Cheney: Carter no longer the worst President in our lifetimes

posted at 10:01 am on July 30, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

A few Hot Air readers seemed a little off-put by Dick Cheney’s contention yesterday that the choice of Sarah Palin for John McCain’s running mate was a “mistake.”  Even his own daughter rebuked him yesterday on Twitter:

How can the former Vice President make amends?  How about comparing Barack Obama to Jimmy Carter … unfavorably?  Cheney tells Jonathan Karl that there hasn’t been a President with whom he’s disagreed more, including Carter:

Cheney’s harshest criticism, however, was for President Obama.

“I obviously am not a big fan of President Obama. I think he’s been one of our weakest presidents. I just fundamentally disagree with him philosophically. I’d be hard put to find any Democratic president that I’ve disagreed with more,” he said.

When asked if he thought Obama was “worse than Jimmy Carter,” Cheney replied, “Yes.”

Cheney gave Obama credited for killing al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, but added that “a lot of that intelligence that laid the groundwork for what ultimately led to the capture of Bin Laden [was] as a result of programs we had in place in the Bush administration.”

He was sharply critical, however, of Obama’s plans to withdraw troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.

“We should not be running for the exits. We should not be turning our backs on our friends in that part of the world,” he said.

Actually, even with everything Cheney notes above, I’d still give the foreign-policy edge to Obama over Carter.  Had Carter taken over from George W. Bush in 2009, we would have not just conducted a pell-mell rush to exit Iraq, we’d have done the same in Afghanistan and killed the drone strikes that have proven very effective.  We might also have caved in to the Iranian mullahs on their nukes, and all one needs to remember to reach that conclusion was Carter’s shameful dithering with Iran in 1979 and 1980 after they committed an act of war against the US … for 444 days.

Cheney manages to get one last dig in at Obama, if obliquely.  When Karl asks him why he wasn’t more vocal in the same-sex marriage debate, Cheney reminds him that he gave his position in 2000 and never changed it — so why would he need to restate it again?  That’s nothing if not a shot at Obama’s “evolutionary” flip-flop in May.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

What do Barack Obama and Sarah Palin have in common?

Both are lightweights who were never qualified to be president, and both made their first big splash into national prominence by giving well-received speeches (written by others, by the way) at their parties’ respective nominating conventions in 2004 and 2008.

Obama was able to BS his way through interviews a lot more convincingly than Sarah Palin (though being better than Sarah Palin in this department isn’t saying a whole lot), while Sarah Palin’s ignorance was apparent from the beginning.

Bottom line:

Dick Cheney is right on the money. Obama needs to go, and we need to make sure never to make an irresponsible pick like Sarah Palin (though we admire her motivational qualities and agree with her on many issues) again. “Palin pick” will be forever synonymous with “mistake”.

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 4:59 PM

That’s a strange little obsession you have there. I suspect you would be thrilled by anyone that fed it.

Obama never accomplished anything in his life except a couple of ghost-written autobiographies before he had done anything to write home about.

Palin, on the other hand, had been on the city council, then been mayor multiple times, then served in a Republican state administration, then got electecd governor. Along the way she cleaned up much of the corruption in Alaska.

Palin worked her way up from a low-level political position to governor. Obama is a Senator for a couple of years and runs for president.

Frankly, the two have little or nothing in common.

tom on July 30, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Well if evil is good and good evil fine call me whatever you want. I know I am good with GOD.

Steveangell on July 30, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I have the same moral dilema as you do but I won’t vote for Obama… I’ll stay home and sadly that really doesn’t matter because I live in CA…

CCRWM on July 30, 2012 at 7:10 PM

If Cheney wanted maximum impact on Obama then he would have STH*ckU about Palin. He’s not stupid. Everyone seems to think Cheney is getting slow. He knew that the buzz of his interview would be Palin not some broad comparison of BO to JimC.

His critique of the Marxist was muted by his critique of SP. He got what he wanted out of that interview. Cheney isn’t stupid. He’s a shrewd , smart man. They are treating Palin like she’s a threat to some dynasty or something. Is she?

BoxHead1 on July 30, 2012 at 7:16 PM

CCRWM on July 30, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I live in liberal Maryland but on the conservative Eastern Shore. Andy Harris a solid Tea Party Conservative and my congress man I look forward to voting for him. But will leave President blank.

I also look forward to voting for the Republican running for Senator though he will lose. It will still feel good voting for him.

Steveangell on July 30, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Steveangell on July 30, 2012 at 6:31 PM

You sure about that liar?

tom daschle concerned on July 30, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Frankly, the two have little or nothing in common.

tom on July 30, 2012 at 6:52 PM

But who is really calling the shots. Obama or Valary Jarette?

Obama was successful as a Community Organizer. He did great work for Acorn. He did great work on the Boards he sat on. But they all promoted the Communist Agenda. Thus he could not take credit for what he had done in the election.

