Obama ad: “It’s a scary time to be a woman”

posted at 3:21 pm on July 26, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

I hate it — hate it – when I hear liberal groups talking about “women’s issues.” Please stop lumping me in to your stupid, sweeping stereotypes and implying that, just because I am a part of the gender demographic that composes approximately half of the world’s population, I automatically agree with you. I don’t. But that’s the appeal of continuing this utterly dumb “Republicans are waging a war on women” meme, I suppose — drumming up a false feeling of mass feminist solidarity and convincing the perhaps less-informed ladies of America that they have something they need to get outraged about.

Getting the full swing-state average-voter experience, I noticed this commercial on one of the closed-captioned television screens at the gym yesterday (by far my greatest exercise was in self-restraint, not taking off my sneaker and chucking it at the tv), but it doesn’t look like it’s available in an embeddable version online yet — you’ll have to follow the link to WaPo to watch.

A new ad from President Obama and the Democratic National Committee raises fears about Mitt Romney’s positions on reproductive rights.

“I’ve never felt this way before, but it’s a scary time to be a woman,” says 30-something “Jenni.” “Mitt Romney is just so out of touch.”

A female narrator chimes in: “Romney opposes requiring insurance coverage for contraception and Romney supports overturning Roe vs. Wade. Romney backed a bill that outlawed all abortion, even in cases of rape and incest.”

Jenni adds, “There’s so much to do. [W]e need to attack our problems, not a woman’s choice.”

It is most certainly and without a doubt not a scary time to be a woman. In fact, it’s probably one of the best times to be a woman in America, ever. Never before have women had so many available opportunities, choices, and independence — are we really going to subvert that independence by insisting that our gender entitles us to free stuff? “Romney opposes requiring insurance coverage for contraception.” I should very well hope so! Health care isn’t like free speech — it is the product of somebody else’s labor, and therefore nobody is entitled to it. If you’re going to make certain decisions of your own free will, ladies, you’d better be responsible for them and stop acting like you’re a victim who needs the government to protect you from your own judgment (talk about slippery slopes!). How much more demeaning can it get? And I realize that the abortion debate and Mitt Romney’s record therein is a much more involved can of worms, but Politifact rates the ad’s claims about Romney as “Pants on Fire”-worthy.

The “war on women” may very well be the most aggravatingly counterproductive meme the Democrats have come up with yet. Make it stop.

Update: Just kidding, I was wrong; the video is embeddable. Here it is:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

“The Right’s war on women…”

…uhh, apparently the Left saying that doesn’t want anyone to look too closely at Hollywood and what transpires there and how.

I’m rather weary of these gender-color-”orientation” “wars”. The Left continues to desperately TRY to agitate animosity and unhappiness simply because they have no other ideas. Or goals.

Lourdes on July 26, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Only stupid women fall for his lies.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Sadly, I know all too many of them.

Del Dolemonte on July 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Only stupid women fall for his lies.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Don’t overlook the stupid men who do, too.

Lourdes on July 26, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Ha! I love it.

inthemiddle on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Wipe your chin off.

Del Dolemonte on July 26, 2012 at 4:07 PM

It’s a scary time for a woman if she chooses to have an abortion in Chicago. They just leave you on the table for 5 hours and let you bleed to death. Thinking that beautiful woman who died last week could have been Obama’s daughter.

elm on July 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM

There is no possible way HIS daughter will ever be subjected to a government clinic to abort his grandchild. He would make sure that his granddaughter or grandson was aborted by the best doctor murderer, money can buy.

redlucy on July 26, 2012 at 4:08 PM

It is a scary time to be a woman. It’s a scary time to be a man, too. And it’s downright terrifying to be a dog.

We’ve got a President who is indiscriminate in his war on small business, big business, entrepreneurs, all energy but faded green, religious freedom, fetuses, dogs’ right to life, individuality, personal responsibility, freedom of speech, the Constitution, school choice, success, dignity for those who are temporarily on welfare, and….well, you get it.

It’s a scary, scary time to be an American.

LetsBfrank on July 26, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Who are these scared, helpless women, er, victims, who can’t do halvsies on a box of condoms? Or visit PP for free birth control?

Kyle_Reese on July 26, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Ha! I love it. Women should be terrified of Mitt Romney!

inthemiddle on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Oh, yes!! Mitt Romney is the scariest guy since Jack the Ripper!!!!
/inthemiddleofanervousbreakdown

Bitter Clinger on July 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Nervous Breakdown #19?

Happy Birthday to Mick Jagger. He’s 69 today.

Del Dolemonte on July 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I love Erika Johnsen’s posts. She cracks me up every time.

bluegill on July 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Amen. Erika and Mary Katharine actually are conservatives.

bw222 on July 26, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Ha! I love it. Women should be terrified of Mitt Romney!

inthemiddle on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Serious question: Do you really believe the crap you post here? No, really. Do you?

I continue to be amazed at the utter ignorance of the average voter. And, yes, itm, you “qualify” as average, since you are, as you say, “in the middle”. I’d say you were more properly known as a mean voter, but I’m not sure you’d get it.

totherightofthem on July 26, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Correction: “median” voter, but average will do for my purposes.

totherightofthem on July 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Ha! I love it. Women should be terrified of Mitt Romney!

inthemiddle on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

There are plenty of women of whom Obama should be terrified…you haven’t met my wife.

Trafalgar on July 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Actually it is a tough time under obama to be a woman since women have not been able to get jobs since this fool has been in the Whitehouse. I beleive 80% of all jobs have gone to men-Obama’s war on women.

Ta111 on July 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM

What’s really scary for women is the scant opportunities available for their children who are trying to find a job since Obarky took office.

Slainte on July 26, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Mumbles has marbles in his mouth AND skull, who knew!

D-fusit on July 26, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Oops, wrong thread.

D-fusit on July 26, 2012 at 4:24 PM

It is especially scary if you are a female in the womb….Come to think, if a woman goes to a planned parenthood or some other abortion mill, your life and mental health is at risk….so much for safe and clean and out of back alleys

crosshugger on July 26, 2012 at 4:26 PM

The left must be very desperate. They always ratchet up the hate in their race baiting every election and then pump up the class warfare between the income groups and now the war between the sexes. Too bad the left is too incompetent to have any kind of record to show why they should be elected and always incite hatred as their only reason to exist. Without hatred liberals could not exist.

volsense on July 26, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Ha! I love it. Women should be terrified of Mitt Romney!

inthemiddle Lucky Pierre on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

The world should be terrified of Lucky Pierre’s idiocy.

As a woman, if you think that I vote with my vajayjay, then I hope that you get stuck in the middle without any butt butter.

Resist We Much on July 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM

It is most certainly and without a doubt not a scary time to be a woman

Oh come now, just look around:

- The west is pulling out of Iraq and Afghanistan, leaving women to fend for themselves.

- Throughout the Middle East, secular governments are being replaced by Islamist and tribal leadership.

- Even in the White House, women are still making far less than men.

- The cadre in the White House seems more a “boys club” than in prior administrations.

- We’ve had a stimulus and other recovery-oriented programs helping mainly men.

- Job growth is negative for women and positive for men (if I recall correctly).

- Sex-selective abortion targeting females is at very high levels, even coming into play in the U.S.

- The generation they’re raising has less hope for the future than any in the better part of a century.

How can you say it’s not a scary time for women?

calbear on July 26, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Amen. Erika and Mary Katharine actually are conservatives.

bw222 on July 26, 2012 at 4:14 PM

The implication that Ed, Aloha, Jizz, Dustbowl, JE Dire and the rest are RINOs-In-Gold is ha bit harsh.

CorporatePiggy on July 26, 2012 at 4:31 PM

BTW, my teenage daughter is staunchly pro-life and not even interested in getting birth control pills, because she respects herself too much to have casual sex. And she despises Barack Obama.

My 19-year-old son, who will be voting in November for the first time, hates Obamacare and thinks that if he wants to have sex it is his responsibility to use protection. He is furious that Obamacare provides free oral contraceptives for women, but not condoms for men, and thinks that is discriminatory against men. I told him that is a feature, not a bug, because the whole thing was designed to pander to single women to get their votes. This just made him despise Obama even more.

rockmom on July 26, 2012 at 4:32 PM

What is really scary is being a tax paying, hard working American.

rjoco1 on July 26, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Women pay attention; Romney wants to make things like they were several years ago under Bush.

Remember Bush, when your personal economics were doing well, you had roughly the same rights we had now, and we had a functional economy?

Yes, that is the “horror” we’re trying to protect you from… Romney will takes women’s rights all the way back to 2007… HORROR!!!!

What… that’s about the argument here, right?

gekkobear on July 26, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Woman’s Rights is such BS. Call it what it is, abortion and being slutty or queer. Where were Gov. Palin’s rights when the femanazi’s bo-friggin-ho’d about Gov. Palin not aborting her child.

Wade on July 26, 2012 at 4:44 PM

i voted with a vajayjay once. wait, that wasnt voting, nevermind.

t8stlikchkn on July 26, 2012 at 4:58 PM

This ad has been running for a while in our area and it makes me scream. What kind of woman falls for this BS? This is a great time to be a woman, there are so many things I can do that were not possible for woman. I was raised by a strong independent woman and she raised me to believe I could really do anything I wanted to do. I hate the ad so much because I think woman should see through it, but sadly, some aren’t capable of thinking it through. I can’t express how sad that is.

megthered on July 26, 2012 at 4:59 PM

It may not be a scary time to be a woman, but it sure is a scary time to be a God-loving, freedom-loving, card-carrying American under this administration.

Sterling Holobyte on July 26, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Obama ad

“It’s a scary time to be a woman”

When you can’t make Catholics pay for your abortions its the Inquisition!

DANEgerus on July 26, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Hear, hear! Excellent post, Erika! It still enrages me how liberals denigrate women as stupid, irresponsible nymphomaniacs who only care about their womb.

John the Libertarian on July 26, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I am woman, hear me roar, I’m a victim!!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on July 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM

“It’s a scary time to be a woman”….because of gender selection abortion.

“It’s a scary time to be a woman”….because if you work at the White House, you will earn LESS than men who work there.

“It’s a scary time to be a woman”….because we have communists in the White House who are trying to purposely damage America.

“It’s a scary time to be a woman”….because of all the lies and propaganda emanating from our government and MSM.

“It’s a scary time to be a woman”….because the communists in the White House are completely ignoring the Constitution, and waging war on religious freedom, threatening conscience freedoms and because of this ~ threatening to shut down Catholic hospitals, and other institutions who truly are working for the common good.

November can’t get here fast enough!

KellyW. on July 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM

It’s a scary time to be an American, of that there is no doubt.

Buy Danish on July 26, 2012 at 5:23 PM

It is a scary time to be a woman. I am terrified of all the irresponsible debt this government is heaping on my children.

bitsy on July 26, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Bambi “The Condom President”

Texyank on July 26, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Liberal women are also terrified of carbon dioxide, alar in apples, and Chick fil A. Things we should actually fear like Islamofascism, a weakened military, imperial presidencies, Big Government, ObamaCare, a nuclear Iran, Taxmaggedon, unsustainable debt, yadda yadda yadda – hey, no problemo.

Buy Danish on July 26, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Lot’s of women find the possibility of abortion being illegal terrifying. They should know that one candidate supports overturning Roe v. Wade. And Ericka, given your lack of comment on that part of the ad, I think you may agree with me.

There’s nothing dishonest about calling it a scary time to be a woman in America when a major party candidate is running on a banning abortion platform – that is a legitimately scary possibility to many, many women.

ernesto on July 26, 2012 at 5:55 PM

ernesto on July 26, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Every Republican President since Roe v Wade has run on the same platform and, yet, abortion is still legal. Are women supposed to remain skairdy kats forever or are you gonna just milk fear every 4 years?

Neither Congress nor a President can “ban” abortion. Only the Court or a Constitutional amendment can ever ban abortion in America again and, although the Court came extraordinarily close to overturning Roe in 1992, it didn’t.

Stop treating women like we are all stupid, fearful idiots. We are not nor do we think/vote with our vajayjays. In case you haven’t noticed, there are far more important and dire events transpiring in the world.

Resist We Much on July 26, 2012 at 6:02 PM

ernesto on July 26, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I’m curious: why would not being able to terminate a pregnancy be terrifying? Stressing, I can understand, but terrifying?

Count to 10 on July 26, 2012 at 6:07 PM

ernesto on July 26, 2012 at 5:55 PM

How many Pinocchios should I award you? This is Romney’s oh so scary position:

Federal ban on abortions
No. Romney favors state level legislation.
“But while the nation remains so divided over abortion, I believe that the states, through the democratic process, should determine their own abortion laws and not have them dictated by judicial mandate.”

and

Roe v. Wade
Favors a repeal
“I’d like to see Roe v. Wade overturned and allow the states and the elected representatives of the people, and the people themselves, have the ability to put in place pro-life legislation.”

Buy Danish on July 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Erika,

You’re so great I want to have your baby!!!

koaiko on July 26, 2012 at 6:13 PM

It’s a skeery time in America because Romney is running on a platform to ban abortion, according to Obama.

How’s this for scary:

DOJ official refuses to promise that DOJ will NEVER advance an anti-blasphemy law

A stunning exchange took place today when Assistant AG Tom Perez of the DOJ Civil Rights Division refused to commit to the House Judiciary Committee Subcommittee on the Constitution that it would never advance a law criminalizing the right to criticize any religion.

The non-commital answer by Perez was in response to a question asked by Rep. Trent Frank (R-AZ): “Will you tell us here today that this Administration’s Department of Justice will never entertain or advance a proposal that criminalizes speech against any religion?”

Here’s the exchange:

Three guesses as to the religion and the first 2 don’t count.

Resist We Much on July 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM

So, while I don’t support a ban on early abortion, I have a problem with the “rape and incest” exceptions. Promoting them basically means that you don’t actually care about the life of the child, you see the pregnancy as just punishment (just not for the innocent victims of rape or incest).

Count to 10 on July 26, 2012 at 6:23 PM

It’s a scary time to be an American.

$56,000 debt per taxpayer in Obama’s first term. So that’s $112,000 per couple if they’re both taxpayers. So if we get another 4 years of Obama, conservatively, the bill for the debt he incurs would be about $224,000 per taxpaying couple. And that’s just the borrowed spending. Everyone who votes for Obama should be aware of that right up front. A vote for Obama is a commitment to pay the federal government $112,000 above and beyond your current federal taxes.

A VOTE FOR OBAMA IS A COMMITMENT TO PAY $112,000 ABOVE AND BEYOND YOUR CURRENT TAXES.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

talkingpoints on July 26, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Frankly, I agree with this ad.

Why ? Because any woman stupid enough to believe their lies should be slapped. So, yeah, dangerous time to be a woman – dumb enough to buy the Obama line of BS.

deadrody on July 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Buy Danish on July 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I never said federal ban. He supports state bans, which would probably pass in at least 1/2 the states.

The female populations in any red state have every right to fear a Romney presidency, should they consider the legality of abortion to be important.

ernesto on July 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Count to 10 on July 26, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Because at any time a medical complication could arise, one that could possibly threaten the live of the expecting mother. If I were a woman, and facing the possibility of lethal complications, I would be terrified at having no option but to roll the dice.

ernesto on July 26, 2012 at 6:43 PM

It certainly is a scary time to be a woman if you’re a victim of Obama’s muslim foreign policy in Iran, Egypt, Libya, and Syria.

txhsmom on July 26, 2012 at 6:47 PM

ernesto on July 26, 2012 at 6:43 PM

You’re an idiot. This is the safest time to have a baby in all of history if you live in America.

txhsmom on July 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM

txhsmom on July 26, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Yes, Obama writes policy for all those states! You see, it has always been the prerogative of the federal government to prevent the rise of islamist governments anywhere on earth.

ernesto on July 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM

txhsmom on July 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM

So what? The process is not yet devoid of danger. Fear is a perfectly reasonable emotion in the case of an expecting mother, and that fear is subject to the availability of options in the event of a catastrophic complication.

Face it – if being able to have an abortion is important to you, you have every right to fear a Romney presidency. As it stands, many, many American women find it important to have that option available to them. They have every right to fear a Romney presidency.

ernesto on July 26, 2012 at 6:54 PM

txhsmom on July 26, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Little Bammie will never accept a microgram of blame for his TFU in the ME. We can’t even get him to take responsibility for our own economy.

slickwillie2001 on July 26, 2012 at 7:06 PM

They have every right to fear a Romney presidency.

ernesto on July 26, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Wow you’re a big thinker.

When they find that gay or bi gene watch out.

Do you still lie about your sexuality ?

CW on July 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Its been an extra dangerous place to be a female in the US since 73. How many millions of females have been aborted at nearly 3000 a day…. yes Ernie THIS IS YOUR WORK . You advocate for it you pig.

CW on July 26, 2012 at 7:09 PM

ernesto on July 26, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Got an estimate on what small fraction of Americans want to illegality abortion of life-threatening pregnancies?

Count to 10 on July 26, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Count to 10 on July 26, 2012 at 6:07 PM
ernesto on July 26, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Ernesto: You are so blinded by your emotions on this subject that you can’t differentiate between oranges and apples. What country are you thinking that lets a woman die when there is a complication with a baby? Because it certainly ain’t this one. If there is a life threatening complication the pregnancy is terminated, but that is a decision that comes between the doctor and the parents, or the doctor on the spot if it is an emergency in the middle procedure. No one is talking about that, and certainly not Romney.

You know full well the debate is about abortion on demand which is a much different situation.

ptcamn on July 26, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Make it stop.

NO NO NO!!! Don’t make it stop! Let the Dhimmi’s rant and rave like the nit-wits they are. It only helps our possibilities in November.

oldleprechaun on July 26, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Got an estimate on what small fraction of Americans want to illegality make illegal abortion of life-threatening pregnancies?

Count to 10 on July 26, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Wow, that was garbled.

Count to 10 on July 26, 2012 at 7:17 PM

ptcamn on July 26, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Che will never admit that abortion in the USA is 99% about women that are too lazy to use birth control.

slickwillie2001 on July 26, 2012 at 7:22 PM

To the lady in the ad, Mitt Romney favors not requiring you to buy an entire INSURANCE POLICY in order to find your way to the contraceptives. He thinks you can choose what you want to do, not be dictated to by the Federal Government and the Human Services Secretary, please guard your freedom, AND your contraceptive freedom.

Reproductive freedom is the right to have all the children god has given to you, even if they are female babies.

(P.S. the insurance policy will charge you lots and lots more for lots of other things you don’t use or need, and require you to pay for it, BEFORE you get your pills.)

Fleuries on July 26, 2012 at 7:30 PM

txhsmom on July 26, 2012 at 6:47 PM
ernesto on July 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM

So Obama didn’t call for Mubarack to step down? We all guessed the islamofacists were going to take over. In fact, your ilk derided us as “dictator lovers”. Turns out we were right and woman are being raped (alive and dead), killed, forced to marry pedophiles and no longer allowed to work. Obama did that.

txhsmom on July 26, 2012 at 7:31 PM

ernesto on July 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Why should any sane human being fear not having a right to kill their gestating infant?

Seriously — deaths of mothers in childbirth are at an all-time low. What is so utterly terrifying about having a baby? Particularly when there are, oh, I dunno, half a dozen nearly foolproof ways NOT to have one if one would prefer not to have one?

I really do want to hear what kind of morally-inverted answer you can concoct out of your rectum to answer that question. I really do.

philwynk on July 26, 2012 at 7:32 PM

txhsmom on July 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM

ernesto on July 26, 2012 at 6:54 PM

You obviously don’t know any expectant mothers. Abortion is not what they are thinking of if they have complications. They are thinking about how to save both mother and child. And, many more babies born prematurely can now be saved thanks to advances in medicines.

If some woman wants to have an abortion she still can when Romney wins. You have already been corrected on this.

txhsmom on July 26, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Mubarack
txhsmom on July 26, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Heh. Freudian.

txhsmom on July 26, 2012 at 7:40 PM

“It’s a scary time to be a woman”

Hey, it’s a scary time to be an Obama.

petefrt on July 26, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Some women don’t scare so easily.

J.E. Dyer on July 26, 2012 at 8:06 PM

ernesto on July 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Another Pinocchio. He doesn’t support “state bans”. He supports the rights of states to craft their own legislation, which is as it should be.

Buy Danish on July 26, 2012 at 8:17 PM

That’s no Mooch…that’s a space station!

search4truth on July 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Okay, might as well close the thread here, folks. There’s no way we’re getting anything better than this.

Dunedainn on July 26, 2012 at 8:38 PM

You know what women need? An enormous, overbearing paternalistic federal government ruling every aspect of their live.

Slavery is freedom!

tom daschle concerned on July 26, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Jenni’s gonna be surprised when she goes in for her abortion in a couple of years and the IPAB rep says to her:

Yea, Jenni, we know it’s covered but…ya know…we just can’t afford it. Sorry, hon.

eeyore on July 26, 2012 at 9:12 PM

“It’s a scary time to be a woman”

Only if you have been conceived and not yet born and your mother pays a visit to Planned Parenthood.

Herb on July 26, 2012 at 9:56 PM

This just makes me sick.

I’d like to think I’m woman enough not to spend every waking minute wringing my hands about how to stop a beating heart.

That woman in the video is a rotten excuse for a strong woman. She whines at the camera.

It’s going to be hard to sleep tonight after watching this. Sigh.

LibertyJane on July 26, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Ernesto,

Reading your posts, one comes away with the feeling that you think the ‘right’ to abortion is the most important thing that defines being a woman. What a disgusting little prig you are.

zoyclem on July 27, 2012 at 7:36 AM

The way the liberals operate is exactly the same way a gang leader operates to recruit people to believe in and to join them. They prey on the young, the most vulnerable, the uninformed, the ones in a bind and needing an uplift and the inintelligent. If you don’t bother to educate yourself and keep yourself informed and if you rely totally on the liberal press, you will fall for his hype. If you are capable of caring for yourself and your family, then great, if not, why do you have a family?

j bo on July 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Only stupid women fall for his lies.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Oh. I’d like to meat some of them, I hear they’re easy.

woodNfish on July 27, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Its a scary time to be an American.

jomondo44 on July 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM