Oops: WH unaware Obama’s landing at Ohio base he wants to close

posted at 10:28 am on August 1, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

All politics is local. Which, presumably, would require the White House or the Obama campaign to Google local issues in Mansfield, Ohio before President Obama lands there today.

But the White House was caught flat-footed by the Mansfield News Journal, which editorialized before his visit:

Our first question to the president would be: What about the C-27J program at Mansfield Lahm Regional Airport?

The Air National Guard base where Air Force One will land remains threatened by Obama’s proposed cuts to the military budget. With no replacement mission for the 179th, the cargo planes that served so valiantly in Afghanistan could be scrapped next year.

The cost to operate these planes — and staff the Air National Guard unit — is far lower than any alternative aircraft operated by our full-time military. We have proven the cost effectiveness of the 179th, yet the president’s military budget has proposed eliminating the aircraft and ending the 179th’s mission in Mansfield.

Beyond the threat to national security, Mansfield stands to lose nearly 1,000 jobs if the president gets his way.

So, Mr. President, please explain to the people of Mansfield why the U.S. government wants to eliminate such a worthwhile part of our community and nation.

The community has been in an all-out fight to save the 800 jobs connected to the Air National Guard base for months, and the president just visited the area in early July on a bus tour. But here’s Jay Carney answering the questions of the people of Mansfield:

REPORTER: “Can you talk a little bit about why the president is going back to the same area of Akron, Ohio tomorrow that he has visited before? And in Mansfield the local paper is reporting if President Obama has his way his Air Force One arrival would be one of the final flights into the Mansfield airport, because the president wants to do away with the mission for the 800 guardsmen at the Mansfield.”

WH Spokesman Jay Carney: “I’ll have to take the question, I’m not aware of that particular issue. In terms of why is he is going to Ohio and Akron –”

REPORTER: “But that area of Ohio, Mansfield and Akron, I mean he was just there on the bus tour.”

CARNEY: “There is not an inch of Ohio that the president does not love to visit. It’s a great state, my wife’s home state.”

REPORTER: “In terms of Mansfield, can we get you to take that question?”

CARNEY: “Sure. I’m not aware of even the policy implications or what issue this is.”

The White House revised its answer for the News Journal today:

“After President (Barack) Obama ended the war in Iraq and began winding down our military presence in Afghanistan, Democrats and Republicans in Congress agreed to tough cuts in defense spending. Military leaders, including the Joint Chiefs of Staff, developed a strategy for military restructuring that will impact the C-27J fleet, whose missions can also be fulfilled by the larger C-130 aircraft.

“That said, the president is committed to working with the Department of Defense to find a mission for Mansfield Lahm Air National Guard Base, so that the men and women who serve there can continue to make their important contribution to our national security,” White House spokeswoman Joanna Rosholm said Tuesday night.

That answer implies the cut is part of sequestration, the cuts for which have yet to be outlined, but the C-27J program is one cited specifically by Obama, not the sequestration process, as “unnecessary.”

Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), who has fought against the cut with Republican counterpart Sen. Rob Portman, has talked about the cut as “Obama’s proposal.”

It’s not the only issue the local populace has questions about. The government’s handling of a GM plant has caused some local grumbling:

Next, Mr. President, we are looking for any insight you might have regarding the sale of the former General Motors plant in Ontario.

The once-vital part of our community provided several thousand jobs. When the plant was idled, the jobs vanished, but the workers remained in our community, ready for whatever might take GM’s place. To date, nothing has. The federally managed trust overseeing the sale of the plant continues to say a sale is close.

We are assuming the president has some idea of what is going on about the pending sale, and we would like him to tell us what it might mean to the future of our community.

The Romney campaign tries to tap into some of that rancor with its new ad, “Dream,” which features an Ohio GM dealership owner closed down when the government took over the company:

VIDEO TEXT: “Al Zarzour”

VIDEO TEXT: “Lyndhurst, OH”

AL ZARZOUR: “Grew up here in Lyndhurst, started 1972, selling cars.”

VOICEOVER: “In 2009, under the Obama Administration’s bailout of General Motors, Ohio dealerships were forced to close.”

ZARZOUR: “I received a letter from General Motors. They were suspending my credit line. We had thirty-some employees that were out of work.

ZARZOUR: “My wife and I were the last ones there. You know, it was like the dream that we worked for, and that we worked so hard for, was gone.”

MITT ROMNEY: “I’m Mitt Romney and I approved this message.”

If Obama wants to play the layoffs card, he’s got something to answer for, too. If the president keeps ignoring local concerns when he touches down, maybe Romney can make up some of that empathy gap hurting him in swing states.

Note (Ed): Through a miscommunication, we published a post from Dustin that was clearly not ready to go and had it up for about 20 minutes.  I’ve pulled it back into draft.  I apologize for the error.

Comments

Heh…

OmahaConservative on August 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Is this Stalinist America now? Do we erase people from history and pretend they never existed? Well, I for one will not ever let the memory of Dustin Siggins die!

NotCoach on August 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM

But Mary Katharine, he’s the smahtest president evah so who cares?!?

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Nothing better than flying into a business with your private jet and telling them you have to close them down…especially in a swing state.

Obama, you are making it too easy, we need for Mitt to work a little harder.

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Marxism leads to bankruptcy and failure.

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM

But the White House was caught flat-footed by the Mansfield News Journal,

Can you pivot while you’re flat-footed?
/moves

ted c on August 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM

And the embarrassments continue …

stukinIL4now on August 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM

What’s that I smell? Another Obamaturism!

crazy_legs on August 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM

People are assuming he cares about the base closing. He only needs it until after the election. Who knows what he will promise (fingers crossed) until then.

underdog on August 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM

They’ve just released another one directed for Ohioians called “Time For A Change”.

Guarantee you it will have DWS and Stephanie Cutter’s panties in a bunch in 5..4..3..

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Note (Ed): Through a miscommunication, we published a post from Dustin that was clearly not ready to go and had it up for about 20 minutes. I’ve pulled it back into draft. I apologize for the error.

sorry for our trenchant potshots in the comments, Ed.

ted c on August 1, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Wow! Good thing the polls show Obama so far ahead in the polls and Ohio’s unemployment so low that workers have their pick of opportunity. Otherwise the visit might be awkward.

Happy Nomad on August 1, 2012 at 10:37 AM

We can neither tolerate our faults, nor the fixes for them.

lorien1973 on August 1, 2012 at 10:37 AM

If Obama wants to play the layoffs card, he’s got something to answer for, too.

No, he doesn’t. The MSM will do everything to make sure no one outside the region knows, or it’ll make excuses, or it’ll twist the issue into Romney is a racist hater for bringing up the matter.

Liam on August 1, 2012 at 10:37 AM

All I can say to the GM Dealership owner is – You didn’t build it !!!
The government helped you and now they have the right to decimate you.

Sticky Wicket on August 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM

NEWS UPDATE: White House actively supporting conservative website’s Obamateurism of the Day feature

aunursa on August 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM

“Good” news: me, me, me, I, I, me, me, I, me…
Bad news: kiosks, earthquakes, tsunamis, Bush, BIpartisanship… but it’s NOT ME.

These folks should look down at their ankles once in a while. They’ll find their pants there if they’d just look.

This might even qualify for an OOTW. But its only Wednesday.

VietVet_Dave on August 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Disengage, Disengage!!!

Buddy Spike!!!

Pull out, I repeat, DIS-EN-GAGE!!!

lol, what freaking clowns.

hawkdriver on August 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM

It’s time for Team Mitt to start getting some boots on the ground to protest this fool when he shows up.

Get on it, guys…

JohnGalt23 on August 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM

He’s also using fuel he wants to ban in his airplane.

wildcat72 on August 1, 2012 at 10:40 AM

If I were Romney.. along the same lines as the dealerships, I’d find all the investors Obama and Co outright screwed so assets could be passed to the unions/ cronies.

It would need to be done carefully to avoid deminizing the union wrokers but still should be done..

Remember how one group tried stopping this transfer of wealth only to get backdoor threats…?

theblacksheepwasright on August 1, 2012 at 10:40 AM

it’s a good thing we gotcha some 12 wks, 34wks, 99 wks, forevahh unemployment benefits, yeahhhh!!! So, can we land our big plane now?

PS: you should be thanking us
/dems

ted c on August 1, 2012 at 10:40 AM

sorry for our trenchant potshots in the comments, Ed.

ted c on August 1, 2012 at 10:37 AM

He still hasn’t answered the questions of where Dustin is being held and when, if ever, he’ll be freed.

NotCoach on August 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Will the press gaggle hound Obama about theese gaffes and ask why he doesn’t simply return to the White House?

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM

NotCoach on August 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM

dustin is being hidden underneath mitt romney’s tax returns.

ted c on August 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I like it. I especially like the little blues riff going on in the background.

JohnGalt23 on August 1, 2012 at 10:42 AM

It’s OK to waterboard Dustin

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 10:43 AM

… If the president keeps ignoring local concerns when he touches down, maybe Romney can make up some of that empathy gap hurting him in swing states.

…troll…Romney is too rich and out of touch!…JugEars feels our pain!

KOOLAID2 on August 1, 2012 at 10:43 AM

It’s OK to waterboard Dustin

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Agreed! (only if we get video)

lorien1973 on August 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM

“There is not an inch of Ohio that the president does not love to visit.”

Well sure, now that the menace of the Lyndhurst, Ohio GMC Dealership has been successfully eliminated.

Kenosha Kid on August 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Shovel ready not quite? I guess that post partially hinged

C’mon, it’s fun to see back stage sometimes…

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on August 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM

What president?
(1)The president that hasn’t the time to meet with his economic team this year?
(2) The president who is “committed” and laser-focused on the economy?

Is anyone (in this administration) at all “committed” to anything other than campaigning?

Oopsdaisy on August 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I’ve pulled it back into draft. I apologize for the error.

Ace just double posts them. Gaffes are fun.

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

But obama is leading in the polls in Ohio
-lsm

cmsinaz on August 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Get on it, guys…

JohnGalt23 on August 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM

They’ve already got Orlando covered in anticipation of the boy king’s visit here tomorrow.

But it isn’t boots on the ground that will be waiting for him.

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

The C-27 is one of the newest planes we have. Why cut it?
And it can’t be replaced by the larger (and much, much older) C-130. It was actually intended to replace the smaller C-23 Sherpa. I don’t think I could take another ride in a Sherpa.
By the way, did anyone else get a laugh out of the press release that says Obama ended the Iraq war, while congress agreed to cut defense spending?

Mahna Mahna on August 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I told everyone that there’s a reason he’s staying north of Mansfield when he visits Ohio. He tried to go to Cincinnati recently and I’m guessing it didn’t go too well since he went back to Akron afterward.

And now he seems to be losing Mansfield. Yet there are still delusional people that actually believe Obama will win Ohio? Sorry, but I have a very strong connection to Ohio and he’s not winning Ohio.

MobileVideoEngineer on August 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM

NotCoach on August 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM

HA.

CorporatePiggy on August 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM

VERY GOOD AD !! Great use of Zero’s own claims.

pambi on August 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Sorry, but I have a very strong connection to Ohio and he’s not winning Ohio.

MobileVideoEngineer on August 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Good to hear. This country needs it to be true.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on August 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM

My son is one of the almost 1000 people employed at the Mansfield base. Their future continues to be uncertain as the wheels of government slowly grind toward a decision. As for Obama working with the DOD, don’t make us laugh, we’re not holding our breath here in the Buckeye State.

I should also add that the irony wasn’t lost on those that work there. The first response wasn’t excitement or pride that their base was being used, it was disgust with a president so out of touch that he didn’t even know what he was doing.

MaggieMae on August 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM

VERY GOOD AD !! Great use of Zero’s own claims.

pambi on August 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Ah, but how long before we hear, “no fair, they took my words out of context”?

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM

MaggieMae on August 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I am so sorry to hear that MaggieMae. I guess there are some things that Kasich just cant fix.

But look over there… at Ann Romney’s blouse. Isn’t THAT out of touch?
/mooch

VietVet_Dave on August 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Ah, but how long before we hear, “no fair, they took my words out of context”?

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Two and half weeks?

VietVet_Dave on August 1, 2012 at 10:59 AM

VietVet_Dave on August 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Rather than telling the emperor that he had no clothes his loyal subjects (staff) decided to dress like him. Even if they look down at their ankles they wouldn’t see their pants.

chemman on August 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM

“I’ll have to take the question, I’m not aware of that particular issue. In terms of why is he is not going to Tel Aviv and Jerusulem –”

Did we ever get an answer to that capital question? Al-Quds?

“…You know, it was like the dream that we worked for, and that we worked so hard for, was gone

.”

If Teh One believes “you didn’t build it” through working harder or smarter, Teh One can take it.

Fallon on August 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Obrama… The genius bullsh*tter who surrounded himself with a bunch of other genius bullsh*tters… Not one – has a clue. And yet Chrissy says Barry is perfect. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

RalphyBoy on August 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM

It’s a good ad, but some of the white numbers blend into the bright sky and are unreadable. The Romney campaign needs to make sure the text color contrasts with the background color if this goes on TV.

Steve Z on August 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

WHOA! Hold on a minute – JAY CARNEY has a “WIFE”?????? What? No way.

Pork-Chop on August 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I’m Mitt Romney and I approved this message.

How about the tagline to that ad be changed to:

I’m Mitt Romney and I don’t approve of President Obama’s message to small business owners.

Fallon on August 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

sorry for our trenchant potshots in the comments, Ed.

ted c on August 1, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I was laughing between the head-desk impacts.

Ed Morrissey on August 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM

WHOA! Hold on a minute – JAY CARNEY has a “WIFE”?????? What? No way.

Pork-Chop on August 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Calm down… its only Julia. Imaginary people only exist in press conferences.

VietVet_Dave on August 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

WHOA! Hold on a minute – JAY CARNEY has a “WIFE”?????? What? No way.

Pork-Chop on August 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Since he calls him wife I guess that makes Carney the butch one in the relationship.

NotCoach on August 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Translation: I’ll take the question, but I won’t answer it.

Now kiss Obama’s derriere, like good boys and girls…

Steve Z on August 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM

WHOA! Hold on a minute – JAY CARNEY has a “WIFE”?????? What? No way.

Pork-Chop on August 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Yup, none other than ABC reporter, Claire Shipman.

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Every time a cigar explodes an angel gets its wings.

Naturally Curly on August 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM

WHOA! Hold on a minute – JAY CARNEY has a “WIFE”?????? What? No way.

Pork-Chop on August 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Yup, none other than ABC reporter, Claire Shipman.

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Huh, I thought it was one of the Hilary Rosens.

Fallon on August 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM

faraway on August 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Oh, puh-LEEEEZE!!! What self-respecting journalist would travel to Ohio to hound Obama when they can get expense-paid trips to Poland to hound Romney, then watch the Olympics in London?

Steve Z on August 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I’ve always wondered why they don’t use more billboards…lots of time they have a captive audience.

Barred on August 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Morrisseyism of the Day.

Or HotGassism of the Day.

22044 on August 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM

HotGassism of the Day.

22044 on August 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Those usually occur after Uppereastside and inthemiddle get here.

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I’m hopeful that Mr. & Mrs. Zarzour appreciate that the shut-down of his dealership was for a good cause.

hoosiermama on August 1, 2012 at 11:26 AM

How about changing the tagline to:

English is my first language, honest.

Fallon on August 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Are you kidding? Actually it was nice have a condensed post from Dustin, that guy is like the guy who loves to hear himself talk. Dustin must sit back and read all of his posts and say “I have so much to say, I must be brilliant”…
Please, teach him to be more concise…more words are not an indication of knowledge, just the opposite.

right2bright on August 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Would the media consider this a “gaffe”?

ctmom on August 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Those usually occur after Uppereastside and inthemiddle get here.

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Heh. They’ll be here eventually!

22044 on August 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM

“We are assuming the president has some idea of what is going on”

Bwaaaaahahahahahaha!!!
Oh, oh…hahahahaa
STOP!!
Oh, my side….

mrt721 on August 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Remember his first “official” re-election speech at a half-empty tOSU field?

MobileVideoEngineer on August 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Anyone like Obama should not have to keep visiting sure-fire safe Dem territory like Lorain, Elyria, Cleveland and Akron and have us not get the impression that something’s seriously wrong.

Myron Falwell on August 1, 2012 at 11:49 AM

So how many jobs did Obama create kill?

GarandFan on August 1, 2012 at 11:50 AM

How bad is it for the Dems in Ohio? When their state party chairman unintentionally almost conceded an open race in a swing district (caused by Rep. LaTourette’s surprise retirement).

Myron Falwell on August 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I like it. I especially like the little blues riff going on in the background.

JohnGalt23 on August 1, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Yep. Meshes perfectly with the images of despair and hopelessness. Very creative.

a capella on August 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Yes, and he particularly loves visiting the coal mines then bankrupting them later! And skyrocketing energy rates! And bitter clingers! Wheeee! Vote for The O.

Buy Danish on August 1, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Will the MSM talk about this gaffe 24/7 as they did about Romney’s non-gaffes that they tried to turn into gaffes?

lukjuj on August 1, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Remember his first “official” re-election speech at a half-empty tOSU field?

Myron Falwell on August 1, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Not only that, he was booed at his OSU appearance if I recall.

MobileVideoEngineer on August 1, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Everyone has to do their fair share. After all, we have to pay for Mooch’s jacket somehow….

Tenwheeler on August 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Not only that, he was booed at his OSU appearance if I recall.

MobileVideoEngineer on August 1, 2012 at 12:13 PM

He wasn’t booed at OSU. He hasn’t the testicle to set foot in Stillwater……

Tenwheeler on August 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Not only that, he was booed at his OSU appearance if I recall.

MobileVideoEngineer on August 1, 2012 at 12:13 PM

He wasn’t booed at OSU. He hasn’t the testicle to set foot in Stillwater……

Tenwheeler on August 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Sorry, I should have spelled it out, but I didn’t think I would need to. We were talking about Ohio, the other poster mentioned tOSU (i.e. The Ohio State University) so I was talking about tOSU. I’m old school, I’ve called it OSU since I started following them in football and having been born in Columbus, that would be basically from birth (almost 30 years ago).

MobileVideoEngineer on August 1, 2012 at 1:01 PM

This entire post is precisely what’s wrong with having a military-industrial complex as a cornerstone of the economy.

KMC1 on August 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Yup, none other than ABC reporter, Claire Shipman.

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I like the way ABC fails to mention the fact that he’s the WH Press Sec in their reference to the generic “husband Jay Carney”. A reputable organization would have it bolded and italicized that there is a blatant conflict of interest, in the interest of full disclosure.

CycloneCDB on August 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on August 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM

If you go to the News Journal’s website, you’ll see the people are happy that he’s going there.

RickB on August 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM

KMC1 on August 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Except the Mansfield economy was built on manufacturing jobs. Starting in the 70′s with the closures of Mansfield Tire, Tappan, Westinghouse, Empire-Detroit Steel, Ohio Brass and finally GM the area lost thousands of jobs that weren’t involved with the military.

RickB on August 1, 2012 at 1:30 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on August 1, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I knew what you meant. I’ve always heard it referred to as Ohio State. Started watching college football when Woody was still coach, a tad more than thiry years ago.

Howver, my comment about lack of testosterone fruit still stands.
I would bet all that orange would give him chills and start him thnking of bars, and beltless pants, etc…

Tenwheeler on August 1, 2012 at 1:41 PM

…threatened by Obama’s proposed cuts to the military budget. With no replacement mission for the 179th, the cargo planes that served so valiantly in Afghanistan could be scrapped next year.

So, Obama’s proposed cuts would literally scrap (destroy) these cargo planes that we have been actively using to support cargo movement for combat operations in Afghanistan?

What the Hell?!?

Could Vladimir Putin himself be any more destructive to our military and combat readiness?!?!

ITguy on August 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I grew up on Air Force bases prior to serving in the USMC myself. Let me say this very slowly, so the people of Mansfield can understand it: THE US MILITARY IS NOT A JOBS PROGRAM FOR YOUR COMMUNITY.

I spent my youth living in communities which more often than not were represented by Democratic congressmen, where people whined about the noise from the planes, we even had people asking if the USAF could MOVE THE RUNWAY! They regularly voted for legislators who would cut defense spending any which-way they could, then started wailing and gnashing their teeth when it was suggested that “THEIR” base (meaning Federal cash cow) might get closed. If the JCS determines that closing the base in Mansfield will result in more effective use of taxpayer dollars for the security of our nation, then close the damn base down, I couldn’t care less.

quikstrike98 on August 1, 2012 at 2:33 PM

But obama is leading in the polls in Ohio
-lsm

cmsinaz on August 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Yeah, what’s up with that, them being so enamoured with 0 there?? Is it the water? :)… or what exactly?

jimver on August 1, 2012 at 2:44 PM

KMC1 on August 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM

This is ridiculous….let’s get serious, we export a lot of the ‘military industrial complex’ stuff/products, that brings money to the economy, what would you sell/export please and be competitive in the face of China, enlighten us…on any other type of manufacturing we can’t compete with them,, they will do it cheaper, and then we’ll end up exporting what, hot air???….

jimver on August 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM

If you’re talking about the TPE post, just read it. IMHO, it’s still “not ready to go…”

/s

cs89 on August 1, 2012 at 2:59 PM

But it isn’t boots on the ground that will be waiting for [Obama in Florida].

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Not boots, but butts. Plus-sized or petite, plump or scrawny, white, tan, brown, black, red, tattooed, sunburned, freckled… all proudly lined up and exposed to the presidential motorcade for miles and miles and miles.

I, too, have a dream.

Mary in LA on August 1, 2012 at 3:02 PM

ITguy on August 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

The planes were purchased to fill a very small niche — deliveries in Afghanistan’s terrain. Now that the U.S. is pulling out of Afghanistan, their niche is gone.

AngusMc on August 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM

You’d think they’d have a little brain-power on the campaign staff. Just think, these guys get credit for being so smart. If they were playing sports they’d be called “over-rated”

bflat879 on August 1, 2012 at 3:43 PM

AngusMc on August 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Maybe they can use them to fly supplies into those seven extra states. I mean, if all of the other 50 take up the entire area of the United States, these have to be some pretty small states, hence the need for small delivery vehicles….

(OO)

Tenwheeler on August 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM

If the base truly does serve a mission that cannot be performed more cheaply elsewhere by consolidation with another base then it should be closed. It is purpose of neither the DoE nor the DoD to employ people. Employment by government should be based on the need to employ people to accomplish the mission, not the needs of the job market. Quoting Uncle Miltie, “there’s no such thing as a free lunch.” The money that government spends to hire people is money that it must first extract from the private economy, reducing the real economy’s ability to hire.

MJBrutus on August 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding!
We have a winner!!!
OOTW!!!

What a Dork!

gooeylong on August 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM

The way the Obama 2012 team has been going, playing like the Junior Varsity, I’m reminded of the line from SNL’s Jon Lovett as Michael Dukakis: I can’t believe I’m losing to this guy!

socalcon on August 2, 2012 at 12:15 AM

AngusMc, the post-combat support will continue for about a decade (historically). Those assets have a remaining useful life and another ‘mission’.

socalcon on August 2, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Answer: with O’JugEars’ approval numbers cratering, POTUS will not risk going where there will not be a polite crowd (military disciple and respect, ya know). Besides, he’s still brimming with the same level of confidence as when he and Oprah virtually assured Chicago of the Olympics…um, he merely needs to ‘tell his story’ and then the electorate will love him again..

socalcon on August 2, 2012 at 12:28 AM