‘You didn’t build that’: When push-back falls flat

posted at 12:41 pm on July 26, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

He’s down to 35 percent approval among business owners, and that was before “you didn’t build that.” We’ll see in future polls exactly how they react to Obama’s July 13th comments in Roanoke. Until then, Obama’s trying to turn this around on Mitt Romney.

Yesterday was supposed to mark the Obama campaign’s “nuclear” response to the “you didn’t build that” attacks from camp Romney, with an emphasis on milk fees in Massachusetts while Romney was governor:

If you’re the Governor that raised a fee on milk and attempted to impose a $10 fee for a state certificate of blindness, it becomes clear why Mitt Romney doesn’t want to talk about his record as Governor on jobs or the economy or budget and taxes.

While I generally object to fee hikes of all kinds, if $38 million in negative advertising on Bain in June didn’t move the needle for Obama, is this line of attack likely to?

In response to Obama’s push-back, Team Romney sent out the entire clip of Obama’s remarks, notably unmanipulated or trimmed and a list of business owners quoted in local press taking umbrage at the president’s remarks. The beauty of the gaffe for Romney’s camp is the entire passage is offensive, even without “you didn’t build that.” As such, Romney’s campaign has been using the entire passage, in context, since its first attack ad on the subject.

If I were Obama, I wouldn’t have argued I was taken out of context, since the other team can so quickly prove that’s not the case. I would have argued I wasn’t talking about small business, but big ol’ meanie businesses with low effective tax rates and big lawyers making sure they get a bunch of write-offs. His original statement didn’t specify small business. Romney played it smart by making the business owner next door the face of their attacks. Obama took the bait. In the first sentence of his response ad, he concedes that ground:

“Those ads taking my words about small business out of context — they’re flat-out wrong,” Obama says in the commercial.

The whole rest of his campaign and ideology are about drawing those lines between “good” businesses and “bad” businesses, rich and poor, big and small (except all the rich people and big businesses he exempts from his paradigm for the price of a $35,000 plate of filet). Why not just claim this comment was more of the same? But you can’t do that if you start 11 days after the gaffe.

During Obama’s push-back, what was the No. 1 news story of the day for the left? A national jihad on chicken sandwiches. That’ll turn this around.

At least the Obama campaign is effectively educating the children about conservatives’ long-time objection to roads and bridges. From a mildly creepy pool report on Michelle Obama’s travels by the Dayton Daily News‘ Jeremy Kelley Tuesday:

FLOTUS joined a group of eight volunteers making phone calls, urging people to attend the campaign’s Weekend of Action events on July 28.

FLOTUS went up and down the table, hugging volunteers and talking to them about their lives. One volunteer, making calls with her college-age daughter, eagerly thanked FLOTUS for all she does, with FLOTUS responding, “Now don’t make me cry.”

The daughter had a quiet, emotional conversation with FLOTUS, saying at one point, “I just really want to try to build bridges.”

“We’re doing it all for you, for your generation,” FLOTUS told the daughter. She said to all the volunteers, “You’ve been working so hard. You keep us going.”

Update: Here’s a great place for the president to learn about how much hard work and intelligence it takes to make a business run, especially when dogged by changing regulation and uncertainty.

Update: Did George Lakoff build the “you didn’t build that” argument Elizabeth Warren and Obama employed?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

“You didn’t build that…somebody else made it happen”
is the noose around the neck of this Regime.

It is what Obama and the democrats really believe in.

wildcat72 on July 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM

A Fool is President, a fantastic marionette.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Gag me with a spoon FLOTUS.

Cindy Munford on July 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Why does Obama keep asking the rich (small business) to pay more?

I thought they did not build anything?

What is Obama building with the higher taxes robbed from small business??????

redguy on July 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM

They are flailing out of utter desperation, and I’m loving every minute of it.

UltimateBob on July 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Wait until the executive order legalizing pot comes out weeks before the election.

You know it’s coming…

HopeHeFails on July 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM

The best part is the GOP is now playing the idiotic quote in context, and analyzing each line before and after.

Chuck Schick on July 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

“Solyndra Didn’t build that”, or at least they never got around to it.

oldroy on July 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

It’s almost like God intervened to save America and stuck those words in his mouth.

aquaviva on July 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Why are the Democrats waging a war on chicken…?

NeoKong on July 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

It was a Freudian slip, the same as so many others:

- gun-toting, bible-thumping…in San Francisco speech

- we tried our plan, today in the HA Obamateurism thread

- the middle class is doing fine

- the Arab Spring

- leading from behind

- as exceptional as Great Britain

Socialists/communists, rejoice!

However, there’s no man, no mensch, no curtain, not even a room.

This is a tiny little underdeveloped teenager pretending to be president. The land was tomfooled by charlatanry.

Media, spontaneously combust for allowing it to happen.

To expect so little of the first black president is the ultimate form of racism. Talk about the soft bigotry of low expectations! A great thesis will be written on topic, hopefully soon.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM

“Chevy didn’t build the Volt” – if I were GM this is what I would claim, and fast.

oldroy on July 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM

“Dammit, Romney was just supposed to roll over like McCain”
/Preezy Hope & Change

Bitter Clinger on July 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM

heh

mr thin skin can’t handle it….

ordering more popcorn…

cmsinaz on July 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Funny that the original Obama statement happened on Friday the Thirteenth. Karma dude.

meci on July 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM

“You didn’t build that…somebody else made it happen”

This statement is just part of Obama’s plan. He intends to use it as a defense for the mess he will inherit if re-elected. See? The smartest Pres EVAH!

ghostwalker1 on July 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Bitter Clinger on July 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM

exactamundo!!!

waiting for the race card to be pull its been more than 24 hours since it was pulled last

cmsinaz on July 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

There’s more to mine from that Roanoke speech than just the “You didn’t build that.” The “there’s lots of smart people out there, lots of hard working people out there” is a good place to start.

The contempt for the successful person drips like an overly-buttered ear of corn. Let’s chomp it!

Also, the bit about the government creating the Internet: Oh, really? Perhaps a history lesson might be nice here, starting with Xerox followed by a few juxtapositions with Al Gore’s lovely giant head claiming he invented the Internet.

MaxMBJ on July 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

err…whut?

ted c on July 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Obama’s mask has fallen to the floor.

kingsjester on July 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

You didn’t build that Chick-fil-A franchise, the government did. Oh, wait, er . . . never mind. Really, though, you didn’t build that plant that manufactures semi-automatic weapons, the government did. Crap, erase that. . . . Hey, the government DID build Solyndra. See.

maubman on July 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

It doesn’t help O’s case when the Dems in the Senate just voted to raise taxes on the very people he claims didn’t build their businesses – people he is desperately trying to convince us he luvs, luvs, luvs after scorning their achievements, intelligence and hard work.

Buy Danish on July 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

“You didn’t build that…somebody else made it happen”
is the noose around the neck of this Regime.

It is what Obama and the democrats really believe in.

wildcat72 on July 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Absolutely, 100% correct.

0bama’s comments about there being “lots of hard working people” who helped business owners along the way is just another way of repeating the left’s mantra of “You rich people got rich on the backs of the poor.”

Same old populist crap.

UltimateBob on July 26, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Flotus is creepy. Period.

kingsjester on July 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM

The daughter needs to help vote Mrs. Obama’s husband out of office.

Barack Obama has been too busy burning bridges with his class warfare schtick to get any built.

MessesWithTexas on July 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Lalalalalalalalalalal is all the land hears any more…they tuned the faux Messiah out.

———-

Thanks for the laugh of the day. If they wouldn’t have muzzled her a long time ago she’d embarrass them several times a day. What a dummy.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM

So, according to this article 200,000 small businesses have failed.

So since the owners don’t get the credit for success, whose fault is it that these 200,000 failed?

dentarthurdent on July 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM

OT, but can we say “plants”?
In fact, the Obama Campaign even had a copy of their bios on hand.
And, one of the veterans just happens to be an Obama for America volunteer!

lovingmyUSA on July 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Flotus is creepy. Period.

kingsjester on July 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM

You show your bias against creeps.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM

err…whut?

ted c on July 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

My thought exactly. Does she want to be a bridge engineer? Otherwise, her statement doesn’t compute.

Bitter Clinger on July 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Obama’s mask has fallen to the floor.

kingsjester on July 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

For me, it fell clear off back in 2008 when he talked about spreading the wealth around, and about electricity rates necessarily skyrocketing under his plan.

UltimateBob on July 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Flotus is creepy. Period.

kingsjester on July 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM

You show your bias against creeps.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Creeps are indignant.

Bitter Clinger on July 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM

BHO isn’t as smart as BHO thought.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Yeah, I know. I can’t help it. I was just born this way.

kingsjester on July 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM

…with FLOTUS responding, “Now don’t make me cry…

Boo-hoo!

Strolling down FLOTUS’ Memory Trail of Tears:

“Everywhere I go, no matter what, the women in the audience, their first question for me is, ‘How on earth are you managing it, how are you keeping it all together?’

“It’s a constant sense of guilt. It’s guilt, feeling guilty all the time.

I’m fine, because I have a strong informal support network. I have a mother who lives five minutes from me. I don’t know what I would do, even if we weren’t running, I don’t know what I would do as a professional without having that kind of support system. So that keeps me sane.

“I know we’re spending — I added it up for the first time — we spend between the two kids, on extra-curriculars outside the classroom, we’re spending about $10,000 a year on piano and dance and sports supplements and so on and so forth. And summer programs. That’s the other huge cost. Barack is saying, ‘Whyyyyyy are we spending that?’ And I’m saying, ‘Do you know what summer camp costs?’

“We don’t complain because we’ve got resources because of our education. We’ve got family structure. So I tell people, ‘DON’T CRY FOR ME.’

The salaries don’t keep up with the cost of paying off the debt, so you’re in your 40s, still paying off your debt at a time when you have to save for your kids.

“Barack and I were in that position. The only reason we’re not in that position is that Barack wrote two best-selling books… It was like Jack and his magic beans. But up until a few years ago, we were struggling to figure out how we would save for our kids. We left corporate America, which is a lot of what we’re asking young people to do. Don’t go into corporate America. You know, become teachers. Work for the community. Be social workers. Be a nurse. Those are the careers that we need, and we’re encouraging our young people to do that. But if you make that choice, as we did, to move out of the money-making industry into the helping industry, then your salaries respond.”

“So I tell people, ‘DON’T CRY FOR ME.’”

- Michelle Obama, Zanesville, Ohio, February 2008

Don’t Cry For Us, America!

M2RB: Joe Jackson

Resist We Much on July 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM

FLOTUS responded, “even if you build a bridge, you didn’t build it.”

lorien1973 on July 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM

If I were Obama… I would have argued I wasn’t talking about small business, but big ol’ meanie businesses with low effective tax rates and big lawyers making sure they get a bunch of write-offs. His original statement didn’t specify small business.

That won’t work either, actually. The remarks were made specifically to defend raising income taxes on the wealthy by letting the Bush tax cuts expire. The most effective response the Republicans have to this is the fact that something like 48% of small business owners file as individuals. He was trying to counter that argument by saying those business owners owe more because they built their success on a public infrastructure.

(And of course, he left out the part that the public infrastructure provides the same opportunities to everyone, while it is paid for disproportionately by the successful)

But big businesses are usually covered by corporate tax rates, which aren’t what Obama was talking about raising. So he can’t claim that was who he was attacking.

Caiwyn on July 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM

At some point, I still will not have heard “you didn’t build that” enough.

Eat it, Libtards!

St Gaudens on July 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Stalin, Marx, Engels, Mao, Castro, Guevara, Pol Pot, ‘Lil Kim and his son, Chavez, Hitler, the list just keeps on going. Do you know what they ALL have in common?

They ALL said they were doing “it” for “you”.

Funny. An awful lot of “thems” had to die and be subjugated, in order to help “you” though.

KMC1 on July 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM

UltimateBob on July 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Yep. But, this, is the cherry on top. Something, so clear, that he can’t walk it back.

kingsjester on July 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM

If poor people use roads and bridges too, why don’t we raise their taxes?

mankai on July 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM

“…you didn’t build that…”

And yet… and yet… in his business, he does everything better than those he hires!

“I think I could probably do every job on the campaign better than the people I’ll hire to do it… It’s hard to give up control when that’s all I’ve known.”

“I think I’m a better speechwriter than my speechwriters. I know more about policies on any particular issue than my policy directors. And I’ll tell you right now that I’m gonna think I’m a better political director than my political director.”

Good job, champ. You built it!

de rigueur on July 26, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Besides getting a civil engineering degree, you’ll have to be government civil service then, cuz didn’t you hear – the government builds all the bridges and highways and stuff.

dentarthurdent on July 26, 2012 at 12:56 PM

FLOTUS really cares about the Little People. She thinks they’re adorable.

Cicero43 on July 26, 2012 at 12:56 PM

The Olympics ad against Romney was shameful. It belittles the Olympics and the Olympians, and makes the leftists look like anti-Americans and anti-Olympics.

Oh what fools they are!

Nothing, but nothing is sacred any more.

Obama and his thugs have zero decency.

“Once we were assured that Mitt Romney and his allies would be held to the same standard, we were glad to take the ad down from our Web site,” said Priorities spokesman Bill Burton. “Go Team USA!”

Bovine caca…you have no morals, no decency, no love for the Olympics and the Olympians, none.

The committee should have requested the ad/s, from both sides, to not run, on moral grouds, because they belittle the event.

Nothing, but nothing is sacred any more and the ones who went there s/b ashamed, s/b shunned.

Thugs and goons, no more, no less.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 12:56 PM

This is all too sweet, popcorn supply running dangerously slow must go to grocery store. This just could be a great 100+ days. Keep banging away at Mr. Thin Skin, it’s working. Don”t let up!

D-fusit on July 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I believe that Obama’s plan is to drive the small businesses OUT of business, and have the government take over the big businesses (as they already have with GM, and started to do with healthcare, student loans, etc.)

ITguy on July 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Ham-time, just out of curiosity, if you were President, what would you have the First Gentleman do besides work his job? Mainly, how, if at all, would you have him help your campaign/presidency?

dgarone on July 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM

We have hit rock bottom, and begun to dig……

ted c on July 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM

“You didn’t build those bridges; Barack did” – Michelle Obama

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Milk? Hasn’t the Obama administration ramped up the war on raw milk?

theperfecteconomist on July 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM

err…whut?

ted c on July 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Its dog whistle for “I want a gubmint job”

VietVet_Dave on July 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM

If you’re the Governor that [sic, who] raised a fee on milk

Ah yes, that Harvard Law Review background really shows up, don’t it?

tkmcp on July 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM

The “Cash for Clunkers” Pimp is whoring for a new gaffe. Wait about 3 days, with or without a prompter.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Go to the Legal Insurrection blog if you wish to understand the source of “you didnt build that…”

southsideironworks on July 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM

aquaviva on July 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

One hell of a post right here! BRAVO!!

ToddPA on July 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Lean forward, my little lambs

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM

oldroy on July 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Good one. Coffee is all over my desk.

antisocial on July 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM

$10 fee for a state certificate of blindness

That’s a pretty nominal fee for something that helps guarantee a lifetime of benefits. Romney was probably trying to cut down on fraud.

pookysgirl on July 26, 2012 at 1:01 PM

dentarthurdent on July 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Great point.

BTW, what does that screen name mean? Is it “Dent… Arthur Dent,” as in “Bond…. James Bond?”

UltimateBob on July 26, 2012 at 1:01 PM

“We’re doing it all for you, for your generation,” FLOTUS told the daughter.

Did Moochelle tell her that she now owes $30,000 more than she did four years ago?

I guess that “Doing it all for you” means something different for her.

jukin3 on July 26, 2012 at 1:01 PM

“Lean forward, my little lambs“

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM

and get ready for a big ol sandusky surprise…..

dentarthurdent on July 26, 2012 at 1:02 PM

“We’re doing it all for you, for your generation,” FLOTUS told the daughter.

LOL. Yes, that Five Trillion in new debt they’ve racked up, that’s all for you, you lucky young people!

And all those expensive (for taxpayers) vacations in five-star resorts and multi-million-dollar enclaves in places like Martha’s Vineyard and Hawaii? That’s all been for you too, kiddies. Because Michelle cares soooooo much.

AZCoyote on July 26, 2012 at 1:03 PM

UltimateBob on July 26, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Sort of – refer to “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”.

dentarthurdent on July 26, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Memo to gullible young girl who just wants to build bridges, kumbaya. This is what FLOTUS thinks, and it’s not about bridge building; it’s about forcing you to live according to her demands and those of King Barack:

Barack Obama will require you to work. He is going to demand that you shed your cynicism. That you put down your divisions. That you come out of your isolation, that you move out of your comfort zones. That you push yourselves to be better. And that you engage. Barack will never allow you to go back to your lives as usual, uninvolved, uninformed.

Buy Danish on July 26, 2012 at 1:04 PM

cmsinaz on July 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

…jeepers creepers…wonder how he won the last election?…didn’t realize there were that many black voters!

KOOLAID2 on July 26, 2012 at 1:04 PM

“We’re doing it all for you, for your generation,” FLOTUS told the daughter.
I guess that “Doing it all for you” means something different for her.

jukin3 on July 26, 2012 at 1:01 PM

So what did they NOT do for the 200,000 small businesses that have failed during Obummer’s recession?

dentarthurdent on July 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Roanoke: The lost Colony Presidency

Valkyriepundit on July 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM

It’s been said by many others, but worth repeating …

If, as you claim, those words were taken out of context, what was it exactly that you meant then?

Lost in Jersey on July 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM

You didn’t build that? You didn’t earn the presidency then Obama(Geraldine Ferarro said you got it because of misguided government affirmative action) and Mr. President; why are you denigrating the decades of hard work of your liberal education establishment that spent years giving little non-producers self-esttem. No wonder little Barry believes that stuff.

Don L on July 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Control the message.

Romney needs to do a lot more of this.

Let Romney set the agenda and choose when and where he will lay out another series of ads.

But, he needs to let that petulant Pr*ck child currently occupying the White House understand clearly that every word uttered by Obama over Obama’s entire lifetime is now fair game…all of it.

Romney sets the agenda.

Obama spends millions trying to “tell folks” that what he said is not what he really meant.

At that point, the public will begin to realize that Obama has either never meant anything he has ever said; or that he is afraid to defend his own record (what little of it there is)…and pretty soon, even those on the left will finally see the Emperor has no clothes…he is a total empty suit.

Most foreign leaders understand this already.

Wish more of our national leaders would do the same and proclaim it across the land.

Mr. Romney, get to work. You’ve nothing to fear.

Take this guy apart one word, one phrase, one sentence or paragraph at a time.

By the time you actually get the nomination, Team Obama will be a whining, discombobulated, angry, shrill bunch of obvious losers.

Make it so.

coldwarrior on July 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM

HopeHeFails on July 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Actually that might be a good idea. All the pot heads will be too busy chooming to go to the polls and vote. Anything that depresses the stupid vote for Zero is a good thing.

chemman on July 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM

So you would have come up with a better lie?

The Rogue Tomato on July 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM

If this indeed the turning point in Downgrade’s downfall Future triskaidekaphobics will feel vindicated.

Chip on July 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM

“You didn’t build that” is like the most powerful gift ever from one campaign to another. It’s simple, concrete, credible because of its source and his record of governance, and supports any number of testimonies from business owners and entrepreneurs.

You could produce out one campaign ad after another of American workers, business owners, and entrepreneurs standing in or in front of their e.g. store fronts, poultry yards, construction sites, corn or wheat fields, laboratories, steel mills, conference rooms with white boards, drilling platforms in the gulf of Mexico, machine shops, taco trucks, book binderies, printing presses, server farms, or factory floors saying “Yes, Mr. President, I built that” in response to a black and white image of Obama saying “You didn’t build that.”

casuist on July 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Barky needs to go back to his “It’s not that I want to punish your success” line. He won in 2008 with that beaut.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 26, 2012 at 1:10 PM

If you’re the Governor that raised a fee on milk starved kittens and attempted to impose a $10 fee for a state certificate of blindness steal money from the blind, it becomes clear why Mitt Romney doesn’t want to talk about his record as Governor on jobs or the economy or budget and taxes.

Mitt is a monster.

BHO is pro-kitten.

This election is about choice.

nico on July 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM

aquaviva on July 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

And he said it on Friday the 13th.

Del Dolemonte on July 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Jon Stewart was spinning like a top for Obama on this issue last night. Full condescending snark coated democrat talking points.

MechanicalBill on July 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Maybe a bit ‘off topic’, though possibly not: How in the world will the emperor be able to participate in a Presidential debate? Every time he opens his mouth ‘off script’ he says something insanely stupid.

If he uses a teleprompter or an ear bud, then the debate is not valid,, because his support staff will be answering the questions, not Obama. Therefore, it will be a pretty safe assumption that his handlers will not want him participating in a debate.

The solution to that is for him to have an ‘emergency’ as an excuse to skip the debates, OR he will declare a national emergency and the debates will be a moot point, since the elections will be cancelled.

food for thought…

xmanvietnam on July 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Obama’s “You didn’t build that” remark is worse than you think. It was devastating on it’s face but it also will undermine his entire attack strategy against Romney as a successful business man.
Whenever he attacks Romney during the debates etc…Everyone will remember that this is a man who does not appreciate, hard work, sacrifice, risk and our free enterprise system.

Natebo on July 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

You mena like tax-me-more Warren’s Berkshire-Hathaway??????

dentarthurdent on July 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

coldwarrior on July 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM

But that would be racist! I bet you have eaten at Chick-Fil-A.

Cindy Munford on July 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

So you would have come up with a better lie?

The Rogue Tomato on July 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM | Delete | Delete and Ban

This entire passage is preceded by “if I were Obama.” I’m just remarking on campaign strategy and an explanation I think could have even plausibly been true, not advocating big ol’ lies. That’s plenty obvious, though.

Mary Katharine Ham on July 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

aquaviva on July 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was an answer to prayer.

The Rogue Tomato on July 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Absolutely, 100% correct.

Same old populist marxist crap.

UltimateBob on July 26, 2012 at 12:51 PM

There, FIFY.

bgibbs1000 on July 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

BHO is pro-kitten.
nico on July 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM

As in – fatten them up for dinner…..

dentarthurdent on July 26, 2012 at 1:13 PM

“I just really want to try to build bridges.”

Ah, here we have a supporter of Ted Stevens’ “Bridge to nowhere”. So nice of her to self identify.

Greg Q on July 26, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on July 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Thank God you’re not Obama. I do understand what you meant, although I might have preceded it with “If Obama were a smarter liar”. ;)

The Rogue Tomato on July 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Michelle slays me!

Yeah… those 17 vacations the Obama’s took in 3 1/2 years were ALL for the people of this nation!

All those designer clothes, right down to the $750 rubber boots she bought ( that the rest of us can get for about $15) to wear in her ‘garden’ photo ops, were all for the people of this nation. That would have to include that white dress with the black smears all over it she chose to wear for the photo op of her and Barry on the beach during the BP Ocean Horizon Gulf oil spill while she told US to go to the beaches of the Gulf for a vacation, while she and Barry blithely went off to vacation at… MARTHA’S VINEYARD. And that ridiculous, and embarrassing, pink and blue sofa fabric poodle skirt affair she wore when she met the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at Buckingham Palace on their return from their honeymoon. I guess a little humiliation is good for the nation’s character… that must have been it.

I’m just about positive that the separate jet she took to Martha’s Vineyard because Obama was detained on the nation’s business… for a WHOLE 4 1/2 HOURS… and the separate escort and motorcade that it required….THAT was all for the people of this nation.

Or… maybe the separate jet to Hawaii because, again, Barry had to, you know, actually try to look like the president, and she didn’t want to wait around for him to start her vacation… THAT must have been about the welfare of the nation, too!

I know…. it MUST be all those gala parties at the WHITE HOUSE.. THOSE must have been for the benefit of the nation…. except… we weren’t actually invited…

And shutting down half of NYC so that they could have ‘date night’ and go to the theater… must have been a selfless act to show the nation how one behaves on a night out..

Yeah… the lengths that couple goes to entirely for our benefit! the poor, poor things! /

thatsafactjack on July 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM

MaxMBJ on July 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

And don’t forget that the very first ISP on the Planet (1989) was (and still is) a private company. And that the government didn’t build the phone lines and other infrastructure that make the Internet accessible to all.

Del Dolemonte on July 26, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Gaffe? He meant it 100%. That is what Obama believes in, socialism… Do you really think that you are being “fair” for saying it is a gaffe when it is absolutely not a gaffe? Stop the crap and do not call it a gaffe.

mnjg on July 26, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Heh, BD, why there are more on welfare and food stamps than ever before, more on disability, more of this, and the election is still in Nov, not now.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Every year as a teacher I had to sit through a so called motivational presentation for teachers on our first day back to school. In 1998 they invited a speaker that told us that the current generation of students just weren’t capable of performing like previous generations. I got up and walked out at that point. The educational system has believed in the soft bigotry of low expectations for all students for a long, long time.

chemman on July 26, 2012 at 1:17 PM

food for thought…

xmanvietnam on July 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Or, he could have the networks play the entire debate on a 5 minute delay with some creative “on-the-fly” editing.

BTW, has anyone seen my hat? It’s shiny and silver and is sorta triangular.

Lost in Jersey on July 26, 2012 at 1:18 PM

You didn’t build that

The union thugs at GM didn’t build the company (they only worked for it as employees and drove it into the ground with the un-Constitutional closed-shop idiocy) and the feral government didn’t build it, though they forced the closed-shop idiocy on GM by force of law, but they both ended up owning the company.

Q.E.D.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 26, 2012 at 1:18 PM

well, the obligatory Chick-Fil-A reference has already been made in this thread.

Only thing left now is the Chicken Dance. (Dance, my fellow minions! Dance!)

apostic on July 26, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Oh no, they’re not going nuclear on those increased milk fees..!

d1carter on July 26, 2012 at 1:18 PM