PPP: Cruz up 10 over Dewhurst

posted at 8:41 am on July 30, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The predicted tight race in the Republican runoff for the open US Senate seat in Texas may never appear.  According to a new PPP poll on the eve of the election, conservative favorite Ted Cruz has a ten-point lead over Lt. Governor David Dewhurst.  If Dewhurst is Texas toast, he can thank Texas tea:

PPP’s final poll of the Republican Senate runoff in Texas finds Ted Cruz opening up a 52-42 lead, an increase from our survey two weeks ago that found him ahead 49-44.

Cruz’s victory is driven by 4 things: the Tea Party, the enthusiasm of his supporters, a generational divide within the Texas Republican ranks, and the lack of regard the party base currently holds for Rick Perry.

Cruz is ahead by a whooping 75-22 margin with Tea Party  voters, more than making up for a 56-39 deficit to Dewhurst with voters who don’t consider themselves members of that movement. There has been too much of a tendency to ascribe any Republican primary upset over the last few years to Tea Party voters, but this is one case where it’s well justified.

Dewhurst wins among seniors by a healthy 17-point advantage, 56/39, but that’s where the good news ends.  Voter enthusiasm for Cruz is off the charts; he wins both the “very excited” group (by a whopping 30 points) and the “somewhat excited,” with a narrow 49/45 edge.  Cruz wins the other two age demos even more handily than Dewhurst wins seniors, with 18-45YOs breaking 60/33 to Cruz and 46-65YOs going 59/35 the same way.

If this holds up in tomorrow’s vote, it will leave a large amount of egg on Rick Perry’s face, while giving Sarah Palin yet another primary-fight triumph.  Perry endorsed Dewhurst, putting him at odds with the same Tea Party activists he tried to attract in the Republican presidential race.  Palin campaigned for Cruz, and the surge in Cruz’s standings will strengthen her influence within the GOP, at least in big Tea Party states.

If Cruz wins tomorrow’s runoff, he should handily win the open seat left by Kay Bailey Hutchison’s retirement.  In fact, Cruz’s strength among younger and more enthusiastic voters practically eliminates the one slim hope that Democrats had in this cycle to steal a Texas seat.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 11:21 AM

The base did not like McCain.

The base actually hates Mitt Romney.

McCain had a message and a conservative VP. Mitt has neither and is very unlikely to change that.

Idiots will still be voting for Obama.

Steveangell on July 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM

dip it in cider on July 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM

OK, dip…uh…dip. That pretty much says all I need to know about you.

cartooner on July 30, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Although Dewhurst had many more ads here on Dallas radio, they were all negative, while Cruz has been playing up himself as the anti-establishment candidate. Add to that the grassroots enthusiasm of the tea party, and that is prescription for a lopsided result tomorrow in a mid-summer special election. (Even on the first day of the early voting, there were a couple of tea party conservatives handing out example ballots)

phreshone on July 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I feel like Cruz is a slime ball. Can someone please explain to me why I should vote for Ted Cruz? What he has done for conservatism to forward the cause?…Are Texans really this gullible?

Texas will regret blindly following the rhetoric of this man.

dip it in cider on July 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM

You are apparently much more enlightened than those of us “blindly following rhetoric” and “gullible”. So, I’m open to your evaluation of Dewhurst’s conservative record of accomplishment, which he seems to have left out of his ugly ads.

ziggyville on July 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM

McCain had a message and a conservative VP.

Steveangell on July 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Yes dear, bless your heart.

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Living in Dallas county, we have had to endure the most hateful, sleazy ads from the Dewhurst campaign against Cruz. Sorry David, its not working and if anything, has hurt your cause. Cruz has taken on two chumps, Dewhurst and Obama and it is working. If elected, he will be do a great job and after seeing the debates, Cruz is Presidential material.

bhawknine on July 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM

This does NOT need to be a Palin fight. All that was said was Palin people shouldn’t get to the point that Palin made the election Cruz’s. He was popular and could win without her. But some of the more devout disciples have gone ballistic. I love Palin. Palin’s endorsement is very important. But it doesn’t make her a “king maker” by any means.

cartooner on July 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM

This does NOT need to be a Palin fight.

cartooner on July 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Oh, c’mon. If they last long enough all threads become a Palin fight.

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Now back to topic. I could be wrong but I thought Houston was Cruz’s base–it’s where he’s from– and Dallas was a Dewhurst stronghold. I’m a Houston native and live about 60 miles north and if this is Dewhurst’s stronhold, he’s in trouble!
Yesterday, I think I won 5 more votes for Cruz!

cartooner on July 30, 2012 at 11:47 AM

If you want to see a bit more of Ted Cruz, he was at FreePAC last week and gave a decent speech. Not in TX, but he seems a good flavor of a citizen representative, not a machine politician, and we could use a few more of those in DC to say the least.

ajacksonian on July 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I know, I know, it’s hopeless. I still like Palin in spite of her devotees.

cartooner on July 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

cartooner on July 30, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Both are based in the Houston area.

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Good on you, Lone Star State – Go for it!!!

Bob in VA on July 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Yes dear, bless your heart.

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Sorry guess you were not old enough to remember four years ago.

McCain had a message he was the Maverick and they really played it up.

Mitt has no message. He just is totally negative. Vote against Obama make me the new king I can do what he is doing a fine job at even better. Some message. /s

Steveangell on July 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I still like Palin in spite of her devotees.

cartooner on July 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Me too. Though they are almost as bad as the Mitt-bots.

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Steveangell on July 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Mavericky, now that’s a message.

You’re late for the short bus.

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 11:54 AM

This election is important to more than just Texans. We need more conservatives in the Senate and fewer RINO’s who go along to get along. Also, although Senators are national representatives voted for by their home state’s citizens, their political stands are a beacon for others seeking refuge from the destructive policies of progressives in their own states. Texas is not just a haven to run to but a model for other states to learn from. I am mostly satisfied with the conservative trend in my state, but if Indiana ever went the way of the left, I would like to know there is a place I could go where conservative principles are dominant and freedom is revered. A free Texas matters.

SKYFOX on July 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I thought McCain’s message was ‘I’m an ancient RINO with serious anger management issues’.

CorporatePiggy on July 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Mavericky, now that’s a message.

You’re late for the short bus.

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Sorry guess you are real young.

Your diaper dirty.

I mean you were the idiot who said McCain had no message.

Steveangell on July 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM

SKYFOX on July 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Exactly.

But we need one other thing. A messenger that is not a RINO.

John Bonehead needs to go.

McConnel need to go.

Mitt needs to lose or he will do all he can to destroy what the Tea Party is trying to do. He already is look at every thread. His people are spending far more time attacking the Tea Party than the Democrats.

Steveangell on July 30, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I hope Cruz clobbers dewhurst. So much for the power of slick Rick.Few can go up against Palin-Power and win. She’s the best.

rodguy911 on July 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I live just north of Houston in The Woodlands – I’m so tired of Dewhearst’s adds. He’s an establishment Republican just like McCain, Cheny and Mitt. These big government statist that masquerade around like conservatives are the problem. We can’t blame progressives and democrats for being liberal. But when a “conservative” politician supports and pushes quasi-liberal positions such as a payroll tax and amnesty they are the ones that helped us get to where we are today.

MoreLiberty on July 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM

SKYFOX on July 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

My sister lives in Texas and she really dislikes Perry. Says he is all about crony capitalism. You know him you do well. You don’t and you are punished. She also complains about his firing school teachers.

How do you see this?

Steveangell on July 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM

MoreLiberty on July 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM

We live in lubbock and the local USA channel ran the ‘Ted Cruz caused my son to commit suicide’ ad last. I almost threw something at the screen. Dewhurst is a parasitic bastard.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 30, 2012 at 12:07 PM

‘last night’.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 30, 2012 at 12:07 PM

That detestable suicide ad.

Ted had nothing to do with this what so ever.

He defended one of the people who did on a totally unrelated civil matter (breach of contract).

Steveangell on July 30, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Steveangell on July 30, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I understand the sentiment, but an Obama packed Supreme Court would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

cartooner on July 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I’ve lost a lot of respect for Perry, however, if Perry didn’t endorse Dewhurst and Dewhurst lost, Perry’s effectiveness as governor is almost nil. Texas Lt. Gov. is very powerful, almost but not quite as powerful as the governors’. And as has already been pointed out, Dewhurst’s 2nd choice behind senator is governor and it seems Perry would like to remain governor until 2016.
But, yes, I think the charge of crony capitalism might, might apply to Gov. Rick, but as much as I don’t care for Romney, Perry trying to smear him with “vulture capitalism” was disgraceful.

cartooner on July 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM

cartooner on July 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Impeachment will take care of that. That is the only way that America will actually change. Politicians have to know that there will be real consequences to malfeasance in office. I would hope that they would call Roberts up and force him to explain how the mandate can be a tax in one section of law but definitively not a tax in another. Congress has the right to do this it just does not. Obama could be impeached even after he left office. That impeachment could undo appoints like Kegan who wrote Obama Care then did NOT recuse herself. She needs to be impeached for that.

I would much rather see Obama impeached than voted out. It would send a much stronger message. I think it possible in a second term.

Steveangell on July 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM

A few things should be noted about PPP.

First, in the 2010 republican primary for Gov, PPP’s final poll a few days before the election showed Perry wouldn’t get anywhere near 50%. He won over 50%, and PPP was off by 11 points on Perry.

Second, after the primary, PPP showed Perry not beating White in the general.

Third, this 2012 final poll shows Cruz’s highest favorability (71%) coming from those who identified as very liberal, much higher than any conservative identification.

Fourth, the poll states that the group most influenced to support Palin’s endorsement is the self identified very liberal.

Fifth, the poll is of likely voters, but shows that there is 100% guaranteed turnout among every single person polled.

Sixth, the poll states that out of the people who have already voted between Dewhurst and Cruz, 4% of those stated they are undecided. ??????

Seventh, PPP did not ask which candidate the 665 polled people voted for in May, or if they even voted. If the poll contacted majority May Cruz voters, then you’ll get a heavy Cruz margin of victory in your results.

Just my 2 cents worth after digging through the details.

mcg0125 on July 30, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Steveangell on July 30, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Didn’t I hear you on the radio with Mark Levin about 2 weeks ago? Still got that plate in your head I see.

Marcus on July 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 30, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Dayum girl! You give em hell!

OT, hope you are getting your cyber status back on track:)

ToddPA on July 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM

If this holds up in tomorrow’s vote, it will leave a large amount of egg on Rick Perry’s face, while giving Sarah Palin yet another primary-fight triumph. Perry endorsed Dewhurst, putting him at odds with the same Tea Party activists he tried to attract in the Republican presidential race. Palin campaigned for Cruz, and the surge in Cruz’s standings will strengthen her influence within the GOP, at least in big Tea Party states.

Exactly!
This is a war between old line rinos and Tea Party Pats and we are kicking their asses.Just letting them know what is in store for them after we win in NOv.
First we take out the commies then the rinos.
If you are a McCain style rino beware!!

rodguy911 on July 30, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Steveangell on July 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM

That does make me older than you though.

I have been around long enough to know what four more years of 0bama, like you pine for, would be like.

You are among the top tier of ABR nutballs, and about the least intelligent.

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Seems to me lime no one has any actual points in favor of Cruz other than the rhetoric he attached to his name. Someone, enlighten me, please.

If Cruz was a conservative lawyer he would have case history to back up that claim. Fighting for things like gun ownership, free speech, etc. I don’t see that anywhere.

Cruz looking more and more like the blank slate of Obama which conservatives project all their hopes and dreams.

Someone, PLEASE, convince me to vote for Cruz with hard points, not just to vote against Dewhurst because of negative ads.

Regards.

dip it in cider on July 30, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Steveangell on July 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM

This turd just yesterday said we must reelect Obama so we can impeach him.

Gfy you transparent moron. You democrat retards have given no reason to vote for you so your game plan is to suppress voting for Romney.

Pathetic nitwits.

tom daschle concerned on July 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM

dip it in cider on July 30, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Smart people ignored you the first time you tried this hand wringing, others were more kind.

-You were given many reasons
-his record is easy enough to find
-this hasn’t been a stealth campaign
-the opposition’s desperate smears were shown to be false

You are disingenuous in the least to claim to be looking for a reason to vote for Cruz.

Yours is another pathetic attempt to put doubts in the minds of potential Cruz voters.

Carry on

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Pathetic nitwits.

tom daschle concerned on July 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM

But to watch these nutballs twist in the breeze is entertaining.

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Cozmo, for as much space and energy you wasted on your post, interesting that it does nothing to help Define Cruz as a conservative that I should vote for. In fact, there is plenty of blabber but no substance in your post, just an insult to me. Is this representative of most Cruz supporters? All filler, all rhetor ic, no substance. Seems much like Cruz himself, not unlike Prez O. Lawyer, no qualifications, plenty of rhetoric. Worked out great, didn’t it?

I find it funny that you can waste time posting over and over like this is your personal space, but you can’t be bothered to post any hard information in support of Cruz. Seems like if he was a good candidate there would be some achievements to point to, particular cases won, etc

dip it in cider on July 30, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Funny to see Steveanal defend McCain and then turn around and say that Romney needs to lose!!

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:54 PM

dip it in cider on July 30, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Yet you continue to whine about there not being a reason to vote for Cruz.

How ’bout VOTE FOR DEWHURST already.

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Again, you are wasting space and time Cosmo. Provide some points for Cruz or else either A he has none or B you are making Cruz supporters look like sh*t by being an ass and providing no reasons to vote for your guy when asked.

I am a Texan who will vote. Dewhurst has done a great job for TX and its interests. All the sudden I should toss that out for a no name no achievement lawyer with conservative rhetoric attached to his name?

Sure I would love to have someone more conservative than Dewhurst but taking a chance on a lawyer is not my idea of positive change. Again, please provide me with Cruz’s selling points and maybe I will vote for him… but it seems like his only selling points are “conservative” “grass roots” “tea party rock star”… those are not credentials or achievements my friends. That is rhetoric.

dip it in cider on July 30, 2012 at 2:05 PM

dip it in cider on July 30, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Yes dear, if you haven’t made up your mind by now, you are a low information voter who wouldn’t vote for a guy with a name like Cruz anyway.

Have fun at the Dewhurst victory party tomorrow night.

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Wow.. so if one don’t support Cruz, one is a racist? I hear that enough already from Obama and his ilk.

mcg0125 on July 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Dewhurst ran maybe the worst campaign I have ever seen. The over-the-top “Chinese” attack adds were absurdly non-sensical. And he inexplicably attacked Sarah Palin, Rand Paul, and the Tea Party instead of Obama. What were his advisors thinking?

ModerateMan on July 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM

So this is what it boils down to huh? Someone honestly asking for Cruz points and his supporters refuse to give any. Only insults. Nice.

dip it in cider on July 30, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Cruz doesn’t have a record but was endorsed by Sarah Palin, Rand Paul, and Ron Paul. Dewhurst has a big government record. That’s all I need to know. I’m voting for Cruz again tomorrow.

ModerateMan on July 30, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Not to mention Dewhurst’s record of womanizing would make Bill Cliton blush. I’m thinking Cruz won’t be caught banging a young lobbyist in the bathroom of a Sullivan’s steakhouse.

ModerateMan on July 30, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Only insults. Nice.

dip it in cider on July 30, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Since you started your hand wringing pap on the first page, that’s all you deserve.

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 2:34 PM

dip it in cider on July 30, 2012 at 2:05 PM

If you had been paying attention you’d know that there are plenty other Texans commenting here besides yourself and nearly all of them favor Ted Cruz. It’s also interesting that you don’t have anything to back up your claim that Dewhurst’s a conservative. I hear he was once but if so, he certainly isn’t now. Here’s a link for you: Texas Monthly talked to the people who worked with Dewhurst – members of the Tx Legislature – who nominated him to the top of the WORST list.

Eren on July 30, 2012 at 2:43 PM

LET ME SAY FIRST I AM NOT A DEWHURST “SUPPORTER”.

That being said, I have yet to see any credible points in support of Cruz. You would think they would be all over the place by now. Easy to recollect in memory or online somewhere. You know, they improved the lives of people somewhere or changed policy somewhere in a conservative way. Cant seem to find anything like that anywhere.

Usually if I vote FOR someone, it is because they have, you know, actual reasons to vote for them besides “the other guy is bad, try me out”.

If there really no valid points… no cases, no achievements… just words and speeches… why would I vote for that person? Just hoping that when his record does flesh out that it may be better than the alternative?

I dont vote AGAINST people, I vote FOR people and I need reasons to vote for Cruz. Dew has a record of overall positive achievement that was beneficial to all Texans.

I have not seen a detailed case made for voting Cruz, ANYWHERE. Not this blog, not any other blog, not in comments, nowhere. And I come here and ask on the eve of elections and not 1 Cruz supporter can give me any of Cruz positives without circle logic back to “Its ‘cuz of Dewhurst, Dewhurst is bad!”. Or “Sarah Palin told me to support him.”

You people arent even thinking logically. It’s the same mentality that got Obama elected. Try some deductive reasoning. THERE IS NO TED CRUZ. THERE IS NO POSITIVE RECORD. THERE IS NO CONSERVATIVE ACHIEVEMENT. THERE ARE NO VALID POINTS THAT DONT CIRCLE BACK TO THE SMEARING OF DEWHURST.

Cruz has nothing to offer except conservative boilerplate rhetoric. His entire campaign is a rhetorical smear of Dew (DC insider, moderate, establishment), Cruz has not provided a sales pitch for himself. Because there is nothing there to sell. Cruz is another lawyer most interested in self promotion.

dip it in cider on July 30, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Please point me to where I said Dewhurst was conservative? Thanks.

dip it in cider on July 30, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I’m voting Cruz tomorrow. These Dewhurst ads are disgusting and he’s the epitome of a RINO. He can stay Lt Gov but no to Senator.

neyney on July 30, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I have three months to decide…

idesign on July 30, 2012 at 2:49 PM

If you haven’t decided by now, you are a possible 0bama supporter and an ABR nutball on top of being a Palin sycophant.

Congratulations! You are the antithesis of csdeven.

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 2:54 PM

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Aw crap, wrong Cruz hatin’ thread.

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Hey dip it in cider check this out:

Now you have no excuse not to vote for Cruz.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Real conservatism will win all the time.

logman1 on July 30, 2012 at 3:02 PM

how to eat an elephant, 1 bite at a time.

The really scary thing to ponder, when Tea Party and other small gov’t fiscal conservatives gain the edge over establishment types how many turncoats do you see going liberal to try and hold onto their sliver rather than evolve and join with us?

smitty41 on July 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM

My personal guess is that about 40% of the RINO’s and DIABLO’s who are not defeated [and a significant fraction of those who are] will openly join the Left and be quite happy doing so. There will be another fraction of those who are defeated who will retire from politics. The remainder will stay to fight the Patriot Movement guerrilla warfare style. YMMV.

IF we have elections in November [no longer a given after the last few months], and the votes are honestly counted [never to be assumed in areas where Democrats have control of the electoral apparatus]; there will be a Republican president and both Houses of Congress. That in no way equates to Conservative/Patriot control of anything.

The battle at that point will be intramural inside the Republican Party with the Democrats and RINO’s/DIABLO’s working together. And we will see what happens. The outcome is far from certain.

Now, as to matters of trust. Do I think that Mitt Romney is in any way Conservative? No. Do I trust his word as to what he will do? Hell, No. As much as I distrust Mitt Romney and do not consider him an ally; will I vote for him? Regretfully, yes; and I will proverbially crawl over ground glass to do so, because a Romney administration will not destroy the Republic as fast as the imposition of a Leftist dictatorship that would shortly come after an Obama win. There will be a chance still of saving the country short of force of arms. If that fails ….

Now, as to the matter of Sarah Palin. [into the lion's den]

1. Do I admire her? Hell yes.
2. Do I believe in her? Yes, as much as I can believe in any politician. I trust her judgment, and I we seem to share the same enemies.
3. Do I “worship” her? No, but I wish she had chosen to be a candidate, and hope she will be again in the future [see below].
4. Will I listen to her recommendations? Yes, I will give her the benefit of the doubt in any endorsements she makes and give them greater weight than any other person I have seen so far on the Patriot side of the fence. That benefit of the doubt is not absolute, because she is a politician; but I trust her and her abilities. And I hope that in the aftermath of the battle with the RINO’s/DIABLO’s when either the Conservative/Patriot movement takes over the former Republican Party shell, or splits to create a separate Patriot Party under whatever circumstances, that she will use her unprecedented ability to rally Conservatives and be our standard bearer.

If she chooses not to [and she has earned that right many times over so far], the Patriot Movement is something that is larger than her [which she would eagerly admit, I think] and it will soldier on.

Subotai Bahadur on July 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM

What have you got to say now dip it in cider?

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 3:27 PM

dip it in cider on July 30, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Okay, I see where you’re coming from.

Only a child or a Democrat demands elections on his/her own terms. They don’t come that way. The unfortunate reality is that in most elections we have to pick who we perceive to be better, or vote for the lesser of two evils. The perfect candidate never existed. I’ve voted AGAINST more people than I’ve voted FOR; one was Reagan in 1984 – I voted AGAINST Carter in 1980. I wasn’t sure about Reagan in 1980 but after 4 years I was convinced.

