Rahm backs down: We never said we’d block Chick-fil-A from Chicago, says spokesman

posted at 4:41 pm on July 27, 2012 by Allahpundit

It grieves me to say it but I think we might owe Mike Bloomberg for this. When even America’s most meddlesome micro-managing mayor endorses the libertarian approach on this subject, the Overton window of acceptable state interference is closed. Best for Rahm to have a spokesman issue a quiet climbdown and then slink away in defeat.

Cutting one’s losses is a “Chicago value” too:

Emanuel press secretary Tarrah Cooper called Friday to clarify the mayor’s stance on whether a Logan Square Chick-fil-A location would be vetoed because of the company’s views on gay marriage.

“He never said he’d block the restaurant from coming,” Cooper said…

To clarify, Cooper said Emanuel still believes “their values are not Chicago values.” But that doesn’t mean he would block them.

“If they meet all the requirements, they’re welcome to open a restaurant here.”

Taken together with yesterday’s retreat by Mumbles, that makes two Chick-fil-A dragonslayers who have thrown in the towel. Are there no hardcore liberal mayors left who are willing to try to quash the company’s First Amendment rights for the glory of The Cause? Actually, maybe:

I hope he’s serious about that; we sure could use another week of easy traffic from halfwit Democrats threatening to illegally banish conservative businesses from their cities. Especially as a contrast to stories like this, of Jeff Bezos dropping a few million bucks on the pro-SSM movement in Washington state. Let me know when red-state mayors start threatening to kick Amazon warehouses out of town.

Exit question: Anyone else dreading the Twitter reaction to this terrible news? I’ve got a hunch there’s a Twitchy post collecting lefty reaction in the works as I write this, and it won’t be pleasant.

View more videos at: http://nbcchicago.com.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I said they should have been standing up and yelling years before this.

sharrukin on July 27, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I agree. I’ve been saying for years that right, especially the “Christian Right” are responsible for much of what is happening in the country because they have been so worried about appearing “un-Christian” like if they rocked the boat that they’ve let the left run over them.

But, you have to start somewhere. If it takes the government forcing mandates on religious organizations to provide contraception – or standing up against mayors who try to bully a business because they don’t agree with their politics – to get the dialog started, so be it.

Flora Duh on July 27, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I think the Obama campaign got scared and told him to back down.

RBMN on July 27, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Bingo!

VastRightWingConspirator on July 27, 2012 at 5:43 PM

It, (this) doesn’t matter. The die is cast for recurring behavior like this in regards to anything that has to do with this particular movement. You either get on board or there are elements out there that will ruin your life, your business, your reputation.

There are those from the community that argue passionately against straights being treated like this, several here on HotAir, that reassure me that sympathies in the past were not misplaced. And then there are other who claim they’re Conservatives who say they are torn on this issue as if it were not a basic right to have an opinion.

hawkdriver on July 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Flora Duh on July 27, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I suppose that is a point, but if people are ‘awakened’ by a chicken sandwich, what happens when they get their chicken sandwich returned to them? They go right back to sleep? I am not at all sure it means anything to them beyond wanting their desires met.

sharrukin on July 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM

sharrukin on July 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Dang, do you have scale on the side of your glass so you can keep it at half empty?

cozmo on July 27, 2012 at 5:49 PM

“We never said we’d block Chick-fil-A from Chicago, says spokesman”

Lunatic-left d-cRAT socialist extremists actually think that REALITY is whatever they say it is: Don’t believe your eyes or your ears – believe only the socialist extremist spin.

TeaPartyNation on July 27, 2012 at 5:49 PM

sharrukin on July 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Ah, shurrakin — if it wasn’t a hijack, I’d love to follow that idea. :)

But you guys carry on.

Axe on July 27, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Flora Duh on July 27, 2012 at 5:41 PM

It’s irrelevant what has been screamed for years. No one was listening. Maybe now they are.

I have a problem with sharrukin’s view here, and I’m surprised you’re falling for it.

Sharrukin claims that, because no one listened before, we should drop the fight going on now in this matter. Let it go, give it a pass.

I don’t buy that. I don’t know sharrukin, but his/her argument sounds like something a liberal would say to shut us down.

The battle between Left and Right isn’t just on many fronts. It’s on every front, big or small. The relative size and importance is subjective, further determined by individual thought and opinion.

Liberals let nothing go, they never let a crisis of any type go to waste. We have to meet them on all fronts, every engagement they start and every time.

They may not want to let any crisis be wasted. By the same token, let us not let any of their challenges go unanswered.

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 5:52 PM

hawkdriver on July 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM

They’ve managed to cast the idea of freedom of choice as intolerance, and since you won’t make the right choices, we’ll choose for you as “Equality” — and on and on.

This clique of issues is standing on it’s head.

Axe on July 27, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Flora Duh on July 27, 2012 at 5:41 PM

hawkdriver on July 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Maybe I’m at a loss for brain-power after a long day, but I guess I don’t quite get what either of you posted. Could you both please clarify?

oldroy on July 27, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I wonder what Triple J and the Rev. Jackson have to say??..:)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM

sharrukin on July 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I guess you must have missed the backlash against the liberals for their Stop Rush, Boycott Arby’s, Boycott Coca Cola, Boycott Georgia Pacific, etc. etc. bullying tactics.

Flora Duh on July 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM

cozmo on July 27, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I got burned with that boundless optimism in 2008 and watched as 52% of voters chose national suicide with a socialist. That wasn’t hidden from them, they were simply distracted by a media driven hand puppet show. I have a hard time believing these same folks are suddenly going to become alert citizens of a Republic. Obama didn’t deliver the goodies they wanted and they are unhappy over that.

sharrukin on July 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I still believe that ya got it wrong…

The Alderman and Mayor were just looking for $ome con$ideration in return for having Chick-fil-A the privilege of being part of the Chicago Way!

CiLH1 on July 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I wonder what Triple J and the Rev. Jackson have to say??..:)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM

There you are. Remember how to get to my blog?

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Dont Tell Rahm: Louis Farrakhan Opposes Same-Sex Marriage

Zcat on July 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I dunno. It’s nice to have these halfwits as punching bags, but is a week of talking about how the liberals want to ban conservative businesses really as bad for That One as a week of talking about the state of the economy?

Mr. Prodigy on July 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 5:52 PM

If you thought my comments were recommending this approach I must not be making myself very clear.

Flora Duh on July 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Flora Duh on July 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I didn’t miss it within conservative circles. Have you seen how many people think Obama is a nice guy? They don’t see him as a bully at all, despite all evidence to the contrary.

sharrukin on July 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Someone with photoshopping skillz please make a few of Oblahblah, Rhamboy, Man’nino, dressed as Urkel saying
” Did I say that ?”

burrata on July 27, 2012 at 6:02 PM

CiLH1 on July 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM

So when the tiny prancer says ” Chicago values” he actually means the value of Chicago ?

burrata on July 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM

WLS radio Chicago has been playing this example of Rahm controlling the media today:

Laughing he says, “Does anyone have any questions for my answers?”

Carney may want to take notes.

Fallon on July 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Witness….The Power of Chicken!

KirknBurker on July 27, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I do not remember!..:)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 6:14 PM

burrata on July 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Omit the lakefront property and that would be zero.

SKYFOX on July 27, 2012 at 6:15 PM

hawkdriver on July 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM

oldroy on July 27, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Sorry roy. Not sure how to say it different.

hawkdriver on July 27, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I do not remember!..:)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 6:14 PM

That’s okay. We’ll just have to check your eyesight again. LOL!

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Flora Duh on July 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I know from where you proceed after a long time of reading you. I simply used your post to needle liberals, because you were thinking ahead of them as usual. They won’t see your finer points (so what else is new?) so I took the liberty of making it clearer for them.

Not that it’ll help them, of course. ~S~

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 6:20 PM

sharrukin on July 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM

This is a long term war of attrition.

As far as I know Progressive ideas came to the U.S. in the late 1800s. It took them a long, long time to make the inroads they have made, and they did it largely by lies and deception.

IMO remarkable progress has been made with the Tea Parties and 2010 elections. I realize Congress is still being recalcitrant, but compare our timeline against a timeline of 100+ years.

INC on July 27, 2012 at 6:22 PM

hawkdriver on July 27, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Re-read the first couple sentences aloud. Agreed. The ship has sailed. If you don’t agree with some of these “in-good-consicience-how-could-you-disagree” issues then you are a bigot. Freedom of speech – screw you, we’ll protest until your customers won’t show up, even though they outnumber us 100-to-1.

And there are many many people who would call themselves conservative that would fall in line with the “how-could-you-disagree-with-this” crowd….

That about it?

oldroy on July 27, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I think somebody got to Rahm and told him to STFU.

micmac on July 27, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 6:20 PM

LoL..:)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM

oldroy on July 27, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Not much more than that my friend.

hawkdriver on July 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM

An abundances of “riches”…

1. Demonizing the Christan owners of Chick-fil-A for having a non-lunatic-left opinion AND supporting the tenets of their faith.
2 “If You’ve Got a Business — You Didn’t Build That. Somebody Else Made That Happen.” – Barack Hussein Obama, The WORST PRESIDENT IN AMERICAN HISTORY, 16 July 2012
3. Brian “the Tea party did it” ross of the A(lways)B(iased-socialist)C(lowns) network
4. “Just like we’ve tried their plan, we tried our plan, and it worked…that’s why I’m running for a second term.” – Barack Hussein Obama, The WORST PRESIDENT IN AMERICAN HISTORY, 23 July 2012.

Never before have the lunatic-left d-cRAT socialist extremists been so wrong that EVERYBODY on Earth recognizes their wrongness and they’re forced to spend an enormous effort to BACK-PEDDLE, DENY, and COVER-UP their outrageous actions and remarks.

As McDonalds would say; “I’m Lovin’ it.” (and please, please keep up this offensive and insulting stuff until election day, Nov. 6, when Americans can fully express their opinion on it all.)

TeaPartyNation on July 27, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I had ChickFilA today for the first time in a long time …wow that was good. They give the friendliest service of any of the major fast service chains. The place was rocking and the drive thru was strung around the building. I love AMERICA.

CW on July 27, 2012 at 6:35 PM

LoL..:)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Lol! I’m in stitches over here. Literally. Did you see it? Cause if you did, let me know that you also saw the note I left you. ; )

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Got it!..Thanks..:)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 6:38 PM

That about it?

oldroy on July 27, 2012 at 6:24 PM

And as an example of someone who fits the bill from the first part of that comment, I’d cite NorthDallasthirty from here at Hot Air. He doesn’t just offer platitudes about the extremists in the Gay Movement. He argues passionately about everyone’s right to have an opinion. Given the tener of his comments here, I know he must carry those same convictions in his life. It would not be easy to be gay and assert the opinions that he does.

Hats off to him wherever he is.

hawkdriver on July 27, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Got it!..Thanks..:)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Good deal. Makes sense I hope. Dire bookmark the place this time, would ya? LOL! ; )

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Not much more than that my friend.

hawkdriver on July 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Hope the corn is high in the field along the des moines and the skunk rivers and hope more rain is on the way to my “ancestral homelands”.

oldroy on July 27, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I have read your note to me..Sorry for your problems I hope thing will get better soon!!!..:):)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Got it!..:)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I have read your note to me..Sorry for your problems I hope things will get better soon!!!..:):)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Fixed!..:)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Fixed!..:)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Now if you could just fix me that easily, I’d be set, see you later friend. ; )

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Hang in there friend the worm will turn for you!..:)

PS..See you later!..:)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Maybe Mayor Dumbo discovered there are Muslim owned restaurants in Chicago.

farsighted on July 27, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Bmore, whatevers up, you’re in my prayers for health and happiness also.

hawkdriver on July 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Maybe Mayor Dumbo discovered there are Muslim owned restaurants in Chicago.

farsighted on July 27, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Farrakhan probably took him to lunch at one. I hope he was very uncomfortable. I hope they made him eat the most awfully prepared squab curry.

oldroy on July 27, 2012 at 6:56 PM

The “boycott” doesn’t seem to have affected Chick-fil-A’s business (includes photos):

bw222 on July 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Maybe Mayor Dumbo discovered there are Muslim owned restaurants in Chicago.

farsighted on July 27, 2012 at 6:50 PM

He always knew that !
Where do you think he performs belly dances every Friday night
;-)

burrata on July 27, 2012 at 7:08 PM

went for the first time today. cfa nuggest, waffle fries, vanilla shake, and a lemonade. that food is GOOD! tomorow, my tervis cfa tumbler arrives. that’s $50.00 this week, and more to come.

GhoulAid on July 27, 2012 at 7:10 PM

A kinder, gentler thugocracy.

logis on July 27, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Pluck you, Mayor Lee.

faraway on July 27, 2012 at 7:16 PM

He always knew that !
Where do you think he performs belly dances every Friday night
;-)

burrata on July 27, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Oof. There goes my appetite again.

oldroy on July 27, 2012 at 7:24 PM

This Dem debacle deserves a new Chick-fil-A creation:

The “Rahm-a-Damned-Ding-Dong” Special:

8 beaks
16 feet
and a big glug of “You-Bleu-It-Cheezy” dipping sauce.

Mmm, Mmm, MMM!

TheClearRiver on July 27, 2012 at 7:27 PM

hawkdriver on July 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Thanks hawkdriver.

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Mayor Tinkerbell pirouettes after Chick-fil-A refuses to be cowed by usual Chicago bull.

News at ten.

viking01 on July 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM

New Steyn!

Don’t Cross the Forces of Tolerance

M2RB: Lady GaGa

Resist We Much on July 27, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Always funny to watch the bloviating libtard run away and cower when confronted by common sense…..like the true little wuss-boy he is.

You’re a d*uche, dude.

always have been.

always will be.

Others call you a “thug” – but there’s nothing menacing about you.

You’re just another pathetic little chicken sh!t d*uche…a libtard parasite that scatters when the lights are turned on.

Tim_CA on July 27, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Don’t worry Mayor Lee. Chick-fil-A has no intention of opening in your Faggott-infested city of San Francisco! Their chickens are straight! They still need a rooster to start the egg-laying process! Your city now contains the dregs of society! It’s a shame that the once beautiful city, named for a wonderful Saint, has sunken to the depths of depravity!!San Francisco has now been called the modern-day Sodom and Gomorrah!!! Aren’t you proud!!

Jersey Dan on July 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Another “Chicago value” is claiming, “We didn’t say that!” Excuse me, did we take him outta context? Mayor Tiny Dancer Rahmbo–liar, liar, dance tights on fire.

stukinIL4now on July 27, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Jersey Dan on July 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Not trying to mind your business. Easy there on the slurs. That is a bannable slur. Had it been near the front of the comments, it would have certainly been deleted, as well may have you been. My advice, worth exactly what you’re paying me for it is, walk it back with apologies. If you don’t, then don’t be surprised if it gets emailed in to Allah or Ed, and don’t be surprised when you go to make a comment and can’t.

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Oh, and for anyone else who does see this. For the record one commenter to another, I don’t appreciate one bit the use of slurs. I would have at the very least deleted the comment. The commenter, quite possibly as well.

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Good advice, Bmore. I thot the same thing when I saw that word.

bluefox on July 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Rahm got his message out, and for that matter the other mayors did too – why should they continue to take the heat?

Now they’ve got a whole bunch of nameless, faceless building inspectors, zoning specialists, fire inspectors, auditors, etc. to do their dirty work for them. Not to mention union stewards to refuse to let any of their workers show up on the job sites, sabotage equipment on those sites, picket those sites when Chick-fil-A brings in non-union people to do the work, etc.

And that doesn’t even begin to cover what Obama can do to them on the national level with the IRS, the SEC, the EPA, the EEOC, OSHA, ad nauseum.

Gator Country on July 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Maybe Tiny Dancer realizes what a damned fool he looks like, getting involved with this McCarthyism when he has so much more significant matters to contend with in the Murder capital. And that attacking a source of jobs is not a meme the Democrats need more reinforcement on.

rayra on July 27, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Banning Chick-fil-A from being established.

Doesn’t that make them an anti-jobs creator??

pastselldate on July 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Liberals are celebrating the death of the Chick-fil-A exec pretty much as you’d expect.

jdawg on July 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Step 1: Use the power of government to oppress “bad” religions and expression of “bad” religions. Block commercial action so nobody of these “bad” religions can live somewhere.

Step 1 corollary 1: Therefore only the “good” religion, or the “one true” religion can be expressed in this area.

Step 1 corollary 2: Theocracy.

I used this numeration to clarify there ARE NO MORE STEPS required for this.

But I guess it makes sense… consider the people involved here. It’s primarily the GLBT crowd pushing this. Now think of all the theocracies in the world and how they treat the GLBT communities in those nations.

Clearly this is a desirable goal for them here and they’re working to make sure the US has the same reactions to the GLBT community as other Theocracies once we finally have ours up and running.

Yeah, it doesn’t make any sense to me either… but how is this not the single precedent required for Theocratic rule? Once you have the government oppressing and rewarding (even if by default) religions and religious expression… how do you not get to Theocracy?

gekkobear on July 28, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I know that many laws in the present adminstration are only applied to Republicans, but didn’t I read somewhere that it is an offense for a public official to even threaten to withhold services because they disagree with a citizen’s or business’ political or social positions? So where are the charges against the Mayors of Chicago and Boston?

drunyan8315 on July 28, 2012 at 6:28 PM

How about they just send the money to NRA instead.

pastselldate on July 28, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Team up with NRA and have the customers “shoot your own chicken”

It would be wildly popular!

pastselldate on July 28, 2012 at 7:40 PM

All the requirements

Nice little fallback for the statists, considering the red tape that involves any business but especially a restaurant. Any one of the dozens of little Hitlers could delay a permit, misplace paperwork, etc.

jangle12 on July 29, 2012 at 8:34 AM