Maybe racism is why people are irritated at Obama’s “you didn’t build that” line

posted at 8:01 pm on July 27, 2012 by Allahpundit

I’m tempted to agree, only because I desperately want white Democratic incumbents also telling business owners “you didn’t build that” while on the stump this fall. No worries, Jon Tester and Claire McCaskill. Free pass for whitey from swing voters on this one.

From Jon Chait’s first post this afternoon:

Mitt Romney’s plan of blatantly lying about President Obama’s “you didn’t build that” speech is clearly drawing blood. But what makes the attack work so well is not so much the lie itself but the broader subtext of it. Watch Obama’s delivery in the snippet put together by this Republican ad…

The key thing is that Obama is angry, and he’s talking not in his normal voice but in a “black dialect.” This strikes at the core of Obama’s entire political identity: a soft-spoken, reasonable African-American with a Kansas accent. From the moment he stepped onto the national stage, Obama’s deepest political fear was being seen as a “traditional” black politician, one who was demanding redistribution from white America on behalf of his fellow African-Americans.

When conservatives pushed back, he clarified that he’s not saying anyone is racist (including Romney) so much as that everyone is:

Foster writes, “ I don’t even have an argument here — which I suppose is fine since Chait doesn’t either.” He does not take the step of considering the obvious conclusion, which is that I don’t have an argument that Romney’s ad is racist because I don’t argue that Romney is racist.

I certainly do think that race is deeply embedded in American politics in ways conservatives don’t like to acknowledge. As I argued, the collapse of liberalism in the mid-sixties occurred because large numbers of whites came to see the Democratic Party as taking resources from them and giving them to lazy or otherwise undeserving black people. Obama’s election crucially depended on his image as a different kind of black politician, not one who was chastising white America or demanding concessions on behalf of other African-Americans…

Are the ads distorting Obama’s “you didn’t build that” line racist? Of course not. They do activate a set of emotions that are closely linked to racial feelings, but so does almost any debate surrounding Obama. (Read Sasha Issenberg’s pithy explanation.) The inextricable link between race and, well, just about everything accounts for the pathological character of the way we discuss race.

The problem with challenging arguments like this, of course, is that they’re nonfalsifiable. (By design.) The idea that race is inextricably linked to “just about everything” is almost prosaic in light of American history and culture, but once you concede it, there’s no limiting principle on using it to justify accusations of racism except the good will of the accuser. E.g., conservatives were plenty irritated when Elizabeth Warren made the same “you didn’t build that” argument last year, which might be a clue that this is less about the race of the speaker than what’s being spoken. But Chait’s telling you flat out in the excerpt why that counter won’t work. Because race is “deeply embedded” and O is, after all, the first black president, “almost any debate” about him must involve some racial element. The racism’s there, always, even if it’s subconscious, even if it’s grafted on to a more legit race-neutral ideological complaint; how hard you need to squint to see it depends on how badly you need to delegitimize your opponent’s argument. In this case, with Team O panicked about the fallout from “you didn’t build that,” squint hard.

Dave Weigel, who’s no rock-ribbed conservative, says it’s preposterous to think that Obama was talking in a “black dialect” during his “you didn’t build that” comments. Is he right? (Yeah, as you’ll see below.) Or is he simply in denial about the “deeply embedded” racial assumptions that he uses to judge Obama? The answer turns, presumably, on whether Dave thinks the “you didn’t build that” line is a big deal. If he does, then he needs to be delegitimized; if he doesn’t — and it turns out he doesn’t — then his racial bona fides can be assumed. That’s how political opportunism as psychology works. The only difference between Chait and garden-variety “you’re racist!” liberals is that he’s smarter and more ambitious in what he’s doing with this than they are. It’s easy to dismiss someone who screeches that Romney’s a willful racist; it’s harder to argue with the idea that we’re all conscious of race to some degree, even if only subconsciously, purely by dint of having grown up in America. That’s a much bigger net to cast. And if you’re fishing, a big net is what you want.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Jeebus this is horrible. Train wreck.

Philly on July 27, 2012 at 8:48 PM

PUHLEEZE

Getting old folks…

cmsinaz on July 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Liberals are so linear, so boxed in; always on a road to nowhere that has never once arrived-at or accomplished anything.

Yet, they perpetually think themselves our moral and intellectual superiors.

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM

My name is Hill60… I disagree with our president’s policies and the direction he’s taking this country. I. Am… A racist.

Phew!

