Cheney: Palin pick in ’08 “a mistake”

posted at 12:31 pm on July 29, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

As we wait for Mitt Romney to pick his running mate in the next few weeks, the last successful GOP running mate has been privately advising the current GOP nominee and the head of his VP search committee, Beth Myers.  Cheney believes that the #2 slot has to be filled with someone ready to take over the top job on Day 1 — and that John McCain flunked that test in 2008.  In an interview with ABC News’ Jonathan Karl, Cheney called the selection of Sarah Palin “a mistake”:

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Cheney would not comment on what he told Romney and Myers, but he was harsh in his assessment of McCain’s decision to pick Palin.

“That one,” Cheney said, “I don’t think was well handled.”

“The test to get on that small list has to be, ‘Is this person capable of being president of the United States?’”

Cheney believes Sarah Palin failed that test.

“I like Governor Palin. I’ve met her. I know her. She – attractive candidate. But based on her background, she’d only been governor for, what, two years. I don’t think she passed that test…of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake.”

Whoo-ee!  Both Palin and Cheney are beloved by the conservative base, so I’m not sure which will get beat up more over this commentary. I’d guess that the Left is passing the popcorn this morning.

Rather than focus on that, what does this say about Cheney’s advice to Romney and Myers?  Using this framework, names like Marco Rubio, Kelly Ayotte, Susana Marinez, Nikki Haley, and perhaps even Bob McDonnell (governor for two and a half years) have to come off of Cheney’s short list.  Names like Rob Portman, Bobby Jindal, Tim Pawlenty, and Rick Perry would remain on the list.  With Romney’s deep background as an executive, that quality was almost certainly his foremost consideration, too, so Cheney’s advice would only reinforce Romney’s instincts here.  Plus, it doesn’t look like Romney will need a game-changing VP pick to make up ground against a popular incumbent, so the need to roll the dice will be low.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 11 12 13 14 15

You absolutely are a coward. And if you care to try to stop my vocal criticism of Romney, you are welcome to. I don’t think you’ll meet with much success.

I don’t react out of fear. I act out of pragmatism, hence my willingness to vote for a progressive who doesn’t hate America (Romney) as opposed to a Marxist revolutionary who does hate America (Obama). We don’t have a conservative alternative. But I’m not going to gloss over or ignore Romney’s shortcomings simply because I got shafted clear up the bunghole in the primary process. The time to hold his feet to the fire is NOW. And I defy any “patriot” to try and stop me.

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Do whatever you want. I explained to you why everyone rational American should be afraid that Maobama might get reelected. I asked you the same question and instead of giving an honest answer you throw back a stupid and completely out of place insult. Nice job, douchebag…

You earned it!

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Amy Kremer ‏@AmyKremer
VP Cheney, the #teaparty & Gov @SarahPalinUSA made 2010 happen, not the GOP. #Palin is more qualified than our current president. #tcot

john.frank on July 29, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Amy Kremer ‏@AmyKremer
It’s statements such as VP Cheney’s about @sarahpalinusa that put the #GOP n the position where the #TeaParty is more relevant thn they are.

john.frank on July 29, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Ok a debate on Religion can get us 200 more easy.

Keep up the good work

SparkPlug on July 29, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I’m joining the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. What?

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2012 at 11:45 PM

You earned it!

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Is your irony meter broken? I couldn’t tell you how many rombots have cried foul over me calling them douchebags. But anyhow, if you really honestly believe that reacting out of fear over what Obama might do with a second term is a “patriotic” way to conduct oneself, your own cowardice speaks for itself as well.

Pip-pip, cheerie-o!

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Amy Kremer ‏@AmyKremer
Only an establishment Republican that doesn’t understand the grassroots would make a silly statement about @sarahpalinusa. #tcot #Teaparty

john.frank on July 29, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Jedediah Bila ‏@JedediahBila
Anyone arguing we need a VP choice less like Palin & West and more like Portman & Jeb Bush is out of touch w/ voters. And reality.

john.frank on July 29, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Pip-pip, cheerie-o!

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I asked you an honest question and got nothing but garbage in return.

If you’re not afraid of Maobama getting a second term there’s something wrong with you!

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 11:55 PM

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Whatever. Every election is a choice between two evils. The system just doesn’t offer much for the honorable or the altruistic. What we get is the ruthlessly pragmatic- if you really have a way to “hold his feet to the fire .. NOW”, he’ll respond.

If not, we pick the lesser of evils… as usual.

M240H on July 29, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I asked you an honest question and got nothing but garbage in return.

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 11:55 PM

I’m doing everything in my power to stop it. That doesn’t mean I’m afraid of it. Acting out of fear or anger is never a good thing. They cloud one’s judgement.

So could you explain to me how your “Rah-rah sis-boom-bah, Romney’s conservative! Yah yah yah!” does anything to further movement conservatism except make you feel better? Or conversely, would you explain to me just how you think I am damaging Romney’s chances by being brutally honest about him? You didn’t really think that all the folks that said “I’m through picking the lesser of two evils” after 2008 were blowing smoke up your ass, did you?

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Ok a debate on Religion can get us 200 more easy.

Keep up the good work

SparkPlug on July 29, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I’m joining the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. What?

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2012 at 11:45 PM

So you are a Pastatarian.

BoxHead1 on July 30, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I keep forgetting the the ?marks. Blog posting is hard work.

BoxHead1 on July 30, 2012 at 12:05 AM

If not, we pick the lesser of evils… as usual.

M240H on July 29, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I’ve seen some things that have actually been mildly encouraging. Romney can give one hella good stump speech when he knows just what people want to hear. It’s what Romney does when he thinks he’s flying under the radar that worries me. (cf. Mike Leavitt)

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Glenn Reynolds on Cheney’s own goal:

IT’S TRUE. THE GOP WOULD HAVE HAD A BETTER CHANCE IF SHE HAD BEEN ON TOP OF THE TICKET. Cheney: Picking Palin for VP was a ‘mistake.’

She probably wouldn’t have panicked like McCain did: “Before TARP failed as policy, it first failed as politics, with John McCain’s panicky announcement — Sept. 24, 2008 — that he would fly back to Washington to push for passage of the bailout. As I explained two weeks later, this was the decision that ensured Obama’s election.” McCain was in the lead from Palin’s selection until then. Then he tanked, and never recovered.

john.frank on July 30, 2012 at 12:07 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Why do you make assumptions about me?

I never said Romney was a conservative. He’s a RINO, I know exactly what he is.

As for not bad mouthing him before the election, that’s just common sense. Look, I’m not saying not to be honest, to call it as you see it. If ROmney picks a RINO for VP, I’ll criticize him for it. What I think is counterproductive is to trash Romney- to keep bringing up Romneycare and things like that. It’s not the primary anymore and major stuff like that only hurt our chances in NOvember.

And those folks that said they’re done picking the lesser of two evils are losers. Maobama is the worst president in history. He gets a 2nd term and the Republic is lost. That’s just being realistic. Those losers unwilling to fight are the true cowards.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 12:08 AM

So you are a Pastatarian.

BoxHead1 on July 30, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Pastafarian.
*I kid-I’m still Catholic…for now. LoL*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 30, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Romney can give one hella good stump speech

I Remember him having some great moments at the debates. Some painful moments and bland moments as well. But he did shine a few times.

BoxHead1 on July 30, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I don’t react out of fear. I act out of pragmatism, hence my willingness to vote for a progressive [...blah, blah, blah, more redundant content edited out for the sake of brevity] And I defy any “patriot” to try and stop me.

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Every time I look at one of these threads, there is gryphon202 carrying on and on with declarations essentially saying, “no one will stop me from bashing Mitt! Oh, no, they won’t! Because, you see, I am just special and so principled and conservative like that. Do you hear me? Did I mention that I am so principled that I am going to criticize Mitt more than I criticize Obama? I dare any of you to try to stop me.”

It’s the same thing from him every day. Meanwhile, no one much cares what gryphon says, though he’s always writing about how no one will shut him up.

It seems like he is most interested in looking a certain way to other HotAir readers.

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Why do you make assumptions about me?

I never said Romney was a conservative. He’s a RINO, I know exactly what he is.

So voting for a RINO is patriotic because he’s not Obama. Thanks for clearing that up. I was making logical educated guesses about you that I suppose turned out to be wrong.

Romney called himself progressive. I did not pull this out of my ass. That sort of political shenanigan SHOULD hurt his chances in November. And if he was lying when he said it 10 years ago, being a liar should hurt his chances. I can hardly imagine how bad Romney would have to be for an entire nation to consider the national suicide of re-electing Obama, but the gilded one made it in once. Who knows? What I do know is that you are fearful of Obama and acting thusly without thought or regard as to what kind of person/politician Mitt Romney is, and you are actively encouraging me and others to do the same. And I refuse to do so. Tough shit, Butch. That’s the way the world turns.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Keep talking like that. You’re sure to win hearts and minds by the thousands./

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM

and another great tweet:

Palin as VP wasn’t a mistake. McCain as a candidate was a mistake. http://thehill.com/video/campaign/240883-cheney-says-mccains-selection-of-palin-for-vp-was-a-mistake

ChuckTX on July 29, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Glad you posted this hill article. So,Cheney said he had spoken with Romney and Beth Myers, the campaign adviser heading the search for the vice presidential pick but would not publically share his advice.

Well he publically shared his advice regarding Sarah Palin. And according to that advice, I see many names that Beth Myers suggested should be passed over. Didn’t Cheney know the list of names Myers sent out?

bluefox on July 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Hah. You care enough to respond to me. Not so apathetic.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 12:18 AM

SparkPlug on July 29, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I’m joining the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. What?

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Excellent. I’ll be giving the next sermon.

Flying spaghetti sounds like a food fight, lol

SparkPlug on July 30, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Just wannabe the last commenter.

Say Mitt picks Palin, then what? Watch the establishment GOPers’ heads explode?

Meanwhile, public sector unions along with corrupt city, county, and state officials are running this country to the ground. 3 Calfornia cities gone bankrupt; 70 billion dollar high speed rail to nowhere forced down our throats; Gas prices amongst the highest in the nation.

Go ahead Mitt, pick someone like Palin. Can’t do worse than Joe BFD Biden. We’re still effed in California.

racquetballer on July 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Cheney believes Sarah Palin failed that test.

“I like Governor Palin. I’ve met her. I know her. She – attractive candidate. But based on her background, she’d only been governor for, what, two years. I don’t think she passed that test…of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake.”

You know, Cheney is right. My respect for him has increased. He had the guts to say what nearly everyone else is thinking.

Think about it, guys. Imagine if a Democrat nominee had selected an unvetted Dem VP candidate with as slim a resume as Palin’s. Don’t you think we might have had just a little bit of a problem with that?

McCain knew next to nothing about Palin, and seemed to pick her purely for political reasons. And you guys are jumping on Cheney for pointing out the obvious; i.e., that the selection wasn’t handled well?

Sorry, but at this point (and especially after nearly 4 years of Obama), I couldn’t care less about flashy celebrity candidates. No more cartoony gimmicks like Sarah Palin. I want serious, capable, steady leaders. Portman, Pawlenty and Jindal all fit the bill, and all three are fine conservatives.

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Just wannabe the last commenter.
racquetballer on July 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

DENIED!

BoxHead1 on July 30, 2012 at 12:28 AM

“I like Governor Chairman (Oil & Gas Conservation Commission) Palin. I’ve met her. I know her. She – attractive candidate. But based on her background, she’d only been Commissioner for, what, two one year. I don’t think she passed that test…of being ready to take over. And I think that was it’s a mistake for her to run for the office of Governor.”

Frank Murkowski…

Gohawgs on July 30, 2012 at 12:29 AM

“Nearly everyone else?!” Weasel words much?

Oh, instead we had an unvetted Presidential candidate who won against John McCain in 2008. LOGIC FAIL.

God forbid. Presidential candidates never pick running mates for political purposes. I think McCain was the first or something/

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Apparently you don’t give a rat’s furry ass about conservative candidates either. Whatevs. I hope you get what you want, and I hope you get it good and hard, Butch.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM

1000 comments, or bust

Schadenfreude on July 29, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Excellent. Ladies and gents, you are wonderful.

Schadenfreude on July 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM

The term “Palin pick” (when referring to VP candidate selections) will forever be used to describe a potential pick who is unqualified, could turn out to be unprepared, but would be chosen simply for politics.

Candidates in the future will want to always avoid making a “Palin pick”. That is a significant part of Palin’s legacy.

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 12:36 AM

(Brings 5 cans of Sardines).

Hi, I am opening some cans of sardines now. Did you know that Squirrels! like them too?

5,000 posts or bust!

(Deposits sardine fillet on pile and walks away until the thread passes 10,000)

Del Dolemonte on July 30, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Ok, who chummed the water with tofu?…

Gohawgs on July 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM

He called himself Progressive… yeah, how does it help to keep whining about that like a baby now?

You’re voting for Romney b/c you obvioulsy realize he’s better than Maobama. So how does it help to keep repeating the worst things about Romney from the past?

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Again with the irony! You want someone who will ensure Obama’s ouster, and yet you do NOT want someone who will upset the apple cart in any other way. This, ladies and gentlemen, is a perfect example of the festering gangrenous wound in our body-politic.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

“Nearly everyone else?!” Weasel words much?

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM

My bad. I meant to say, “everyone but the small handful of Palin-worshiping shut-ins who pop up on threads like this one.”

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Ok, who chummed the water with tofu?…

Gohawgs on July 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Darth Vader. But, Liz saved the family honor.

TitularHead on July 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I will NOT be DENIED!

What does Cheney think of John McCain, Bob Dole, Dan Quayle, or Spiro Agnew; All mistakes as well? What’s Cheney’s thoughts on Chief Justice John Roberts? Another mistake?

racquetballer on July 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Liz saved the family honor.

TitularHead on July 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Should be a “nice” family din din come Sunday…

Gohawgs on July 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM

We can live with the status quo.

kim roy on July 29, 2012 at 8:18 PM

No, we can’t.

ddrintn on July 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM

If the alternative is Obama, I think we can.

And if all goes as it should, it’s only temporary.

But thanks for playing.

kim roy on July 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Follow me here. I know this kind of logic is tough for you, so I’ll type slowly:

I am asserting the truth as concerns Mitt Romney. No more and no less. You respond by calling his detractors, myself included, “cowards” and “losers,” among other epithets I don’t want to dignify with too much repetition. You have as much as admitted you are acting out of fear, while criticizing me because I am not.

Now what exactly have I said here, in this particular post or upthread, that is false? You take umbrage with what I am saying, even while you appear to agree with me. That’s what I don’t get.

Sure, Romney’s a RINO. You don’t care. I do. But we both agree on that point. Where we disagree is on whether Romney, as the presumptive candidate, is entitled to my or anyone else’s silence on that issue. NO NO NO. A million times, NO! I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on that salient point. It’s way past my bedtime and I’m a little thin on patience.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM

No candidate is that popular right now. Not Romney, not Obama,Ryan, Demint, Perry, Gigngrich def not Biden or Sharpton or Pelosi,,, or even Palin.

There is an apathy out there right now.

But Palin is trying to fight that off. She is still attacking with a smile on her face. And whether you think she is fake or real, her energy is infectious. Her name keeps coming up. People still hate her and love her. And it’s not because she’s got a nice face but because she unabashedly says and does the right,even if not popular, thing. Chik Fila being the latest.

And BTW politicians aren’t some computer scientists with algorithms scrawled across their black boards. They are #1 glad handers #2 charismatic #3 have guts #4 Can lie about anything…skills that are rare and valuable but not “academic” . THey aren’t engineers. Jimmy Carter was an engineer no others I can think of.

BoxHead1 on July 30, 2012 at 12:46 AM

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Again with the Dale Carnegie-esque wit. Effing brilliant./

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM

C’mon, you know “loud talking” someone is a one-way street…

Gohawgs on July 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM

If not, we pick the lesser of evils… as usual.

M240H on July 29, 2012 at 11:56 PM

the only reason we have the lesser of two evils “every election” is because of what they did to Palin and many in the GOP like Chenny continue to do. they tear down the good upstanding people because they can’t match them and try to replace them with pale copies of those people. They have tried to do that with some success with Reagan. Every GOp politician pretends to believe in what Reagan believed. Yet they don’t. I hav eonly seen one wiht the ability to bring back Reaganism to the national stage and the media and knagroo court of the gop establishment hung her out to dry..

Palin was clean. She owed no one anything. Her record was outstanding, her ideology was crytal clear, she exposed the can do spirit of America, she understood what the founding documents said not what she wanted them to say and she governened within the law that all others had to live under. Her 25,000 emails proved that, her record proved that, her character her family proved that. Her words, her actiosn all pointed to the same conclusion. Palin never once considered herself “more equal” then the rest of America, like the Cheney’s of the world think of themselves. You want an election where you don’t have to pick the lesser of two evils? then you stand up and defend clean politicians who’s only sin was cleaning up the cesspool of politics. You don’t support idiots like Mitt who are part of the problem because he isn’t as bad as Obama. you use your head and your eyes and you support those that don’t just say the “right things” but those who do the right things. the stag eis set. The progressives won this election. The liberals aren’t voting for the lesser of two evils this election. they are votinf for the best progressive. And they will settle for the lesser progressive. the liberals have set the stage for a win-win election while conservative accept the lesser of two evils.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Del Dolemonte on July 30, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Cheers!

Schadenfreude on July 30, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Over 30,000 emails say that Sarah Palin has been “vetted.”

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 12:52 AM

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

…and Liz Cheney. Ooops…

Dongemaharu on July 30, 2012 at 12:53 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 12:57 AM

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 12:51 AM

You don’t have to settle..You can write in Palin or vote for Johnson or Obie!..Take your pick!..:)

Dire Straits on July 30, 2012 at 12:58 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Let’s get this straight:

I call those losers and cowards who don’t think it’s worth it to defeat Maobama and won’t do everything they can to stop him.

And yes I do care that Romney’s a RINO. Wish he wasn’t the nominee but he is. It’s pointless though to keep bashing him on things we all know about such as him saying he’s a progressive or romneycare. That kind of stuff could cost us the election.

It’s more than fair to hold his feet to the fire during the campaign for stuff he does wrong such as:

1. saying that he’ll seek health care that covers those with preconditions

2. not fighting back hard enough after being called a felon.

3. if he picks a RINO as VP.

That’s holding his feet to the fire now and trying to move him to the right. Continuing to point out all the old stuff from his days as MA governor is pointless now.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 12:58 AM

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Every single thing you’ve said above could be regarding Obama and he’s been running the country and has a darn good chance of another four years to finish his “job”.

What is it with people like you and yours? It’s not like you can say you disagree with her politics, etc. It always has to be personal. You say her selection wasn’t handled well. Whose fault is that and why take it out on her? She did remarkably well considering who and what she had to work with.

It’s women like you who keep the rest of us banging away at the glass ceiling because you can’t appreciate the effort that some make, that you have to be petty and jealous about it and I honestly wonder what it is.

But you keep talking. It only hurts Romney and does you no favors with credibility.

kim roy on July 30, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Dire Straits on July 30, 2012 at 12:58 AM

oh I have learned in life those that settle get what others want them to get. You seem to be thrilled with the choices before you. I guess you like the fac tthat two progressvies are running.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 1:03 AM

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Unseen,

Back when I didn’t have a hotair account you were one of my favorite posters on here. By the time I signed up, Palin had already said she wasn’t running.

I agree that the GOPe didn’t want Palin to run and made that very clear to her. However, why did she back down? Why not fight for herself and for America?

I wish Romney hadn’t won, but you’re kidding yourself if you think he’s anywhere near as bad as Maobama.

To have a shot at preserving our Republic then Romney needs to win.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:03 AM

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I can’t argue with anything you’ve said except to say that it takes time to get out of the mess we’ve allowed ourselves to get into. I’m personally hoping that the blinders are off and people realize they cannot be apathetic. Maybe we needed an Obama to show us the fruits of our apathy and maybe a Palin to show us that they aren’t all corrupt stooges.

I’d ask you to give it this election, the next two congressional ones and the next senate vote and then reassess. If you think no serious and positive progress has been made, then it will be time to pack it in.

People aren’t being sheltered by the media’s control anymore and can communicate ideas so much quicker than previously. Have hope and give it a bit of time. Just look at what the TEA party did in a short period of time.

Let’s have this conversation again. in 2014 if Romney wins. We’ll re-evaluate. :)

kim roy on July 30, 2012 at 1:05 AM

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 12:58 AM

It’s not pointless if he still considers himself progressive! That’s the whole goddam point I’m trying to make! He IS NOT conservative. Not that he WASN’T and somehow saw the light, but he IS NOT. And I’m not going to pretend that he is. Period. I apologize for your butthurt, but I’m not going to apologize for being more honest about Romney than he is about himself.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:05 AM

To have a shot at preserving our Republic then Romney needs to win.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:03 AM

And to have a shot at winning, Romney has my vote. Nothing more.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:07 AM

kim roy on July 30, 2012 at 1:05 AM

With folks like Bluegill and LevinFan, I don’t think much optimism is warranted.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:08 AM

As most of you know, Palin and DeMint were in Texas this weekend campaigning for Ted Cruz. His opponent, Dewhurst, has gone berserk over “outsiders” coming in to Texas to voice their support for Cruz. I think the establishment , including Cheney, felt that his diss of Palin would provide one more jab at the conservative candidate, Mr. Cruz. Incidentally, Cheney also endorsed the very RINO, Kay Bailey Hutchison, when she decided to run for governor of Texas. She lost!!! Thanks for nothing, Cheney.

mobydutch on July 30, 2012 at 1:11 AM

To have a shot at preserving our Republic then Romney needs to win.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:03 AM

To answer your “why didn’t she run” query just read through this and any other thread that has Palin in it and you’ll see why.

And this is OUR side – people with their own agendas, own biases and who did buy into the media swarming on her.

I wouldn’t run either.

kim roy on July 30, 2012 at 1:12 AM

The Great One explains why we must support Romney to defeat Maobama.

Please give this a listen, it’s well worth your time.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:11 AM

What part of “I’m voting for Romney” don’t you understand? Levin has been every bit as vocal in his criticisms of Romney as I have been, and for many of the same reasons. Is he a two-bit cowardly loser too?

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:13 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:08 AM

So you want Romney to win but talking about him being a progressive, now that’s some way to win votes!!!

Aren’t you a real wizard of smart??!!

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:13 AM

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Who is settling??..Surely not me!..I’m voting for the person who won the GOP primary!..:)

Dire Straits on July 30, 2012 at 1:15 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Hey egomaniac:

That post was intended for those like unseen, steveangell, ebrown, etc.

YOu do not it’s not all about you right?

Do you hear Levin ranting about Romney the Progressive and Romneycare every night?

No, you heard The Great One do that alot during the primary but not so much now. Why do you think that is genius?

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Aren’t you a real wizard of smart??!!

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:13 AM

If Romney is really better than Obama, it shouldn’t matter. It sounds like you have your doubts, if candy-coating the man’s record is really a prerequisite to his victory.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:16 AM

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Did you hear Levin’s 20-minute monologue on Mike Leavitt, dipstick? It wasn’t pretty. And maybe if I keep saying the same stuff about Romney, it’s because I actually stand by my principles — unlike some around here who fold like cheap towels at the horrifying thought of another four years of what we’re already going through.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I wouldn’t run either.

kim roy on July 30, 2012 at 1:12 AM

I don’t buy that as a legitimate reason now to run. I mean the answer is to give in and show them it worked?

Santorum almost beat ROmney! Santorum who had no name recognition at first and hardly any cash.

Palin wouldn’t been huge and had major grassroots support. She could’ve won and been the next President. She dropped the ball by not running.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I’m voting for the person who won the GOP primary!..:)

Dire Straits on July 30, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Well, that leaves Bachmann and Newt out…

Gohawgs on July 30, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Dire Straits on July 30, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I always vote for myself. *shrug* It’s the pirate way.

Axe on July 30, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Aren’t you a real wizard of smart??!!

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:13 AM

And by the by, I want Obama to lose. I couldn’t give two shits about Romney’s political career. Romney’s victory will be a happy by-product of Obama’s loss, as far as I’m concerned.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Hopefully Romney, Bush, Demint , Palin and the rest of the gang make a deal before the primary that benefits everyone.

BoxHead1 on July 30, 2012 at 1:22 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Yeah and when Romney does that you hammer him for it.

What you don’t do is continually whine about him being a progressive and “romneycare”… over and over again and expect to win.

It’s like standing outside the voting booth with a sign that says “Romney sucks, but not has much as the other guy… vote for him”.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:23 AM

convention

BoxHead1 on July 30, 2012 at 1:23 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Smartest thing you said all night. I have no attachment to Romney.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:24 AM

The attacks are getting stupid on Gov. Palin. I see no point in Cheney saying this bull 3 months from an election.

Cheney is a smart man and I am sure he knows words have meaning even if he has a bew liberal heart.

McCain says he picked Palin because she was the better than Romney.

It was all over the news. It had to have damaged Romney.

Cheney does a fundraiser with Romney and now out of the blue he does an interview.

Cheney thinks it is importan to tell us that Palin was not ready 3 1/2 years ago and thinks Romney is sweeter than Apple pie now.

Damage control for the Flip-Flopper.

Ps – Liz Cheney thinks her father is full of shit.

oldyeller on July 30, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Yeah and when Romney does that you hammer him for it.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Except that I am in no way attempting to encourage people to vote for Obama. Or Gary Johnson. Or Sarah Palin as a write-in. You are making a classical straw man.

Mitt Romney’s record speaks for itself. And maybe the difficulty Mitt Romney is having attracting conservative voters is no one’s problem but Mitt Romney. It is my honest hope that by focusing on Mitt’s problematic nature as a presidential candidate, maybe, just maybe we can avoid this kind of sad fustercluck in 2016 or 2020, whenever the next Republican primary comes due.

On the one hand, America deserves better than Mitt Romney. On the other, the only viable alternative to Mitt is a guy who is even worse. I state that as a simple matter of fact. Anyone who accuses me of being an Obama supporter because of this is simply engaging in an argument I’m not making, nor have I ever made.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:30 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Smartest thing you said all night. I have no attachment to Romney.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:24 AM

By way of clarification, I meant mitt’s FUTURE political career.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:31 AM

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Just sell your soul. Then you can support any GOP candidate enthusiastically, with lots of exclamation marks.

Dongemaharu on July 30, 2012 at 1:31 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:30 AM

You’re doing alittle bit, but you’re not doing enough.

If you can spend all this time on hotair arguing with me, you can at least write a letter to the editor saying why Maobama must be defeated, you can make some phone calls, do a lit drop, or donate.

Not saying do all of them, but surely you could do some of them.

It just comes down to how important it is to you to see Maobama defeated.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Come on folks, don’t you think these attacks on Palin are out of control. She is not even running for anything.

How can Cheney say Palin was a Mistake when Bush/Cheney was one big mistake?

After 8 years of Bush/Cheney the country was left in worst shape than when they took office.

That is what you call a failure and a big mistake.

oldyeller on July 30, 2012 at 1:39 AM

You’re doing alittle bit, but you’re not doing enough.

And how do you know what else I’m doing, Butch? You don’t know my real name, and I don’t believe you even know my state of residence. And yet you presume to tell me that I’m not doing enough because I’m refusing to do more for Romney than vote for him? That kind of presumptuous douchebaggery is exactly why the Republican party is in hot water.

Not saying do all of them, but surely you could do some of them.

It just comes down to how important it is to you to see Maobama defeated.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Who’s to say? I may have a change of heart post-convention. Or I may not. Honestly, I doubt it. But I will say, if you think all I am doing is hanging around here carping about Romney in the comments section of a blog, you are sadly mistaken. I am far more active than that — just not necessarily in Republican party politics.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Dongemaharu on July 30, 2012 at 1:31 AM

lol. I don’t think its that bad but I think people should understand what they are supporting at the end of the day. Anyone that think mitt is going to change anything is dreaming. He might not be as bad as Obama but I doubt he will repeal any of Obama’s policies just like Obama hasn’t repealed any of bush’s major polcies. mitt might spend less of the make believe money the fed prints but at this stage it will not return the $ to its vaule. the only way to pay off $17 trillion is to inflate the currency so that $17 trillion becomes worthless which means yes those that save are screwed. Mitt doesn’t believe in a strong dollar, he believe sin free trade, out sourcing, global warming, romneycare, etc etc…. If the gop eastablishment really thought Obama was a danger to the country like they want us to believe they have the power to stop him today. they control the house. Nothing gets passed if the gop doesn’t want it passed. Obama gets no momeny if the gop deosn’t want him to get any money. they can impeach him today if he wa sa danger to the country. they don’t think he is thus they don’t do any of the above but they want the people to think Obama is.

No Mitt isn’t the answer.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 1:42 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:40 AM

You’ve said repeatedly that all Romney will get from you is your vote. So what else do I have to go on, other than you’re simply going to pull the lever for him?

You’re far more active you say? How so? Back it up and give a few examples.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:44 AM

No Mitt isn’t the answer.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 1:42 AM

We don’t get a “President Neither.” I’m really wishing we did right about now, but we don’t.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:44 AM

No Mitt isn’t the answer.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Here’s one:

Romney has campaigned on repealing Obamacare. He said on his first day he’ll issue an executive order to all 50 states for obamacare waivers. THen he’ll work with Congress for a repeal bill.

Do you honestly thin Romney will veto a repeal bill? It’d be political suicide!!

If Maobama win’s we’ll be stuck with obamacare for life. Electing Romney is the only realistic shot we have at repeal.

That alone is worth your time and effort to support Romney.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Dire Straits on July 30, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Why? what makes the person that won the GOp primary worth your vote? If a socialist won the GOP primary would you then vote for him or her? If Stalin won the GOp primary would he then automatically get your vote? if Mitt gives me a reason to vote for him maybe I will. right now the only reason I’m hearing is he isn’t Obama. that’s really not good enough to earn my vote. Sadly it seems to be good enough for a lot of people and then people wonder why we have the lesser of two evils in politics.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 1:48 AM

That alone is worth your time and effort to support Romney.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:47 AM

yeah his promise to repeal Obamacare got me interesed in him for the first time since the primary started then the next day after the SCOTUS ruling his team came out and said they won’t repeal all of it just the icky parts.

So back to the sidelines I went.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I brought Breadballs to the dance, am I too late?

Bmore on July 30, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I peeked in on this thread this afternoon and the usual suspects were relishing the attack on Sarah Palin. I am a Darth Cheney fan, but I think he allowed the media to pull down his shorts on this one.
There is no reason to attack Sarah Palin. McCain was a loser from day one and everyone knew it.
Way to allow the media to force your head in their lap, Darth. Not cool.

AllahsNippleHair on July 30, 2012 at 1:53 AM

You’re far more active you say? How so? Back it up and give a few examples.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I gave up on precinct-level party politics in 2010 after failing to help a like-minded friend of mine oust the entrenched captain in my home precinct.

I am working with the local newspaper to augment my podcasting hobby in ways that will give my news-and-views podcast more exposure than it enjoys now on both a local and national level.

I volunteered for the local precinct’s canvassing committee in 2010, and did so again this year.

In 2010, I helped man a Republican phone bank for a city-level GOTV effort. I have been solicited to do so again this year, though I’m not sure at this point I will. Depends on my level of apathy towards big-R Republicanism and what my work schedule looks like.

And perhaps most importantly to the rombots and contrary to popular belief around here, I have actually privately encouraged several of my close conservative friends to reconsider their erstwhile refusal to vote for Willard Milton Romney. Two of them even thanked me and credited me in-part with their willingness to to take one for the team.

Is that good enough for you, Judge LevinFan?

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:53 AM

1300 is coming up soon.

12 more to go

SparkPlug on July 30, 2012 at 1:54 AM

I always vote for myself. *shrug* It’s the pirate way.

Axe on July 30, 2012 at 1:21 AM

And a bit maniacal, I like that. ; )

Bmore on July 30, 2012 at 1:55 AM

So back to the sidelines I went.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 1:51 AM

We all want the whole thing repealed, but if they left some pieces in place isn’t that better than having the whole @$@# left in place?

Look at how hard it is to get rid of these entitlements. We never got rid of social security, medicare, medicaid.

Getting rid of obamacare would be huge.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:55 AM

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 1:48 AM

No problem..I’m voting for Romney..You are free to vote as you may!..:)

Dire Straits on July 30, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Sarah Palin is a divisive and polarizing figure. She seems to feed off it.

Now is a time for uniting to defeat Obama.

bluegill on July 29, 2012 at 7:54 PM

If you really meant that, you would shut up until November 7, 2012.

Night Owl on July 30, 2012 at 1:55 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:30 AM

It really does suck, doesn’t it? Didn’t get in this mess overnight and won’t resolve itself overnight. Gotta start somewhere.

kim roy on July 30, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Way to allow the media to force your head in their lap, Darth. Not cool.

AllahsNippleHair on July 30, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Hear Hear!!!

Bmore on July 30, 2012 at 1:56 AM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:44 AM

here is my thinking at the mmoment it might change. I have a couple options. all of them bad. I can stay home. Not good for the down ticket races. I can go vote and leave the top spot blank which is where Im leaning as of now. I can vote for Obama. ROFLMAO on that one or I can vote for mitt and hope for change. I don’t do hope and change and I worry more about the conservative eastbalishment buckleing under and passing prgressive crap because its Mitt’s agenda more then a gop house working with a re-elected Obama. I firmly believe gridlock is the best answer when all your choices suck. Sometimes making sure nothing can get done is the best choice. So voting for a strong conservative Congress and praying they stop Obama and or Mitt..

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 1:56 AM

That alone is worth your time and effort to support Romney.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:47 AM

F***ing brilliant. Our only chance at repealing Obamacare is to elect the guy who made it possible by proving it could pass on a state level. And I’m supposed to put my faith in campaign promises? Really? Oh, that’s right. Romney’s past doesn’t matter anymore…

/facepalm

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Is that good enough for you, Judge LevinFan?

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 1:53 AM

It’s ok, you could do more as could we all.

You’re the one who told earlier that all you would do for Romney was vote for him so don’t try to throw it back in my face when I call you out on it — I was only going on what you told me.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:58 AM