Gibbs: Romney’s London gaffe was “embarrassing for our country”

posted at 2:41 pm on July 30, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Yes, Gibbs would want us to seize on any gaffe of Mitt Romney’s as a campaign issue of unrivaled importance, since any available distractions are the only thing standing between President Obama and the public’s undivided attention on his horrendous economic record.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

“Mitt Romney wondered aloud whether London was ready for the Olympics, and I think it’s clear that voters in this country wonder aloud whether Mitt Romney is ready for the world,” former White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said on ABC’s “This Week” today. “And I think the world is not yet ready for Mitt Romney.”

“To go overseas, stand in the country of our strongest ally, and the Olympics that they’ve been preparing years for, and question whether or not they’re ready, does make you wonder whether or not he’s ready to be commander in chief,” he added.

“I’m happy David Cameron had the last word, because I thought it was embarrassing for our country,” Gibbs also said.

Oh, good grief. I haven’t put my two cents in on Romney’s Olympics gaffe yet, and I’ll just say that when I first saw the clip, I was a little nonplussed about all of the fuss. Yes, it did come off as kind of pompous and he really could have said it differently, but should he really have just been happy-go-lucky and delivered a thoughtless double thumbs-up? (Especially in the unfolding knowledge that perhaps their planning wasn’t perfect, yikes!)

I mean, do we really want to talk about embarrassing ourselves overseas? ‘Cause…

…I’m pretty sure that will forever and always take the cake, and I don’t think you really want to go down that road, Mr. Gibbs. (By the way, according to President Obama — who’s our ‘strongest ally,’ again?)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Mitt was correct, Gibbs is a dope.

StevC on July 31, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Democrats are always embarrassed and/or offended when someone speaks the truth!!

And Gibbs is a joke: who cares what he says?

landlines on July 31, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Robert Fibbs is yet another despicable liar Barry surrounds himself with. Carney, Fibbs, Axelfraud, Jarret, Jones, etc etc etc. They’re all Alinskyite freaks and radicals. Wouldn’t know the truth if it hit em over the head.

bob77 on July 31, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Tomb
lvd on July 31, 2012 at 11:07 AM

O.K, will you explain this for me.
Interview with U.S media. On the eve of the games

Di d he think London is ready?

Response ,disconcerting area’s , didn’t think the British people were enthusiastic.

Same day, at Downing st.
Does he think London was ready?

He is impressed with the planning. Said all Olympics have problems and mistakes
Including the ones he made
Was overwhelmed with the British support.

?
Who decides if Romney ‘s trip to London was a success ? . He pissed off the Prime Minister ,the Mayor of London Ed Milibands mother ,the department of Diplomacy ,m16
That’s a success?He went to London to show he would be a better allie then Obama.

mags on July 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM

O.K, will you explain this for me.
Interview with U.S media. On the eve of the games

Di d he think London is ready?

Same day, at Downing st.
Does he think London was ready?

He is impressed with the planning. Said all Olympics have problems and mistakes
Including the ones he made
Was overwhelmed with the British support.

?

mags on July 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM

My article is from yesterday, yours is from a week ago. Amazing how short attention spans are.

He stated what every newspaper and newsreader in the UK said in the weeks previous; security was sorely lacking and was a concern.

Are you denying that was (and still is) the case?

After the usual “you can’t say that about us, only we can say that about us” whining, he walked his comments back.

Considering the incredible damage Obama has done to US/UK relations, Romney has nothing to worry about as far as who will be the better ally in the White House.

Tomblvd on July 31, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Blown analysis here, starting with the word “gaffe”. Romney has the intellectual burden of actually having done something before in his life, unlike ZerObama. So the Obama press orcs couldn’t wait to put him on the spot for his opinion on this mess.

Forget that every Brit with an opinion has ripped the awful organization, and most Londoners seem to have evacuated the city. Romney might better have deferred, but he did fine. Lying to make Red Boris and Nancy Cameron feel good would have been stupid.

Jaibones on July 31, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Tomblvd on July 31, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Is that were he gets his information from,the British media.So after weeks he is disconcertive on the eve of the games and only when asked.
No matter what, is being said,you do not go as a guest in another country saying,I read in The Sun without discussing it with say the Prime Minister,the Mayor,MI6,oops ,that’s top secret…….

So he changed his opinion when challenged by the British media? That isn’t good for a special relationship which includes access to our military.
Blair is still backing Bush,the media has tried nearly everything next is waterboarding..
And yes there are things that are said by the Media that shouldn’t be echoed without finding
out more.

Considering the incredible damage Obama has done to US/UK relations

Is that our choice,who can do the less damage. We are pissed at both of them,
I am really disappointed to see that you support his actions

mags on August 1, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Note I am not say that is where he got his information, only that the information was widespread public knowledge.

Are you denying this is the case?

Is that our choice,who can do the less damage. We are pissed at both of them,
I am really disappointed to see that you support his actions

FFS, what damage?

Are you insane?

THIS is damamge:

Churchill bust debacle: ‘amateurish’ Obama White House remains firmly in denial over snub to Britain

and

The Falklands dispute lays bare the damage that Barack Obama has done to the not-so-special US-UK relationship

There is no “choice”.

Tomblvd on August 1, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I am really disappointed to see that you support his actions

mags on August 1, 2012 at 7:37 AM

First, I don’t care what you think.

Second, I support the truth. If you get butthurt from someone telling you the truth, that is your problem, not theirs

Tomblvd on August 1, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Not that mags needs to look any worse but:

Boris Johnson gets stuck on zip wire carrying two Union flags

The Mayor spent around five minutes hanging comically from the drooping line wearing a hard hat, as spectators took video footage and photographs of his misfortune.

When one asked how he was feeling, he replied “very, very well thank you”, before shouting: “Get me a rope, get me a ladder” to bystanders.

“It’s very, very well organised,” he assured them. “It’s going well so far. Right.”

Riiiiiight.

Tomblvd on August 1, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Tomblvd on August 1, 2012 at 11:38 AM

So which was the truth.?
When he was concerned or when he was impressed.

Yes ,group 4 security was a load of crap.The MD was hounded and forced
to explain himself to MP’s.
Quite rightly he was humiliated and made to look a knob in front of them while we watched.

This was a couple of weeks before and was being sorted. The bit about strikes was also resolved.

I presume Romney and yourself were concerned about your athletes security if he was such an expert why did he leave it to the last day.
He was telling the terrorists that the security is crap so they have a good chance of being successful

We all knew what a security nightmare the Games could be,as of now thank god
nothing has happened.

On the Queens visit to Ireland she was greeted with a car bomb.Dissident I.R.A
Groups not on ceasefire have issued threats and also stopping Islamic terrorists.
The media is not privy to security operation’s and what is going on that we can’t
see.
I will accept Boris being arse rather then a bomb,like what happened in Atlanta,was that a successful Olympics
The opening ceremony had all the targets in one place and we sighed with relieve.

The Royal family are being very visible.Zara Phillips-Queen granddaughter won
a silver medal yesterday watched by William ,Harry and Kate.
They are everywhere cheering team GB. We will carry on and not let terrorists think they can change our actions

I don’t really want to argue,but why is it so hard to accept that diplomatically he could of handled it better?

Tom mate, I can assure that Obama isn’t praised here ,media or public.
My comments about Romney doesn’t mean Obama is better.
Who you vote for is nothing to do with us,but your foreign policy does effect us.

There was a big backlash against him over the BP oil spill.
‘The Obama administration’s relentless campaign against Britain’s largest company in the wake of Gulf oil spill was one of the most damaging episodes in US-UK relations in recent years, with 64 percent of Britons agreeing at the time that the president’s handling of the issue had harmed the partnership between the two countries according to a YouGov poll. The White House’s aggressive trashing of BP, including a threat to put a “boot on the throat” of the oil giant, helped wipe out about half its share value, directly impacting the pensions of 18 million Britons. This led to a furious backlash in the British press, with even London mayor and long-time Obama admirer Boris Johnson demanding an end to “anti-British rhetoric, buck-passing and name-calling”.