See how easy that was? I feel better already!!! ///

Hill60 on July 27, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Let me get this straight:

-If you think you’re racist, you’re right
-If your friends think you’re racist, they’re right
-If a lefty commentator who’s never met you thinks you’re racist, he’s right
-If the entire Democrat Party thinks you’re racist, they’re right

BUT

-If you think you’re not racist, you’re deluded
-If your friends think you’re not racist, they’re deluded too
-If a lefty commentator thinks you’re racist, he’s right
-If the entire Democrat Party thinks you’re racist, they’re also right. Again, as usual.

Yup. Seems like an airtight argument to me.

Grace_is_sufficient on July 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Oh, I’m a racist,
You’re a racist,
He’s a racist,
We’re all racists,
Wouldn’t you like to be a racist, too?

Mary in LA on July 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Does this mean that, “The private sector is doing fine.”, “Just like we’ve tried their plan, we tried our plan — and it worked. ”, are racist?

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Yep, that’s what they’re saying. We’re ALL racist, ALL of the time, no matter what we say or do. And the more we deny it, the more racist we become. The only cure is to drop all of our conservative principles, fall on our knees and worship the Messiah.

TarheelBen on July 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM

OK, this is not the first time I have heard this but where in the world does someone get an idea that Mr I.M. Awesome has a Kansas accent? Oh, and by the way, it is indeed racist to give Obama a pass for a performance that coming from any white dude would be considered utter incompetence.

DaveDief on July 27, 2012 at 8:52 PM

anotherJoe on July 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM

No doubt the cue cards reading “applause” and “cheer” were very carefully hidden out of camera range.

PatriotGal2257 on July 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM

THE COLLAPSE OF LIBERALISM?

This guy smokes a lot of grass!

GarandFan on July 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM

TarheelBen on July 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM

But that will never be enough. You will always be suspect. And the Left has a gazillion reasons for that.

“Have you, or did your great-grandfather, ever read the US Constitution?”

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 8:56 PM

DaveDief on July 27, 2012 at 8:52 PM

The idea behind the “Kansas accent” is the fact that people from this region have no discernible accent.

So he is saying that racists prefer their black politicians to act and sound like boring white people.

nitzsche on July 27, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Actually a real racist sums up his problem with “You didn’t build that”…”Obama’s chickens are coming home to roost.”

bluesdoc70 on July 27, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Sorry, it’s not about race. We just disagree with every single policy decision he makes; every law he strikes down via executive order; and his utter disdain for people who are able to create success on their own.

HoosierStateofMind on July 27, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Wow. They are resorting to the racist thing a bit early, don’t you think?

UnderstandingisPower on July 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Lizzy Warrens paralinguistic cues are just as important as barry’s…or huey long’s

they all come from the same demagogic tradition. lefties may not be comfortable with the truth that they represent a demagogic tradition…they like to think of themselves as high minded.

there was nothing high minded about lizzy…just an arrogant shrew telling her students her truth.

barry is actually far more easy to listen to. he’s a much slicker snake oil salesman

but the painful truth for the left is that their people will cheer for anything…i.e. they are into cult of personality pretty heave

they cheered at Roanoke, and they cheered in Oakland…when barry said he loved business and free enterprise

they just like to cheer their dreamboat…so cute, such a sharp crease, oh…my leg!

r keller on July 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM

DaveDief on July 27, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Bob Dole said “Bob Dole speaks a Kansas accent.”

Also said “Kathleen Sebelius speaks gibberish.”

I agree on both.

coldwarrior on July 27, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I’m sick to death of my opinions being filtered through the screen of ‘racism’ by people who refuse to even talk to me, those who don’t know me and wouldn’t pee on me if I were in fire. Only because they hate me from the outset since they somehow consider themselves ‘enlightened’ and call me a ‘rube’.

Pffft!

If I wanted to be racist, I can do that all on my own. And make their hair stand on end and turn white.

Liberals are such Philistines.

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Wow. They are resorting to the racist thing a bit early, don’t you think?

UnderstandingisPower on July 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Typical liberal way: Vote early, vote often.

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I strongly opposed John F’in Kerry and algore as well so I must hate White people too!

Strike Hornet on July 27, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Strike Hornet on July 27, 2012 at 9:16 PM

…good one!..I love it…you R A C I S T!

KOOLAID2 on July 27, 2012 at 9:19 PM

If he’s trying to convince anyone it must be the right-leaning swing voter. As he’s the one in play this time around.

When everything is a sin then nothing is a sin. Chait is desperate because the comment revealed what was suspected but unproven and that is that Obama and his fellow travelers think that hard work, intelligence, diligence is overshadowed by and subordinate to fortune or chance. If the attempt was undertaken to prove that chance was the most important factor, you’d find, immediately, that hard work, intelligence and diligence are not in equal supply between success and failure.

And does Obama really sound like the Ivyed Uncle Henry?

To the degree that race and struggle are a part of our national sinew, positive racism, the kind that probably helped elect President Obama, is in that mix too and disabuses many of the notion that there can ever be resolution.

Eirenic Rebel on July 27, 2012 at 9:20 PM

KOOLAID2 on July 27, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Maybe I should have put a sarc tag at the end of that sentence!

thatsafactjack on July 27, 2012 at 8:37 PM

…NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

KOOLAID2 on July 27, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Barack Obama is America’s first black president…

“Stated policy [of the Tea Party], publicly stated, is to do whatever it takes to see to it that Obama only serves one term. What … underlines that? Screw the country. We’re going to do whatever we do to get this black man … outta here.”

- Morgan Freeman, 26 September 2011

Except when he isn’t…

“They just conveniently forget that Barack had a mama, and she was white – very white American, Kansas, middle America. There was no argument about who he is or what he is. America’s first black president hasn’t arisen yet. He’s not America’s first black president – he’s America’s first mixed-race president.

- Morgan Freeman, 5 July 2012

Resist We Much on July 27, 2012 at 9:23 PM

…good one!..I love it…you R A C I S T!

KOOLAID2 on July 27, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Indeed! Hey, shouldn’t the “self-loathing/white guilt” white liberals be considered “racists” as well because they hate themselves?

Strike Hornet on July 27, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I haven’t even watched the video of Obama saying that. I read the transcript, and I though it was horrible. So I’m a racist, once again.

juliesa on July 27, 2012 at 9:25 PM

You didn’t make that racist comment. Somebody else made that happen.

bitsy on July 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Of course I’m a racist!

Resisting
A
Chronically
Inept
Socialist
Tyrant

lynncgb on July 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM

All pro-Obama articles should just read as follows:

Racism racism racism, not to mention racism. On the one hand, racism racism racism; on the other hand, racism racism racism. Let us not forget that racism racism racism. Furthermore, racism racism racism. In these difficult times, racism racism racism. The American people racism racism racism. In conclusion, racism.

Bill Ramey on July 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Condescending wonka

You think I’m racist?

Tell me about race based initiatives.

tom daschle concerned on July 27, 2012 at 9:50 PM

It’s not surprising that Obama’s supporters in the media think that those of us who oppose Obama are racists – given that his race is the main reason why they supported him.

Obama’s problem is not that he’s America’s first black president, it’s that he’s America’s first marxist president.

And he’s not just a thug but a liar without peer. He’s now running commercials saying that he wasn’t criticizing business people, he was supporting them. He makes Nixon look lie a choir boy. At least Nixon sweated when he lied.

Basilsbest on July 27, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Resist We Much on July 27, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I used to be a big fan of Morgan’s…BHO has brought out the best in all of us../

d1carter on July 27, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Brent Bozell made a good point on Hannity. The New York Times, ABC, CBS, and NBC refused to cover the comment for four days – and it was the “alternative media” that forced them to.

Marcus on July 27, 2012 at 9:55 PM

That he was speaking in a “black dialect” means that you cannot go by the transcript. Dialect often does not come through in a transcript.

This is their fall back position from their initial “context” counter argument. People are reading the transcript and concluding it is as bad or worse in that “context”.

So now the “context” is the video and his “black dialect”.

So if you see the video and in that “context” still do not understand the “black dialogue” meaning, and yet continue to misrepresent what he said, you are ignorant of “black dialects” and incapable of understanding what he said, or you are a racist. Because experts in “black dialects” have translated and he did not say what Republican and conservative crackers say he said.

farsighted on July 27, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Yet, they perpetually think themselves our moral and intellectual superiors.

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM

LMAO. Exactly.

They are the pedestrian intellect in search of hip. There is a tragicomic description of this that fails me right now.

They really are quite ………….dumb.

98ZJUSMC on July 27, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Oreo’s and Uncle Tom’s, Heh! I shudda known better around here.

JimK on July 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM

We’ve not forgotten what the black Klansmen , also known as Democrats,
called Herman Cain !!

burrata on July 27, 2012 at 9:57 PM

For over five years, Obama has been running on a platform of using racism in order to form a more Socialist union.

ITguy on July 27, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Jon Chait is a racist!!!! So am I racist against Obama’s white or his black half? Gosh, too many choices!!

chai on July 27, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I did take note of the tone of voice, and it did make the message sound worse in my ears, but I didn’t register it as a “black” sound, just as a revival meeting cadence. And it revolted me because the preacher’s message of giving the glory all to God was subverted and perverted into “give all the praise to government.” And of course said preacher being the head of government, it boiled down to the blasphemous “give all the praise to ME.”

sistrum on July 27, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I just love these speeches when he gets in full jive talkin mode…you know with shout outs and fist bumps, etc… Stay classy brah

TheAudacityofNOPE on July 27, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Hogwash and utter bull****. I don’t give two craps if the Marxist is pink with purple polka dots.

A Marxist.

Is a Marxist.

That’s all there is.

But somewhere deep down I must be racist because my ancestors came here, long after slavery, and never……. had any?

What the ****.

98ZJUSMC on July 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM

When I hear little Bammie say again and again, “someone along the waaaaaaaah helped you out”, the first thing I think is, -yep there’s your Kansas accent. It’s so distinctive.

Remember the time in a speech he turned his head sideways and said “you don’t have to tell me about working with the S-E-I-U, I ‘bin working with the SEIU my whole life”, yep, that’s the Kansas in him.

slickwillie2001 on July 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I found a transcript of an alternate speech option that he passed up…it’s a little less crowd friendy as his anti-business rant.

“so I just gotta say, there’s lots of hard workin folks out there…granted I don’t see any here today because those that are I’m sure are out hanging onto their job for dear life! But I want you to know that the only reason they still have jobs is because I’m principled with self promotion here today so in a way I’m responsible for saving or creating those jobs! And for all of you here, lemme talk something a little more down home for ya, when you go home tonight and make that meal, you know put together all those ingredients and all that, just remember…you didn’t build that! No you didn’t, somewhere somebody got a government subsidy to grow thy food so others could subsidize the programs that send you a check or a card which allowed you to purchase that food. So you know, let’s all be thankful that everywhere, everyplace, government is looking out for you, cause if we didn’t, well nevermind..after all, there is a reason none of y’all are working today!”

So yeah cut him some slack, he was between a rock and a hard place.

TheAudacityofNOPE on July 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM

If anything has become more lame and stupid than the stupid and lame race card, I don’t know what it would be.

VorDaj on July 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM

*busy with self promotion

TheAudacityofNOPE on July 27, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Kiss my posterior and name it some Holiday.

Please………you actually want to agree with that on any level?

I don’t care what the reasons.

98ZJUSMC on July 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM

The Race Card is the most rapid-fire, all purpose, over used and abused, ad hominem and vapid weapon of smear, mass deception, diversion and greed ever conceived by man. It is a weapon under which the most feeble minds are servilely crouched and can be played with the greatest of ease by even the most reason and integrity challenged, and in fact, was designed especially for use by them. It is void of justice. It is void of liberty. It needs no footing in rationality. It is, in plain and clear fact, similar to a lynching. At times it is the last refuge of scoundrels and at other times the first as they attempt to murder freedom of speech. It has no expiration date. It doesn’t even appear to have a half life. There are those who theorize that it may continue to exist indefinitely in some form even after time itself has come to an end.

Anyone who actually thinks that opposition to Barack Obama and his policies makes someone a “racist” is mentally ill and profoundly so and so filled with hate they can’t even see straight. Anyone who makes that claim but does not actually believe it is a liar and a smearier and a verbal lyncher. In any case as the line goes, give me a million years and I could not think of anything STUPIDER than “If you oppose Barack Obama and his policies, you are a racist”. It does not get any STUPIDER and is all but a signed confession by his most witless sheeple that they can not rationally and honestly defend their feeble and failing god, the Mad Child Emperor.

VorDaj on July 27, 2012 at 10:17 PM

In reality, Democrats have always been afraid of Obama’s being exposed for who he really is.

Better late than never, I suppose.

BuckeyeSam on July 27, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Yes – you are absolutely correct. We are all Racists. Now what you Nitwit !

ashiya on July 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM

At the rate he is going by November people will be calling Barack Hussein Obama, Insane Hussein.

VorDaj on July 27, 2012 at 10:23 PM

But Chait et al., of course, won’t ascribe race when liberals criticize Obama. Will he?

The criticism of Obama from liberals is that he hasn’t been liberal enough, he’s been to willing to compromise with his opponents and hasn’t blamed Bush and the House Republicans for the bad economy.

Is the liberal criticism of Obama race based?

I read Chait regularly and have never read that he’s admitted this.

SteveMG on July 27, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Obama’s current contempt for American small businesses is hardly contrasted by that line from one of his books in which he described working in the private sector for a short time just after Columbia as working “behind enemy lines.”

Why isn’t that line highlighted more to show Americans that Obama has been un-American for more than three decads?

BuckeyeSam on July 27, 2012 at 10:27 PM

TheAudacityofNOPE on July 27, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I prefer presidents who act…presidential.

BuckeyeSam on July 27, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Obama is black? Who knew. He is beginning to look like skeletal “Mr Jones” from Joseph Conrad. “the horror.”

kenny on July 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM

The more they use the silly and ineffective accusation of racism the more proof how desperate they are. Folks, Obama and his liberals are very, very, very desperate…

mnjg on July 27, 2012 at 11:07 PM

You know what is inextricably linked to just about everything?

Freedom.

SomeCallMeJohn on July 27, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Romney supporters sign the front of checks. Obama supporters the back of them. Those Virginians able to take time off on a work day to listen to Obama’s “you didn’t build it” speech have never produced anything in their lives. They are living the life of Julia where they rely on government for every aspect of their lives. They were hollering and cheering because to them Obama’s message was one of stealing from the productive to give them even more.

And for those of you that are unfamiliar with Roanoke, it is a large population center but also a former industrial area filled with a willing audience for Obama’s social welfare message since to find work, the populace would probably have to move.

Happy Nomad on July 27, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Excellent post… Anyway his audience at that event was largely blacks… At that event he felt right at his comfort zone as a Welfare Queens Agitator when he spent most of his political life agitating the welfare queens of Chicago… and hence he talked to this audience the way he used to talk to the welfare queens of Chicago which was basically “you are entitled for other people money and all those people with money did not earn their money and they must give it back to you…”

mnjg on July 27, 2012 at 11:15 PM

It’s not working any more except among the left lunatic fringe, at their cocktail parties and over $10 lattes where they are insulated from us regular folk.

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Exactly and the left wing liberals are the worst racists of all. Their goal is to keep blacks poor, uneducated, on drugs, destroyed by crimes, drugs, out of wedlock children, etc… so they remain totally hopeless and depending on liberals to give them handouts from the producers money… and in return the blacks must vote for them…

mnjg on July 27, 2012 at 11:23 PM

No, the problem isn’t racism; the problem is that Obama, having never EARNED success, doesn’t understand that other people may have earned things themselves.

He’s had it handed to him on a silver platter: expensive prep school in Hawaii, Ivy League schools despite mediocre grades (we know he graduated high school with a B- average), Law Review despite never writing anything of substance, a professorship without having published, political seats without having developed a platform or done the hard work of scrapping it up from the town level, a Presidential position without having distinguished himself in the Senate….

The average American does NOT have those opportunities. The average American who goes to college does it Sarah Palin style: work your way through, pay it by waitress jobs or gutting fish. The average American who gets into politics does it Sarah Palin style: town council, town Board, mayor, right on up if talented. The average American politician scraps for donations, door-knocks the entire district, fights for media time, and works his butt off to distinguish himself once in office. The average elected official writes more legislation than biographies.

So yeah, I can see where Obama is coming from: a place of ridiculous privilege that isn’t known outside of the 1% of the 1% – if even then.

Roxeanne de Luca on July 27, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Perhaps its more like Barack Obama is willing to blame whomever gives him the best chance and since like all libs he follows the path of least resistance, that means the usual suspect gets the finger.

Just one race has screwed up everything, right?

Speakup on July 27, 2012 at 11:42 PM

I’m in the US crapitol tonight. The quote is obviously taking it’s toll. I am watching the Olympics and there’s been a few Obama spots with him denying his “You didn’t build that” remark.
Keep burning that money BO.

diogenes on July 27, 2012 at 11:44 PM

“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him.” -Sun Tzu

See Also:‘If your opponent is commiting Seppuku, don’t interfere.’
(Of course, you could do both at the same time, and laugh at him while he’s commiting Seppuku. ….Just sayin’)

a5minmajor on July 27, 2012 at 11:45 PM

This has got to be a joke.

I can’t give you concrete examples of racism, but Republicans are racist so I’m sure they’re there.

RedCrow on July 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM

If the only motivation is racism, then any line selected from O’s remarks, and anything he has ever said, would do as well as “you didn’t build that”. Clearly even Obama does not think that is the case or he would not be sweating bullets.

Anominous on July 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM

What has it been, 16 days since the fateful comment? The Obama campaign is getting a little slow on the draw for the obligatory “you’re just racist” comeback.

Glenn Jericho on July 28, 2012 at 12:21 AM

These people have set race relations back 50 years. It’s sad.

My generation (born 1955), saw racism happen to blacks. We also saw segregation come about in the schools and other institutions. And you know what? We, as kids, didn’t care. Sure, the adults freaked out for awhile, but the kids for the most part just went on their merry way.
We played sports together, we graduated together, and some went to Vietnam and fought together.

All along though, were race hustlers that found out they could make a living on the sins of our fathers. Selling a story to their people of suffering at the hands of the man. That their failures weren’t simply a part of living, but of the heel of the man still pressing down on their throat. Malcom X, Jackson, Sharpton and dozens more hearing dog-whistles at every turn.

Fast forward a bit. Since the late 90′s we have lived in a nice neighborhood, with really good schools and good neighbors – mostly white with black, Indian and Hispanic families too. We have raised our kids together and are friends.

My daughter will be a senior in high school this year. For the first time ever, she is asking why some of the black kids at her school are calling her and her white friends racist. She wants to know what that means.

I was always somewhat proud of the fact that my generation had always had black friends and never treated them differently. Sure, cultural differences were there, but that’s just life. I honestly felt good about my 60 years here. Now, it looks like 1964 all over again.

Sadly, it looks like my daughter and her generation are going to have to start from scratch.

BacaDog on July 28, 2012 at 12:22 AM

There will be RIOTS in the streets….

…..or Black neighborhoods, of Hispanic communities, of Women being told that Romney won’t let them get birth control pills and wants them all barefoot and pregnant and polygamy made legal in the U.S.

…..IF that’s what Obama thinks is necessary to win re-election.

PappyD61 on July 28, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Obama is half Caucasian. Can’t we at least oppose half of his policies and actions without being considered racist?

ghostwalker1 on July 28, 2012 at 12:29 AM

So if we think that that lily-white 1/32 Cherokee Elizabeth Warren was also wrong when she made the same stupid statement about businesses moving goods along the roads “the rest of us paid for!”, we’re still racist?

/s

AZfederalist on July 28, 2012 at 12:32 AM

well, yes, barry’s racism does more than just irritate me but it is the marxism of these specific obama mouth droppings that makes them so truly repulsive.

one thing is clear about Dear Leader- he believes the damaged ideology that built the non stop faux racism meme that has dominated every aspect of the man, his election and his time in office-indeed has dominated the entire left and our culture for decades. barry and the ilk that raised him destroyed all the advances made by the civil rights movement. one wonders if the damage they have done to race relations can ever be repaired. without faux racism against whites and ginned up grievances based on this monstrosity, barry is nothing. and doesn’t the left know that.

so i guess, yeah, it really is the pungent aroma of the race hustling racism of the left which really is what irritates me every time barry or his teleprompter spew their their liz warren hand me down communist cliches.

mittens on July 28, 2012 at 12:39 AM

It takes an immeasurably Monumental IDIOT to begin a post like this with the words: “I’m tempted to agree,”…….and, by doing so, Quell the Outrage that SHOULD be emphasized in this irresponsible post!

williamg on July 28, 2012 at 1:17 AM

* Okay, so let’s assume that what he was saying was businesses were helped by government infrastructure and government services (like schools/teachers).

* And let’s assume the absurd notion that the businesses “didn’t build that” government infrastructure — that they never paid taxes contributing to these things.

So — two businesses right next to each other. One succeeds. The other fails. What caused the difference? It couldn’t be all the government stuff, because that’s about the only thing the two businesses had in common.

So either one was SMARTER, or WORKED HARDER, or GOT LUCKY, or SOMETHING. But it wasn’t who “built that government stuff” that made the difference.

The Rogue Tomato on July 28, 2012 at 1:24 AM

the logic required to get at this level of interpretation makes one have to suspend all disbelief…….

liberals. if this is what you consider “intellectual” then ya’ll are hurting. Bring the ointment on election day, because the case of chap ass that youre going to get is going to be epic.

ted c on July 28, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Jon Stewart demolished the left with the whole “race card has been maxed out” routine in August 2010. We are now approaching 2 years later and the leftists just can’t help themselves. The only thing left to see in November is who will be this years Peter Jennings “The people of America threw a temper tantrum proved they are racists tonight.”

txhsmom on July 28, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Oboobi has about as much in common with the afro-american experience as an immigrant coming to America 50 years ago — next to none. On the other hand, that mulatto has generations in common with the colonial whites. By runt of coming from Africa, either his forebears managed to escape the slave traders by outrunning them or were in fact traders themselves. Things that make you go hmmm.

AH_C on July 28, 2012 at 1:57 AM

williamg on July 28, 2012 at 1:17 AM

This.

cicerone on July 28, 2012 at 2:06 AM

I’m glad they’re burning out the race card.

The more they abuse it the more it burns… eventually it will be utterly without meaning.

This is healing… through cauterization.

Karmashock on July 28, 2012 at 2:27 AM

I see this, as the last gasp of the dying race pimping industry.. by using the “racism is inescapable because deep down all (white) Americans are racist no matter what. they have thoroughly disarmed themselves..

Nobody is listening anymore..

They have so thoroughly alienated white Americans who’s only crime was to disagree with Obama’s politics, competence,.. that any more cries of racism will be largely ignored. What’s the point America…

whatever we do.. or do not do.. we’ll be branded as the evil racists by leftists who are losing the argument and are completely desperate to win.. so they throw down a tanker of gasoline and grab some matches.. if they can’t rule..

they’ll see the country burn..

The thing is, we don’t want it to.. and the sane minorities don’t either.. Oh.. when Obama looses.. I’m sure Calypso Louie and Sharpton will grab the torches, and burn what black neighborhoods they can… screaming they was robbed of their president by racists.. and random people who happen to simply be unlucky enough to be in the wrong place will be beaten or killed by thuggish mobs looking to punish Da Man..

and the same voices who fanned the flames of racism and paranoia will suddenly say nothing…

Romney will have the chance few other presidents do, to be a calming, healing voice when others are calling for blood. Mitt may actually be the right m,an for this first presidency post Obama.. a non threatening, soothing voice.. All the left wing insanity aside.. nobody will every say seriously Mitt is a firebrand and bomb thrower..

MSNBC be damned, even they haven’t been able to sell that..

and only the most bitterly insane new black panther will say Mitt is a bad man… I say this as a friend,.. black America has got to see Obama not as an icon, but as a man and judge him on that basis, MLK was a great American, a martyred hero.. Obama is just a failed president, he isn’t your community, his failure isn’t yours, but his own.. seeing him as this personification is only holding you back, and driving a wedge between you and Americans who just want the best for this country, and seeing Obama as wanting only the best for Obama is not a crime… it’s reality..

one you would apply to any white politician..

See him as that, just a flawed politician and we can get back to rebuilding this country together.

It’s the inability of the left and black America to unplug their robot idol which is driving the races apart.. He’s a man, a failed president, we’ve survived them before.. Propping up this one just because of his race.. that is wrong… wrong and can only leave you bitter, by your own doing.

mark81150 on July 28, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Look, apparently we got really racist after we weren’t so racist when we elected Obama in the first place?

Or

We had to pass the bill elect the guy to find out what’s in it to find out how racist we are?

Yes. Our country is daft and all I can do hopefully is vote for Mitt Romney to stem the tide.

To be honest, after Roberts pulled that crap I got even less hopeful than I was.

Sherman1864 on July 28, 2012 at 5:01 AM

It’s always the same old mantra from the left:

1. Pay up.
2. Shut up.
3. You’re a racist.
4. Let’s change the subject (but… I answered that question).

The libtards simply have nothing else to say.

Mojave Mark on July 28, 2012 at 5:16 AM

Chaits conclusion that Obama wasn’t referring to business when using the word ‘that’ presumes the audience does not know what ‘that’ means. Actually that is a marker word for a nine month or so old baby. The pronoun refers to the nominative IMMEDIATELY referenced before ‘that’ is used. It is a marker for a child moving from simple nouns to abstract thinking. Either Obama was referring to ‘business’ or he does not have the speaking ability of a nine month old child.

pat on July 27, 2012 at 8:16 PM

If one is to believe the Obama apologists, then Obama’s reference to “roads and bridges” was what he was referring to when he said “you didn’t build that.” I think my 12th grade English teacher would have smacked my hand for not correctly stating “you didn’t build those.”

Guess Ms. Smith was a racist, huh?

BigAlSouth on July 28, 2012 at 7:32 AM

So if you just listen to the man, clearly hear his words and how his sentences bolster a viewpoint… you aren’t hearing him correctly.

If you try to put a context that is not contained within the speech, say that Obama is speaking in a coded set of phrases that are race specific… then you can’t hear him correctly as he isn’t able to make himself intelligible to a wider audience.

Thus either he is a socialistic commie or he is an incoherent imbecile unable to parse a sentence and communicate a coherent set of thoughts.

That is what the Left is leaving me with, via all the attempts to re-frame what Obama said instead of just listening to the whole thing. Since Obama is not a drooling idiot or an imbecile, I’m left with him being a socialistic commie. But if the Left wants to keep on trying to convince me that Obama doesn’t even know what he is saying, speaks in code language or tongues, and can’t get a coherent message across without having it constantly re-framed… why go right ahead! I’m willing to listen to the Left start to denigrate their own candidate down from super-awesome Messiah to drooling idiot and imbecile. I won’t vote for either side of that coin, though, but I’m happy to hear the argument from the Left that he isn’t so super-awesome Unicorn Riding Messiah the Lightbringer and, instead, is just a guy who needs a bib.

ajacksonian on July 28, 2012 at 7:36 AM

I am now sick and tired beyond all comprehension of certified idiots claiming that any criticism, ANY CRITCISM of Barack Obama is to automatically be stamped as RACIST, regardless if the man is right or wrong. In the case of his crass comment about businesses not being built by one’s own initiative, Barack Obama was CLEARLY WRONG!

I am also sick and tired of Barack Obama HIDING BEHIND THE RACE CARD!

Do you think there is any possibility he will criticize anyone for saying that anyone who criticizes him for making this comment is to be considered a racist? Of course not! That is because Barack Obama is not only a narcissist par excellence, he is also a COWARD!

Sorry if I sound so angry, but this is what happens when I post something before I have my morning coffee!

pilamaye on July 28, 2012 at 7:49 AM

If we disagree with jug ears…it’s because we’re racist.

What if we agree with conservative blacks like Allan Keyes, Herman Cain, LCOL West?

Let me guess…that doesn’t count because they are “Uncle Toms”….?

We are so F—cked.

SwabJockey on July 28, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Baloney. Obama’s deepest political fear was being seen for what he really is: a Marxist, race-obsessed, Aff*rmative Act*on stooge, who was never remotely qualified to be President of the United States. (It’s just a coincidence that that description also applies to many “traditional” black politicians, like Jesse Jackson, Sr., Jesse Jr., etc.).

AZCoyote on July 28, 2012 at 7:56 AM

No AllahP, that’s just proof that we conservative Americans are bigots who hate not just (half) blacks like Obama, but faux Cherokees too.

If Elizabeth Warren had looked more like us — you know, pale-skinned and blue-eyed — then we wouldn’t have hated on her Marxist message so much.

AZCoyote on July 28, 2012 at 8:03 AM

well, yes, barry BAMSTAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DA MAN BAMMMMYYY BABYYYYYYYY!!!!! LOVE YA BARY OL BUDDY OLPALLL!!!! YAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

one thing is clear about Dear Leader- he believes ideologiocy , barry is DA MANNN!! YAHHHHHHH!!!!!
mitt on July 28, 2012 AM

cableguy615 on July 28, 2012 at 8:20 AM

There is really one retort to their childish racist accusation.

Why are you trying so hard to cover up your lack of “content” in your “character.”

Don L on July 28, 2012 at 8:33 AM

The White folks hate the Black folks,
The Black folks hate the White folks,
To hate all but the right folks,
Is American as Apple Pie.
Tom Lehrer

I think that, after November, our next President is going to actually have to be responsible for what he says and how he says it. There will be no easy “you’re a racist” cop-outs for Mitt Romney. Of course he could always break out the Mormon Card!!

bflat879 on July 28, 2012 at 8:36 AM

How wrong you are. The reaction to Warren was clearly an expression of hatred towards American Indians!

MJBrutus on July 28, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Dude, careful with that weapons grade snark. Someone could get hurt.

Count to 10 on July 28, 2012 at 8:44 AM

He said it. Identifying Marxism for what it is, is not RAAACIIIST,

kingsjester on July 28, 2012 at 9:01 AM

That these liberal nitwits immediately leap to the ‘racist’ argument simply proves – again – that it is *they* who are racists who simply can’t see beyond the color of Obama’s skin.

No matter how ‘smart’ or ‘ambitious’ they are (ahem), they’re still overtly, unquestonably racist – in their core liberal beliefs and in what they say and project on others.

Midas on July 28, 2012 at 9:06 AM

TeaNami 2!!!

November 6th.

Sweep him and his wife back to Chicago.

PappyD61 on July 28, 2012 at 9:23 AM

TeaNami 2!!!!

November 6th, sweep him and his wife back to Chicago.

PappyD61 on July 28, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Problems with the Internet here in Possum Holler, this mernin. Sorry bouts that repeat post.

Did I mentions Teanami?

:-)

PappyD61 on July 28, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Obama is a lying idiot.

This is based on the facts of his tenure as El Presidente’

workingclass artist on July 28, 2012 at 9:30 AM

“black dialect” ???

Is that supposed to be bad or good?
Me thinks the author is a racist.

I am thinking that Obama’s “you didn’t build that”
was in a “socialist dialect”….

;-)

albill on July 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Wait, Allah thinks Chait is smarter than “garden variety liberals” because he said any disagreement with Obama is racist? WHAAAAA????? I believe it proves Chait’s intellectual vacancy and quite frankly his stunning stupidity!

Capitalist Infidel on July 28, 2012 at 9:57 AM

“Mitt Romney’s plan of blatantly lying about playing tape of President Obama’s “you didn’t build that” speech is clearly drawing blood.”

Akzed on July 28, 2012 at 10:05 AM