Cheney: Palin pick in ’08 “a mistake”

posted at 12:31 pm on July 29, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

As we wait for Mitt Romney to pick his running mate in the next few weeks, the last successful GOP running mate has been privately advising the current GOP nominee and the head of his VP search committee, Beth Myers.  Cheney believes that the #2 slot has to be filled with someone ready to take over the top job on Day 1 — and that John McCain flunked that test in 2008.  In an interview with ABC News’ Jonathan Karl, Cheney called the selection of Sarah Palin “a mistake”:

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Cheney would not comment on what he told Romney and Myers, but he was harsh in his assessment of McCain’s decision to pick Palin.

“That one,” Cheney said, “I don’t think was well handled.”

“The test to get on that small list has to be, ‘Is this person capable of being president of the United States?’”

Cheney believes Sarah Palin failed that test.

“I like Governor Palin. I’ve met her. I know her. She – attractive candidate. But based on her background, she’d only been governor for, what, two years. I don’t think she passed that test…of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake.”

Whoo-ee!  Both Palin and Cheney are beloved by the conservative base, so I’m not sure which will get beat up more over this commentary. I’d guess that the Left is passing the popcorn this morning.

Rather than focus on that, what does this say about Cheney’s advice to Romney and Myers?  Using this framework, names like Marco Rubio, Kelly Ayotte, Susana Marinez, Nikki Haley, and perhaps even Bob McDonnell (governor for two and a half years) have to come off of Cheney’s short list.  Names like Rob Portman, Bobby Jindal, Tim Pawlenty, and Rick Perry would remain on the list.  With Romney’s deep background as an executive, that quality was almost certainly his foremost consideration, too, so Cheney’s advice would only reinforce Romney’s instincts here.  Plus, it doesn’t look like Romney will need a game-changing VP pick to make up ground against a popular incumbent, so the need to roll the dice will be low.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 15

Esoteric on July 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Remind us again of what McCain’s executive experience was comprised of?

chemman on July 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Esoteric on July 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM

funny how you left out any mention of Palin’s record of accomplishment’s as Gov AK.

unseen on July 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM

“I don’t think she passed that test…of being ready to take over.”

As opposed to the magnificent Commander-in-Chief we have in place now…

yubley on July 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I’ve grown a bit allergic to the knee jerk responses to anything resembling criicism of her. Cultish. Getting worse. Makes me uneasy. I’ve changed my views on her a bit since she backed away from running this year. I think she is doing an admirable job of helping elect good conservative legislators and have mostly forgiven her for helping re-elect McCain. Mostly! She’ll never be President.

a capella on July 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM

This is pretty much me in a nutshell as well.

gophergirl on July 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Uh, Dick, we’re supposed to be attacking Obama.

Not our own.

GAFC.

(Get A Flippin’ Clue.)

profitsbeard on July 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM

You see, for the corrupt class of cheney corzine etc , Palin is the outsider and Obama is one of their own.

the_nile on July 29, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Mostly! She’ll never be President.

a capella on July 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM

She ensured this when she challenged the MSM during her convention speech in ’08. She was used to dealing with media outlets with far less power and influence in Alaska and made a huge tactical error.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 29, 2012 at 1:03 PM

This was a planned attack , it was all intentioned this way from the corrupt political class.

What did cheney ever do to attack the fraudsters behind the financial collapse? Nothing.

the_nile on July 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM

The last thing the crooks and cronies at the top want are reformers like Palin, Gary Johnson or Ron Paul, who would try to solve America’s problems, to achieve any power, because the crooks and cronies know full well that they are America’s problem.

FloatingRock on July 29, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Cheney has morphed into part of the elitist GOP who could give a darn what the rank and file want.

If he had any savvy and integrity, he’d admit that it was John McCain that was the mistake…and he’s already taken Sarah down once, at least Reagan had enough class to invoke he famous eleventh commandment.

I suspect that through these political hacks, the GOP is just gearing up to take her down for the convention -they fear her popularity.

