Harry Reid: This might not be true, but some Bain investor who I won’t name told me Romney didn’t pay income taxes for 10 years

posted at 4:45 pm on July 31, 2012 by Allahpundit

Sounds solid. Mitt Romney, who’s been running for political office for 20 years now, decided he’d gamble those prospects and risk time in a federal pen for tax evasion in order to save a few million dollars that he doesn’t need.

And he made this decision year after year, for 10 years.

By the way, some random guy on the Internet told me Obama was born in Kenya. Now, do I know that’s true? Well, I’m not certain. But let me just toss it out there.

“His poor father must be so embarrassed about his son,” Reid said, in reference to George Romney’s standard-setting decision to turn over 12 years of tax returns when he ran for president in the late 1960s.

Saying he had “no problem with somebody being really, really wealthy,” Reid sat up in his chair a bit before stirring the pot further. A month or so ago, he said, a person who had invested with Bain Capital called his office.

“Harry, he didn’t pay any taxes for 10 years,” Reid recounted the person as saying.

“He didn’t pay taxes for 10 years! Now, do I know that that’s true? Well, I’m not certain,” said Reid. “But obviously he can’t release those tax returns. How would it look?

“You guys have said his wealth is $250 million,” Reid went on. “Not a chance in the world. It’s a lot more than that. I mean, you do pretty well if you don’t pay taxes for 10 years when you’re making millions and millions of dollars.”

No surprise that Reid would smear Romney so casually. He specializes in these tactics during presidential campaigns. In 2008, he made more noise about McCain’s temper being a sign of possible derangement than any other major Democrat. (He also insisted that he couldn’t stand McCain as part and parcel of the demonization effort, even though the two had been known to socialize.) He’s an unusually nasty character, even by normal political standards, when he wants to be; gratuitously accusing George Romney of being disappointed in his son is simply S.O.P. But he does have a strategy here: Pull an accusation of criminality straight out of his ass and hope it gets enough media play that Romney feels obliged to respond. Either Mitt will start to sweat and release his returns, as Democrats have demanded, in order to disprove Reid’s charge or he’ll sit tight and the smear will circulate online, with Romney’s refusal to disclose the documents taken as “proof” that Reid is right. In that respect, it’s not that different from Birtherism. It just so happens that you’ve got the Senate majority leader pushing this, not some commenter at dKos or wherever.

Exit question via Philip Klein: “How would ‘a person who had invested with Bain Capital’ know about Romney’s personal tax returns anyway?”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

They are never solicited.
But let old Zippy have his fun. He’s not interested in the truth here.

Badger40 on August 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Shows how much you know, Badger40. The LDS demanded I turn over my tax returns, but my Catholic priest said I didn’t have to.

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 11:40 AM

ZippyZ on August 1, 2012 at 1:02 AM

You don’t know much about taxes…or tax rates…do you?

Didn’t we just go through this with the “warren buffet pays lower taxes (rates) than his secretary” nonsense?

Of course you’re upset that Mitt has more money than you. And of course you word your innuendo carefully to imply dishonesty (rather like a leftist would).
Your deeply-felt “concern” is, however, duly noted — and filed in the proper circular container.

Solaratov on August 1, 2012 at 12:19 PM

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Bwahahaha!
Those damned Mormons! It’s a plot to take over the world!
Mwahahahaha!

Badger40 on August 1, 2012 at 12:46 PM

swinia sutki on August 1, 2012 at 11:40 AM

You lie like reid!
No one is ever asked for a copy of their taxes.
Dide I miss something in a prior post?
NO ONE!

Bambi on August 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM

The oval office has Romney’s tax returns sitting on their desk!
He can’t use anything in them because they can’t tip their hand. They want to make fun of his charitable contributions. They want to go after his Church.
They are evil!

Bambi on August 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM

from ZippyZ last night at 7:21 pm

The budget impasse is over…check the news.

Zippy thinks the 6 month continuing resolution replaces the Budget Reconcilliation Act of August 2011. It doesn’t and that is why Linda Solis is having a cow about the WARN Act requirements.

In regards to Romney’s taxes being vetted…by whom? I guess you mean McCain because he looked them over supposedly. He vetted Sarah Palin…case closed. But seriously, I doubt McCain poured through too many of the 200 page tax returns.

