Video: London mayor swipes at Romney at Olympics rally for criticizing UK’s preparation

posted at 5:21 pm on July 26, 2012 by Allahpundit

If you’d asked me last week how I saw Mitt’s big foreign policy trip playing out, having him name-checked as a naysaying stooge before a huge crowd at the start of the Olympics — by a Tory, no less — would not have popped to mind. It’s like a scene from a lost “Naked Gun” movie in which Frank Drebin runs for president.

Watch the quickie clip below from last night’s NBC interview to see what caused the kerfuffle. The word that got the British press hopping today is “disconcerting.” Said a pissy David Cameron about Romney’s Olympics stint at Salt Lake City, “It’s easier if you hold an Olympic Games in the middle of nowhere.” (Upon hearing that, SLC’s mayor offered to get Cameron a map.) The hard-left Guardian quotes one senior British source as saying, “What a total shocker. We are speechless.” The Telegraph’s beating him up too:

Mitt Romney is perhaps the only politician who could start a trip that was supposed to be a charm offensive by being utterly devoid of charm and mildly offensive…

Not once have I heard him [in his stump speech] praise Britain or extol the special relationship he now belatedly trumpets. He even reprised his dislike of the NHS shortly before leaving for these shores of benighted, yellow-toothed natives who spend half their lives waiting in hospital, having tried as governor of Massachusetts to ensure that everyone in his state, as in Britain, had access to health care.

His current pledge to “revive” ties between the US and Britain sounds suspiciously like a talking point drummed up in a policy meeting and designed to differentiate himself from President Barack Obama for domestic purposes.

Romney’s since walked back his comments but the wet cement of this narrative is already turning dry. You’ll see three reactions on the right to all of this, I suspect. One: Who cares? It won’t cost Romney a single vote. As lefty Nate Silver put it, “[Doubtful] that Romney will carry Hertfordshire after this Olympics gaffe.” Two: Romney was right. Watch his comments again. He’s clearly been paying attention to British preparations from the unique perspective of a guy who’s had to deal with all of it before. Even Piers Morgan felt obliged to concede his points on CNN this afternoon. Fleet Street’s shooting the messenger here. Three: Why, Mitt, why? The point of the trip is to draw a contrast with The One’s oafish insistence on insulting the British after he took office, from removing the bust of Churchill in the Oval Office to this immortal moment of narcissistic idiocy. Romney’s going to restore the “special relationship” and his first step in doing so is by gladhanding every Brit in sight. (He even mentioned the Churchill bust today.) It’s the easiest diplomatic task imaginable. And yet, somehow, when Brian Williams tossed him a softball about whether British preparations looked okay, the executive/consultant within couldn’t resist a few criticisms. Baffling. This week is nothing but a big photo op, yet somehow it already involves Boris Johnson sneering at “a guy called Mitt Romney” at an Olympics rally. Good lord.

This wasn’t his only gaffe today either, but thanks to Johnson, this is the one that’ll end up in rotation on CNN and MSNBC.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 7

Honestly, how do you think we would react if some Limey came over here and started assessing our readiness? We would be pretty bent out of shape, unless they directed it at Obama. Then, it would be funny.

AllahsNippleHair on July 26, 2012 at 6:16 PM

We don’t hold the Olympics in Dearbornistan.

VorDaj on July 26, 2012 at 6:19 PM

“– More gold, silver and bronze medals than you would need to bail out Greece and Spain together!”

Heh.

Axe on July 26, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Well, tell it to the Brits. They’re the ones who are outraged.

As example, if I visit a neighbor who is also a Leftist, and she asks me to comment on whether or not her kitchen is well-organized, I’m not about to make a critical comment. I would first try to find some common ground. My long-term goal would be to establish a relationship if possible, and to get to know her as a person.

Now if the Leftist neighbor made a derogatory statement about Christians, then I would disagree and tell her why. Still, however, I would have long-term goals of, if possible, maintaining the relationship.

That’s what I meant by speaking directly on issues that warrant it, and being nice about secondary stuff.

INC on July 26, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Only the British press could take it to that level with a straight face.

Go RBNY on July 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM

No kidding…and if they did not have this to make an issue of, they would find something else.

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:20 PM

this from a country where it takes 5 years to get a knee replaced. from a doctor that doesnt speak english.

t8stlikchkn on July 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM

It was an unforced and very public error by Mitt. He needs to roll with it and move on.

He seems to have united the UK public… not easy.

lexhamfox on July 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Oh my! This is what happens when someone who is missing diplomacy skills opens their mouth. I hope Romney is not so thin skinned
that he couldn’t help compare HIS olympic management skills to
London’s, finding theirs lacking.

Then again, there is the “Palin isn’t invited to speak at the convention”, either because Fox won’t let her (proven to be untrue) or she will rock the place and take away from the annointing of Mitt (very much true).

Hopefully Romney will be elected and hopefully he will help fix
the economy. I think he is a numbers guy who could do that.
However, with his advisers running every rumor, online article,
MSNBC, etc. at him all day long, the flip flopping will
be like a fish out of water. Who knows what we will get.

I have resorted to prayer.

Amjean on July 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM

The rest of the Anglosphere seem to be really sensitive about remarks made by Americans. If a British Prime Minister had said the same exact thing about Olympic games in the US it would hardly be news.

Mark1971 on July 26, 2012 at 6:13 PM

The British are just acting like a bunch of overly sensitive ninnies right now, from the cabbies to the police to the politicians. There is nothing that can be done to fix things at this late hour… you can’t delay the Olympics. The Brits just need to put on their game faces and deal with the next month’s chaos. Its not like anything can be changed at this point.

Lawdawg86 on July 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Yep. How do you say ‘submit’ in the queen’s English?

AllahsNippleHair on July 26, 2012 at 6:18 PM

AllahsNippleHair:Um….Allah Snack Bar!!(sarc)

Hey,overlooked it,lol…..`PEONS`:)

canopfor on July 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Well for starters, I doubt if anyone here would ask them for their opinion and then get stupid when they gave it.

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:18 PM

So when Mexican President Calderon said something about gun control we were all just fine with that? I don’t remember it that way?

sharrukin on July 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Salahuddin on July 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Maybe he should move to Somalia, right?
kim roy on July 26, 2012 at 5:52 PM

lololol

tacodawn on July 26, 2012 at 6:23 PM

The man is stark raving mad.

VorDaj on July 26, 2012 at 6:12 PM

True. The only thing is that Ken Livingstone was a muzzie lover through and through.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 6:24 PM

INC on July 26, 2012 at 6:20 PM

They asked him a question and he answered it honestly. Maybe he should have lied..but it is not bad manners to give an honest answer to a question..and btw, he did not just criticize them. Most of what he said was very complimentary. I mean really…all of this is over one word...disconcerting. It seems totally overblown to me.

I can tell you this, if I had a guest come to my home and I ask them a question and they answered it by giving me their honest opinion. I would not spit in their eye and act as if they were personally attacking me. Talk about bad manners.

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Meanwhile the Brits have their own problems, like not know which flag to display when North Korea is playing:

itsspideyman on July 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Well, tell it to the Brits. They’re the ones who are outraged.

This is terrible actually. Mitt is undermining our relationship with one of this country’s most valuable allies. What will happen if the Brits decide to ban the filming of 007 films in London?

And there was so much right-wing outrage over Obama’s misspoken insults directed at Poland. Funny how quickly the attitude changes.

bayam on July 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM

He seems to have united the UK public… not easy.

lexhamfox on July 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I was surprised that AP didn’t use one of his baseball analogies!

INC on July 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM

bayam on July 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Obama was and is a fool, not only on Poland, on England too.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM

sharrukin on July 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I don’t remember anyone asking him his opinion. And btw, when you look at Mexico they are in no position to be giving lectures on gun control…whereas when Mitt Romney is ask a question about running the Olympics, he actually is in a position to know what he is talking about.

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM

He seems to have united the UK public… not easy.

lexhamfox on July 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Well I guess there goes the un-united un-kingdom’s, non-great, more and more not british but muslim’s electoral votes.

VorDaj on July 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I wasn’t advocating lying.

I would first try to find something positive I could say. Then try to identify with the neighbor about some of my own logistics.

I’m not from NJ, I’m from the South.

INC on July 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Love the Brits … to a certain extent.
The British press is another matter entirely.
(From days of yore, I miss reading Punch magazine.)
Few know and you’ll never hear it from the LSM, but the SLC Olympics were rescued from a total shiite-storm by Romney. It was crash and burn time until Romney took charge. Anyone who claims otherwise don’t know jack.
But compare Olympic presentations. How many surface-to-air missile batteries did Mitt have to install for the Salt Lake City Olympics? (And no, I’m not overlooking Hill AFB)
If that doesn’t speak volumes about the preposterous preparations of the Limeys, then you’re not paying attention. Yea, they’re ready for another Blitz, but not necessarily the world’s athletes.
The LSM likes to foist total fabrications upon the unsuspecting public.
G. Orwell had them pegged with this comment: “An argument so stupid, only an intellectual would believe it.”

Missilengr on July 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM

This is just another example of why Mittens absoulutely SUCK as a candidate.

Yet, we are stuck with this buffoon. Let’s hope that “I am not Obama” strategy will be sufficient to win the election…. I wouldn’t bank on it though.

Norwegian on July 26, 2012 at 6:28 PM

He seems to have united the UK public… not easy.

lexhamfox on July 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Bush united them too..they hated him…..they were united when it came to Reagan too..they did not like him either.

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:28 PM

He seems to have united the UK public… not easy.

lexhamfox on July 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I am sure O is working to give the Brits the right to vote here as we speak.Heck might as well. /

CW on July 26, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Did you feel the same way when Obama unceremoniously shipped back the bust of Churchill?

bayam on July 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Right. Because suggesting a country may not be adequately prepared for a sporting event is equivalent to suggesting a country ran death camps or something.

Kataklysmic on July 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Pissing off Obama’s butt-boy Cameron and Boris the Red in London? I am wondering if Romney did this on purpose. Great enemies to have.

Let them suck Obama’s schwanz if they need to…that won’t get him a single vote in November.

Jaibones on July 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I wasn’t advocating lying.

I’m not from NJ, I’m from the South.

INC on July 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Actually, I think this is what he was trying to do…he did say something positive and he did try to identify with them and he even talked about the problems he faced himself..it was the British media that acted as if he was being a meanie.

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM

NEWSFLASH::

Just saw a MONTAGE of news clips from ALL THE MAJOR NEWS NETWORKS- from the last 2 weeks or so EXPRESSING CONCERNED ON NATIONAL TV BROADCASTS that the Brits security may not be ready, and that transportation workers are THREATENING TO STRIKE AND WALK OUT DURING THE GAMES.
CBS
NBC
ABC
CNN
MSNBC
FOX
ALL OF THESE NEWS OUTLETS expressed the same concerns as MITT DID – and brought them right into your living room for you to also be concerned.

Team Mitt needs to play the clips.
Very Funny. The media eats itself.

FlaMurph on July 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:24 PM

And I’d really work at being polite, if I knew the last visitor from my neighborhood (Obama) had been insulting.

INC on July 26, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Missilengr on July 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM

You’re a brave one.

davidk on July 26, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I’ve got to run. His second interview was OK. His first with NBC was an unforced error.

INC on July 26, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Jaibones on July 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM

and who’s ‘butt-boy’ is mittens? or are you mittens’?

Pragmatic on July 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM

He seems to have united the UK public… not easy.

lexhamfox on July 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Next up: Mitt Romney inspires national unity in Greece by telling them that they were once a proud and civilized people 2,500 years ago.

Lawdawg86 on July 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM

This is just another example of why Mittens absoulutely SUCK as a candidate.

Norwegian on July 26, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Do you honestly think they would not find something to get upset about with any other Republican candidate? I bet they would. But then again, I do not remember primary voters being all that worried about who would do a better job of sucking up to the Brits..

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM

FlaMurph on July 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Got a link, Murph?

davidk on July 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Do you seriously believe that the Japanese Prime Minister’s comments on gun control would be any more welcome?

sharrukin on July 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Yep. How do you say ‘submit’ in the queen’s English?

AllahsNippleHair on July 26, 2012 at 6:18 PM

AllahsNippleHair:Um….Allah Snack Bar!!(sarc)

Hey,overlooked it,lol…..`PEONS`:)

canopfor on July 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM

***BOOM***
That’s what I call premature evacuation!

AllahsNippleHair on July 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Jaibones on July 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Woah…down boy…

gracie on July 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM

On serious note, I cringe at such precisely because I want Oaf out, mocked into oblivion, so that such never happens again.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 6:18 PM

..you were on target. We [meaning me] Mittbots need to be kept in check. Before battle, weapon inspections and an attitude check betters the chances of victory.

Han Solo said it best: “Don’t get cocky, kid!

The War Planner on July 26, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I can see if, God forbid, something serious or major security issue happens during the Olympics. Then Obama’s team has a video clip of him saying, “the secuyrity is just FINE”. A quote coming from Mitt..who is supposed to be an Olympic expert. Tell me they wouldn’t throw that back in his face and make loads of commercials off the clip? God forbid a politician gives an honest answer. This freakin’ daily “hand-wringing” by people on this site, cracks me up.

Static21 on July 26, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM

INC on July 26, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Reasonable. But I still wonder if a lot of this is just not the British media going out of their way to make a stink.

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:35 PM

AllahsNippleHair on July 26, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:18 PM

No? Obama would and McCain would attack anyone that dared to discuss the Muslim problem.

AllahsNippleHair on July 26, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Gosh, I wish Romney didn’t do this kind of thing so frequently. He not only blew a service ad he held against Obama concerning the insulting the British thing, but he dropped the next point concerning his Olympics strength. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Fortunately, team O’Biden will fluff the next several points but all these unforced errors … disconcerting.

MaxMBJ on July 26, 2012 at 6:35 PM

secuyrity=security

Static21 on July 26, 2012 at 6:36 PM

C-BS are on their Collectivist Democrat Media Kneepads for O’bama on this one; this Fake Scandal led their “evening news”.

Dr. Goebbels is looking up and smiling.

Del Dolemonte on July 26, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Two: Romney was right.

door #2 monty

he’s been there, done that…don’t get too cocky london…if something catastrophic happens, this will be replayed ad nauseum right back at ya…

cmsinaz on July 26, 2012 at 6:36 PM

and who’s ‘butt-boy’ is mittens? or are you mittens’?

Pragmatic on July 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM

These mitt threads are like candy to a child….errr …ironic.

CW on July 26, 2012 at 6:37 PM

sharrukin on July 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM

You are missing my point. They asked Mitt Romney a question and then got upset at how he answered it…no one asked the Mexican leader what is opinion on gun control in the US is.

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:37 PM

msdnc and cnn will love this crapola, but it doesn’t matter what they say

cmsinaz on July 26, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Dr. Goebbels is looking up and smiling.

Del Dolemonte on July 26, 2012 at 6:36 PM

They are grasping at straws as the most anti-business President is still trying to recover after fumbling the ball .

CW on July 26, 2012 at 6:38 PM

lol

Danielle Blake ‏@DCPlod

Mitt Romney retroactively cancels visit to London. #RomneyShambles

Quiet everyone. This is the part where Romney adviser comes out with something that makes everything infinitely worse. #RomneyShambles

Winston Churchill is officially no longer the biggest bust in Anglo-American relations. #RomneyShambles

And the first Olympic record of 2012 has been set: most gaffes in one day. #RomneyShambles

Mitt Romney vows revenge on Boris Johnson by planning to forcibly cut his hair. #RomneyShambles

and my favorite so far:

All in all, just another prick hits the wall. #RomneyShambles

lester on July 26, 2012 at 6:39 PM

This guy is not ready to be the head of the USA.

Salahuddin on July 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Yo Sally! Jackass has been in OJT for three and a half years now, and he’s still a joke.

slickwillie2001 on July 26, 2012 at 6:39 PM

AP – “by a Tory, no less ….”

Today’s Tories aren’t that different from Democrats.

bw222 on July 26, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Dr. Goebbels is looking up and smiling.

Del Dolemonte on July 26, 2012 at 6:36 PM

They are getting help from the right too it seems.

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:39 PM

They are getting help from the right too it seems.

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:39 PM

You mean the tools?

CW on July 26, 2012 at 6:40 PM

sharrukin on July 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:37 PM

No I am not missing your point. When an outsider criticizes a nation, or even a home, it is taken very differently when one of your own does. If your wife tells you that you are starting to get a little pudgy, its one thing. If a complete stranger does, it is very much something else. Maybe Romney doesn’t understand that but he should.

sharrukin on July 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Oh please. It’s not like Romney didn’t provide them with plenty of ammo. The Left is having a field day with this, and I can’t say I blame them.

This was supposed to one of Romney’s strengths. The Olympics. Yet, here we are, with Mittens being ridiculed by a slew of Brits on the eve of the games.

Romney is supposed to attend the opening sermonies tomorrow. I would not be surprised if he gets booed in front of a global audience. Just the perfect ending of this clusterfark of a foreign visit.

Norwegian on July 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Lawdawg86 on July 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Not sure I’d call Greece, 2500 years ago, civilized.

More civilized than most other cultures, perhaps. But they were not civilized by normal standards.

lorien1973 on July 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Well, tell it to the Brits. They’re the ones who are outraged.

bayam on July 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Did Jay Carney finally kick you out of his panty drawer?

AllahsNippleHair on July 26, 2012 at 6:43 PM

There’s no way to survive a long campaign without gaffes. Why not simply speak from the heart and, when the gaffes appear, shrug them off like Mayor Menino from Boston did this morning when he said, “I make mistakes all the time. That’s a Menino-ism.”

(Hate giving Menino any credit but I have to admit, this was a gracious walk-back.)

MaxMBJ on July 26, 2012 at 6:43 PM

- The 2012 Olympics is a financial disaster already and may well be an operational one.
- The Special Relationship isn’t that special when the UK has no effective military force.
- The US is fast on the way to becoming the high tax welfare state that the UK is.

CorporatePiggy on July 26, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Team Mitt needs to play the clips.
Very Funny. The media eats itself.

FlaMurph on July 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM

FlaMurph:And the Security firm stated,sorry we need the UK Military
to shore us(the Brits)up.So ya,the news is out there!:)

canopfor on July 26, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Norwegian on July 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM

he probably would have gotten booed anyway…

cmsinaz on July 26, 2012 at 6:44 PM

What is going on here? Simple, team Obama is using British politicians to criticize Romney abroad.

jjnco73 on July 26, 2012 at 6:44 PM

msdnc and cnn will love this crapola, but it doesn’t matter what they say

cmsinaz on July 26, 2012 at 6:37 PM

cmsinaz:You nailed it CMS:)

canopfor on July 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Not sure I’d call Greece, 2500 years ago, civilized.

lorien1973 on July 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Do you mean the standards of the 21th century, or the standards of 7th century BC?

sharrukin on July 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM

So the Brits don’t like what Romney said about them. Well they didn’t like what some other Americans said about them either. Those Americans were named Jefferson, Adams, Franklin, Hancock, Henry, among many more. Who the hell cares what the Brits think?

bgibbs1000 on July 26, 2012 at 6:46 PM

bayam on July 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM

No, your Child President did that when he sent back Churchill’s bust 3 years ago.

BUST-

Del Dolemonte on July 26, 2012 at 6:46 PM

canopfor on July 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM

***BOOM***
That’s what I call premature evacuation!

AllahsNippleHair on July 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM

AllahsNippleHair:Lol…..*Bugging Out*!:)

canopfor on July 26, 2012 at 6:46 PM

canopfor on July 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM

now special report will weigh in on this….WHY????

cmsinaz on July 26, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I just want to make sure I have this straight. This is the offending statement?

Bmore on July 26, 2012 at 6:47 PM

morning joe will continue to play this up all morning tomorrow…

blech

cmsinaz on July 26, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Mitt should think twice before making the Brits bare their teeth like this.

Christien on July 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Just an example of the intelligence level of London’s mayor, Boris Johnson -

“Whether it’s in theatre, comedy, sports, music or politics, Muslims are challenging the traditional stereotypes and showing that they are, and want to be, a part of the mainstream community. That’s why I urge people, particularly during Ramadan, to find out more about Islam, increase your understanding and learning, even fast for a day with your Muslim neighbour and break your fast at the local mosque. I would be very surprised if you didn’t find that you share more in common than you thought. Muslims are at the heart of every aspect of society. Their contribution is something that all Londoners benefit from. Muslim police officers, doctors, scientists and teachers are an essential part of the fabric of London.”

The man is stark raving mad.

VorDaj on July 26, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Johnson is one of those naive Euros that think that by being submissive to the muslims now, when the muslims take over Europe that they will allow the liberal elites to remain in their positions of power.

Kind of like the white progs in the democratic party and the ‘hispanics’.

slickwillie2001 on July 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Correction. This is the offending statement?

“Number one, of course, are the athletes. That’s what overwhelmingly the Games are about. Number two are the volunteers. And they’ll have great volunteers here. But number three are the people of the country. Do they come together and celebrate the Olympic moment? And that’s something which we only find out once the Games actually begin.”

Bmore on July 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM

We’re talking about the possibility of terrorist attacks. If the Brits can’t handle hearing the truth, the hell with them.

Blake on July 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM

BUST-

Del Dolemonte on July 26, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Del Dolemonte:YOU RANG!:)
=========================

Speaking of Mittens,he performs a “Check-Mate”thingy(sarc)!

Romney: ‘Looking Forward to the Bust of Winston Churchill Being in the Oval Office Again’
3:00 PM, Jul 26, 2012
**********************
**********************

At an event in London, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney said, “I’m looking forward to the bust of Winston Churchill being in the Oval Office again.”

Mitt Romney at London fundraiser: “I’m looking forward to the bust of Winston Churchill being in the Oval Office again.” #watersedge?

— Kasie Hunt (@kasie) July 26, 2012

President Obama famously sent Churchill’s bust back to Britain soon after coming into office. As the Telegraph reported then:

A bust of the former prime minister once voted the greatest Briton in history, which was loaned to George W Bush from the Government’s art collection after the September 11 attacks, has now been formally handed back.

The bronze by Sir Jacob Epstein, worth hundreds of thousands of pounds if it were ever sold on the open market, enjoyed pride of place in the Oval Office during President Bush’s tenure.

But when British officials offered to let Mr Obama to hang onto the bust for a further four years, the White House said: “Thanks, but no thanks.”

canopfor on July 26, 2012 at 6:14 PM

canopfor on July 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM

canopfor on July 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM

now special report will weigh in on this….WHY????

cmsinaz on July 26, 2012 at 6:47 PM

cmsinaz:Ugh….Lol:)

canopfor on July 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Norwegian on July 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Oh please yourself….how do you think the British would have reacted to Herman Cain or Sarah Palin..on one hand you complain that Romney is a Rino or something and on the other hand you complain that he is not better at being squishy.

My point is that this is all overblown. What a silly thing to get upset about.

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM

“uh yes, cherrio. just wanted to give you an update on our libya campaign. well, you see, we’ve lauched our third cruise missle, and , well, it appears we’re out now. so we’ll be stepping out now for tea. please drop us a ring on the tele when you yanks have tidied up over there”

t8stlikchkn on July 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Boris Johnson was born in NYC. He has said he could become President of the U.S. Some additional quotes…

Fallon on July 26, 2012 at 5:40 PM

He IS running for president isn’t he? Some Librarian group?

slickwillie2001 on July 26, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Mitt should think twice before making the Brits bare their teeth like this.

Christien on July 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Christien:Reminds me of…..Austin Powers,haha!:)

Yes I know,he Canadain,er,American,er Duel Citizenship:)

canopfor on July 26, 2012 at 6:54 PM

..sincere thanks for the service; a lotta peeps woulda missed it. R. T. is awesomely awesome in his awesomeness! He is perhaps the most aptly-monickered HG commenter around ~~ the antithesis of the woeful Pragmatic.

The War Planner on July 26, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Thank you for the kind words.

jjnco73 on July 26, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Exactly. Get used to it, folks. The media is in it to win it for barack. But it won’t be enough.

Rational Thought on July 26, 2012 at 6:55 PM

While Mitt certainly has a propecity for foot in mouth. The feigned outrage over this comment reflects more the desperation of leftists to help 0 than anything else. Unless I’m just completely missing something here.

Bmore on July 26, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Additionally salient observations:

- Boris is pretty much an eccentric genius and relatively right wing if very eccentric.

- Cameron is their equivalent of Joe Lieberman after your remove Lieberman’s balls

- Britain’s Tory party would consider Specter, Graham, and Scott Brown to be right wing extremists.

CorporatePiggy on July 26, 2012 at 6:55 PM

There are more British troops in London than in Afghanistan.

Says a lot about the “security” situation in the U.K.

Romney is right.

profitsbeard on July 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Kirsten Powers just said that “most of the people that read about this in British papers will not be voting in the US election”!

Is she not aware that British papers are more highly regarded in the US conservative community than the New York Times and WaPo put together?

slickwillie2001 on July 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Norwegian on July 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Oh please yourself….

Terrye on July 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM

..don’t waste your time. He’s an Obama Campaign tool. Or else he’s just pleasuring himself on a boring after noon. He keeps doing that and he’ll go blind.

The War Planner on July 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM

bayam on July 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Did Jay Carney finally kick you out of his panty drawer?

AllahsNippleHair on July 26, 2012 at 6:43 PM

A+++++

Del Dolemonte on July 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Thank you for the kind words.

Rational Thought on July 26, 2012 at 6:55 PM

..they are deserved. I really enjoy your comments!

The War Planner on July 26, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Additionally salient observations:

CorporatePiggy on July 26, 2012 at 6:55 PM

CorporatePiggy:

Great Scott,CP….OutStanding,a Political Chrystal Ball,
and I agree on all counts!:)

canopfor on July 26, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Be careful Cameron – This guy is likely the next POTUS and you may have to deal with him.

antisocial on July 26, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Bmore on July 26, 2012 at 6:55 PM

You’re not.

bgibbs1000 on July 26, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Bmore on July 26, 2012 at 6:55 PM

No, you’re not. The way C-BS “News” flogged this Fake Scandal tonight as their lead “news” story speaks volumes of how scared they are.

Del Dolemonte on July 26, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Bmore on July 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM

“You know, it’s hard to know just how it will turn out. There are a few things that were disconcerting …”

I guess.

Axe on July 26, 2012 at 6:59 PM

A+++++

Del Dolemonte on July 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM

..I am jealous! I work over UpperYeastInfection with stuff like this and I don’t even get a good solid B+ out of you.

Heartbroken I am!

The War Planner on July 26, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Simple, team Obama is using British politicians to criticize Romney abroad.

jjnco73 on July 26, 2012 at 6:44 PM

wonder how much luck unicorn prince will have getting bebe to help him out like that……

t8stlikchkn on July 26, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Why is Willard even commenting on something that has nothing to do with us?

And – if he insists on doing so – why is he highlighting the negative stuff?

Oh wait – I know why …