posted at 9:54 pm on July 26, 2012 by Allahpundit

I can’t find a transcript but it sure sounds from the article like he’s trying to get them to forfeit their right to support anti-SSM groups in return for a permit. In other words, they can keep their freedom of speech, sort of, as long as they cede their freedom of association. That’s “Chicago values,” I guess.

Chicago Alderman Joe Moreno says the door isn’t entirely closed on a new Chick-fil-A restaurant opening in his 1st ward.

Moreno told WBEZ that the owners seeking to build the restaurant have said they won’t support any groups with a political agenda, including those with an anti-gay marriage stance.

Moreno says if he gets an explicit guarantee from the franchise owner he will consider granting zoning rights to a new Chick-fil-A in Logan Square.

“If they’re serious about that, and they’re willing to put that in writing and they’re willing to adopt that. I think those are the grounds where we can move forward,” Moreno said.

I love the idea of this cretinous princeling dangling building privileges in return for promises not to do anything politically that might upset him. It’s vintage Chicago sleaze, except that instead of handing him a fat envelope with money in it, you promise instead not to hand that envelope to a group he doesn’t like. By all means, the owners should agree to his terms — and then drop a nice big check on the NOM on the day the new site opens for business. I want to see him try to enforce their written guarantee not to offend him via donations to disfavored orgs in court.

Here’s his op-ed in yesterday’s Tribune. The best part? His imperiousness paired with his self-congratulation at being such a freedom-minded, forward-thinkin’ guy:

There are consequences for one’s actions, statements and beliefs. Because of this man’s ignorance, I will deny Chick-fil-A a permit to open a restaurant in my ward…

Obviously, Cathy has the right to believe, say and give money to whatever cause he wants. But my belief in equality is resolute, and if I were to take the easy way out and turn a blind eye to his remarks, I would be turning my back on the principles I stand for…

I represent a diverse, forward-thinking community, and I’m sure the majority of 1st Warders find Cathy’s comments and attitude repugnant. Even if I did give Chick-fil-A the go-ahead, I suspect many in my community wouldn’t spend their dollars there.

Give the guy credit, he’s fully in touch with his “progressive” id. As Eugene Volokh says: Appalling.

Exit question: Did you know that “Chicago values” have already managed to tolerate a Chick-fil-A in the 42nd Ward? Who wants to be the one to tell Rahm?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

coldwarrior on July 26, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Amazon only has a remake done in 2004. I’m having more luck with the book. I’ll keep looking.

Cindy Munford on July 26, 2012 at 10:54 PM

The Catholic Hispanics who make up most this imbecile Moreno’s ward could hardly give a rat’s ass whether the owner of Chick-fil-A is opposed to gay marriage.

eyedoc on July 26, 2012 at 10:55 PM

How can the franchise owner make such a guarantee? He can only say what he will do with his profits. He can’t tell the Chick-Fil-A owners what to do with their profits — which is what’s causing the whole “controversy.”

CJ on July 26, 2012 at 10:57 PM

For those who wish to understand more…

H.G. Wells is considered the father of the modern progressive movement. The progressive movement was based on statism, income redistribution, unionism, central government management of the economy, lifetime provision for its citizens in return for their loyalty, and a highly libertine social view and a select group leadership composed of like-minded educated elites who know more about everything than the mere people know about anything…if my recall of my college textbooks is correct.

Sound familiar?

George Soros is the current “dean” of the progressive movement.

Barrack Hussein Obama is their acolyte, and student of Cloward-Piven….along with Ayers and Dorhn, Axelrod, et al., in short, the current crop of Democrats and liberals trying to re-shape America into their version of the perfect world.

coldwarrior on July 26, 2012 at 10:57 PM

this another attempt at trayvonization:

trying to create a brouhaha that might galvanize the base.

trayvon = race-baiting by professional race hustlers
chik fil a – gay-baiting by professional sex-issue hustlers

reliapundit on July 26, 2012 at 10:59 PM

coldwarrior on July 26, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Comment pag

So their version of a perfect world is stagflation, rewarded sloth, crony corruption, and mass poverty?

tom daschle concerned on July 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Resist We Much on July 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Look to Canada and the UK…illegal to make anti-Moslem statements.

Can lampoon the daylights out of Christianity…BBC programming is a good place to look for that sort of thing…but try to state passages of the Koran in public, as a non-Moslem, to make a point about Islam…that’s hate speech right there.

coldwarrior on July 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM

This certainly isn’t about hate. If you look at some of the tweets and facebook posts(or even the responses to Antoine Dodson’s) video; you will see the hate is actually coming from the gay marriage supporters.

