Cheney: Palin pick in ’08 “a mistake”

posted at 12:31 pm on July 29, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

As we wait for Mitt Romney to pick his running mate in the next few weeks, the last successful GOP running mate has been privately advising the current GOP nominee and the head of his VP search committee, Beth Myers.  Cheney believes that the #2 slot has to be filled with someone ready to take over the top job on Day 1 — and that John McCain flunked that test in 2008.  In an interview with ABC News’ Jonathan Karl, Cheney called the selection of Sarah Palin “a mistake”:

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Cheney would not comment on what he told Romney and Myers, but he was harsh in his assessment of McCain’s decision to pick Palin.

“That one,” Cheney said, “I don’t think was well handled.”

“The test to get on that small list has to be, ‘Is this person capable of being president of the United States?’”

Cheney believes Sarah Palin failed that test.

“I like Governor Palin. I’ve met her. I know her. She – attractive candidate. But based on her background, she’d only been governor for, what, two years. I don’t think she passed that test…of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake.”

Whoo-ee!  Both Palin and Cheney are beloved by the conservative base, so I’m not sure which will get beat up more over this commentary. I’d guess that the Left is passing the popcorn this morning.

Rather than focus on that, what does this say about Cheney’s advice to Romney and Myers?  Using this framework, names like Marco Rubio, Kelly Ayotte, Susana Marinez, Nikki Haley, and perhaps even Bob McDonnell (governor for two and a half years) have to come off of Cheney’s short list.  Names like Rob Portman, Bobby Jindal, Tim Pawlenty, and Rick Perry would remain on the list.  With Romney’s deep background as an executive, that quality was almost certainly his foremost consideration, too, so Cheney’s advice would only reinforce Romney’s instincts here.  Plus, it doesn’t look like Romney will need a game-changing VP pick to make up ground against a popular incumbent, so the need to roll the dice will be low.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 13 14 15

I do kind of understand the whole “what good will it do now?” mindset, but that doesn’t mean I agree with it.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Why is it so important to not speak ill of the potential nominee when the GOP had no probem trashing Palin when she was actually campaigning as the nominee? I recal numerous candidates the people dissed/insulted during the campaing. Why should Mittens be goven a pass?

katiejane on July 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM

My fellow conservatives, Mr. Cheney is right. Sarah Palin is a uniquely motivational individual, talented and gave an acceptance speech that will go down in the annals of historic speeches, but come on, she was a lightweight. There is no denying that. Barack Obama was also a lightweight, but commanded a presence that made up for it. Also, right after Palin was announced, don’t you remember that it came out that her daughter had a baby out of wedlock? It seems McCain was blindsided by this news and made the best of it. It was a low moment and certainly Palin had to know her daughter was pregnant, and didn’t say anything to McCain about that. Terrible blunder in judgement.
Also, Palin backed two Senatorial candidates in 2010 that cost the Republican party of two vital seats. One in Nevada, and one in Delaware. With the right candidate we would have ousted Harry Reid, the most destructive Democrat in the US Government (2nd only to BHO)and Mike Castle was a shoe in for Delaware, granted he’s a RINO. That’s still better than the current “bearded Marxist” who won’t vote with Republicans ever. Mark Levin is another one who thinks Sharon Angle could beat Barack Obama, like Palin believes, but they are wrong.

Gardis - CT on July 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Watching this again, it doesn’t seem this was a comment or opinion that had to be dragged out of Cheney.
He seemed almost eager to get this out there.
As folks have noted, he could have just given a non-answer.
But he keep talking here even when he doesn’t have to.
So I think it’s safe to assume this was planned…and planned for a reason.
Perhaps there’s a group that included Cheney that felt SP needed to be knocked down a few pegs leading up to the convention and election.

verbaluce on July 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Why would I do that. mit tan dhis team by posioning the water for the last 3 years irt Palin is most likely one of the main reasons Palin choose not to run. So let me get this striaght you blame Palin for making a decision based on Mitt’s actions and threats of coninued actions. nice.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Yes I do blame Palin for backing down.

She had strong opposition with both the liberals and GOPe but is a srong and courageous leader supposed to back down?

Like I said she had great name recognition and aweome grassroots support — I would’ve donated alot and knocked on doors for her… but after stringing it out forever she said no.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 3:20 AM

On the major issues:

socialized medicine: Romney has pledged to repeal obamacare, obama wants single payer. …. and since you and others keep bringing it up: romenycare was wanted in MA, not jammed down people’s throats like obamacare.

Capitalism: Romney is successful businessman and is self made. He values the hard work of business owners and was visibly p@ssed at Obama’s “you didn’t build that” BS.

COnstitution: Romney is not a tyrant who thinks he can ignore laws like Obama has with immigration and by gutting welfare reform.

National defense: Romney believes in a strong defense that protects our interest, obama will allow Iran to get nukes and has already stopped harsh interrogations.

Romney won’t pass garbage like Dodd Frank that will kill small business and the economy as a whole. In fact, he has campaigned on repealing it.

…. I’m off to bed… check this out as a parting gift:

And remember what Palin has said all along: that it’s Anyone But Obama.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 3:13 AM

just so much wrong with tha tpost but too tired to rebut.

calling it anight.

unseen on July 30, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Really??? My post is incorrect??

Someone please enlighten me. I speak the truth.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Of course LevinFan and I don’t disagree. That’s what I’ve been trying to say throughout my whole participation in this thread. The difference is not whether we think Romney is a stinking worthless RINO; the difference between us is that I am advocating complete and even brutal honesty while, for the purposes of Romney’s campaign, LevinFan (and others) are advocating dishonesty. It’s really that simple.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 7:56 AM

I’m not advocating dishonesty at all. What I’m saying is you don’t highlight Romney’s biggest shortcomings in the most important election of our lifetime.

If asked about it, be honest about it, don’t cover it up, just don’t advertise it on the front pages.

One of the latest polls has obama up 6 in Ohio!! WTF??? Doesn’t that p!ss you off?? WTF is wrong with Ohio?? So what’s going to help us take critical states like Ohio? Calling Mitt a progressive or talking about why his plans to repeal obamacare and support of capitalism is superior to the soft tyranny under obama??

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Yes, but it’s also kind of funny to think that you, as an anonymous commenter on a blog are going to tank Romney’s candidacy by making a remark people don’t find helpful. If that were true, bluegill really would quit commenting until after the election. She does more harm to Romney than any honest criticism would.

Night Owl on July 30, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Talking on a blog probably won’t tank Romney but the attitude of those like gryphon just might. Gryphon will only vote for ROmney while others like he won’t even do that.

We need as much support we can get to win this. It also doesn’t help that if you’re going to continue to harp on ROmney’s shortcomings it’s not a good sell to convince people to vote for him — that goes for talking on a blog.. in the newspaper, in person, at the grocery store…. etc.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Of course McCain was the wrong choice, evidence by the fact this morning that he finds it necessary to defend his choice. I mean after these last four years ya gotta defend the choice?! C’mon, she is overwhelmingly popular and was the best choice. Ya don’t need to defend that. Gaawwwwd!

jake49 on July 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Not really. Cheney’s political expediency on this subject doesn’t
equate in my world.

My opinion is that marriage is between a man and a woman. Period.
End of Story.

I am okay with a gay couple having a civil union.

Whether a child of mine is gay has no revelance,
and shouldn’t.

The next thing you will be telling me is that because my child
joins a terrorist group I should change my opinion on that too! LOL

Amjean on July 30, 2012 at 9:21 AM

A bit of a jump to compare gay marriage to terrorism you think?

It seems many on here have the view that the gay lifestyle is wrong, that they’re sinners, etc.

What I’m saying is I think that’s bunk and many might agree if one of their own kids were gay (hint, hint, it’s genetic not a choice).

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

He seemed almost eager to get this out there.
As folks have noted, he could have just given a non-answer.
But he keep talking here even when he doesn’t have to.
So I think it’s safe to assume this was planned…and planned for a reason.

verbaluce on July 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I can think of a few reasons Cheney did this:

1. Palin backed Cruz is gaining on Dewhurst in Texas; election is
tomorrow. Rinos, Bush gang, etc. back Dewhurst.

2. The repub rinos don’t want Palin to speak at the convention:
a. Palin will excite conservatives and rinos despise
conservatives. Palin = conservatives
b. Palin will draw crowds and ratings if she speaks
just remember, rinos despise conservatives.

3. The rinos are liberals, same as the dem liberals. They just don’t want us to know it. Unfortunately for them, many of us have caught on. If they can lay blame to Palin it takes the spotlight off their nefarious activities.

4. They want to diminish Palin’s credibility so the conservatives she endorses don’t overtake the rinos Cheney and his liberal gang
are backing at the polls.

Just remember, the rinos repubs are the same as the liberal dems.
Keep repeating that to yourself. If one remembers this, it all starts falling into place. The pursuit of money and power, all on your tax dollar.

O/T I wish ALL would start replacing “the government paid for
whatever” with “the taxpayers paid for it”. Its time the US
citizens got a clue.

If Cruz wins tomorrow that will be BIG for Palin.

Amjean on July 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM

After reading through all 1600+ comments, I can safely say:

Palin won this flame war.

I’ve lost all the respect I had for the man. Be careful who you pick a fight with, Dick.

Listen, all these critisisms of Palin are counter-productive to the critics agenda. Some of these people really believe her legions of fans will abandon her because of what Dick Cheney might say?? LOL

Norwegian on July 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM

A bit of a jump to compare gay marriage to terrorism you think?

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I think I made my point.

Regarding the religion reason to be anti gay, I don’t take everything the bible says literally. So you didn’t
hear that from me.

While I believe some children are born more feminine or masculine
than others, I also believe that modern pop culture is trying to
draw young people to the gay lifestyle and I think that is wrong.
I predict a lot of work for therapists in the future.

I also am sick of homosexual flamboyant public behavior, just as I would be with a hetrosexual couple who are screwing on the beach.
The gay pride parades are a disgusting example. The over the top
feminine partner parody is nauseating.

Other than that I could care less who you pork in your bedroom.

Amjean on July 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM

If Cruz wins tomorrow that will be BIG for Palin.

Amjean on July 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I don’t care what’s really good for Palin.. I care what’s good for the country.

That’s why I want Cruz to win.

Palin should’ve ran but she didn’t. If she really believes it’s “Anyone But Obama” then she should endorse Romney.

Maybe Palin will if she speaks at the convention.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I think I made my point.

hear that from me.

While I believe some children are born more feminine or masculine
than others, I also believe that modern pop culture is trying to
draw young people to the gay lifestyle and I think that is wrong.
I predict a lot of work for therapists in the future.

The gay pride parades are a disgusting example. The over the top
feminine partner parody is nauseating.

Other than that I could care less who you pork in your bedroom.

Amjean on July 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I agree with you that the flamboyance is being thrown in our faces, that bothers me too.

I do think that religion is the biggest reason for the majority of the opposition to gay marriage though.

I don’t want anything thrown in my face but it really doesn’t affect my life in anyway if I have a gay married couple living next door to me.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Gov. Palin was the only reason McCain got more than 30% of the vote in 2008. His campaign was almost more of an Obama campaign than a McCain campaign.

Gov. Palin has offered up more American statesmanship over the last four years than anyone else on the Right. More than Romney, more than Paul, more than Pawlenty. Her regular commentary on the United States and our allies has been more presidential than anyone since Reagan. More than either Bush, more than Clinton/Carter/Obama combined.

It is only one thing that makes her so hated by the RINO world. She believes in American individualism, and takes it personally. She’s too individual for them, she would CHANGE things that they have exactly as they want, and to them that is the ultimate sin.

Freelancer on July 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM

You might want to change your screen name, because Levin is about to take Cheney to the woodshed..:)

idesign on July 30, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Just a little tune for everyone still commenting on this thread. Listen carefully and remember sing Stink Fish in place of Stink foot. It works flawlessly for me anyway. ; )

Stink Fish.

Bmore on July 30, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I’ve lost all the respect I had for the man.
Be careful who you pick a fight with, dick.
Norwegian on July 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Aka Ol’Limp dick

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on July 30, 2012 at 1:15 PM

idesign on July 30, 2012 at 12:53 PM

The first post in this thread I made, I was all over Cheney for showing himself to be a RINO for his pathetic comments on Palin.

Yet apparently I need to agree with Levin and others on everything single issue (gay marriage which is minor in the scope of things).

Yet you and others like unseen, ebronw, ddrint..etc REFUSE to even VOTE for Romney!!

In the biggest election of our lifetimes you’re sitting at home and pouting like a baby. You should all be ashamed of yourselves!!

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Cheney: What do these peasants like George Washington and Sarah Palin think they are up to? They aren’t able to be leaders like me and my buddy King George III! We’ve spent our lives learning to be bureaucratic and politically correct. Shun the newcomers!

kpguru on July 30, 2012 at 2:19 PM

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Oh I see. So you’re not in fact advocating rank dishonesty. You’re just advocating lies of omission, which aren’t as bad or something. All in the service of electing a big stinking steaming pile of Northeastern RINO.

Color me unimpressed.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 2:23 PM

C’mon Gryphon, LF is simply pointing out that the preliminary battle is over. At this point, you are either pro-Obama or anti-Obama. He’s no Mitt fanatic.

Our biggest problem in the country is an overspending issue. The Pres has less power to effect that than Congress does. Let’s burn some effort giving Mitt an overwhelmingly conservative congress. You know well that he will go along for the ride.

kpguru on July 30, 2012 at 2:31 PM

kpguru on July 30, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Well, LF hit on a sore spot for me. I’m beginning to think that the polls that show Obama within striking distance or ahead of Mitt in battleground states are bunk. I was more worried about it than I am now, on account of someone set me right and pointed out how grossly over-represented Democrats are in those polling samples. That alone is a big reason I don’t fear (although I do strongly despise) Obama as much as some Republican partisans do: I think we’re staring down the barrel of a 1980 redux, only without a conservative Republican waiting in the wings to pick up the slack.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 2:49 PM

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Wisdom doesn’t commit suicide -it retreats to fight another day. Your comment dissing Sarah refects the foolishness spoken by comic book heroes.

MacArthur ran from the Philippines only to stand victorious in Tokyo Bay on the “Fighting Mo” as the Japanese were forced to sign an unconditional surrender.
Sarah too shall/has returned, and she is still striking fear into the hearts of the elitist anti-base and tea party GOP crowd. That’s why Dick left his shotgun in Wyoming and ran to do the interview.

Don L on July 30, 2012 at 2:55 PM

C

steebo77 on July 30, 2012 at 2:56 PM

H

steebo77 on July 30, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I

steebo77 on July 30, 2012 at 2:56 PM

L

steebo77 on July 30, 2012 at 2:57 PM

L-

steebo77 on July 30, 2012 at 2:57 PM

BILLY.

steebo77 on July 30, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Correct, Romney is no Reagan. But in 1980, there was no groundswell of seats going to conservatives either. In this case, my hope is that Mitt gets pulled along by fiscal conservatives. He does not strike me as a reagan-esque leader on conservative principles.

kpguru on July 30, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Don L on July 30, 2012 at 2:55 PM

You’re just a Palin bot.

I’ll always admire Palin but bots like you do her no favors. To you clowns see can do no wrong. It’s sickening.

Really, you think she would’ve lost? Santorum almost beat Romney with no name recognition and no money, what do you think Palin could’ve done with awesome grassroots support??

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Just once I’d like to see an establishment Rep. defend Sarah.

What is it with the Rep. establishment?
Do they not want Palin fans to vote for Mitt?
Or, are they setting Palin up as the fall gal if Mitt loses?
Many conservatives are not too thrilled to have Romney as the nominee, so of course the establishment will win them over by putting down a very popular conservative Republican.

I can’t recall an election, besides 2008, where it was so important to determine the qualifications of only one of the VP candidates. The VP slot did not really affect the 2000 outcome, it was the two guys at the top of the ticket. Likewise, the 2004 election (the most important evah!) was determined by the guys at the top of the ticket. So why is it that in 2008, the person in the VP slot caused the loss and not the guy at the top of the ticket? The media treated Sarah like she was the presidential candidate instead of McCain. Heck, at the end, McCain seemed to give up and left it to Sarah to carry the ticket.

Cheney could have said that John McCain thought she was qualified and that was good enough for him and turned the question around to Obama’s qualifications for President. However, he is a close friend of the Bush family and they do not like Sarah Palin (at least Barbara doesn’t) and he probably shares their views.

With the selection of Romney, the establishment has won and they know that they can count on conservatives voting for the lesser of two evils in perpetuity. However, if they continue to take conservatives for granted that may change.

Ibanez Lotus on July 30, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Color me unimpressed.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Let’s look at how Levin has handled this:

He was all over Romney in the primary but has not been hammering him on being a big Northeastern RINO on an almost nightly basis now unlike in the primary.

And yes Levin hammered Romney for Mike Leavitt as he and everyone should have.

Since then have you heard Levin hammering Romney on a nightly basis?

Why do you think that is??

It’s basic common sense!

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM

kpguru on July 30, 2012 at 3:08 PM

He strikes me as a man who has spent most of his political career actively distancing himself from movement conservatism. I’m not going to roll over and just say “Oh f***ing well” when there’s so much at stake. Nope nope nope. Won’t do it.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Since then have you heard Levin hammering Romney on a nightly basis?

Why do you think that is??

It’s basic common sense!

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Mark Levin is a talk show host. He monologues. I am not. At least not here. It’s a false comparison, particularly since the purpose of Mark Levin’s show is NOT to “unify behind Republicans.” It is to secure and maintain ratings with which he can justify charging advertisers.

While I am commenting on a blog, this or any other, I will call out bullshit when and where I see it. Sometimes it comes from pols, and sometimes it comes from my fellow commenters, but if it’s there I will not ignore it.

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Don’t know how much you listen to Levin but his top priority is not ratings, it’s for America to once again prosper — for which conservatism is the only answer.

As much as he detest Romney, he knows it does us no good in terms of saving America to keep bashing Romney when obama must be defeated.

It’s so simple, it’s stupid!

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 3:31 PM

BILLY.

steebo77 on July 30, 2012 at 2:57 PM

; ) Schweet.

Bmore on July 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Well you don’t seem to cotton much to my assertion that Romney isn’t conservative. I know you agree with it. And I know Levin does too, but it sure bugs the ever-living shit out of you that I say it.

It’s so simple, it’s stupid!

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 3:31 PM

If Levin hadn’t ever publicly criticized Romney, I’d be tempted to think you weren’t in fact blowing smoke up my ass. He has, he does, and you are.

And if Levin’s primary concern isn’t ratings, how the bloody blue hell you think he’s going to be able to afford keeping his show going? You think he does it because he’s a swell guy who doesn’t need the money?

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM

So, then we ALL agree: Romney is not a conservative; but he is a far superior candidate than McCain was AND he is the obvious choice over Obama. Go team!

kpguru on July 30, 2012 at 3:46 PM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I swear it’s like talking to a wall!

For the 10000000000000000000X time… Levin and I were all over ROmney in the primary. The goal was to beat in in the primary. We lost.

It’s just plain stupid to keep hammering romney as a progressive now when he’s our only chance to beat obama! Why can’t you see this simple point??

And duh, of couse Levin cares about ratings, but I don’t think it’s his primary reason for the show. He wants to promote conservatism and for the country to succeed. If anyone is genuine in talk radio, it’s the Great One.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 3:49 PM

kpguru on July 30, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Far superior candidate to McCain? I’m not sure about that, but I’m fairly certain that McCain is water under the bridge. I will not cheerlead for a Republican party or a Republican nominee who has abandoned me.

I swear it’s like talking to a wall!

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Likewise, Butch. I think you need to study up on the concept of “principled opposition.”

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I swear it’s like talking to a wall!

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 3:49 PM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Not so sure that Romney is better than McCain?

Full disclosure, I saved what I’m about to post from another poster (I forget who) but I liked it and saved it to my records. I’ve been looking for a spot to post this:

The truth is Romney and McCain have very little in common. The attempts to link them, in my view, are misguided and born of delusion.

Shall we recount the differences?

1. Romney is actually a very bright guy.
Remember how McCain finished near the bottom of his class at the naval academy? Romney graduated cum laude with a dual degree from Harvard (business and law). He has proven his smarts in debates.

2. Romney spent 25 years in the private sector.
McCain for all his military experience did not know how the private economy worked. He married into a fortune making him more like John Kerry than Mitt Romney, who earned his $250 million fortune through founding a successful business and shrewd investing.

3. Romney has executive experience.
McCain may have commanded pilots, but he never ran a business or a state. Romney ran Bain, ran the Olympics and ran Massachussetts. He has an executive demeanor whereas McCain, like Dole before him, is a career legislator, much like Obama.

4. Romney is methodical.
The biggest knock on McCain was his erratic temperament. Remember the crazy start McCain got off to in ’07 with his poor polling and fundraising? Remember when he suspended his campaign in the fall, only to go off and vote for TARP? Romney in contrast is running a focused campaign, zeroing in on the economy and Obama’s record, with solid fundraising, and a constant message, bolstered by rapid-fire reponse that has already sustained damage to Obama (firing back on the “war on women,” “dog on roof,” “fairness” and Bain.)
Romney is no McCain. “Maverick” McCain shot from the hip. Romney and his team plan 10 steps ahead. Say what you will about his “likeability” but he’s no pushover. Oh, and Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin called Romney the conservative alternative to McCain in ’08, lest we forget.

Right back at ya, Butch.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Gardis – CT on July 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM

^ Absolutely 100% correct. ^

Most conservatives know that Palin is a lightweight and would be a terrible presidential candidate, but still admire her spirit and agree with her on most issues.

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM

You are not most Conservatives.

kingsjester on July 30, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Just once I’d like to see an establishment Rep. defend Sarah.

What is it with the Rep. establishment?
Do they not want Palin fans to vote for Mitt?
Or, are they setting Palin up as the fall gal if Mitt loses?

Ibanez Lotus on July 30, 2012 at 3:10 PM

It is about conservatives vs. liberal progressives on both
sides of the aisle. Bush and Cheney governed as progressives.
What about George Bush was conservative?

Don’t fall into their trap, thinking that this is about Palin.
Sarah Palin is the poster gal for conservatism. They don’t want
us to know what the rino progressive agenda is (just like the
liberal progressive agenda) so they attack the spokesperson.

It is not about Palin. It is about defeating conservatism so they
can increase their power and money with your tax dollars.

Amjean on July 30, 2012 at 4:57 PM

It is not about Palin. It is about defeating conservatism so they
can increase their power and money with your tax dollars.

Amjean on July 30, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I agree with what you have said above but you do realize that the GOP is still a million times better than the socialist Dems?

In other words fight like heck in the primary to replace the establishment hacks with conservatives and in the general support the nominee to defeat the socialist scum.

This is very apparent in the major differences between Romney and Obama.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 5:13 PM

kpguru on July 30, 2012 at 3:46 PM

THAT !!!

ABO folks ABO ….

conservative tarheel on July 30, 2012 at 5:17 PM

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I saw you defend me upthread since I’m supporting Romney. You’re right in that I’m a real conservative who realizes how important it is to defeat obama.

That’s why I’m supporting the big gov’t RINO Romney now. I don’t like the guy and fought like heck to defeat him in the primary. Other than RuPaul, Romney is the worst possible candidate we could’ve nominated.

Sarah Palin is a lightweight? Based on what? Being a real conservative who’s walked the walk? She left Alaska with a $12B surplus and successfully fought corruption in both parties. It’s a real shame she didn’t run and that phonies like yourself did everything you could to stop her.

There is no way I was going to let your stupid comment stand. I don’t like you, you’re a shameless Rombot.

I’ll go on supporting Romney b/c it’s conservatives like me who will carry his RINO a$$ across the finish line.

Got it?

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM

bluegill on July 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM

You are not most Conservatives.

kingsjester on July 30, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Why is bait allowed to speak ???

conservative tarheel on July 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM

L

evinFan on July 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM

well said +1000
now I have to go to work .. have fun and play nice …
or try anyhow ….

conservative tarheel on July 30, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Why is bait allowed to speak ???

conservative tarheel on July 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM

LOL! Here, have a song. Stink Fish.

Bmore on July 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM

And the epic struggle between gryphon and Levin continues into its second day. It’s like watching Charlton Heston and Stephen Boyd in Ben Hur. “It goes on, Judah. It goes on.”

spiritof61 on July 30, 2012 at 5:51 PM

spiritof61 on July 30, 2012 at 5:51 PM

You up here in the bleacher seats with me? Popcorn?

Bmore on July 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Anyone else getting ready to listen the Great One? Should be a great takedown of Darth Vader CHeneyy!

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Levin:

Was Abraham Lincoln a Governor or Senator?

He was a Congressman for about as long as Obama….

(my interpretation)so in other words it’s stupid argument that Cheny made.

I had the same problem with people back in 2008 whose main problem with Obama was his lack of experience….umm know it was his radical ideology!!

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I think there may have been something a bit wrong with that heart Cheney got.

trigon on July 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Yeah you may be onto something there trigon, it’s very puzzling as to why Cheney did what he did —- nice try though you’re not getting the last post on this thread—this one is all mine :)

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 6:33 PM

It is not about Palin. It is about defeating conservatism so they
can increase their power and money with your tax dollars.

Amjean on July 30, 2012 at 4:57 PM

This is very apparent in the major differences between Romney and Obama.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 5:13 PM

There is a lot of difference between a socialist and a plain, ordinary rino liberal. However, there is more of a difference between a constitutional conservative believing in smaller, smarter government, the 2nd amendment, a strong military and power back to the people than there is a plain, ordinary rino liberal.

Here is my take:

Obama has earned my disgust. His record is terrifying and will be more so if he is reelected.

Palin has earned my trust. Her record as mayor, gas & oil
commissioner and 2/1/2 years as gov, along with what she has accomplished since then trying to get conservatives elected to the house and senate is truly impressive. The fact that they released
thousands of her emails and not one, not ONE, was construed as to be offensive, criminal, etc. in any way is mindboggling. She walks the talk; few politicians have done that.

Romney has yet to earn anything. His record as gov of Mass. did not impress me. I fear he leans left. I fear that he wants to be president way more than he wants to serve the people.

However, I will vote for him because he is way better than Obama.
I will take a wait and see attitude.

That is all I can do. And I will not compromise my conservative beliefs in any way.

Amjean on July 30, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Here is my take:

Palin has earned my trust. Her record as mayor, gas & oil

However, I will vote for him because he is way better than Obama.
I will take a wait and see attitude.

Amjean on July 30, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I agree with the majority of what you said. Believe me you don’t know how much I wish it was Palin running against Obama now insead of Romney.

It is what it is.

It’s very scary how close this election that we cannot afford to lose is. I don’t see how we win without Ohio and Fla — Rasmussen has obama up 6 in OH and Romney up by 1 in FLA !!!

So I think it’s on all of us to do as much as possible to support Romney to get the worst president in history out of office.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 6:50 PM

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Or how about this? I’ll vote for Romney, I’ll continue to criticize him at least until the convention when his nomination is official, you’ll continue to criticize my criticisms of Romney, and we’ll all shave a few years off our collective lifespans with the stress?

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 6:33 PM

It’s a hit for her appearance at the Cruz rally here in Texas. Palin has been torpedoing party candidates with alarming regularity. The party insiders wanted Dewhurst. They most likely aren’t going to get him in Washington, largely thanks to Palin.

I think she intends to get as many of them out of power as she can. She isn’t leading an insurgency in the republican party. She is the insurgency.

trigon on July 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM

gryphon202 on July 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Don’t flatter yourself my friend, you don’t affect me that much :)

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Don’t flatter yourself my friend, you don’t affect me that much :)

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Yeah, it’s kind of like spraying Bullwinkle with Goof Gas.

MelonCollie on July 31, 2012 at 8:39 AM

1. Romney is actually a very bright guy.

2. Romney spent 25 years in the private sector.

3. Romney has executive experience.

4. Romney is methodical.

Right back at ya, Butch.

LevinFan on July 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM

LOL, these are the Romney selling points? They apply just as well to George Soros, Warren Buffett or Bill Gates.

ddrintn on July 31, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Wow, late to the party, 15 pages of comments.

I have some reading to do.

Dino V on July 31, 2012 at 12:52 PM

ddrintn on July 31, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Guessed you missed Romney campaigning for and defending the free market eh there genius??

LevinFan on July 31, 2012 at 4:38 PM