A younger Obama considered his first employer, “the enemy”

posted at 1:01 pm on July 28, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

While the President continues to bristle at the notion that people should pay attention to his “You didn’t build that” comments and his supporters insists we’re reading too much into it, a look at Barack Obama’s younger self tells a different story. Just how does he view business owners and capitalists in general? One peek into the inner thought process which formed his world view can be found in a book released earlier this year by David Maraniss titled, Barack Obama: The Story. I confess I missed this one when it came out, but a friend has been reading it and pointed out some rather telling passages, particularly in light of the recent flap. But I wasn’t the only one to notice, nor the first. The Washington Examiner’s Byron York picked up on it last month.

Obama spent very little time in business, but he did have a job at a company called Business International for about a year after he graduated from Columbia University in 1983. The book contains new details about the future president’s brief stint in corporate America.

Obama was a low-level editor in Reference Services, working on reports describing economic conditions in various foreign countries. By all accounts, he disliked the work, not just because it was pedestrian and boring, but because it was in business.

“He calls it working for the enemy,” Obama’s mother, Ann, wrote after a phone conversation with her son, “because some of the reports are written for commercial firms that want to invest in [Third World] countries.”

The book goes on to point out that this information came from a letter his mother wrote to her mentor, Alice Dewey, in Honolulu. In addition to that call, Maraniss notes that the same theme was repeated in a call to this then girlfriend.

“Obama wrote a letter to his former girlfriend, Alex McNear, during that period, the last he would write to her. As in his telephone conversation with his mother, he expressed a distaste for the corporate world. He wrote Alex on Business International stationery, but crossed out the logo on the envelope and scribbled in his own address on West 114th Street.”

But wait… the book has a few other goodies. While it’s true that Obama did work briefly at B.I. and mentions it in his memoir, Dreams From My Father, his description of his position there was, shall we say, a case of taking a bit of literary license at best. (Taken from page 484 of the hardcover version of Barack Obama: The Story.)

“In his book Obama described B.I. as a ‘consulting house’ to multinational corporations. ‘I had my own office, my own secretary, money in the bank,’ he wrote. ‘Sometimes, coming out of an interview with Japanese financiers or German bond traders, I would catch my reflection in the elevator doors – see myself in a suit and tie, a briefcase in my hand – and for a split second, I would imagine myself as a captain of industry, barking out orders, closing the deal, before I remembered who it was that I wanted to be and felt pangs of guilt for my lack of resolve.’ It was an exaggeration to define B.I. as a consulting house. One of his former colleagues described it as ‘a small company that published newsletters on international business. . . . It was a bit of a sweatshop. . . . Sure we all wished we were high-priced consultants to internationals.’ Another called it ‘high school with ashtrays.’ Obama’s office was the size of a cubicle, barely large enough to fit a desk, and faced an interior hallway; he had no secretary, and the dress code was informal; people in his position rarely if ever wore suits. ‘He dressed like a college kid,’ said Lou Celi, who had an image in his mind’s eye of Obama coming to work now and then in white pants. One colleague remembered Obama wearing the same dark pants, nondescript shirt, and narrow tie day after day, like a uniform.”

None of this is illegal, of course, nor even immoral. But it does provide a yet another look into the formative process that the President went through as a young man, which certainly speaks to his opinions later in life. Is it really such a stretch to assert that he’s not exactly a fan of private business and capitalism? B.I. was self-described as a firm with a goal, “to advance profitable corporate and economic growth in socially desirable ways.” And this is the company which, after giving the young Obama a job, he described as, “The Enemy.”

I’ll leave it to you to make the call. Then again, I’m a well known trouble maker so I’m probably reading too much into this too, right?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Considers this employer the enemy also it would seem.

Bmore on July 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Lies, lies, more lies.

He’s the enemy now.

This is just my opinion.

tru2tx on July 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Bmore, you are so right. He hates the American people.

This needs to be distributed to all you know, on-going, from now until Nov. 6. It explains what I always say, the the leftists hate women, minorities, men, people, children, all for power only.

Schadenfreude on July 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Imagine how he’s going to feel about his current employer after he’s fired.

de rigueur on July 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

that the leftists…

Schadenfreude on July 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Imagine how he’s going to feel about his current employer after he’s fired.

de rigueur on July 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Think of this azz on the night of Nov. 6, along with thinking of Tomasky and his Obama-azz-licking crew.

Schadenfreude on July 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Obama’s job description in his books must have been an amalgamation of his ego.

pat on July 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM

A younger Obama considered his first employer, “the enemy”

Ok, so, is their anyone that Obama doesn’t consider an enemy? Because he certainly does seem to consider nearly all Americans his enemies.

Happy Birthday Thad.

SWalker on July 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Imagine how he’s going to feel about his current employer after he’s fired.

de rigueur on July 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

He can hate us more than he already does????

SWalker on July 28, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Obama had a job? He actually had a job?

sharrukin on July 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM

One has to wonder, has bho ever said one truthful thing in his life? Even in ‘his’ books he lies like a rug! I have a real hard time believing anything bho has or is saying? NO, I take that back, I DO NOT believe one word out of bho’s lying mouth!
L

letget on July 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM

pat on July 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM

its his way of justifying sucking on the public teat his whole life. he can say “sure, i was on the fasttrack to success in the private sector but i wanted to help people” and point to his stories in his book as proof. but only the weak minded believe he was ever more than a glorified copy boy. and when he realized that to succeed in the private sector would take hard work he ran off to community organizing.

chasdal on July 28, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Courtesy of Key West Reader

Schadenfreude on July 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM

How did this guy get to be president? How? How? and How?

SparkPlug on July 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Send him packing

Schadenfreude on July 28, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Isn’t the proper term…

SELL’N OUT TO DA MAN

President Douche

roflmao

donabernathy on July 28, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Courtesy of Key West Reader

Schadenfreude on July 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I don’t need a messiah, already have a REAL one…

SWalker on July 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM

guaranteed troll free thread™

tom daschle concerned on July 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM

From a piece in 2008 also from Byron York:

“When classmates in college asked me just what it was that a community organizer did, I couldn’t answer them directly,” Obama wrote in his memoir, Dreams from My Father. “Instead, I’d pronounce on the need for change. Change in the White House, where Reagan and his minions were carrying on their dirty deeds.”

lynncgb on July 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Barack Obama – fake but accurate.

GarandFan on July 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Obviously taken out of context. :-)

coldwarrior on July 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Rove Jazz Shaw, you magnificent bastard.

Heh.

hillbillyjim on July 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM

The takeaway here is not the reference of enemy. But that he’s a pathological liar.

Or is this another compression?

Cubical, corner office. What’s the diff?

kevinkristy on July 28, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Private companies investing in the Third World actually works a whole lot better than government pouring money into the private coffers of foreign heads of state.

coldwarrior on July 28, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Nothing has changed.

WE are his employer now… and he frequently describes us as ‘the enemy’.

As a matter of fact, I recall a speech he made to a certain Latino group in which he exhorted them to ‘punish our enemies’.

I can’t wait to relieve him of the burden of working for ‘the enemy’.

ROMNEY 2012

thatsafactjack on July 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

He’s considered his present employer (the American people) his enemy too, from what I see….

Don L on July 28, 2012 at 1:31 PM

None of this is illegal, of course, nor even immoral.

He’s lying. It’s immoral.

forest on July 28, 2012 at 1:31 PM

“Sometimes, coming out of an interview with Japanese financiers or German bond traders[....]“

What Japanese financiers or German bond traders would ever give the time of day to some 23- or 24-year-old empty-eyed snotnose?

86 on July 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Self-aggrandizing little pr!ck…

Pest on July 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I seem to remember that there were other passages in his books “[Dope] Dreams from my Father”, where he actually referred to his work in the corporate world as “being behind enemy lines”

Ah, here it is: Spy behind enemy lines

AZfederalist on July 28, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Pest on July 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM

’nuff said

cmsinaz on July 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Let’s face it, Obama never grew up. He is a man-child with man-child notions. I was personally an Obama-like twit 20 years ago, but I grew up.

NotCoach on July 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM

How did this guy get to be president? How? How? and How?

SparkPlug on July 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM

You know who conspiring to manipulate the US in the run up to dealing with Iranian nuclear ambitions. They’ve conspired since Nixon’s hasty dispatch and Clinton’s visit by a fat, eager angel. Kennedy probably fell for similar reasons. Religious pride and London banks.

pc on July 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM

It is a darn shame that absolutely none of this information was made available or discovered by the hard-working Fourth Estate back in 2007-2008…and they were just working their butts off trying to properly vet this candidate so all the American people would know who he was and for what he stood.

But, the MSM tried, they tell us, tried hard to check every nook and cranny to make sure we all knew who was Barrack Obama.

They tried.

Right?

coldwarrior on July 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Is this even news? He described this stint – his only – in the private sector as “being a spy behind enemy lines” in one of his own books.

Alexis on July 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM

The problem with Obama continues to be the 52% of nimrods that elected him.

tom daschle concerned on July 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM

AZfederalist on July 28, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Exactly.

Alexis on July 28, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I had my own office, my own secretary, money in the bank,’
Well things haven’t changed have they? The oval office, jarrett as secretary, and taxpayers provided money in the bank?

This hasn’t change either, moms jeans, shirt without a tie, the same old purple seiu tie on, and the same suit with him flopping his hands coming down the stairs off AF1?
L

letget on July 28, 2012 at 1:39 PM

It is a darn shame that absolutely none of this so much information was made available or discovered by the hard-working Fourth Estate back in 2007-2008…and they were just working their butts off trying to properly vet this candidate so all the American people would know who he she was and for what he she stood.

But, the MSM tried, they tell us, tried hard to check every nook and cranny to make sure we all knew who was Barrack Obama Sarah Palin.

They tried. succeeded in destroying her so the unvetted BHO could ascend to the office

Right?

coldwarrior on July 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM

What really happened.

AZfederalist on July 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I used to get that kind of crap from brokers in the mail, pre-internet days. They were clipped articles taped to pieces of paper and then xeroxed. Little Bammie’s principal work tool was likely a pair of scissors.

slickwillie2001 on July 28, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Well, you must be doing something right.

Over there you are a trouble maker. To the tru-cons here you are a RINO.

I still like you, even with the hat and yankee accent.

cozmo on July 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Little Bammie’s principal work tool was likely a pair of scissors.

slickwillie2001 on July 28, 2012 at 1:41 PM

And the senior partner in the firm had to constantly tell Lil’ Barry, “Barry, stop running with scissors!!!”

Followed by, “OK, who ate all the paste??!!!”

coldwarrior on July 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM

pc on July 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Please set a clock or something. You need to take your meds on time for them to be effective.

hillbillyjim on July 28, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Baraka sounds like the kind of employee I’d fire before the 90-day probation period was up.

Cicero43 on July 28, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Cicero43 on July 28, 2012 at 1:47 PM

We really need to look at that option for our national leaders.

coldwarrior on July 28, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Looking at my previous life, being born in a foreign Socialist country, I can only admire the immense lies of this infantile charlatan in the White House. What a total clown, but a dangerous murderous clown, intent on murdering the American economy with his Socialist policies.

electricfunksandwich on July 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Obama considered his first employer, “the enemy”

There it is, on paper and penned by his own hand under his own name. To him private enterprise and capitalism are the enemy. His mindset is not merely un-American, in the sense of being agnostic about the values and institutions of this country. It is hostile and adversarial. Not just un-American, but anti-American also.

If we in the private sector are the enemy to him, then (whether we realize it or not) he is the enemy to us.

…………

Thanks, Jazz. This needs to be kept front and center now to November.

petefrt on July 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Heh

Schadenfreude on July 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM

The lickspittle MSM should never be allowed to forget about this. May they all fall into bankruptcy.

Cicero43 on July 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Imagine, a blogger reporting on something the president actually said. I guess that speech was just for his far left base and out of bounds for the rest of us. I wonder what the minute to minute time line was of the Romney haircut in high school story was?
BTW, well done Jazz!!

tj4osu on July 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM

hell, he considers his current employer the enemy.

/that’d be us.

ted c on July 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Funny. I always thought of him, in those days, with a black bowtie, myself.

Cleombrotus on July 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM

How did this guy get to be president? How? How? and How?

SparkPlug on July 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM

We, the American people, didn’t interview him properly. Americans need to think about it that way. We are hiring someone for the most important job in the country. And our politicians need to start realizing that they are applying for a job as a public servant.
In the private sector, Obama’s resume wouldn’t have gotten past the first round. It would have been tossed. We can’t count on biased moderators to interview our candidates for us or for biased media to provide references. We need a better system.
BTW, why is it that no one has ever interviewed one of Obama’s past co-workers, teachers, supervisors, fellow students? Why hasn’s someone who knew him when he was younger come forward with any information about him? It’s almost like a huge conspiracy.

hopeful on July 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Speaking of Obama’s policy towards national enemies:
company Scraps Plans To Build 5 Medical Devices Factories Because of Obamacare Taxes on Same:

Outsourcing to China.

pat on July 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM

The fools that voted for this political impostor will not come in droves as they did in 2008. He will lose, and lose dramatically.

electricfunksandwich on July 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I worked for BI briefly. I used to call up risk managers at our client companies. It’s conceivable that somebody somewhere at BI was regularly talking to Japanese financiers and German bond traders, but not likely — certainly not at Obama’s level, which sounds more like a copy editing gig.

What drives me bonkers is that we now know that Obama was elected on vapors. He had no experience doing anything, so everything was about the “dream.” That dream now turns out to have been mostly fabrication.

And this provokes no contemplation, let alone outrage, in any major media outlet. It’s not surprising, but it still is sickening.

bobs1196 on July 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Heh

Schadenfreude on July 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Oh, they know; they just won’t admit to the glory and power of “Goddamn America!”

hillbillyjim on July 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Ah, here it is: Spy behind enemy lines

AZfederalist on July 28, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Yup.

petefrt on July 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM

How did this guy get to be president? How? How? and How?

SparkPlug on July 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Almost 50% of the populace on some sort of government assistance.

Explains it, right there.

First clue: Barack Hussein Obama
He belongs in Kenya in a thatched hut.

fogw on July 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM

He’d have to kick his half-brother out.

98ZJUSMC on July 28, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Is there any chance AT ALL that he’ll move come January 2013? To a country more in tune with his belief system? Venezuala? Cuba? Belarus?

vityas on July 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM

What I’d like to know is, if BI was his first employer, did he ever have a second business employer?

Or was it all rabble rousing, academia, and politics from here on?

INC on July 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM

All civilized people and societies are the enemy to the Ineligible Imbecile from Indonesia. He hates the whole West and everything about it.

As to the book, those are the black-faced empathetic musings of the Fresh Prince of Bill Ayers, not Barky … who couldn’t write his way out of a wet paper bag. Anyone remember that laughably idiotic and nearly unreadable op-ed the Dog-Eater wrote for the WaPo, IIRC, some time in the first few months of his illegitimate and America-killing occupooping of the White House? It would have gotten a solid B+ … for a 6th grader.

Barky is an enemy of all sentient beings. Obviously. He is, at best, stagnation embodied, and generally more oriented towards the insane drive to destroy those things he can’t understand (which is just about everything that involves numbers over 20) and is jealous that others have created.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM

How did this guy get to be president? How? How? and How?

SparkPlug on July 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Hey! A good Con Man never gives away his secrets.

BlaxPac on July 28, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Not heard this name before. Anyone here done any research on her?

I did find this.

What a shock. She’s a lifelong academic, and today after 50 years of suckling at the public teat she’s still teaching at the University of Hawai’i.

Two interesting things from her “resume” at the link: She’s had a lifelong fascination with “peasants”, and never she learned how to spell “Radcliffe”.

Del Dolemonte on July 28, 2012 at 1:57 PM

He considers the people of the USA his subjects.

Schadenfreude on July 28, 2012 at 1:58 PM

guaranteed troll free thread™

tom daschle concerned on July 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Be patient.

Del Dolemonte on July 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM

If one is twenty-something, fresh out of uber-leftist grad school, and have uber-liberal agitprop awash in your gray matter agitating you to ‘stick it to the man’, that could be understandable from a responsible adult’s point of view.

But if you’re 50-something, a successful, published academic who’s now a high powered politician in the most powerful position in the world, and still chop wood for a soviet style politi-bureau to micro-manage every aspect of society because of your visceral hatred of all things free market, then you’re is simply a dangerous tool.

locomotivebreath1901 on July 28, 2012 at 2:00 PM

coldwarrior on July 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM

+100

That was funny

AZfederalist on July 28, 2012 at 2:00 PM

FACT: the lunatic-left d-cRAT socialists DO NOT WANT the unemployed (which their FAILED POLICIES HELPED CREATE) to have REAL, capitalist-created jobs – because then they would be “dependent” on the “evil” private sector and, Allah forbid!, themselves, instead of being dependent on BIG GOVERNMENT handouts through “wealth and income re-distribution”– and these mental defectives actually believe that would be a BAD THING !

TeaPartyNation on July 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

vityas on July 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM

?? I thought Belarus was relatively free?

AZfederalist on July 28, 2012 at 2:04 PM

“You’re all racists” — Charles Blow and his cohort

Schadenfreude on July 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 28, 2012 at 1:57 PM

That is very important and explains a lot. I’m so glad you caught that. This is from Wiki.

Dewey was born in 1928 to Sabino L. Dewey and Edith Elizabeth Greeley. Her father was born in Italy as Sabino Piro Levis and was adopted as a child by the philosopher John Dewey and his wife Alice….

She served as the dissertation adviser for many doctoral students, most notably Barack Obama’s mother Ann Dunham,

The other day I said that if John Dewey had a son he would think and act like Obama. I didn’t know the Dewey-Obama link was so strong. Hold on and I’ll get my link and info on John Dewey.

INC on July 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Ah, here it is: Spy behind enemy lines

AZfederalist on July 28, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Alexis on July 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Exactly again. This is no revelation, except in the form of its most recent retelling. I remember hearing about this four years ago.

The thing I can’t get is why Team Romney hasn’t added this to an ad showing Obama’s lifelong contempt for American free enterprise. He’s wanted to “transform” the country for more than 30 years.

OT: I encourage all to read the Charles Murray column in today’s WSJ.

BuckeyeSam on July 28, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Is it bad to invest in Third World countries?

Dr Evil on July 28, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Obama has a history of stealing from his employers dating back to 1983. The Romney’s had better do a complete inventory of the White House on Nov. 7th.

Left Coast Right Mind on July 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

vityas on July 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Depends on the quality of beaches, food, and golf courses. The important things in life.

Which countries will be in the competition for the site of his presidential liebarry?

slickwillie2001 on July 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

“He calls it working for the enemy,” Obama’s mother, Ann Stanley, wrote after a phone conversation with her son,

I’m sure Barky wasn’t doing any work but was generating work for others in cleaning whatever he messed up on any given day.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM

vityas on July 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Barky needs to be donning an orange jumpsuit once he’s finally removed from the White House. Without that punishment of his crimes America will have no chance to be restored. Such abuse and criminality at the highest levels cannot just be forgotten if this nation wants to fix any of the myriad things the Indonesian Dog-Eater has perverted and broken.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 28, 2012 at 2:13 PM

vityas on July 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I am more concerned with Obama deciding not to move from the White House until all the litigation is complete. You know he is going to direct Holder to freeze all election results if he loses, claiming voter suppression or voter intimidation by the GOP.

And, what about Michelle? Think she is going to go quietly into that good night?

Not a chance.

They live in government housing…you all know how difficult it is trying to evict folks from government housing.

The Secret Service on one side, trying to protect the new incoming President and his family.

The US Marshall’s on the other side trying to forcibly remove trespassers from the White House.

Obama waiting for OWS and the SEIU to come and help him.

He said he might be a one-term president….never said how long he expected that term to last.

coldwarrior on July 28, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Most of this was known in 2008, but I’m glad to see it finally getting a wider audience. The Maraniss book still manages to hide O’s radicalism, making silly claims such as the assertion that when he took his job in Chicago he wanted to make sure it wasn’t for an organization which was too far to the left.

It’s also worth noting the Maraniss book serves to back up John Drew’s anecdote about O showing up at a party with his g.f., proselytizing about the need for full-on Marxist revolution (and idea Drew tried to dissuade him from). The girlfriend Drew described appears in Maraniss’s book, and yes, she was a Socialist.

And of course we cannot discount the influence of Frank Marshall Davis, who Dr. Paul Kengor has written about in the recently published, “The Communist”.

Buy Danish on July 28, 2012 at 2:14 PM

John Dewey was a professor at Columbia University and from there his ideas were widely disseminated. (He is not the Dewey who devised the Dewey Decimal System).

Not only did Obama go to Columbia and receive his education in the stream of thinking derived from Dewey, but now through Del Dolemonte, Obama’s mother was mentored by a woman who was Dewey’s granddaughter.

This is a brief intro to the man from NRO. If you read it, you’ll find that if Dewey had a philosophical son, he’d think and act like Obama:

John Dewey and the Philosophical Refounding of America
NR Special: The Progressives
Tiffany Jones Miller

A lot of you already know that the progressive label has quite a long history going back to the late 1800s.

It [progressivism] was initially an academic phenomenon far removed from American politics…As the progressives’ influence in the academy increased, and growing numbers of their students sallied forth into all aspects of endeavor, this intellectual transformation gradually began to reshape the broader American mind, and, in time, American political practice. “A new regime in thought,” as Eldon Eisenach writes, “began to become a new regime in power.”

While many progressive academics helped effect this philosophical transformation, few, if any, were as influential as Dewey. Through an immense and wide-ranging body of work, vigorous activism, and his many students, Dewey’s mark was deep and enduring. Part of the reason for this was that he enjoyed an unusually long and prolific academic career. In 1884, Dewey received his doctorate from Johns Hopkins University, that seedbed of progressive academia….Over the course of his subsequent half-century career, Dewey taught mainly at the University of Chicago and Columbia University, where he held appointments in both philosophy and education

Dewey arguably did more than any other reformer to repackage progressive social theory in a way that obscured just how radically its principles departed from those of the American founding.

This is from the blog of two Presbyterian pastors:

Home schoolers split over Ken Ham and Peter Enns… by Tim Bayly

My parents graduated from Wheaton College back in the forties and one of their friends went to Columbia University to get his doctorate. He reported Columbia’s faculty and grad students were committed to using government schools to foment rebellion in the home, telling of a party in celebration of John Dewey’s ninetieth birthday at which faculty and grad students discussed the utility of government schools for undermining parents’ efforts to pass their religious commitments on to their sons and daughters. Their plan was simple: they would train public school teachers to serve as front-line missionaries for the godless paganism sold to the parents of government schoolchildren as “separation of church and state.”

I’ve been working on a post about Dewey for one of my blogs, but I keep getting new info, and it’s still a work in progress.

INC on July 28, 2012 at 2:14 PM

What barack hated was working. He still does. His enemy is work. He is just a garden variety lazy grifter.

Rational Thought on July 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Obama’s ego can’t handle him being an employee and accountable to anyone. I bet the real reason he hated working for that firm is because he thought himself somehow superior to his bosses.

Liam on July 28, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I would have given my right arm for the job he had in ’83. Kept getting passed over by the AA jerks.

teacherman on July 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM

“Fresh Prince of Bill Ayers”

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM

The perfect name for BHO. LOL.

TXUS on July 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM

NO-vember 6th can’t get here soon enough…

Khun Joe on July 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Liam on July 28, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I have to respectfully disagree. Barky knows what an idiot he is. He’s seen his own board scores. He knows that he can’t do 8th grade math. He might be able to fool himself about his mangling of English (“It’s clear that we are on the precipice [retarded emphasis] of an achievement that has eluded Congresses and Presidents for generations.”) but he’s well aware that he doesn’t understand much of anything.

Barky holds a burning hate for all people who are smarter and more capable than he is, which includes roughly 80% of America, and in his third world tribalistic mindset, the reaction to such “shame” is to try to exact revenge on those whose competence and intelligence make his idiocy and ineptitude obvious.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I bet BI was damned happy to get rid of him. I know I will, but just wish his exit interview period would be less than 60 something days.

TXUS on July 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM

In my experience as the definition of ‘the enemy’ here, Barkies tend to wash out or quit.

I had someone work for one of my direct reports and he was a new graduate. He seemed nice enough but he was lazy and not willing to improve even though he was offered extensive support by his manager.

After a poor annual review he accused the manager of racial discrimination in addition to physically threatening him.

The report was accurate and had supporting documentation – he was lazy and not very competent.

As for the physical aspects – he was a 6’2″ built black man – his manager was a mousy petite 5’3″ blonde.

We had to walk it through the official HR process because that is the life. We indicated we would fight his claims because they were baseless. He dropped his case and left.

It struck us all as a bizarre and needless episode.

Despite what leftists tell you, racial, sexual, religious, and political discrimination are very much the exception to the rule in evil big business. Not because corporations are necessarily kind and good, but because it is bad business.

CorporatePiggy on July 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM

B.I. represented a holding pattern, a place where he could earn some money before moving on to his future,but it was also a convenient setting for his internal story. In what his mother characterized as ‘a rather mumbled telephone conversation’ with him over the long-distance lines between New York and Jakarta, he described his job to her. He calls it working for the enemy because some of the reports are written for commercial firms that want to invest in [Third World] countries; Ann reported in a letter to her mentor back in Honolulu, Alice Dewey. Later, when he wrote those few paragraphs about B.I. in his memoir, he repeated that idea: Like a spy behind enemy lines, I arrived every day at my mid-Manhattan office and sat at my computer terminal, checking the Reuters machine that blinked bright emerald messages from across the globe.’” (David Maraniss, Barack Obama: The Story, 2012, pp. 487-488)

An America-hating underdeveloped Utopian narcissistic teenager is president. How, oh how?

Schadenfreude on July 28, 2012 at 2:31 PM

The perfect name for BHO. LOL.

TXUS on July 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Not mine, though I wish I had thought of it. Several people came up with that in 2008. It’s a winner, for sure.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM

How did this guy get to be president? How? How? and How?

SparkPlug on July 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM

hopeful on July 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Unfortunately much information about Obama was public knowledge before the election in 2008. The fact his only real job he referred to it as working for the enemy. His Marxist up bringing. The fact that he only got elected to IL state senate by getting his opponents thrown off the ballot, He did the same, essentially, in his US Senate bid in 2004 against Jack Ryan. His history of voting present. His radical ties throughout his life and in college, all known before the election, and he is proud of them.

One plus for America is that not only is he a Marxist he is a very lazy one. If he were not so lazy his policies would have been much much worse. He doesn’t really like to work at all, so his henchmen and women do the dirty work for him. But not as much gets done fortunately for us.

Dasher on July 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Alexis on July 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Or was it all rabble rousing, academia, and politics from here on?

INC on July 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Supposedly he did also work for a private Chicago law firm for a time, but it was for only something like 18 hours a week.

Del Dolemonte on July 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Schadenfreude on July 28, 2012 at 2:31 PM

An extraordinary lack of vetting.

A historic lack of vetting.

CorporatePiggy on July 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

INC on July 28, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Good work, keep digging!

Del Dolemonte on July 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM

It was you, Fredo Jazz!

Naturally Curly on July 28, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Another thing Miller mentions about John Dewey that ties in with Obama is that she states the core of Dewey’s progressive philosophy was that “freedom [is] understood as spiritual fulfillment.” According to Dewey:

…the legislative power of government must expand in whatever ways are needed — and hence however far proves necessary — to effect a wider and deeper distribution of the resources essential to the actualization of every American’s spiritual potential. As Dewey presents it, and as subsequent political practice confirmed, this process is basically synonymous with the implementation of the positive conception of individual rights. In this new order, individuals are entitled to whatever resources they need to attain spiritual fulfillment. Because Dewey, like the progressives generally, regarded poverty as among the greatest constraints on spiritual development, a host of the new rights purported to enhance the material security of poorer Americans…

And we had Obama presenting himself as the statist messiah in 2008.

INC on July 28, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Will Obama’s secretary please step forward.

tutu on July 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Thanks! I’m excited about that Alice Dewey connection, because that link between Obama’s mother and John Dewey means Obama had a tight philosophical connection to Dewey himself from the time BHO was only about 11 years old.

INC on July 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM

‘I had my own office, my own secretary, money in the bank,’ . . .

It was a bit of a sweatshop…

Yep, sure sounds like a sweatshop to me.

BDavis on July 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM