posted at 7:16 pm on August 1, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, an obligatory rejoinder to Cheney’s dig at her over the weekend. The reference to “misfiring” is, I trust, no accident.

The irony of this flap is that I’m not sure his dig was really aimed at her. Maybe I misunderstood but I didn’t take his comments to be a criticism of Palin the person or the politician, as is typically the case in “lamestream media” coverage. His point, I thought, was broader: If you have just two years of national or gubernatorial experience, then you’re not qualified to be VP. Full stop. I doubt he’d say that outright about Rubio or Christie or Kelly Ayotte, all of whom are in the same boat, as it’d be awkward for an elder statesman to be ruling out candidates who are still in the mix. My sense, though, is that he was trying to say that about them in a backhanded way by using Palin as an example. And why would he do that? Well, possibly because he’s rooting for Bush/Cheney alum Rob Portman. They’re old friends, I take it; Portman, in fact, was tapped to play the role of Joe Lieberman and John Edwards in mock debates with Cheney in 2000 and 2004. He has the most federal experience of all the shortlisters by a wide margin. By dismissing Palin as too green in 2008, Cheney’s framing the VP criteria to his advantage.

Don’t fret for Sarah, though. Given Ted Cruz’s and Deb Fischer’s big wins and the fact that no Republican pol in America is running on Bush’s record, she has more currency on the right than even DC does. Watch to the end to see her frame this, understandably, as an “establishment vs. populist” dispute.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Meh. Just a popcorn break for libs.

aunursa on August 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM

2000 comments or bust.

Mama grizzly’s whining.

CorporatePiggy on August 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Oooh….Allah, you are so going to be flamed over this. You are a brave, brave man.

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Misfiring D1ck …ouchhhh

burrata on August 1, 2012 at 7:20 PM

So this had not been beaten to death yesterday?

bayview on August 1, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Alas, it is this chumminess with the ‘old guard’ that is not exactly designed to endear him to the TPUSA among others. I love Portman, I’ve volunteered for him, I’ve donated to him, but I just don’t think he’s the absolute best Romney can do. That being said, I will crawl on broken-glass sprinkled with rock salt to vote for him if he’s on the ticket in November.

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Can’t believe I’m gonna miss this one. Crap!

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I like Palin, but this:

Seeing as how Dick – excuse me, Vice President Cheney…

…was crass and beneath her. It’s a sad state of affairs when someone who has been fighting off cheap leftist attacks for years lowers themselves to using those same attacks against another conservative.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

She probably sent him a gift basket and a thank-you card for getting her name back into the headlines for a few days.

Armin Tamzarian on August 1, 2012 at 7:23 PM

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 7:19 PM | Delete | Delete and Ban

Why? Did I mischaracterize his point? That’s what he was saying. Go watch the ABC interview.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Wow…. what a freak.

lexhamfox on August 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Despite looking better in a tank top, Palin’s dearth of experience is obvious compared to Darth Cheney.

Seriously.

CorporatePiggy on August 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Boy oh boy AP….you’re really reaching this time. No wonder I have little respect for you.

tencole on August 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM

It’s not a dig at her intelligence. She obviously didn’t know how badly she’d get hammered, and she got blindsided. She didn’t understand how despicable the Washington press was. She knows now, but she obviously didn’t know back in the Fall of 2008.

RBMN on August 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM

That “false narrative” about wanting some form of amnesty for illegals or the “false narrative” about how the debt ceiling deal was a win for conservatism in the long run because it changed the debate?

Her judgment is fundamentally flawed even before the 8 years she’ll need to grow into the job. Still, she’s better than 75% of Republicans.

elfman on August 1, 2012 at 7:26 PM

tencole on August 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Well, thanks for the page views.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:27 PM

His motives may be as you describe them, but it most certainly was a criticism of Palin regardless of why he took the shot.

I wonder what a hunting trip with these two be like?

sharrukin on August 1, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Sorry, Palin, but the country club elitists like Cheney and Romney and their ilk have been assisting the left’s efforts to destroy you ever since McCain picked you for VP. The Romney supporters and other RINO’s here have treated Palin as viciously as the left over the years.

FloatingRock on August 1, 2012 at 7:27 PM

My sense, though, is that he was trying to say that about [Christie, Rubio and Ayotte] in a backhanded way by using Palin as an example…possibly because he’s rooting for Bush/Cheney alum Rob Portman.

This is where I employ Occam’s Razor. Sometimes, the simplest explanation is the correct one. This was a (deserved) slap at Sarah Palin’s dearth of qualifications. Straight up.

Hey, is this the second day in a row that she has tried to beat this back? Or are we on the third day, already?

rogaineguy on August 1, 2012 at 7:28 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Once the 11th commandment is broken, the victim should not be restrained in any way . Go for it Sarah !

burrata on August 1, 2012 at 7:28 PM

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 7:19 PM

OK, I’ll flame. If you are an anonymous blogger with no outside identity of any kind, then you’re not qualified to host a mainstream conservative discussion site. Full stop. AllahPundit. If that is indeed your real name.

Paul-Cincy on August 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM

If Palin wasn’t qualified with two years as Governor, what does that say about Obama?

Palin had more executive experience than those two clowns combined.

cat_owner on August 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Yes, of course. He did say that she shouldn’t have been chosen, but he didn’t blame it on some personal attribution. It was purely a question of experience. I think he was playing an angle for Portman here.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM

…Al Gore and Joe Biteme have soooooo much executive experience! I saw it in their emails!/

KOOLAID2 on August 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Less than a hundred days out of the most important election in this Country…

… maybe the former Vice President should remember what’s at stake and fire all his ammo at Pantload instead.

Seven Percent Solution on August 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

elfman on August 1, 2012 at 7:26 PM

You apparently don’t understand the concept of the VP candidate to espouse the policy positions of the POTUS candidate.

NoNails on August 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

If you’re read all the political blogs today regarding this story, Cheney is getting hit like a halibut from Palin’s nightstick..:)

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Look at Palin’s convention speech. She brought the house down. And then immediately the lib media went about working night and day to destroy her. But no one is better and more like Reagan himself in forcefully and effectively and unabashedly bringing the simple conservative to the everyday joes like me. That’s why i wish she was VP. I wish she was P, actually.

anotherJoe on August 1, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I saw the interview and I think you make a good point about his oblique reference to someone more seasoned and maybe with more credentials, it’s just that I’ve seen this movie before and you, my friend, will be flamed, not unlike a delicious chargrilled chicken sandwich from Chick-fil-A. But of course you knew this already; that’s what makes you brave.

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Paul-Cincy on August 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Only in a Palin thread could I get flamed for saying something that’s not even critical of Palin. I’m telling you what Cheney was saying, not my personal view. I don’t know if there should be a hard rule about two years’ experience. I liked when Palin was chosen in ’08. She was a shot in the arm.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM

CorporatePiggy on August 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM

To be fair, that’s a pretty high standard to set, even for Veep.

JohnGalt23 on August 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM

As always, Love me some Sarah Palin. She’s smart, and she has the right ideals. She would make a great president.

The Rogue Tomato on August 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Darn, correction: no one is better and more like Reagan himself in forcefully and effectively and unabashedly bringing the simple conservative message to the everyday joes like me.

anotherJoe on August 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Her immediate response, which was partly in humor and a warm up for the body of her reply, was, yes, a little flippant and below the belt. But she said it all with a smile, and, said at least twice afterwards something to the effect that Cheney usually gets it right.

But for a fellow Repub to attack her entire raison d’etre for being in the public spotlight, her nomination in 2008, is as she said, an attack on her, not a fine point of VP qualifications. Liz Cheney was right; Dick Cheney was wrong.

Paul-Cincy on August 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I wish Palin was competing in the Olympics.

portlandon on August 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

And Paul, if I’m not qualified, why are you in my threads? Stick to Ed’s.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

All this attention toward someone who is supposed to be irrelevant.

Ask Dewhurst is she’s irrelevant.

kingsjester on August 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Y

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM

As compared with most VP candidates, the only lack of experience she had was swimming in the cesspool of D.C.

NoNails on August 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

The Palin thread wars are running on 4 years.

Will it run longer than WWII?

Vietnam?

portlandon on August 1, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I wonder what a hunting trip with these two be like?

sharrukin

Depends. Would Palin quit once they got half way there?

/sarc

xblade on August 1, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM

You don’t think the Cruz endorsement had anything to do with it?

Dick Cheney endorsed Dewhurst along with many other heavy hitters in the GOP, and he must have known how it was going to turn out when he made that comment.

sharrukin on August 1, 2012 at 7:36 PM

AP: I love it when you fan those flames and then act all indignant. It is classic. Happy Page Views…LOL.

d1carter on August 1, 2012 at 7:36 PM

rogaineguy on August 1, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Hey Sparky, if you read the Daily Caller, Real Clear Politics, Breitbart, Right Scoop, and the rest of the political blogs, Cheney is get spanked like a rented mule. and to add insult to injury, Ted Cruz spanked Cheney’s choice by over 13 points.