LevinFan has given you what you asked for. I suspect it’s not what you wanted – “THERE ARE NO VALID POINTS THAT DONT CIRCLE BACK TO THE SMEARING OF DEWHURST.” – I’ve come across several Democrats stumping for Dewhurst on Twitter and that’s exactly the kind of thing they say. Pointing out the TRUTH is not a smear. Dewhurst has run a sleazy Obama-style campaign against Cruz. And if you’re not a moby, you’re doing a first-rate imitation of one.

Eren on July 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Hey dip it, Cruz took on George Bush when he was siding with Mexico and the world court to strike down the death penalty for illegals that had brutalized and killed a couple of girls here in Houston.

Dewhurst won’t even take on democrats in his Texas senate chamber. It took three cycles for him to even get a vote on Voter ID. He openly mocked efforts to reign in the TSA in Texas. He shielded Tommy Williams (Woodlands) from having to expose Jeff Wentworth (San Antonio) in a vote for eliminating sanctuary city policies at the behest of HEB and Bob Perry.

I think dip it is working for Dewhurst’s campaign.

DanMan on July 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I think dip it is working for Dewhurst’s campaign.

DanMan on July 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM

In that case, Dewhurst needs better minions.

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I think dip it is working for Dewhurst’s campaign.

DanMan on July 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM

In that case tom night is going to be a long night!

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Yo, dipped in “it”.

Ted C knows the Constitution, will use that and he will help to cut spending by the RINO’s and the Commie Democrat Party.

If he does only that you will be sorry for attemping to get Duworst elected.

But I do suspect you do not want that old document to stand in the way of the two party pig trough $ hogs in Washington D.C..

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 30, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I guess everyone has tea in their eyes and can’t see whose running. Cruz is a Hah-vard insider who will feel right at home hobknobbing with Fauxahontas, Kagan, Obama, Ad Naseum. A choice between a Texas Cowboy Hall of Famer or a fricking trial lawyer and the trial lawyer is winning? Teaparty is for amateurs. Ted Cruz is a lawyer. He’s going to represent the law and we all know the law extends into every nook and cranny. DD represents business interests. Sarah Palin can stick it. Who is she to push her weight around in Texas. She was all up the New England witch as well wasn’t she? I want my Texas reps to be Texas first, middle and last. Can’t trust Ivy League Lawyer Cruz and can’t believe he’s going to beat out a true Texan. Teaparty is a means to an end for these newcomers.

pc on July 30, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Enjoy Helium boy. He sounds like a squeaky toy speaking. John Tower he Aint!

PS before you go off on me, I don’t care. I can read a politician better than most.

pc on July 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM

pc on July 30, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Bless your heart.

You are a special one.

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Mr. pc

You get paid for that clap trap.

You should be ashamed.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM

pc on July 30, 2012 at 4:10 PM

and

pc on July 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM

especially special

DanMan on July 30, 2012 at 4:20 PM

You get paid for that clap trap.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Dewhurst dumped another $8 mil into his campaign on Friday, pc and Dip it are worthy recipients I’d say. circle jerks

DanMan on July 30, 2012 at 4:24 PM

god forbid anyone should have an opinion. You are about as tolerant as Rahm Emanuel’s minion. Enjoy your lawyer. We don’t have enough of those guys running things.

pc on July 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM

pc on July 30, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Dewhurst is a big gov’t Repubican just like Mr In State tuition, Gov. Gardasil himself.

And yeah Cruz is a real trial lawyer especially on things like this

No wonder that in addition to Palin, that both Ron Paul and Rand Paul endorsed Cruz!

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM

god forbid anyone should have an opinion.

pc on July 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Opinion is one thing, what you wrote was batcrap crazy stuff.

cozmo on July 30, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I encourage everyone to vote for John Devine in the Supreme Court runoff as well.

TexasDan on July 30, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Oh so now Perry’s not conservative enough. That’s pretty funny. I can’t wait to see your hearts broken over this clymer. His daddy fought in the Cuban civil war. For the commies. Cruz never created a single job other than law judgement BS. Dewhurst made his fortune in putting prime Texas beef on plates. Cruz is like Elvis Costello. He wants to croon but it’s the new wave. He needs to bebop around and that’s what he’ll do. But he’s a crooner err lawyer at heart. Nobody pays me for my opinion douchebags.

pc on July 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Sarah Palin Mike Huckabee can stick it. Who is she he to push her his [considerable] weight around in Texas.

You’re welcome.

Eren on July 30, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Dewhurst made his fortune in putting prime Texas beef on plates.

Dewhurst’s a rancher? Does he know that? where’re you from pc?

DanMan on July 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Ted Cruz on Hannity’s radio show now!

bluefox on July 30, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I’m from Texas by way of Oklahoma circa 1964. My dad was battalion commander at Ft. Hood and Ft. Bliss. I can’t carry my dad’s jock and don’t pretend to be anything close to what he is. I’m part of the no sweat generation, too young to get drafted in Vietnam but old enough to get to drink at 18 when it was the official Texas drinking age. They changed it to 21 when I turned 21 :). My sons are both Houston born Texans. I live a couple miles from Dewhurst’s high school, Lamar High School. He’s got his issues but he’s a business first Texas politician. Dewhurst is in the Texas Rodeo Cowboy Hall of Fame. Cruz is a Harvard navel gazer in my humble opinion.

Cruz is a Harvard educated lawyer, exactly the type of political animal we need less, not more of. Who is he? I liken him to being an Obama for righties. Nobody knows him other than what he’s done (gone with the Texas conservative flow or he would be gone) the last couple years. Reminds me of….Obama.

pc on July 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM

This is for those that need info on Ted Cruz. He is much more than a “lawyer”. Here is his record and what he’s done for the Great State of Texas and many Americans.

•Fighting for America’s Free-Market Economy
•Defending Property Rights, Preserving Economic Liberty
•Fiercely Protecting America’s Troops
•Protecting Traditional Marriage
•Fighting Bigotry and Racial Hatred
•Combating Sexual Predators
f•Defending Congressional Redistricting

Each one of those records listed above are active links. Just click on them on his website to read further. I researched Cruz months ago since I subscribe to DeMint’s Senate Conservative Fund.

Anyone doubting that Cruz is what his record shows, need to consider all of the Conservatives are endorsing him and funding his campaign.

bluefox on July 30, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Final comment then I’m gone. Hope we don’t fall for the concerted media effort to get the Harvard Guy who none of the Texas Legislature want elected, elected. Interesting how most if not all of the local radio talking heads who are up Cruz’s rear are lawyers themselves. Lawyers are anti-business. They just are. They are overhead and they know it. Dewhurst did a stint in the CIA which means he’s connected. He can bring the heat and represent Texas the way Texas should be represented, no holds barred. My favorite Texan in Washington was John Tower. I doubt we would have missed getting a Shuttle if Tower was in DC. He didn’t take stuff off anyone. Cruz is going to be put in the corner with his squeaky voice and giving some policy wonk job because that’s what he appears to me to be, a policy wonk. Bah!

pc on July 30, 2012 at 5:58 PM

pc: you’re bashing Cruz for being a lawyer and comparing him to obama??

Listen you dishonest hack:

So Cruz fighting the Bush administration to push for the death penalty for those illegal thugs who murdered an American girl doesn’t count for anything??

YOu assume all lawyers are bad. Yeah, just like Mark Levin. He’s an attorney too, must mean he sucks based on your stupid logic right? Nevermind that Levin and his Landmark Legal Foundation have fought like heck to defend Arizona agst the Feds and to argue for making obamacare unconstitutional.

Yeah, we need less of those stupid lawyers like Levin and Cruz!!

Now get off hotair you big dope!!

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I live a couple miles from Dewhurst’s high school, Lamar High School.

The Generals beat y’alls azz in f’ball every year I was there and my kids Cardinals beat your Redskins in baseball every year they were there.

Coincidently my dad graduated OU and my father in law is a Tulsa native that has two degrees from Harvard. Two of the most honorable men I know. Both Navy vets as well.

I’m part of the no sweat generation…

Sounds like we’re about the same age but I have plenty sweat in my endeavors over the years.

DanMan on July 30, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Just wait for the attacks on her from the GOP establishment…

the_nile on July 30, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Enter Cheney, stage left.

tencole on July 30, 2012 at 6:18 PM

You can see why Cruz is winning right here in this thread. With “supporters” like PC and dip it in cider you can see the transparent political hackery. I really wouldn’t be surprised if these two really are a couple of the paid advisors that have completely blown Dewhurt’s campaign.

ModerateMan on July 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Ted Cruz made my Shi-Tzu’s hair fall off.

TexasJew on July 31, 2012 at 1:37 AM