Romney to announce VP via smartphone app

posted at 1:21 pm on July 31, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

Because text messages are so 2008:

Four years ago, then-Sen. Barack Obama made his vice presidential choice public by sending a mass text message to supporters. On Tuesday, Mitt Romney’s campaign announced they will make their announcement through a smartphone app.

The campaign launched an app called “Mitt’s VP,” which will send the news straight to a smartphone using push notifications and then allow the user to easily spread the word on social networks like Facebook and Twitter.

“The first official way to learn the name of the Republican Vice Presidential candidate is by using our new ‘Mitt’s VP’ app,” said Romney Digital Director Zac Moffatt in a statement. “Users of the app will be the first to get the news on the biggest political decision of the year through an instantaneous alert on the one device most people carry around the clock — their phone.”

Obama’s gambit famously flopped in 2008 as national news camera crews surrounded his “super-secret VP choice’s house” a day before the announcement. Obama supporters started getting the “news” of the Biden pick in the early morning hours of Aug. 23, 2008, hours after all MSM outlets had reported the story. Then, because the volume of text messages they were pushing was so high, they went out in waves, and some supporters were not notified of the “news” until well into the day on Saturday. Some even received the message on Nokias! It was a different time.

Nokia!

Because it was the Obama ’08 campaign, there wasn’t much backlash for the snafu (though some predicted it), the move was hailed as savvy, and everyone moved on. What it did succeed in doing, and what it was truly meant to achieve more than its putative democratization of the announcement, was the inflation of Obama’s cell-phone number rolls.

Romney’s not likely to get the same light treatment from the press if his VP announcement via new technology goes as sour as Obama’s did. First step: check the spelling on the Veep’s name. There’s also more for him to gain than Obama by giving voters first crack at the news by keeping a tight lid on it. Conservatives would certainly warm to the idea of knowing the pick before the MSM, if it were possible, though I doubt it will be. If I remember correctly, it was a Secret Service crew being sent to Biden’s house that tipped everyone off, and the press will be keeping an eye out for that logistical necessity again.

But much like Obama’s gambit, this isn’t designed to democratize the announcement as much as it is to get a buy-in to the campaign from a bunch of voters tantalized by the idea of being included. So, what are you waiting for? Download your app!

It is a cool idea that will get Romney a bit of press, making his technology coverage much more sunny of late than coverage of the Obama campaign. Buzzfeed‘s charting of the “strange devolution of the Obama campaign’s e-mails,” from confident suitor in ’08 to insecure stalker in ’12 went viral yesterday. Because it’s so true.

Comments

Call me, maybe.

I’ve lost all respect for you.

lorien1973 on July 31, 2012 at 1:22 PM

…and some leftists still don’t know that Biden is VP, and in reality it does not matter. He is a puppet.

Schadenfreude on July 31, 2012 at 1:24 PM

The bar is set really, really high with the current VP.

acyl72 on July 31, 2012 at 1:25 PM

If Biden is his veep again,
Obama will need a DumbPhone app to announce it

burrata on July 31, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Who cares.

tencole on July 31, 2012 at 1:26 PM

The poll numbers and strategy videos are gone. Now, the campaign’s emails are often hectoring, manipulative and full of angst, and there are just way more of them.

Heh, the Schadenfreude is palpable, and has just begun. Load up on popcorn and whatever you fancy in celebration, but don’t start the party until the night of Nov. 6.

To send these goons away in utter mockery s/b the ultimate in Schadenfreude, and a warning to all the charlatans of the world.

Alas, it will be short lived.

Schadenfreude on July 31, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Why so early?

Khun Joe on July 31, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I predict doom.

faraway on July 31, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Romney to announce VP via smartphone app

Egads!! I’ll just wait for the news the old-fashioned way. Not sitting on pins and needles over this the way I was for the ObamaCare decision.

Bitter Clinger on July 31, 2012 at 1:30 PM

One of the few things I admire about the McCain campaign was how they handled the veep announcement. No one had a clue until right up to when they actually confirmed it was Palin. Of course, the resulting buzz had a lot to do with who it was…I can’t imagine, if the Romney campaign is able to keep this under wraps only to build up to, er, Portman, that they’ll see the same result. In fact, if I were them and it’s a so-called boring choice, better to not build up to it so people aren’t as disappointed afterwards.

changer1701 on July 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I just want in on the $3 birthday party lottery for Malia so I can smash the pinata and laugh my arse off when no money falls out.

hillsoftx on July 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM

O.T. Women gymnastics wins GOLD!!!

You know that’s pretty capitalist and historically greedy. Just like this App thing that Mitt is talking about. He will probably even pick a WHITE person. Which proves he hates blacks. And it will probably be a man, which proves he hates women. And he’s a former leader of the Olympics which proves he hates athletes, which in turn proves he hates WOMENS Gymnastics teams.

There you go………..the spin from the Media appearing on MSNBC in 5….4…..3…..

PappyD61 on July 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Phoning it in…

idesign on July 31, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I wish that Laurel & Hardy were the Prez and Vee Prez. They could do far better than any Commie, or any Fake GOP – the whole slue of them after Reagan; and I could actully watch their press conferences … and enjoy it.

Oh well, it was just a thought.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 31, 2012 at 1:34 PM

GRRR! I have a hand-me-down iPhone 3G which has all but been abandoned by Apple and won’t run this app(you need 3GS or higher as usual). And it won’t work on my rooted Kindle Fire either even though some Android Apps are compatible now.

Oh well, I have the Drudge app installed, so I’m sure I’ll be alerted to the choice about 2 seconds after the Mitt’s VP app announces it.

Doughboy on July 31, 2012 at 1:34 PM

What could go wrong?

JamesSeanMcKeane on July 31, 2012 at 1:35 PM

O.T. Women gymnastics wins GOLD!!!

PappyD61 on July 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Thanks? Glad I wasn’t planning on watching this tonight or anything.

Geesh.

lorien1973 on July 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Some even received the message on Nokias!

HEH!!

ted c on July 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM

You heard it here first: Herman Cain

DarkCurrent on July 31, 2012 at 1:37 PM

What about McCain? He did a great job of keeping Palin a secret until the announcement.

kerrhome on July 31, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Just signed up

cmsinaz on July 31, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Schadenfreude on July 31, 2012 at 1:24 PM

That was a particularly vile insult against puppets.

MessesWithTexas on July 31, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I called her every damn day!

Every damn day? On the telephone?

Of course it was on the telephone! How else would I call her? What the..

Bishop on July 31, 2012 at 1:40 PM

kerrhome on July 31, 2012 at 1:37 PM

That’s true. I remember refreshing Drudge and a half dozen other sites that morning trying to find out who his pick would be(I was rooting for it to be Palin since I’d seen interviews she’d done on Beck’s old HN show). I’m amazed how well they kept that under wraps until just an hour or two before she spoke at that rally.

Doughboy on July 31, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Lame.

KS Rex on July 31, 2012 at 1:41 PM

This is way too Obama-ish for my taste. I don’t have a smart phone, nor want one.

Paul-Cincy on July 31, 2012 at 1:42 PM

O.T. Women gymnastics wins GOLD!!!

PappyD61 on July 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Thanks? Glad I wasn’t planning on watching this tonight or anything.

Geesh.

lorien1973 on July 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Well, there go my plans for tonight. Please, don’t post any more scores!

herm2416 on July 31, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Oh well, it was just a thought.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 31, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I have nothing to say.
(Tie twiddle)

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on July 31, 2012 at 1:43 PM

O.T. Women gymnastics wins GOLD!!!

PappyD61 on July 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM

It was the pommel horse, wasn’t it?

changer1701 on July 31, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Bishop on July 31, 2012 at 1:40 PM

ahahahaaahaha…good damn scene.

How, in the name of God, does it now end up being Portman?!?

a “Portman as Veep” notice should go out on the cover of a TPS report.

Has to Rubio, Jindal or Ryan.

Anyone “not young” is going to look stooopid.

budfox on July 31, 2012 at 1:44 PM

O.T. Women gymnastics wins GOLD!!!

awesome but dammit! I wanted to see it tonight. Good for Jordan Wieber

ted c on July 31, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Yeah, don’t post any Olympics event results, some of us like to actually watch and see what happens without knowing who wins.

Bishop on July 31, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Romney should announce that Rachel Maddow is his Veep, on MTV.

Well, it makes sense. He can advise the young, the Commie and the homosexual that they can all get on board, at the same time.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 31, 2012 at 1:45 PM

O.T. Women gymnastics wins GOLD!!!

PappyD61 on July 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Maybe she can trade it for a jar of peanut butter.
Developing food / food price crisis.
Ask for it by name.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on July 31, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Got the Ap on my iPad. Didn’t note any misspelled words, but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t have Chicago Values.

Plus, if you register you get a free bumper sticker as soon as the announcement is made. And as an added bonus, 10,000 emails.

I haven’t had a bumper sticker since 1972.

Curtiss on July 31, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I have nothing to say.
(Tie twiddle)

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on July 31, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Exactly! That is what Hardy can say, at every report of economic decline.

See, it works!

OhEssYouCowboys on July 31, 2012 at 1:47 PM

big blankin’ deal! Who friggin’ cares!

Mittens conintues to suck!

America needs conservatives in charge for a change (still)…volunteers desperately needed….particularly for President of the United States.

Pragmatic on July 31, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Phoning it in…

idesign on July 31, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Winner!

tencole on July 31, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I guess I’ll have to break down and trade in my Blackberry for an I-phone or Android phone. It’s not available for the tech-not-so-savvy crowd using BBs. ;)

totherightofthem on July 31, 2012 at 1:52 PM

big blankin’ deal! Who friggin’ cares!

Mittens conintues to suck!

Pragmatic on July 31, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Howard Johnson is offering one free night at any of his hotels if you send his campaign $100.

Bishop on July 31, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Bishop on July 31, 2012 at 1:53 PM

“Howard Johnson is right!”Blazing Saddles

Doughboy on July 31, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Anyone that didn’t like the Womens gymnastics team post must be a Romney voter, because they all hate women.

Haters hate. :-)

PappyD61 on July 31, 2012 at 1:54 PM

big blankin’ deal! Who friggin’ cares!

Mittens conintues to suck!

Pragmatic on July 31, 2012 at 1:48 PM

You’re such a ray of sunshine. What is this about volunteers for the Presidency? I don’t think that’s how it works…

changer1701 on July 31, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Since Mitt’s VP will probably be a Governor, the Secret Service might tip Mitt’s hand if they gravitate to a certain state, such as Indiana (Daniels), Minnesota (Pawlenty), New Mexico (Martinez), or Louisiana (Jindal).

What’s a better way to juice the campaign than the Mitt’s VP smart-phone app? Picking a great VP candidate! Your move, Governor Romney!

Steve Z on July 31, 2012 at 1:55 PM

PALIN! YES!

Bulletchaser on July 31, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Please don’t announce Oly results!

John the Libertarian on July 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I remember when Abraham Lincoln telegraphed his VP pick.

Good Times.

portlandon on July 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Kind of like the Publisher’s Clearinghouse Prize Patrol?

Mitoch55 on July 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Hoping the VP arrives wearing one of these, along with a flag pin

Taggart Transcontenental

Subtle

tomg51 on July 31, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Say what?

Some even received the message on Nokias!

My brand new Nokia Lumia 900 will kick your iPhone’s ass.

Woody on July 31, 2012 at 2:02 PM

called her every damn day!

Every damn day? On the telephone?

Of course it was on the telephone! How else would I call her? What the..

Bishop on July 31, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I need a Drink….

ToddPA on July 31, 2012 at 2:03 PM

The bar is set really, really high with the current VP.

acyl72 on July 31, 2012 at 1:25 PM

they’re the Stupid Party, if there is a way, they will find it

Doctor Zhivago on July 31, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Shoring up his demographic, thank God.

Bulletchaser on July 31, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Phoning it in…

idesign on July 31, 2012 at 1:33 PM

THREAD WINNER.

ToddPA on July 31, 2012 at 2:06 PM

kerrhome on July 31, 2012 at 1:37 PM

…it was the only damntime in his life…he has shutup!

KOOLAID2 on July 31, 2012 at 2:08 PM

OT: Olympic medal announcements .. I originally felt offended by knowing results before the broadcasts, but at least we didn’t waste any time watching the men’s gymnastic team. Sigh. Now I’m EXCITED to watch our girls tonight !!!

pambi on July 31, 2012 at 2:08 PM

The three choices for female VP they are looking at:
Rice, Ayotte, Martinez
The male choices are:
Portman, McDonnell, Thune, Santorum, Pawlenty, Christie, Jindal, Rubio, Ryan and Gingrich.
My bet if they go with a woman: Martinez
My bet if they go with a man: Jindal

txmomof6 on July 31, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Forget mobile apps, I think he should sky write it.

tommer74 on July 31, 2012 at 2:09 PM

If I recall correctly, the Biden pick was leaked early because some aircraft workers had spied his name being painted on the campaign plane in the wee hours.

KrebsCyclist on July 31, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Dyslexics for Mitt!

applebutter on July 31, 2012 at 2:15 PM

You are all very, very, bad.

Paul-Cincy on July 31, 2012 at 1:54 PM

-Just give me the bottle, bro.

“Ok, how about you bend over and I’ll shove it straight up your azz.”

-Uhhhh….just a glass is fine.

“Yeaaaahhh, that’s what I thought.”

Bishop on July 31, 2012 at 2:15 PM

The bar is set really, really high with the current VP.

acyl72 on July 31, 2012 at 1:25 PM

What we need is a more effective court jester.

LetsBfrank on July 31, 2012 at 2:17 PM

O.T. Women gymnastics wins GOLD!!!

PappyD61 on July 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Those gymnasts didn’t win that. Somebody else won that. /

LetsBfrank on July 31, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Meh. Still refuse to get a smartphone. I’ll take the slim chance of not getting the info until Drudge posts it twelve seconds later over the slavery of being chained to one of those things.

Gingotts on July 31, 2012 at 2:20 PM

portlandon on July 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM

You don’t look your age. :D

PatriotGal2257 on July 31, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Rommey’s staff should send security guards to several VP candidates at the nsame time and watch MSM rush their incorrect breaking news stories in a lib-gasim of excitement.

Joe the Signman on July 31, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I bet there will be no love for all three of us Windows Phone users…

onetrickpony on July 31, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Great political strategy. It gives people the opportunity to make their own first impression before the MSM can cast a shadowy introduction.

michaelthomas on July 31, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I hope Romney leaves the Republicsn governors alone (Jindal, Haley, Martinez, Perry). We need strong leadership in the states more than we need them at VP. We also need our strong conservative voice in the Senate and House if we are going to repeal Obamacare so that rules out Ryan, Rubio, Rand Paul.

I would really like to see Romney pick a veteran from Afghanistan or Iraq. Are there any SEALs out there willing to make a different kind of sacrifice for their country?

If not a vet, then a CEO. Heh, maybe a CEO of one of those eeeeeevil oul companies creating all those jobs out there in North Dakota. If the Dems are going to double down on the Communism, we should double down on the Capitalism.

bitsy on July 31, 2012 at 2:32 PM

PappyD61 on July 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Thanks? Glad I wasn’t planning on watching this tonight or anything.

Geesh.

lorien1973 on July 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Aaaaargh. I am way more upset about finding out about this than I thought I would be. Normally I don’t care for spoilers, but for some reason this is upsetting.

Abby Adams on July 31, 2012 at 2:34 PM

joey24007 on July 31, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Biden still checks his phone during the day to see if he will be running again in 2012.joey24007 on July 31, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Biden still checks his phone to see if anyone
with a “slight Indian accent” is calling…..

ToddPA on July 31, 2012 at 2:50 PM

1) I guarantee I’ll find out on Twitter first
2) I’ll take the free Romney/_____ bumper sticker
3) Not looking forward to the hundreds of emails

nicktjacob on July 31, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Doughboy on July 31, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Check with your provider, so many upgraded to the 4 when it was released that they are practically giving away refurbed 3gs’s.

slickwillie2001 on July 31, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I bet there will be no love for all three of us Windows Phone users…

I feel your pain. WP7 kicks ass, but gets no love. Respect is earned I guess.

Woody on July 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM

They should send out a few announcements as test samples.

Other sorts of info that would be fun to receive in advance of others.

so-notbuyingit on July 31, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Because ya just can’t have enough hokey techno-bullshit when you’re campaigning…

mojo on July 31, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I demand my share of those gold medals. They didn’t do it on their own. Someone made those alarm clocks that got them up in the dark at 4am. Someone built that car that got them to the gym/pool at 4:30am. The taxpayers built the roads they drove to the gym/pool. Someone built the equipmaent they trained with for years and years, 6-8 hours per day. I now demand my share of the gold!

rjoco1 on July 31, 2012 at 4:22 PM

OMG – another example of Romney trying too hard to be one of the
“cook” kids!

Amjean on July 31, 2012 at 4:27 PM

That was supposed to be “cool” kids – can’t quite get in the
habit of using reading glasses – LOL

Amjean on July 31, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Doughboy on July 31, 2012 at 1:40 PM

My wife and I were at that rally. It was awesome!!!!

Bitter Clinger on July 31, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Hey finally something I can speak on since important in cellphone sales. A text is still better than an app. Only about 30-40% of cell phone users use smartphone and you can just delete the app. With a text about 99% of the phones on the market accept text and its not as simple to de enroll but it is crazy how fast cell phone technology has grew. There wasn’t even an iPhone back in 2008. Its exciting to think were well be in this industry in another four years.

Politricks on July 31, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Is that the 3am phone call Hillary was looking for?

right2bright on July 31, 2012 at 5:32 PM

For his sake, let’s hope that whoever is in charge of this rollout knows how to spell.

ButterflyDragon on July 31, 2012 at 5:34 PM

That was supposed to be “cool” kids – can’t quite get in the
habit of using reading glasses – LOL

Amjean on July 31, 2012 at 4:27 PM

You have to admit it was very funny the first way. LOL! : )

Bmore on July 31, 2012 at 6:41 PM

PALIN! YES!

Bulletchaser on July 31, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Now wouldn’t that be something! A bolt of lightning out of the blue to say the least. Folks on both side of the aisle would walk around dazed for hours afterward. Of course, paramedics will have to rush to bluegill’s house immediately after that announcement. Hopefully her loved ones will have removed any sharp objects from the house before then.

Tarnsman on July 31, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Romney doing something Obama would do. What a stark contrast. We don’t need Romney as Obama’s second term!

The Nerve on August 1, 2012 at 12:47 AM