Obama ad: “It’s a scary time to be a woman”

posted at 3:21 pm on July 26, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

I hate it — hate it – when I hear liberal groups talking about “women’s issues.” Please stop lumping me in to your stupid, sweeping stereotypes and implying that, just because I am a part of the gender demographic that composes approximately half of the world’s population, I automatically agree with you. I don’t. But that’s the appeal of continuing this utterly dumb “Republicans are waging a war on women” meme, I suppose — drumming up a false feeling of mass feminist solidarity and convincing the perhaps less-informed ladies of America that they have something they need to get outraged about.

Getting the full swing-state average-voter experience, I noticed this commercial on one of the closed-captioned television screens at the gym yesterday (by far my greatest exercise was in self-restraint, not taking off my sneaker and chucking it at the tv), but it doesn’t look like it’s available in an embeddable version online yet — you’ll have to follow the link to WaPo to watch.

A new ad from President Obama and the Democratic National Committee raises fears about Mitt Romney’s positions on reproductive rights.

“I’ve never felt this way before, but it’s a scary time to be a woman,” says 30-something “Jenni.” “Mitt Romney is just so out of touch.”

A female narrator chimes in: “Romney opposes requiring insurance coverage for contraception and Romney supports overturning Roe vs. Wade. Romney backed a bill that outlawed all abortion, even in cases of rape and incest.”

Jenni adds, “There’s so much to do. [W]e need to attack our problems, not a woman’s choice.”

It is most certainly and without a doubt not a scary time to be a woman. In fact, it’s probably one of the best times to be a woman in America, ever. Never before have women had so many available opportunities, choices, and independence — are we really going to subvert that independence by insisting that our gender entitles us to free stuff? “Romney opposes requiring insurance coverage for contraception.” I should very well hope so! Health care isn’t like free speech — it is the product of somebody else’s labor, and therefore nobody is entitled to it. If you’re going to make certain decisions of your own free will, ladies, you’d better be responsible for them and stop acting like you’re a victim who needs the government to protect you from your own judgment (talk about slippery slopes!). How much more demeaning can it get? And I realize that the abortion debate and Mitt Romney’s record therein is a much more involved can of worms, but Politifact rates the ad’s claims about Romney as “Pants on Fire”-worthy.

The “war on women” may very well be the most aggravatingly counterproductive meme the Democrats have come up with yet. Make it stop.

Update: Just kidding, I was wrong; the video is embeddable. Here it is:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

…he should know!

KOOLAID2 on July 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Did Romney say he was overturning RvW?

Rich on July 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Fluke Obama.

Only stupid women fall for his lies.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I’d say yes it is a scary time to be a woman if your name is Julia.

Wolfmoon on July 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

And whatever you do, useful idiots, pay no attention to how women have fared under the Obama “Recovery.”

ConservativeLA on July 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I thought they already went down this road…

… Pantload’s stink must be toxic by now.

Seven Percent Solution on July 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Obama ad: “It’s a scary time to be a woman”

…Mooch hardest hit!

KOOLAID2 on July 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM

“[I]f you don’t have any fresh ideas, then you use stale tactics to scare the voters. If you don’t have a record to run on, then you paint your opponent as someone people should run from. You make a big election about small things.” – Barack Obama

mankai on July 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM

What really pisses me off is when guys like Rachel Maddow talk about “women’s rights.”

As if he could identify with anything involving women.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Did Romney say he was overturning RvW?

Rich on July 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM

He’s going to do it by executive order. Why not? Obama established the USA as a dictatorship.

The Rogue Tomato on July 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I see the left still believes women in general are stupid.

AubieJon on July 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Smell the flopsweat of panic on the left.

KrebsCyclist on July 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Obama’s internals must look even more horrific than I thought.

jukin3 on July 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Same sh!t, different election.

My personal favorite version of this was when Cameron Diaz went on TV claiming that W would legalize rape if he were re-elected.

teke184 on July 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

It’s embeddable now (at the end of the video).

eforhan on July 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

As if he could identify with anything involving women.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

The Rogue Tomato on July 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Only stupid women fall for his lies.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

There are plenty of them (don’t blame me for that statement, it is what it is) and I was thankful for that every day…when I was single.

cozmo on July 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM

excerpt: Erika Johnsen

Thanks for saying that, Erika.

It’s exactly right.

listens2glenn on July 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM

No one group respects women more than C/Rs. They grant them a mind of their own and treat them as equals, not as whining lillies.

Leftists are racists of the first degree by asking so little of the first black president. It is the ultimate form of bigotry.

Leftists are misogynists like no others. Their feminists are a risible lot.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Wat a minute, haven’t angryed and Honda been telling us for months that Romney is pro-abortion?

This ad may HELP Romney more than it will hurt him!

rockmom on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Ha! I love it. Women should be terrified of Mitt Romney!

inthemiddle on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

If it is a scry time to be a woman, it is because Obama is making it more difficult to get jobs, wants to tax,tax, tax and wants to make medical care less effective with his healthcaretax. He is also dividing America. THOSE are the things that make it scarier and scarier to be a woman – or a man or child for that matter.

lukjuj on July 26, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Obama: “It’s a scary time to be a woman”

…does JugEars think the pagina is changing or something?

KOOLAID2 on July 26, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Pitting little groups against one another, every opportunity they have.

Bmore on July 26, 2012 at 3:29 PM

… Pantload’s stink must be toxic by now.

Seven Percent Solution on July 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

It’s the smell of ‘cadavers’. Mock him out of town, so that eternally such charlatanry doesn’t repeat.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 3:29 PM

As if he could identify with anything involving women.

OhEssYouCowboys
on July 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I might stop laughing by bedtime . . . oh man . . . : )

listens2glenn on July 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Ha! I love it. Women should be terrified of Mitt Romney!

inthemiddle on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

They s/b terrified of gnat-like midget brains like you. You cost them a lot.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM

“Anyone who knows anything of history knows that great social changes are impossible without feminine upheaval. Social progress can be measured exactly by the social position of the fair sex, the ugly ones included.” ~Karl Marx

davidk on July 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM

…Mooch hardest hit!

KOOLAID2 on July 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM

That’s no Mooch…that’s a space station!

search4truth on July 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM

“Mr. Romney wants to get rid of funding for Planned Parenthood. I think that’s a bad idea,” Obama said. “I’ve got two daughters. I want them to control their own health care choices.”

But Obama continued, saying, “I think that’s a bad idea. I’ve got two daughters. I want them to control their own health care choices.”

-Obama. This week.

*cough cough8 OBAMACARE.

Ben Hur on July 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM

This ad may HELP Romney more than it will hurt him!

rockmom on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Great point.

listens2glenn on July 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM

It’s a scary time if you’re womon, living in America, who runs a small business, that’s for sure….

JFKY on July 26, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Ha! I love it. Women should be terrified of Mitt Romney!

inthemiddle on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

…doesn’t take much to amuse airheads!…put 20 pounds of pressure in…and they slowly leak onto the threads!

KOOLAID2 on July 26, 2012 at 3:32 PM

They s/b terrified of gnat-like midget brains like you. You cost them a lot.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM

No, women simply laugh at him and don’t return his calls. Why do you think he trolls Hot Air, to actually accomplish something?

CurtZHP on July 26, 2012 at 3:32 PM

When did Mitt ever support a bill to outlaw all abortions? Is this a distortion of reality or is it pure fiction?

J.S.K. on July 26, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Good Erika, no, don’t make it stop. Them, exposed as misogynists, is as swell to observe as them being the ultimate racists on the planet. They like women and minorities in the modern day plantations, just for power and votes.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Democrats sure are patronizing snots, aren’t they?

Democrats need women to be perpetually afraid, perpetually dependent. Because when they aren’t afraid, and they aren’t dependent, they quickly realize that in the Democratic Party, the place for most women is under Bill Clinton’s Desk, or alternatively, in line at the welfare office – childless, single, and alone.

BKennedy on July 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Ha! I love it. Women should be terrified of Mitt Romney!

inthemiddle on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Oh, yes!! Mitt Romney is the scariest guy since Jack the Ripper!!!!
/inthemiddleofanervousbreakdown

Bitter Clinger on July 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Pander alert!

the new aesthetic on July 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Ha! I love it. Women should be terrified of Mitt Romney!

inthemiddle on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

“Curse you, tiny toilet!!”

AubieJon on July 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Yes, I’m a 54-year-old married woman and I can’t WAIT to have to pay more for my health insurance because it has to cover contraception and STDs and IVF and childbirth.

rockmom on July 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Ha! I love it. Women should be terrified of Mitt Romney!

inthemiddle on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Perhaps you missed this part:

but Politifact rates the ad’s claims about Romney as “Pants on Fire”-worthy.

Do you believe anything that isn’t an abject lie? (rhetorical)

Kataklysmic on July 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Hear hear Erika

cmsinaz on July 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Hate their ads. We sit there screaming at Beckel, Juanito and any other lib that appears on FOX and you can throw in the Bloviator, too. He really showed his ignorance last night. This war on women ad throws stuff into the wind hoping it sticks somewhere.

Kissmygrits on July 26, 2012 at 3:36 PM

This must be part of the 95% positive campaign that Obama has been running according to Axelrod.

revolutionismyname on July 26, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Ha! I love it. Women should be terrified of Mitt Romney!

inthemiddle on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Because we’re all nothing but a vagina and a uterus, right?

And because only women have responsibility for birth control, right?

How Progressive!

rockmom on July 26, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Flower Drum Song hardest hit.

apostic on July 26, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Ha! I love it. Women should be terrified of Mitt Romney!

inthemiddle on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Not just afraid, but terrified. Is Romney going to rape them or something? If this is your best defense, then the election will be even wider than Reagan/Carter.

nobar on July 26, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Because 70% of job loss are among women?

bayview on July 26, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I can’t wait for Morning time in America.
My wife agrees.

Electrongod on July 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Leftists are great for HA Capitalims, the ultimat irony.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 3:40 PM

is she related to Julia…..?

ted c on July 26, 2012 at 3:40 PM

“It’s a scary time to be a woman” … especially if your husband’s last name is Kennedy.

bw222 on July 26, 2012 at 3:40 PM

They’re worried that they will lose this demographic as well. Last time I checked BO was still polling well with women.

However, didn’t Romney poll well with suburban women last time around? They were called ‘mittens’ or something.

Cody1991 on July 26, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I can’t wait for Morning time in America.
My wife agrees.

Electrongod on July 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM

“From Mourning to Morning” — 2012

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Flasback:

“Politics of fear”: Obama spokesman whines over Hillary ad mentioning Bin Laden
posted at 7:00 pm on April 21, 2008 by Allahpundit

The 30-second broadcast does not mention Obama by name, but the Illinois senator’s spokesman Bill Burton fired off a robust response and brought up Clinton’s vote in 2002 to authorize the Iraq war, which his boss opposed.

“It’s ironic that she would borrow the president’s tactics in her own campaign and invoke bin Laden to score political points,” Burton said.

“We already have a president who plays the politics of fear, and we don’t need another,” he said.

So Obama thinks “the politics of fear” is bad… except when Obama uses it.

ITguy on July 26, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Yeah, if you’re a Muzzie.

stenwin77 on July 26, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Who says the past 3-1/2 years haven’t been a scary time to be a woman? Certainly has been a scary time to be a good-lookin’ woman walking around the WH with Moochy there …

stukinIL4now on July 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM

“Its a scary time to be a woman”

Well…maybe Obama is speaking from personal experience.

Personally…I’m thoroughly insulted by the left and their continuing insistence that women are victims and somehow helpless.

thatsafactjack on July 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Ha! I love it. Women should be terrified of Mitt Romney!

inthemiddle on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Because we are all just a va—- and a uterus, right?

And only women should be responsible for birth control, right?

How progressive!

rockmom on July 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM

“Poor, poor little girlies. That big, bad Mitt Romney sure is scary, isn’t he? You girlies need Big Daddy Government controlling every aspect of your lives, so you don’t have to worry your pretty little heads about anything.”

– says Dear Leader, who still pays his women staffers less than he pays his men staffers for the same work, because he care soooooo very much about women’s issues.

AZCoyote on July 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Wasn’t it Obama that was critical of the politics of fear ?
That piece of work is a double. Fear mongering and attack.

No way Axelrod can run fro this nugget.

Jabberwock on July 26, 2012 at 3:45 PM

What kind of woman wouldn’t say PFO to such condescending crap?

I need to program their location into the AVOIDANCE cat. on my GPS.

CorporatePiggy on July 26, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Lefties are going to eat this ad up!

And they won’t realize that it only appeals to the 20% already in BHO’s pocket.

mankai on July 26, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Lordy – that’s a dumb ad, but, it is directed at dumb women, so, I guess it’s appropriate. Liberal women have voluntarily been enslaved by the democrat party for decades – it’s disgusting and sad. It’s time to BREAK THOSE CHAINS, Baby!

Pork-Chop on July 26, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Is he worried he’s going to lose the single-mom vote?

mankai on July 26, 2012 at 3:46 PM

“It’s a scary time to be a woman”

… espeically if you’re the unborn child in the womb of “pro-choice” mother who doesn’t want you and doesn’t want to go through the inconvenience of carrying you to term so you could be put up for adoption by a family that desparately wants a child and would love to adopt you.

Yes, then it’s definitely a scary time, because your mother can “choose” to abort your life without your consent.

ITguy on July 26, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Politifact rates the ad’s claims about Romney as “Pants on Fire”-worthy.

So many flaming trousers sprinting out of 0′s campaign HQ lately.

iurockhead on July 26, 2012 at 3:46 PM

If you ever do, please film it.

kim roy on July 26, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Ha! I love it. Women should be terrified of Mitt Romney!

inthemiddle on July 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Why is that??

Guys raping woman at Occupy encampments were..wait for it…

OBAMA SUPPORTERS.

ToddPA on July 26, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Under Obama, Medicare and Medicaid cut payments for mammograms a year ago. Plus, women can be denied Medicaid payments if they’re diagnosed with breast or cervical cancer at a clinic not covered under Women’s Wellness Connection (a government program). Worse, the women aren’t allowed to enroll in the program after the illness is discovered at such an unapproved site.

Liam on July 26, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Obama ad: “It’s a scary time to be a woman”
posted at 3:21 pm on July 26, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Erika, I love the way you write.

ITguy on July 26, 2012 at 3:48 PM

This would be the same basis for the whole OWS “99 percent” thing. Just because you’re part of a group, doesn’t give you the right to speak for said group.

Somehow, lefties just don’t get this basic truth … at least the useful idiots among them don’t.

Lost in Jersey on July 26, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Obama thinks Americans, yes women too, are stupid.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I thought they already went down this road…

… Pantload’s stink must be toxic by now.

Seven Percent Solution on July 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

That’s true and it didn’t really work the first. Have they run out of BS and lies already? This isn’t even a remotely decent !SQUIRREL!.

Get your popcorn ready because if this is all they have left…

kim roy on July 26, 2012 at 3:49 PM

*first time… sorry.

kim roy on July 26, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Is he worried he’s going to lose the single-mom vote?

mankai on July 26, 2012 at 3:46 PM

No. This is GOTV big-time.

Bitter Clinger on July 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Bain Capital didn’t make a dent so it’s back to the war on women, I see. What a putz.

totherightofthem on July 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Darn scary time to be a female–especially if you’re still in the womb praying for protection from the abortionist allies of the president!

Don L on July 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Why are these women so afraid of men? The heroes in my life are all men: Grandpa, Dad, and my hubby.

Hat Trick on July 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM

“It’s a scary time to be a woman”

says the guy who wants to impose sharia

burrata on July 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Women may not be able to find a desk job, but Obama is happy to provide them the necessary free tools to work in the oldest profession. And, if he is reelected, he will be giving speeches of how they didn’t bang their customers – it was the condom manufacturers, abortion providers and sidewalk pavers that made that happen. There are a lot of “hardworking” women out there.

The Count on July 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Barack Obama the Great Divider:
* Race
* Age
* Gender
* Income

bw222 on July 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM

[republican candidate] supports overturning Roe vs. Wade. [republican candidate] backed a bill that outlawed all abortion, even in cases of rape and incest.

Democrat playbook, page 37.

If you want to have some fun, bing search “outlaw abortion even rape and incest“.

The list of results is long, but distinguished.

Lost in Jersey on July 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Obama ad: “It’s a scary time to be a woman”

Indeed, it is…

In January 2009, the number of women employed was: 67.007m

In June 2012, the number of women employed was: 61.863m

In January 2009, the number of unemployed women was: 4.286m

In June 2012, the number of unemployed women was: 5.566m

The percentage change in the number of women employed between January
2009 and June 2012 has been a DECREASE of 7.677%.

The percentage change in the number of women unemployed between January 2009 and June 2012 has been an INCREASE of 29.865%.

PS: No President can “outlaw all abortions.” If that were the case, it would have happened a long time ago.

Next up, James Byrd’s daughter making a commercial about Mitt Romney hating black people and another “civil rights” group cutting ads that claim the election of a Republican POTUS will lead to the burning of black churches across the South.

So predictable.

Resist We Much on July 26, 2012 at 3:53 PM

totherightofthem on July 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM

It’s like being on a spin cycle. We’ll probably get a few more iterations of both before it’s over.

Bitter Clinger on July 26, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Don’t know about being a woman but it’s been a damn frightening time for one to go around being unborn.

Gingotts on July 26, 2012 at 3:53 PM

What’s “scary” is how many women seem to base their very existence on their continued ability to flitter about, from bar to bar, and when they find just the right guy, to bed him, in a drunken stupor, without taking any precautions against pregnancy, whatsoever, and then gushing in relief when that damned pest inside of their womb is sucked out, limb by limb.

That’s what’s “scary.”

OhEssYouCowboys on July 26, 2012 at 3:53 PM

The women in that ad sound like they’re afraid of their own shadows. They should just sit back and let the macho men of the Democratic Party protect them.

Splash Kennedy and Chris Dodd immediately jump to mind.

GarandFan on July 26, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Hat Trick on July 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Although I may have to add Erika to this list now.

Hat Trick on July 26, 2012 at 3:54 PM

One day on C-Span they were playing one of those Congressional events where they just have a camera rolling and capturing some event without commentary.

Joe Biden was swearing in new Senators and then having his picture taken with the member and the member’s family.

He was a complete lech. He would take that cheesy smile and the plugs and would comment on the members young daughters. He wouldn’t engage with men or parents just the young women.

The kind of guy you would NOT want your daughter working for.

“Scary Time to be a Woman” – it is if JoBi is around…

Marine WX on July 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM

It’s a scary time for a woman if she chooses to have an abortion in Chicago. They just leave you on the table for 5 hours and let you bleed to death. Thinking that beautiful woman who died last week could have been Obama’s daughter.

elm on July 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Jenni, if you are such a wuss that you need the government to buy your $9 a month birth control, you really aren’t strong enough to be a woman. Pretty much you’re a whinney whimp who needs someone to take care of you.

BTW, Jenni, if you’re taking your birth control, why are you worried about Roe v Wade? We get you think you are so special, you get to kill babies, but please don’t pretend you’re a woman. More like a whinney whimp of a spoiled little girl.

Portia46 on July 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I love Erika Johnsen’s posts. She cracks me up every time.

bluegill on July 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM

It seems like Obama and the Dems only see women as vagina’s. Never mind debt, or jobs, or international issues, or the home values, or any other issue facing America and the world. When it comes to women it’s all about their vajayjay’s and sex.

Ampersand on July 26, 2012 at 4:01 PM

DITTO.

I also can’t stand the Right when they attempt to mimic or replicate the Left’s “women’s issues” “group” think things…inevitably, what’s uncovered when you look closer at such is that there are Progressives involved attempted to again make the Right another version of the Left.

Lourdes on July 26, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Hat Trick on July 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Although I may have to add Erika to this list now.

Hat Trick on July 26, 2012 at 3:54 PM

But then it’s not a “Hat Trick” anymore.
TeeHee

Jabberwock on July 26, 2012 at 4:02 PM

“Planned Parenthood butchered Tonya Reaves, delayed her access to emergency care, then left the emergency room doctors to figure out what happened to her. By the time they discovered the true extent of her injuries, it was too late to save her life,” said Newman. “Planned Parenthood is trying to minimize their responsibility for Reaves completely avoidable death that appears to have resulted from a combination of their negligence, delay – possibly for the purpose of cover-up – and lack of communication with emergency providers. That abortion clinic is dangerous and should be closed. The abortionist should not be allowed to continue to inflict harm on women and should have his medical license revoked.”

elm on July 26, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Yeah, but — you aren’t a real woman.

Axe on July 26, 2012 at 4:04 PM