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 7:36 PM

One should be careful about baiting Mama Grizzlies especially if their shotgun skills are better than yours.

JimK on August 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM

You don’t think the Cruz endorsement had anything to do with it?

Could be. Fair point.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM

O

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Actually, it’s your opinion of what Cheney was saying, right? BTW, I don’t have a problem with you stating your theory. The fact that Liz Cheney went on record to disagree with her Dad speaks much more than anything any of us say about it.

NoNails on August 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Come on, allahpundit. Of course it was a direct dig at Palin.

Otherwise, why would his own daughter respond publicly with:

Rarely do I disagree with best VP ever but @SarahPalinUSA more qualified than Obama and Biden combined. Huge respect 4 all she’s done 4 GOP.

Gimme a break…

cs89 on August 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Well, thanks for the page views.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Do those really matter?

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Well, thanks for the page views.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I guess that’s all that’s important to you. Shame on you.

tencole on August 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM

NoNails on August 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

and we know how the beltway types just love normal American people who did not go to Harvard or Yale !

burrata on August 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM

NoNails on August 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Indeed. Assuming that AP was right, and the charitable explanation for Cheney’s remark is the right one, “She didn’t serve long enough as governor” is a pretty weak-tea argument to me in describing why Palin supposedly isn’t ready to assume the presidency. Can you imagine what a SCOAMF McLame’s entire campaign would have been without her?

Waiting for someone to tell me it would have been a better campaign without her in 5…

4…

3…

2…

1…

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM

And yet when Barack Obama announced he was running for President on February 10, 2007 after only serving in the U.S. Senate since January 2005, the Democrats thought he was absolutely ready to be President.

Sarah Palin’s actual executive experience of being a Governor is worth far more that being one of 100 votes in the U.S. Senate.

wren on August 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM

d1carter on August 1, 2012 at 7:36 PM

How did I fan them, d? Identify the “controversial” part of my post that’s going to generate tons of clicks (Fwiw, this post isn’t getting many clicks compared to others on our front page.) To recap: I thought Cheney’s criticism of her was based on lack of experience, not on her personal attributes, and that it was aimed at tilting the playing field towards Portman. What’s the explosive part of that argument that I’m missing?

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM

But that’s been the motivation of RINO attacks on Palin all along; they want their own people in power not people like Palin, and since she was so popular they had to destroy her so they ganged up with the left to attack her.

FloatingRock on August 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I like Palin very much. Of the ticket on which she was running, she was the better half of the pair. And yes, she is better with her two years’ experience as Alaska governor than the community organizer sitting right now in our White House.

That said, Cheney may well have been right in his commentary, but Sarah would still be VP if McCain had won. McCain is still alive, after all. So any ‘concerns’ about Sarah being fit for the top slot would still be largely moot. Besides, had McCain won, Sarah would have 3-1/2 years’ experience by now in Washington.

Personally, I don’t think Sarah belongs in office, because her real niche is being realized: she is a motivator for our side, the kind of person we need more and above any politician. By nature, we Americans distrust politicians. Sarah, effectively no longer being one, is trusted and needed here among the grassroots; she isn’t tainted, if you will, by Beltway politics and suspect the way McCain is suspect.

I don’t think Cheney was out of line in his assessment. I can’t say he is right or if he is wrong. But I know Sarah Palin is doing more for America than she might otherwise have if constrained by public office.

There is a poem I recall from college, one passage sticking much of my life:

“The lion is the king of beasts.
There are more lions in cages
Than out of them.
If offered a crown,
Refuse.”

Liam on August 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM

The Palin thread wars are running on 4 years.

Will it run longer than WWII?

Vietnam?

portlandon on August 1, 2012 at 7:34 PM

She is page-hit magic fairy dust.

Unfortunately some people seem to think it is amusing to insult the golden eskimo and others think it is amusing to portray her as a cross between Winston Churchill and Ulysses S Grant.

More measured members of this site sit above it all and frown on all this.

CorporatePiggy on August 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I liked when Palin was chosen in ’08. She was a shot in the arm.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM

And yet, within months, you were flogging every negative comment you could find in post after post…

cs89 on August 1, 2012 at 7:40 PM

There are some who believe that Cheney’s comments were designed to cause disunity with in the GOP. These people believe the Bushies (especially Old Lady Bush) really don’t want Romney to win because it would pretty much kill Jeb’s chances of continuing the Bush Dynasty. Jeb will be 67 in 2020.

bw222 on August 1, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I guess that’s all that’s important to you. Shame on you.

tencole on August 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM

No, it’s not what’s important to me. I write posts all the time that don’t get many page views, and I know they won’t in advance. This is one of them. Just thought she deserved to have her rebuttal posted since we posted Cheney’s original comments.

My point was, if you respect me so little, don’t read my posts. You’re just trolling.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:40 PM

burrata on August 1, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Really? Cheney used a sexual euphemism joke against Palin? No. He thought she was the wrong choice for the 2008 ticket. The fact that you and so many others believe that such a statement is a gross personal attack against Palin’s character builds the “Palinista” stereotype, and that’s coming from someone considered a “Palinista” by dips**t elitists like bluegill or whatever their name is.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Do those really matter?

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM

You need to buy ‘New Media for Dummies’.

CorporatePiggy on August 1, 2012 at 7:40 PM

FloatingRock on August 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Fair point.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I wonder what a hunting trip with these two be like?

sharrukin on August 1, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Like this (imagine the ecstacy in the Libtard Universe if such a thing would really come to pass.) Cheney would fill the role of the Cossack…

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I used to really like her, but pfft, she blew it.

Cheney should go the Bush route. If he’s gonna say something, criticize Obama.

Who needs this.

B Man on August 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

tencole on August 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Well, thanks for the page views.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Must me true what they say about being over the target. I don’t care how you feel about this woman. That was good stuff right there. Dick!!!

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Cheney had a purpose and it is not 2012. He was trying to further undermine Palin and make sure she doesn’t become the Republican nominee in 2016 or 2020.

huckleberryfriend on August 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

It is rino republicans (and their dem friends, you know, the
ones they golf and dine out with) versus the conservatives.

Cruz election was representative of this – Cheney/Rino tries to influence the election by calling out Palin – conservatism won and by association so did
Palin. BTW, this has happened before with the rinos one one side
and Palin and conservatives on the other. Thus far she is winning.

Cheney and the rino/libs lost.

It will happen again.

And next time you will probably come up with the same stupid
statement because I don’t think you really believe that, you just
like to drum up controversy resulting in more postings. Which is
your job and you do it well!

Amjean on August 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

ANOTHER Palin thread. I’m out for the night.

thatsafactjack on August 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I guess that’s all that’s important to you. Shame on you.

tencole on August 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM

If that’s all it is too you…why are you posting here? Shame on you.

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I liked when Palin was chosen in ’08. She was a shot in the arm.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I think Peggy Noonan said the same thing and Nicolle Wallace and and Mark McKinnon … and ….

bw222 on August 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I thought Cheney’s criticism of her was based on lack of experience

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Well if Palin’s 2 years isn’t as good as Romney’s 4 years then Romney’s 4 isn’t half as good as Gary Johnson’s 8. If Cheney is looking for the most experience nominee he should support Gary Johnson.

FloatingRock on August 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I don’t normally make things personal around here where the hosts are concerned, but there is no explosive part of that argument. While I don’t think that refighting 2008′s battle is doing Portman any favors at all, that could very well have been what was going through Dick Cheney’s mind. Or not. Either way, he’s a member of the good ole boys’ club, and Palin has a history of dismantling good ole boys’ clubs up in Alaska. Any attempt to justify what some perceive — rightly or wrongly — as ill treatment of Palin is going to ruffle some feathers.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Uh, you get flamed about everything… even threads you didn’t write… while you’re on vacation.

Go RBNY on August 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I see Cruz oowee baby

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

It wasnt’ a direct attack on Palin, but still a diss…and since Palin was no big fan of Bush, seeing how Bush tried to take her out when she cleaned up the Republican mess in Alaska, I can see the loyalty Cheney has for Bush…but he was wrong, as his daughter pointed out.

If she was so “unprepared”, and she took on the establishment and won, what does that make them?

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

AP…this part…”Palin on Cheney’s VP comments: You’ve bought the media’s false narrative about me”…LOL.

d1carter on August 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

What’s the explosive part of that argument that I’m missing?

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM

You’re joking, right?

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Paul-Cincy on August 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Oh, okay. So we can now employ gutter tactics of the Left as long as it’s said with a smile. Thanks for the update, racist. :)

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

ANOTHER Palin thread. I’m out for the night.

thatsafactjack on August 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Bummer. Maybe poolside a bit later? ; )

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Allah, posters go to bed thinking of what they thought you were going to but never did post…or something.

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

This is an indirect smack at the Tea Party.

The old men GOP establishment just cannot stand them.

Palin is the Queen of the Tea Party.

Sad day for Cheney. I’m on Palin’s side on this one.

so-notbuyingit on August 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Really? Cheney used a sexual euphemism joke against Palin? No.
MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Neither did Palin

burrata on August 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Sarah Palin is the only politician which can influence a national election. Can:

Jed Bush do it? Answer, nope!
Marco Rubio do it? Answer, nope!
John McCain do it? Answer, nope!
John Bohner do it? Answer, nope!
Daddy Bush do it? Answer, nope!
Rob Portman do it? Answer, nope!
Crispy Cream Christie do it? Answer, nope!

Will someone give a plausible reason why Palin has gravitas?

jjnco73 on August 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I like Palin, but this:

Seeing as how Dick – excuse me, Vice President Cheney…

…was crass and beneath her.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

This is why I’m glad I don’t have to vote for her. I agree with her on nearly every issue, but hurling that kind of insult makes her look really small and thin-skinned. Fine if you want to hit him back, but you don’t need to make yourself look like a kid in the schoolyard.

The Count on August 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I said it’s weak tea. I didn’t say I think any less of him for it. Cheney was expressing his opinion, and I have absolutely no problem with that. I don’t find it terribly galling or even all that controversial. I just happen to disagree.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

You’re joking, right?

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Meaning you don’t know either…

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Romney could WIN this election instantly by choosing PALIN as his VP.

Romney / PALIN 2012!

Pork-Chop on August 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM

It’s not a justification. I’m just saying, “This is what I think he was doing.” She has the right to defend her record. Like I said, I thought we owed it to her to post her rebuttal after posting Cheney’s criticism.

Go RBNY on August 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Hahahah. Touche.

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Yes, because his name after all, isn’t actually Dick.

SWalker on August 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Will someone give a plausible reason why Palin has gravitas?

jjnco73 on August 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Her public record, along with 30,000 pages of private and public emails, say that WYSIWYG. In this day and age, that’s enough.

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Even you don’t believe that, allahpundit…

Tell you what- I’ll check back later, & if this isn’t at least on comment page 4 by midnight, I’ll be sure to apologize for doubting your veracity.

If it’s on comment page 4+… well, I’ll just assume you’re continuing to blow smoke, & poking pro-Palin commenters with a stick to ratchet up page views a la allahpundit 2009, 2010, 2011….

cs89 on August 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Cheney is neither dumb, nor naive nor inexperienced in D.C. politics and media spin.

He is smart enough to have made his point without mentioning SP. He’s also smart enough to know exactly what would happen with his words.

So whatever other points he may have been trying to make, such as helping Portman, he also made the decision to try to further disqualify and pile on SP. It was unnecessary and ungracious.

Why did he do it? Well, what would be the political effect of undercutting SP’s credibility? For one thing, it would work toward diminishing her ability to be of assistance to upstart GOP conservative candidates.

Besides that, considering human nature, I’m convinced there is a river of jealousy and envy a mile wide and a mile deep among many politicians for SP’s speaking ability, and that she continues to be recognized as a leader after the GOP, the Dems and the media have hundreds of times done their wishcasting that she’s over and done.

INC on August 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Neither did Palin

burrata on August 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

You’re being either obtuse or dishonest. Watch the video, listen to the inflection, watch her body language. She was alluding to the sexual meaning of his first name, just as lefties have for years.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Just to be clear….its not the fact that the thread is about Palin that I mind… its the attendant mayhem watching people who often agree on just about everything else rip into one another on this single issue. It takes a couple of days for people to start to let it go and I’d just as soon sit it all out this time.

thatsafactjack on August 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

You’re blowing this way out of proportion…

Take a breath..:)

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Will someone give a plausible reason why Palin has gravitas?

jjnco73 on August 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Same reason as Rush…she connects with people, and if you listen, and not close your mind, she basically does what Rush does. She places what we believe, the majority of conservatives believe, on a national stage. She has the stage, we don’t.
She wants smaller government, she wants gov to be honest, reduce taxes, open up energy exploration…what does she stand for that you don’t?

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM

It may be weak tea to you, but it’s coming from the last conservative guy to hold the position she was running for. If we can’t respect his opinion of Palin, then sorry, you’ve declared Palin out of bounds of criticism, and that’s cultist behavior.MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Ding! Ding! Good answer!

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM

gryphon202 on August 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Fair enough.

MadisonConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Romney could WIN this election instantly by choosing PALIN as his VP.

Romney / PALIN 2012!

Pork-Chop on August 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I’d vote for Palin but not if Romney is on the ticket.

FloatingRock on August 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM