Cheney: Palin pick in ’08 “a mistake”

posted at 12:31 pm on July 29, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

As we wait for Mitt Romney to pick his running mate in the next few weeks, the last successful GOP running mate has been privately advising the current GOP nominee and the head of his VP search committee, Beth Myers.  Cheney believes that the #2 slot has to be filled with someone ready to take over the top job on Day 1 — and that John McCain flunked that test in 2008.  In an interview with ABC News’ Jonathan Karl, Cheney called the selection of Sarah Palin “a mistake”:

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Cheney would not comment on what he told Romney and Myers, but he was harsh in his assessment of McCain’s decision to pick Palin.

“That one,” Cheney said, “I don’t think was well handled.”

“The test to get on that small list has to be, ‘Is this person capable of being president of the United States?’”

Cheney believes Sarah Palin failed that test.

“I like Governor Palin. I’ve met her. I know her. She – attractive candidate. But based on her background, she’d only been governor for, what, two years. I don’t think she passed that test…of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake.”

Whoo-ee!  Both Palin and Cheney are beloved by the conservative base, so I’m not sure which will get beat up more over this commentary. I’d guess that the Left is passing the popcorn this morning.

Rather than focus on that, what does this say about Cheney’s advice to Romney and Myers?  Using this framework, names like Marco Rubio, Kelly Ayotte, Susana Marinez, Nikki Haley, and perhaps even Bob McDonnell (governor for two and a half years) have to come off of Cheney’s short list.  Names like Rob Portman, Bobby Jindal, Tim Pawlenty, and Rick Perry would remain on the list.  With Romney’s deep background as an executive, that quality was almost certainly his foremost consideration, too, so Cheney’s advice would only reinforce Romney’s instincts here.  Plus, it doesn’t look like Romney will need a game-changing VP pick to make up ground against a popular incumbent, so the need to roll the dice will be low.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 9 10 11 12 13 15

Sarah Palin is a divisive and polarizing figure. She seems to feed off it.

Now is a time for uniting to defeat Obama.

bluegill on July 29, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Bite me.

But really, what a perfect distillation of the stupid and bitter cognitive dissonance we’ve seen for months from Romney supporters.

Will you ever find grace, or at least basic political tact?

rrpjr on July 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

And the Republic will be lost for good if Maobama wins in November!

Palinistas like yourself are a disgrace to Sarah who would never support bots like yourself refusing to stop Maobama.

You’re no different than Sinking Stone or any of the other paulbots who refuse to support Romney.

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 8:42 PM

If Willard Mitt Romney is America’s only hope, the ship of state is doomed.
The man is an utterly gutless moral coward who was shilling for a federal health mandate in 2009 and AWOL during the Tea Party election of 2010. As much as I detest Ron “Don Black’s 500-dollar dinner date” Paul, even HE did more to sound the tocsin about Obama than Mittens did.

ebrown2 on July 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM

We did it!

VegasRick on July 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM

1000+

We are breaking bad now.

faraway on July 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Thanks for the laugh you mindless zeaot!

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

LevinFan is tonight thread 1000 winner. Well LevinFan, Palin or Cheney for your prize?

Bmore on July 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Who gets the honor to push this over 1000?

dec5 on July 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM

You are aware that if he’s removed from office that his VP takes over, which unless things change is Uncle Joe. Isn’t it easier to just NOT re-elect him and hound him to the four corners of the earth?

SIGH

And there you go again misrepresenting us all.

kim roy on July 29, 2012 at 8:43 PM

So what?

He would then know that if he tried anything he would be impeached as well.

We should not stop there anyway. There are a lot of Judges who should also be impeached.

Remember impeachment was common for many years after our country was founded. Supreme Court Judges were impeached if they ruled against the Constitution.

But no. Now King Obama can do anything.

I am the one criticized for daring to say he should be impeached.

What is wrong with Mitt Supporters?

Steveangell on July 29, 2012 at 8:50 PM

*group hug*

Axe on July 29, 2012 at 8:50 PM

And the Republic will be lost for good if Maobama wins in November!

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 8:42 PM

you don’t have a clue, do you?

During this election, there is another war going on…

Dear Republican Party,

Shit just got real.

Sincerely,

The Bitter Clingers

Mr. Wednesday Night on July 29, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Pick a side….

idesign on July 29, 2012 at 8:50 PM

On to 1200 and beyond.

SparkPlug on July 29, 2012 at 8:50 PM

We did it!

VegasRick on July 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Yippie!!!! Congrats to all!!!

dec5 on July 29, 2012 at 8:50 PM

*group hug*

Axe on July 29, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I love you man! Whoops wrong thread. What, wait………..

Bmore on July 29, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Steveangell on July 29, 2012 at 8:50 PM

We have to reelect him to impeach him.

Is that you Nancy Pelosi?

tom daschle concerned on July 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I want to thank my agent, my producer, my band members… my mom…

faraway on July 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Thanks BMore and OC for The motivation.

Btw, isn’t still hot?

SparkPlug on July 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Let’s impeach Obama! Then let’s impeach Bumbles O’Biden! Let’s impeach everyone!

And then when we’re done with that, let’s impeach ourselves, too!

This is how we must save the Republic!

Taking back America 2012!!!!1!!1!

steebo77 on July 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Thanks for the laugh you mindless zeaot!

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Bmore on July 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Well, LevinFan? Who will you go with? Palin or Cheney?

Bmore on July 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM

This thread would have never made it to 1000 comments without government investment in the power grid, the internet, bridges, roads, and first responders. And teachers.

tom daschle concerned on July 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM

SIGH

And there you go again misrepresenting us all.

kim roy on July 29, 2012 at 8:43 PM

So what?

He would then know that if he tried anything he would be impeached as well.

But no. Now King Obama can do anything.

I am the one criticized for daring to say he should be impeached.

What is wrong with Mitt Supporters?

Steveangell on July 29, 2012 at 8:50 PM

You’re being criticized for your idiotic comments. I can safely say that ALL OF US would love to see him impeached, but we aren’t going to vote him in again to take a crack at it.

That’s stupid.

And you’re still misrepresenting us and our words. Be nice if you’d stop that.

kim roy on July 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Only 83 more until 1,100…

steebo77 on July 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I’m a 1 trick pony but here->

Cheney on Hillary
“I have a sense that she is one of the more competent members of the current administration and it would be interesting to speculate about how she might perform were she to be president,” he said.

Are you raising your tusk in support of this sentiment? Is Hillary a successful politician in your eyes?

BoxHead1 on July 29, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Hey BoxHead. Still no takers on this I see. I guess Cheney is privy to some info we non-vice president peasants aren’t.

Dongemaharu on July 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Levin, I think you misunderstand believers. They don’t believe it is up to them to say what is moral and what isn’t.

Believers think the rules were made by a Creator and they try to follow them.

Who do you think should determine morality? A majority? The elites?

TitularHead on July 29, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I have no problem with most believers. It’s the true zealots like steveanal that I can’t stand.

I think overall that Christianity is unfairly maligned, especially at the expense of Islam.

In terms of morality most sane people know the difference between right and wrong. It’s up to them to follow it. Some need religion to stay straight, others don’t. To each their own.

As for the elites in DC the answer is to stop giving them so much power and control over our lives. We need more individual liberty to allow people to live their own lives.

As for two gay people living together, that’s their choice. It doesn’t affect your life in anyway whatsover. And who are we to say it’s immoral? They’re married faithful to each other, work hard, and don’t break the law… that makes them good people to me.

And here’s another thing to drive the religious crowd nuts:

Would you rather have a kid stay in an abusive household under an abusive father and mother, have them stay in a foster home, have them live in a single parent household

OR

be adopted by a gay couple who give the kid all kinds of love and support?

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM

One of the reason why I like Catholicism is that it doesn’t necessarily condemn Jews who stay Jews and then die to a burning after life. I pray looking UP when I ‘chat’ w/ my late Jewish dad. *smiles happily*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2012 at 7:49 PM

That’s not official Catholic doctrine. Official Roman Catholic doctrine is that if you are not in the Roman Catholic church, you are anathema (damned to hell). Official RC doctrine does not even recognize salvation in other Christian churches, let alone outside of Christianity.

I’m Lutheran myself and thus one of those that the Councils have deemed anathema because I believe that salvation comes by grace through faith alone, not by any works and that even that faith is a gift of God.

As for Jews who have rejected the coming of the Messiah, I would recommend a thorough, hermeneutic reading of the New Testament regarding those who rejected the coming of the Messiah.

AZfederalist on July 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM

tom daschle concerned on July 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM

How dare you people try to take credit for the collective success of the village.

faraway on July 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM

tom daschle concerned on July 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM

ROTF. Lolz.

SparkPlug on July 29, 2012 at 8:56 PM

tom daschle concerned on July 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM

LOL! So true! ; )

Bmore on July 29, 2012 at 8:56 PM

If Willard Mitt Romney is America’s only hope, the ship of state is doomed.

ebrown2 on July 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Well emmitt, this time around that is just how it is. He happens to be the only one with a chanc to mount a realistic challenge to Ogabe.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 29, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Liz Warren suggested that we all do an Indian dance that was handed down in her family lore

faraway on July 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on July 29, 2012 at 8:56 PM

…because he secured the nomination. Now would be a really good time for the Republican Party faithful to take a good long moment of zen/introspection to ask themselves how we arrived at nominating someone who, a mere 10 years ago, proudly called himself “progressive” and just last year called himself “severely conservative.”

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM

There are some really funny people on HotAir.

BMore is quite a character and ALTy too. Faraway is always funny.

SparkPlug on July 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Governor Palin..
Take a bow..

You sure do inspire people…

Electrongod on July 29, 2012 at 9:00 PM

It’s a sin of omission that keeps you separated from God.

But if you don’t believe in him (that He exists), how can you accept Him?
Yep, you’re really “up a creek” . . . . . .

listens2glenn on July 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I was lurking last night and saw you make a similar outlandish comment. I was tempted to set you straight but realized it wasn’t worth it at the time.

Thanks for your concern though. I’ve worked hard for everything I have in my life, I’m a loving husband, I think a very good father, and a hard working conservative member of society….

guess that’s not good enough though since I don’t accept Jesus as my savior….

It boggles my mind that you and those like you can’t see this misguided logic.

I’m walking the walk but just b/c I don’t buy into your religion that means I’m a sinner?

Unbelievable!

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I had read in the WSJ some months ago that the folks who vet/vetted the VP candidates (not exactly household names familiar to most of us political junkies) agreed that Palin was quite qualified to run. Even in her short time as governor of Alaska, she had already demonstrably accumulated more executive experience and political finesse than Biden, Obama, or McCain.

onlineanalyst on July 29, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Hi Scrumpy.

SparkPlug on July 29, 2012 at 9:01 PM

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM

No, if and when he is elected will be the time to stay up their arses and hold all representatives and Senators feet to the fire to do our work and not their personal agendas.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 29, 2012 at 9:02 PM

“Everyone in hell got there by FAILING to accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.”

So hell didn’t exist until 2000 years ago?

crosspatch on July 29, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Wish I was born before Christ then.

Guess all the evil people before him got a free pass to Heaven.

By the way having to accept Jehovah has always been a requirement. His life on Earth provided us with a path to repentance. But we always had to accept the one true GOD. He did tell us his name Jesus Christ.

So far as Hell. Think you are right. Hell will exist after Christ judges us. Do not believe it exist now either though Spirit Prison does and has since Cain.

Remember also faith without works is dead. If we actually believe Christ is our personal savior we will act upon that belief. If we do not act on it he will not know us and Hell will await us.

Steveangell on July 29, 2012 at 9:02 PM

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on July 29, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Cause that’s worked so well in the past, hasn’t it?

/facepalm

I fully reserve the right to criticize Mitt Romney where, when, and however I see fit.

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 9:03 PM

AZfederalist on July 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Wrong. Maybe you should stick to discussing what Lutherans believe, not that you’ll get that right, either.

steebo77 on July 29, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Whoo-ee! Both Palin and Cheney are beloved by the conservative base, so I’m not sure which will get beat up more over this commentary.

Easy…Dick Cheney.

I am not a Palin groupie, but she was about the only thing McCain did right during his campaign. Dick Cheney and his merry band of neoconservative idiots are the chief number one reason we have a man named Obama as President of the United States. It is really hard to beat that in my book.

The simple fact that Dick Cheney is even advising anyone in the Romney campaign about anything is disturbing enough news to make me worried. Maybe this explains Romney’s bizarre “foreign policy” trip, which included such gems as pissing off one of our biggest allies and telling all Americans we need to get involved in Syria.

Romney, Please for the love god….stay away from these retreads…I am begging you!

William Eaton on July 29, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Just how long did Cheney stop breathing when he had his last heart attack?

bgibbs1000 on July 29, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Earlier in the thread there was a Palinista wishing harm on the families of critics. Now, what…hoping for Cheney’s death?

AngusMc on July 29, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Either you completely missed the point, or are intentionally lying about this poster wishing Cheney dead. Bill Maher salutes you.

Dongemaharu on July 29, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Hubby just saw this on Drudge. He yelled, will someone tell Cheney to shut up!?! Doesn’t he realize that Palin saved McCain’s but from total disgrace?

That’s why I still love hubby.

Fallon on July 29, 2012 at 9:04 PM

AZfederalist on July 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Most Catholics consider other Christians to be fellow Christians. My husband would be warmly welcomed 2 Mass-he just wouldn’t be able to take Communion. You must be thinking of the Vatican I Church.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2012 at 9:05 PM

That’s why I still love hubby.

Fallon on July 29, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Good Post. You got a good hubby.

SparkPlug on July 29, 2012 at 9:06 PM

William Eaton on July 29, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Romney hired his longtime crony Mike Leavitt for his transition team head. He also had to walk back a statement from his chief campaign spokesperson. Going on Mitt’s past history of campaign decisions, I don’t see future possibilities that bode very well for him.

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Unbelievable!

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:00 PM

If you do everything that a member of some club would but never apply you are not a member.

All you need do is apply.

But failing to is your free agency. Do not blame the messenger just get off your butt and apply (pray).

Steveangell on July 29, 2012 at 9:07 PM

AZfederalist on July 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Yesterday, the Vatican released a document, written by the Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, and approved by Pope Benedict XVI, about Catholic “ecclesiology”— the study of the way, according to Catholic theology, God works through the Church to bring about the eternal salvation and happiness he desires for all people of all faiths.

Pope Benedict does not believe, and has never suggested, non-Catholics are all going to hell because they are not members of the Catholic Church.

Dr Evil on July 29, 2012 at 9:07 PM

AZfederalist on July 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM

A digression, what you wrote is not accurate. The RC Church teaches that all salvation is through Jesus, and by extension through the Church, but admits that those who have not accepted Christ or the authority of the Catholic Church may in a way known to God achieve salvation (go to heaven). It’s vague and mysterious but it is definitely in the Catechism. This teaching is based on the infinite mercy of God.

Anathemas against Protestant/Orthodox churches have been revoked. Salvation is acknowledged by grace through faith, with the Biblical proviso that “faith without works is dead.”

spiritof61 on July 29, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Dongemaharu on July 29, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I called him on it earlier, and he never responded..:)

idesign on July 29, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Dunno if anyone caught this but:

Liz Cheney ‏@Liz_Cheney

“Rarely do I disagree with best VP ever but @SarahPalinUSA more qualified than Obama and Biden combined. Huge respect 4 all she’s done 4 GOP.

from twitter about half an hour ago.”

kim roy on July 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM

There’ll be a “correction/clarification” from Dick, tomorrow.

Thanks kim’ for posting that.

listens2glenn on July 29, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Dr Evil on July 29, 2012 at 9:07 PM

AZfederalist really needs to google “extra Ecclesiam nulla salus.”

steebo77 on July 29, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Dongemaharu on July 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM

D Cheney is a big fan of Hillary Clintoln and he thinks Palin is a dumb cracker. He has inside information and he’s brilliant so who am I to argue.

Besides this thread is more QOTD now. My links time has past…

Someone should throw out a song.

BoxHead1 on July 29, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Are you sure God wants you telling others that they will go to h@ll?? Shouldn’t that be up to him and not YOU?

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

God sent Jonah to the city of Nineveh to tell them that the city would be destroyed if they did not repent. Christ sent the disciples to preach repentance and in the New Testament era, has sent his believers to proclaim the Gospel. Christians don’t tell unbelievers that they are going to Hell out of a sense of superiority or glee, but preach the law that some might believe the Gospel. Why should someone believe if they don’t think they are a sinner? Why would anyone desire a savior if they didn’t know that there was condemnation without one? Our job is simply to proclaim the message, we just plant the seed, the Spirit causes it to grow. I can’t make someone believe, I can only state what is spoken by the scriptures.

/that’s all I’m going to say on this thread regarding this.

AZfederalist on July 29, 2012 at 9:10 PM

How do we know the republic isn’t already lost? Is there anything worth saving of “America?”

I’m glad you have an inside line to just what Sarah Palin thinks of her supporters. Can you hook me up with her inner circle?

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Well you lost me there. I’m voting for Romney. That’s all the support he’s getting from me, and he (and you) had better be thankful for it if defeating Obama is really your first, last, and only priority.

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 8:46 PM

1. If the Republic isn’t worth saving then go bury your head in the sand. There are plenty of patriots willing to fight for it to the very end.

2. The bottom line is that Palin has said from day one it’s Anyone But Obama! That means she thinks it’s worth election Romney (anyone) over Obama. Get it? I’m basing this on facts, of what she’s said throughout the year. It’s a shame so many Palin supporters have become utterly clueless and will refuse to vote for Romney against Maobama.

3. Don’t pat yourself on the back. It should be the duty of anyone who thinks this Republic is worth saving to do everything they can to defeat Maobama – making phone calls, writing letters, donating, lit drops.. etc. Yet you can’t even decide if the Republic is worth saving.

What a patriot you are.

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Good Post. You got a good hubby.

SparkPlug on July 29, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Yeah, but I can’t spell “butt” worth a darn. LOL

Fallon on July 29, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Ahead of Tuesday’s run-off…

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Just saw this, too.

Liz Cheney ‏@Liz_Cheney

from twitter about half an hour ago.”

kim roy on July 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Liz gets it even if Pops does not.

Fallon on July 29, 2012 at 9:13 PM

listens2glenn on July 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM

guess that’s not good enough though since I don’t accept Jesus as my savior….

It boggles my mind that you and those like you can’t see this misguided logic.

Unbelievable!

LevinFan
on July 29, 2012 at 9:00 PM

All I can do is thank you for your honesty, and go on.
But as long as my privileges to post comments here are “intact”, I will be posting more such “outlandish comments” on down the timeline as the subject matter is presented for debate.

listens2glenn on July 29, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Yeah, but I can’t spell “butt” worth a darn. LOL

Fallon on July 29, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I’ve started using arse in place of azz and butt. LOL! ; )

Bmore on July 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM

2,000!

(Tosses Sardine on fire)

Del Dolemonte on July 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I fought for the republic strongly enough to risk the wrath of Romney worshippers. What does that tell you?

Right. That’s why so many rombots pitched a blue fit when Sarah also said she was voting for Gingrich in the in the primary and (not BECAUSE, but AND) a long robust primary season would benefit the party and the republic at-large. I didn’t want it over AQAP. Rombots did.

What a patriot you are.

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:11 PM

The republic is worth saving if what our forefathers fought and died for still exists. If it no longer even exists, the point is moot. After all, I didn’t call Mitt Romney progressive. He proudly called himself that back in 2002.

I don’t expect kudos for doing what I believe is right. Civility would be nice, but that’s apparently a bit much to ask for from rombots.

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 9:17 PM

If Willard Mitt Romney is America’s only hope, the ship of state is doomed.

ebrown2 on July 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM

So Romney is defending capitalism, attacking Maobama for saying individuals didn’t build their own businesses yet you amazingly see no difference.

Romney is in Israel where Maobama hasn’t been since his regime took over and Romney is saying that we stand with Israel while Maobama can’t even utter the capital of Israel.

Romney is saying we must have all options on the table to stop Iran now while Maobama has done nothing but hide under his desk.

Yet there’s no difference right genius??

And it’s one of the major pieces of ROmney’s campaign to repeal Obamacare. If you want any shot of removing this socialist nightmare then we need Romney as President to sign that repeal bill.

I’ll be around all night to rip your pathetic arguments to shreds.

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Liz Cheney ‏@Liz_Cheney

from twitter about half an hour ago.”

kim roy on July 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Heh. Ok, someone yell at Liz Cheney that her father has a right to express his opinion, or something.

Dongemaharu on July 29, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I believe Romney is a *lot* more conservative than a lot of people believe he is.

crosspatch on July 29, 2012 at 9:20 PM

What are you thinking. Even Obama is in favor of keeping Gitmo open.

Is he a neocon?

Steveangell on July 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM

From a foreign policy perspective, yes. He approved the surge for Afghanistan, and has started covert drone wars in multiple theaters, as well as keeping Gitmo open and killing American citizens abroad with drones. There’s a reason the Left has been whining about his war policies for his entire term.

MadisonConservative on July 29, 2012 at 9:20 PM

crosspatch on July 29, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Really? So was he lying in 2002 when he called himself “progressive?”

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Most drunken Micks are that way.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 29, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Well if the sorry Micks hadn’t served in the military since the beginning of this colony, you might still be a Refugee.

kenny on July 29, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Wow thanks so much Bmore for the kind words as the 1000 comment thread winner!

As for my prize:

I’m a Palin supporter all the way. My first comments in this very thread show that.

It’s a shame she didn’t run — she should’ve, but I still greatly admire her.

Cheney did us no favors in the battle to defeat Maobama.

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:21 PM

That’s stupid.

And you’re still misrepresenting us and our words. Be nice if you’d stop that.

kim roy on July 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Not passing the smell test.

People can go back and read what you said.

Show me where Mitt Romney said Obama should be Impeached. Or any other RINO.

John Bonehead almost did not allow Holder to be held in Contempt. Most of the fighting in this nation to clean it up is with supposed Republicans.

Like GW Bush. Comes in the Whitehouse which has been booby trapped all the “W” keys removed thousands of dollars worth of damage to the White House. He does nothing. He does nothing about any of the corruption Clinton did.

We elect Mitt Romney and Romney will protect Obama with all the vigor he can muster. Guarantee he will stop any investigations of Obama.

No Mitt and the rest of the RINOS are just as much an enemy to America as Obama.

We vote for Mitt and we do not care about the Tea Party. We are voting for an end to America with Mitt. We are voting our freedom away. We are voting for a man who believes Obama is doing a great job just in over his head. The Great Job man is still his spokesman who also said do not criticize Obama.

Steveangell on July 29, 2012 at 9:22 PM

spiritof61 on July 29, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Do you have a link to any of those revocations of the statements from the Councils of Trent, Vatican I, and other Councils? … and do those revocations carry the same weight as the pronouncements of those previous Councils?

Lutheran doctrine acknowledges, as clearly stated in scripture, that faith without works is dead, but recognizes that good works are a fruit of faith, i.e., evidence of the faith that God has planted in our hearts. However, those works do not contribute to salvation; they are expressions of gratitude for the free Grace God has given. Thus works of penance do not avail any favor or erase any sins; only the saving work of Christ can do that.

AZfederalist on July 29, 2012 at 9:23 PM

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 9:17 PM

You want civility? Who are your Maobama?

If you can’t stand the heat….

And I’m no rombot, get it straight. I’m a conservative who realizes that Maobama must go.

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:24 PM

The GOP, hard at work trying to alienate it’s base.

Viator on July 29, 2012 at 9:26 PM

2,000!

(Tosses Sardine on fire)

Del Dolemonte on July 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Yes…we’re all marathoners now! The pain will be short lived…but the pride will be forever.

lynncgb on July 29, 2012 at 9:27 PM

AZfederalist on July 29, 2012 at 9:23 PM

We get it that you don’t agree with the Church of Rome.
Fine.
No one’s forcing you to Join the Church. *The Inquisition is sooo 16th century.*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2012 at 9:27 PM

How exactly? 3 1/2 years of the current marxist and his regime in the White House and you have to ask how a Romney administration would be better than another 4 years of marxism and marxist policies?

Really?

AZfederalist on July 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Really. Elect conservatives to congress. If the usual status quo suish/prog alliance stays in place, it doesn’t matter who’s elected president in November. This personalizing the election as “We HAVE to defeat OBAMA or the universe will dissolve” is such crap. The problem isn’t one single measly politician. The problem is a political culture and mindset, and Romney’s as much a part of it as anyone.

ddrintn on July 29, 2012 at 9:28 PM

You Rinos are a bunch of idiots.Just how does taking swipes at conservatives get Mittens elected.We will only hold our noses for just so long on election day,and if we wind up having to take a breath before we vote-Down goes Mitt.Better start kissing some conservative butt,and real soon!

redware on July 29, 2012 at 9:28 PM

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 9:17 PM

You want civility? Who are your Maobama?

If you can’t stand the heat….

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Did I specifically call you a rombot? I might have…don’t recall though. If you realize that Barack Hussein Obama must go, then you and I have no argument. We agree on that. But since when in the bloody blue hell did “civility” mean I can’t criticize Willard Milton Romney, a self-professing “progressive” who did everything humanly possible to distance himself from movement conservatism in 2002 after moving back to Mass-uh-chew-sits to run for Teddy Kennedy’s senate seat? So far, the only evidence I have that Mitt Romney is any kind of conservative at all is his few supporters who have enough chutzpah to say, “Everything he’s done since then has looked conservative to me.”

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Yet there’s no difference right genius??

I’ll be around all night to rip your pathetic arguments to shreds.

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Firstly most of what Romney is promising is a big fat lie. He worked to get Obama Care he will not repeal it. No one actually believes he will.

So far as Israel Obama has repeatably said all options are on the table. He has said Israel has no better friend than himself.

Then he jumps on the Obama Gaff. So what. Even fellow Democrats jumped on that one. Meaningless.

There is no meaningful difference between Obama and Mitt. You just proved it by naming none.

Over 1000 comments no one has said why anyone should vote for Mitt.

Just over and over. Vote against Obama. Then the no vote is a vote for Obama lie.

Steveangell on July 29, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I like SP a lot. She is not on the ticket, Romney is. We need to get rid of O and his group this November. What else is there.

VegasRick on July 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Looks like another ‘blame Palin’ if we don’t win meme…

PDS.

ChuckTX on July 29, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Godlessness fails every single time.

Steveangell on July 29, 2012 at 7:36 PM

So much for separation of church and state based on you off the rocker comments. So if everyone doesn’t believe in Christianity then we should kick them all out??

Your way or the highway??

Yeah I’m sure that’s the way the Founding Fathers wanted it. So much for the melting pot, we need a bunch of zealots like steveanal!

And what about those other parts of Christianity that disagree with your sect? Will they all burn for not thining exactly the same way as you?

Thanks for the laugh you mindless zealot!

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I am convinced that THE #1 issue that Sarah Palin detractors have with her is her flagrant evangelical Christianity.
That seems to be the common argument that comes up on most every Palin thread.

listens2glenn on July 29, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Yet there’s no difference right genius??

I’ll be around all night to rip your pathetic arguments to shreds.

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:18 PM

That’s only because he -has- to actually do something now that he’s the nominee. Unlike McCain, he’ll make a few pathetic efforts to win.

You avoided my point.

Where was he in 2009?

Where was he in 2010?

AWOL, that’s where, when he wasn’t talking up the health mandate.

The only thing that’s “pathetic” is your willful blindness in scooping up
everything the Republicans dish out to you and asking for more.

I saw that show already in 2000-2006 and it resulted in Barack Hussein Obama being elected president. Thanks a lot for nothing.

ebrown2 on July 29, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Cheney did us no favors in the battle to defeat Maobama.

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Expect more from the establishment…

And wonder, why that is?

idesign on July 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM

And here’s another thing to drive the religious crowd nuts:

OR

be adopted by a gay couple who give the kid all kinds of love and support?

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Thanks for the response. I have no issue with agnostics or atheists either. I once was agnostic. That changed for me and I’ll be eternally thankful for that.

You posited that Christians are trying to, “(S)ay what is moral and what isn’t”. I simply pointed out that it’s just the opposite. Believers don’t think it’s up to them to decide what’s moral. They believe that the Creator set forth certain norms. Christians don’t believe they are competent to challenge what they believe are truths, established by the Creator.

I asked you how you think “morality” should be determined. Do you think a majority should decide? Leave it up to the elites? Or do you lean towards moral relativism? I’m not trying to trap you, or pick a fight. Just curious.

I’m sure we agree on many issues. I usually find myself on the conservative/libertarian side. I think less government is the answer in most cases. I do think government should prohibit killing unborn children. I don’t think government should regulate “morality”. I also don’t think government should redefine marriage.

With all due respect, I’ll decline to vote on the abused kid v. homo adoption stuff. I’m sure there are plenty of loving traditional couples that could provide a good home for the little fellow. If not, me and Mrs. TitHead will adopt him.

TitularHead on July 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I’m not happy Romney is the nominee but it is what it is.

I agree on his pretty terrible record, but it really does us no good to rehash it now. The bottom line is that Romney is still a million times better than Maobama.

It’s scary that this election is so close. We really need everyone to do everything they can. Again, donate, make phone calls, argue with people, lit drops, letters to the editor..etc.

Voting is simply not good enough.

The brave men and women who fought and died for us did not do it to have a tyrant in Maobama ruin our Republic.

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Steveangell on July 29, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Mitt’s Plan

On his first day in office, Mitt Romney will issue an executive order that paves the way for the federal government to issue Obamacare waivers to all fifty states. He will then work with Congress to repeal the full legislation as quickly as possible.

You are a liar. A filthy, pathetic liar.

tom daschle concerned on July 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM

You avoided my point.

Where was he in 2009?

Where was he in 2010?

AWOL, that’s where, when he wasn’t talking up the health mandate.

The only thing that’s “pathetic” is your willful blindness in scooping up
everything the Republicans dish out to you and asking for more.

ebrown2 on July 29, 2012 at 9:31 PM

It doesn’t matter. Where was he in 2009?? He was non existent! I didn’t want him as the nominee…but he is.. it’s reality!

ROmney is a million times better than Maobama.

Make a choice or stop criticizing Maobama if it isn’t worth it for you to stop him.

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:34 PM

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM

and with a little luck and hard work we can stop this thing from going over
the cliff … I don’t think we can turn it around in 4 years but we can START
Romney can Stop it … someone else may have to turn it around ….

conservative tarheel on July 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM

That seems to be the common argument that comes up on most every Palin thread.

listens2glenn on July 29, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Not to me it’s not.

I’m one of her biggest supporters, I was devastated when she said she wasn’t running.

I supported Bachmann then Santorum in the primary.

Aren’t I the anomoly??

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM

ddrintn on July 29, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Exactly, Mitt is a poster boy for the K-street approach to politics. Obama didn’t teleport down from Planet Zeist and hypnotize 52% of the electorate to vote for him. His path was gilded by the compromising jackasses of the Stupid Party as much as the LSM and Democratic/progressive alliance.

ebrown2 on July 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM

We get another four years to get rid of the GOP (at its current establishment crony-ist best) and start electing conservatives.

Yeah, elect Mitt Romney! That’ll show ‘em you mean bidness!

Sheer fantasy. If Romney’s elected, squishdom will be totally ascendant and “conservatives” will be dogshit on shoes.

We can live with the status quo.

kim roy on July 29, 2012 at 8:18 PM

No, we can’t.

ddrintn on July 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM

ddrintn on July 29, 2012 at 9:28 PM

ebrown2 on July 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Sad but true.

SparkPlug on July 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM

tom daschle concerned on July 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM

the truth hurt doesn’t it? no need for name calling. the dems will block anything that goes through congress. mitt won’t have obamas stones, he’ll cave in to the left.

its what mitt is. he’s no idealogue. expect him to make a deal that makes HIM look good.

renalin on July 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Voting is simply not good enough.

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM

its close because high 40% of ppl are on a Gov’t program …
and most don’t pay any taxes …

conservative tarheel on July 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM

The grassroots conservative movement will continue to grow. We will primary establishment types and hopefully elect conservatives to local, state, and federal offices. Voting for Romney is not support of the establishment. It is voting into office a man who does not hate America. A man we can hopefully get to play ball with the coming republican majorities in the house and senate. Not electing Mitt Romney means 4 more years of Obama violating the balance of powers.

The math looks really simple on this one.

tom daschle concerned on July 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I haven’t read through all the comments, only a few pages, however,
one thing I noticed -

It appears that we conservatives have seen the “light” when it
comes to liberals and rinos (and the media). They are not getting
away with this garbage said about Palin or any other conservative.

I just love the comment about Bush asking Cheney to head up the
VP search and Cheney picking himself. Priceless!

BTW, the only reason Cheney supports gay marriage is because one
of his daughters is gay, got married (?) I believe and may also
have children.

Third party next go around!!!!! Get rid of the rinos!

Amjean on July 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Voting is simply not good enough.

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Really? It’s not? So you’ll feel better if I crow about how Romney is our savior, and then don’t go out and vote for him? REALLY?! Not a rombot. Harumph. Methinks thou dost protesteth too much, Butch.

Romney gets my vote. He will get my praise, as he has on occasion, when I think he deserves it. But I refuse to acknowledge him as any kind of “conservative” against my better judgement. If that bothers any of my fellow commenters here, kindly feel free to GFY.

gryphon202 on July 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM

And good ole Barry BAMSTAHHH!!!!!! YOU DA MAIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN BAMMY OLE BUDDY OL PALLLL!!!! LOVE YA MA BRUDDA FROM ANUDDA MUDAAAAA!!!!! G’OLE BARRY !!!!YAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
devil on at 12Fm

cableguy615 on July 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM

TitularHead on July 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM

You’re right we do agree on most things. Despite my diagreements with religion, stoppping obamacare, spending, environmental whackos, and national security are much more important to me. That’s why I supported Bachmann and Santorum in the primary. That’s why I’m a Palin supporter b/c she’s a real conservative who hasn’t bent on core issues.

I will say though it doesn’t bode well for your argument to toss out the term “homo”. It shows a blatant disregard for gay people of which there are alot of good people.

And there are many kids who do suffer in bad households, so I think gay adoption should be on the table…. there are not enough traditional households willing to take them all in .. otherwise you and Mrs Tithead will be taking in a ton of kids.

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:42 PM

listens2glenn on July 29, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Not to me it’s not.

I supported Bachmann then Santorum in the primary.

Aren’t I the anomoly??

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM

AWRIGHT ! . . . . . . . We have an anomaly !

listens2glenn on July 29, 2012 at 9:42 PM

ROmney is a million times better than Maobama.

LevinFan on July 29, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I know where the subject of this thread was in 2009-10. Mitt was off gutlessly cringing in the corner as the “presumptive nominee.” As for Obama, I’ll criticize whomever I choose, whenever I feel like it. If you find that objectionable, I suggest that you find something else to concern yourself with.

ebrown2 on July 29, 2012 at 9:43 PM

its close because high 40% of ppl are on a Gov’t program …
and most don’t pay any taxes …

conservative tarheel on July 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM

\
You have this one right. This is how they work it -

A gal gets pregnant. Rather than getting married, the gal
applies for welfare, gets food stamps, housing allowance, section
8, whatever, free medical (medicaid), dental, day care, free schooling, etc. The guy lives
with her. His job, if he has one, is only part time usually,
and pays for the extras – like car sterios, cell phones, drugs,
beer, etc.

There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of young people
of all races involved in this scam.

Amjean on July 29, 2012 at 9:45 PM