Love you, too!

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:00 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

You’re welcome to your opinion. However, you need to get a new mindreading device.

The one you got’s busted…

cs89 on August 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I am past giving the benefit of a doubt to the GOP bigwigs when they take a shot at Palin. It is deliberate and malicious.

It would be one thing if they didn’t pretend to be conservatives and on the same side as the base. I respect the Democrats more because they at least are honest with both their intentions and their vile behavior.

sharrukin on August 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Yes, when that left eyebrow is raised…we all know what that means, don’t we??

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Spock is about to say “fascinating”?

Axe on August 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

If this were coming from a lefty, you wouldn’t be carping about it AT ALL, cause it’s to be expected. Sorry bro. I love ya dearly, but ya done went and pegged my irony gauge.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Spoken like a true doper.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM

And here’s a shining example of someone who likes what she did.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Actually I was posting about your sexual fantasies…the way she moved, the way she looked at you, that glimmer in her eye, the way the words slid off of her tongue, kind of got you going did it?

Why that’s better than the racist card…all those women in politics and on Fox, they all are sublimely enticing you, yeah, just you…your the only one who caught it. The only one, I wonder why that was???

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Oh please, you’re beating this to death….

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM

And Paul, if I’m not qualified, why are you in my threads? Stick to Ed’s.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Hmmm. I thought there was humor in my post, especially as it related to the other posts — cynccook’s that you were going to be flamed, and me adapting the form of your post explaining how the Cheney dis was purely technical –

posted at 7:16 pm on August 1, 2012 by Allahpundit

OK, I’ll flame. If you are an anonymous blogger with no outside identity of any kind, then you’re not qualified to host a mainstream conservative discussion site. Full stop. AllahPundit. If that is indeed your real name.

Paul-Cincy on August 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I guess my current loopy and unserious mood isn’t very welcome in this thread. But I did have a serious point.

Paul-Cincy on August 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Doesn’t every movie with an invisible man end in his losing his mind?

Paul-Cincy on August 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I’m here to try to fight that impression.

tencole on August 1, 2012 at 7:58 PM

What are you talking about? I think that the bloggers here post about things they assume will be of interest to their readership. Personally, I was unaware of Palin’s response to Cheney until I first read it here. The only thing that makes (some of) us look like fools is the inevitable outraged over-reaction to any mention of certain conservatives that is anything less than fawning and worshipful.

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Spock is about to say “fascinating”?

Axe on August 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM

And you know what the word “fascinating” implies…not to be aired on this respectful site.

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Pic of the Day: “Obama Can Kiss My Ass”

Resist We Much on August 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Maddy, what are your thoughts on this particular example of the culture war? I’d genuinely like to know.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Going to try this one more time: I’m not posting this, or anything else, for the page views. FYI, sneaking a peek at our numbers right at this moment, this post is only the fifth-most visited on the front page, which is very poor for a new one. The Jon Lovitz/Dana Carvey has fully twice as many readers on it. I expected all of that to be the case. I posted this because we posted Cheney’s comments on Sunday and wanted readers to see the rebuttal. You just have some sort of grudge against me for not being as much to the right as you’d prefer and this is your way of venting it. That’s fine, but let’s not pretend it’s anything else.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 8:04 PM

However, you need to get a new mindreading device.

The one you got’s busted…

cs89 on August 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Out: gaydar
In: penisdar

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Both Palin and McCain were a mistake in 2008.

Its that simple folks. She wasn’t qualified for VP even though she had more experience than Obama did during that election.

That being said, she STILL isn’t ready to be VP or President.

Conservative Samizdat on August 1, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Paul-Cincy on August 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM

It’s my fault; I was just joking around and he somehow took it as a criticism. See also: my post at 8:03 p.m.

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Oh please, you’re beating this to death….

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Beating? Another sexual comment? How were you sitting when you said that? And just what was your tone of voice?

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 8:04 PM

+1 from Gryph.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Non establishment candidates need not apply.
Never mind Palin fills stadiums better than ANYONE currently in politics and better than Misfire ever did.
From the Administration that never defended itself, always played above it all and handed us Obama after fighting two wars to win the hearts and minds of dark agers comes the put down.
Thanks Dick but your time has passed, our country is on the brink thanks to you and W. Now go find McCain and George and Jeb and wander off to the dog track and commiserate on how it used to be, when taxpayer funds were to be lavished on prescription drug programs for all , wars were fought to win hearts and minds , not to win, govt grew, deficits ballooned and Fanny and Freddie were allowed to bankrupt the country while the DC political class reached across the isle and scratched each others ass.
This Tea Party Patriot says the Establishment needs to sit, shut up and let the newer bolder Tea Party Patriots restore fiscal discipline, destroy crony capitalism, retire entire agencys, departments and the employments of thousands of job killing, income destroying, business bankrupting DC insiders and their insane regulations.
We need to return to our constitutional principles and the task is made larger by the failure of your administration to see the making of a prescription drug entitlement would lead to full on health care entitlement and full on battle with the Marxists.
Had the Muslim uprising been put down hard in Iran and Iraq during your administration we would not now have the Muslim Bruthahood in control of the entire Middle east and on the march against our Israeli friends and Christians worldwide.

ConcealedKerry on August 1, 2012 at 8:06 PM

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Yeah? And? That makes it okay if she does it?

And the “irony” stuff is cute, but irrelevant. It’s not unexpected, though. The same people who are using my personal behavior to justify hers are the same people who declared Cheney a traitor for having the audacity to think that nobody in the world could possibly have been a better VP than Sarah Palin. Folks, I love her too…but come on, already.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Dude, relax, some people just can’t handle any mention of Sarah Palin at all, it’s like Kryptonite to them. It would not matter which of you guys had authored this thread, the accusations would be the same.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM

That’s fine, but let’s not pretend it’s anything else.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 8:04 PM

That’s sweet. You two can kiss and makeup on Friday.

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Love you, too!

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:00 PM

LOL Well, on the bright side I hope that it gratifies SP on some level to know how deeply devoted her supporters are.

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Defend Palin all you want…but she was petty and nasty. Reminds me a little like Obama. Thin skinned and she obviously loves herself and lime light. I once knew girls like her in high school…Palin should look in the mirror, she’s not in high school anymore.

Redford on August 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM

That’s sweet. You two can kiss and makeup on Friday.

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Well, if they do and it doesn’t end up on Instagram I doubt that I will want to go on living.

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Yeah? And? That makes it okay if she does it?

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM

You wouldn’t even begin to know if I was playing devil’s advocate right now, would you?

Sarah Palin: The ultimate political ink blot.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Seriously? Are you seriously trying to say that you don’t post Palin threads because of the number of views it will attract?

I will not insult you by pretending that you actually believe what you just said.

tencole on August 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:04 PM

What non-public figures that don’t represent the Tea Party and the conservative movement do is up to them. I expect better of Palin, because I hold her in high regard.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I had my legs crossed…

Does that mean something?

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

That being said, she STILL isn’t ready to be VP or President.

Conservative Samizdat on August 1, 2012 at 8:05 PM

She’s just about the only one who should be in the White House. We don’t need another progressive like Obama or Romney, nor a ‘compassionate conservative’ like HW Bush or his son. Those sort have done enough damage in the past decades.

sharrukin on August 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

“Seeing as how Dick – excuse me, Vice President Cheney…”

was crass and beneath her.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

MadisonConservative is right to call out the crass, hypocritical and disappointing behavior of Sarah Palin.

Sarah Palin isn’t fit to shine Dick Cheney’s shoes.

bluegill on August 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM

sharrukin on August 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Yup , it’s been a string of negative comments and leaks about Palin from the rino establishment specifically around the coming choice of VP.

Only intended to take shots at her.

the_nile on August 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM

That being said, she STILL isn’t ready to be VP or President.

Conservative Samizdat on August 1, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Hey, Kevin Madden’s in the house…LOL

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 8:11 PM

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

You’re a sly devil, you are.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Sarah Palin isn’t fit to shine Dick Cheney’s shoes.

bluegill on August 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM

She’s as important to the conservative movement as Dick Cheney, and you aren’t fit to be the rag that either of them shine their shoes with, you elitist jerk.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Cheney’s comment had NOTHING to do with Sarah Palin’s credential’s for VP.

They served another purpose which even Allah Pundit recognized, and he is hardly what I would call a ‘Palinista’.

sharrukin on August 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I had my legs crossed…

Does that mean something?

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Maybe.

So, what are you wearing?

Axe on August 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Sarah Palin isn’t fit to shine Dick Cheney’s shoes.

bluegill on August 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Racist and misogynistic, at once.

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Redford on August 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM

It looks like Megan McCain has joined the party…:)

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

So it’s because of your high regard for Palin that you see this as a gaffe on her part? That you see her as a representative of an organization that has no singular leadership or representatives? I personally think it’s much ado about nothing, but then again, I’ve always been a plain language kind of guy.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM

sharrukin on August 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM

That’s why as much as I am grateful to have Portman for a Senator, I hope he’s not the one on the ticket with Romney this year. I can already hear the attack ads in my head….

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I had my legs crossed…

Does that mean something?

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Sharon, when is your next movie?

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM

a capella on August 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I know, right? These Cheney supporters will stick up for him on anything.

Pic of the Day: “Obama Can Kiss My Ass”

Resist We Much on August 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM

That is awesome. It could really snowball into something huge if more businesses start doing that. Great campaign ads too.

Dongemaharu on August 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Only intended to take shots at her.

the_nile on August 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM

That should at least give us an idea about what sort of VP Romney has chosen.

sharrukin on August 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I expect better of Palin, because I hold her in high regard.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Sarah makes sexual comments that really disappoint me. Like of a writer who did a hit piece on her, she said he (or his writing) was limp and impotent. Clear sexual reference. I figure it’s the equivalent of a guy really cussing someone out. It’s a character flaw. It sure doesn’t reflect well on her. But nobody’s perfect.

Paul-Cincy on August 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Maybe.

So, what are you wearing?

Axe on August 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Shorts..:)

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

The irony of this flap is that I’m not sure his dig was really aimed at her.

A man of his background who is sharp and no idiot – of course he knew what he was saying and how it would be taken.

Now who is was meant to hit or make a point with is another question and that would be interesting to know.

kim roy on August 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM

They will and the left won’t even bat an eyelash about the hypocrisy regarding Obama’s massive additions to the debt.

sharrukin on August 1, 2012 at 8:17 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Who else could have beaten Obama and the media? Name?

Had Mccain had a real campaign team they would have won.

the_nile on August 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM

“Seeing as how Dick – excuse me, Vice President Cheney…”

was crass and beneath her.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Sarah Palin isn’t fit to shine Dick Cheney’s shoes.

bluegill on August 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM

While I agree with MadCon that the comment was beneath Sarah, I also agree that bluegill isn’t fit to lick the floor where Sarah has walked.

Bitter Clinger on August 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Yes, I see it as a gaffe on her part. Do I imagine that she probably engages in that kind of innuendo privately? Sure, we all do. However, the people who usually engage in that kind of passive-aggressive s**t publicly are lefties like Obama, and we rightly knock them for doing so.

And come on with the “no leadership” stuff. Yes, it’s primarily grassroots, but there are people who the majority look to as prime representatives, whether it be Allen West, Jim DeMint, or Sarah Palin. Sarah Palin’s a plain language gal, too…but that is a mischievous wink she carries in a concealed holster.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM

His point, I thought, was broadermisguided or just plain dumb

I’m a big Cheney fan but he flat out screwed up. If he meant what allah assumes he meant then his response should have been what his daughter said. He flat out screwed up. He has been on the receiving end of the nasty leftist media, what was he thinking when he gave them ammunition? He flat out screwed up and has no excuse.

peacenprosperity on August 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Despite looking better in a tank top, Palin’s dearth of experience is obvious compared to Darth Cheney.

Seriously.

CorporatePiggy on August 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Oh FFS of course it is. He spent eight years as VP. He has more experience than Romney, Biden and Obama. Too bad he’s not running.

What’s your point except to look silly?

kim roy on August 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Who else could have beaten Obama and the media? Name?

Had Mccain had a real campaign team they would have won.

the_nile on August 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Probably nobody. That doesn’t mean she was the best choice.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM

That being said, she STILL isn’t ready to be VP or President.

Conservative Samizdat on August 1, 2012 at 8:05 PM

This is true. Is she right on many issues? Yes. Is she often a motivational and sometimes sympathetic person? Absolutely.

But she lacks the experience and hasn’t demonstrated the competence necessary to be considered qualified for VP or President.

Quit giving Sarah Palin a large amount of credit for Ted Cruz’s victory. She was just ONE of MANY who worked for Ted’s victory and who endorsed him. The problem with Sarah Palin, who resigned in disgrace as governor before completing even a single term, is that she isn’t taken seriously by most voters. She’s more of a celebrity or untested novelty politician than someone we would trust in a position of immense power. Unfortunately for her, her routine is wearing a bit thin among everyone but the most diehard groupies.

bluegill on August 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I didn’t see the whole clip, but did SP address Liz Cheney’s twitter comment at all? Because there’s no doubting the truth of that and it must have been gratifying to SP to read it or hear about it.

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Palin is an admirable person but a lousy politician and a hothead. That she didn’t mean to insult VP Cheney with the way she said “Dick” is about as believable as when Obama said “teabaggers” and tried to pass it off as an innocent mistake.

The Count on August 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Some will love her for it. Others will hate her for it. Many like myself fall somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. On this particular matter, you and I have a difference of opinion. So be it.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Cheney’s comments, on a superficial level, are about her qualificiations. I don’t agree that you need a lot of national experience to be VICE President(provided, of course, that the President and his staff are willing to expose the VP to the information and situations that would help him/her become prepared), but it is a defensible position to hold.

But, I have serious heartburn about HOW Cheney chose to express his opinion — he could have just said that he thought a VP needed more national experience than she had and left it at that. But, “seriously mis-handled” and “a mistake” are not neutral statements. Cheney is neither naive nor stupid. He knew how those phrases would be reported and perceived. My opinion is that he wanted to express his deeper feelings while being able to claim that all he was doing was commenting on her experience. In my opinion, it was a gutless tactic. I would have expected better from him.

SCSoxFan on August 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Yes, of course. He did say that she shouldn’t have been chosen, but he didn’t blame it on some personal attribution. It was purely a question of experience. I think he was playing an angle for Portman here.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM

But that’s been the motivation of RINO attacks on Palin all along; they want their own people in power not people like Palin, and since she was so popular they had to destroy her so they ganged up with the left to attack her.

FloatingRock on August 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Which gives people who believe that another example. Cheney knew what he was doing. Why did he do it? It was gratuitous otherwise and Cheney is not someone who behaves “gratuitously”.

kim roy on August 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Paul-Cincy on August 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Fully agreed. This particular instance doesn’t make me think less of her, any more than Cheney telling Leahy to f**k off. Both instances make me say “hey, they’re human”.

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t call those on our side out for employing those tactics at the time. It’s not a big deal. If she makes it a habit, though…then I’ll be disappointed.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Rush:

“Pure and Simple. Sarah Palin Was Not The Mistake On That Ticket.”
This entry was posted on August 1, 2012 at 5:01 pm.
*****************************************************

RUSH: And we all know that that campaign would have had zilch, zero, nada energy and wouldn’t have had anywhere near the chance it had were it not for Palin. No question about it. The mistake on that ticket was not Palin. Pure and simple. Sarah Palin was not the mistake on that ticket.

============================

Palin Wasn’t the Mistake on That Ticket
August 01, 2012

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Now, last Sunday on this week, Jonathan Karl interviewed Dick Cheney, and this is the sound bite where Cheney says that picking Sarah Palin was a mistake. And this was a toughie. It’s not a defensible comment. I wouldn’t even try. The thing to note about this is that shortly after this, Liz Cheney sent out the following tweet. “Rarely do I disagree with the best VP ever, but Sarah Palin is more qualified than Obama and Biden combined. I have huge respect for all she’s done for the GOP.” So Liz Cheney tweeted that. That didn’t get a lot of coverage, either, but she tweeted it three or four hours, later that afternoon on Sunday.
(More…)
============

Transcript:

canopfor on August 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM

peacenprosperity on August 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Either Cheney meant to raise some important points about Obama and he just stepped on his … umm you know… by giving the media ammo with a Palin slam, or he meant to fire a salvo in the Tea Party/ GOP Civil War.

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM

peacenprosperity on August 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I agree. There was absolutely no reason for him to be critical in that regard, even though the criticism was aimed more at the McCain team than at SP. He could have easily discussed the current election and his hopes for the VP pick in a different part of the interview.

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM

bluegill on August 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Yes, we know how much you hate that Sarah Palin is far more popular than you could ever hope to be. Your jealousy is unbecoming.

Bitter Clinger on August 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM