Quotes of the day

posted at 10:36 pm on July 26, 2012 by Allahpundit

President Barack Obama said Wednesday the nation needs to start talking about tougher gun laws. That might be the end of the conversation.

The White House offered no specific follow-up. Neither did congressional leaders, who say they have no plans to pursue legislation, which faces broad congressional opposition…

Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, a California Democrat, was noncommittal when asked if Democrats would get behind legislation to restrict the sale of large magazines or assault rifles. “There are important voices on both sides of this issue,” she said.

***

The polls still show considerable support for practical measures to curb gun violence. For example: a 2011 New York Times/CBS News poll found that 63 percent of Americans favor a ban on high-capacity magazines; just as many supported an assault-weapons ban. The same year, a Washington Post/ABC News poll found that 83 percent supported financing a system in which people treated for mental illness would be reported to a federal gun registry database to prevent them from buying guns; 71 percent favored this for those treated for drug abuse.

Such numbers should give heart to those who seek solutions to gun violence. Yet so many progressive donors have given up on financing the cause of gun safety. And although President Obama took an important step forward in a New Orleans speech Wednesday night, so many progressive politicians sit back and assume that the gun lobby will win again.

There is a word for this: surrender.

***

The suddenness and confusion of that moment points out the folly of the politician’s belief that an armed civilian could have easily taken out James Holmes. Imagine the scene: speakers blasting, larger-than-life heroes and villains on the screen, and suddenly real gunshots, a man in a gas mask firing one of three weapons — a shotgun, handgun and rifle, with extended magazines for extra ammo capacity — into the panicking crowd. Even a highly trained, armed police officer would have been caught off guard. Try adding a bunch of untrained, armed civilians into the mix — this type of intervention could have made things much worse…

The pro- and anti-gun groups need to sit down and let common sense rule. We register automobiles and require proof of driving proficiency before granting driving licenses. Is it so unreasonable to consider a national or state-by-state registry for firearms? While I’m not totally opposed to concealed carry laws, why not require comprehensive background checks, psychological screening and training? And while it might be considered un-American to prevent an ordinary citizen from owning an assault rifle, would it be too much to ask why he needs to have a specially modified 100-round magazine?

As a former policeman, I know that such measures would help law enforcement do its job. As an American, I hope that they could help us head off the next tragedy of this type.

***

Several months ago our family had an extremely troubling personal encounter with a man obsessed with my (and my wife’s) political writing, an encounter that occurred on the heels of angry blog comments that openly wondered about our address. I understand and sympathize with the infantry officer’s lament that he doesn’t want America to be like Iraq, where you carry a gun everywhere, every day, but his lament is irrelevant to my family’s unique challenges. I also understand — just as the cop argues — that a gunfight can be a terrifying, confusing, dangerous affair, but is it more or less terrifying when the criminal is the only one armed? In reality, while mass shootings are exceedingly rare, law-abiding citizens use guns every day to protect themselves from situations less dramatic but no less consequential to their personal safety.

The self-defense experts on the Times editorial board say that I don’t need anything more than a 10-round “clip” to defend my children, my wife, and myself, but the cop on the same page of the paper talks about how even trained professionals can blow through high-capacity magazines in a true firefight. Why don’t we let the citizen decide what he or she needs? A free society trusts its sane, law-abiding citizens to make the right kinds of judgments regarding their own lives. We can’t delegate those judgments to a government that almost always can’t protect us in our moment of maximum need, nor will I sacrifice my family’s safety to a pie-in-the-sky vision of a liberal, gun-free utopia.

In other words: Dear New York Times, don’t tell me how to defend my family.

***

The wise men of Washington tell us that candidates are silent on guns because to speak out is to incur the wrath of the National Rifle Association. But polls consistently show that gun owners, including NRA members, overwhelmingly support the common sense measures that mayors across the country have been trying to get Washington to pass for years…

The NRA is a $200 million-plus-a-year lobbying juggernaut, with much of its funding coming from gun manufacturers and merchandising. More than anything, the NRA is a marketing organization, and its flagship product is fear. Gun sales jumped after Obama was elected president, based on the absurd — and now demonstrably false — fear that he would seek to ban guns.

There is one particular fear the NRA manufactures with great success: fear of electoral defeat. Romney has walked away from the assault-weapons ban he once supported, and in nearly four years, Obama has offered no legislation to rein in illegal guns. In Congress, the NRA threatens lawmakers who fail to do its ideological bidding, although its record in defeating candidates is much more myth than reality.

***

By the standards usually set for our politics, the NRA is a model organization. We say we want people more involved in the process. The NRA’s more than 4 million members are highly engaged. The organization’s recent national conference in St. Louis attracted 73,000 people — one of the largest conventions ever held in the city.

We say there’s too much partisanship. Single-mindedly committed to its cause, the NRA endorsed about 60 House Democrats in 2010.

And we say that we value the Constitution. Gun-control advocates, nonetheless, treat the Second Amendment like an “ink blot” (to borrow Robert Bork’s famous phrase for the Ninth Amendment). They consider it an anachronism, an unfortunate lapse by James Madison, a forlorn leftover from the 18th century. They were all duly shocked when the Supreme Court ruled, in its 2008 decision District of Columbia v. Heller, that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to bear arms.

No one, during fair political weather or foul, has been as unstinting in its protection of that right as the NRA. For that, we should be grateful.

***

Via Mediaite.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Remarkable what the press lets them get away with, isn’t it?

Bmore on July 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Creepy.

Axe on July 26, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Flan is better than pudding, except for Rice Pudding. Rice Pudding ties Flan.

SparkPlug on July 26, 2012 at 11:31 PM

And my sisters bread pudding will top your rice pudding any day of the week.

JPeterman on July 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Not good for the MY CCW argument, if true.

Cleombrotus on July 26, 2012 at 11:26 PM

FIFM

Cleombrotus on July 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM

My origanal post was about regulating magazine sizes..

No one stopped James when he was re-loading..

25 round per magazine..
100

It didn’t matter..

James had the upper hand…

Now if there was a Floridian 72 y/o in the building….

Electrongod on July 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM

A little reading for all the uninformed. Granted its wiki, but it’s less disinformation than the news delivers. AK-47

Bmore on July 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Great job Schaden….precisely my point!

Vntnrse on July 26, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Rumors have it that he’s already signed the EO on topic, to bypass the Senate. He knows that no one will impeach his latte hued azz.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Creepy.

Axe on July 26, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Lol! That too.

Bmore on July 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM

arnold ziffel on July 26, 2012 at 11:03 PM
If yu don’t eat your meat you can’t have any pudding..:)

Dire Straits on July 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM

That’s what Dave’s Mom used to say so Pink decided to put it in one of his songs. Most people don’t know that.

Its like the Pistol Shrimp, most people don’t know about it.

SparkPlug on July 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM

That Pistol Shrimp footage is disturbing.
And, the pistol shrimp is a cannibal.

AllahsNippleHair on July 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Assault crossbows.

Assault slingshots.

Assault rocks.

*snip*

Axe on July 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I have been teaching women for nearly 40 years how to disable/kill an attacker with their bare hands so I would add to the list …

Assault ball point pen

Assualt nail file

Assault bare hands

Assault high heels

The niece I thought had paid the least attention to the lessons came by the house to thank me a few years back,

“That move you taught me worked just like you said it would!. He went down like a sack of concrete. He was blocking my path out so I kicked him while he was down to keep him occupied, stepped right over him and went on my way.”

I was SO PROUD of her!

PolAgnostic on July 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM

O/T but it made me feel a little better for a few minutes.

‘USA! USA!’ Congressman’s Anti-Big Government Rant Gets Standing Ovation On House Floor

Flora Duh on July 26, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Now if there was a Floridian 72 y/o in the building….

Electrongod on July 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Well, that was my point. Obviously, if he wore body armor (which I’ve read conflicting accounts of, BTW) then he was anticipating the possibility of an armed response, so that wouldn’t have changed his mind about the attack, but an armed response would have still affected the outcome, negatively for him.

Cleombrotus on July 26, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Pretty much any kind except nuoc mam.

arnold ziffel on July 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Why would you put Fish Sauce on your pudding.

RickB on July 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM

PolAgnostic on July 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM

It’s nice to know a point I was sputtering over and couldn’t articulate any other way actually made it into the world. :)

Axe on July 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM

O/T but it made me feel a little better for a few minutes.

Flora Duh on July 26, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Thanks Flora, it sure doesn’t hurt, from Pa. no less.

Bmore on July 26, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Cleombrotus on July 26, 2012 at 11:43 PM

But he did it anyway….
And prepared for the worst….

He protected himself so that he could continue murder..
Just in case a Floridian with a concealed weapon was in the audience..
Or Coloradoan….

Electrongod on July 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

In other words: Dear New York Times, don’t tell me how to defend my family.

Studies: 24 out of 25 Gun Uses for Self Defense, Not Crime

Here’s a curious question: does Bloomberg know that guns are used nearly 25 times more often for self defense than they are for crime?

Seriously, the ratio for self-defense uses versus criminal uses is about 25 to 1, yet Bloomberg and his ilk seem determined to spend all their energy taking away the guns of the 25 defenders rather than punishing the one offender to the full extent of the law.

For those of you interested in the raw numbers, the figures of between 2 million and 2.5 million uses of guns for self-defense annually can be found in studies and reports by John Lott, Gun Owners of America, and the National Rifle Association. These are countered by the use of guns for criminal purposes at a rate of 100,000 to 135,000 times a year.

Flora Duh on July 26, 2012 at 11:51 PM

http://weaselzippers.us/2012/07/26/jay-carney-wont-say-the-name-of-israels-capital/MontanaMmmm on July 26, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Teheran?/

Good job, Mitt, with Piers interview. Reviews are excellent and I’m delighted to learn lefties are hoppin’ mad at Piers. Will watch the rest tomorrow- taping the rerun at midnight.

Buy Danish on July 26, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I loathe Chuck Schumer.

jawkneemusic on July 26, 2012 at 11:52 PM

SparkPlug on July 26, 2012 at 11:31 PM

And my sisters bread pudding will top your rice pudding any day of the week.

JPeterman on July 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Ok I admit it.

I love Bread-Pudding too. Now your sister, is she married? BMore’s wifey makes Peach Cobbler which I Love too.

I love the Cobbler, not BMore’s wifey. That doesn’t mean I hate her.

SparkPlug on July 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM

NBC Dateline on E! is short-stroking all over the place, wallowing in the horror and injuries and now a Dr who was there and at Columbine, all laying groundwork for ‘we must stop these terrible weapons’. Contemptible scum.

rayra on July 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM

if he wore body armor [...] then he was anticipating the possibility of an armed response

Cleombrotus on July 26, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Not necessarily. He was in his own world. He could see himself dressed and armed in his imagination, and then he just went about dressing himself and arming himself. He knew what he wanted to look like.

Like that time I ran down the street naked and painted silver with a flashlight on a stick shining down on me, and screamed to all my neighbors that I was being chased and transformed by an alien spaceship into one of their robot warriors.

You know?

Only he was a homicidal maniac, and I was just having a difficult time with a tough breakup.

Axe on July 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM

He surrendered to the police…no resistance..
No body armor needed..

But James wore body armor…

Electrongod on July 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM

He removed the body armor next to his car after exiting the theater.

He commented, ” I didn’t expect you to get here so fast.” when the police surrounded him.

My view is he wore the body armor for the same reason he was using a 100 round magazine.

He thought it was tacti-cool.

He planned on driving away. The body armor he was wearing is extremely difficult to move in; would have been impossible to drive the car wearing it. The body armor would also have been godawfully hot after wearing it for 10 minutes with a gas mask.

The Beta magazine is notorious for jamming. The idiots who buy them spend more time tweaking and maintaing them than they are worth. Those self same Beta magazine buyers don’t know shite from shinola about guns and rifles.

ETA: The body armor is easily defeated. Shoot the idiot in the face.

PolAgnostic on July 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM

SparkPlug on July 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM

That Pistol Shrimp footage is disturbing.
And, the pistol shrimp is a cannibal.

AllahsNippleHair on July 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM

I betcha Twerp would like the Pistol Shrimp. Its kind of an unusual animal. The Pistol Shrimp, not Twerp, Ok she is unusual too.

SparkPlug on July 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Evenin’ fools!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM

LevinFan on July 26, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I’ve wondered about the lack of coverage on the Bachmann thing. I am wondering if there is more information coming. I know they like to think she’s crazy but the charges seem serious and are not being dismissed by everyone.

Cindy Munford on July 26, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Azzhole in Chief

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Evenin’ fools!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Hey I was wondering if you would like the Pistol Shrimp?

Kinda cool.

SparkPlug on July 26, 2012 at 11:56 PM

SparkPlug on July 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM
That Pistol Shrimp footage is disturbing.
And, the pistol shrimp is a cannibal.

AllahsNippleHair on July 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM

SparkPlug on July 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM

You were saying…she called us fools.

AllahsNippleHair on July 26, 2012 at 11:56 PM

SparkPlug on July 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Cannibalistic shrimp?
Total. Coolness.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Assault stinky feet.

Chipotle.

Axe on July 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM

..dyin’ here, old son!

:-D

The War Planner on July 26, 2012 at 11:57 PM

AllahsNippleHair on July 26, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Because I’m becoming way too familiar w/ ‘Howdy’ and ‘greetings earthlings’…familiarity breeds contempt.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2012 at 11:58 PM

SparkPlug on July 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Cannibalistic shrimp?
Total. Coolness.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2012 at 11:57 PM

HAHA. I knew you would love the Pistol Shrimp. Pretty amazing little bugger. The Shrimp, Not you. Ok you are pretty amazing little bugger too (:

SparkPlug on July 26, 2012 at 11:59 PM

SparkPlug on July 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM

You were saying…she called us fools.

AllahsNippleHair on July 26, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Well I can’t speak for you but I am definitely a fool and not ashamed to admit it. Dire too.

SparkPlug on July 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM

ETA: The body armor is easily defeated. Shoot the idiot in the face.

PolAgnostic on July 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM

..someone mentioned that doing so would have gotten the shooter an “intent to kill” charge. WTF?

The War Planner on July 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM

AllahsNippleHair on July 26, 2012 at 11:56 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Understood.

AllahsNippleHair on July 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Heard on Special Report With Bret Baier:

Gay rights supporters are in a fast food fight with Chick-fil-A after the president of the company proclaimed it is unapologetically in favor of traditional marriage

In favor of traditional marriage? Shocking. Are they going to outlaw traditional marriage? I wouldn’t be surprised, and the future holds that anyone who wants to have a traditional marriage will be tarred and feathered as undiverse racists and unapologetic *******aphobes.
Video excerpt here.

anotherJoe on July 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Spawn just told me that the news today mentioned a non-fatal shark attack on a kid.
Reports are that the shark is fine…

annoyinglittletwerp on July 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM

jawkneemusic on July 26, 2012 at 11:52 PM

It is early..But I nominate this for Thread Winner!!..:)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM

SparkPlug on July 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM
You were saying…she called us fools.

AllahsNippleHair on July 26, 2012 at 11:56 PM

SparkPlug on July 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Dire? Hmmm.
Alright, I’ll join. Do we get cookies?

AllahsNippleHair on July 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM

He thought it was tacti-cool.

PolAgnostic on July 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM

‘zactly. IMO, etc.

Axe on July 27, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Reports are that the shark is fine…

annoyinglittletwerp on July 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM

lolz. Rim shot.

SparkPlug on July 27, 2012 at 12:03 AM

You know?

Axe on July 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM

..you are one sick puppy. At least you didn’t have that flashlight zip-tied to your..well..one of your appendages.

The War Planner on July 27, 2012 at 12:03 AM

cozmo on July 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Those drum mags on a cheap AK are nearly as reliable a tell of ignorance as calling your AKS or WASR an AK-47. It is difficult to impossible to make the cheap ones run reliably. Even the best ones require careful maintenance and often some tuning to get anything approaching reliability. I don’t know anyone knowledgeable who uses anything bigger than 30 rd mags.

Good tip on short loading too. That is a tell, too, but of the opposite kind.

novaculus on July 27, 2012 at 12:04 AM

No one stopped James when he was re-loading..

25 round per magazine..
100

It didn’t matter..

James had the upper hand…

Electrongod on July 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Have the number of rounds fired been released?

My understanding is that he emptied the shotgun and it was discarded, the rifle jammed and was discarded then he was left with the pistol.

cozmo on July 27, 2012 at 12:04 AM

SparkPlug on July 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Dire? Hmmm.
Alright, I’ll join. Do we get cookies?

AllahsNippleHair on July 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I suppose so. I already took a number 20 minutes ago and haven’t gotten squat yet. I’m number 37 in the Pudding Line which includes Flan. So I’m told.

SparkPlug on July 27, 2012 at 12:05 AM

It’s my understanding that Holmes wore a wannabee tactical vest, incorrectly reported as body armor.

UndercoverInLA on July 27, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 11:56 PM

He’s destroying the country every day he is in office…

d1carter on July 27, 2012 at 12:06 AM

He protected himself so that he could continue murder..
Just in case a Floridian with a concealed weapon was in the audience..
Or Coloradoan….

Electrongod on July 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

First off …

Aurora, Colorado BANS carrying a concealed weapon even if the owner has a CCW permit from the State of Colorado. May the “town officials” fighting the Colorado governor’s ruling that the state law trumps local law burn in he11.

Secondly …

While the situation was undoubtedly terrifying in all aspects and I HONOR those men who used their bodies as shields – in 20 20 hindsight … they would have stood a better chance of survival if they had rushed the shooter even on an individual basis. He was wearing body armor & a gas mask and carrying a rifle, a shotgun, & two pistols. His vision was impaired by the gas mask (try one on sometime and see) and the body armor impairs both mobility and agility.

Thirdly …

I would happily answer to the misdeamonor charges … because if I ever have the opportunity to expectorate on a numbr of these liberal politicians – I will gladly avail myself of the opportunity.

PolAgnostic on July 27, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM

I put NOTHNG past the a$$hat thief in chief

Vntnrse on July 27, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Is there some newfangled auto-refresh always on with HotAir now? Happens to me at work when I’m reading threads on my phone. REALLY damned annoying to have to start at the top again when I’m in the middle of reading comments.

I was in the middle of a long, thoughtful post about how California’s laws are pretty draconian when it comes to mental health patients (google 5051 and 5052). You lose your gun rights for five years if you are placed on a three day psych ward hold (5051), and you lose them for LIFE (under federal law, not just CA) if your three day stay gets extended to a 14 day 5052. My whole post got erased, so here’s the cliff notes:

The mental health system (at least here in CA) already comes down pretty hard on people with problems, even if you willingly seek help. (Sadly I know from experience, got a 5051 when I was too honest with a night nurse about bad thoughts I had in my head during a nervous breakdown. Yeah, the code says “involuntary” hold, but I guarantee you that I cooperated fully. Like I said, was too honest with them.) One bad week and an unfavorable psychiatrist’s opinion can strip you of all your gun rights, in ANY state, for life. There’s not much of a lobby to restore gun rights to said individuals, and it’s a difficult legal road to climb to reverse the ill effects. My understanding is that my 5051 will be with me for life when it comes to any kind of government work (military or otherwise).

That’s not to say that we shouldn’t try to safeguard against the truly deranged, but the Feds shouldn’t be involved (leave it up to the states), and the system in place now already makes little allowance for recovery, giving incentive for people to simply not seek help rather than deal with the background check scarlet letter, and the loss of their rights. (If I knew what I was in for, I never would have sought professional help.)

Just my two pennies.

Hawkins1701 on July 27, 2012 at 12:09 AM

He removed the body armor next to his car after exiting the theater.

He thought it was tacti-cool.

ETA: The body armor is easily defeated. Shoot the idiot in the face.

PolAgnostic on July 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM/blockquote>

He had months of planing..

“I didn’t expect you to get here so fast”?

He obviously wasn’t wearing body armor for the police..
The gas mask….
Where would this have been effective..?
Not to the approaching police….’

Electrongod on July 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM

i think this has been commented on before, but here’s the Hill’s article on schumer’s amendment limiting a magazine to 10 rounds

the comments are pretty funny…very, very few libs…at least in the comments i read (hiding under their desks)

makes possessing such magazines illegal with up to 10 years in the slammer if caught

reasonable…common sense solutions…lock ‘em boys

sleaze squared

r keller on July 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM

SparkPlug on July 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Dire? Hmmm.
Alright, I’ll join. Do we get cookies?

AllahsNippleHair on July 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM

SparkPlug on July 27, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Don’t accept the pudding, especially if a moron is passing it out.
I like flan though.

AllahsNippleHair on July 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM

I was SO PROUD of her!

PolAgnostic on July 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM

..I personally know people who pay women to do that!

The War Planner on July 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM

I don’t know anyone knowledgeable who uses anything bigger than 30 rd mags.

novaculus on July 27, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Not do I, except for this really neat twin mount 10/22 with a rotary firing crank. Taken very good care of, but even those mags bind once in a while.

Spring compression is something every competent gun owner should be aware of.

cozmo on July 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Ok I admit it.

I love the Cobbler, not BMore’s wifey. That doesn’t mean I hate her.

SparkPlug on July 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I have 2 sisters, neither married. Bread pudding sister has a shop/delicatessen in Prague and just opened her second in Karlovy Vary last year.

JPeterman on July 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM

SparkPlug on July 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Dire? Hmmm.
Alright, I’ll join. Do we get cookies?

AllahsNippleHair on July 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM

LoLz..:):)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Cindy Munford on July 26, 2012 at 11:56 PM

WND.com/2012/07/hillarys-chief-worked-with-al-quaida-front-man/

Its not official action… but its quite informative.

thatsafactjack on July 27, 2012 at 12:11 AM

First off …

Secondly …

Thirdly …

PolAgnostic on July 27, 2012 at 12:08 AM

What are you saying?
Are you saying I am on the side of James?

Electrongod on July 27, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I think this has been commented on before, but here’s the Hill’s article on schumer’s amendment limiting a magazine to 10 rounds
r keller on July 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM

..hell, 10 rd mags are a way of life out here in California unless you have a son who’s in the USMC reserves, if you know what I mean.

The War Planner on July 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM

The War Planner on July 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Someone, almost always a liberal, is ALWAYS saying something stupid like that …

… in the REAL world – even the SCOAMF would have busted a knee kissing that person’s a$$ and awarding them a Medal of Freedom.

PolAgnostic on July 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I was SO PROUD of her!

PolAgnostic on July 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM

..I personally know people who pay women to do that!

The War Planner on July 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM

That’s how Hillary pays for that westchester house.

AllahsNippleHair on July 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM

JPeterman on July 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Is the economy better in Prague than most of Europe? Branching out sounds daring these days. Are you still enjoying the Wild West?

Cindy Munford on July 27, 2012 at 12:14 AM

JPeterman on July 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Mohl byste mě představit tvé sestry?

:-)

coldwarrior on July 27, 2012 at 12:15 AM

What are you saying?
Are you saying I am on the side of James?

Electrongod on July 27, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I was using your post to air my thoughts on the whole “A conceled carry would not have made a difference” meme that is being floated by the LSM and those they serve.

PolAgnostic on July 27, 2012 at 12:15 AM

thatsafactjack on July 27, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Sen. McCain seems to be in an all fired hurry to shut down any inquiries.

Cindy Munford on July 27, 2012 at 12:16 AM

That’s how Hillary pays for that westchester house.

AllahsNippleHair on July 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM

*chortle*

..no, I mean..you know..real women!

The War Planner on July 27, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Oh, I don’t know, maybe because we just can’t trust you liberals? Because every time, let me repeat, every @#$% time you liberals have gotten that “reasonable gun registration”, it has been the predecessor to gun confiscation. Yeah, I know, you say that you only want those “reasonable regulations and restrictions, not to take away peoples’ right to own guns”. What you don’t vocally include, but always silently add is the closing phrase, “yet” to your statement.

So, no, we aren’t going to have a “rational” discussion on “reasonable gun control because we know that the only “reasonable” in your lexicon is the complete restriction of civilian firearm ownership and the elimination of our freedom. So, please, let me be very polite and tell you to get bent.

By all means, you are perfectly free to ask that question. However, it is also perfectly reasonable and correct for me to answer, “because I @#$%’n want to, go mind your own business.”

/I’m so tired of these frickin’ liberals always politicizing acts like this while ignoring the numerous cases where armed citizens have been able to defend themselves rather than be victims. See, for example the extensive media coverage of the 71 year old who stopped the armed robbery in the internet cafe. Oh yeah, there was no extensive coverage.

AZfederalist on July 27, 2012 at 12:16 AM

SparkPlug on July 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM

JPeterman on July 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Wow. That’s cool. Prague sounds kinda far away. But if the Bread Pudding is as good as you say I just might fire up my SUV and go on a road trip.

In the mean time I wish her the best of success. Does she make deliveries? (:

Ok I was kidding about that delivery thing.

SparkPlug on July 27, 2012 at 12:16 AM

HA..
I got to leave…..

There has been some questions levied by me…

I will have to answer them some other time.

Electrongod on July 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM

UndercoverInLA on July 27, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Bingo! The guy could have been taken out. These scumbag liberals are going to lie their way into a gun ban on the rest of us.

jawkneemusic on July 27, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Cindy Munford on July 27, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Senator McCain should take the opportunity to retire gracefully.

thatsafactjack on July 27, 2012 at 12:19 AM

..I personally know people who pay women to do that!

The War Planner on July 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM

LOL! I once suggested to my niece (she is tall, slender, blond and good looking) that she could vent her bitchy streak and make a lot of money being a dominatrix. Her response,

“No, not really. Anyone I could bring myself to whip or kick – I wouldn’t be able to control my disgust long enough to stop.”

PolAgnostic on July 27, 2012 at 12:20 AM

thatsafactjack on July 27, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I guess the chance to be called a maverick is too strong.

Cindy Munford on July 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM

PolAgnostic on July 27, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Oh..

I’am on the defensive right now..

I apologize for mis-characterizing your posts.

Electrongod on July 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Senator McCain should take the opportunity to retire gracefully.

thatsafactjack on July 27, 2012 at 12:19 AM

He won’t. He’ll be carried out to a hearse like KKK Byrd and The Swimmer were.

wildcat72 on July 27, 2012 at 12:23 AM

That’s how Hillary pays for that westchester house.

AllahsNippleHair on July 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM

*chortle*

..no, I mean..you know..real women!

The War Planner on July 27, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Oh, then you will love my girl Nancy. She was speaker, you know.

AllahsNippleHair on July 27, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Cindy Munford on July 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Is that what they’re calling it these days? Oh well… I guess a RINO by any other name…

thatsafactjack on July 27, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I just saw a sad story at Mediate. I know Ed Schultz is a goof but his wife has ovarian cancer. I’m sorry to hear that and hope she has a complete recovery.

Cindy Munford on July 27, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Did I miss Hot Air’s mention of FreePac?

Dana Loesch at FreePAC Take away line: “The media is supposed to be OUR watchdogs, NOT Barack Obama’s lapdogs.”

Senator Jim DeMint at FreePAC

Former president of the NAACP’s Garland, Texas Chapter, C.L. Bryant, brings down the house at FreePAC Take away line: “We are Americans and we will not bow down to any earthly king.”

Flora Duh on July 27, 2012 at 12:31 AM

thatsafactjack on July 27, 2012 at 12:19 AM

That is an excellent idea!..:)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Hawkins1701 on July 27, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I hear you.

I had a sequence of anxiety reactions a good while back in life that sat me down on my butt pretty firmly for a bit. A well meaning woman from across the street who couldn’t count as high as my IQ was speaking to me slowly and loudly, and I was puzzled, but realized eventually that she must have heard through the grapevine that I had “problems” or something. :) I was polite, felt sad for her, and realized that people were just going to do that. I also realized that before it happened to me, I would have been doing it with them — which was just another thing to admit deficient in a character that I was beginning to realize was pretty deficient. :)

Anyway, I’m with you. We need to be careful about keeping tools like these from the hands of persons with problems that make their possession of the tools unreasonable; but the laws need to be reasonably sophisticated, or they can’t do what we need them to do.

Axe on July 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM

I guess the chance to be called a maverick is too strong.

Cindy Munford on July 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM

However would he manage life without having an aisle to cross every day in an effort to achieve “compromise” or, IOW, totally capitulate to his “friends” on the Left?

Resist We Much on July 27, 2012 at 12:36 AM

*And giving the government an excuse to ban ownership of a rifle because someone has a clinical phobia or something — say, an irrational fear of spiders — would be a mistake. ADHD as a child? Banned. Phobic? Banned. Addictive personality? Banned. …

Axe on July 27, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Electrongod on July 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Later!

Beware the pistol shrimp dude.

Axe on July 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Resist We Much on July 27, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I know, life isn’t worth living if you can’t be in a “Gang of _____” whatever the current number is.

Cindy Munford on July 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Cindy Munford on July 27, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Unemployment in Czech Republic is about 7% and after a slow start to tourist season, things are rocking now. My sisters new shop is in the same town where they filmed that movie “The Last Holiday”

I really like it out here in Utah. Great people.

JPeterman on July 27, 2012 at 12:42 AM

here’s a charming little story about the Machine. one of the people in a mitt ad has been targeted by out lefty friends.

the union-leader wrote an article about how he had received some government loans…the barry campaign floated it out on twiiter…and voila…anger and rage from the machine

The caller was identified by Gilchrist through his caller ID. The man called from area code 630, which is the Chicago area. He has posted anti-Republican and anti-conservative messages on Twitter in the past, including a 2009 posts that said, “GOP needs to be eliminated,” and, “I am prepared to kill people. Let the tea bagers fire the first shot and I will pile up the bodies of the traitors.”

The other caller, to Gilchrist’s associate, names Gilchrist and calls him “a (expletive) liar,” a “(expletive) Republican piece of (expletive),” and told him to “burn in hell.”

Gilchrist said that between the emails and the calls, “I have to believe that this is an orchestrated effort. There are quite a few coincidences.”

and yes, the union-leader is exactly the paper who just stabbed romney in the back saying he should release tax returns back to forever or something so the axelrod and his crew gets the oppo research done for them

sweet

the union leader endorsed newt in the primaries…so i guess this is their way a pay back….which always more important the the country

r keller on July 27, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Beware the pistol shrimp dude.

Axe on July 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I know what you mean..:)

PS..Cue the music!..:)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 12:44 AM

The War Planner on July 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Intent to kill only becomes an issue if a threat is ended and you keep shooting. The situation either justifies deadly force or it doesn’t.

On the other hand, anyone who is properly trained understands you don’t shoot to kill anyway, but to stop, to end the threat. You aim for the center of mass because it is the best aiming point and the mostly likely to end the threat. (It is also most likely to cause mortal injury, but that isn’t why you aim there.) When the threat is ended, stop shooting. Survey your situation and if necessary move to a more secure location. Call 911.

The availability of body armor is the best argument for carrying a larger pistol or revolver. I don’t worry about body armor or head shots, because I know if I hit a threat in center mass with a double tap of .45ACP, that threat is going to be seriously degraded, body armor or no.

novaculus on July 27, 2012 at 12:45 AM

jrsrigmvr on July 27, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Dire too.

SparkPlug on July 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Say it ain’t so…

Gohawgs on July 27, 2012 at 12:46 AM

jawkneemusic on July 27, 2012 at 12:19 AM

“You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Admiral Yamamoto

Seventy plus years later …

The LSM is once again pursuing one of its Hot Button items.

Good! Keep it up!

Gun sales in Colorado skyrocketed the week after the shooting. My wife and I were at a gun show where we live the NEXT day. She commented she had NEVER before seen so many women by themselves (no man with them or advising them) buying handguns.

The SCOAMF and his ilk are going to run into a great big brick wall this November.

I want them spouting EVERY liberal agenda item as much as possible between now and then so every politician in Washington has a CLEAR understanding of what the American public just voted out of power.

PolAgnostic on July 27, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Flora Duh on July 27, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Guess its a good thing this isn’t the only place to get news. ; )

Bmore on July 27, 2012 at 12:48 AM

First off …

Secondly …

Thirdly …

PolAgnostic on July 27, 2012 at 12:08 AM

All good points, and I agree particularly to the second one, with this additional protective tip. One of the most effective devices I always carry, in addition to my two concealed handguns, is an extremely powerful (500 Lumens), but small (less than 6″ long) and lightweight (less than 6 oz.), flashlight. Its purpose is to temporarily blind the assailant (3-4 seconds), giving you time to flee or re-position for a shot out of his line of sight or, in this case, it would’ve bought enough time to charge the shooter and get him to the ground, too.

For those who might think “How dumb is it to use a flashlight, which could give away your position?”, 500 Lumens is so bright that the shooter has no way to tell where the flash came from. Such illumination works in broad daylight as well. It’s the next best thing to flash bangs, which aren’t exactly easy to conceal, and would be illegal for a civilian to carry anyway.

TXUS on July 27, 2012 at 12:51 AM

PS..Cue the music!..:)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Comments:

This is the theme to my mother in law.

Generalarceus32 1 year ago 98

LOL

Axe on July 27, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Gohawgs on July 27, 2012 at 12:46 AM

lolz..It isn’t so..:)

Dire Straits on July 27, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Heh.

Axe on July 27, 2012 at 12:58 AM

I don’t know anyone knowledgeable who uses anything bigger than 30 rd mags.

novaculus on July 27, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Spring compression is something every competent gun owner should be aware of.

cozmo on July 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM

I’ve seem those twin-mouth 10-22s, they look like fun. I have a couple of 30 rounders for my 10-22, but I don’t use them much. Good for plinking and making cans dance.

Spring compression and spring fatigue are issues for every pistol shooter to understand. I don’t know how many people have told me that modern springs won’t take a set and you can leave mags fully loaded indefinitely. I’ve seen spring fatigue happen often enough to know better. I rotate my carry mags, and part of the rotation is unloaded. Works for me. My stuff is basic but tuned properly for reliability. I rarely have a misfeed or stovepipe, usually go hundreds of rounds between jams.

novaculus on July 27, 2012 at 12:59 AM