Congressional leaders weigh in on gun-control debate

posted at 6:41 pm on July 26, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Both President Obama and Mitt Romney have now weighed in with words that are vague on specific deeds since last week’s deadly shooting in Colorado sparked a major national gun-control conversation, and Congress must also have their oh-so-careful say.

Pelosi on Thursday said Obama’s careful approach is the right one. “I support what the president said yesterday,” Pelosi told reporters in the Capitol. “I thought his comments were very thoughtful [and] provided leadership when he said we need to build a national consensus to reduce violence in our country.”

She’s not the only Democratic leader bucking calls from some in the party to move swiftly to install tougher gun laws in the wake of the Colorado massacre.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), a strong gun-rights supporter, dismissed the idea that the Senate would consider gun-control legislation — or take the lead on that issue — anytime soon.

“With the schedule we have, we’re not going to be able to do anything on gun control,” Reid told reporters.

Just further evidence that, despite the many heated discussions and the high-profile appeals for more gun control in the last few days, nothing major is going to come of it, and definitely not before November’s election. Gun rights are far too popular with far too many Americans to risk appearing sympathetic with the idea of any radical new gun control legislation, as even any Democrat coming from a non-urban constituency can tell you. And of course, as Boehner points out, criminals aren’t supposed to have AK-47s — that’s a law that’s already on the books, and paying some lip service to better enforcement of that law is a pretty safe way to sound actively engaged without being controversial.

Comments

First. Man, that’s ugly.

msupertas on July 26, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Yes. Let’s work to create a consensus that mass murder is to be frowned upon. I’ll get on the website.

Axe on July 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Second. Still ugly.

msupertas on July 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Yucking Futs!
My eyes!!!!!

AllahsNippleHair on July 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM

so lsm-shut up, nothing is going to happen…

ENOUGH

cmsinaz on July 26, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Aliens without visas aren’t supposed to walk over the border either, but I don’t see anyone doing anything about that.

Cicero43 on July 26, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Second. Still ugly.

msupertas on July 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I poop upon your delusions of “second.”

*snff*

Pathetic third with delusions of grandeur.

Axe on July 26, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I’m surprised cause politicians are known for their backbone and courage

Slade73 on July 26, 2012 at 6:48 PM

haha, for me to poop on

Slade73 on July 26, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Oof. I haven’t been hungry all day. I was hoping to work up an appetite for dinner. And now Erika posts these pictures of Pelosi.

Maybe I’ll eat Saturday.

oldroy on July 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Don’t even start, B*tch.

Pork-Chop on July 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I thought Democrats were virulently opposed to any form of gun control. After all, they certainly had no control over the F&F firearms that sashayed their way into Mexico.

Dion on July 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM

We heart you Erika Johnson. You fit here; like slipping on a favorite pair of jeans.

the new aesthetic on July 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM

As I’ve said over and over, they may be dimocRATs, but their not totally stupid. Gun control is political suicide …….Has anyone else seen that the government gave a grant to the lunatic, so he could buy the weapons? ??????

angrymike on July 26, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Looks like the gunophobes just got handed a big down-twinkles.

antipc on July 26, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Palomino!

lorien1973 on July 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM

O/T. Senate that doesn’t have time to take up gun control (and thank goodness for that) DOES have time to debate the adoption of national standards for – wait for it – henhouses. Those laying hens just have to have their space, don’t ya know… Sen. Feinstein takes the lead on this.

Cluck, cluck.

climbnjump on July 26, 2012 at 6:57 PM

…yes…let’s not talk about the economy!

KOOLAID2 on July 26, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Pelosi on Thursday said Obama’s careful approach is the right one.

“I just want you to know that we are working on it,” Brady recalled the president telling them. “We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.”

Flora Duh on July 26, 2012 at 6:58 PM

half the problem in colorado are the freaks from san fran nan’s state that move there…

that busy schedule you have of not scheduling votes on anything the house passes you personally oppose?

mittens on July 26, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Pffft. I’m curious what it is they HAVE been able to do this year. Or the last 3 for that matter, other than create the health care boondoggle. They haven’t even passed a budget!

scalleywag on July 26, 2012 at 7:05 PM

HA! I guess I struck out my own comment, don’t know how I managed that.

scalleywag on July 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM

The only thing I want to hear from that ignorant nazi crone is ‘I resign / retire’.

rayra on July 26, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Lip service from everyone. Nothing changes. That’s good.

The weekend will come and all this talk about gun control will fade into oblivion.

Corporal Tunnel on July 26, 2012 at 7:10 PM

UN Treaties signed and enforced by EO and regulation are just swell.

SDN on July 26, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Wow, what a leader! It’s about damn time somebody came out in favor of reducing violence!

TarheelBen on July 26, 2012 at 7:16 PM

They must have gotten conflicting poll results.

Kissmygrits on July 26, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Bill O’Reilly’s ignorant opinion to the contrary, there are numerous laws regulating gun sales on the books. Machine guns such as real AK-47s are the most heavily regulated of all.

Felons aren’t permitted to own firearms, period. A citizen can buy an AK-47, if willing to pay the exorbitant price and transfer tax for an NFA registered machine gun, and undergo an FBI investigation.

Law-abiding citizens can buy semi-auto versions of the full-auto AK-47 by the same process as they would buy any other semi-auto rifle. All gun shop sales must pass the instant check.

novaculus on July 26, 2012 at 7:23 PM

We need to build a national consensus [by doing things like Fast and Furious].

Loud and clear from Pelosi Galore.

petefrt on July 26, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Oh, like the “suspected” Aurora killer, a native Californian.

hawkeye54 on July 26, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Looking for ideas, Nancy? Here you go… Police To Hold Gun Turn-In Event This Weekend.

It’s working well in Chicago. LOL.

Yes, Democrats really are this stupid.

farsighted on July 26, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Pelosi on Thursday said … “… we need to build a national consensus to reduce violence in our country.”

We need that? How do politicians get away with such inane, worthless, public statements?

Oh, that’s right, the MSM has their back.

minnesoter on July 26, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Using the lure of $100 gift cards, the Chicago Police Department is encouraging people to get guns out of their homes and turn them in this Saturday, during the annual gun turn-in program.

Useless program. The ones most likely to turn in guns are the least dangerous. And for $100 bucks, I’d find a cheap Saturday night special or a rusty old relic special to turn in to turn a profit.

hawkeye54 on July 26, 2012 at 7:36 PM

farsighted on July 26, 2012 at 7:29 PM

When I go to gun shows I am always on the lookout for bare receivers of cheap firearms which can had for a few bucks, and are all you need for a turn in at the county prosecutor’s buy back events. I have cleaned up a couple of times. Used the money for ammo and black powder supplies.

novaculus on July 26, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Hey you partisan bitch-

A few points.

First, where was the jug-eared Kenyan’s “leadership” when he was a community agitator in Chicago? One of the greatest sources of violence in this nation is black on black killing in our inner cities. What did Obama do about that?

Second, coming out against shooting up movie theaters is hardly leadership.

Finally, there already is a national consensus to reduce violence in our country. Are you really that God Damned stupid?

Happy Nomad on July 26, 2012 at 7:45 PM

… A citizen can buy an AK-47, if willing to pay the exorbitant price and transfer tax for an NFA registered machine gun, and undergo an FBI investigation.

novaculus on July 26, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Also depends on what state you live in though. MGs are banned in some states regardless of federal regs.

climbnjump on July 26, 2012 at 7:45 PM

There sure is loads of gun control in Colorado right now.The public is lining up in droves to buy guns.The CHL instructors are becoming 1%ers.

docflash on July 26, 2012 at 7:50 PM

hawkeye54 on July 26, 2012 at 7:36 PM

They also give $10 for BB guns.

Yes, Democrats really are that stupid.

farsighted on July 26, 2012 at 7:50 PM

First. Man, that’s ugly.

msupertas on July 26, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Even though it’s a still picture, it seems I can see her shaking. Funny that.

slickwillie2001 on July 26, 2012 at 7:54 PM

What freaking chaps my shorts is the ROE in Afghanistan is failing, our soldiers are dying because they can’t defend themselves and the President won’t do/say anything. I talk to my friends daily and they say it’s near impossible to get authorization to squeeze on the bastards. Every time some nut with a gun goes crazy in The States they want to change the whole constitution. Why not the same kind of knee-jerk reaction to changing the ROE when we needlessly lose a great soldier like SGT. Eric Williams, a flight medic from the 82ND CAB. Just days from coming home.

hawkdriver on July 26, 2012 at 7:55 PM

novaculus on July 26, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I think most of the guns they get are broken, are missing pieces, or would be dangerous to try to fire.

They probably have a hard time getting a few that look good enough for the local media to take pictures of. I wouldn’t be surprised if the CPD loans out a few confiscated guns for the photo op.

It’s like a high school level “awareness” event.

farsighted on July 26, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Democrats have enough to deal with, Obamacare and the economy have been hung around their necks, they don’t need anything else.

GarandFan on July 26, 2012 at 8:02 PM

First. Man, that’s ugly.

msupertas on July 26, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Even though it’s a still picture, it seems I can see her shaking. Funny that.

slickwillie2001 on July 26, 2012 at 7:54 PM

…those aren’t testicles strung around her neck…are they?

KOOLAID2 on July 26, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I’m going to sign all the online petitions I can find, tell moron.org, democracy now, social justice, write my legislators, and other out of state donk legislators to go with gun control full on.

This is so teh winnah for them!

jukin3 on July 26, 2012 at 8:44 PM

criminals aren’t supposed to have AK-47s

“Then why was our government arming Mexican drug cartels?”

dominigan on July 26, 2012 at 9:23 PM

When guns are outlawed, only Mexican outlaws will have guns, thanks to the victimizing, race-baiting, class-warfaring poverty pimp-in-chief and his merry band of anarchists.

LizardLips on July 26, 2012 at 11:41 PM

When guns are outlawed, …

LizardLips on July 26, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I will still have mine.

AZ_Redneck on July 27, 2012 at 3:29 AM

The only people to notice that the Evil Coward James Holmes was behaving strangely was the gun club that refused him membership.

Slowburn on July 27, 2012 at 3:48 AM

I have carried for quite some time… even around the house. I subscribe to the Mad Ogre’s maxim that if I am wearing pants, I’m wearing my gun. I don’t even notice it anymore, like my watch or my wallet. My thought process is that if my gun is on my person, it is not where my toddler can reach it, and as a new Dad, I take gun safety very seriously. But my rather uptight and hoplophobic mother came over a few days ago and saw my pistol and said, “Goodness…! Why are you wearing a gun in the house?”

And I said, “Well, Mom… I was on the internet a while back, and I read a positively startling and frightening statistic. Were you aware that according to the FBI, 100 percent of all home invasions occur IN THE HOME…?

End of conversation…

PointnClick on July 27, 2012 at 6:35 AM

There are four reasons to protect most carefully our right to bear arms aside from hunting or sport.

1) The police are miles away. The gun is right here. When a rogue member of our society attempts to kill, rape, or injure me I save several precious minutes pressing a trigger rather than trying to speed dial 911.

2) Societies do break down from time to time. I remember the LA riots in the 80s, entirely too well. I checked such weapons as I have and made them available if it appeared to be needed at any time. Fortunately they missed the little beach side community in which I lived – by less than a mile.

3) Our military is not infallible. Our border security is a laugh. Our long borders, particularly the Southern border, are an open path for armed invasion of our country. As a matter of fact it already has. I live in an affected area near Los Angeles.

4) Most importantly of all we have the quintessentially Jeffersonian reason, governments go rogue if permitted. The millions of firearms in your hands and mine are a VERY good reason for the government to behave as it should rather than start believing it is the master. This is a very good reason, I firmly believed, for people like Pelosi to demand we disarm ourselves. Over my cold dead body, bitch.

{^_^}

herself on July 27, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Question: Why do Englishmen pour oil into ther gardens?

Answer: To keep their guns from rusting.

JackM on July 27, 2012 at 9:26 AM