With Obama destroying our freedom why is this man and this party instigating infighting? Big question, no answers coming from the RINO-ized beltway.

Don L on July 29, 2012 at 1:03 PM

chemman on July 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Or Obamas, oh wait, I forgot, his campaign was a testament to his executive experience.

Cindy Munford on July 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Esoteric on July 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Wrong.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on July 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM

o/t, but of interest and from Pat Caddell:

White House Leaks: What Does Axelrod Know, and How Does He Know It?

M2RB: ‘Til Tuesday

Resist We Much on July 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I love Dick Cheney, but he’s totally wrong on this. Palin was more than ready to be President. THe problem in 2008 was McShame. Period. One doesn’t have to go any further than that miserable piece of sh!t to find the problems in that campaign.

BTW, I voted for Palin in 2008, not McShame (who I never wanted anywhere near the Oval Office – though I didn’t have any choice, really) and I voted for Cheney in 2000 and 2004, as I was not very enthusiastic about Bush and didn’t really trust him to be a conservative (which he wasn’t).

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Sunday troll thread to get ad views up?

crosspatch on July 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Esoteric on July 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM

what do you say about the 100 percent of men, who jump on these threads, only to try and disparage her.

i’d say less than 5 inches.

renalin on July 29, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Well if this arrogant blow hard would have stepped aside and let Bush pick another Vice President who would have been a viable candidate in the last Presidential election…we wouldn’t have lost.
Cheney has always come across as arrogant, nasty and extremely self focused. His health alone should have been enough to have him step down and have a VP that was in an ACTIVE role and up to speed to run for President.
I’m so tired of listening to his opinion – WHO CARES DICK!

IlonaE on July 29, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Don L on July 29, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Read his book, he always has been.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 29, 2012 at 1:06 PM

The man has a right to his opinion. At the time, I thought Sarah Palin was a great pick..and I still think the liberal media was way too ugly with her…but I have to admit that I am not as enamored with the idea of her as President now as I was 4 years ago.

Terrye on July 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Choomie wasn’t qualified to run a pretzel kiosk at the mall.
The is the overriding, towering , eternal truth that the newspeak and Beltway culture establishment won’t speak or tolerate.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on July 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Cheney is mad she went to Chick-fil-a

Mormontheman on July 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM

The most important qualification for president and vice president is that the person be right on the issues. Sarah passed that test. There is no doubt that if for some reason she had had to assume the presidency, the country would not be anywhere near the mess it is in now. So for that reason alone she was more qualified than anyone else on the ballot.
The problem with Sarah was that the intellectuals on either side didn’t like her. As far as Dick Cheney is concerned, I’m not a fan of his because he is not conservative enough on social issues.

Jindal is my choice this time.

Rose on July 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I love Cheney but he shouldn’t have said this. All it will do is distract and divide conservatives. And Palin has been nothing but gracious and defensive of him and Bush over the years.

Focus on Obama! Palin is doing an excellent job getting the message out there and electing conservatives. No need to make libs happy by saying her pick was a mistake.

Jack_Burton on July 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Remind us again of what McCain’s executive experience was comprised of?

chemman on July 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM

EXACTLY !!

Should Senators with no private sector experience be considered for President ever??

Portman has only been in the Senate 2 years. Allen West is also in the <2 year group. How come the pundit sites keep putting these folks in the VP hunt instead of looking for better candidates? Aren't there more former R governors who were not touched by scandal?

KenInIL on July 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM

weird sexual undercurrent behind much of the (overwhelmingly middle-aged male) support for Palin, which by definition indicates it’s operating at a level beyond the rational. Let me put it this way: if Sarah Palin was a pudgy white guy named Bob Palin, would she have 1/10th the quasi-religious support that she has? Of course not. Half the men in these Palin threads who jump to her defense are explicitly doing in terms of “chivalry” and “how dare you insult this wonderful lady.” It really is rather gendered…again, not a popular sentiment to discuss, but it doesn’t cease to be true just because talking about the truth pisses people off.

Esoteric on July 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM

This is “esoteric” rubbish.

