Cheney: Palin pick in ’08 “a mistake”

posted at 12:31 pm on July 29, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

As we wait for Mitt Romney to pick his running mate in the next few weeks, the last successful GOP running mate has been privately advising the current GOP nominee and the head of his VP search committee, Beth Myers.  Cheney believes that the #2 slot has to be filled with someone ready to take over the top job on Day 1 — and that John McCain flunked that test in 2008.  In an interview with ABC News’ Jonathan Karl, Cheney called the selection of Sarah Palin “a mistake”:

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Cheney would not comment on what he told Romney and Myers, but he was harsh in his assessment of McCain’s decision to pick Palin.

“That one,” Cheney said, “I don’t think was well handled.”

“The test to get on that small list has to be, ‘Is this person capable of being president of the United States?’”

Cheney believes Sarah Palin failed that test.

“I like Governor Palin. I’ve met her. I know her. She – attractive candidate. But based on her background, she’d only been governor for, what, two years. I don’t think she passed that test…of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake.”

Whoo-ee!  Both Palin and Cheney are beloved by the conservative base, so I’m not sure which will get beat up more over this commentary. I’d guess that the Left is passing the popcorn this morning.

Rather than focus on that, what does this say about Cheney’s advice to Romney and Myers?  Using this framework, names like Marco Rubio, Kelly Ayotte, Susana Marinez, Nikki Haley, and perhaps even Bob McDonnell (governor for two and a half years) have to come off of Cheney’s short list.  Names like Rob Portman, Bobby Jindal, Tim Pawlenty, and Rick Perry would remain on the list.  With Romney’s deep background as an executive, that quality was almost certainly his foremost consideration, too, so Cheney’s advice would only reinforce Romney’s instincts here.  Plus, it doesn’t look like Romney will need a game-changing VP pick to make up ground against a popular incumbent, so the need to roll the dice will be low.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 12 13 14 15

oldyeller on July 30, 2012 at 1:39 AM

A loon has posted!..:)

Dire Straits on July 30, 2012 at 1:58 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Despite what you think..He is correct!..:)

Dire Straits on July 30, 2012 at 1:59 AM

F***ing brilliant. Our only chance at repealing Obamacare is to elect the guy who made it possible by proving it could pass on a state level. And I’m supposed to put my faith in campaign promises? Really? Oh, that’s right. Romney’s past doesn’t matter anymore…

/facepalm

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Hey genius,

It’s the truth.

It’s called dealing with reality. ONly one way to repeal Obamacare:

1. Keep the HOuse

2. Take the Senate

3. Elect Romney.

That’s not an opinion, it’s a fact.

Do you think ROmney would veto an obamacare repeal bill?? If you don’t then you look like an absolute idiot for bringing up romneycare. For that kind of sloppy journalism I’d remove your podcast right off the local airwaves.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Page 14 Bishop

SparkPlug on July 30, 2012 at 2:01 AM

I’ve been mostly lurking in the thread for hours. Thanks for the entertainment…

OmahaConservative on July 30, 2012 at 2:01 AM

A lot of people seem to forget in all this shouting and the purity tests that Romney is a decent man and will respect the constitution.

Those two things sometimes get lost in all the surrounding white noise.

He’s certainly not perfect, but we have and could do a lot worse. I really don’t understand people who are resistive knowing the alternatives and knowing what needs to be done and are finally freed of the LSM propaganda shackles.

Oh well…. have we made 1300 posts yet? Good night!

kim roy on July 30, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Well, that leaves Bachmann and Newt out…

Gohawgs on July 30, 2012 at 1:20 AM

LoLz..:)

Dire Straits on July 30, 2012 at 2:02 AM

You’re the one who told earlier that all you would do for Romney was vote for him so don’t try to throw it back in my face when I call you out on it — I was only going on what you told me.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Oh I am absolutely not campaigning for him. No bumper stickers. No yard signs. But then again, I don’t have a car and I usually don’t do yard signs. But yeah. Not a single thin red penny, nor will I man ANY phone bank remotely associated with the Romney campaign itself. I have a feeling that this year, I’m going to be pretty heavily focused on the down-ticket campaigns, particularly in and around my home state. And of course, as I said, I have other platforms from which to bloviate.

I detest Mitt Romney…but it won’t be the first time in my adult life I will have voted for someone whom I detest. (cf. John McCain)

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 2:03 AM

We all want the whole thing repealed, but if they left some pieces in place isn’t that better than having the whole @$@# left in place? Look at how hard it is to get rid of these entitlements. We never got rid of social security, medicare, medicaid.

Getting rid of obamacare would be huge.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:55 AM

how so? If they remove the mandate it loses its funding mechinsim and simply adds to out debt. Itf they leave things in like pre exisitng coverge or the death panels how is tha tbetter then the whole think. By tinkering with it they will simply place their fingertips on the bill and when it fails which it will the blame will be harder then ever to place. also by leaving parts in it it gives future Congress and POTUS the baility to increase national healthcare. Nah wiht Obamacar eits all or nothing. the thought they they can fix this anti-freedom piece of crap tells me all I really need to know about the people Mitt surrounds himself with.

We never got rid of SS, Medicare welfare etc becaus ethe GOP thouoght they could replace the bad with the good. Instead of throwin g it all out they started thinking hey if we run it better the old folks will vote for us. If we give them more money they will vote for us…… nope the only way to get rid of entitlements is to get rid of them not to fix them

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Those two things sometimes get lost in all the surrounding white noise.

kim roy on July 30, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Really? You really believe that? I’d kind of like to see some evidence…

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 2:04 AM

here is my thinking at the mmoment it might change. I have a couple options. all of them bad. I can stay home. Not good for the down ticket races. I can go vote and leave the top spot blank which is where Im leaning as of now. I can vote for Obama. ROFLMAO on that one or I can vote for mitt and hope for change. I don’t do hope and change and I worry more about the conservative eastbalishment buckleing under and passing prgressive crap because its Mitt’s agenda more then a gop house working with a re-elected Obama. I firmly believe gridlock is the best answer when all your choices suck. Sometimes making sure nothing can get done is the best choice. So voting for a strong conservative Congress and praying they stop Obama and or Mitt..

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 1:56 AM

That’s really stupid – thinking that gridlock is the best option.

Haven’t you noticed how Maobama has worked around congress to make them irrelevant? Look at the EPA, gutting welfare reform, refusing to enforce immigration law, fast and furious, etc.

And again, do you want obamacare for life? Obama will find a way to get it entrenched for life if reelected. Remember, “we have to pass it to find out what’s in it”… just imagine all the garbage in there. If you don’t kill these massive entitlements right away you’ll stuck with them.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:05 AM

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Do you really trust the Republicans to fully repeal Obamacare to begin with? Do you believe that Obamacare is a legitimate law deserving of repeal to begin with? What are your feelings, if any, on state-level nullification if Romney does not or can not sign a full repeal bill?

Considering how many times in the last 30 years we have been screwed over by Republican pols, the faith some people show in Mitt Romney, a self-professed progressive, just begs credulity.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 2:07 AM

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 2:04 AM

We have no shot at all of getting rid of it with obama.

Our only shot is to elect Romney. Isnt it worth it to so?

YOu can push and influence Romney, especially with a conservative congress.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:08 AM

YOu can push and influence Romney, especially with a conservative congress.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Cause it’s worked so well in the past./

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 2:09 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Why would you ask me something so stupid—- if I think it’s a legit law that should be repealed?

Have you not read anything I’ve said???

And for the millionth time, Romney is pretty bad, I don’t have alot of faith in him but he HAS to sign a repeal bill as it’d be political suicide not to.

If we take the Senate and keep the House, then yes I think they pass a repeal bill. And the more conservatives we put in there then obviously the better the chance they don’t screw us.

And hold their feet to the fire the whole time.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Perhaps a tune to lighten the mood.

Bmore on July 30, 2012 at 2:12 AM

It’s way past my bedtime….

gryphon202

And your med time.

If you can spend all this time on hotair arguing with me, you can at least write a letter to the editor saying why Maobama must be defeated….

LevinFan

Why would he do that when he can write a letter to the editor whining about Romney? It’s his right, you know? ;)

See this is the problem with Mitt and his supporters.

They do not see that Obama has done any thing wrong.

Steveangell

The problem is you made a moronic argument(as usual)and got called on it. Yes, let’s re-elect Obama, and then impeach him. No problem, I’m sure Harry Reid will get right on it.

xblade on July 30, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Cause it’s worked so well in the past./

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 2:09 AM

What are you talking about?

When did Romney have a conservative congress? Are you talking about someone else?

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:13 AM

That’s really stupid – thinking that gridlock is the best option.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:05 AM

you do understand that gridlock is the feature of our government right? that it was designed to be in a constant state of gridlock? that checks and balances are another term for gridlock? that the founders designed the government so that human nature would work against the tendencies of government to repeal freedom? that the congress would work agains tthe POTUs and the POTUs would work against the COngress in their quest for power. Gridlock is a feature not a bug of our system It was meant to be in gridlock and the gridlock was only menat to be broken during times when the vast majority agreed something had to be done. the founders put their faith in gridlock to ensure our freedoms. I can do worse then follow the founders of this great country.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Our only shot is to elect Romney. Isnt it worth it to so?

YOu can push and influence Romney, especially with a conservative congress.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:08 AM

so you are voting for hope and change? you hope Mitt will change things isn’t that right?

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 2:17 AM

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 2:15 AM

And you do realize that Maobama has abused his power like no other to make the checks and balances irrelevant?

I said that the first time yet you ignored it, perhaps pay attention to what I’m actually saying this time?

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:18 AM

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Do you honestly not see major differences between Romney and Maobama?

Seriously??

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Heavy heavy heavy… Food for thought…

Scrumpy on July 30, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Whatever. Every election is a choice between two evils. The system just doesn’t offer much for the honorable or the altruistic. What we get is the ruthlessly pragmatic- if you really have a way to “hold his feet to the fire .. NOW”, he’ll respond.

If not, we pick the lesser of evils… as usual.

M240H on July 29, 2012 at 11:56 PM

It’s not true that we have to choose between two evils, Gary Johnson may not be your ideal candidate but he is not a statist and he supports the Constitution and Bill of Rights and isn’t a gun grabber like the other two. Yet, unlike Romney, Gary is a true moderate who will also appeal to civil libertarians on the left, so compromises would be necessary, but you can he isn’t going to continue to steal more and more of your freedom, liberty and wealth from you, he’s going to give it back to you!

His record as governor is far more impressive than Romney’s and Gary is actually the most qualified candidate. I don’t think Romney is going to last till the election and I doubt that Ron Paul is going to be able to pull off an upset at the convention so, Gary Johnson is the best man to save America. That is the only metric that should matter to people.

FloatingRock on July 30, 2012 at 2:25 AM

And you do realize that Maobama has abused his power like no other to make the

checks and balances irrelevant

?

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:18 AM

how so where does the funding for the EPA come from? Oh yeah that’s right that spending increase the GOP house agreed too. which branch of government provides funds to the army and defense department for the drones Obama is getting ready to use to spy on us. Yeah that’s right that GOp controlled house. In fact all spending bills start in the house. the fact that the GOp controlled house has choosen to work with Obama does not make check and blanaces irrelevant. the fact the GOP house refuses to impeach Obama for his power grabs does not make gridlock a stupid idea. It just means that the GOp doesn’t see Obama as the threat they tell you he is. If they did the government would be shut down and the funds would be revoked for Obama’s pet projects. So if the GOp has the power today to stop obama and roll back his programs and refuses to use that power for whatever reason what makes you think they will use it after the lection?

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 2:26 AM

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 2:26 AM

You’re making my point for me. The weak GOP house led by Boner is gutless to stand up to Maobama and his impeachable power grabs. Things will only get a million times worse in a Maobama 2nd term.

How much more freedom do we lose, how much more debt do we pile on, how many more defense cuts before it’s too much to recover from?

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:29 AM

/facepalm

gryphon202

Might want to take it easy on the facepalms, because you’re already not thinking clearly if you believe Obamacare was made possible by Romneycare.

xblade on July 30, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Meh, no big deal. Cheney prefers more executive experience. So what?

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Do you honestly not see major differences between Romney and Maobama?

Seriously??

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:19 AM

ones white ones black. One is an out and out marixst one is a closet porgressive. both agree on the major issues. both support Nfta, both our open borders, free traders, both think bailouts are great, both think global warming is real. Hell even soros the dem godfather doesn’t see much difference between the two. Both believe in global insitutions like the WTO, the import export bank, the IMF, the fed. I doubt either really would stop the backdoor bailout the USa is doing to europe via AIG. Or the war in Afganistian or the arab spring. Might be some differenc e in how they handle Iran. I think Mitt doesn’t hate the jews like Obama does. both aren’t goign to do a damn thing about abortion.

Sure there are differences. but on the core issues they like Bush before him and clonton before him and Bush before agree on about 80% of the stuff.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 2:34 AM

you hope Mitt will change things isn’t that right?

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 2:17 AM

It’s no stretch of the imagination to have confidence that Romney will get us on track to balancing the budget (which requires killing Obamacare), get our AAA rating back, and get the economy roaring back to 5 percent GDP or higher by lowering corporate taxes, capital gains and opening up domestic exploration.

It’s not sexy, but it does give me a hard-on.

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2012 at 2:38 AM

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:29 AM

You see it as “gutless” I see it has agreeing with him. If the gop eastbalishment really saw a threat do you think they would sit and wait for an election to act. They would move post haste to protect their power and wealth. They don’t se eObama as a threat. they see in Obama someone they can work with but need to appear to oppose for politcal reasons. they hav eno core. And if they have no core when it is political adavantage for them to have one what in your wildest dreams would make you think they will have a core when it is politically disadvatnagous for them to have one. because they would not take a chance to not work with a Republician POTUS. they will leave that to the dems to tell their votes how dangerous to the country Mitt is and how the dems can’t wait for 4 years to stop Mitt. and then they take over the house in 2014 and then what?

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 2:40 AM

He’s not pro life. And he doesn’t believe the states should make the decision. He believes in an age of viability for the fetus. I don’t know what “viable” means but I guess it’s when the baby can survive outside the womb. It’s a little too Sanger ish for me. I don’t vote for full on anti life candidates for president. It appears to be important to him.

Please correct me if I’m wrong. I got that info here

BoxHead1 on July 30, 2012 at 2:41 AM

FloatingRock on July 30, 2012 at 2:25 AM

BoxHead1 on July 30, 2012 at 2:42 AM

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 2:34 AM

I couldn’t disagree anymore strongly. There are clear-cut, major differences between the GOP and Obama, Reid, Pelosi, etc. To same they are all the same is to be sadly mistaken. Romeny is a million times better than the worst President in our lifetimes! I really think that if Obama is reelected that we may not recover as a country. As for comparing Romney to Obama, there are several stark differences. The bottom line is that Romney is NOT a Marxist. He won’t give a Medal of Honor to an American hating socialist. He won’t bow to dictators, he won’t sell out Israel, He won’t do deals like Solyndra, he won’t do Fast and Furious, he won’t raid Gibson guitars, he won’t gut our defense. Finally, consider the Supreme Court appointments. If Obama gets another term he could end up appointing four more radicals like Kagan and Sotomayor! Can you say goodbye any hope of individual and private property rights?? Scalia is no spring chicken, neither is Kennedy or Breyer. Ginsberg was born in 1933, Scalia and Kennedy 1936, and Breyer 1938. In the next 4 years, anything can happen!

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Thought I’d bring this thought over for y’all to mull over since you didn’t like the tune I sent over.
The only thing that matters right now is to rid the land of 0. If we don’t do that, the land is likely lost. Call it over the top rhetoric if you like. But its either get on board time or sit on the tracks and cry what might have been. Do what you have to do for you. As for me I’m gonna give it one last ditch effort settle on Romney and rid the Country of 0. The rest of this bs is just shiny things.

Bmore on July 30, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Bmore on July 30, 2012 at 2:45 AM

It’s not sexy, but it does give me a hard-on.

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2012 at 2:38 AM

So you think Mitt will cut the budget by $1.2 trillion? Hell the GOp after winning a landslide election not seen in generatiosn wasn’t brave enough to cut the spending by more than 100 million let alon a trillion. The AAA rating might come back under Mitt but that would require either the rating agenies to fold and just give it back to us or a massive cut or reaarangement of entitlements programs inclusing Obama care but in no way limited to to that means cuts in welfare, Social security, medicare, medicaid, school lunches, defense, civil works, massive layoffs in the govenrmental jobs. 5 percent growth? Reallly corportate taxes as far as I know haven’t gone up yet we are still under bush’s tax cuts and unemployment is still above 8%. Ther eis no politcal will to reduce capital gains taxes.

exploration? Maybe hopefully. Until gasoline falls below $3.00 and stays there for a long period of time ther eis no hope of arecovery.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Unseen,

You don’t like Mitt, take it up with Sarah. She’s the only one that really could’ve beaten him in the primary. She could’ve and should’ve won, but didn’t.

Sarah dropped the ball.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:51 AM

a massive cut or reaarangement of entitlements programs

exploration? Maybe hopefully.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Mitt’s a wonk. He’ll clean up entitlements by providing incentives. That’s how he got everything done in MA. Incentivizing behavior changes.

Whether Mitt believes in the individual mandate or not is irrelevant. Obamacare is too flipping expensive and Mitt wants it off the balance sheet.

The tricky part about domestic exploration is that oil has to be at $100/barrel or higher to incentivize producing it. Look at how natural gas tanked. All the fracking has glutted the market, and now we can’t export it fast enough.

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2012 at 2:53 AM

So you want Romney to win but talking about him being a progressive, now that’s some way to win votes!!!

Aren’t you a real wizard of smart??!!

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Serious question. Do you think it is worse for someone like gryphon202 to speak his mind about Romney’s obvious lack of conservative cred, and possibly push him to the right; or to antagonize anyone who has anything bad to say about Romney, and possibly make them decide not to vote, or leave the top of the ticket blank, say, like, oh, I don’t know, bluegill?

I’ve read about six pages of this, and you and gryphon202 don’t even disagree, you just don’t like him voicing his opinion because you think it will hurt Romney somehow? Maybe what he is doing is the best way to get Romney’s people to realize they need to do more to shore up the conservative support.

Night Owl on July 30, 2012 at 2:57 AM

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:43 AM

yeah maybe Mitt will nominate another roberts that will save us. romney is not a marxist. I agree I said so in the last post. h eis a closet progressive. I also s tated Mitt doesn’t hate the jews like Obama. As far as solyndra. Mitt will be doing the same thing rewarding campaign funders ith tax dollars. Its how the game is played now. You rememberthe sweet heart deals of Haliburton right? No bid contracts. etc…I doubt Mitt will gut defense but I also doubt he will gut anything in government. I don’t care who the POTUs gives a medal too. It doesn’t matter. and while he might not bow to dictators he will work hand in hand with world leaders giving up our freedom to places like the UN. did you hear antyhting from mitt about the arms treaty the UN was pushing? gibson gutiers? No Mitt will not use the power of the government to attack his politcal enemies I doubt think he would any how. You are talking about guiters and I’m talking about global warming carbon taxes, free trade. You are worried about the 20% they diagree on I’m worried about the 80% they agree on..

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 2:58 AM

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 2:47 AM

I disagree. I think there is ample political will to lower — or temporarily suspend — capital gains tax. And slash the corporate tax rate, and to provide incentives to invest.

There’s well over a trillion in capital investment that has been in limbo because of the uncertainty of Obama and his regulatory regime, and another 1.2 trillion in offshore capital that is waiting for a lower rate in order to repatriate. Remember Santorum’s idea to give it a one-time 5.25 percent tax rate in order to bring it back? That’s a lot of money just itching for some sort of clarity.

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Night Owl on July 30, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Mitt’s a RINO and I think that he thinks he has the conservative vote in the bag. I don’t think he’s going to move to the right before the election based on what we’re saying.

I’m looking at it as we desperately need to win and it’s much closer than it should be. By pointing out the bad things we all know about him it only decreases our chances of winning. It helps the left and the media use it against us.

ANd it’s too important not to do everything you can to ensure obama is defeated.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Fine you guys didn’t like that either. Heres something to mull over. The next President whoever he is, will be the most hated President outside of 0 in modern times. Why? If he does what needs to be done to save the Nation and right the ship. He will be hated.
! Why not let it be Romney then?

Bmore on July 30, 2012 at 3:05 AM

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Hmmm you want a glutted market. you want cheap inexpensive energy to power your economy. Sure its hell on the gas producers. They don’t make thier billions in profits. But for the avg guy heating his home that $100 he saves goes to buying maybe a new computer or going out to eat or shopping putting people to work. the more glutted the energy market the better for your economy.

Does mitt understand that concept? not sure if he does.

Think you are dreaming about entitlement reform. but hope you are right about Obamacare.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 3:06 AM

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 2:58 AM

I’ve mentioned to you before that I have family in MA who are Reagan conservatives and they adore Romney. They bring up how Romney closed courthouses in favor of simple kiosks in shopping malls for traffic tickets and marriage licenses. Why do we need a huge alabaster building that takes millions to maintain?

That’s the kind of privatization and cost-cutting Romney loves: modernization.

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2012 at 3:08 AM

@Bmore on July 30, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Great tune, great movie!

@Bmore on July 30, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Well said and Amen to the bs and shiny things!

OldWeaselKeeper on July 30, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Do you really trust the Republicans to fully repeal Obamacare to begin with?

Nope, not really. I’ve been saying since it passed that the SC would uphold it instead of doing the right thing, would be here to stay. But hey, may as well give it a shot because it’s about the only one we have.

We can believe it’s the most illegitimate law ever passed in the history of the world, but guess what? It’s the law of the land, and it ain’t going anywhere without repeal.

State nullification will happen right after the unicorns go on strike.

gryphon202

I have little faith in Romney and the Repubs; I have no faith in Obama and the Dems. Re-elect Obama and company, and the country is done for. Period. There will be no coming back. And it may be done for with Romney and company….but it may not be. There’s a chance they will do the right thing, slight though it may be. Still, a slight chance is better than no chance.

The options suck, but they are the options we have. The sad reality though is the country is most likely already done for anyway, even if we could have any president we wanted.

xblade on July 30, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Sarah dropped the ball.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Why would I do that. mit tan dhis team by posioning the water for the last 3 years irt Palin is most likely one of the main reasons Palin choose not to run. So let me get this striaght you blame Palin for making a decision based on Mitt’s actions and threats of coninued actions. nice.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 3:12 AM

They don’t make thier billions in profits.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 3:06 AM

I’m just making the argument on the other side of the fence. We have so much natural resources unexploited that a free reign on exploration and development will tank the market. Do I want this? ABSOLUTELY.

As a private equity guy and a turnaround artist, Mitt is too concerned with leaving a flawless balance sheet for him to swallow Obamacare and runaway entitlements. They will all come under the surgeon’s knife. And remember, he loves to fire people. So you’re going to see a lot of government workers getting their pink slips.

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2012 at 3:12 AM

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Now you’re just being intellectually dishonest. They do NOT agree on 80%.

On the major issues:

socialized medicine: Romney has pledged to repeal obamacare, obama wants single payer. …. and since you and others keep bringing it up: romenycare was wanted in MA, not jammed down people’s throats like obamacare.

Capitalism: Romney is successful businessman and is self made. He values the hard work of business owners and was visibly p@ssed at Obama’s “you didn’t build that” BS.

COnstitution: Romney is not a tyrant who thinks he can ignore laws like Obama has with immigration and by gutting welfare reform.

National defense: Romney believes in a strong defense that protects our interest, obama will allow Iran to get nukes and has already stopped harsh interrogations.

Romney won’t pass garbage like Dodd Frank that will kill small business and the economy as a whole. In fact, he has campaigned on repealing it.

…. I’m off to bed… check this out as a parting gift:

And remember what Palin has said all along: that it’s Anyone But Obama.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 3:13 AM

That’s the kind of privatization and cost-cutting Romney loves: modernization.

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2012 at 3:08 AM

what do they say about him raisng all the fees for those marriage licenses and traffic tickets?

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 3:14 AM

OldWeaselKeeper on July 30, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Good Night, Sleep Well All.

Bmore on July 30, 2012 at 3:16 AM

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Fees have an element of choice. Taxes don’t. Again, it’s back to incentives.

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2012 at 3:17 AM

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2012 at 3:12 AM

always look at the record not the hype:

The two leading contenders for the Republican presidential nomination — Texas Gov. Rick Perry and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney — have cast themselves as foot soldiers in the war against government workers.

Romney has criticized President Obama for presiding over an “unparalleled” expansion of the federal workforce that he would see rolled back, while Perry has insisted altogether that it’s not the place of government to create jobs.

Yet both men have presided over substantial additions to state government payrolls at taxpayer expense during their tenures as governor, a review of historical employment data found.

When Romney took office in January 2003, the Massachusetts state government employed 112,000 workers, according to the state Department of Labor and Workforce Development.

Four years later, the ranks of Massachusetts state employees had grown by 3,000, or a 2.6 percent increase. (Over the same period, nonfarm employment grew just 1.2 percent.)

Romney didn’t give them a pink slip he gave them a taxpayer funded paycheck.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 3:20 AM

On the major issues:

…. I’m off to bed… check this out as a parting gift:

And remember what Palin has said all along: that it’s Anyone But Obama.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 3:13 AM

just so much wrong with tha tpost but too tired to rebut.

calling it anight.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Romney didn’t give them a pink slip he gave them a taxpayer funded paycheck.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Hmm. Would like to see what the rate of expansion was prior to Romney, and after. And 2.6 percent over four years is less than a percentage point per year. That’s not enough to make me consider him a big government progressive, especially in a state dominated by the worst of the Left.

So Mitt had his training wheels on when he was governor of a deeply blue state. It’ll be different with a Tea Party infused House and a flipped Senate.

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2012 at 3:28 AM

In the Spring of 2009,
Only 4 people took an immediate and vocal stand against Obama: Limbaugh, Palin, Levin and Cheney …in that order. Even people like Hannity were all wobbly on the issue of being deferential to the new President and respecting the office, in spite of his having spent the prior 18 months exposing Obama as a Socialist.
Sad to see that Cheney is just another Rino elitist…as if he were a mouthpiece for Boehner, McConnell, Alexander or Upton…a despicable lot. Meanwhile, Palin quietly plugs along inserting new GOP/Tea Party Senators and Congressmen against the wishes of the Elites…must drive’em nuts. Almost every battle they pick with her, they lose…this will end no differently.

Afterseven on July 30, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Very late to the party here. I still like and respect Dick Cheney. He’s just plain wrong. As a human being, that’s allowed.

swinia sutki on July 30, 2012 at 6:19 AM

If Palin’s “irrelevant”, why are Liberals and the GOP Elite still attacking her? My take.

kingsjester on July 30, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Dick Cheney just scored a goal on his own team, while helping to undermine Sarah Palin, the person the Democrats fear the most, along with confirming that Romney’s strategy is to run against Sarah Palin and Barrack Obama in the general election, while selecting someone like Bob Portman or Tim Pawlenty as his VP.

The result? The person that Democrats previously despised has now crossed over and is helping to re-elect their guy, as the course that Romney has embarked on may very well ensure Obama’s re-election, despite the best efforts of conservative grass roots leaders like Sarah Palin, and tea partiers to defeat Obama.

What is troubling is that most conservative commentators and bloggers refuse to see what is going on and are unwilling to call out Cheney, the Republican establishment and Romney.

john.frank on July 30, 2012 at 6:57 AM

2008? Whatever. Will she be an asset is some way, any way for 2012?

rhombus on July 30, 2012 at 7:14 AM

john.frank on July 30, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Hey, John Frank, are you a comedy writer? Is that some kind of satire? Democrats do NOT fear Sarah Palin. Maybe they did for a day or two after her VP selection was made, but once she started speaking out and people started getting to know more about her, her electability plummeted and she became the laughing stock (in the eyes of most of the country) she remains today. Dems were practically begging her to run last year because they know what a joke she is and how badly she would have lost a general election. Outside Palin’s small group of worshipers (the sort we see spam Palin-related threads on this site), the only people who REALLY wanted Palin to run were Dems and the Obama campaign.

john.frank on July 30, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Earth to John Frank, earth to John Frank. Here’s a newsflash for you: Dick Cheney is RIGHT. Sarah Palin did NOT pass the first hurdle (being ready to take over as President), and her selection was a mistake. McCain barely knew anything about Palin, yet he chose her to be potentially next in line to the presidency? That’s not exactly responsible decision-making on McCain’s part.

Anyway, it’s time to move on. Cheney is only saying outloud what most conservatives already believe: Palin may be right on a lot of issues, but she’s not exactly presidential material nor is she one of our brightest conservative lights. Others (Walker, Rubio, Ryan, Jindal, to name a few) besides Palin are far more deserving of national attention. The whining about poor, little old Sarah Palin is getting tiresome.

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 7:24 AM

The whining about poor, little old Sarah Palin is getting tiresome.

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 7:24 AM

And, that’s why you just kvetched on the 14th page of comments.

ROFL at the DNC plant.

kingsjester on July 30, 2012 at 7:31 AM

john.frank on July 30, 2012 at 6:57 AM

A lot of them are bought , some are rino sluts (blowgills) shilling for the establishment.

the_nile on July 30, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Afterseven on July 30, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Sarah Palin is not the reason for Tea Party success. Sarah Palin is “inserting” no one. Sarah Palin may try to co-opt the Tea Party for her own self-interests, but that doesn’t give her worshipers (like Afterseven) any right to credit Palin with any and all Tea Party victories.

You are overstating Palin’s influence. After all, take a look at how her endorsement of Newt Gingrich turned out. Turned out to be a HUGE flop, as a vastly superior candidate trounced Newt in FL. Palin campaigned for a brokered convention, suggesting that she might throw her hat in the ring, but voters rightly rejected that stupid idea.

It’s kind of sad how you Palin worshipers look to the competence-challenged Palin, who resigned in disgrace as governor before even completing a single term in office, as if she’s some goddess. She has been on some winning teams and some losing teams in the endorsement game, just like anyone else.

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 7:36 AM

some are rino sluts (blowgills) shilling for the establishment.

the_nile on July 30, 2012 at 7:32 AM

How nice. Another Palin groupie who likes to engage in obscene, sexist insults against conservatives who refuse to kiss up to Palin. Wouldn’t Sarah be so proud of her flock?

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Sad to see that Cheney is just another Rino elitist

Afterseven on July 30, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Hahaha, what a joke! So speaking the obvious (i.e., that the Palin pick was a mistake) makes someone not a true conservative? Now Dick Cheney is just another RINO? Give me a break. You Palin groupies are an embarrassment to this site.

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 7:41 AM

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Stop your whining, rino fluffer. Nothing conservative about mitt, he’s just slightly less evil than Obama.

the_nile on July 30, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Give me a break. You Palin groupies are an embarrassment to this site.

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Don’t let the door hit you…

Night Owl on July 30, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Night Owl on July 30, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Of course LevinFan and I don’t disagree. That’s what I’ve been trying to say throughout my whole participation in this thread. The difference is not whether we think Romney is a stinking worthless RINO; the difference between us is that I am advocating complete and even brutal honesty while, for the purposes of Romney’s campaign, LevinFan (and others) are advocating dishonesty. It’s really that simple.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Fees have an element of choice. Taxes don’t. Again, it’s back to incentives.
John the Libertarian on July 30, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Wait… paying parking tickets is optional?

dominigan on July 30, 2012 at 7:59 AM

xblade on July 30, 2012 at 2:30 AM

If you don’t believe me, believe Jonathan Gruber.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Bottom line… if Palin was a liberal the Democrats would make her a star. Obama would have picked her as his VP. She’d be keynote speaker to the Dem convention and all the RINO’s would respect her.

JellyToast on July 30, 2012 at 8:03 AM

JellyToast on July 30, 2012 at 8:03 AM

False logic. If Palin was a liberal, she wouldn’t be Palin. She’d be just like the rest of the Democrat freak show.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 8:04 AM

you can just feel the envy dripping from each and everyone of bluegills post. a true leftist. the romney camp is filled with them.

the real fun begins after november 2012.

renalin on July 30, 2012 at 8:08 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 7:56 AM

I feel your pain. My father thinks that I shouldn’t say anything about Romney now that he’s the nominee, even if we’re just on his back porch.

Night Owl on July 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Night Owl on July 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I do kind of understand the whole “what good will it do now?” mindset, but that doesn’t mean I agree with it.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 8:15 AM

A vacant VP seat is better than Joe Gaffe-a-minute Biden.

racquetballer on July 30, 2012 at 8:16 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Well, if I’m being completely and even brutally honest, I would have to say that gryphon202 is just preoccupied with how he is perceived by other commenters. Gryphon apparently wants to make sure that people think he is such a principled conservative that he goes out of his way to talk down Mitt whenever possible, even when it’s not really appropriate, lest he be perceived as an enthusiastic Mitt supporter… even if it means essentially campaigning against Romney. It’s no wonder that other commenters like the conservative LevinFan (who understand the importance of this election and of defeating Obama) are growing tired of gryphon’s habitual “look how conservative I am” bashing of Romney.

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 8:19 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Yes, but it’s also kind of funny to think that you, as an anonymous commenter on a blog are going to tank Romney’s candidacy by making a remark people don’t find helpful. If that were true, bluegill really would quit commenting until after the election. She does more harm to Romney than any honest criticism would.

Night Owl on July 30, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Night Owl on July 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Your father is a wise man who apparently understands that Obama needs to go. You should listen to your father more often.

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 8:22 AM

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Again, I would remind you, gilled one, Romney called himself progressive. I didn’t pull that out of my ass. Again, I would remind you that Jonathan Gruber worked for both Romney AND Obama in helping to write both their respective health care reform bills. These are settled questions of fact, and denial ain’t just a river in Egypt, eh?

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 8:23 AM

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 8:22 AM

You should take my advice and shut your trap until after the election.

Night Owl on July 30, 2012 at 8:42 AM

…..and he thinks mittens milquetoast is ‘READY’? now that’s a joke!

dump mittens now…HE’S NOT READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Palin continues to rock…BIG TIME!!!

Pragmatic on July 30, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Sad to see that Cheney thinks that ONLY career politicians are capable leaders. Good thing he wasn’t around here in the late 1700s.

While I thought highly of him as a VP, this is absolute nonsense. I firmly believe that the best natural leaders can only come from the private sector. This thought is very much fueling the Tea Party movement. Cheney comes off as a King George apologist here.

kpguru on July 30, 2012 at 9:15 AM

BTW, the only reason Cheney supports gay marriage is because one
of his daughters is gay, got married (?) I believe and may also
have children.

Third party next go around!!!!! Get rid of the rinos!

Amjean on July 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM

You’re right, that is probably the only reason Cheney supports gay marriage.

I’ll ask you though, if you were in the same position would you change your stance? How would you feel about your daughter? Do you think she would have an immoral lifestyle and would be a sinner for doing so?

It’s a bit different when it’s your daugther isn’t?

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Not really. Cheney’s political expediency on this subject doesn’t
equate in my world.

My opinion is that marriage is between a man and a woman. Period.
End of Story.

I am okay with a gay couple having a civil union.

Whether a child of mine is gay has no revelance,
and shouldn’t.

The next thing you will be telling me is that because my child
joins a terrorist group I should change my opinion on that too! LOL

Amjean on July 30, 2012 at 9:21 AM

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I have a 23 year old neice who is gay. I love her with all my heart and would lay down my life for her. I pray for her everyday. But, she knows how I feel about gay marriage.

Marriage is one man, one woman. Period.

kingsjester on July 30, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Noticed that Gov. Palin’s endorsed candidate Ted Cruz is up 10 points. She was the first to put that no name on the map. Cheney, you old fart, when was the last time your endorsements ment anything. Cheney is such an AZZ!

Gov. Palin is the most powerful conservative in the country today. Only romneycare, the bushie’s and the beltway swill republicans don’t admit it!

Danielvito on July 30, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Hold up a sec…
I gotta get more popcorn.

verbaluce on July 30, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Danielvito

Yes, and you’re the most powerful midget-transvestite.

Rusty Allen on July 30, 2012 at 9:58 AM

f you really meant that, you would shut up until November 7, 2012.

Night Owl on July 30, 2012 at 1:55 AM

PLEASE ….
I am sick the bait around here ….

conservative tarheel on July 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM

The only way this gets better is if they both get RNC convention speaking slots…back to back.

verbaluce on July 30, 2012 at 10:03 AM

closing on 1400 …..

conservative tarheel on July 30, 2012 at 10:04 AM

1396…

steebo77 on July 30, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I don’t know about that: how long would you have to have been a governor in order to be “qualified”? Cheney was never a governor, so is it okay to have been a member of the House instead so long as you serve at least 5 terms?

littleguy on July 30, 2012 at 10:20 AM

“I like Governor Palin. I’ve met her. I know her. She – attractive candidate. But based on her background, she’d only been governor for, what, two years. I don’t think she passed that test…of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake.”

Very well said.

She’s a great woman but she was not ready for the gig. If Katie Couric can get the best of you, you’re not ready.

But the other problem was greater: Though I thought she wasn’t ready, I liked her a lot better than the top of the ticket.

Anyone remember Ann Coulter during the primaries when it wasn’t clear who might win the Democrat party nomination, but there was still a great chance it would be Hillary? Ann said that if McCain faced Hillary, Republicans should vote for Hillary because the Republicans in Congress would know they should oppose Hillary’s proposals but might not realize they should oppose McCain’s.

I was able to hold my nose in the voting booth but I sense many were not. And I don’t think it was over Sarah Palin’s qualifications.

EconomicNeocon on July 30, 2012 at 10:47 AM

EconomicNeocon on July 30, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Wasn’t really what happened, Biden said really stupid things but media wasn’t interested in promoting that.

Media is a propaganda tool and with enough material to edit they can shape the narrative.

the_nile on July 30, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Haven’t read the whole thread – too much now – but I don’t think whether Palin was ready or not was the real problem with the 08 election. I think, now in 20/20 hindsight, that McCain was the wrong person for the top spot – so the VP choice didn’t matter that much.

dentarthurdent on July 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM