A younger Obama considered his first employer, “the enemy”

posted at 1:01 pm on July 28, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

While the President continues to bristle at the notion that people should pay attention to his “You didn’t build that” comments and his supporters insists we’re reading too much into it, a look at Barack Obama’s younger self tells a different story. Just how does he view business owners and capitalists in general? One peek into the inner thought process which formed his world view can be found in a book released earlier this year by David Maraniss titled, Barack Obama: The Story. I confess I missed this one when it came out, but a friend has been reading it and pointed out some rather telling passages, particularly in light of the recent flap. But I wasn’t the only one to notice, nor the first. The Washington Examiner’s Byron York picked up on it last month.

Obama spent very little time in business, but he did have a job at a company called Business International for about a year after he graduated from Columbia University in 1983. The book contains new details about the future president’s brief stint in corporate America.

Obama was a low-level editor in Reference Services, working on reports describing economic conditions in various foreign countries. By all accounts, he disliked the work, not just because it was pedestrian and boring, but because it was in business.

“He calls it working for the enemy,” Obama’s mother, Ann, wrote after a phone conversation with her son, “because some of the reports are written for commercial firms that want to invest in [Third World] countries.”

The book goes on to point out that this information came from a letter his mother wrote to her mentor, Alice Dewey, in Honolulu. In addition to that call, Maraniss notes that the same theme was repeated in a call to this then girlfriend.

“Obama wrote a letter to his former girlfriend, Alex McNear, during that period, the last he would write to her. As in his telephone conversation with his mother, he expressed a distaste for the corporate world. He wrote Alex on Business International stationery, but crossed out the logo on the envelope and scribbled in his own address on West 114th Street.”

But wait… the book has a few other goodies. While it’s true that Obama did work briefly at B.I. and mentions it in his memoir, Dreams From My Father, his description of his position there was, shall we say, a case of taking a bit of literary license at best. (Taken from page 484 of the hardcover version of Barack Obama: The Story.)

“In his book Obama described B.I. as a ‘consulting house’ to multinational corporations. ‘I had my own office, my own secretary, money in the bank,’ he wrote. ‘Sometimes, coming out of an interview with Japanese financiers or German bond traders, I would catch my reflection in the elevator doors – see myself in a suit and tie, a briefcase in my hand – and for a split second, I would imagine myself as a captain of industry, barking out orders, closing the deal, before I remembered who it was that I wanted to be and felt pangs of guilt for my lack of resolve.’ It was an exaggeration to define B.I. as a consulting house. One of his former colleagues described it as ‘a small company that published newsletters on international business. . . . It was a bit of a sweatshop. . . . Sure we all wished we were high-priced consultants to internationals.’ Another called it ‘high school with ashtrays.’ Obama’s office was the size of a cubicle, barely large enough to fit a desk, and faced an interior hallway; he had no secretary, and the dress code was informal; people in his position rarely if ever wore suits. ‘He dressed like a college kid,’ said Lou Celi, who had an image in his mind’s eye of Obama coming to work now and then in white pants. One colleague remembered Obama wearing the same dark pants, nondescript shirt, and narrow tie day after day, like a uniform.”

None of this is illegal, of course, nor even immoral. But it does provide a yet another look into the formative process that the President went through as a young man, which certainly speaks to his opinions later in life. Is it really such a stretch to assert that he’s not exactly a fan of private business and capitalism? B.I. was self-described as a firm with a goal, “to advance profitable corporate and economic growth in socially desirable ways.” And this is the company which, after giving the young Obama a job, he described as, “The Enemy.”

I’ll leave it to you to make the call. Then again, I’m a well known trouble maker so I’m probably reading too much into this too, right?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Betcha his first employer thought he was a worthless sack of crap. Obama didn’t work then and he doesn’t work now.

natasha333 on July 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I consider the company that placed me as a contractor “The Enemy” since they do nothing but waste my time and make me jump through hoops for no reason. Where I work I often feel I’m the washroom attendant. I don’t blame Business and Capitalism but I don’t feel I owe either side any great loyalty.

emerson7 on July 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM

This is bad. Certainly it wouldn’t make a good reference for any job, calling a previous employer “the enemy,” let alone as the one employed by all the people of the United States. Kind of like a job candidate who says in an job interview “I don’t take instruction well.” But the stronger the evidence the better, of O calling his employer “the enemy.” It sounds like at best that we have hearsay (?) here, unfortunately. Is there a tape or physical evidence of the letter?
Oh, and I like how Bmore put it: O considers this employer the enemy also it would seem.

anotherJoe on July 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Imagine that!

Obama considered his only real, short-lived job as working behind “enemy lines”!

OxyCon on July 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM

emerson7 on July 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I’m a contractor. I’m glad for the mutually beneficial relationship with my agency who placed me and with the business for whom I work day to day. I feel loyalty to neither and I shouldn’t. That is how capitalism works. People putting their goods and services on the market for their own ends and people buying the same for their own ends. It is the best system in the world!

MJBrutus on July 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Will Obama’s secretary please step forward.

tutu on July 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

lol, you do know that your sig is what O’bama’s rich white grandma insisted on being called? It’s the Hawaiian reference for “grandmother”.

But according to an article I saw in 2008 (Vanity Fair?) Madelyn Dunham refused to eat Kalua Pig and Poi with her Hawaiian neighbors. Preferred to go home to whiskey and cigarettes.

Del Dolemonte on July 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I’m sure he still holds these views. Of coarse, now he is employed by the American people.

BDavis on July 28, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Almost forgot the even more damning context of this quote from Obama’s book: “Like a spy behind enemy lines, I arrived every day at my mid-Manhattan office and sat at my computer terminal.” … “I would need the money later, I told myself. Organizers didn’t make any money; their poverty was proof of their integrity.

forest on July 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM

This isn’t new information. It’s smack in the middle of his Ayers-breathed, Homeric-styled, semi-fictional, post-modern autobiography, “Dreams from my Father”. But in 2008, this kind of thing didn’t matter a whit to anyone, not even half the so-called conservative/Republican kommentariat was interested in what a phenomenal and outrageous fraud that book is, and what its fraudulence reveals about the man and his doppelganger from Chicago, Bill Ayers.

bobcalco on July 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Those of us who were paying attention heard about this 4 years ago.

agmartin on July 28, 2012 at 3:11 PM

emerson7 on July 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I would lay odds that your concept of your agency as “The Enemy” is quite different from Barky’s. He wasn’t speaking figuratively or with tongue in cheek in any way (at least Ayers wasn’t).

You don’t owe anyone any “loyalty”, if that is meant as being some sort of cheerleader and enthusiastic worker with a smile all the time, but you do owe your employer your best efforts which they are paying for, and not doing anything to sabotage them. If you hate your work and are only doing things that make you feel like a bathroom attendant, then maybe you should move to another line. If it’s regulations that are causing your problem (and it often is) then your problem is neither with your agency nor the companies you contract at.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Obama doesn’t believe business’ serve their customers; he thinks they exploit them.

He doesn’t acknowledge the mutually beneficial value that is created through voluntary exchange.

Econ 101

aquaviva on July 28, 2012 at 3:26 PM

So once again we are faced with the fact that the current occupant in chief at the White House is a delusional bastard incapable of separating fantasy from reality.

workingclass artist on July 28, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Bill O’Reilly: “Obama isn’t a Socialist/Marxist, he is a ‘Reluctant Capitalist’”…
Seriously, Bill? A “Reluctant Capitalist”? LOL

Strike Hornet on July 28, 2012 at 3:32 PM

An O/T question. Did anyone see the olympics yesterday and if so, did the US athletics lower Our Flag when going before the Queen? I can’t find this info anyplace. Thanks.
L

letget on July 28, 2012 at 3:33 PM

This all makes sense…as President, Mr. Obama works for “The People” who he CLEARLY sees as “The Enemy”…

Strike Hornet on July 28, 2012 at 3:36 PM

bobcalco on July 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM

True. Nothing new here at all. Does everyone remember the graduation ceremonies that Obamandias and Moochelle spoke at? Exhorting grads to avoid the dirty world of business where people go only to make money and instead to pursue the pristine, altruistic world of government where people buy unicorns for poor kiddies.

What most libs fail to understand is that labor is a service that many of us sell to employers. The price that we command for our labor depends on the value of what we do and the availability of our competitors who are capable of providing as much value as we do. What I earn shouldn’t be more if the employer makes 10 times what I get for my labor if there are there are others who are willing to work for less than I do. Nor should an employer hire me if I cannot provide enough value to justify the cost of my employment. That is how capitalism works. Employers don’t hire me to improve the quality of my life or of my community. They hire me to improve their profitability. If I want to earn more, it is incumbent on me to acquire skills that are in higher demand and provide greater value to employers.

It is the pursuit of profits that leads to the most efficient and productive use of limited resources. That is the key to improving all of our lives, including those of the poor who at the very least will benefit from the charity of a wealthy society.

MJBrutus on July 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Capitalist exploiters are the enemy. He thought that before Dreams. He thought that while Dreams was being written, and he thinks that today.

AshleyTKing on July 28, 2012 at 3:39 PM

None of this is illegal, of course, nor even immoral.

Not immoral? Then we have a different definition of immoral. Lying not just once but over and over and over again to form a flattering and politically calculated representation of reality is pretty damned immoral.

Django on July 28, 2012 at 3:47 PM

bobcalco on July 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Amen. And that revolting establishment con/Rep kommentariat is still with us, cautioning us against being mean to the “popular” Obama and trying to get Jeb Bush into national office.

With friends like those….

Django on July 28, 2012 at 3:51 PM

So you’re telling me the media can’t find one person he worked with to talk about him?

They can’t find one person that went to school with him?

They can’t find one person that he “taught”?

They can’t find one single member of the Choom game to tell us about Obama?

Seriously?

Wagthatdog on July 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM

So the only semi-real job in the private sector Obama ever had, for about one year right out of college, he considered “working for the enemy” because it was associated with investors that invested in third world countries.

I guess the young socialist equated “investing” in third world countries to capitalist colonialist exploitation, like a good little Marxist should.

This is revealing. Team Romney should find a way to use it.

farsighted on July 28, 2012 at 4:53 PM

What barack hated was working.

Rational Thought on July 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM

And he hated working for The Man, for capitalists he perceived as basically colonialists, most of all.

farsighted on July 28, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Whoa, for a minute there, reading the quote from Obama’s book and the words of his ex co-workers; I almost thought BHO lied there for a minute.
Smelling salts, please.

Kenz on July 28, 2012 at 5:19 PM

They can’t find one person that went to school with him?

They can’t find one person that he “taught”?

They can’t find one single member of the Choom game to tell us about Obama?

Seriously?

Wagthatdog on July 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Upstream in the thread I mentioned a Vanity Fair article from 2008. That had interview quotes with 1 or 2 of his Punahou School chums, but I can’t remember if it had any with any of his college friends.

Del Dolemonte on July 28, 2012 at 5:22 PM

The absolute laziest wanker ever elected in American politics…

karra on July 28, 2012 at 5:28 PM

he’s being taken out of context……

ted c on July 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

“Obama spent very little time in business, but he did have a job at a company called Business International for about a year after he graduated from Columbia University in 1983″

excerpt: Byron York

STOP THE PRESSES ! ! !
. . . Am I to understand that Barack H. Obama held a REAL job of work, at one time ?
Color me amazed. : O

listens2glenn on July 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM

They can’t find one person that went to school with him?

They can’t find one person that he “taught”?

They can’t find one single member of the Choom game to tell us about Obama?

Seriously?

Wagthatdog on July 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Those persons have long since already been tracked down, and “given offers they couldn’t refuse”.

listens2glenn on July 28, 2012 at 5:55 PM

he doesn’t seem to respect his current employer either.

Rodger on July 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I’ve seen parts of this story before and the part that still resonates the most with me is the lies about B.I.

We all know that Obama hates private sector companies. I honestly am surprised he doesn’t just admit that he is a gay socialist and get it over with.

The fact he felt compelled to make the kind of job we all get right out of college into a corner office with secretary, staff, and importance is the most telling aspect of the thing. He was not meeting with movers and shakers in international business, he was a low-level analyst about two steps above an intern. Obama comes off as cold and aloof and to admit that he had crappy jobs as he was starting out would come off as a lot more genuine than this whole idea that influential individuals in international finance were hanging on his every word. And that he gave it all up because he didn’t want to be a captain of industry but something more pure like a community agitator. Of course, we all know enough about Obama to know that if his delusions of being a powerful part of the private sector, he’d never have looked back.

This is why I think his hatred of Romney is more than partisan. Mitt Romney and Barak Obama both had privileged upbringings. Where Obama got into Ivy League schools on the quota system, Romney got through Harvard on accomplishment. Where Obama glorified his year at B.I., Bain Consulting created Bain Capital to keep Romney part of their organization (he really was that much a genius in business). Where Romney saved the Salt Lake City Olympiad, not even a last minute taxpayer funded rush to Europe with Oprah in tow was able to deliver the Olympics to Chicago. In short Romney has led the life that Obama has always wanted but always fell short of achieving by his own accomplishment, intelligence, and merit.

Happy Nomad on July 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Preferred to go home to whiskey and cigarettes.

Del Dolemonte on July 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM

So she was not all bad, eh?

VegasRick on July 28, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I had my own office, my own secretary, money in the bank,’
It was a bit of a sweatshop…
Yep, sure sounds like a sweatshop to me.
BDavis on July 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM

He had one other job (it lasted a week) working for a moving company, after which he was an expert on private sector activities. That too was described as a “sweatshop”.

Buy Danish on July 28, 2012 at 6:21 PM

A younger Obama considered his first employer, “the enemy”

…and after all this time… nothing has changed from the guy who ran on hope and change

KOOLAID2 on July 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM

What barack hated was working.

Rational Thought on July 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM

He still does

Rio Linda Refugee on July 28, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I would consider working for the government to be “working behind enemy lines”. I’d not last there long though, I’ve dealt with (when working for an IT company that supplied the state) WV state government IT personnel. They are the dregs, the lazy, inept bottom of the barrel. I’d stand out too much if I worked there because I’m actually amongst the best and have a great work ethic.

wildcat72 on July 28, 2012 at 6:29 PM

This is why I think his hatred of Romney is more than partisan.

Happy Nomad on July 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I have also begun to think Obama’s apparent intense dislike of Romney is personal. His attacks and his rhetoric have a visceral personal dimension to them.

Romney — the way he lives his life, his jobs and work in the private sector, his accomplishments, his success, his wealth, his background, etc. — represents everything Obama hates about America. Romney is “the enemy” not only as a competitor for the office of President, but in almost every way. And I bet Moooochelle’s mouth drips venom on the topic of Anne Romney.

farsighted on July 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Just how does he view business owners and capitalists in general?

As a Marxist, this is how he views them:

With Marxism-Leninism guiding our actions, the Communist Party strives to build the broadest unity against global capitalist imperialism now headed by U.S. imperialism…

Here’s a quote from a speech Obama gave over 5 years ago… June 23, 2007:

But my journey is part of a larger journey- one shared by all who’ve ever sought to apply the values of their faith to our society. It’s a journey that takes us back to our nation’s founding, when none other than a UCC church inspired the Boston Tea Party and helped bring an Empire to its knees.

Obama has a Marxist view of the American Revolution. Our Founders were NOT trying to bring the British Empire to its knees!

The Rev. Dr. John Witherspoon (a signer of the Declaration of Independence) said this about the American Revolution:

there was not the most distant thought of subverting the government or of hurting the interest of the people of Great Britain

Barack Obama is completely off-base to think or suggest that our Founders were motivated by a desire to “bring an Empire to its knees”.

But you know who IS all about bringing an Empire, specifically the American Empire, to its knees?

Our country’s founding Revolution exalted the ideals of equality, justice, and democracy, of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for all. Marxists have long hailed its progressive significance

Founded in Chicago in 1919, the Communist Party of the United States has an outstanding history in the struggles for peace, democratic rights, racial and gender equality, economic justice, union organization, and international solidarity. Our Party is organized on the principle of democratic centralism, combining maximum democratic discussion and decision-making with maximum unity of will and action, ensuring our ability to play a strong organizing role in the class struggle. We focus our efforts on increasing our ability to organize millions into struggle, fighting anti-communism as a divisive weapon of the capitalist class. With Marxism-Leninism guiding our actions, the Communist Party strives to build the broadest unity against global capitalist imperialism now headed by U.S. imperialism, for immediate gains and reforms that benefit working people, and for a progressive democratization of the government, the economy, and society of our country on the road to and after winning socialism.

- CONSTITUTION OF THE COMMUNIST PARTY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

ITguy on July 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Happy Nomad on July 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I had never thought of it this way before, but include the boy king’s narcissism, and by golly I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.

Flora Duh on July 28, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Flora Duh on July 28, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Plus Mitt’s wife, Ann Romney, is pretty, polite and classy.

VegasRick on July 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM

He’s the kind of sullen employee that would be poison around the water cooler.

itsspideyman on July 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Obaka’s mask didn’t just slip. It flew off of his face, fell onto the floor and burst into flames.

Goodbye Obama. Your tenure is finished. If there was one good thing you did, it was to expose your party as Communist.

Well done.

Good riddance.

Key West Reader on July 28, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Plus Mitt’s wife, Ann Romney, is pretty, polite and classy.

VegasRick on July 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM

The Romneys will restore America’s Dignity.

Key West Reader on July 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM

The Romneys will restore America’s Dignity.

Key West Reader on July 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I believe that you are correct.

VegasRick on July 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM

The Romneys will restore America’s Dignity.

Key West Reader on July 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I believe that you are correct.

VegasRick on July 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Note the distinction.

The Romney’s at the Olympics

Mrs. Obama at the Olympics

Flora Duh on July 28, 2012 at 7:10 PM

They can’t find one person that went to school with him?

They can’t find one person that he “taught”?

They can’t find one single member of the Choom game to tell us about Obama?

Seriously?

Wagthatdog on July 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM

There surely are a few, but I expect that they have nothing good to say so they stay quiet. If they were to speak up they would have businesses boycotted, fingers bitten off, IRS audits, a gang of SEIU goons on the lawn, etc, etc.

slickwillie2001 on July 28, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Note the distinction.

The Romney’s at the Olympics

Mrs. Obama at the Olympics

Flora Duh on July 28, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Well done, my friend.

Key West Reader on July 28, 2012 at 7:13 PM

farsighted on July 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I don’t say this in a glib way but the Romneys are the exact opposite of the Obamas.

The Romneys have a complete relationship that started in high school. They built their success throughout their marriage. Ann Romney’s story of putting carpet samples together to make a rug in their first apartment as students at BYU is a clear contrast to Obama’s claim that tycoons were consulting him in his first job after getting an undergraduate degree.

Obama met Mooch during a summer job in Chicago while at still attending law school when she was on the partner track and making much more money. It clearly is a marriage of mutual convenience by which I mean that they both saw ways of getting ahead in their mutual alliance. They are a political couple while the Romneys are not. They mention or put their kids on display when politically convenient while the Romneys are more private about their family and have always been so.

All of this merely goes to character.

Happy Nomad on July 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 28, 2012 at 7:10 PM

That’s how they handle potential political “problems” and embarrassments in Chicago, when they cannot buy them off.

And they are adept at using past associations, indiscretions, and personal embarrassments on their opponents. Just ask Jack Ryan. So, of course, they are sure to cover their own bases.

farsighted on July 28, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Imagine how he’s going to feel about his current employer after he’s fired.

de rigueur on July 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Think of this azz on the night of Nov. 6, along with thinking of Tomasky and his Obama-azz-licking crew.

Schadenfreude on July 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM

..this is what I want it to be like!

The War Planner on July 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM

All of this merely goes to character.

Happy Nomad on July 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Someone has a very good sense of people, Bravo sir.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM

The Romney’s at the Olympics

Mrs. Obama at the Olympics

Flora Duh on July 28, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I won’t go into the many comments I have about the insipidness of NBC’s coverage of the opening ceremonies. What I will say is that when Team USA passed by, the cameras caught the Romneys but I never saw a single shot of Mooch.

Happy Nomad on July 28, 2012 at 7:23 PM

All of this merely goes to character.

Happy Nomad on July 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Mooch either lost or surrendered her license to practice in 1993. I liken this to John Kerry (who served in Vietnam) throwing his purple heart medal onto the lawn of the White House during the turbulent time of the 1960′s. Eff Da Man.

/This is NOT your daddy’s Democrat party. They are full metal commies and I wouldn’t underestimate them.

Key West Reader on July 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Obama met Mooch during a summer job in Chicago..

Happy Nomad on July 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM

..talk about a Saturday with nothing to do (and I ain’t gonna be watching the Olympics), I just realized that “Mooch” backwards almost spells “Choom”.

*sigh*

Well, I gotta get back to cleaning out the septic tank!

The War Planner on July 28, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Happy Nomad on July 28, 2012 at 7:23 PM

..Lucky you!

;-)

The War Planner on July 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM

This story isn’t new to HotAir. It might be new to Jazz, but this very same stack of lies about him having a secretary, an office, and dealing directly with high-end multinational businessmen as a consultant was out during the 2008 primary season. It was among the first set of lies exposed about his narcissistically misremembered past, and should have warned everyone against voting for someone like him.

Ahh, but the progs, they love themselves some “fake but accurate”, even if the truth of the story is really “fake but delusional”.

Let Romney campaign needs to bring out all of the “composite”, “constructed”, “representative” memories from his books, letters and interviews, and run them wall-to-wall with the big lies of the present, and show that this Resident has no acquaintance with the truth.

Freelancer on July 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM

The absolute laziest wanker ever elected in American politics…

karra on July 28, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Yes, but it takes much less effort to destroy than it does to build. Case in point: the twin towers took years to build and hours to reduce to rubble, and the destroyers of the towers barely knew how to fly the planes they used as weapons. Obama doesn’t seem to know much about business, the economy, the Constitution, and America, but he doesn’t need to when his aim is to harm those things.

86 on July 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Freelancer on July 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM

As a former business owner I would not waste my advert dollars on proving what is already known.

Brietbart’s team is going to uncover the Khalidi tapes in October.

In the interim, I’d pay close attention to the outflow of money from the obaka campaign to groups like AARP who are in close partnership with The Hartford Insurance company.

Key West Reader on July 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Tommy Flanagan, Liar-in-Chief. This nation elected the enemy.

Philly on July 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM

MJBrutus on July 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Tremendous commentary, and right on point. My extended family can’t understand why I break my back, figuratively speaking, to earn my way through life when I could mooch off others. When I tell them I value my self respect too much to do that, they look at me like I’m crazy.

El Salsero on July 28, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Did the White House get caught in yet another lie. Winstongate.

Philly on July 28, 2012 at 8:04 PM

We have elected the enemy.

h/t to radio host, Jim Quinn.

TugboatPhil on July 28, 2012 at 9:41 PM

This is why I think his hatred of Romney is more than partisan.

Happy Nomad on July 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM

That makes sense. Everything always seems so personal to him. Remember when Sarah Palin said, “The American presidency is not supposed to be a journey of personal discovery”? I’m more inclined to think it’s been a journey of personal revenge.

INC on July 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Did the White House get caught in yet another lie. Winstongate.

Philly on July 28, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Without any doubt, yes they were caught in a lie. Fox News covered this thoroughly in Friday’s 6pm show.

slickwillie2001 on July 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Key West Reader on July 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Hey, KWM, I caught your comments last week. Hugs to you and prayers for you in the tough times.

INC on July 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Everyone is missing that he was reviewing other countries economies…. he had to have completely sucked at that job.

I don’t excuse his lying about his first job. He is and always will be full of crap.

aniptofar on July 28, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Mrs. Obama at the Olympics

Flora Duh on July 28, 2012 at 7:10 PM

…she has that—”there’s THAT FLAG AGAIN look!”

KOOLAID2 on July 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM

They can’t find one person that went to school with him?

They can’t find one person that he “taught”?

They can’t find one single member of the Choom game to tell us about Obama?

Seriously?

Wagthatdog on July 28, 2012 at 4:44 P

M

listens2glenn on July 28, 2012 at 5:55 PM

The likely answer is he and his “friends” were all stoners, and nobody remembers anything from those years.

Dasher on July 28, 2012 at 10:53 PM

” ‘I had my own office, my own secretary, money in the bank,’ he wrote.”

“Obama’s office was the size of a cubicle, barely large enough to fit a desk, and faced an interior hallway; he had no secretary”

If this were just some average Joe, I would pity him. What a sad sack. Almost like Joseph K., or even K., from Kafka.

notropis on July 28, 2012 at 11:13 PM

He considered his first employer the enemy?

Well, he is now the servant of the people and his policies clearly evidence an unchanged attitude toward employers.

M240H on July 28, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Our Liar-in-Chief must be dispatched. He is the biggest threat to our nation in the history of our republic. The man is pure evil – and I mean tha seriously and literally.

bob77 on July 29, 2012 at 12:34 AM

I read about this BI job awhile ago. Jack Cashill discusses it in Deconstructing Obama, and yes, I do believe it is indicative of Obama’s disdain for capitalism and free markets.

stukinIL4now on July 29, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Shocka!

KMC1 on July 29, 2012 at 2:00 AM

If you expand this mentality of his to a global level you can see where the progressives are pushing the world through the UN. Same ideology, same tactics, all failures.

Time to flush the toilet.

Wolfmoon on July 29, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Not surprising.. My first boss was a bigger jerk than you can imagine, but he was there long, and my first job which I had from the day I turned 16 till I left for basic,.. taught me many useful skills..

Never give less than 100%..
Never let down the customer, he pays your salary..
Never be disrespectful to a customer
Never let down your co-workers and pull your weight..
Never be late.. or leave early..
Never miss a chance to make your customer your friend..

Always smile, your bad day shouldn’t be someone else’s.
Always take people one at a time, never prejudge..
Always take pride in your appearance..
Always do your best work, for your own self respect..

There were others.. all served me well both in the Air Force, and in private life.. I never hated my boss, didn’t like a few of them, but you can’t always work for a nice guy.. I never hated any for merely being the boss, there were personality issues.. but it didn’t matter much, it wasn’t a club, you worked hard for an honest wage, and that was a two way deal, he got your best, and paid you accordingly, or you moved on… I did get incentive pay a few times.. for putting in extra effort..

The payoff came years later.. as I was on light duty they made me a cashier,.. spine injuries, advanced osteoarthritis of the spine.. then a new set of broken vertebrae.. crushed discs.. 8 in all, 4 were removed, I still have four.. and I see a surgeon again, next month.. sigh..

The pay off, was the loyalty and friendships from serving the public for so long.. I was always touched by the caring people showed.. young people, went out of their way to lift things for me.. customers helped when they didn’t have too.. I was offered best wishes.. people asked about my family, my children, I had their picture at my work station.. They took an interest in me, and they made my life just a bit easier, when they didn’t have too. Young people especially, kids.. 17.. 18 years old called me sir.. asked me my opinion about enlisting.. good youngsters.. They aren’t the slackers so many think they are.. maybe some.. but not most..

Then when I couldn’t work anymore.. they would stop me while shopping, asking about my wife and kids.. I was a grocer, a humble profession, trade.. but I learned to take pleasure in making folks smile, I was at peace with my trade.. leaving the harsh pride of an airman who secured nukes behind me, content that I may not be doing anything vital anymore, but something basic,.. necessary. Taking pride in doing it well. Making folks glad to see me when they came in, instead of .. well you know the type.. the employee who you’d rather not deal with.. I never wanted to be that guy.. and I don’t think I was..

I miss work..

So many tell me, they envy me, but they shouldn’t.. yes, I got SSD on the first application, the damage was that bad,.. but I’m not talking about the injuries.. I mean, I get up everyday, and do what chores I can, but I miss working, miss meeting folks everyday. You never think you’ll miss it, but a man doesn’t always see how much his self respect is wrapped up in what he does, what he produces, what he brings home.. my wife, friends tell me I earned this, but I still miss the work.. I always thought I would work till I died.. never expected to have done something dumb and gotten myself put on the injured list..

I wonder if most folks feel like this.. if they miss working when they can’t any more..I keep hoping, that after the kids graduate, I’ll see if the VA can help me get some college.. then, maybe, I could work, a little, again.. that’s my goal.. a small ambition, maybe,.. I can’t unload trucks.. but maybe.. teach.. I always liked being the training supervisor at work, enjoyed passing on the trade, the small pieces that mattered..

someday.. but the kids will be carrying the books I’m afraid..

someday.

mark81150 on July 29, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Sorry for going kinda off topic, but .. it’s that kind of night, missed taking the meds on time, and it’s hurting now, till they kick in..

I’ll not stray again, apologies.

mark81150 on July 29, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Barack Hussein Obama….the laziest man to ever hold the ffice of POTUS.

Bevan on July 29, 2012 at 6:50 AM

mark81150 on July 29, 2012 at 3:12 AM

None needed!

You are in company as while I have physical strength left, there are but a few hours a day that I can actually apply it, and some days are a dead loss in a complete haze physically and mentally. Fighting to get just those few hours took years. Fighting through that haze showed the true depth and horror that had beset my Nation and that fighting to get back to any capability was worth the effort. Out of that land of neither light nor dark, of lassitude and where the solidity of reality begins to flow and melt, I stood next to our Republic and vowed not to let the sands disappear beneath my feet.

I am not disabled or ‘differently-abled’ just having chronic illnesses that make retaining life a problem… and yet I knew this would be the case once I passed into adulthood and made my preparations as soon as I could get any real job. I paid off my debts early, and now owe none. I refuse to be a burden to others and, instead, reach my hand out to those few I can reach. To do these things I must work at expanding my limited horizons and not accept them, ever, as a limit to who I am.

You are not alone.

It is a good fight to have and puts the problems ahead of us into perspective. And for that I am ever thankful.

ajacksonian on July 29, 2012 at 7:57 AM

So, once again, he lies about his office, his non-existent secretary, even the way he dressed at work. They say a compulsive liar will lie about even the smallest things because they are addicted to the lying itself. Even if he tells the truth once in a blue moon, there is no reason to believe him. What a sad, sad little man.

Xyz22 on July 29, 2012 at 9:32 AM

And wouldn’t you know it! Bummer is the enemy now.

Sherman1864 on July 29, 2012 at 9:44 AM

POTUS??
Nay!
PODUNK!

Sherman1864 on July 29, 2012 at 9:46 AM

listens2glenn on July 28, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Dasher on July 28, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Touché, Dasher.

How did I ever overlook that possibility ?

listens2glenn on July 29, 2012 at 10:00 AM

The weaker the individual, the stronger their tribal allegiance. We are going full on tribal these next few years.

BTW, anyone hear anything about the revolution happening right now in Mexico City? Didn’t think so. You will be told what to be concerned about and learn to like it. Today’s enemy is that evil puppet in the WH. If we could devise a Venn diagram of actual importance vs media inspired importance, Obama and his silly noises being made about communism would be a tiny circle that intersects a slightly larger circle of students and a separate humongous circle of banking interests. If Obama hated Israel as much as the media would like you to believe, why did he make his closest confidant the son of an Irgun fighter? Obama is a distraction, nothing more.

pc on July 29, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I’ve completely changed my opinion of JFK. He was a dog that got off the leash and took a severe whipping for it. I know why I was being conditioned by the media, as a conservative, to hate his guts. Well played boys. You almost had me. He was the closest we had to an independent president in the last 60 years.

pc on July 29, 2012 at 10:34 AM

A younger Obama considered his first employer, “the enemy”

What I would give to see this guy’s school t5anscrpts-but grades would only scratch the surface-his essays, term papers, dissertations scathingly abusive4 of America and everything it stands for and probably written at an eight grade level of competence (in graduate school).

MaiDee on July 29, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Where the f— does Obama think money comes from? Those “evil, profit-making corporations” are the ones who donate huge sums of money to schools like Harvard and Columbia, to make those schools like Harvard and Columbia. Those are the people who enable him to eat $100/lb steak, to fly on Air Force One, to have a Blackberry and nice clothes and stretch limos. For those are the people who generate wealth and prosperity, some of which is taken in taxes to fund the government, some of which is kept, and much of which is often given to charity.

Roxeanne de Luca on July 29, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Obama keeps saying he has been quoted out of context, but the problem is that the larger the context you look at the more accurate the criticisms are.

eMatters on July 30, 2012 at 8:44 AM

“The humanists are firmly convinced that existing acquisitive and profit-motivated society has shown itself to be inadequate and that a radical change in methods, controls, and motives must be instituted. A socialized and cooperative economic order must be established to the end that the equitable distribution of the means of life be possible. The goal of humanism is a free and universal society in which people voluntarily [yeah right] and intelligently cooperate for thecommon good. Humanists demand a shared life in a shared world.”

This is the 14th point in the Humanist Manifesto, which Dewey signed back in 1933.
Read Dewey’s My Pedagogic Creed from 1897.
He was a communist in his philosophy, but anti-Stalinist.
Problem is, communism is no good, no matter who is running it.
And that is Dewey’s problem.
Anti-Stalinist, but not really anti-communist.
To describe yourself as a socialist, is describe yourself as a communist.
The former LEADS to the latter. Bcs men are not perfect & there is no utopia anywhere in the universe that comprises of imperfect beings.
It can never happen.
LEt a man shape his own destiny & LEAVE HIM ALONE, either to fail or succeed.
Only a Republic in an imperfect world can do this.
And that is why America became so great.

Badger40 on July 30, 2012 at 11:41 AM

forest on July 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I have put off reading this book of lies & garbage. But perhaps I should read it.
I’ve read a lot regarding communism in this country & the former Soviet Union. It’s frightening.
And what is more frightening is that people have relegated old communists as some sort of silly bogeyman that is nothing more than a laughable old fairy tale.
The communist agenda is being sold as socialism.
And many of the same old players have just changed uniforms. But it’s still the same old thing.
Obama’s upbringing & the people he chooses to surround himself with is a web of communism.
And he got it from his mother & her parents. He has been steeped in poison.
And now he wants to spread that poison throughout the world.
And the communists are ELATED.

Badger40 on July 30, 2012 at 12:00 PM

pc on July 29, 2012 at 10:34 AM

And once that dog got a whipping, he turned into one of his handlers.
Don’t fool yourself about JFK.
While I agree, he was not a Democrat like we have today, he would most certainly have morphed into one when they put the screws on him.
He was WEAK. And he fell like a house of cards.
If JFK were alive in today’s political spectrum, he would be another Teddy.
Bobby Kennedy was a communist fighter. And assisted McCarthy in rooting out communism from the ranks of the Fed, like the State Dept.
But I believe Bobby would have caved as well.
He was young & an idealist.
But eventually, most of them fall. Bcs they like power over doing what is right.
And that is why most of the GOP is nothing but $HIT.

Badger40 on July 30, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Obama would now the truth if it kicked him in the huevos.

StevC on July 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM