CNN President resigns: ‘CNN needs new thinking’

posted at 2:01 pm on July 27, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

It’s been a rough year for CNN in the ratings:

After several months of bad ratings news for CNN, official quarterly numbers confirm that the cable news network has hit 21-year lows in both viewers and adults 25-to-54.

The primetime lineup of Anderson Cooper 360 and Piers Morgan, specifically, saw big drops during the prime 8-10 p.m. hours that have averages down to 446,000 total viewers and a mere 129,000 with adults 25-54. Those numbers mark 35 and 41 percent drops from the second quarter in 2011.
Daily ratings stumbled to their lowest in more than a decade (2001), with 319,000 the average total viewers and 129,000 adults 25-54 — 35 and 45 percent drops, respectively.

Now, on the heels of the network’s infamous misreporting of the Supreme Court’s ruling on Obamacare, which stood uncorrected for 13 minutes, CNN President Jim Walton will leave the company at the end of the year. (I should add Fox News also jumped the gun on the ruling, but had corrected it much faster.)

His note to staff:

After more than 30 years at this company and nearly 10 years as the leader of this great news organization, I have decided to leave my role at CNN on December 31, 2012.

For some time, I’ve been talking with Phil Kent about wanting to make a change, and he supports my decision. I’ve told Phil that I will cooperate with any transition timeline that he and Time Warner want to implement. Phil requested that I work out the year and be available after that if needed, which I’ve agreed to do.

I am proud of what we have accomplished together over these last 10 years – innovative programming, the development of great talent in front of and behind the cameras, expansion in digital and mobile, significant investment and expansion in international coverage, financial success and, most importantly, great and trusted journalism. Thank you for the role you have played in our successes.

CNN needs new thinking. That starts with a new leader who brings a different perspective, different experiences and a new plan, one who will build on our great foundation and will commit to seeing it through. And I’m ready for a change. I have interests to explore and I want to give myself time to do it.

The next few months will be filled with election news and other important events that will require all of our focus to report the news with the quality and expertise the world expects of CNN. I look forward to working alongside each of you, as I have over the past 30-plus years, to do just that.

Jim

Walton started with the network in 1981, and during his tenure, the number of panelists on election-night coverage increased 4,000 percent. Oh, I kid.

More on Walton’s history with the company, during which he had an impact on shaping the business of 24-hour news from near its very beginning:

Walton, 54, began working at CNN in 1981 shortly after it started. His first job involved ripping paper scripts off wire machines and operating the TelePrompter for news anchors.

Jeff Bewkes, Time Warner chairman and CEO, said Walton took over an underperforming company in 2003 and tripled earnings, delivering an annual growth of 15 percent. Roughly half of the company’s earnings come through subscription fees from cable and satellite companies, and they have been growing steadily worldwide.
“Jim has been instrumental in growing the business into the financial powerhouse it has become, while establishing the brand as the worldwide leader for television news,” Bewkes said. “I respect him personally and professionally and support the decision he and Phil Kent have reached.”

Exit question (Allahpundit™): If Walton’s era brought us Prime Time w/ Client 9, what treats will “new thinking” bring us?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Cable TV?……….

sssssssssoooooo 1985.

PappyD61 on July 27, 2012 at 2:04 PM

CNN needs integrity, not thinking.

bayview on July 27, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Story time w/ Jerry Sandusky?

Kataklysmic on July 27, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Communist News Network is suffering ratings drops in America?

Get out of here, I find that so hard to believe!

ButterflyDragon on July 27, 2012 at 2:04 PM

gee, I guess it was too much to ask for Soledad O’brainless
to get sh*tcanned also??

ToddPA on July 27, 2012 at 2:05 PM

CNN needs to grow up.

Schadenfreude on July 27, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Yes, less liberal thinking. How about unbiased reporting. That’s a good start. Haven’t watched since late ’80′s or early nineties.

msupertas on July 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM

The NYT is not doing good financially. Yesterday showed them in the dumpster.

Schadenfreude galore!

Schadenfreude on July 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM

‘CNN needs new thinking’

It would help if they had anchors who could actually think.

Yeah, I’m looking at you Soledad O’Brien.

Flora Duh on July 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM

CNN should re-run Soledad O’Brien’s Why Do All Whites Hate All Blacks And Want Them To Die? series.

That’ll get some MSNBC folks to watch. Well, it’s a start!

OhEssYouCowboys on July 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I saw this on Drudge a couple of minutes ago and I thought it said “CNN: President Resigns”. Much to my disappointment, he was talking about the president of CNN.

joekenha on July 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Bring back Sports Tonight at 11 pm.

22044 on July 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM

CNN needs to tack to the hard right, for ratings.
Scores of stations parrot the standard leftist lines, but Fox is almost alone in being center right like the American people. According to Gallup 42% of Americans classify themselves as conservative, while only 21% call themselves liberal. Why is the media the exact opposite (liberal)? It certainly is not based on economics. There is great room for conservative media. And the liberal side is crowded to the gills.

anotherJoe on July 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM

CNN needs new thinking.

No sh1t, Sherlock.

Start by replacing your entire staff.

The Rogue Tomato on July 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Maybe they should hire Keith Olbermann…

PatriotRider on July 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I guess obama wasn’t happy with Walton’s job performance.

Pork-Chop on July 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM

“CNN needs new thinking.”

What is this ‘CNN‘ that you speak of…?

Seven Percent Solution on July 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM

MKHammer- big fan, but writing “Allahpundit^TM” like that makes it seem like “Allahpundit” is the thing that is trademarked rather than the exit question.

DavidW on July 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Maybe Time will go the way of Newsweek soon.

This is a BIG Dummy!

Schadenfreude on July 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM

C ommunist
N ews
N etwork

Schadenfreude on July 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Maybe Rupert will buy CNN.

….liberal heads to explode in 3…2…..1

exsanguine on July 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I am proud of what we have accomplished together over these last 10 years

Uh…yeah….so that’s why you’re leaving?

As for CNN programming – garbage in, garbage out.

GarandFan on July 27, 2012 at 2:09 PM

A return to Larry King?

Bitter Clinger on July 27, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I would think unbiased, factual reporting, would be a great start for “new thinking”. I may not always like what I hear, but I prefer my news without a slant, and definetly not one with a leftward slant!

seymour01 on July 27, 2012 at 2:09 PM

How about just showing old Warner Brothers cartoons 24/7 ?

It would be much more enlightening and informative.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on July 27, 2012 at 2:10 PM

the networks you claim to hate the most, CNN et al are the ones giving them the largest platforms.

libfreeordie on January 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM

rogerb on July 27, 2012 at 2:10 PM

joekenha on July 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bitter Clinger on July 27, 2012 at 2:11 PM

the fact that they thought they were the moderates might be the first problem to fix.

Chubbs65 on July 27, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Hey, that could be their new slogan: Less Stinking, New Thinking

The Rogue Tomato on July 27, 2012 at 2:11 PM

More Larry King?

JPeterman on July 27, 2012 at 2:11 PM

That would do it for me. No entertainment and celebrity news, and no cheer leading, projection,posturing, protection and lying for a single political ideology.

hawkeye54 on July 27, 2012 at 2:13 PM

CNN’s situation does not have any connection to the self-censorship of their coverage from Iraq to keep Saddam Hussein happy.

Socratease on July 27, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on July 27, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I’ll watch it, if they show Laurel & Hardy, Columbo, The Midnight Special and Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert re-runs.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 27, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Indeed. I doubt the thinking will be any different. Just more “progressive”. If that’s possible.

totherightofthem on July 27, 2012 at 2:14 PM

As Joe Friday never said…”Just the Facts, Mam”

seymour01 on July 27, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I’d guess the only direction would be up. You know what would be a nice idea? I think someone, maybe CNN, should try a straight news delivery with not bias one way or the other. Their resources around the world are usually superior, maybe they should try for journalism. Crazy talk!!!

Cindy Munford on July 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM

joekenha on July 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Dream on! :-)

Then again, can you imagine a “President Biden?”

Somehow, I don’t think that would be much of an improvement.

UltimateBob on July 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM

‘CNN needs new thinking’

…yeah, how about STOPPING acting like nothing but a bunch of d-cRAT stooges and puppets pushing nothing but socialist LIES, MISREPRESENTATIONS, SLIME AGAINST CONSERVATIVES, AND LEFTIST PROPAGANDA and instead actually tell THE TRUTH and THE FACTS ?

TeaPartyNation on July 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM

‘CNN needs new thinking’

FIFY

Marcola on July 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I see a “new” ensemble progam in the works!

Eugene Robinson will hold Court with Rev. J Wright, and
Louis Pharoahkhan to discus the “saga” of being Black and
Oppressed in White America….and just like “Huckabee”
they will have entertainment….”Poet Common”

ToddPA on July 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Msdnc 2.0

cmsinaz on July 27, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Hottest political tweets of the week with Anthony Weiner?????

ted c on July 27, 2012 at 2:17 PM

…well? Wonder why? Look who they hire!…I’m just amazed, MSNBC can afford to even be on the air!…if they drifted to the right a little in their ‘presentations’ and their ratings followed…you think a light bulb might go off?

KOOLAID2 on July 27, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Here’s a new idea for a talk show: Bill Cosby and Hitler.

The Rogue Tomato on July 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM

CNN needs new thinking.

Echo chamber gotcha down?

u sad bro?

ted c on July 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Crazy talk!!!

Cindy Munford on July 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Crazy talk…I must be off my meds again…thinking CNN would actually report the news.

seymour01 on July 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I’m kinda hoping for:

The Jesse Jackson / Al Sharpton “Tolerance Hour”

Nothing funnier than race-baiting, mealy-motuthed, anti-semetic, fake-reverend-hucksters telling us how to behave.

It would certainly be a hit with their regular viewers – and would be guilty-pleasure-comedic-relief-viewing for the rest of the world – resulting in a ratings bonanza.

Tim_CA on July 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM

The following would be a ratings bonanza for CNN:

Hire Olbermann and Maher, and make them CNN’s version of Huntleigh and Brinkley. And, at the end of each broadcast, have them sign-off – by french kissing each other.

The Commies of America would flock to CNN. Flock, I tell ya! A ratings bonanza!

OhEssYouCowboys on July 27, 2012 at 2:19 PM

That middle-of-the-road thing isn’t working. Time to get someone with fresh liberal ideas and move to the left–where all the fame and big money are.

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 2:19 PM

129,000 viewers in the target age demographic? Wow.

So, what would that nimber be without all the TVs in airport terminals? Triple digits?

iurockhead on July 27, 2012 at 2:19 PM

[Huntley]

OhEssYouCowboys on July 27, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Here’s a new idea for a talk show: Bill Cosby and Hitler.

The Rogue Tomato on July 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM

No “Whose Line” fans here, I guess…

The Rogue Tomato on July 27, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Smart Ailes ate theri lunch. Period.

Schadenfreude on July 27, 2012 at 2:20 PM

CNN International is a lot better than the USA version, which is not saying much. Finland doesn’t have a 24 hour news network like other countries, we get 30 minutes, of that 5 dedicated to weather and then there is a sports and entertainment reports separately.

pabo on July 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM

They could start by giving Solinoid O’Brien a non-speaking role, maybe in heels and a white one-piece.

DanMan on July 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM

CNN is good when big news is on.

otherwise the other 2 networks with their opinon shows rule the roost.

gerrym51 on July 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Hire Olbermann and Maher, …have them sign-off – by french kissing each other.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 27, 2012 at 2:19 PM

On that note I have to leave and find my medications…strong, very strong medications to push that image out of my brain!!!

seymour01 on July 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I watched CNN in the ’80s when I had no choice. CNN started dropping as soon as there was competition. I supposed they can be given credit for being the first cable 24 hours news channel, but I only watched shows that had conservatives on the panel.

lea on July 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM

CNN needs to tack to the hard right, for ratings.

I realize on afterthought that’s not going happen, despite economics, until leftist econut Ted Turner expires.
“Global warming will kill most of us, and turn the rest of us into cannibals.” –Ted Turner
But global warming is trumped up bunk. Its two foundations were 1) the hockey stick graph that falsely maintained that the current temperatures are extraordinary (they’re not; there’s nothing wrong with the climate), and 2) a posited causal correlation between CO2 & temps. See and share this video that succinctly and convincingly debunks the false ipcc claims on CO2.

anotherJoe on July 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM

pabo on July 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM

5 minutes dedicated to saying … it’s snowing?

;O)

OhEssYouCowboys on July 27, 2012 at 2:23 PM

an Anthony Weiner talk show?? just sayin’…

jimver on July 27, 2012 at 2:23 PM

They could do a spinoff of the show “Say Yes to the Dress” with
Anderson Cooper and his other half shopping for a Wedding Dress at that place in Atlanta.

ToddPA on July 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Love ya Mary Katherine, but you really need a sub-title.

besser tot als rot on July 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM

an Anthony Weiner talk show?? just sayin’…

jimver on July 27, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Anthony’s Weiner vs. Barney’s Frank

The Rogue Tomato on July 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM

seymour01 on July 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Oh man, don’t submit anything to your insurance company. I’ll cover it.

Thanks for the laugh.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Faux News is just as bad. They will be biting the dust before too much longer.

air_up_there on July 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Lots of pink slips to follow.

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM

CNN International and BBC International were the only English-speaking channels at th hotel on my recent trip to Europe. CNN sucked with the prevailing theme of “enough of us telling you why the US should be hated, why don’t you tell us why you hate America.” And of course, the Jews.

Happy Nomad on July 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM

KOOLAID2 on July 27, 2012 at 2:17 PM

tell you how, Comcast ripping off its customers.. that’s how an anomaly like MSNBC can exist in the current (already nauseatingly leftist) media landscape…

jimver on July 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM

How about they just report the news and not interject their left-wing smear? How about they stop trying to change the world and just report what is happening, just the facts not invective? How about they hire less left-wing hacks? While we are at it how about all the MSM doing this? How about teaching this in journalism school. Speaking of journalism schools like Columbia, is the new media spelling doom for that particular degree?

neyney on July 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM

KOOLAID2 on July 27, 2012 at 2:17 PM

MSNBC’s “losses” aren’t really losses losses. They’re NBC’s in-kind political contributions, actually, to Obama and the DNC, plus NBC gets to write off these “losses” off their income taxes.

TXUS on July 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM

The following would be a ratings bonanza for CNN:

The Commies of America would flock to CNN. Flock, I tell ya! A ratings bonanza!

OhEssYouCowboys on July 27, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I’m over here in Tulsa, you’re on a roll today. Go Pokes.

msupertas on July 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM

“….primetime lineup of Anderson Cooper 360 and Piers Morgan saw big drops during the prime 8-10 p.m. hours…down [in] total viewers and… adults 25-54. Those numbers mark 35 and 41 percent drops from the second quarter in 2011…”

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahah

socalcon on July 27, 2012 at 2:28 PM

As soon as Obama made his hard left turn in early ’09, I told some peers it would be a great time for just one other major network to navigate right. All failed to do so, now look at them waddle in mediocrity. It’s there for the taking with someone who has a brain, but more evidence they do not.

hillsoftx on July 27, 2012 at 2:28 PM

And sorry I misspelled your name. Oops.

besser tot als rot on July 27, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Anthony’s Weiner vs. Barney’s Frank

The Rogue Tomato on July 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Perfect Team for CNN.

suggested show name:

Weiner and Bigbuns

suggested marketing tagline:

Probing the News

Tim_CA on July 27, 2012 at 2:29 PM

DanMan on July 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Yea…err…I don’t think she likes anything white.

msupertas on July 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Anthony’s Weiner vs. Barney’s Frank

The Rogue Tomato on July 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM

You owe me a new monitor and keyboard. *LOL*

Charlie Brown wisdom: Never sip coffee when someone from HA is making a great joke.

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I’m over here in Tulsa, you’re on a roll today. Go Pokes.

msupertas on July 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Great to have some fellow Okies on HotAir! J.E. Dyer is an Okie, once removed, from your neck of the woods.

Now, if only the fall would get here, so I can start walking my dog, again.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Story time w/ Jerry Sandusky?

Kataklysmic on July 27, 2012 at 2:04 PM

..you’re just..despicable!

:-D

The War Planner on July 27, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Yea…err…I don’t think she likes anything white.

msupertas on July 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Ha! Excelllllllllllllllent!

OhEssYouCowboys on July 27, 2012 at 2:31 PM

CNN”s product is dreadful: it is boring, not newsy-enough, too politically-oriented, too leftist, it’s anchors are not credible. Any semi-intelligent adult could figure that out for themselves. It seems that CNN does not change because it CNN does not want to change, as they keep making the same “mistakes” over and over again. CNN International is even worse, if that’s possible to say.

The news business, whether local or national or cable, suffers from incestuousness. The same people, the same mindset, the same expectations.

Any solutions? Cover news that is meaningful to the daily struggles of the viewers: money, economy, health, lifestyle, children, science/technology. Invest the coverage with intelligence and respect for the viewer. The news business is infected with consultants whose First Rule of News is: keep the consultancy—by advocating constant change and attention-grabbing trivialities. If everyone else is diving for the lowest denominator, it can be a winning strategy to be a little uplifting. Fox News had the formula for a while, but has really slipped backward over the years. I’m disappointed in Roger Ailes; he’s capable of much more than he’s shown in the last 6 or 7 years.

Soca Guy is a former tv/news executive, local news. I get my news from credible sources on the internet, and for fun, read Hotair and Lucianne Goldberg’s site. Oh, and Mark Steyn for the rapturous fun of reading witty English.

socaguy on July 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Anthony’s Weiner vs. Barney’s Frank

The Rogue Tomato on July 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM

aww, how lovely…and plausible too, we all know that Bawney will be available given that he is retiring soon :-)…

jimver on July 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM

You owe me a new monitor and keyboard. *LOL*

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I still like the combo Bill Cosby and Hitler.

The Rogue Tomato on July 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM

an Anthony Weiner talk show?? just sayin’…

jimver on July 27, 2012 at 2:23 PM

It was only a matter of time before someone had to whip out the old Weiner card. ;-)

TXUS on July 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM

CNN needs integrity, not thinking.
bayview on July 27, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Actually, either one would be a huge improvement.

logis on July 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM

The “Arab Street” cries…

Strike Hornet on July 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM

MORE NAKED DEMOCRAT ADVOCACY, STAT!

Good Lt on July 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM

CNN has horrific politics coverage. But they do amazing investigative journalism. They should focus on that and leave the 24 hour crap to MSNBC and Fox.

libfreeordie on July 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM

CNN would douse Fox if their primetime lineup was:

8:00 Breitbart News Hour with Joel Pollock and Dana Loesch
9:00 Shucky Ducky! with Herman Cain
10:00 Eric Harley and Gary McNamara

Greek Fire on July 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Anthony’s Weiner vs. Barney’s Frank

The Rogue Tomato on July 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM

And call it, “Weiner’s and Frank’s”.

TXUS on July 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM

an Anthony Weiner talk show?? just sayin’…

jimver on July 27, 2012 at 2:23 PM

It’ll be small talk, I’m sure.

Liam on July 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Story time w/ Jerry Sandusky?

Kataklysmic on July 27, 2012 at 2:04 PM

more outrageously ‘bed times stories with Sanduski’…

jimver on July 27, 2012 at 2:35 PM

DanMan on July 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Now you’re talking.

Here’s an idea: A weekly show featuring Soledad at the shooting range dressed in a bikini and heels, demonstrating the maintenance and proper use of various firearms. It would bolster her credibility and their ratings would go through the roof.

Put it on at 8:00 PM Eastern and no one would ever watch The O’Reilly Factor again.

There ya go, CNN, I just saved your network. You’re welcome in advance.

UltimateBob on July 27, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Anthony’s Weiner vs. Barney’s Frank

The Rogue Tomato on July 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM

On second thought, I think c0ck fights are illegal in the USA.

The Rogue Tomato on July 27, 2012 at 2:36 PM

libfreeordie on July 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Hilarious.

Can we keep her?

(btw…has CNN even acknowledged F&F yet?…..just curious)

Tim_CA on July 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Anthony’s Weiner vs. Barney’s Frank

The Rogue Tomato on July 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Just a couple of dicks. Brought to you by CNN, the leader in news. [insert Alex Haley voice]

OhEssYouCowboys on July 27, 2012 at 2:38 PM

On second thought, I think c0ck fights are illegal in the USA.

The Rogue Tomato on July 27, 2012 at 2:36 PM