Palin on Cheney’s VP comments: You’ve bought the media’s false narrative about me

posted at 7:16 pm on August 1, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, an obligatory rejoinder to Cheney’s dig at her over the weekend. The reference to “misfiring” is, I trust, no accident.

The irony of this flap is that I’m not sure his dig was really aimed at her. Maybe I misunderstood but I didn’t take his comments to be a criticism of Palin the person or the politician, as is typically the case in “lamestream media” coverage. His point, I thought, was broader: If you have just two years of national or gubernatorial experience, then you’re not qualified to be VP. Full stop. I doubt he’d say that outright about Rubio or Christie or Kelly Ayotte, all of whom are in the same boat, as it’d be awkward for an elder statesman to be ruling out candidates who are still in the mix. My sense, though, is that he was trying to say that about them in a backhanded way by using Palin as an example. And why would he do that? Well, possibly because he’s rooting for Bush/Cheney alum Rob Portman. They’re old friends, I take it; Portman, in fact, was tapped to play the role of Joe Lieberman and John Edwards in mock debates with Cheney in 2000 and 2004. He has the most federal experience of all the shortlisters by a wide margin. By dismissing Palin as too green in 2008, Cheney’s framing the VP criteria to his advantage.

Don’t fret for Sarah, though. Given Ted Cruz’s and Deb Fischer’s big wins and the fact that no Republican pol in America is running on Bush’s record, she has more currency on the right than even DC does. Watch to the end to see her frame this, understandably, as an “establishment vs. populist” dispute.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Oh, Buy Danish for what its worth, I think you may want to talk to this guy, Steveangell. Trust me on this. You’ll quickly realize why. ; )

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 10:29 PM

All too familiar with Steveangell. It’s blah blah blah blah blah 24/7.

Buy Danish on August 1, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Cheney did not call Palin a mistake; he called the choice of her for VP a mistake. Since Palin did not choose herself, the criticism is not of her. Mr. Arkadin on August 1, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Yes, but the media doesn’t always give exact quotes. Cheney knows that. So using the word mistake allows the media to take advantage of that word.

goes out of his way in the interview to speak well of her. Mr. Arkadin on August 1, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Wow, really out of his way. “I like Governor Palin. I’ve met her. I know her. She’s an attractive candidate.” Guess what, I could say the exact same things about my beautiful neighbor Jessica if she decided to run for VP. The exact same thing! Thats not exactly going out of his way to speak well of her. He could have said she had the highest job approval rating of any Governor in the country, then I would have cut him some slack. Instead he used the word attractive. He knew exactly what he was saying.

KMav on August 1, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Palin acts like a child when she’s mad.

Rusty Allen on August 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Rusty Allen on August 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Who was it that VP Cheney said FU to on the Senate floor? People get angry, big deal.

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Ha! Missed this conspiracy from Fallon’s website:

Czar No. 1023 – No Taxes says:
July 31, 2012, 1:24 am at 1:24 am

You missed the background on Cheney’s slam.

(1) Steve Schmidt, McCain campaign manager and lead weasel, worked for Dick before McCain.

(2) Cheney has been a outspoken advocate for gay marriage and was probably upset that Sarah and Todd promoted Chic-Fil-A.

Fallon says:
July 31, 2012, 7:02 am at 7:02 am

No Taxes, Arlen is giving a very thorough political and historical background on Cheney and his ilk.You are providing relatively new information, though, I did not know Cheney may have sent Schmidt to McCain and Romney to poison the well to stop any (pro-sovereignty, nontreacherous) conservatives from emerging. Putting both together, Cheney’s remarks are not all that shocking or remarkable.

Buy Danish on August 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Rusty is rusty with his thinking…:)

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Let’s see…..

Sarah Palin’s approval ratings when she left office were at
what percentage?

And The “Dick” Cheney’s approval ratings when he left office
were at what percentage?

Amjean on August 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM

It’s a reach, but not much more than this bunch of bunkum he said the following spring;

Schmidt, the father of hundreds of attacks on Obama, spoke of the president’s political skills with unabashed admiration.

“This was, in my view, the unfinished Bobby Kennedy campaign – the idealism, the passion, the inspiration he gave to people, it was organic and it was real and it wasn’t manufactured at a tactical level in the campaign.”

narciso on August 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 10:41 PM

No, I just have an opinion that differs from your’s, you insufferable fan-boy.

Rusty Allen on August 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Buy Danish on August 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I can honestly say, I have not kept one of your posts, not one. You mean that little to me. I guess I should feel flattered that you keep mine but it’s kinda creepy, too.

So, are you going to Florida for the convention?

Fallon on August 1, 2012 at 10:45 PM

That was from this piece, where he ended up teaching a course on successful campaigns, with Axelrod’s protege Plouffe.

narciso on August 1, 2012 at 10:45 PM

idesign on August 1, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I guess consistency is overrated. I thought VP Cheney was awesome on the floor of the Senate and I think Gov. Palin’s annoyance and getting jabbed from her own side is understandable. Especially for no apparent good reason.

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2012 at 10:48 PM

So, are you going to Florida for the convention?

Fallon on August 1, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Er, that comment came from the website you sent me to tonight. It was a comment you made there, not a Hot Air comment. Sorry you find that “creepy” but not that creepy website you recommend. As for Florida. No, I’m not. Why do you ask?

Buy Danish on August 1, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I am on record as thinking this was a calculated statement. I couldn’t figure out the reason since it seemed unnecessary at the time. Just an opinion, something everyone has.

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I think that was stated above.

This is most likely to defend the person Mitt has chosen to be VP. That person will not be Conservative so have to diss McCain for picking a conservative and make out like that was a big mistake. Many of the other conservatives are weak in experience as well if you count it the stupid way Cheny did. I mean after all when was the last time a VP had to step up. 1965 if I remember. It is a remote chance but a successful Governor probably has the necessary experience to do it.

But this was meant to hurt Sarah Pallin. These neocons have done every thing possible to damage the Tea Party. I believe Mitt is a big part of their strategy to destroy the Tea Party. I guarantee they have one. The Tea Party is their sworn enemy it is clear by now.

Steveangell on August 1, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Steveangell on August 1, 2012 at 10:50 PM

You have quite the imagination, I’ll give you that.

changer1701 on August 1, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Steveangell on August 1, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I’m not going to worry about it, as a fan of Liz Cheney, her opinion and reaction is the one I appreciated. I like her future, she’s smart.

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Why do you ask?

Buy Danish on August 1, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Just takin’ Bmore’s tact and being neighborly. Too bad you won’t be at the convention. It seems like you would have really enjoyed seeing Romney nominated.

Fallon on August 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I just wish that future was NOW.

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM

But that’s been the motivation of RINO attacks on Palin all along; they want their own people in power not people like Palin, and since she was so popular they had to destroy her so they ganged up with the left to attack her.

Yep. And I won’t forget it either.

SparkPlug on August 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I know!

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Fallon on August 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM

You’re right, I would have enjoyed it. Wasn’t invited (there’s no reason why I would be) and I’m not a delegate so I’ll watch it on t.v. like everyone else.

Buy Danish on August 1, 2012 at 11:05 PM

proofs in the pudding. Palin is The One. no one cares what romney says, no one cares what obama says. blah blah blah.

But when Sarah speaks……….people listen.

renalin on August 1, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I just wish that future was NOW.

cynccook on August 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM

But then it would just be the present

Rio Linda Refugee on August 1, 2012 at 11:20 PM

May this flap die down soon.

J.E. Dyer on August 1, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM

She will not be viable with the Tea Party.

They see this as pure pandering by her.

Like her sister said. She is the same as her father.

But I do not blame her for playing her hand the best she can. Shows guts. She must have more than her father.

Steveangell on August 1, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Fallon on August 1, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Fascinating post and link – thank you for that!

kim roy on August 1, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Do you think doing LSD and reading steveangell’s thoughts are the same experience?

Rusty Allen on August 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Did you guys catch Palin on Cavuto’s show today, specifically the part where Sarah said she’s so glad that we “have a strong candidate in Romney” someone that “understands the private sector and how to get our economy roaring again”??

Sounds like Sarah knows there’s MAJOR difference between Romney and the Marxist Obama.

Maybe it’s time for the naysayers out there and the “chicken-little” Palin supporters to come to the same realization.

LevinFan on August 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I think Palin has demonstrated yet again that she still isn’t ready.

Basilsbest on August 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM

By not playing like a shiny, plastic, professional pol? Some of us find that to be a feature, not a bug, as we’ve seen what the “professional class” have left us with.

YMMV, of course.

kim roy on August 1, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I write posts all the time that don’t get many page views, and I know they won’t in advance. This is one of them.
Allahpundit on August 1, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Even you don’t believe that, allahpundit…
Tell you what- I’ll check back later, & if this isn’t at least on comment page 4 by midnight, I’ll be sure to apologize for doubting your veracity.
If it’s on comment page 4+… well, I’ll just assume you’re continuing to blow smoke, & poking pro-Palin commenters with a stick to ratchet up page views a la allahpundit 2009, 2010, 2011….
cs89 on August 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Well… Not a blog expert, and comments don’t necessarily mean page views…

But I’m pretty sure allahpundit’s “this post won’t get many page views” was either incredibly off the mark, or just blowing smoke again.

I’ll take door #2…

cs89 on August 1, 2012 at 11:40 PM

I’m more inclined to believe that VP Cheney said it to allow Liz the opportunity to disagree, respectfully, garnering support and respect from the conservative/Tea Party branch of the Republican Party. I think a run for office is in her near future.

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2012 at 9:56 PM

That works too, but it is somewhat a wasted effort as I’d guess that most conservative/TP people are already aware of what a gem she is.

kim roy on August 1, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Steveangell on August 1, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I am a Tea Party participant and I like her. I’m a little leery about people who speak for such a large group of people.

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2012 at 11:41 PM

kim roy on August 1, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Somebody better clue in Steveangell.

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Keep telling yourself that.

Fallon on August 1, 2012 at 10:19 PM

9/11 Truthers and the crackpot website you linked to = 2 peas in a pod:

Similarly, the perverse behavior of many Republicans is not to be explained, unless the explanation is their being the globalist neo-fascists and political spawn of tycoon tyrants of the Rockefeller ilk, who, with their Jacobin rivals, are financed by the same global network of central banks and their mammon-based overlords.

Clearly hyperbolic language appears totally normal to you.

Buy Danish on August 1, 2012 at 10:28 PM

As the person that the link was directed to (response to my comment), I appreciate all and any information given to me so I can see what other people think and then make up my mind as to the validity.

So regardless, I do appreciate the link and believe my big girl pants are handy. ;)

kim roy on August 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM

kim roy on August 1, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Somebody better clue in Steveangell.

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Yeah. I wonder if he’s every watched her. STEVE?? YOU EVER WATCH HER??

Only speaking for myself, but was impressed after watching her speak after two minutes. She is even-handed, intelligent and prepared.

kim roy on August 1, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Rusty Allen on August 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM

He ain’t right. I stopped interacting with him because I felt like I was picking on a retarded kid or something.

Buttercup on August 1, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I’m late to the Allah interaction within the thread but why would VP Cheney needed to dig at Gov. Palin to “help” his pick when he stated he has direct contact with the Romney campaign. Does dredging up that there are parts of the party at loggerheads help?

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2012 at 11:59 PM

kim roy on August 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Handy for what?

Buy Danish on August 2, 2012 at 12:01 AM

GET OFF MY LAWN!

It doesn’t take much imagination to conceive Cheney was the puppet master of GWB. Somebody must have been running the ignoramus. Don’t know who was running Cheney. Now we have the old guard whining about the younger and still idealistic new comers coming in with not just fresh ideas …. but actual patriotism. Heaven forbid. Get off my lawn you damn kids!!!

nueces on August 2, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Buttercup on August 1, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Great, now I feel bad.

Rusty Allen on August 2, 2012 at 12:08 AM

“Given Ted Cruz’s and Deb Fischer’s big wins and the fact that no Republican pol in America is running on Bush’s record, she has more currency on the right than even DC does.”

So true. She is more responsible for a more conservative House, and Senate, than either Cheney or McCain. And she’s doing it again this election.

CTimbo on August 2, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Great, now I feel bad.

Rusty Allen on August 2, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Sorry. It’s ok. Anyway we can’t help but read his thoughts however troubling. They’re right out here for all to see. He’s violating his own HIPPA rights.

Buttercup on August 2, 2012 at 12:18 AM

LevinFan on August 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM

How is it that you are SUCH a big supporter of Mr. Individual Mandate when Levin is most certainly not?

DannoJyd on August 2, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I think Palin has demonstrated yet again that she still isn’t ready.

Basilsbest on August 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Or that Cheney isn’t as smart as we thought he was/is. Or, that he has an agenda other than uniting the party behind Romney…

Gohawgs on August 2, 2012 at 12:37 AM

What Cheney did was political theater and his 1000 year career in politics has made him very good at it. He knew that whatever he said about Palin would be the “take away”.

This idea that SP has no record of accomplishment or that she was far less qualified then the others (BO,JB,JM) in the field is just LEFT WING DEM propaganda from 2008. Or Gamechange the HBO movie.

Cheney had a purpose and it was all about Palin. If he’s backing Portman he could of just BACKED PORTMAN. Why use riddles about Palin to make a point. Cheney’s purpose was to undercut Palin’s stature. To continue a narrative about some dumbdumb beauty queen who accidentally fell into the R VP slot.

SP was doing some theater also. SHe was re-making it clear that she don’t believe in some political pecking order.

BoxHead1 on August 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM

DannoJyd on August 2, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Stop talking out of your backside!

No one fought harder to stop Romney in the primary than me! However we lost and it is what it is.

Levin clearly supports Romney over obama.

Wake up!!

LevinFan on August 2, 2012 at 1:08 AM

nueces on August 2, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I thought that was Karl Rove’s job.

Buy Danish on August 2, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Rusty Allen on August 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Great point!!

LevinFan on August 2, 2012 at 2:37 AM

I am sorry but this line about Rob Portman is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. He has been in senate the same time as Ayyotte and Rubio. How’s he more qualified? his Budget director stint in Bush adminsitration? So Peter Orsazg is vice-preisdential material now?

promachus on August 2, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Ah this stupid move by Cheney is just the latest missive from the Bushies camp and Cheney, the ever faithful lapdog of Bushies is baring his teeth at the biggest threat that the Bushies have against their oligrachy.

By the didn’t Cheney (in fact the whole Bush camp) endorse KBH and Dewhurst in Texas and got their collective arses kicked? He should retire to Wyoming and save whatever dignity is left in his dotage.

promachus on August 2, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Given the precedent set by Dick Cheney, I am sure Gov.Palin has all the permission to criticize Rob Portman or Rubio if they are chosen by Romney. She can go on national tv and I guess her words will get more coverage than Cheney and criticize the hell out of Rubio n Portman.

promachus on August 2, 2012 at 7:46 AM

And yet, within months, you were flogging every negative comment you could find in post after post…

cs89 on August 1, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Within months? He didn’t give her hours. He started posting negative stuff about her almost immediately. Of course with the same blaise innocent airs he’s put on in this post.

It’s interesting that when Mitt Romney runs for president, none of this gaffes ever make it to HA. Even if they do, they are mentioned with pretty strong rebuttals. But you know when Palin supposedly made a mistake in a interview when we were facing Obama as the alternative, the same HA would go on and on about how she made a mistake how she shouldn’t have said this, how she shouldn’t have said that etc etc. Always perpetuating left wing attacks just Dick Cheney. We have learnt a lot about how the establishment controls the narrative.

promachus on August 2, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Like many HA posters Dick Cheney is a solid establishment Republican, but not a solid conservative. He is a neocon – big on marching other peoples’ kids into danger while he had five deferments during the Nam era.

Cheney is neither a fiscal or social conservative. Name Cheney’s conservative accomplishments (pushing the country into wars doesn’t count) – heading the search committee that selected Nelson Rockefeller as Ford’s VP candidate? You’ll be hard-pressed to come up with a meaningful list.

bw222 on August 2, 2012 at 8:13 AM

bw222 on August 2, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Interesting. I did not know about his deferments.

That said, I still think the war is between conservatives and
rinos/liberals. It will escalate up to this election and even
after. Should be an interesting time. I hope voters don’t sit
on their hands after Romney is elected.

Amjean on August 2, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Mr. Arkadin on August 1, 2012 at 10:13 PM

LOL. I’m sure we’d see the same equanimity from the ‘bot crew if Palin went on TV and said that the nomination of Romney is a mistake.

ddrintn on August 2, 2012 at 8:58 AM

ddrintn on August 2, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I’ll say it here and now: Nominating Romney was a mistake.

/KABOOM

gryphon202 on August 2, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Cindy Munford on August 1, 2012 at 11:59 PM

For the very same reason that the Mittbots can’t defend Romney without at some point dragging Palin and TrueCons and socons and other baddies into it. Because Portman or whatever other bland favorite can’t be sold on his own merits.

ddrintn on August 2, 2012 at 9:18 AM

promachus on August 2, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Agreed, but I chalk a lot of that up to the sale of HA. The place has become MittRomneyCentral II. In 2008, it reflected more the conservatism of Michelle Malkin. It was anything but McCain-friendly.

ddrintn on August 2, 2012 at 9:21 AM

BoxHead1 on August 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM

That’s how I read it also, I think it was a mistake and unnecessary.

ddrintn on August 2, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I am sure Portman has many great qualities but I don’t think this how you get the voters on board. Thanks for figuring our what I was trying to say, punctuation on my part would have been very helpful.

Cindy Munford on August 2, 2012 at 9:42 AM

ddrintn on August 2, 2012 at 8:58 AM

You will, if he loses, and she does it four years from now.

Mr. Arkadin on August 2, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Her immediate response, which was partly in humor and a warm up for the body of her reply, was, yes, a little flippant and below the belt. But she said it all with a smile, and, said at least twice afterwards something to the effect that Cheney usually gets it right.

[snip]

Paul-Cincy on August 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I watched the interview carefully, after having heard its contents on the radio.

I tell you what – Sarah Palin was seething. I’ve never seen her like that. Under the surface, man she was so pissed, than I pity Cheney had he happened to have been in the studio. She suppressed it the best she could, but man…. I don’t think Dick’s getting a Christmas card this yesr.

cane_loader on August 2, 2012 at 9:44 AM

cane_loader on August 2, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I think this is true. I have the feeling she had a lot of respect for Cheney until his interview. He did not have to bring her name up in his answer, and if someone you respect publicly denounces you, you would definitely feel hurt and angry.

Garym on August 2, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Garym on August 2, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Exactly right. It was totally gratuitous. She’s been the favorite pinata for various GOPe types for 4 years now; and when she responds, she’s attacked. She’s probably fed up, understandably so.

ddrintn on August 2, 2012 at 10:47 AM

You apparently don’t understand the concept of the VP candidate to espouse the policy positions of the POTUS candidate.

NoNails on August 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Her comment on the budget deal came just last September, and to my knowledge, she’s never reneged on the amnesty comment.

elfman on August 2, 2012 at 3:46 PM

cane_loader on August 2, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I was in BR (Fr-Tu). Sorry I missed you. I may be down again this Fall…

Gohawgs on August 2, 2012 at 4:51 PM