Yoohoo Zippy, any comment on GE paying no taxes on the $14 billion profit in 2010 that was spelled out on their 57,000 page tax return while Jeff Immelt sat in Obama’s administration?

Romney has a 100 million dollar IRA.

I bet you wish did to Zippy. What’s your point?

Romney most likely has dozens of “legal” loopholes that ordinary people can not take advantage of.

yep, I said as much.

Many exotic tax instruments by the super rich have been declared illegal many years after they have been used.

Name one Zippy. Did you mean the laws were changed? That’s different lightweight.

Romney’s unique type of career and use of aggressive foreign accounts allowed him to structure compensation that allowed him to dodge taxes.

Who wouldn’t use the law to their advantage? yore losing ground again.

It just looks bad to the average American.

Like I said in my first response to you. Class warfare is all your side has.

Sleep tight Zippy, I know you were up late.

DanMan on August 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Bambi on August 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM

it’s tying them in knots and we’re enjoying the hell out of that

Re: the church. Romney is loading up on RevWright and his influence on Obama and will have a full throated response to an attack on Harry Reid’s religion. The New Party stuff is coming out right now.

DanMan on August 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Someone told me that men who wear mom jeans, throw like girls, and wave their fists like a little feather dusters when they jog down the stairs of Airforce One have questionable sexual pasts, despite the appeal of their wives’ toned upper arms.

Is it true? Well, I’m not certain.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 1, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I let this one slip by.
But it shows you how deranged and insipidly stupid so many liberals are.
I have never been asked by the LDS church for my tax returns.
They’ve never asked me for anything. Even donations. During services a plate is NEVER passed around. EVER.
There are donation boxes with printed enveloped that have receipts attached to them for donations.
They are never solicited.
But let old Zippy have his fun. He’s not interested in the truth here.

Badger40 on August 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Not true…I am very interested in the truth. I do know Mormons are not allowed to participate in certain Church activities if their tithing is not paid. I was wrong about Mormons having to submit their tax returns. Evidently, the Bishop has a private meeting with every member once a year called a “tithing settlement”. He asks members whether they are paid up on their tithes. It is up to the members to be honest with their responses to the questioning. Everything is duly noted and documented in the Church records. Romney was a Bishop in the Mormon Church at one time so he was responsible that every Church member paid their fair share of the Church tax…er…tithe. If I am wrong about any of this, please correct me.

ZippyZ on August 1, 2012 at 1:26 PM

ZippyZ on August 1, 2012 at 1:26 PM

mornin’ Dumbshine!

Care to comment on this?

DanMan on August 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Not true…I am very interested in the truth.

ZippyZ on August 1, 2012 at 1:26 PM

No, you’re not. You’re a lie-beral.

You’ve been informed in no uncertain terms that the LDS church does not ask for its members tax returns. PERIOD.

The church does ask its members to pay 10% of their income, but they do not enforce it.

Asking for members tax returns or other financial information would be a political hand grenade. It’d be creepy as all hell and used and be portrayed outside the church as a control mechanism and the sign of a “religion” that is only interested in money.

Alberta_Patriot on August 1, 2012 at 1:48 PM

DanMan on August 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I will try to educate the ignorant. Exotic tax dodges are only “illegal” once they are challenged in court by the IRS. Here are a couple of examples:

Who knows what is in Romney’s returns.

ZippyZ on August 1, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Please Zippy

not going through FT’s firewall right now but the second link…

In the suit, filed Aug. 3, the plaintiffs say KPMG knew the shelter was an illegal tax-avoidance device that should have been registered with the IRS.

The guys suing KPMG claimed they (KPMG) broke the law AT THE TIME of the transaction. KPMG was negotiating with the IRS to reduce their exposure to more lawsuits they knew they would lose. How did it turn out? I bet KPMG lost, not the “exotic tax dodgers”.

You’re a lousy troll.

DanMan on August 1, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Harry Reid is a despicable liar. 1st, who at Bain would know that? 2nd, Harry hasn’t released HIS OWN tax records. Harry’s shady land deals would come out if he did. He’s a shameless crook and liar. Thanks for cursing the rest of us with this piece of garbage, Nevadans.

bob77 on August 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Please Zippy

not going through FT’s firewall right now but the second link…

You’re a lousy troll.

DanMan on August 1, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Last post…too many ignorant replies wasting my time. Tax cheats hired KMPG to avoid paying taxes with an exotic tax avoidance scheme. The tax cheats were busted by the IRS and paid their back taxes and penalties. KMPG was selling an illegal tax shelter, and rich tax cheats were hiring them to cheat Uncle Sam. KMPG and all their dirty lying tax cheat customers got busted. A good day for America!

ZippyZ on August 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM

‘yo Zippy, your example continues to show how dreadful your links are. Right next to the original story are the follow up links stating KPMG paid $450+ million in fines to the IRS and lo and behold two months later paid another $200+ million to the plantiffs in the class action suit.

Prosecuted by Alberto Gonzales of all the reprobates even! Pick up your game.

DanMan on August 1, 2012 at 3:10 PM

bob77 on August 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I understand harry is involved up to his eyeballs in the green energy companies. His buddies who used to work for him are involved with the companies, so they give him money, he gets them tax payer’s money and they go belly up!
Man I hope there is an investigation, after they throw all those corrupt attorneys in the doj, and nanci and hairy and the rest of the sycophants are charged and thrown out!

Bambi on August 1, 2012 at 3:37 PM

we are about to have one of the finest practicing attorneys in the US take a senate seat and Cornyn is a former chief of the Texas Supreme Court. It may just happen Bambi.

DanMan on August 1, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Better exit question: Isn’t accusing Romney of a felony “slander per se?” I don’t care if Romney is a public figure, Reid is really stepping in it when he makes accusations of criminal conduct like this.

Conservative in NOVA on August 1, 2012 at 3:55 PM

DanMan on August 1, 2012 at 3:43 PM

From your mouth – to G-d’s ear!

I have to tell you I go around my day with a prayer always in my heart, and a little pleading on my lips as well.

Bambi on August 1, 2012 at 4:39 PM

How does Harry’s father feel about Harry? Somehow I think it really doesn’t matter, does it? I hope the voters in Nevada feel about him as I do – but I doubt it.

Fuquay Steve on August 1, 2012 at 4:40 PM

ZippyZ on August 1, 2012 at 1:26 PM

It’s called being Temple Worthy. And it is voluntary. But nobody asks for tax returns as proof. It’s like going to confession & lying. You could, but it’s your soul you’re messing with.
Same with a temple recommend.
I am not a temple worthy person. And this has done NOTHING to make me feel any less worthwhile in the LDS community.
I have never been pressured or made to feel bad about it.
So while your trollish concern is duly noted, perhaps you could fire up some outrage for ALL crooked politicians. Not just Republican ones.

Badger40 on August 1, 2012 at 5:36 PM

ZippyZ on August 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM

So none of this bothers you Zippo?:

Bambi on August 1, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Tell me Zippo, does it bother you that environmental groups, heavily involved with Democrats, fleece the taxpayer by abusing EAJA funds?
Did what Charlie Rangell did bother you?
And yet you focus on a rich guy releasing his tax returns which wouldn’t tell anyone anything.
You really need to get a grip.

Badger40 on August 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM

When someone making 20 million a year has a lower tax rate than someone making 50 thousand a year, something is not right.
ZippyZ on August 1, 2012 at 1:02 AM

You are right Zippy, it is much more fair if the 353 people that earned $20,000,000.00 – $49,999,999.00 (in 2009) were charged a higher tax rate than the 5,301,609 people that earned $50,000.00 to $54,999.99 (in 2009). I mean those 353 whose net compensation to the governement is $10,135,019,059.06, should say “Hey, us 353 should contribute more than those 5,301,609. There contribution to the government is $277,922,136,520.21. Raise our taxes so that our group of 353 can pay more than that large group of 5,301,609.”

Yeah, that seems fair.

TturnP on August 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I meant “their” not there

TturnP on August 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM

This senile old Bastard should be put away before he hurts himself, or worse yet, someone else!!

Jersey Dan on August 2, 2012 at 8:29 PM

If Reid’s sons aren’t embarrassed for their father then shame on them.

aloysiusmiller on August 2, 2012 at 11:37 PM