Quotes of the day

posted at 10:50 pm on July 31, 2012 by Allahpundit

President Obama told supporters at a campaign event in New York City Monday night that, if the election were held today, he would win.

“So the upshot is if the election were held today, I think it would be close, but I think we’d win,” Obama said.

Noting that there were 99 days left until the election, Obama added: “If I can say that every single day for the next 99 days, then we will be able to embark on the next phase of this journey.”

***

Looking at the polls in this context, the worry should be clear: despite significantly outspending Romney, Obama has gotten no separation from him. Nor is it just Democratic spending that has assailed Romney. He weathered a long grueling primary, during which he was the constant target of all challengers.

Over this prolonged pummeling, Romney has not simply endured, he is even with the incumbent. Shouldn’t the incumbent Obama, who faced no primary and was able to save, focus, and control massively more resources, have opened up a lead? Has Obama taken his best shot, while Republicans are still waiting to throw theirs?…

The realization should be emerging that Obama was not really that strong in 2008, when he massively outspent a disadvantaged opponent. And he is even weaker now — despite an early and significant spending advantage — when he will be unable to financially overwhelm a stronger opponent. The questions Democrats must be asking is: Has Obama already peaked? And can he hold on just long enough?

***

The goal is to drive up Romney negatives. The payoff the campaign hopes for is that voters who would never vote for Mr. Obama will prefer to stay home rather than vote for that rich so-and-so Romney. The White House strategy is a “shrink-the-electorate” strategy. Team Obama will play the Mormon card at some point too. Count on it…

With “you didn’t build that” going viral, Team Obama at least senses trouble and reportedly is looking for a positive message. But what message? Stay the course? What course? For and against gay marriage? For and against fossil fuels? More Solyndras? More trillion-dollar deficits? A recovery more halting and uncertain the longer Mr. Obama presides over it?

Mitt Romney has been getting a lot of advice: Don’t just stand there, do something (preferably not utter a gaffe). But maybe Mr. Romney is being shrewd. Maybe, given his own less-than-scintillating public-relations skills, just standing there is the right strategy as Mr. Obama flails after a theme for his presidency all the way to Election Day. Maybe the cool, sure-footed Mr. Obama is capable of beating himself after all. Could it be that in selecting Mr. Romney, with his very particular kind of baggage, Republicans picked exactly the candidate best suited to bring out the worst in our president?

***

Democrats are betting that when the final moment of choosing comes, their base will show up – with some help from the Obama campaign’s extensive, costly field apparatus. But there are indications of a deeper and, for Obama supporters, more alarming malaise among the core groups that made Obama president.

“Democrats are significantly less likely now (39 percent) than they were in the summers of 2004 and 2008 to say they are ‘more enthusiastic about voting than usual’ in the coming presidential election. Republicans are more enthusiastic now than in 2008, and the same as in 2004,” Gallup pollster Jeffrey M. Jones wrote last week. “If Democrats do not close the enthusiasm gap between now and Election Day, it would put Obama’s re-election chances in serious jeopardy.”…

The Democratic donor fatigue is amply documented – Wall Street donors, centrists, business-minded ambidextrous givers who were staples of the Bill Clinton era generally feel poorly treated by the current White House. Obama’s lack of interest in so-called “donor maintenance” is also well known – he has little appetite for the schmoozing that his Democratic predecessor did. And the repeated, and heated, rhetoric about Wall Street and the financial services sector has caused real and likely sustained damage for Democrats.

Those are the donors who would be the likeliest to give to a super PAC, but the White House discouraged such giving for months, frowning on the Citizens United decision that paved the way for such profligate single-source donations. Yet the bigger problem is that massive numbers of low-dollar donors have also not returned to the fold yet.

***

So it’s with that skepticism in mind that I offer, not a prediction, but a flat pre-election assessment: If President Barack Obama is to win, he is going to have to overcome a set of numbers that no incumbent President, or incumbent party, has ever managed to surmount…

The core question for many voters—“Are you generally satisfied with the country’s direction, or has the U.S. gone off on the wrong track”—gets a 32.7-60.7 negative answer, according to the RealClearPolitics average. Generally, an incumbent party needs to have at least a 35% positive response to this question to win the election, says the Gallup Organization…

Now, try this as a thought exercise. Forget who is running, what the latest gaffe of the day is, who is outraged and what latest insult to what group has been perpetrated by the candidate or his staff. Ignore whom you’re rooting for, and just look at those numbers with the ice-cold heart of a bean counter.

What you would conclude, I think, is that there is no way an incumbent President could get re-elected given these current numbers.

***

If self-interest and self-righteousness are at the heart of the Republican Party today, cowardice lies too close to the spine of the Democrats. While Republicans show extraordinary hubris by harnessing minority rule on virtually every issue with just the threat of a filibuster, Senate Democrats show extraordinary fearfulness in enabling them. In the past, Democrats spoke openly of poverty, a word seldom heard today even though Americans of every race and color are sharing a rapid descent down the economic ladder. While the president has begun to speak effectively in the past several months about the economic distress of working- and middle-class families, on the major issues he too often uses the bully pulpit to bully the truth…

Obama may be reelected by a public that has nowhere else to turn. Perhaps freed of the constraints imposed by having to raise a billion dollars to finance his campaign, he will reveal a true self of which we’ve seen glimmers. One who will speak forthrightly to the American public and be unafraid to take on the perpetrators of economic crimes that have devastated American families; the perpetrators of myths about “clean coal,” which the president instead repeats even as the industry rains fire on America’s breadbasket; or the perpetrators of the record foreclosures on longtime homeowners who have become collateral damage in the war on the middle class.

We can only hope that in his heart, Obama can truly feel the pain, sadness and fear of ordinary Americans, because it’s not hard to imagine that inside the chest of his opponent is a cavity waiting to be filled.

***

Via the Daily Caller.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

I know I said goodnight and all but saw this on Drudge…

Heeeerrre we go….(idiots lsm)

MontanaMmmm on August 1, 2012 at 2:25 AM

SparkPlug on August 1, 2012 at 2:10 AM

You’re outta control. LOL

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Hellfire, I had to reply to a couple of emails. Did I miss out on sex talk? Crap I always miss out. ; )

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:27 AM

MontanaMmmm on August 1, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Belated Goodnight, Montana!!

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:29 AM

MontanaMmmm on August 1, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Goodnight Montana!

thatsafactjack on August 1, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Or was it more like pillow talk?

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Any interest in Brazilian jiu-jitsu ?

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:06 AM

No, but because it’s so popular nowadays, we are taught how to defend against it.

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:25 AM

I thought he was kidding. Well since you know those moves how about defense against a Scottish pike or Irish poker? :)

arnold ziffel on August 1, 2012 at 2:30 AM

As Mayor Doubtfire continues his never ending war (and Term of Office) against everything Bad for You, there are really some things bad for you, Mayor Mike…like crime.

BlaxPac on August 1, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Nite, all…

Gohawgs on August 1, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Night, Hawgs!

(Sheesh, I’m so far behind tonight!)

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Ooops I used the wrong link on that last one. I’d better slow down.

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Axe on August 1, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Night, Axe. Take care!

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Good Night Gohawgs, Sleep Well.

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:27 AM

WAS there sex talk? I hadn’t noticed.

thatsafactjack on August 1, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Goodnight, Axe. Sleep well.

thatsafactjack on August 1, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Goodnight, Gohawgs! Sleep well.

thatsafactjack on August 1, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Oh , something tells me the morning crew is gonna enjoy this part of the thread. We went from hating to mating in just a very short time. Schweet. Must be something in the water. Say, this isn’t water. WTH!

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:37 AM

WAS there sex talk? I hadn’t noticed.

thatsafactjack on August 1, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Don’t look at me Jackie I was on the phone or emailing or something LOL!

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:32 AM

What a beautiful song. I love Julie London’s voice.

thatsafactjack on August 1, 2012 at 2:39 AM

arnold ziffel on August 1, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Can’t stop laughing. Well, there’s the fish Scottish pike and then there’s the weapon Scottish pike. Obviously, I would defend a bit differently between the two.

Seriously, for the weapon, I’d be up a creek. Unless I had one of our similar weapons.

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:39 AM

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Its tough, Once on the mat it can be a quick hard slog.

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:40 AM

What a beautiful song. I love Julie London’s voice.

thatsafactjack on August 1, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Yes, I always have liked her stuff. Very under rated talent. Great Lady!

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:32 AM

What a beautiful song. I love Julie London’s voice.

thatsafactjack on August 1, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Ditto

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Well I guess its time for me to crash. I’ll leave you with this since its where I was. LOL!

Good Night All.

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Goodnight, Bmore. Its been a pleasure here at poolside. Sleep well.

thatsafactjack on August 1, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Thats two I linked wrong. I must be tired. Sorry meant it to be this one.

Good Night Again All.

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Its tough, Once on the mat it can be a quick hard slog.

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Exactly. That’s why it’s so important to learn how to defend against it. Brazilian jiu-jitsu is all about getting the opponent down on the mat. Once they accomplish that, you’re in a pretty bad situation. The good news is that style does leave them open to some rather nasty counter moves, as long as you execute those moves as they are coming in at you.

I’m not even sure that paragraph made sense. Sorry. lol

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Goodnight, Bmore. Its been a pleasure here at poolside. Sleep well.

thatsafactjack on August 1, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Thanks for the drinks Jackie. ; )

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Goodnight, B. Have a great Wednesday!

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:48 AM

I’m not even sure that paragraph made sense. Sorry. lol

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:46 AM

No it made total sense. Mat work has to be clever or it can be over quickly. ; Night 4Grace, Pleasant Dreams.

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Thanks, TX. YES, the true learning actually begins at black belt. Our specific alliance stays VERY true to the U.S. founder’s philosophy. The founder is from Okinawa. He actually just passed away last month.

Are you a lifelong student??

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Once you are a student of Karate, you are always one, the emphasis on “student”. While I got my Black Belt at an early age and taught Karate for a while, which helped me pay for law school and other indecencies, I am nowhere near where the real artists in K are. There are Black Belts and then there are Black Belts.

TXUS on August 1, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Ah, such a great song. So few can do it justice.

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:50 AM

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Goodnight, Grace. I’m out, too. Its been a pleasure to see you again. Again, congratulations on that Brown belt. Its quite an accomplishment! See you soon.

thatsafactjack on August 1, 2012 at 2:51 AM

There are Black Belts and then there are Black Belts.

TXUS on August 1, 2012 at 2:49 AM

So true. We’re having a workshop & public demo weekend in Sept. Some of the really scary-good black belts are flying in. Can’t wait to see them again.

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:56 AM

adios: vaya con dios
Fred

jrsrigmvr on August 1, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Night, Jackie! Good to see you too!

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Night, Fred. Hope it’s a restful one.

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Seeing as I still have work to do, I should head out, too.

Goodnight, all!

(And a special goodnight to Sherm!)

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 3:01 AM

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Have fun, and good night.

TXUS on August 1, 2012 at 3:06 AM

KWR Sending love your way. xo

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 3:15 AM

For any thinking American, this is the stuff of nightmares.

Pull the lever for (R), please please PLEASE.

Even if you’re not crazy about Romney, just think what a 2nd term Obarmy presidency would look like. Ojugears without the politics is a scary thing to me. I’m not really into the Marxism/Communism Shazizzle.

Save our nation and disinfect Congress.

The R party machine is disappointing at times, but look at the alternative.

I beg you. Please vote for Mitt Romney and PLEASE vote for your Republican Senate candidate. It is crucial.

Of course, it goes without saying, hopefully, that this will include pulling the trigger for your (R) Representative as well.

The stakes couldn’t be higher.

hillbillyjim on August 1, 2012 at 3:15 AM

P.S. Hey, Bmore, I got to see the legendary Lynyrd Skynyrd once again over in Kingsport TN, for $15.00. Can you believe it?

Fifteen smackers for the best southern rock band in God’s creation, with The Allman Brothers running a close second.

Wow.

I got to watch the Rossington/Collins Band rock out leading into a Skynyrd show in Charlotte, NC years ago. It was an all day thing, and filled with huge Southern Rock biggies. At the time, they wouldn’t even sing the words to Free Bird == they just played the music, and had Ronnie Van Zant’s hat on the top of the mic’ stand.

They did it over in Kingsport differently, and you have to give Ronnie’s brother some huge props; he wore it out. He hit every note, and the Gee Tar was flippin’ crazy. Amazing is an understatement.

You seem to be a music aficionado, so I thought I’d throw that at ya.

I have to give credit to the organizers over at Kingsport, TN, again, for giving us poor folks a chance to have big fun for small change. It wasn’t too long ago that me and the pretty half got to see Leann Rimes for FIVE BUCKS! A coupla years before that, .38 Special did two sets because Eddie Money had a throat problem. Yes — two sets for $5.00!; and that was after they had to come back after the fire marshal shut it down for a while because of a thunder-boomer rolling through.

If you ever get the chance, check out Kingsport, TN, FunFest. It’s the best deal going, and no, I’m not getting paid for promoting them. It’s just something that the broke folks like me need to know.

Check this out.

Later, Tater.

hillbillyjim on August 1, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Shouldn’t be too difficult for the harbinger of all that hope and change.

mkenorthshore on August 1, 2012 at 3:55 AM

the moaning joe crew going insane over the new quinipiac/nyt/cbs/bs poll which shows romney up by 6 in florida. obama soon to start attacting romney on being weak on the deficit.

the libs are amazed that romney is just being a punching bag. he sees the punches coming and he can’t block them. now obama has the cojones to attack mitt on the deficit. LOL LOL

grow a pair mitt PICK SARAH!!!!!

renalin on August 1, 2012 at 6:30 AM

barnicle pulls out a question from the poll which asks if mitt/ obama were president would their financial policies make a difference.

there was no difference between the candidates. barnicle took this as a bad omen for romney

renalin on August 1, 2012 at 6:36 AM

FOX & Friends took Harry Reid to the woodshed this morning over his desperate claim about Romney’s taxes.

And they’re not the only ones.

Calling BS on Reid’s Bain tax claims

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 6:41 AM

capehart-people can’t trust mitt because he won’t show his tax returns….

PUHLEEZE

cmsinaz on August 1, 2012 at 6:45 AM

mitt performed poorly according to the mj crew….

continuing the wh talking points…

msdnc puppets

cmsinaz on August 1, 2012 at 6:47 AM

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 6:41 AM

bs indeed

cmsinaz on August 1, 2012 at 6:48 AM

O/T: See y’all at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Today’s the day! My take.

kingsjester on August 1, 2012 at 6:49 AM

I wonder if Joe realizes how stoopid he looks to folks in the Heartland?

kingsjester on August 1, 2012 at 6:50 AM

4Grace on August 1, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Have fun, and good night.

TXUS on August 1, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Good morning, Grace! Have you ever gone to the World Championships in Little Rock? Oh, that is GREAT fun watching the black belts compete. Talk about a motivating experience!

herm2416 on August 1, 2012 at 6:50 AM

O/T: See y’all at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Today’s the day! My take.

kingsjester on August 1, 2012 at 6:49 AM

So, I have to stand in those interminable lines again today? Lolz, I been eating too much chickn…

OmahaConservative on August 1, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Romney team released another 30 second ad this morning to coincide with the boy king’s Ohio visit. Good move.

Dream

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 6:55 AM

OmahaConservative on August 1, 2012 at 6:54 AM

LOL. I’m sure the cows appreciate it.

kingsjester on August 1, 2012 at 6:56 AM

DRUDGE: Romney jumps to 20-point advantage among white voters…

Revenge of the Bitter Clingers

petefrt on August 1, 2012 at 6:58 AM

And the hogs, kj. I am a big fan of pork chops…

OmahaConservative on August 1, 2012 at 6:59 AM

OmahaConservative on August 1, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Whachoo talkin’ ’bout, Willis? Remember, I’m an ol’ Memphis boy. I wouldn’t mind leftover barbeque ribs for breakfast.

kingsjester on August 1, 2012 at 7:00 AM

kingsjester on August 1, 2012 at 6:49 AM

heading over there with mr cmsinaz….

cmsinaz on August 1, 2012 at 7:04 AM

petefrt on August 1, 2012 at 6:58 AM

just a bunch of racists doncha know

cmsinaz on August 1, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Fruit of the pig is my friend. It’s gonna’ be 103 by noon today. No rain in sight and the earth is cracked and brown…

OmahaConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:05 AM

cmsinaz on August 1, 2012 at 7:04 AM

It will be interesting to see the coverage given to Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day…or rather, the lack of it.

kingsjester on August 1, 2012 at 7:07 AM

OmahaConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:05 AM

dang it….sorry to hear that OC…

cmsinaz on August 1, 2012 at 7:07 AM

kingsjester on August 1, 2012 at 7:07 AM

crickets will definitely chirping…

cmsinaz on August 1, 2012 at 7:07 AM

cmsinaz on August 1, 2012 at 7:07 AM

I quit watering the lawn as it is futile…

OmahaConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:11 AM

OmahaConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:11 AM

cmsinaz on August 1, 2012 at 7:12 AM

mj crew just giddy about obama’s lead in a few state polls….

rose colored glasses firmly in the place

cmsinaz on August 1, 2012 at 7:14 AM

But it sure helps to face a candidate as uncomfortable in his own skin, as likely to say by accident what he really means and as wrong for the times as Mitt Romney.

Because some Obama-sucking sh*t-for-brains writes this in the New York Times, it must be true. Where is your evidence for any of that? Oh, that’s right…evidence is for schmucks.

SKYFOX on August 1, 2012 at 7:18 AM

God help us if this demagogue is elected to a second term.

zoyclem on August 1, 2012 at 7:19 AM

the humidity has been brutal but getting a nice rain this morning.

renalin on August 1, 2012 at 7:26 AM

i love it how joe now all of a sudden is all about “we conservatives don’t like mitt”. what a scumbag. he couldn’t get his mouth off mitts nether regions during the primaries.

renalin on August 1, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Will inthemiddle go and try to protest, today? I hope so. He/she/it is in for a rude awakening.

kingsjester on August 1, 2012 at 7:33 AM

I was just looking at the new Quinnipiac/CBS/NYT poll.

As a native Ohioian who has lived in Florida for 40+ years let me just say this…

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

/rant off

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 7:33 AM

is it oversampled with dems?

cmsinaz on August 1, 2012 at 7:35 AM

And now there is the end-point of the Warren/Obama ethos: I didn’t lift those weights, Kim Jong Il lifted them (via Insty and The Dignified Rant).

Remember, this IS the end-point of that system of belief.

ajacksonian on August 1, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Is it true that Ted Cruz served Chik-fil-A at his victory party last night? Awesome!

We’ll be heading there this evening for the first time. It wont be the last!

Naturally Curly on August 1, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Uggghhh. It’s already 75 degrees and it;s only 6:39 AM…

OmahaConservative on August 1, 2012 at 7:39 AM

is it oversampled with dems?

cmsinaz on August 1, 2012 at 7:35 AM

PARTY IDENTIFICATION
Republican 27%
Democrat 36
Independent 32
Other/DK/NA 5

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 7:45 AM

thanks….trying to make him look awesome as usual

cmsinaz on August 1, 2012 at 7:48 AM

cmsinaz on August 1, 2012 at 7:35 AM

PARTY IDENTIFICATION
Republican 27%
Democrat 36
Independent 32
Other/DK/NA 5

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 7:45 AM

The above is the demographics on the FL polling.

Ohio is as follows:

PARTY IDENTIFICATION
Republican 27%
Democrat 35
Independent 32
Other/DK/NA 5

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Flora Duh on August 1, 2012 at 7:50 AM

thanks…

i wish for once the lsm will admit how much these polls are skewed….just once…or at least a gop talking head call them out on touting them when they are so skewed

cmsinaz on August 1, 2012 at 7:53 AM

O/T…I just saw this article linked from RCP. Though this may mean more to those of us in Michigan that suffered through 8 years of this woman, this needs to make it in the Daily Headlines…I’d love to hear the comments.

moo on August 1, 2012 at 8:04 AM

they finally metioned the Cruz victory. no mention of Sarah. but they know. you betcha!

renalin on August 1, 2012 at 8:15 AM

For all of the blather of Obama about looking out for the middle class–with his taxing shell game, for example–he is determined to restructure the country into regions which serve cities and their inner rings at the expense of suburbia, the enclave of the middle class. Stanley Kurtz explains the Obama long-range plan of redistributing wealth and herding people into cities or paying for their shortfalls out of “fairness.”

onlineanalyst on August 1, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I agree with Dick Morris, this will turn out to be a 52-41 election in favor of Romney. So, the message is, vote, vote, and vote. Pay no attention to the Media, they are trying to dis-spirit Republicans.

jjnco73 on August 1, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Oh, something tells me the morning crew is gonna enjoy this part of the thread. We went from hating to mating in just a very short time. Schweet. Must be something in the water. Say, this isn’t water. WTH!

Bmore on August 1, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Oh dear, making some really strong coffee this morning. There’s a basket full of various brands of aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and acetaminophen and a few biscuits and jam to soften the landing. Help yourself.

Going to Chick-fil-A today for the first time since moving from Texas 10 years ago. With all the thought police, fascist talk, I found one about a half an hour away. I didn’t know there were so many already in the Chicago area. Hubby’s going to the one by his work for lunch. Thanks for pointing the way to the chicken, Tiny Dancer.

Fallon on August 1, 2012 at 8:48 AM