So far as Government that was handed to him on a silver platter. First his Illinois seats then the US Senate and his DNC speech. Vallory got him great access. You know these two go way back they are connected from childhood through their parents and grandparents.

Steveangell on July 30, 2012 at 7:56 PM

That’s just it…it’s not taken personally. You get pushback (mostly) because it seems like you’re re-litigating old primary battles. “Rombots” just want to see Obama defeated, and rehashing those types of criticisms when he’s going to be the nominee don’t serve much of a purpose to that end. I dare say most of the Romney supporters here were supportive of the McCain/Palin ticket and weren’t speaking ill of her then, criticizing the attacks on her too. I was here…it was overwhelmingly positive towards her. There’s simply no comparison between how Romney supporters take criticism of him, and how Palin fans take the same of her.

changer1701 on July 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM

That there has to be one of the most laughable crocks of shite of a comment that I’ve ever read here. I dare say most of the ‘bot cast of characters who’ve been here for the past 4 years spent most of that time taking potshots at Palin when they had the opportunity. And now it’s “who, us??” You can’t say anything negative about His Mittness without being called an O-bot by some of the roving ‘Bot Goon Squads. Sure, ‘bots are all about wanting to see Obama defeated as long as Little Lord Fauntleroy is leading the….uh, “charge”, for lack of a better term.

ddrintn on July 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM

What do Barack Obama and Sarah Palin have in common?

Bottom line:

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Dick Cheney is a fool and so was his former boss. I am not a Palin groupie, but I don’t understand the obsessive need to trash her by former Bush people, the same people who destroyed the meaning of conservatism, who destroyed forever the notion that Republicans were better at fighting wars or understand how to use our military, and who manage to do so much damage to the GOP that they succeeded in getting basically a communist elected president.

Palin, inexperienced as she may be, can’t possibly be worse than that! Frankly I am sick of hearing from the Bush people and can only hope they all just go away and leave the GOP forever before they destroy this party.

William Eaton on July 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM

How can the former Vice President make amends? How about comparing Barack Obama to Jimmy Carter … unfavorably?

Sorry, that’s not enough. I feel towards Cheney the way I did towards Barbara Bush when she said she wished Palin would go back to Alaska. This kind of gratuitous slam at Palin–and, in effect, at Tea Party reformers all around America, because that’s what Palin represents–will strain relations between Tea Partiers and neocon-”compassionate”-expansivegovernment-Establishment-Bushite- Republicans that cannot be erased easily. How dare he stick a knife in our inspiring and articulate Tea Party leader. Cheney, go back to Wyoming and stay there. And keep your trap shut, moron.

Burke on July 30, 2012 at 10:18 PM

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Let me guess — a Romneybot?

Romney won. Palin never ran. It’s over. Aren’t you political geniuses supposed to be “uniting” the party, or something?

If you had any savvy or grace at all you’d want nothing to do with Cheney’s stupid and pointless remark. But instead you get all excited to see a superannuated Bush-era RINO repeat the same, smug dismissals of the most dynamic Republican in our time — a woman who stirs the base more in an afternoon than Mitt has in his life.

Nice work alienating us.

rrpjr on July 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM

After all of this bs by the GOP-E, and some of our other “conservatives”, it might be time for a 3rd party. Gee, I wonder who would make a great leader.

Mirimichi on July 30, 2012 at 11:31 PM

CCRWM on July 30, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Sadly, why no, it’s actually great…thank god people like do not live in swing states and in states where votes actually matter….

jimver on July 31, 2012 at 3:04 AM

William Eaton on July 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM

It’s simple. Jeb 2016.

jimver on July 31, 2012 at 3:04 AM

What? Romney naysayers here are continually being told that they are actually voting for Obama if they do anything but lick Romney’s oxfords. Now only the votes of those in swing states “count”. Typical ‘bot/lib illogic and arrogance.

ddrintn on July 31, 2012 at 9:46 AM

It’s simple. Jeb 2016.

ddrintn on July 31, 2012 at 9:46 AM

If that happens the GOP will have officially become the Monarchist Party. The party campaign slogan will be “Long Live Bush III”.

William Eaton on July 31, 2012 at 2:01 PM

AHH! Yet another topic filled with Rom0bama supporters doling out reasons from the comfort of their threadbare lazy boy recliners for not bothering to vote for Mr. Individual Mandate.

Late last week, former two-term governor and Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson passed the one million mark on the social media platform Google+, passing Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s 853,378 followers. Since Friday, his following has grown another 11,554, making his total number of Google+ followers 1,011,554.

I’m certain Governor Gary Johnson thanks you for your efforts since with supporters like you Gary is looking better every day.

DannoJyd on July 31, 2012 at 6:43 PM