Romney: The US doesn’t need stricter gun laws

posted at 1:21 pm on July 26, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

I think the liberal-leaning outlets are trying to draw attention to the section of the interview in which Mitt Romney tells Brian Williams that “there are some differences between myself and the NRA,” but I’m honestly not seeing any cause for alarm. I feel like Romney is just leaving himself a bit of wiggle room here, as all politicians are wont to do. Yes, we know he has a not-as-sterling-as-some-might-prefer past on gun control: He’s signed an ‘assault’ weapons ban as governor of Massachusetts and supported the idea of better background checks, but as the gist of the interview amounts to, no, he doesn’t think we need stricter national gun laws and just legislating the heck out of things isn’t always a solution, I’m okay with it. (Not overly pleased with it, perhaps, but okay.)

Mitt Romney rejected the idea that tougher gun laws could have prevented the deadly rampage in Aurora, Colo., saying in an interview Tuesday that a legislative remedy would not thwart people who want to cause harm.

“Just having a law saying someone can’t do a bad thing doesn’t always keep a person from doing a bad thing,” the presumptive Republican presidential nominee told NBC’s Brian Williams. …

Mr. Romney talked briefly about the assault weapons ban he signed as governor of Massachusetts, calling the legislation a compromise that was backed by Second Amendment advocates. Now, he said, he doesn’t “happen to believe that America needs new gun laws.”

As Allahpundit already pointed out, President Obama had some slightly stiffer words about gun control policies yesterday afternoon, but for now at least, no new laws are going to happen anytime soon and this is all just rhetoric. However, President Obama’s call for more supposedly “common-sense” gun laws and his remark that “a mentally unbalanced individual should not be able to get his hands on a gun so easily” gave me reason for pause, and I hope you’ll indulge me while I thresh out a sincere question. In the WSJ earlier this week, Holman Jenkins wrote about the possibilities of data mining and how impersonal government algorithms could’ve picked up on the red flags that James Holmes’ behavior provided prior to his deadly rampage.

The Colorado shooter Mr. Holmes dropped out of school via email. He tried to join a shooting range with phone calls and emails going back and forth. He bought weapons and bomb-making equipment. He placed orders at various websites for a large quantity of ammunition. Aside from privacy considerations, is there anything in principle to stop government computers, assuming they have access to the data, from algorithmically detecting the patterns of a mass shooting in the planning stages?

It helps to go back over the controversy at the time. Supporters argued that Total Information Awareness shouldn’t be frightful to Americans—there would be no monitoring of identified individuals unless a warrant was issued. The system wouldn’t be collecting dossiers of personal information or choosing people to spy on, at least initially. It would be raking impersonally through vast streams of data looking for red flags.

The anguishing thing about mass-shooting incidents is that patterns are indeed present. The person usually has a history of causing alarm in people around. The episodes themselves typically begin with a personal setback—a divorce, a firing, an investment failure, getting kicked out of school. And preparations for mass murder certainly leave “signatures” in the “transaction space.”

Er… doesn’t that feel a little too Minority Report for comfort? Yes, we always want to prevent horrors like the one we saw in Colorado last week, but in the United States, people are innocent until they’re proven guilty. There are countless divorces, firings, and investment failures every day in America, but are you going to preemptively deny someone their Second-Amendment rights before they’ve committed a crime? I certainly hope this type of thing isn’t what President Obama is thinking of when he says “common sense” regulation, because it’s anything but. As Jenkins goes on to say, “Psychiatric evaluations of dangerousness, we’re often told, are unhelpful because too many fit the pattern who never engage in violence. Can monitoring masses of transaction data help find the real risks? Or would this also lead (as some experts surmise) to unmanageable numbers of false positives?” It all just sounds very police-state-ish to me — and while I firmly believe that people, not guns, kill people, it’s also true that you just can’t legislate crazy without sacrificing something else. Just something to consider and be vigilant about in the never-ceasing battle to protect our right to bear arms.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

=======================================================

On the alarm,likewise,

the MSM,are in Full-Blown,Mittens Faus Pas Miss-Speaky,Gotcha
SoundBitey OverLoad/OverDrive wordy Scrutenization,

however,in the last four years,

Hopey has endured a FREE RIDE,with,MSM Advocate sumpin sumpun!!!!!!

canopfor on July 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM

CONGRATS to Mitt for this position (we don’t need any “new gun laws”).

Meanwhile, Obama and the rest of the ruinous Left is going to be making it close to impossible for the average person to obtain a registered and licensed firearm. Just wait, they’ll bury the nation in add-on “regulations” that’ll make legitimate processes near-impossible while claiming they’re “for the 2nd Amendment and don’t support additional gun laws”.

Lourdes on July 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM

————-

What makes you think this? Has Obama said it? Has he introuduced legislation that would lead one to believe this? I’m confused…

Politricks on July 26, 2012 at 2:58 PM

With all the things to debate, can we at least agree that some things have names?

verbaluce on July 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM

In Liberalese, names mean whatever those speaking them want them to mean. And anything can be made evil by renaming it.

During the Assault Weapon Ban, DOJ tried to get lever-action rifles with non-detachable, tubular magazines banned, no matter what caliber they were, even .22 rimfire. They referred to them as “assault weapons” even thought they were neither self-loading or had detachable “clips”. One DOJ spokesman said, “We are going to use this law to capture an entirely new category of guns”.

The spokesman? then- Deputy Attorney General of the United States Eric Holder.

You are probably too young to remember the term “Saturday Night Special”. It was a politician-created bowdlerization of the collector’s term “Suicide Special”, which meant a cheap, .22 or .32 rimfire single-action, spur-trigger revolver with a short barrel, made in blackpowder days. Such inexpensive defense pistols were made and sold in this country and elsewhere before 1900, and few were made after that.

The “Saturday Night Special”, by comparison, was any handgun politicians didn’t like, which were (of course) only used by criminals to commit crimes. At different times, any handgun up to and including .38 Special police service revolvers were tagged with the label, notably by Ted Kennedy.

So, lever actions are “assault weapons”, police sidearms are “Saturday Night Specials”, but you can still have, say, a Colt .45 automatic or a telescopic-sighted, bolt-action hunting rifle, right?

WRONG!!

According to Barbara Boxer, a telescopic-sighted deer rifle is a sniper rifle. And if you own one, you are a potential Lee Harvey Oswald.

And the .45? It’s a weapon of war, and should be restricted to the military. Ask Dianne Feinstein- she’ll tell you. As will Charles Schumer, Henry Waxman, et al.

Obama now says that we “need more common-sense restrictions”, but that he “respects the Second Amendment”.

I call BS on that, on the grounds that since he has shown no respect whatever for the rest of the Constitution, why would he “respect” the one part that “progressives” hate worse than any other? Furthermore, the only time he ever tells the truth is when he is vowing to pursue progressive dogmas. Like banning guns. Or engaging in sub rosa activities to further such a goal. (Fast & Furious, anyone?)

So no, we cannot “agree on names”. Because our “enlightened elite’” use words to redefine reality to suit themselves.

And the only reality that they will countenance is one in which we have no defense against their armed minions. As they remake society into a Utopia- and the rest of us have the “choice” of obeying, or else.

You may be OK with that.

I am not.

clear ether

eon

eon on July 26, 2012 at 3:00 PM

The common denominator in every one of these shootings is murder. Therefore what is really needed is tougher laws on murder. Wait, what?

ghostwalker1 on July 26, 2012 at 2:49 PM

The way laws were toughened for murder was by instituting the death penalty. But liberals oppose that, too.

Liam on July 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Well, I don’t have that domain (you referred to) blocked in my browser and I am NOT seeing anything here that is set to “auto play” so I think you just might not have proper settings in place (if you’re using IE, I’m assuming you are) for your browser.

IF you’re Internet Options are set too low, then, and you’re allowing “third party cookies,” then you’ll be seeing just about everything in your browsing.

So UP the IntOptions settings to “High” or next-to that and disallow third-party cookies.

Lourdes on July 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I generally use the default “Medium” setting, which does block third party cookies, amongst other options. I’ve never really had to set that higher (because of tech support searches on obscure subjects, I sometimes have to go to places for tech’ information that I wouldn’t want blocked). But you’ve convinced me to experiment with it (especially as my support burden is decreasing).

Adblock is now available for other browsers also.

Flora Duh on July 26, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I looked at this (I remember using Adblock years ago), but it seems that the IE version, at least, isn’t free. (Granted I didn’t spend all that much time looking.)

But as soon as I submit this comment, I’ve installed the Abine anti-tracker that Bmore recommended (which requires me to restart IE).

Between that, and nudging those security settings vertically, I’ll hope that blissful silence will once again rule my desmene lol.

…thanks again to all.

davisbr on July 26, 2012 at 3:03 PM

MadisonConservative on July 26, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Dang it Madison, there you go again waving facts and transcripts from news archives around like the “fake” conservative that you are! Don’t you know that we’re supposed to blindly accept Romney and the Mittbots as our political saviors from our “non-intellectual” (Read: conservative and libertarian) “Obama supporter” view points?

Razgriez on July 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Romney may be soft on the gun control issue, but we know exactly what Obummer will try to do.
I’ll take my chances with Romney.

dentarthurdent on July 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Whoa. I don’t see any ads at Hotair at all (let alone bitching about intrusive audio). Exceeds my expectations rather nicely.

Try this. Abine.

Bmore on July 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM

You win the Internets today, bmore. I owe you a beer.

…I recommend Alaska Amber Alt Style ale. But whatever.

davisbr on July 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

test

davisbr on July 26, 2012 at 3:16 PM

He placed orders at various websites for a large quantity of ammunition.

So many seem to focus on the fact that he had 6000 rounds of ammo for the rifle (or was that for all 3 guns?).

Holmes fired probably well under 100 rounds in the theatre. He had a 100-round drum magazine on the rifle (big mistake, high-cap magazine tend to jam), which jammed.

So do the remaining 5500+ rounds of ammunition left in his apartment constitute an ongoing threat? Why the focus on that? If buying large quantities of ammo becomes a new “red flag,” the devious crazies will only buy the amount they intend to use.

iurockhead on July 26, 2012 at 3:19 PM

davisbr on July 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Glad it works for you. Makes the refresh much quicker. I like dark beer, Guiness or Heineken Dark. ; )

Bmore on July 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM

…test was because my followup wasn’t submitted???

Problem solved. Not only does the intrusive audio problem seem solved, I don’t see any ads.

Try this. Abine.

Bmore on July 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Abine exceeded my minimalist expectations.

You win the internets today bmore.

I owe you a beer. I recommend Alaska Amber Alt Style ale. Or whatever.

davisbr on July 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM

LOL. I see that multiple refreshes didn’t post the damn reply, but AFTER you reply, I see the initial one. Aargh.

Well, bmore …since you mentioned dark beers, the very best to my palate is Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout.

It’s a food beer. Meant for a hearty appetite. Goes GREAT with Lamb with Dill Sauce, too (I have a great recipe for that).

davisbr on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

What is the difference between an Assault Weapon and any other Weapon used for Assault?

Chip on July 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM

verbaluce on July 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM

So are all guns “assault weapons”? If not which ones? It’s not a trivial point especially since it’s the line the liberals are publicly willing to draw in the sand – liberals want to ban “assault weapons”, whatever that means, so I’d like to know exactly what that means. If it’s difficult to define – and it is – that just tells me that legislation to ban “assault weapons” is ultimately aimed at redefining it until it includes every gun.

gwelf on July 26, 2012 at 1:56 PM

That is exactly my point – a vague definition means they have no limits on what they can ban.

Let’s say they’d like to ban SUV’s – Sport Utility Vehicles – what kind of vehicle Wouldn’t fall under the definition not being for ‘Sport’ or ‘Utility’?

Calling them Transport Vehicles is akin to calling a weapon used for assault an assault weapon – it could mean anything and knowing how the National Socialist Left works it magic with language – it will mean anything.

Bottom line: this is just a way of banning guns – just redefine them as something else than can be banned.

Chip on July 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Chip on July 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM

verbaluce on July 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM

BTW, Exactly what names are generally associated with the word ‘weapon’?

Chip on July 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Correction:

This is just a way of banning guns – just redefine them as something else that can be banned.

Chip on July 26, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I think BOR is aligning himself with Dear Leader’s position on AK’s. Could there be an interview upcoming?

d1carter on July 26, 2012 at 1:26 PM

BOR was an absolute nut job during his TPM on Monday night and his interview with Rep. Chaffetz on Tuesday night. His ignorance of firearms themselves and of related laws is pretty astounding.

I wasn’t all that concerned after seeing the TPM on Monday because I figured someone – hopefully on his research staff or perhaps a letter from a viewer – would clue him in and he’d educate himself. But he doubled down on stupid in a serious way the following night.

His lack of intellectual integrity is pretty amazing and definitely worthy of a show on MSNBC.

climbnjump on July 26, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Lourdes on July 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM

————-

Politricks on July 26, 2012 at 2:58 PM

The answer to your question: what Obama has said after the fact following last week’s murder spree in Aurora, CO.

Obama was quick to publicly say that he supports the 2nd Amendment but that “we need (more controls over who has guns).”

So he’s working the “increase the regulations” against gun ownership route while maintaining he’s in support of the 2nd Amendment. Which he ISN’T as long as he’s seeking those “increased controls” over gun ownership.

He is predictably following the “increase the regulations hurdle” path to try to circumvent the 2nd while attempting to cash in on the alleged “support” for the 2nd.

Lourdes on July 26, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Try this. Abine.

Bmore on July 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM

davisbr on July 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

In IE, all you have to do is go to IntOptions/Privacy and scroll down to “DO NOT ALLOW SITES TO TRACK MY PHYSICAL LOCATION” …

Select that…

…and then import a tracking list (see the links, etc.).

That does in IE what that “abine” is offering to do for you.

However, if you’ve got your problem solved, great.

Lourdes on July 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM

iurockhead on July 26, 2012 at 3:19 PM

The Left has been trying to forbid various quantities of ammunition-buys for a while now.

But you can still buy as many pounds of fertilizer and grease at COSTCO as you can find a truck to haul away…

Lourdes on July 26, 2012 at 3:55 PM

OT: ignore if not interested in the ad-blocking suggestions.

Am I doing something wrong ??
Have DL’d, installed that Abine app, obviously closed/reopened IE, but even after a full HD restart, I’m still getting ads, in all the usual places.
Happy enough just blocking the tracking, but no help with ads.

pambi on July 26, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Romney performed magnificently in this interview. As always, he looked and sounded very presidential and struck just the right tone in his responses.

bluegill on July 26, 2012 at 4:03 PM

iurockhead on July 26, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I bought 1000 rounds of 9mm ammunition in one day. Cleared out the Wal-Mart. There’s nothing creepy, suspicious, or questionable about buying ammunition in large quantities.

Well…if you’re buying large quantities of birdshot, I will assume you’re trying to get attention.

MadisonConservative on July 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Don’t forget tomorrow.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 4:09 PM

OT: ignore if not interested in the ad-blocking suggestions.

Am I doing something wrong ??

Happy enough just blocking the tracking, but no help with ads.

pambi on July 26, 2012 at 4:01 PM

FWIW. I’m using IE9 on Win7 Pro (64 bit OS …though I generally use the 32bit version of IE).

After installing Abine, and restarting IE, I’m not seeing ads at Ace, at Insty, or at Hot Air. Or …checking …Drudge. Or NRO.

Hmm. Make sure that under Options –> Programs –> Manage Add-ons, you have Abine enabled.

…and Lourdes, I will try the “Do not allow sites to track my physical location” setting on my laptop this evening. Thanks.

davisbr on July 26, 2012 at 4:11 PM

iurockhead on July 26, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Or, they won’t order it online. Or they buy only “a little bit” at a large number of stores and pay cash. Or they’ll buy it on the street corner from their drug dealer. Or…

What quantity is a large amount? Of the 6000 rounds that they say Holmes had, just how much was he actually carrying? I don’t know the proportion of handgun/rifle/shotgun that made up the 6000 round supply, but it would roughly weigh about 120 lbs. Most was still in his apartment where they found it so it didn’t really matter, did it?

climbnjump on July 26, 2012 at 4:16 PM

well, actually, he didnt. you guys keep getting fooled by the alphabet media.

look at that rifle on the ground and tell me again about this 100 drum magazine.

“Holmes allegedly tossed tear gas canisters into the crowded theater, and then fired his 12-gauge shotgun at the ceiling before turning it on the crowd. As panicked movie watchers raced for the exits, he switched to a .40 Glock pistol and a .223 Smith & Wesson M&P semi-automatic with a high-capacity drum clip, sources told Fox News. The gun jammed, likely preventing far more deaths.

After the gun jammed, Holmes allegedly walked out of the theater through the door he’d entered and was removing his body armor beside his car when he was confronted by the officers who took him down, the source said, adding that the gunman seemed surprised authorities arrived so quickly.

Lifeisdeath on July 26, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Lifeisdeath on July 26, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Theoretically, he could have had a 100 round drum that he discarded inside the theater and switched to a 20 or 30 round magazine.

You could be right…but my point is that the picture you showed only shows the rifle, when we know for a fact there were two pistols and a shotgun, and we don’t see those.

MadisonConservative on July 26, 2012 at 4:26 PM

OT: adblock, again

davisbr on July 26, 2012 at 4:11 PM
On XP, IE8, add-on enabled, still no AD help.
Oh, well.

pambi on July 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Will you give up your gun rights to the UN?

Tomorrow is the day.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM

well, it says, his gun jammed, he dropped it, and went out the door he came in. we see the gun on the ground. why switch to a 30 round and then drop it and leave? and it also differs with what other news outlets said about what happened. i have also heard that his gun jammed with the 100 round magazine and then he dropped it and switched to another gun.

the point is do not take ANYTHING you read as fact because they are all in a rush to be wrong.

Lifeisdeath on July 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM

MadisonConservative on July 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Not if you are an avid trap, skeet or sporting clays shooter. The ones that don’t reload their own would probably buy several cases of shells at at time.

Yeah, and then there is that subject of reloading…

climbnjump on July 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Lifeisdeath on July 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM

The jam could have been a stovepipe or a double feed. Sometimes a simple mag change won’t clear that up, and it’s unlikely he knew enough about firearms to tell. And it is also true that very high capacity magazines/drums are prone to jams more often than standard magazines, primarily because they’re nearly all made by third-party magazine manufacturers. Ask anyone who’s ever bought a ProMag product about shoddy build quality.

MadisonConservative on July 26, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Yeah, and then there is that subject of reloading…

climbnjump on July 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Well, right. I’m talking about someone buying thousands of rounds of birdshot. That’d be a LOT of hunting and reloading for anyone without a magazine-fed shotgun. And if it’s for defense, they ought to be buying magnum slugs, anyway.

MadisonConservative on July 26, 2012 at 5:17 PM

davisbr on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Sorry for these slow responses, there is a reason for it, sorry again. All I can say is Yum! I love Lamb, just wish it wasn’t so pricey. Would love the recipe. ; ) I’ll have to check back for it.

Bmore on July 26, 2012 at 5:26 PM

OT: adblock, again

davisbr on July 26, 2012 at 4:11 PM
On XP, IE8, add-on enabled, still no AD help.
Oh, well.

pambi on July 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I just noticed something strange with my IE and the Abine ad-blocker.

I have separate shortcuts to start IE in Hotmail and my own blog (I use my blogroll as a “Favorites” list). When I start IE with either of those shortcuts, the [Abine] DNT+ icon is missing in the upper RH section of the browser window.

Yet the add-on is [correctly] set to enabled when I check for it in any of the IE sessions.

But only when I start IE from the “regular” IE shortcuts, is the icon visible AND ad-blocking works (i.e., ad-blocking doesn’t work from the two other shortcuts).

This might be part of your problem with Abine, too, perhaps?

There’s an online chat for tech support at the Abine website (they’re open from 08:00A-05:00P eastern); you might want to try that. Worth a shot.

davisbr on July 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Totally off-topic. Payback for a favor.

Bmore on July 26, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I went looking, and found pretty much the same recipe online, here:

Lamb with Dill Sauce

Changes from the recipe. (Use a 1 1/2 qt slow cooker).

1. I only use a pound of lamb (really, that’s more than adequate).
2. Dried dill is better than fresh.
3. I don’t use the bay leaf.
4. I use 1 1/2 cups of white wine (no water in slow cooker).
5. I don’t use sugar.

For the sauce portion, I take the cooking juices out of the slow cooker (after placing the cooked ingredients in a covered serving bowl to stay warm), and transfer to a small sauce pan to make the sauce (which I pour over the ingredients when done).

Other than those changes, you can pretty much follow the directions on the link.

This, a fresh baguette, real butter, and a pre-chilled glass filled with room temp Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout make for an incredibly tasty (for the small amount of prep & cooking) fall meal (or any season …but a crisp fall evening on the deck is best).

Bon appetit!

davisbr on July 26, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Bon appetit!

davisbr on July 26, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Got it. Thank you. I hope Abine ends up being the trick for you.

This might be part of your problem with Abine, too, perhaps?

davisbr on July 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Hmmm. Not sure on that. Very helpful folks there, but like I said I have had 0 issues. It was the best thing I ever added. Faster refresh no ads. In FF no auto refresh. Let me know what you find out I’d be very interested to hear.

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Since the POS-in-Chief only believes in selective enforcement of laws he likes, I guess we just need to pass a gazillion laws and hope he likes/enforces a few. No, that won’t work. He’ll only enforce the ones that hurt Americans.

swinia sutki on July 27, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Gun laws are like locks. Locks keep honest people honest. When a person breaks into a building he breaks into it by breaking the locks on doors or windows most of the time. The locks did stop people wanting to commit a crime. The same applies to gun laws. If a person wants to kill, rob and/or rape using a gun he is violating several laws. What kind of law can be passed that a criminal would obey? NONE! Criminals do not obey laws. What part of “Shall not infringe” do people not understand? The Constitution does not limit what arms we can bear. Gun laws are about control and taking freedom and self defense away from the people. The politicians want to rule without having citizens that are able to resist their socialist/communist and unconstitutional actions.
“WE”the people need to wake up before it is too late to keep our freedom!

harvey1 on July 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM