Romney: To suggest that profitable businesses don’t help people, is a really weird idea

posted at 6:41 pm on July 27, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

This is it, my friends. This right here is why I stand ready to forgive Mitt Romney his political faults and put him in charge of this country come November.

If you haven’t noticed yet (wink wink), I’m rather a big fan of free enterprise. More than any other socio-economic system that man has ever come up with, no other method has yet demonstrated itself so effortlessly able to provide so much prosperity, opportunity, and freedom for so many people — because before you yourself can do well in the free enterprise system, you must necessarily produce a good or service that somebody else voluntarily wants to consume. The greater value society places on said good or service, the greater the reward.

Yes, Mitt Romney has fired people and shuttered businesses — good for him. That’s what should happen when jobs and businesses are no longer providing something for which society can find a use. For Team Obama to imply that creative destruction is tantamount to villainy, as if the laid-off workers are somehow doomed to joblessness for the rest of their lives, is beyond disappointing. Losing a job is devastating, but you pick yourself up and find a new way to be useful — or you would, anyway, if your current president’s policies didn’t have the economy moving more slowly than molasses in January. I realize that’s a brass-tacks version of things, but there it is.

If you watch nothing else today, I implore you (yes, implore — that’s how strongly I feel about this!) to watch the full video at RCP, but here’s the transcript of a fantastic segment of Romney’s interview with CNN’s Piers Morgan from yesterday (emphasis mine):

Well, there’s no question but that a number of places where we went in and invested we were investing in enterprise that was in trouble. That — where the future was very much in doubt for it. We invested in one business, I think it lost 50 or 60 or more million dollars the year before we invested. And a lot of people didn’t want to touch it. We were able to go in there with the current management team, help get the business back on track as an investor. The managers really ran it but they were able to turn it around and see a real success. It’s still around today, doing quite well. It provides jobs for a lot of people.

The idea that somehow making a business profitable is different than helping people is really a foreign idea. Because the whole American free enterprise system is associated with creating success, making businesses profitable. That means they can hire more people and grow.

And every investment that I made while I was responsible for an investment firm, every investment was designed to try and help the business grow and to become more successful. It killed us if something was not successful. If a business we started, for instance, couldn’t make it, and there were several like that, but there were several that took off in ways we never would have imagined. There were other businesses that were existing businesses we wanted to make better. Most of them we did make better. Those that we didn’t, we felt terrible about.

By the way, we lost money, investors money. We became investors ultimately in our career. We lost our own money in some of these cases, but the key was we wanted all of them to be successful. That’s the nature, by the way, of the free enterprise system. Not everything you invest in is success, hopefully most are. And as the people who invested with us, the pensions, the charities and college endowments that invested with us know, most of our work was successful.

And here’s another awesome nugget, just for good measure:

Beautiful. Textbook, even. Why am I so excited for the presidential debates in October? Because that, friends, is how Mitt Romney speaks off-the-cuff, while when President Obama goes off the teleprompter, he produces frighteningly anti-free enterprise quips like “you didn’t build that.” Exit question: Who are you going to vote for in November? If the answer isn’t obvious — look at your life, look at your choices.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I think it’s also weird that hotgas has no article on how brave Marco Rubio followed John McCain and Keith Ellison and the Muslim Brotherhood and piled on Michele Bachmann for disrespecting the great Islamic religion.

VorDaj on July 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

bayam on July 27, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Because if I bought and iPod or iPad or iPhone or Apple computer it would cost more to make up for those lost profits. That is why it is a stealth tax on individuals and families that use their products or services.

chemman on July 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Caroline B. Glick (Columnist and former Israeli Defense Forces Captain): “For their efforts to warn about and perhaps cause the administration to abandon its reliance on Muslim Brotherhood front groups to inform it about the nature of the Muslim Brotherhood, Bachmann and her colleagues have been denounced as racists and McCarthyites. These attacks have not been carried out only by administration supporters. Republican Senator John McCain denounced Bachmann from the floor of the Senate. Republican Senator Marco Rubio later piled on attacking her for her attempt to convince the administration to reconsider its policies. Those policies again place the most radical members of the US Muslim community in charge of the US government’s policies toward the Muslim Brotherhood and other jihadist movements.

It is clear that the insidious notion that the Muslim Brotherhood is a moderate and friendly force has taken hold in US policy circles. And it is apparent that US policy making in the Middle East is increasingly rooted in this false and dangerous assessment.

In spearheading an initiative to investigate and change this state of affairs, Rep. Bachmann and her colleagues should be congratulated, not condemned. And their courageous efforts to ask the relevant questions about the nature of Muslim Brotherhood influence over US policymakers should be joined, not spurned by their colleagues in Washington, by the media and by all concerned citizens in America and throughout the free world.”

VorDaj on July 27, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Thanks Erika for posting this part. Romney and his investors lost their money in some businesses. B.O. lost taxpayers’ money. Another thing, Romney and his investors had the right motives; B.O. didn’t. All of those “green” businesses failed and the motive was never that they should succeed. That’s what I see anyway.

bluefox on July 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM

…there are departments in our government that this applies too…but even Republicans don’t seem very aware that THEY are also part of the problem! We elect them to be our CEO’s…and they suck!

KOOLAID2 on July 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM

No one can afford higher taxes but higher taxes are necessary to balance the budget- and that’s assuming that politicians can pass deep and lasting spending cuts, across the board.

bayam on July 27, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Wasn’t that the same promise your side made to Reagan around 1986. Wasn’t it for 3 dollars in spending cuts for each dollar in taxes increased. Still waiting for those 3 dollars in cuts. Give me the cuts for about 3 decades and I’ll talk about increases in taxes. BTW I don’t the pubs anymore than I trust the dems.

chemman on July 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Who built this website? Had to be the government. Don’t trust it:)

Redford on July 27, 2012 at 8:32 PM

chemman on July 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Tell you what sport. Show me the 6% unemployment. Show me the balanced budget since 2008. Show me the receding seas. Show me something positive the jug-eared Kenyan has accomplished since taking office before you decide to attack Romney for his business background.

Happy Nomad on July 27, 2012 at 8:33 PM

VorDaj on July 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I have wondered that myself. I’ve read many articles about that. What I found interesting is that many didn’t include Rubio. After reading that Jeb Bush met with Romney to promote Rubio for VP, I can see why.

McCain, Graham, Rubio and others that attacked Bachmann distorted what she said in the letter also.

bluefox on July 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM

bayam on July 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

How’s that Facebook thing going after that billion dollar IPO?

Solyndra?

Yes, even liberals can start a business…and why so many of these liberal business owners still support the Obama Team is beyond my ken.

But, being typically pedantic, you bring little of worth to this table.

coldwarrior on July 27, 2012 at 8:36 PM

bayam on July 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Sheesh your parrot and a sheep.

Listen I work for a liberal company and they do not run their company like a liberal.

Say where are Ipods made btw?

Phuck off polly.

CW on July 27, 2012 at 8:37 PM

But, being typically pedantic, you bring little of worth to this table.

coldwarrior on July 27, 2012 at 8:36

Brayam just brings the same tired lines over and over. No wonder Obama won. Dumb people thinking they are smart.

CW on July 27, 2012 at 8:38 PM

VorDaj on July 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

It’s shameful that a so called conservative blog has not reported this story one time especially since Michelle Bachmann represents Minnesota, the state where Ed resides.

I don’t get it.

JPeterman on July 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM

bluefox on July 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I just wish Jeb Bush would follow his brother’s lead and keep a very low profile.

McCain, Graham, Rubio all siding with the Muslim Brotherhood and piling on a little woman who is trying to defend America and Western Civilization. Patton would have the three of them shot.

VorDaj on July 27, 2012 at 8:40 PM

VorDaj on July 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

That wasn’t why they piled on. They piled on because what Bachmann said could be taken by many to imply that Huma herself was a traitor and could not be trusted because of some connections that members of her family had.

crosspatch on July 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I don’t get it.

JPeterman on July 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Might be on the Salem ‘NO’ list.

slickwillie2001 on July 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM

For such brilliant experts at capitalism, it’s amazing that you have trouble realizing that the most incredulous aspect of today’s deep balance sheet recession- following an asset bubble collapse which deflated the average middle class family’s net worth by 40%- is that GDP growth has remained in the positive. Under these conditions, a far deeper recession or depression is the norm.

The economy isn’t going to turn around because of the results of an election- that’s really pathetic naivete that masks the real and important issues around trade and fiscal policies that have the most impact on job growth.

bayam on July 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM

So, the basis of your argument is; as bad as it’s been, it should have been worse.

Once again; if pro-business decisions are made (as opposed to anti-business, heightened regulation, increased fees and fines, limiting opportunities to mine/extract/harvest our natural resources,) the economy will grow, at a much more rapid pace than is the new normal your saviour and redeemer has been capable of achieving.

massrighty on July 27, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I don’t get it.

JPeterman on July 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I haven’t exactly been his biggest fan but I must praise Newt Gingrich as he has stood with Michele Bachmann in her battle with the Muslim Brotherhood and it’s supporters, Obama, McCain and Rubio.

VorDaj on July 27, 2012 at 8:46 PM

VorDaj on July 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I don’t get it.

JPeterman on July 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I’ve wanted to bring some info about this to the QOTD but sometimes by the time I get there, it’s late.I wish HA would have an Open Thread in the daytime.They can’t have a thread for everything going on, I realize that. But many of us could post to the Open Thread at anytime.

bluefox on July 27, 2012 at 8:48 PM

canopfor on July 27, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Thanks canopfor for the other links. DeMint’s speech was good too as was Sarah’s!! Todd was there too, but didn’t speak. Ted Cruz made several good points. I wish however, that his great record was touched on more.

bluefox on July 27, 2012 at 8:18 PM

bluefox:On linkys,anytime.I only caught Sarah speaking,
and teleprompter free to boot!:)

canopfor on July 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM

crosspatch on July 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Could be taken by many? Many what? Muslims and their supporters and dhimmis? She was very measured in her wording and reached no verdict of Hillary’s gal pal Huma (wife of internet flasher wiener man) being a traitor so don’t try to pull that McCain/Rubio crap.

VorDaj on July 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Whoever hired Erika Johnsen as a blogger here should be given a raise immediately.

Erika seems like a fun person, and she always makes the blog posts fun to read.

bluegill on July 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I don’t get it.

JPeterman on July 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM

JPeterson:

If its in regards to Bachmanns letter,and accusations about Hillarys side kick Huma Mahmood Abedin connected to the Muslim Brotherhood,all
the news related has been sent in to tips,again,there is only so much
time in the day!:)

canopfor on July 27, 2012 at 8:55 PM

bluefox:On linkys,anytime.I only caught Sarah speaking,
and teleprompter free to boot!:)

canopfor on July 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I know, not a Teleprompter in sight. Don’t need one when you know what you’re talking about:-) Speeches that other people write for you, well you can’t memorize them all, LOL

Oh, I think http://www.rightscoop.com will probably have the other videos up. (Since you are Mr..Linky:-), you most likely know that already.

I suppose you heard the Dallas Cowboy Stadium is either sold out or near it for Beck’s Sat. night “Restoring Love”

I want a daytime Open Thread:-)

bluefox on July 27, 2012 at 8:58 PM

bluefox on July 27, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I have tossed this question out on many threads in the past week or so, as has “VorDaj” and still nothing except comments by other readers wondering the same thing.

VorDaj on July 27, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea Newt had stepped in.

JPeterman on July 27, 2012 at 9:00 PM

bluegill on July 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM

…it might be that guy you are alyays YELLING at!…I think his name is ED!

KOOLAID2 on July 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM

coldwarrior on July 27, 2012 at 8:36 PM

1. They have already made their money and have billions or hundreds of millions. They have little to lose unless the government starts taxing assets.

2. When you have all the money you will ever need and you are concerned about your public image and live in California, or Massachusetts, or NYC — well, Democrats “care about people” and Republicans are greedy bastards. The pop-culture and media praise Democrats and liberals and demonize and condemn Republicans and conservatives.

3. The Dems are careful not to go all Huey Long on the high tech industry. The Dems never, ever, never talk about the huge profit margins and “obscene profits” in the high tech industry. They try not to even mention the pharmaceutical industry.

4. The Dems go all out to help the high tech industry.Some call it crony capitalism. Some call it liberal fascism. Many Republicans go along because they know it is good for the economy. They want to make money, too.

5. I’m not so sure they will be enthusiastically supporting him this time around. Economic collapse will affect even the most successful high tech firm and possibly even some of the wealthiest individuals.

And so on and so forth.

Now let’s look as small business owners who are not in the high tech industry. Polls show small business owners favor Romney by about two to one, and that includes high tech firms.

And what about non-computer industry large businesses, like oil companies and Walmart. Profitable large non-computer industry companies are routinely demonized by libs and Democrats.

Democrats will not touch high-tech computer industry firms. Or most law firms that reap outrageous profits.

farsighted on July 27, 2012 at 9:17 PM

bayam on July 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I don’t suppose this nutball is anything more than a cowardly drive-by moron but, 1980.

Been there, experienced that.

cozmo on July 27, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Are you saying that conservatives are the best at building great companies? Then why are so many great, high growth companies started by liberals including almost every recent, major IPO?

pauline krugman on July 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Two questions, John Maynard.

1. How did Facebook do this week?

2. How come that liberal bastion Fender Guitar cancelled their IPO?

Del Dolemonte on July 27, 2012 at 9:25 PM

bayam on July 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM

massrighty on July 27, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I think it’s simpler than that for bayam. Since Obama’s been in office for nearly a full term and the economy is still bad, he/she/it thinks it must have been factors beyond our control that keep the economy from improving. It certainly couldn’t have been because Obama is pushing the wrong policies, or because Obama and the Democrats made it hard for businesses to expand and grow.

One of the most revealing statements made by Obama was when he said to his advisers (paraphrased), “Let me get this straight. We’re making all these investments and the economy is still not improving?”

Absolutely clueless. This is the kind of guy who thinks businesses exist to hire people, and should be taxed if they don’t hire enough.

tom on July 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM

tom on July 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM

And when they hire more, enough for Obamacare mandates and penalties to kick in.

farsighted on July 27, 2012 at 9:41 PM

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”

– Ronald Reagan

farsighted on July 27, 2012 at 9:44 PM

dang…

between this clip and the one of the PA Congressman today, there’s enough red meat to chew on for a while.

Its about time to start revving up the enthusiasm engine.

Defenestratus on July 27, 2012 at 10:10 PM

“The Dems had their chance, but they blew it by having the wrong guy at their right time.

Yes, the country is in long need of change. Right now, today, the country needs change from Obama.”

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Well said, Liam. Can’t believe they threw Hillary under the bus in favor of this incompetent man.

Anifin on July 27, 2012 at 11:27 PM

crosspatch on July 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Isn’t she merely asking questions about the ties her brother and mother have with the Muslim Brotherhood at the same time our country is veering into a relationship with them?

She’s on the intelligence committee. Why can’t she ask questions? Just because Huma’s married to Weiner doesn’t give her a pass.

And why has Hot Air been MIA on this issue? This is absurd.

BuckeyeSam on July 28, 2012 at 12:56 AM

While I have misgivings about Romney, it is good to see that he is staunchly defending economic freedom, along with individual liberty and responsibility and his own success, while calling out the Obama campaign for their attacks on his success. More of this please.

john.frank on July 28, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Speaking of making businesses profitable, here is an article on foxnews.com about Cook deciding not to build five more plants here in the midwest because of the medical device tax.. When I read this I got the impression they might be leaving the country.

I do not think there was much chance that Obama would have carried Indiana anyway, but this should make that a certainty.

Terrye on July 28, 2012 at 7:07 AM

VorDaj on July 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I did not get the impression that they were going after Michele Bachmann for disrepecting Islam…If we are talking about the same incident they were going after her for attacking a particular individual without any evidence to back up her charges.

I like Bachmann, but sometimes she shoots from the hip.

Terrye on July 28, 2012 at 7:09 AM

Well, Romney is a businessman first and a politician second..that is why he answered a question in candor that most politicians would have known required lying. I am tired of politicians saying the right things all the time..sometimes I kind of like to hear an honest opinion spoken with conviction.It is refreshing.

Terrye on July 28, 2012 at 7:14 AM

And why has Hot Air been MIA on this issue? This is absurd.

BuckeyeSam on July 28, 2012 at 12:56 AM

That is the thing,she did not just ask a question…she went public with accusations…she could have asked the question without all the hupla. It is a lot like when she went after Rick Perry on the whole HPV vaccine issue. That blew up in her face. She should have gotten her facts straight first.

Terrye on July 28, 2012 at 7:18 AM

crosspatch on July 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Hate to tell you but that is how things generally work. If all of your family are criminals, you are not going to be trusted.

I would like to know how this woman got clearance. I know of people who have had to fight to keep their TS clearance when they had peripheral contact with political groups. But a woman with blood ties to the MB and a husband that has mental issues has one with no issues?

Nathan_OH on July 28, 2012 at 7:58 AM

If he doesn’t go all McCain on us and fold……..

To think the gop ruling class wanted McCain in 2008 because it was his “turn”?

UGH.

PappyD61 on July 28, 2012 at 9:13 AM

WE will. Even a squish Romney with a bunch of big spending republicans we provide us the breathing room we need to right this ship of state.

cozmo on July 27, 2012 at 7:11 PM

That’s the only reason I ever voted for Romney in the primary.
Bcs the rest sucked.
Romeny is very Presidential, even though he’s a squish.
And America does need more than just a Republican back in the WH.
America needs a moral man in the White House.
And Mitt Romney is a very morally upright man.

Badger40 on July 28, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Newt was great yesterday, on with Kudlow, and made this essential point: as voters approach the voting booth (forget political persuasions for a moment) he hopes those Americans will ask themselves, “Can your family stand another four years like the last four years?”

Can you take more economic nationalization, more pointless regulation, more joblessness and– most of all– more ideological actions from an economically clueless administration?

MTF on July 28, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I have grown increasingly fond of Romney. I mean really I like him. Wasn’t sure I would, but I do.

I’m willing to let Mitt be Mitt and do what HE thinks is best for the country. If it backfires we can take care of anything amiss later.

Right now I like him and have decided to trust him.

MaggiePoo on July 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I caught just the end of this interview last night. I thought he was great.

magicbeans on July 28, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I’m voting for Romney, because he’s not Obama. Or to coin a phrase from a Sinatra song – “…with all your faults i love you still…”

Conservative_Hippie on July 28, 2012 at 2:04 PM

MaggiePoo on July 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Me too. I was an anybody but Romney girl in the begining of the primary. I liked Gingrich and Santorum and was rooting for them at different times. But at the end I wanted Romney. Now I’m really liking him.

magicbeans on July 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM