Tapper to Jay Carney: Hey, remember in 2004 when Obama wanted to bring the country together?

posted at 9:21 pm on July 27, 2012 by Allahpundit

Give credit to Carney on this one: He doesn’t even try to engage the question. What could he possibly say? Sometimes discretion really is the better part of valor, my friends.

And yet, if you believe pollster Mark Blumenthal, the negativity hasn’t hurt O. Yet.

Has this advertising had an impact? If we compile all the individual ratings across all the national polls into HuffPost Pollster trend charts, the recent changes appear to be glacial at best.

For Romney, the chart shows a significant increase in his unfavorable rating during the Republican primary campaign, but since April that rating has remained mostly unchanged. His favorable rating did jump significantly in March and April as he became the presumptive nominee of the Republican Party. Analyses by individual pollsters concluded that most of that gain came from Republicans.

For Obama, the trend lines have moved even less, with his positive and negative ratings remaining mostly flat throughout 2012. The HuffPost Pollster chart does indicate a roughly one-point drop in Obama’s favorable rating and a roughly one-point increase in his unfavorable rating over the past month.

I thought his Bain attacks on Romney would end up driving Obama’s numbers down, but either I gave him too much credit for likability or not enough. Barring something extraordinary happening, it looks like his popularity isn’t going to move much from now until November. What does that mean for Mitt’s ad strategy going forward?

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Comments

Tapper is clearly racist

faraway on July 27, 2012 at 9:23 PM

..asking Carney to remember?…at least 3 times!

KOOLAID2 on July 27, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Carney: You’re over-expanding what he meant, reading into him.

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Give credit to Carney on this one

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 9:26 PM

We will have to just wait for when Obama’s next mask slips.

Electrongod on July 27, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I love Jake Tapper so much.

vegconservative on July 27, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Stupidability is what is killing this country.

hillsoftx on July 27, 2012 at 9:28 PM

…Jay Carney said that the middle class has been squeezed for the last decade!…how come no reporter asked him what a “decade” was?
Does Carney know how long a term is?

KOOLAID2 on July 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM

vegconservative on July 27, 2012 at 9:27 PM

ditto

cmsinaz on July 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM

“I know at least three Barak Obamas that said that in 2004″
~Jay Carney

Strike Hornet on July 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I contend there’s a seismic even San Andreas-fault disgust with Obama not being measured in these polls. It will erupt in November, and blow the MSM and pollsters away.

rrpjr on July 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Can any none drone give a single reason why Obama is likable? He’s a pathetic, petulant, whiny, man child who has an ego the size of his ears. The man is a loser!

jawkneemusic on July 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I love Jake Tapper so much.
vegconservative on July 27, 2012 at 9:27 PM

These are not the droids you are looking for.

jawkneemusic on July 27, 2012 at 9:36 PM

What does that mean for Mitt’s ad strategy going forward?

If he’s smart, it means: “Screw the polls; full steam ahead.”

hillbillyjim on July 27, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Tapper posted on his blog that BHO’s anti capitalist rant was taken out of context…

d1carter on July 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!

This twerp really needs some lessons in lying and tap dancing!!!

Jack Deth on July 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM

No job is worth sacrificing my principles. If Carney wants to be a lapdog, so be it. Quite a statement about him, don’t you think, AP?

No, AP. I refuse to, “Give credit to Carney on this one.”

There is such a thing as being TOO open-minded.

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Obama’s so-called likability is a facade. It’s simply a way to avoid the racist tag.

I like Obama personally… I just don’t like his policies. But he’s a nice guy… Did I mention he’s a nice guy?

kevinkristy on July 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Heh.

4 minutes and 30 seconds of not answering the question.

Brilliant.

Tim_CA on July 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM

….

I don’t believe Democrat Blumenthal.

He wants the negative ads to stop b/c they ARE working.

artist on July 27, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Tapper is just now recognizing Barry has lied all through his life?

bayview on July 27, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Why don’t they just replace Jay Carney with a traffic cone? Costs less, and wastes less of everyone’s time.

RBMN on July 27, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Give credit to Carney on this one: He doesn’t even try to engage the question.

I thought that is what he was paid to do.

CW on July 27, 2012 at 9:41 PM

TAPPER: that smell you are smelling is coffee… wake up and smell the coffee…

Khun Joe on July 27, 2012 at 9:42 PM

kevinkristy on July 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM

If you balk at ANY part of Obama, you are a racist.

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM

did you use “valor” in relation to Jay Carney….?

dude, wassamatta wit you?//

ted c on July 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Give credit to Carney on this one:

Allah, I give no credit to liars.

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 9:44 PM

If you want to read something that will make you puke, from the boy king’s speech in McLean, Virginia tonight.

So let me just say to all of you, in addition to thanks, we’ve got a little over a hundred days left. In that campaign in 2008, we went through a lot of ups and downs, and I tried to not make promises that I couldn’t keep. So I promised I’d end the war in Iraq — I ended it. I promised, we’d cut taxes for middle-class families — we did.

But the biggest promise I made, I said, I’m not a perfect man — Michelle can tell you that — (laughter) — and I won’t be a perfect President. But what I can promise you is that I will always tell you what I think, I’ll always tell you where I stand, and I will spend every single day fighting as hard as I know how for you. And I have kept that promise. (Applause.) I have kept that promise because I believe in you. And in you I see my own story. In your grandparents I see my grandparents. In your children I see Malia and Sasha. I know where you’ve been because that’s where I’ve been. That’s where Michelle has been. And we know what it means to struggle, but we also know what it means to receive the incredible blessings of this country.

So if you still believe in me and you’re willing to stand with me — (applause) — and keep on going, not just today, not just tomorrow, not just next week, not just next month, but for the next 105 days, and then four more years after that — (applause) — then we’ll finish what we started. We will bring this economy all the way back and more. And we’ll remind the world just why it is the United States of America is the greatest nation on Earth. (Applause.)

Flora Duh on July 27, 2012 at 9:44 PM

If Tapper keeps this up he’s going to find himself at Fox News.

LukeinNE on July 27, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Just because someone is good at lying doesn’t mean they get credit.

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Does carneys boyfriend know how ineffectual he is?

tom daschle concerned on July 27, 2012 at 9:45 PM

If Tapper keeps this up he’s going to find himself at Fox News.

LukeinNE on July 27, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Liberalism under a Conservative claim.

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Recent skewed polls and the newest Rasmussen poll would seem to disagree completely with this post.

MrX on July 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Jay Carney == slimy, afterbirth-covered fetus == lying, sniveling crapsack.

The War Planner on July 27, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I don’t recall Obama ever wanting to unite people.

tom daschle concerned on July 27, 2012 at 9:54 PM

For someone who doesn’t speak for the campaign…

… he sure got all the talking points right.

Jr. Pantload…

Seven Percent Solution on July 27, 2012 at 9:58 PM

As the Old Sarge would say: carney you are a jackwagon, little maggot……

crosshugger on July 27, 2012 at 9:59 PM

slimy, afterbirth-covered fetus == lying, sniveling crapsack.

Exactly what a liberal woman would say right after she had an abortion.

Then she goes looking for another few drinks at a bar and another guy to play with.

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Obamacare’s contraception mandate loses in Colorado court

A coalition of civil rights group has persuaded a Denver, Colo. judge that Obamacare’s preventive care coverage provides a “substantial burden” on a Colorado company’s free exercise of religion.

Judge John Kane, who was appointed by President Jimmy Carter, granted a “preliminary injunction” barring enforcement of the law against the company, pending a full trial.

Newland v. Sebelius was filed in the U.S. District Court of the District of Colorado by Hercules Industries — a private company that manufactures heating and air-conditioning products.

Preliminary injunctions are usually granted when the judge believe the plaintiff has a strong case. The judge recognized that the Obamacare mandate violates the Constitution and the 1993 Religious Freedom Restoration Act, Bowman said.

The Constitution and the law require the government to have a compelling reason for church-related regulation, and to use alternative means wherever possible, he said.

The Obamacare mandate, he added, “could easily be served by the government providing contraceptive themselves … if there was the political will.”

“This principle applies to all of those [religious freedom] cases that have been applied and will be applied.”

Resist We Much on July 27, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Does his analysis take into account polls taken after the “we didn’t build that” line? Or does that not make a difference?

earlgrey133 on July 27, 2012 at 10:11 PM

“What would that state senator think about the campaign being run right now as president?”

That’s easy — It’s not his fault. The Republicans made him do it.

Just like Jack Ryan made him illegally obtain and disclose Ryan’s confidential sensitive private must-never-see-the-light-of-day except under court order, much less be published in local newspapers and disclosed on local TV news broadcasts and radio talk shows, court sealed divorce records.

farsighted on July 27, 2012 at 10:11 PM

d1carter on July 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM

And also reposted all the goodies on the guy in Romney’s “I built this” commercial.

Perhaps this is a reaction to the beating he has been taking on twitter (and probably elsewhere) for the two blog posts.

kim roy on July 27, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Flora Duh on July 27, 2012 at 9:44 PM

A nothingburger
Side order of lies
Drink with that? Some whine, of course.

Strangely, I’m no longer hungry, and need more cheap bourbon.

massrighty on July 27, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Yeah, funny thing about that. People tend to vote their wallet.

GarandFan on July 27, 2012 at 10:19 PM

“Our position hasn’t changed.”

MadisonConservative on July 27, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Major props to Tapper. Only legitimate journalist at ABC.

sbvft contributor on July 27, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Exactly what a liberal woman would say right after she had an abortion.

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 10:00 PM

..separated at birth we are!

The War Planner on July 27, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Haven’t we been seeing the President’s direction and isn’t it really really bad?

Wagthatdog on July 28, 2012 at 12:10 AM

“Likability” be d@^^ned, O’liar is gonna have the ballot box so stuffed by his communist, socialist cronies that we’re gonna think of Romney as less likable then McLame!

Vntnrse on July 28, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Vntnrse on July 28, 2012 at 12:29 AM

very doubtful…

jimver on July 28, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I almost feel sorry for Blarney.

But he is taking money to be the liar for a liar, so he’s made his bed.

Kenz on July 28, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Carney’s response:

“I didn’t build that response. Someone else built it for me.”

BKennedy on July 28, 2012 at 4:56 AM

RBMN on July 27, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Probably because traffic cones are much too difficult to program..as compared to TOTUSes.

Don L on July 28, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Smegmatic Vajayjay.

Tool.

pain train on July 28, 2012 at 6:26 AM

“Mr. Carney, what happened to wanting to bring the country together?”

“The president…middle class…fair share…”

“Mr. Carney, orange juice or coffee?”

“The president…middle class…fair share…”

Carney’s a pull-string toy with all the messages broken, save one.

Grace_is_sufficient on July 28, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Does this have anything to do with “context”?

ManWithNoName on July 28, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Carneyval!

Sherman1864 on July 28, 2012 at 8:50 AM

90% of the people are really sheeple. The ‘polls’ aren’t going to swing with most information. Celebrity, race, and the media won the 2008 elections; common sense revived when that all died down.

The reason the PR Presidency puts out lies and doublespeak and random stupid phrases is because of the sheeple. It’s psy-ops. Say and do whatever, then after it’s out there, walk it back where only hyper-informed persons will see it.

Open the eyes of the sheeple; let them see the shepherd is a deceiver, dividing to conquer.

John Kettlewell on July 28, 2012 at 8:52 AM

rrpjr on July 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Agree 100%!! Privately they tell me this too but they are really afraid of the thought police coming after them!! Obama’s war on America has succeeded in dampening free speech!! Many are truly afraid of this government run by Obama!! Some have told me they have lied to pollsters because they feared blow back from someone if they told the truth!! That creates the underground that will vote as you describe!!

Marco on July 28, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Just heard Obama’s new ad, aired during the Olympics.

Stunningly, he looked straight into the camera and said he’d pay down our debt in a responsible way.

I typically don’t think of Obama as a liar, more a pollyanish dilusional slow learner with the morals of a socialist.

No way he wasn’t lying here

Not-a-Marxist on July 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM