A “You didn’t build that” convention?

posted at 6:31 pm on July 29, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Could Democrats really be this tone deaf?  For nearly two weeks, Team Obama has been reeling from his “you didn’t build that” comment — to the extent that Barack Obama himself had to cut a personal response ad to stanch the bleeding, so far to no avail.  And yet, the Charlotte Observer picks up on a Boston Globe report from ten days ago that the “buzz” around the Democratic convention (such as it is) has the author of that argument, Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren, under serious consideration to be the keynote speaker at the DNCC:

The crowds at political conventions feast on partisan red meat, and they could end up with a bellyful when the Republicans and Democrats meet back to back beginning late next month.

An Obama campaign official confirmed to the Globe Wednesday that US Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren is ­being considered as a possible keynote speaker for the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C.

It would give the Massachusetts Democrat a national platform for her high-profile race against Senator Scott Brown, the same launch pad that ­Barack Obama used to vault ­into the public consciousness when he was an Illinois state Senator and was tapped to be the keynote speaker at the 2004 party meeting in Boston.

The Observer didn’t add much yesterday, but the new spotlight on the July 19th Globe story is certainly increasing the “buzz.”  It’s even more interesting that the Globe cited an official from Team Obama, anonymously, as the source of this information.

However, take into consideration the date that this trial balloon got floated.  The Roanoke speech took place on July 13th, when Obama first adopted Warren’s rhetoric on the beneficence of government accounting for all economic growth.  The blowback didn’t start in earnest until July 17th, when Mitt Romney blasted Obama in a widely-hailed speech that launched an entirely new attack strategy on Obama.  I’d bet that the Warren trial balloon got leaked to the Globe’s Glen Johnson somewhere between the July 13th speech and Romney’s rebuttal, or perhaps as late as the 18th, before it became apparent that Obama had stepped all over his own message by adopting Warren’s rhetoric.

Once again, take a look at this mashup of Obama and Warren delivering essentially the same message — that small business owners only succeed through the contributions of others to infrastructure, which ignores the fact that infrastructure exists in large part because of the wealth created by those who take risks to expand markets and create new ones.  With all of the backpedaling that Team Obama has had to conduct over the last two weeks on this point, do Democrats still want this strident, angry speaker to pontificate further as the keynote speaker at the national convention, explaining to a prime-time audience that small businesses are just barely-tolerated parasites on the body proletariat?

At least Democrats would present their attitudes toward free enterprise honestly if they led off the festivities with this rant.  We’re probably not that lucky.  I suspect that the Warren-as-keynote-speaker trial balloon got popped the moment Obama had to cut that “Romney’s unfair for quoting me accurately” campaign ad.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Will the donks gas all the real Indians as they protest outside?

Smart money says YES.

jukin3 on July 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

She speakum’ big heap dung.

iceman1960 on July 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

guaranteed troll free thread™

Sorry to steal your thunder, tom daschle concerned.

CurtZHP on July 29, 2012 at 8:36 PM

NP mate! Good use of my trademark comment.

tom daschle concerned on July 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Holy moly, Ed. I just heard Brendan Hansen, US Bronze medalist in the 100m breastroke say that the key to his success was a good set of parents and a lot of hard work. I was stunned to see that he gave no credit, none whatsoever, to the roads and bridges that got him to the practice pool.

ted c on July 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

By golly you cannot be successful without help and there are thousands of us lefties out here that will take some of the credit for your hard work.

mixplix on July 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

ted c on July 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

“he didn’t win that medal. Somebody else did that!”
*obambi and two dogs f’ing

VegasRick on July 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM

two dogs f’ing

VegasRick on July 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM

In the variant of that joke, the butt of the joke is addressed as Broken Rubber. Also fits, in her case…

massrighty on July 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Warren owes her success to the many fake Native-Americans who came before her.

hepcat on July 29, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Democrats! Ignore Ed Morrisey’s “advice”!

Push that button!

PUUUUSH IIIITT!!!!

You know ya wanna… you’ll feel sooooo much better afterwards.

Alberta_Patriot on July 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM

guaranteed troll free thread™

Sorry to steal your thunder, tom daschle concerned.

CurtZHP on July 29, 2012 at 8:36 PM

NP mate! Good use of my trademark comment.

tom daschle concerned on July 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

..I think they all got suckered into one of the Romney headline threads. At least Floating Turd was working overtime over there. Probably worked up a righteous case of carpal tunnel.

The War Planner on July 29, 2012 at 9:02 PM

The thing the Dems need to realize that the same infrastructure they claim built business is the same infrastructure that supports murders, rapists, dope dealers, car theifs, burglars….. and the same school system that places the US at the bottom of the list of developed nations in math and science.

The same people for whom Obama wants to level the field are the ones who have been failed by the same infrastructure Obama praises. It is the same system that leaves many of the people who have been failed with no choice but to lead a life of crime, under education, and dependence on the rest of us who support the system.

zdpl0a on July 29, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Warren owes her success to the many fake Native-Americans who came before her.

hepcat on July 29, 2012 at 8:58 PM

And the many fake Native-Canadians, too!

Del Dolemonte on July 29, 2012 at 9:20 PM

that video is money. Nice work Ed.

ted c on July 29, 2012 at 9:26 PM

This Chickasaw princess sez “Bring it on Cherokee huzzy”.

soozer47 on July 29, 2012 at 9:29 PM

She speakum’ big heap dung.

iceman1960 on July 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Ugh.

itsspideyman on July 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM

will she give the keynote in her native Cherokee tongue????/

ted c on July 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Yes. (She believes forked is actually bilingual.)

Barnestormer on July 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM

ted c on July 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

“he didn’t win that medal. Somebody else did that!”
*obambi and two dogs f’ing

VegasRick on July 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Don’t worry- Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Larry Ellison, and the other great entrepreneurs were not offended and have often voiced similar sentiments regarding the opportunities brought to them as a consequence of their US birth.

Sorry to hear that Joe the Plumber was so offended. I’m sure he would have been just as successful anywhere, even if born in Uganda.

bayam on July 29, 2012 at 10:13 PM

For the past month we have been treated to a long list of high profile Democrats passing on the convention. Based on that I figure maybe that is why she is giving a keynote address. There are few others to do it.

DaveDief on July 29, 2012 at 10:19 PM

/Yeah, it was funnier when I saw it in my head.

AZfederalist on July 29, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I laughed.
Not a lot…but I did laugh.

An’ I’m stealin’ it, too. My democRAT neighbor will love it.

Solaratov on July 29, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Campaign slogan for Brown:

Vote for Me – Not the hypocritical RICH Democrite

FlaMurph on July 29, 2012 at 10:30 PM

…I really hope she appears at the podium in a full Native-American Headdress!

KOOLAID2 on July 29, 2012 at 10:36 PM

How!

Chuck Schick on July 29, 2012 at 10:40 PM

This is a fun story, but remember that it’s ultimately about advancing Warren’s chances, not Obama’s. It’s had its fifteen seconds of fame, so time for everyone to move on. Next story, please.

The Resolute Desk on July 29, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Barack you-didn’t-build-that Obama. That’s what he’s now known as. That’s gonna be pretty hard to run away from that considering that Obama himself is still embracing it by falsely saying he was taken out of context.

MrX on July 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM

From “Yes we can” to “no you didn’t”…Is it racist or sexist to say “Yes we did”?

Herb on July 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM

The Resolute Desk on July 29, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I disagree.

Going back to the Clinton Administration, just about every time something about Bill came to be known…the Dems reaction?

“Old story. Already been covered. Tine to move on.”

Under Obama, it has been “It is a distraction. It is old news. Already covered that. Move on.”

Remember MoveOn. org? It began with its opposition to the impeachment of U.S. President Bill Clinton in 1998.

It later gained prominence as a vehicle to try to take down the GW Bush Administration.

What the Left, the Progressives, cannot deal with is their history, their actions, recent and present, and such being shown the light of day day after day after day.

They want to set the agenda. They need to set the agenda. Thus, they will stifle all efforts to cover anything that may show them in a bad light.

No, we need to hit them with every utterance, every misstep, every crackpot idea or progressive politician’s stupidity day after day after day.

Make them, force them, to react to their own words, their own deeds…and never fall prey to that old “Nothing to see here. been covered. Time to move on.”

So long as too many Americans demonstrate such a short attention span…we really are doing none of us any service at all by moving on….and letting them set the agenda.

The MSM, from the NYT, ABC and MSNBC and al the other acolytes of Progressivism need to spend their time, waste their time and resources, trying to cover for Leftist Progressive mistakes and failures and crimes…and in doing so show the bankruptcy of both the MSM and the Progressive Left.

I, for one, refuse to “move on.”

It is how they stopped the Clinton impeachment…by telling us it was just about sex with an intern…never about the President of the United States using the Office of the President to deny at least six American women their right to due process of law, their civil right.

coldwarrior on July 29, 2012 at 11:04 PM

She speakum’ big heap dung.

iceman1960 on July 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

How can we top this? That’s bumper sticker material for Scott Brown.
Everyone in the house is wondering why I’m laughing so hard

LeftCoastRight on July 29, 2012 at 11:35 PM

We’re not gon’ be this lucky.

Schadenfreude on July 29, 2012 at 11:40 PM

bayam on July 29, 2012 at 10:13 PM

why don’t we poll everyone who is in the top 1% in wealth and agree that whatever policies a majority of those people prefer – all leftists will agree to support? That you will push the democrats to enact laws in conformity with the top 1%’s wishes. Will you do that? If not, then why do you keep telling us what Gates or Zuckerberg allegedly want for policies?

Monkeytoe on July 17, 2012 at 7:39 AM

rogerb on July 29, 2012 at 11:49 PM

rogerb on July 29, 2012 at 11:49 PM

It is that 1% which is responsible for the entire “progressive” movement.

So, progressives today would have no problem whatsoever with a junta of “intelligentsia” making all of our decisions for us…because they know. We don’t. We are just exploited Jews, or other exploited ethnicity which refuse to kowtow to the whims of our betters.

coldwarrior on July 29, 2012 at 11:54 PM

In many cases that big factory is the major source of taxes for the community. So more accurately the person that build it also paid for all the roads, police, firemen and most everything else in town.

Where do these idiots think Government gets it’s money from? I know from the poor.

Steveangell on July 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

cutandpaste

bayam on July 29, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Obama be on own trail of tears this November when squash is yellow and corn is popping.

profitsbeard on July 30, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Elizabth Warren as a KEYNOTE speaker??

I’ll need a cigarette to go with my popcorn…

Khun Joe on July 30, 2012 at 2:00 AM

bayam on July 29, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I see bayam is still digging that hole deeper.. geez.. now why would we be shocked to discover 1% uber wealthy pull the ladder up after them socialists and mega bucks Obama donors aren’t offended?

As if they and they alone have an opinion that matters..

I’m sure let wingers think so.. since after all, why listen to anyone who disagrees with them.. they have.. what.. 3.. THREE guys on their side.. whoopee..

and after that.. you have the gall to insult our patriotism?

Because we don’t wag our tails at high taxes.. teachers taht every advanced country has.. roads that they all have.. but by not kissing the ground on cue for Obama.. we’re not proud Americans?

Joe earned your scorn for not bowing and scrapping at the all powerful Obama “(Praise be his name?) as if that were proof we’re proud Americans?

I served this country proudly, had 3/4 of my hearing blown out doing so, now, I walk with a cane after having my back broken in two places working hard in a tough on the bones trade.. disabled.. but to you I’m not a patriot because I don’t worship infrastructure as the great and powerful Obamassiah does?

G.. F.. Y.. self…

I spit steel spikes if my country needs me to..

What the Hell have you sacrificed for it.. Don’t you freakin DARE question anyone’s patriotism here douchebag.. you don’t have the stones to do what many of us have done for this country, so go to Hell….

mark81150 on July 30, 2012 at 3:46 AM

My apologies to Hotair.. I lost my temper, but having my.. our patriotism called into question because we don’t buy Obama’s excuses is just too much..

There are vets here who’ve lost much more, sacrificed so very much more.. and good and decent people who spend their lives making this a better place.. and to have that spit on by a political hack.. because his boss man is falling behind and he’s angry and throwing spitballs..

too much..

I get up, every 8 hours and take the meds which enable me to have some semblance of function, it hurts to walk, to stand for long, the implants cause God awful headaches and if I miss the time and forget to take them, I’m reminded when the rush of pain overwhelms my remaining defenses.. then, I hibble to them, and sit back 40 minutes to wait while the kick in.. the pain makes even standing so racking painful, it’s hard not to vomit from it sometimes.. I did this to myself.. pushing too hard, to do a great job and earn the rewards for my wife and kids.. I do it for them, I hide what I can, I still fight, everyday to make things good for them, even if I’m weeping inside from the ache which never goes away..

I did this.. and I have no regrets, but that I didn’t do more, serve longer, work longer.. and as I sit here, aching through my soul, I read this fool telling us, we ain’t patriotic like them.. because we don’t give wild praise to the liberals and their works when we succeed.. just getting out of bed, a chair is a success for me, a struggle that costs me just a little more grey everytime I do it..

I refuse to praise these demagogues for that success, it’s not for them.. Nobody does what they do.. for THEM..

We do it for our wives/husbands children and loved ones.. we do it for pride and we do it for ourselves.. but never.. not once is a great success done for them, the hangers on, the government worshipers.. never for their benefit…

guys like bayam will never get it, never understand what motivates those who struggle hard for something, we don’t even think about them and their petty wants..

sorry.. It’s not the success that he speaks of, but it’s a very personal success, to do what the doctors think is not possible..the struggles are at least as hard.. so it’s the insights I speak of, from the fight to live a normal life..

Nobody succeeds for the reason Bayam thinks.. so for them to claim that prize is worse than theft..and Obama shares in that crime..

Success is a very personal, singular achievement..

They can’t steal that with some stupid rant about roads.. teachers.. we’re all the sum of our experiences, but they can’t be separated out and rewarded like Obama would want, they’re a mix, a blend of the whole.. and in each of us, it’s very much our own personal victory.

A victory only we are free to reward as we see fit, each of us, they have no claim, no right to a piece of our success, because they didn’t sweat, bleed, suffer through it, we did.

mark81150 on July 30, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Does anyone know if she plans to speak while being surrounded by a bunch of fake tipis?

pilamaye on July 30, 2012 at 5:44 AM

pilamaye on July 30, 2012 at 5:44 AM

There is nothing fake my tipis! Your racial bigotry against Native-Americans like me is unacceptable.
- Soviet-Lizzy

Valkyriepundit on July 30, 2012 at 5:53 AM

It couldn’t be better to have Chief Elizabeth Talkum Bull on the stump 24/7 along with Obama. The more they talk, the worse it seems to get in the polls. Rasmussen already has Romney up by 5.

TonyR on July 30, 2012 at 6:16 AM

We just might be so lucky.

Obama is trying to rally the base, and the base just can’t hear enough about how Dems are going to take away stuff from the evil rich and give it to them. I still have a lot of friends on the left side (it’s Austin, what can I say?), and they luv them some Elizabeth Warren. To them, Obama’s problem is that he isn’t socialist enough. They are setting up Warren as the next big socialist hope.

bitsy on July 30, 2012 at 6:27 AM

MrX on July 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM

His entire existence has been taken out of context.

Bitter clingers, that we be.

TonyR on July 30, 2012 at 6:16 AM

Maybe give her a city diorama that she can continuously point out all the things that everyone didn’t build.

…and some flash cards!

98ZJUSMC on July 30, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Please oh please let them put her on the podium front and center..

I doubt even they are that dumb, but we can hope.

mark81150 on July 30, 2012 at 6:46 AM

bitsy on July 30, 2012 at 6:27 AM

Confirmed Dems are dumber than a bag of rocks (worse actually since a rock is pretty much a rock and doesn’t pretend to be something it is not).

Dems made the assumption that all the stealin’ and takin’ would be complete by this point. Illegals would be enjoying amnesty, the private health system would be a smoldering ruins, same sex marriage would be a federally mandated benefit for homosexual-Americans, the oil companies would be forced to turn over any profit to a government agency set up to address their crimes against the enviornment, etc… What I do not understand is why these commies pretending to care about this nation have not held Obama to more account for their dashed expectations. These traitors really think that Obama deserves another four years to destroy this nation and re-make it into the European model.

Happy Nomad on July 30, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Please oh please let them put her on the podium front and center..

I doubt even they are that dumb, but we can hope.

mark81150 on July 30, 2012 at 6:46 AM

So would this be the first time that a native-American gave a keynote speech? Let’s hope they go with that theme considering that Warren has never admitted that she made up a heritage to get into jobs that she’d never be considered for without quotas.

She is a perfect keynote speaker for the Dem convention. Lack of real academic credentials, a liar, an opportunist, and generally just not a nice person.

Happy Nomad on July 30, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Can any Massachusetts native explain to me how this bitter old hag has the lead over Scott Brown?…

Pest on July 30, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Would be dreadful if Warren wins the election. We do not want her in the Senate – ever.

Amazingoly on July 30, 2012 at 7:20 AM

I have to compliment the Communist Democrats…..

They are fearless to fight for what they believe in (of course with poll-tested words like “invest”, and “working families”). From Schumer to state and local officials, to Agency heads, to department Secretaries, they are forceful in enacting their agenda.

If only we had a gop that had 1/2 the talent and backbone to go for the jugular of the left like they do.

Alas, we have a pathetic republican ruling class that loves the praise of the traitorous media more than the Principles of the Founders.

PappyD61 on July 30, 2012 at 7:24 AM

If the present Dem. convention drop-rate holds, they can conduct their Commie Pow-wow at a drive-in movie pasture. It’ll just be Princess “Stands-and-Looks-Pissed” screeching nonsense from atop the concession stand roof and 2DawgsF’ing in the back seat of a Volt — with the speaker turned off.

TheClearRiver on July 30, 2012 at 8:06 AM

I guess the question is if “fair and balanced” CNN will air “Stupid Girls” before she speaks at the DNC.

NoPain on July 30, 2012 at 8:16 AM

New Romney ad takes Obama to the mat and hammers him with a SBO in Ohio. Does a great job showcasing a small business and goes again to the “We Built That” meme.

ted c on July 30, 2012 at 8:16 AM

bayam on July 29, 2012 at 10:13 PM

That’s true, Uganda doesn’t have that wonderful American system of building infrastructure on the tax dollars of businesses and wealthy individuals, and then deriding them for not contributing to the system.

The Schaef on July 30, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Forget the Indian and socialist stuff for a moment, if we can.

Warren is Hillary Clinton after a rough night of cheap Scotch. They both share a icepick-frequency voice that only becomes more painful when stressed or at high volume.

The multitudes of ignorant voters may have no idea who she is prior to the convention, so all they will see and hear is their shrill, bug-eyed, hectoring ex-wife, teacher, co-worker or aunt.

Let her rant and rave and watch America recoil in horror and the MSM wonder why she doesn’t appeal to anyone beyond Boston or Manhattan.

jangle12 on July 30, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Maybe she will give BO one of her balls, that way they will both have two.

Wade on July 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Eli Manning was just on the NFL channel speaking in reference to the last Super Bowl victory. Funny, Eli gave no special recognition to roads and bridges for success. Eli probably pays more in taxes than a small town population combined.

jjnco73 on July 30, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Maybe she will give BO one of her balls, that way they will both have two.

Wade on July 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM

damn you… I can’t laugh like that.. it hwurts…

meany..

mark81150 on July 30, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Happy Nomad on July 30, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Hell… my grandma told me I had Indian blood too, making me a one sixteenth.. but, I never claimed being anything but white.. never even considered putting it on a government document.. I have German and Welsh blood too.. but don’t claim to be European..

If I follow the logic.. I could have gone to Harvard too.. after all at one sixteenth, I’m twice the native American she is.

But grandma’s tend to tell tales too, taller with each telling, so maybe yes, maybe no, I have no idea… certainly no proof. But every family here claims some Indian blood..

mark81150 on July 30, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I suppose by this logic Democrats should be glorifying primordial ooze.

diogenes on July 30, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Divide and conquor. Class warfare – employer vs. employee. That’s what Barry’s “You didn’t build that” speech was about, NOT roads and bridges. It was intended to divide with resentment.

bob77 on July 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM

typing too fast…

bob77 on July 30, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I wonder if Obama will fill empty seats with military like the UK is doing at the Olympics?

workingclass artist on July 30, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Pathetic.

That’s the only word to describe the Progressive Left.

Obama cannot run on his own record, sol what does he do?

Hires Bill Clinton to shill for him at the convention.

This, after Obama played the race card on Bill back in 2008.

If Bill had any sort of sense of honor ( I know, no progressive does) he’d have told Obama to stick it where the sun don’t shine.

But, instead, he’ll be out there, touting the Glory of Barrack Hussein Obama and make all the progs feel good about themselves.

Pathetic.

coldwarrior on July 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM

workingclass artist on July 30, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Don’t give Obama any ideas. Fort Bragg is right down the road from the Dem convention.

coldwarrior on July 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM

The DNCC announces an ethnic festival celebration the day before the convention. Elizabeth Warren will lead the native American portion of the celebration, including a cooking demo.

pnkearns on July 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM

pnkearns on July 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM

With Fauxcahontas leading the crowd, I’d beware of the ticket scalpers.

coldwarrior on July 30, 2012 at 11:41 AM

mark81150 on July 30, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Bless you. Your rant should go viral.

Portia46 on July 30, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Yes. A thousand times YES.

Democrats – YKIMS.

CorporatePiggy on July 30, 2012 at 2:53 PM

DNC, stop teasing me.

idalily on July 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM

OK this just confirms it. The Dems must have signed up so many dead people, minorities, dead pets, illegal aliens etc….that they KNOW they are going to win. Hey it worked in 2008 and for Al Franken and Harry Reid so why not this time around? There can be no other explanation for doubling down on stupid. This bunch of Dems are so radical that they just keep pushing their crazytown agenda come heck or high water.

neyney on July 30, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Sure, get Squatting Deer up there, let her talk.

mojo on July 30, 2012 at 3:38 PM