I am not saying I agree with it but the same Boris didn’t hold back when attacking Obama.
There is a difference between the British Media and the British public, can Americans just supports us and wish us well while we worry about a spectacular, it’s like you want us to be attacked so you can say,’told you so’

mags on August 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Your post makes little sense to me at all, except for these few droppings:

Yes ,group 4 security was a load of crap.The MD was hounded and forced
to explain himself to MP’s.

This was a couple of weeks before and was being sorted.

This is an abject lie.

Government forced to call in 1,200 extra troops who were placed on standby for Olympic Games after G4S security fiasco.

That article was ONE WEEK AGO. TWO DAYS before the opening ceremony.

This is a gem:

Romney giving his expert opinion on Olympic organization is NOT “foreign policy”. Obama inciting a possible Argentinian attack on the Falklands by pulling the US support for their sovereignty, IS “foreign policy”.

Is any of this registering????

You then said this:

it’s like you want us to be attacked so you can say,’told you so’

What a vile thing to say.

I can already say “told you so” because of the link prior. Security was a mess. End of story. I don’t need to hope for people to die in order to feel correct.

If you feel the need to make things up, why even post your crap?

Tomblvd on August 1, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Tomblvd on August 1, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I think we being lost in translation.
I am fully aware of the security problems in the lead up to the games.
Actually i think the troops should be there not the knob from g4.

The problems were being dealt with. The threat of strikes had been sorted.

mags on August 1, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I am fully aware of the security problems in the lead up to the games.

mags on August 1, 2012 at 7:23 PM

And so was Romney.

He just had the temerity to tell the truth when asked a specific question. After Fleet Street and thin-skinned politicians like Boris had a conniption, he toned down his statements, just like a politician.

For you to try to turn this into some kind of international incident, especially considering nobody in the UK is even talking about it anymore, is just beyond silly.

Tomblvd on August 1, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Wait i haven’t finished i didn’t mean to post yet, i don’t know if i am something wrong i will have to ask my 7yr old son

mags on August 1, 2012 at 8:50 PM

i don’t know if i am something wrong

Trust me, you are.

Tomblvd on August 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I started again,I was having problems because I am Amish and not use to all this and I only have 7 fingers
I think we are being lost translation. I am fully aware of the security problems leading up to the games the knobhead of g4 only said there was a problem 3 weeks ago We had paid upfront ,but g4 will have to pay for the soldiers we have had to send because they are crap
I think the troops would be better then g4, we are discussing whether we should be putting our security in the in the hands of private sector .
I am not denying that, that it’s not my point.

No matter how shite the situation you don’t go to another country on the eve of the games and question the government’s readiness based on the media
.He questioned the British Public’s enthusiasm, the media hadn’t said that and it’s that’s nothing to do with ‘being ready’so where did that come from?

he toned down his statements

He changed it not just toned it down.So he is not a man of conviction ,you are going to have problems
if he is elected then.

I know it is not Romneys foreign policy.
You were implying that we favour Obama over Romney. I was saying that we don’t
care who is in the Whitehouse it’s what their foreign policy that matters to us
Yes,Obama should back us about the Falklands and that did piss off the government
and the public.
I am sorry that I am being boring ,to be honest nobody here was bothered and do you know what either do I,no way am I seeing this as a huge incident.
I keep going on about it to you because I go on and on about everything,ask my husband, I am giving you more credit.
You must ,even a tiny bit believe he should of handled this better.
If Obama did it would you think it’s ok.?
I am struggling to see what the view’s of us is.
If Obama is a tit,then posters are horrified and say loads of nice things about us.
When Romney stumbles then everyone hates us
I have posted on
more recent hot air reviews about this but I have not found you

mags on August 1, 2012 at 10:08 PM

You’re a really crappy liar.

Example:

You were implying that we favour Obama over Romney.

No, my links specifically show that most Brits do not like Obama, as well they shouldn’t.

At no point did I ever, ever even make a hint at implying Obama was liked in the UK.

It isn’t the typing you need help with, it’s the thinking.

Tomblvd on August 2, 2012 at 10:36 AM