She is supported, and her absence from the GOP ticket is painfully regretted, because she is an unabashed and solid conservative fighter. (Unlike Mitt Romney, for example.) You have no evidence for your silly assertions, which are regurgitations of stuff we’ve all heard a million times from her opponents’ supporters.

spiritof61 on July 29, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Sunday troll thread to get ad views up?

crosspatch on July 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Dude, you’re the only troll I’ve seen here so far.

FloatingRock on July 29, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Esoteric,you are a brave man, LOL. I agree with you though. A lot of the Palin defense is based on emotion and identity politics, not anything reasoned.

McDuck on July 29, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Jack_Burton on July 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM

+ One Trillion!

Cindy Munford on July 29, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Esoteric on July 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM

There’s a pudgy white rino by the name Chris Christie who gets a lot of love from confused needy people. And he’s a gun grabbing mosque lover, could be some pudgy-gay thing though.

the_nile on July 29, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I agree with Palin’s conservative policies, but she’s simply not suited to be a leader, which is why she retired so early. She couldn’t handle the pressure and wasn’t interested in the real work of governing. She wanted to be a celebrity.

I’m sure Palinistas will now lash out at Cheney.

BradTank on July 29, 2012 at 12:49 PM

That’s pure and utter bull****.

Here. Let me send 50 or 60 pushy, antagonistic people to your neighborhood, dive through your trash, follow you wherever you go, harangue your neighbors.

Then, I will find organizations to file false lawsuit after false lawsuit and force your to lawyer up to answer specious charges about your employment and your conduct on the job.

Now, how bright and bubbly are you gonna be going to work, sport? Are you going to have the best interests of your employer in mind 24 hrs. a day? While you are answering all those false charges, make sure your work doesn’t fall behind either.

Take your nonsense back to the Huffpo.

98ZJUSMC on July 29, 2012 at 1:11 PM

McDuck on July 29, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Based solely on the “fact” that you disagree. I bet you made all A’s in self esteem at school.

Cindy Munford on July 29, 2012 at 1:11 PM

No need to make libs happy by saying her pick was a mistake.

Jack_Burton on July 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM

so why did he do it. i’m assuming his intentions weren’t honorable.

renalin on July 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM

The fact that Cheney feels comfortable making this statement prior to the election rather than after tells me all I need to know about what his true motivations are.

Elites on the left and right, both thinking they know what’s best for the peasants. And trying to to steer the conversation their way.

Tired tired tired of it.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Terrye on July 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM

The left has done it’s job well, hasn’t it?

98ZJUSMC on July 29, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Jack_Burton on July 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM

But it shows how much the establishment hates the grassroots.
They rather lose every election than change the corruption in Washington.

the_nile on July 29, 2012 at 1:13 PM

First a heart transplant, now he needs a brain transplant. Still a fan, though. Go Big Dick/Little Bush. A potent combination, in more ways than one.

msupertas on July 29, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Ummm – Did anyone see Cheney on the front lines in 2010 trying to reverse the inevitable Ocommie wrecking ball?
Palin was.
You are clueless if you think Oblamer had any possibility of being beaten in 2008. The energies Palin created on both sides are historic. If she had gone back and crawled into her AK home, we may never have seen a reversal in 2010- commonly referred to as a Shellacking.
She had the balls to keep fighting.
The majority of Repub leaders ran and hid from the liberal media.
Sarah showed them how fight back – and you don’t need Ivy League for that.

Don’t let the media do your thinking for you.

FlaMurph on July 29, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Whether Palin was a mistake or not, and it could be fairly argued either way, let’s face it, the real mistake, and one of historic proportions, was the “selection” of the Fresh Prince of Bill Ayers by the media and the socialistas in the Democrat primary.

TXUS on July 29, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Rose on July 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Quote/Unquote Intellectuals, are never enamored with plain speakers. They make them very nervous.

98ZJUSMC on July 29, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I’m sure Palinistas will now lash out at Cheney.

BradTank on July 29, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Lash out. Oh my, that’s dramatic. Those damn Palinistas, with their disagreeing …thing.

Dongemaharu on July 29, 2012 at 1:16 PM

From the beginning Palin was compared to obama and she was head and shoulders above the community agitator then the meltdown of the economy and mcshame took a pass because he felt he couldn’t deal with it. Since that time tell me all the bad decisions Sarah made! Sarah makes good decisions and can rally the troops like no other conservative leader thank you DICK cheney.

tim c on July 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM

so why did he do it. i’m assuming his intentions weren’t honorable.

renalin on July 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM

They don’t want a reformer on the ticket, only other crooks and cronies like themselves who won’t rock their corrupt boat.

FloatingRock on July 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Terrye on July 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM

of course not. you ar ein the process of rearranging your mental thought porcess to accept the fact that to elect a GOP POTUS you will have to now agree with mostly liberal polices. Just like many had to change their views in 2000 to accept two moderates as “conservative”

unseen on July 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I’ve grown a bit allergic to the knee jerk responses to anything resembling criticism of her. Cultish. Getting worse. Makes me uneasy.

a capella on July 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I believe she would have been ready on election day. Big, sudden change for her but she could do it. So, fully prepared. That’s all. That was the question — was she ready to do the job? Yes. And for Cheney to say she’s not ready is his mistake. Great people rise to great challenges. What defect in her character would sabotage her? There isn’t one. Her strengths would have carried the day.

Paul-Cincy on July 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM

TXUS on July 29, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Thread winner!

gophergirl on July 29, 2012 at 1:18 PM

You’re a brave man, Esoteric. You’ll soon find out why most everyone else here that is not a Palinista has quit posting in threads about her.

JFS61 on July 29, 2012 at 1:18 PM

a capella on July 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM
This is pretty much me in a nutshell as well.

gophergirl on July 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM

This is pretty much a lot of us in a nutshell.

Priscilla on July 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Remind us again of what McCain’s executive experience was comprised of?

chemman on July 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Trying to kill America by trying to sneak and force that insane and un-Constitutional amnesty on us. That is what killed the GOP to begin with. McShame, after having been beaten back on that amazingly asinine and illegal drive to crack our borders wide open and becoming the most despised person in the GOP – EVER – and the real killer of the GOP.

That was McShame’s executive experience.

I won’t even go into the other un-Constitutional offenses he championed (like McShame-Feingold, which, even though it was totally insane, un-American and un-Constitutional, he didn’t even try to defend while the Dog-Eater was violating every campaign finance law on the books).

McShame is such a total piece of sh!t that it really defies the imagination. ANd the fact that he’s still in the Senate is nothing short of retarded and revolting to anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Sarah makes good decisions

tim c on July 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM

That’s what it’s all about. Really good judgment.

Paul-Cincy on July 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM

a capella on July 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Interesting – all the personal attacks on Palin have actually made me more of a supporter than I was before.

All this Johnnie come lately whining about how “I used to support Palin but now I realize she wasn’t ready to be President” is IMO a crock becuse most VPs aren’t ready to be President – otherwise they’d be running for VP. Most years the average person probably doesn’t know anything about the VP candidate because they are boring white bread secondtier guys.

Palin’s basic abiltiy to connect with the avarage voter was something you can’t learn – you have it or you don’t. She did – Mitt doesn’t. Be dismissive all you want but there is a reasonable people still like Obama even though they may think his handling of almost everthing sucks – they like him. Romney WILL NEVER get a pass like that – Palin would.

katiejane on July 29, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Esoteric on July 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM

In the interest of civility, I’ll just agree to disagree. My Mom absolutely loved her. Last I checked, she is not a middle-aged male.

98ZJUSMC on July 29, 2012 at 1:20 PM

come on sarah, this needs refudiatin!

sesquipedalian on July 29, 2012 at 12:45 PM

You sound faint…you better call a paralegal STAT!

ziggyville on July 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Maybe it just needs a breathylizer!

Night Owl on July 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM

The problem, as I said in the Headlines, is that Palin came from Alaska. Unless someone really drops the ball in Alaska, as in the Exxon Valdez, the mainstream press had no reason to care what goes on in Alaska, and only got around to reporting on events in Alaska in the context of Palin being the running mate. In other words, there was too much room for the press to make sh*t up, and the press took maximum advantage of it. If Palin had it all to do over again, maybe she could have been elected to Congress, and benefited from a few years of the mainstream media not seeing her as The Greatest Threat Ever before running for higher office.

Sekhmet on July 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Paul-Cincy on July 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Cheney is wrong , but this attack isn’t done by mistake.
The establishment doesn’t like that so many corrupt cronies getting forced out by grassroots.

the_nile on July 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I hate it when Dick Cheney decides to take his shotgun out in public.

beatcanvas on July 29, 2012 at 1:22 PM

tim c on July 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Yeah. Good Post tim c.

SparkPlug on July 29, 2012 at 1:22 PM

The MSM decides who has the better VP, then promotes that candidate with fervor. They decided Palin was a foolish, inexperienced woman – which she was not. They decided Biden was both highly qualified and a perfect choice, which he was not.

It’s what all politics come down to, how the media portrays the candidate and how the uninformed public laps up their every word.

Rest assured they have already decided who will win all of the presidential debates, regardless of who says what and who actually triumphed in the debates. Remember, Gore and then Kerry made a fool out of Bush, and the brilliant mastermind Obama trounced McCain. Whether true or not, it was predestined, and will be again.

So it really doesn’t matter what Dick Cheney or any other conservative thinks.

fogw on July 29, 2012 at 1:22 PM

so why did he do it. i’m assuming his intentions weren’t honorable.

renalin on July 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM

because they see she still has immense power in the grassroots. they see her 100% endorsement record and the fact that that endorsement brings cash inflows and voter interest. Because their attempts for the last 3years hasn’t worked, she hasn’t slunk off in defeat to AK. she hasn’t sat down nor shut up. Now with a growing call for her to get a top prime speaking place at the convention the RINO establishment is getting desperate to discredit her and so they bring out the big guns. a guy who they think is well liked by the conservative grassroots to try to deflate her one last time and if not to at least give them cover for not placing her in a prime time speaking spot at the convention. At this s tage I hope Palin leaves the GOP and calls a pox on both their houses. I never thought the day would come tha tI would no longer consider myself a republican but over the last year and half I have.

unseen on July 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I hate it when Dick Cheney decides to take his shotgun out in public.

beatcanvas on July 29, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Bwaahh. I was thinking about that but you put it into words very cleverly.

SparkPlug on July 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM

come on sarah, this needs refudiatin!

sesquipedalian on July 29, 2012 at 12:45 PM

You sound faint…you better call a paralegal STAT!

ziggyville on July 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Maybe it just needs a breathylizer!

Night Owl on July 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Or an inhalator

Rio Linda Refugee on July 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Cheney is wrong , but this attack isn’t done by mistake.

the_nile on July 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM

There is some truth to what you say.

SparkPlug on July 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM

renalin on July 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM

My guess would be to steer them towards an establishment pick, not that I would expect Gov. Romney to pick thing else anyway.

Cindy Munford on July 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Jack_Burton on July 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Well said.

Wait, are you the Jack Burton? I happen to be wearing my Pork Chop Express t-shirt today. Ha!

Dongemaharu on July 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

The Bush/Cheney team represents the old school big spending republicans. Palin represents the upstart fiscally responsible republicans. These two groups share no love. Palin also spoke out against crony capitalism – the life blood of Cheney/Haliburton. Then she had the nerve to go down to Texas and speechify for Cruz AGAINST the establishment pick. So I am not surprised by the Cheney comments, just disappointed.

In a tight election do we really need Cheney who the media managed to demonize almost as effectively as Palin out there? Great. Cheney can keep reminding “moderates” why they voted for Obama while turning off his own base by demeaning Palin. You gotta wonder who is coming up with this designed to lose strategy.

D.L.Mc on July 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Could it be that ol Dick wants to help his daughter Liz run in Wyoming? He already has the msm eating out of his hand with the “I’m for same sex marriage” meme. Now by bashing Palin, who btw got McShame almost half the votes he got, he will get a warmer view in history and my very well help Liz in her House campaign. People like Cheney NEVER say or do ANYTHING without thinking it through and seeing some advantage in it. My warm feeling for him just went down a notch.

inspectorudy on July 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

unseen on July 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM

What’s funny is in 50 years the thing remembered about this convention will be Sarah’s speech.

Paul-Cincy on July 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Actually, I mentioned it in an earlier post. But first of all, she didn’t have that many accomplishments. I’m not saying she wouldn’t have, in an alternate dimension where McCain hadn’t selected her, but she was only in office for 1.5 years before McCain picked her! Second of all, her actual legislative accomplishments were basically three things, all of which are either questionable from a conservative perspective or turned out to be disastrous.

1.) The pipeline deal that she “negotiated” was DOA for economic reasons, and as predicted by people with oil industry expertise, it fell apart immediately and has never been built. Nor will it ever be, at least under the terms she insisted upon.

2.) The ethics law that she signed has to be ranked as an absolute debacle, a disastrous, poorly-written piece of legislation that was apparently so onerous that it was used to drive her from office (if you accept her account of why she left…and I’m not sure why we’re all supposed to ignore the whole “hey let’s make a ton of money while I’m still a hot topic!” rationale for her departure).

3.) Her biggest accomplishment, therefore? Raising taxes precipitously on the oil companies and using it as a payout to the Alaskan people, on the proffered logic that (this her actual language, BTW) “it’s OUR oil, so it’s OUR money.” Umm…doesn’t that sound a lot like Elizabeth Warren to anyone else? But we gloss over this because we have simply decided, pre-rationally that Palin is the Truest Conservative. So she couldn’t have actually done this, and used the reasoning she did! (Even though she did.) See what I mean when I say that these claims for her as some sort of perfectly orthodox Conservative Warrior are just emotional labels and not based on her record? “She’s a grizzly mama from the Great White North! She’s pro-life! She MUST be the Truest Conservative.”

And the problem is that I can already predict the usual suspects will “rebut” my points here by saying “you suck,” or “you have a tiny dick,” or “you’re not a conservative!” or “I HATE YOU” or some variation thereof. But again, that really just proves my original point, that the support for her isn’t based on anything that’s intellectually defensible as conservatism, but rather on a tribal, emotional identification with her as a “non-elite” who is the standard-bearer for the impending apocalyptic war against the the “elites.”

Esoteric on July 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Sekhmet on July 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM

For some reason , Team McCain didn’t even try to win or fight.
I think many of them were bought and had other loyalties.

the_nile on July 29, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Could be pushback against Jeb for backing Rubio.

Or, a hit on Palin for backing Cruz against fellow oilmen Dewey.

Doesn’t matter. Unless Cheney can get Petraeus to saddle up, it should be Rubio or Jindal.

Everyone knows Biden’s nowhere near ready to take over. Hell, UBL figured that out in a cave.

And 0 will go down in history as the poster boy for Affirmative Action.

budfox on July 29, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Esoteric on July 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM

unseen on July 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM

They have to stick the icepick in their skulls in order to ignore her executive record. The vomit-brained morons have nothing else to go on, and they had no difficulty with Bush being less articulate than a lobotomized rock because he had the right “credentials.”

The morally gutless creeps who back-stab Palin do so because they know that their gutlessly evil compromising made PRESIDENT Barack Hussein Obama possible. C.S. Lewis described their disgusting ilk well:

“We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst.”

ebrown2 on July 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Paul-Cincy on July 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM

or the lack of one. Either way Mitt’s won’t be remembered past Septemper.

unseen on July 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Hypocrites! Then these same stale, corny GOPE should quit pushing….Roooooobio and Christy Creme, whom they have no problem pushing and others who have far less or just as much experience than Sarah had when she was choosen in 2008 but it’s not about Sarah and her supposedly lack of experience that they are critical about. —– it’s who she represents, that being us, plus her not kowtowing to represent them — the establishment

The Stupid Party indeed

journeymike on July 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Paul-Cincy on July 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM

People will still be studying Bush/Cheney as one of the worst administrations of all time.

Just as bad as Buchanan or Andrew Johnson.

The Tea Party would not exist without them.

tetriskid on July 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Neither McCain, Obama or Biden ever ran anything other than their mouths.

SurferDoc on July 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Esoteric on July 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Nice broad brush psycho analysis there Dr. Esoteric. Because I like guns does that also come into play?

Fat “Bob Palin” would also generate enthusiasm. Sarah generates more because yes she is attractive and she also uses the forums provided to her to put out the conservative message. What does Boehner and McConell do with their forum? Boehner goes to tributes to Pelosi and Rangel and gives us the bone.

arnold ziffel on July 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Seriously Ed, since hotair has been sold, your site has been doing nothing but showing disdain and hate for Palin.

I have been following news on this site since beginning of ’08.

I have to say that I will vote with my conscience and find another site to primarily get my news from.

sad….

ChuckTX on July 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Will always admire Cheney but he is an “establishment” Republican. Yes, he is more conservative than say, “W”, but he spent most (all?) of his political career in the DC gated political community. Hence McCain=OK, Palin=NotSoMuch…Predictable as the sun coming up in the East.
Randy

williars on July 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM

D.L.Mc on July 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Exactly, Palin assisted in putting corrupt -Republicans- in jail. K-Street cabana boys like Cheney & Co. detest the thought of being held accountable for acting like Ayn Rand villains due to their actions from 2000-2006.

ebrown2 on July 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Seriously, every time I see a thumbnail of that pic of Cheney I think “Tim Gunn is doing political commentary?”

libfreeordie on July 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Picking McCain as the ’08 Presidential candidate was a bigger mistake….

albill on July 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM

So they took away Dick Checney’s shotgun, and he still goes around shooting friends in the face.

This. Is. Not. Smart.

WhatNot on July 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Better Palin than Biden, Obama, Hillary, Gore, Kerry, any Democrat, any RINO, etc. What might be a good example of an inexperienced vp? Hmmmmmm, Chief Justice Roberts? Naw, not elected and wrong position. Oh I know, the one in office now! But even Joe Bite-Me Biden has more experience than Obama. Dear Mr Cheney, I like you but please don’t help the opposition and do enjoy the rest of your life.

racquetballer on July 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM

D.L.Mc on July 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

An important point.

FloatingRock on July 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Really the criticism of Palin from Cheny comes from the GOP establishment’s hatred of the Tea Party.

And by the way – if Sarah doesn’t like it – she can lump it.

She’s had chance after chance after chance to pick up the banner of the Tea Party to FIGHT against this g0d dammnable GOP establishment and – at every turn – she’s refused to do so – even while they’ve constantly maligned her and her followers.

So to hell with her – if she enjoys being the blunt of GOP establishment jokes – and then turns around to support idiots like McRage and Orrin Hatch for re-election …

She pretty much deserves anything that comes her way!

HondaV65 on July 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM

libfreeordie on July 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM

That’s a horrible libel of Gunn, to be sure…

ebrown2 on July 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Uh, it’s because hot + charisma = sex appeal.

Most political women have good charisma with little attractiveness.

Most news anchors are highly attractive, but zero genuine charm.

Palin has both. When she wants to be her self, which is rare, no one can touch her.

budfox on July 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM

JFS61 on July 29, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Criticizing Palin has got to be the least brave thing to do these days. If it weren’t so fashionable, I guess he’d be considered gutsy? I mean, I can think of some brave things, but anonymously talking down Palin on a blog ain’t one of ‘em.

Dongemaharu on July 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Cheney was a great VP, but since it was known fairly early that Cheney would not run for President in 2008, one wonders if it would have be wiser if Cheney retired around 2005 and a new VP was picked who could have run for President in 2008…and not McCain…

albill on July 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

D.L.Mc on July 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I don’t know why Palinistas insist on defending Palin against GOP establishment attacks when she won’t defend herself against them – and, indeed – keeps supporting GOP establishment hacks for re-election.

Must some kind of strange Stockholm syndrome.

HondaV65 on July 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Esoteric on July 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Thanks for proving what an ignorant twit you are. The legal provision that was used to drive her from office came into being under Tony Knowles back in the nineties and has since been repealed. Her ethics reforms are a different law entirely, and they’re working just fine.

And you’re welcome for the education I just gave you.

Walter Sobchak on July 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

arnold ziffel on July 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM

A Chris Christie who was actually conservative certainly would.

ebrown2 on July 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Esoteric on July 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Sarah could be butt ugly and I’d have the exact same attitude towards her as I do now.

Paul-Cincy on July 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

tetriskid on July 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Is that cave you’ve been living in since 2008 real comfy? Central Air?

The Tea Party would not exist without them.

*sigh*

Sometimes, you just have to marvel at all of God’s creations. Even the dumb ones.

98ZJUSMC on July 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM

A. McCain was doomed regardless
B. Nobody ever thinks, “Gosh is that VP pick ready?”
C. This is what the press/left want, to replay 2008

mankai on July 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM

It is rare when I find myself in disagreement with Cheney, but this is sadly one of those times. Cheney really jumped the shark on this one. NO Republican would have won in the environment of 2008 with Bush’s 8 years of compassionate “conservatism” destroying the GOP brand and disillusioning conservatives. Palin, while not perfect really helped to motivate and reassure conservatives (like me) and give us hope that the GOP wasn’t going the way of the British conservatives. I mean David Cameron passes for a “conservative” over there and British “Conservative” hearts are with Obama”

Palin as “flawed” as she was saved the GOP.

Raquel Pinkbullet on July 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM

It’s never going to be fashionable around HERE.

By the way, I really wouldn’t bother criticizing Palin around a bunch of liberals. I’m not going to give those smug f**ks the satisfaction of watching a conservative criticize her, not gonna play that role. But here? Among fellow conservatives? I’m going to tell the truth, even if it means I get it with both barrels. If I can’t be honest about my perspective here, then what’s the damn point?

Esoteric on July 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM

How many Palin threads do we need?

OmahaConservative on July 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM

It is disconcerting that the same people here who accuse Obama supporters of hero worship (which they are doing) and of being cultish (which they are) are guilty of the same thing with Sarah Palin. She is human, and is primed to look out for her own self-interests before anybody else. That’s why she was able to take you suckers for a ride back in the primary.

eva3071 on July 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Esoteric on July 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM

And you’re welcome for the education I just gave you.

Walter Sobchak on July 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Good going! These craven idiots can’t wait to spew disgusting and discredited LSM talking points. Next they’ll be cracking statutory rape jokes a la Letterman..

ebrown2 on July 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM

If McCain hadn’t chosen Palin for his veep, he would have been defeated in a landslide of historic proportions, handing Obama a powerful mandate and an even greater advantage in the house and senate. It is only Palin that generated any enthusiasm in the conservative base. There are those who voted for McCain who would not have done so if he hadn’t chosen Palin.

McCain put the torpedo in his own hull with his campaign abdication and his unwillingness to contest the election as if he wanted to win. He would have been a moderate president and we’d all be furious with him by now, but he would not have racked up five trillion or so in deficit at this point. America is worse off because his desire to win the primary significantly exceeded his desire to be president.

Immolate on July 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM

HondaV65 on July 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I agree, Palin and the tea party pretty much folded up shop when Boehner told them to “get your ass in line” with the establishment and haven’t mattered since. The Tea Party is nothing but a get out the vote driver for the corrupt GOP establishment.

FloatingRock on July 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Generally, I’ve liked Cheney. But, he needs to sit down and shut up.

trigon on July 29, 2012 at 1:42 PM