This isn’t even really about gay marriage. This is a democrat using useful idiot victim groups to control independent business owners. That all that this gay marriage hoopla is about..

melle1228 on July 26, 2012 at 11:04 PM

tom daschle concerned on July 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Not for the true believers…all animals are equal…just that some animals are more equal than other animals.

We…the children of a lesser god will endure the stagflation, crummy economy and watching our life’s work taken by the elites. Such is the price of refusing to be a true believer.

The Left, over the decades, has inculcated people the notion that novels such as

Brave New World

and

1984

and Fahenheit 451 were about right-wing extremism or Stalinist communism.

Not true.

They were and are clearly about Progressivism.

coldwarrior on July 26, 2012 at 11:05 PM

If I weren’t looking at the calendar right now, I’d think I was back in Munich in 1933 or so.

coldwarrior on July 26, 2012 at 10:33 PM

We still have our guns.

Cleombrotus on July 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM

coldwarrior on July 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I know. I am British by birth. Londonistan is my hometown, which is my I try to warn people as much as possible. :-)

Resist We Much on July 26, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Great, now First Amendment comes with a qualifier? Try again, a**wipe, you still haven’t figured out he law.

Erich66 on July 26, 2012 at 11:10 PM

They should release a public statement promising to back whatever political cause seeks to unseat Moreno. Checkmate, he’d have to give them a permit.

Buddahpundit on July 26, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Resist We Much on July 26, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Keep up the good fight.

I am astounded that soooo many Americans still firmly believe that it can’t happen here, that our form of government will never allow such things to transpire here…that we can sit back and mock the rest of the world because “we’re ‘Merica!.”

How many Americans today have ever heard of Dietrich Bonhoeffer?

“The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children.”

The Nazis killed him for his resistance to Hitler.

There were many others.

The rest of Germany…officially…were not Nazis, never knew about the camps, and never really liked those guys in the funny uniforms and amrbands…but somehow, inexplicably, out of thin air, National Socialism destroyed Germany.

coldwarrior on July 26, 2012 at 11:15 PM

No, it’s just Democrats using a non-existent controversy to fan pointless outrage in their extreme left-wing base to keep them in line and fired up for the November elections. Business as usual from the party of bigots, bomb throwers, and mob inciters.

Socratease on July 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM

These stupid liberals don’t realize that CFA is doing the city a favor by opening a business and creating jobs. Fools!

GMO on July 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I would call the Mayors of Boston and Chicago petty tyrants, but they are really just klowns. Why do people put up with this B.S. there has to be somebody who is competent that will run for Mayor.

Rahm Emanuel is actually having a bigot, a racist, and an anti semite, police the streets of Chicago. Why are the people of Chicago paying taxes to support this kind of amateur low rent bullsh1t? What are the Chicago police being paid for?

Look who’s coming to save the day by taking over Chicago streets by invitation Calypso Louie. Just when you think they can’t get anymore pathetic, they trump themselves.

Dr Evil on July 26, 2012 at 11:20 PM

So, no serving Farrakhan when he comes and wants a 7-piece nugget order?

itsspideyman on July 26, 2012 at 11:21 PM

The government’s engaging in advocacy for special interest gives rise to the illegitimate use of power to effect arbitrary rule against those with whom the interest disagrees, otherwise known as ‘tyranny’.

LizardLips on July 26, 2012 at 11:21 PM

As for Chicago…we can all thank Marshall Field for making it the home of American Progressivism.

coldwarrior on July 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM

“The Thought Police” have spoken!

Kjeil on July 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM

H.G. Wells portrayed all of this back in 1933, with his novel The Shape of Things to Come…a ultra-progressive story…and made into a movie in 1936.

Find it, watch it…let your friends view it as well.

Scary stuff.

coldwarrior on July 26, 2012 at 10:45 PM

coldwarrior on July 26, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Thanks for the reference, I will check into it.

Cindy Munford on July 26, 2012 at 10:50 PM

The 1936 movie version is simply titled “Things to Come”

There is a serialized version on YouTube:

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on July 26, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Since when are so-called “public servants” allowed to tell citizens what political causes they can and cannot support, be they businessmen or not?

wildcat72 on July 26, 2012 at 10:34 PM

…so that means they don’t have any “Men’s Warehouse Clothing” stores in the community… because the bearded wino owner liked to dress the OWS crowd?

KOOLAID2 on July 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Sure, one of those Chicago promises like reducing the deficit, closing Guantanamo, lowering sea levels…yeah, promise them whatever sounds good.

lonestar1 on July 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Moron’o just keeps digging the hole deeper. This is getting comical.
My guess is, he’ll be getting the 3AM phone call tonight, informing him that this has become more of a legal headache than they bargained for, and it’s time to cave.

AmeriCuda on July 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM

I’d just sue him until I owned his 1st Amendment-hating ward.

Murf76 on July 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on July 26, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Thank you, I’m going to bookmark it and check it out.

Cindy Munford on July 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Screw you, Alderman Joe Moreno, you comtemptible Thugocrat POS.

rayra on July 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM

“Nice business plan you got there. Be a shame if your political opinions were to make something bad happen to them, know what I mean?”

Yep, Chicago values all the way.

AZfederalist on July 27, 2012 at 12:04 AM

…cretinous princeling dangling building privileges…

AllahP, you are an artist.

Al-Ozarka on July 27, 2012 at 12:20 AM

You want to know what’s the solution then? Time for the U.S. House to cut ALL federal funding to all City of Chicago Governmental offices functions. Yes I know, the Democrats will flip out and get outraged, and the spineless members of the Republican party will disagree.

I don’t care though for one simple reason. Imagine if the roles were flipped… let’s call it “John Doe burgers” just for the sake of this example (Apologies to any real businesses named that). John Doe Burgers, is owned by a CEO who loves the idea of diversity and supports Gay Marriage. He comes out sand says he supports Gay Marriage, and makes a donation to a Gay rights group. Now imagine, if in a conservative area/town/city, the Mayor starts doing the exact same thing these idiots in Boston and Chicago are doing. “You’re not welcomed here, we’ll send you intimidating messages, and you aren’t free to exercise your freedom of speech or association.”

I’d imagine the Democrats, and anyone who holds sacred the rights which are protected by the Constitution’s words, would be just as outraged as we are now. If at anything, over the blatant trampling of our rights and freedoms. You don’t have to agree with the view point of the CEO of John Down Burgers, but he’s free to speak his mind, and you’re free to not agree with it, as long as you don’t interfere with his business. The same applies with the CEO of Chick-Fil-A

So in closing, I repeat again: I call upon the U.S. House of Congress, to hold a session ASAP, to cut all federal funding to Chicago for Violating the 1st Amendment rights of U.S. Citizens.

Razgriez on July 27, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Why is Chick-Fil-A bothering to try and open a business in such a corrupt place, a place where they aren’t wanted?

They should announce that “fine, we’ll build somewhere else then and take the jobs with us”. That’s the only way to teach a lessons to these clowns.

I, for one, would love to have a Chick-Fil-A near us, the closest is at least a 20 minute drive. We’d eat there a lot more often.

Common Sense on July 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Yeah, and surely the likes of Calypso Louie too, huh?

jake49 on July 27, 2012 at 12:56 AM

lol. the jackass can’t stop digging and he thinks he is climbing

pat on July 27, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Hey Chik-Fil-A: tell Chicago to act like a pizza and “stuff it!”

Go somewhere that you are wanted…

Your nearest restaurant to my house is in Redlands, CA… I will be patronizing it very soon, on a regular basis, with my FAMILY…

Khun Joe on July 27, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I’d just sue him until I owned his 1st Amendment-hating ward.

Murf76 on July 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM

^That!

He has no right to deny the business a permit because of the company founder’s religious beliefs.

Sue. Until the jackass learns his lesson.

Common Sense on July 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Because even in corrupt places like Chicago, there will still be people who want to eat there. Hey, there is good and bad everywhere. Just because the bad in Chicago are the people in power, doesn’t mean the good people shouldn’t have a good place to eat.

Sterling Holobyte on July 27, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Common Sense on July 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM

20 Minutes?? You are lucky. After some research I found out that there is only ONE Chick-Fil-A in Wisconsin(Racine), and that one is 4 1/2 hours away from me. :(

Eat a chicken sandwich for me, will ya?! …without lettuce. :)

Sterling Holobyte on July 27, 2012 at 1:53 AM

The franchise owner should ask the Alderman to put in writing exactly what they have to promise to get the zoning.

If he does, sue the City and make more money than they would with the restaurant – and in the end, the City will be forced to grant it anyway.

Adjoran on July 27, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Yeah…I’m thinking that might be a tad bit illegal.

xblade on July 27, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Allah,here is something else to make the concept even more sleazier. The 1st Ward in Chicago has been known for decades to be associated with Organized Crime in the city. You mentioned any well known Syndicate associate at the time, and it was a sure bet that they were connected in some way with the 1st Ward. And it is also a known fact that for decades, especially under the rule of Mayors Daley Sr and Jr, a blind eye was pretty much cast on activities in the 1st Ward. Which is why it is pretty much a safe bet the current Alderman, Moreno, has “connections”, and just as in the past, the current mayor, good old Rahm-a-dam-a-ding-dong is continuing the time honored tradition of looking the other way as far as what goes on in that one particular ward. So when you say “vintage Chicago sleaze, you can’t get any sleazier than the 1st Ward.

pilamaye on July 27, 2012 at 5:50 AM

I don’t like that style of food, but If I did I would go buy some.

TX-96 on July 27, 2012 at 5:55 AM

We fought World War II to stop people like Joe Moreno.I will eat at Chik-Fil-A not only because the food is good and the service top notch,but also because they piss off the Nazi/Socialist Progressives!

redware on July 27, 2012 at 5:59 AM

Even the pathetic Chicago media — wholly owned by the GLTB nazis — are laughing at this douchebag. The clownish Chicago Sun-Times wrote an editorial saying “uh…you can’t do this, you know that, right?”

The only ones patting Morono on the back are his tolerance-embracing, constitutionally ignorant gay friends. Radio is having a field day with him and Emanuel.

Jaibones on July 27, 2012 at 6:18 AM

That’s okay, Moron-o. I’ve read the book. We win.

kingsjester on July 27, 2012 at 6:52 AM

So i guess this means all company’s like for instance auto manufacturers must promise that the unions will not support the democrats.The same for star bucks and other liberal leaning company’s.

logman1 on July 27, 2012 at 6:53 AM

Chicagoians spend all day murdering each other.

I’m torn.

crash72 on July 27, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Does that cut both ways, Morono, or just your side of the street?

Kissmygrits on July 27, 2012 at 7:03 AM

C’mon AP, you, YOU, who seldom spins, whose writing I thoroughly enjoy and respect, are turning the term “pro-traditional marriage” into “anti-same sex marriage”. You are, without question, a fair and concise writer, often insightful, and always a compelling read. Why are you resorting to the covert bigotry of the Left by changing the nature of Cathy’s stance in support of traditional marriage? You disappoint me with this sleight of pen, AP.

herm2416 on July 27, 2012 at 7:16 AM

The clownish Chicago Sun-Times

Actually there was a time when the Sun Times stood for something, especially when they had the now legendary columnist Mike Royko.

Gets me wondering what Royko’s take on this would have been if he was still around.

pilamaye on July 27, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Horse sh*t. Just who the hell does this Moreno person think he is, and what country does he think he lives in?

You know we’re in trouble when wannabe despots like this roam freely with no accountability for their abuses.

petefrt on July 27, 2012 at 7:46 AM

pilamaye on July 27, 2012 at 7:44 AM

I still miss him–twenty years later! While John Kass is interesting, he can’t hold a candle to Royko.

herm2416 on July 27, 2012 at 7:54 AM

You disappoint me with this sleight of pen, AP.

herm2416 on July 27, 2012 at 7:16 AM

The benefit of having realistic expectations of AP is that he never disappoints.

swinia sutki on July 27, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Chicago does not deserve a chik-fil-a and it makes no sense to subject themselves to the corrupt Chicago political machine seeking bribes, kickbacks & graft in order to do business there. Screw Chicago.

I’d build one just outside city limits and flip the bird to the gay ballerina mayor of the corrupt Chicago.

Robert Jensen on July 27, 2012 at 8:03 AM

coldwarrior on July 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Mark Steyn recites the tale of lesbians and muslims in England bringing each other up on hate crime charges.

gwelf on July 27, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Lack of liberal troll outrage over this is a telling sign of how much they actually value liberty and tolerance.

gwelf on July 27, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I’m atill ANGRY that I did not get in on last evening’s
thread about people being so ANGRY on the Internet.

Sooooooooo,

Hey Alderman Moreno, take your 1st Ward and shove it
up your AZZ!

And Mayor Menino, suck on the wet end, you fat f*ck!!

Wow! I feel great!

ToddPA on July 27, 2012 at 9:01 AM

This and Obama too….Please excuse me I need to go out and smear some mud on my license plates.

bluesdoc70 on July 27, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Gee, Alderman, looks like you’ve stumbled into something there. Imagine the idea of letting the community decide if they want to patronize a business establishment or not.

Bitter Clinger on July 27, 2012 at 9:05 AM

So businesses there can’t support groups with a political agenda?
Wow, so I guess that’s why there are no Starbucks in Chicago.
Oh, wait…

Dexter_Alarius on July 27, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I would take my Chick-fil-A franchise and the jobs it will provide and move it elsewhere. Unbelievable corruption!

ultracon on July 27, 2012 at 9:08 AM

At this point, if the franchise does get built, it will only be a magnet for every marching, boycotting idiot within miles. Screw ‘em CFA, you’re welcome in Michigan, but don’t bother with Detroit either, come to Hooterville here, or at least the burbs.

waterytart on July 27, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Why would they want to open a franchise in Chicago? I live 20 minutes from Chicago and wouldnt step foot in that corrupt murder-infested ghetto if it was the last place on Earth that sold food. It’s not just the murders burt rapes and robberies are rampant. My son went to school at UIC 5 years ago and was robbed at gunpoint as he walked from the train to class. I attended the Chicago Polic e Academy in the eighties and the city was bad then but it has gone off the charts now. I get my Chik-Fil-A in suburban Schaumburg.

ObamatheMessiah on July 27, 2012 at 9:23 AM

And these idiots wonder why companies are moving to Dixie.

kingsjester on July 27, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Stalin would be proud of today’s Democrat party.

TarheelBen on July 27, 2012 at 9:33 AM

That quaint little “tradition” they have in Chicago, called “Alderman’s privilege”? It’s going to go away if it were to be used on Chick-fil-A after all of this hullabaloo. It would be a blatant violation of Chick-fil-A’s First Amendment rights through prior restraint, and would, therefore be unconstitutional.

Thousands of outspoken Christian businessmen should attempt to expand their operations into Chicago. When they are denied, they should sue for prior restraint. They should then donate all the proceeds of their successful lawsuits to a Christian organization that helps the inner-city poor of Chicago.

GWB on July 27, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Here’s the real problem.

As I’ve stated before, the majority of my friends are black.

If you tell them supporting Chik-Fil-A makes them a bigot, the response, in a hundred forms, will be the equivalent to a head-shaking “STFU. F’ing whitepeople”.

Most black Americans are Libertarian at the core. They have no interest in rich, white-people feuds.

And that’s what this is. A rich conservative, Christian white guy versus a bunch of elite, leftie, whiteys who want to pander to the ghey community.

I laugh at this story because this guy I know who blew up his family so he could come racing out of the closet, loves Chik-Fli-A.

budfox on July 27, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I was born in Chicago and lived there for 50 years. I had friends who worked for the State and felt that they had to change their political party affiliation, whenever the governorship changed, in order to keep their job. Of course, these were union jobs. This is SOP in Chicago, which is why they are not used to getting headlines. Nice to see it exposed.

lea on July 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I just saw the nastiest PAC ad against Gov. Romney. Obama people suck.

Cindy Munford on July 26, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Well, I just heard an anti-Obama radio ad here in PA. It was really good.

Night Owl on July 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I get my Chik-Fil-A in suburban Schaumburg.

ObamatheMessiah on July 27, 2012 at 9:23 AM

And Portillos? I’m jealous.

lea on July 27, 2012 at 10:23 AM

In the real world, wouldn’t that be called “extortion”? Last time I checked, that was a felony.

William Teach on July 27, 2012 at 10:31 AM

“Chicago alderman: The Chick-fil-A owners can build — if they promise not to support groups with a political agenda”

You mean like unions?

Glad to see thugs elected thugs talking about the important stuff.

Murder toll in Chicago so far this year: 249 dead.

‘Chicago values.’

Mayor Rahm Emanuel welcomes race baiting religious bigot (and noted homophobe) Louis Farrakhan to town.

‘Chicago values.’

More examples of liberal fascists at their most obtuse.

locomotivebreath1901 on July 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM

“There are consequences for one’s actions, statements and beliefs.” – Sr. Moreno Morono

ROTFLMAO
Were THAT the case, a whole LOT of us would be incarcerated these days.
What a Maroon
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on July 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Home Depot has been supporting same Sex marriage a lot lately. Should conservative cities start telling Home Depot they have to cut off ties to homosexual groups?

Is it legal to tell a company they cannot have permits unless they cut ties to groups that have political motives? This should not be tolerated in any way. I live in a conservative suburb of Dallas-Ft Worth and we have plenty of Home Depots. Only the libs will pull this crap.

jeffn21 on July 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I could be wrong but for some reason I am thinking this is a violation of the DOM act also.
seems to me, again I may be wrong, there was something in it dealing with this type of situation.
not that the DOJ will uphold DOM Act……

dmacleo on July 27, 2012 at 11:44 AM

RICO Act this guy. now.

dmacleo on July 27, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Never in my wildest dreams did I think America would stoop this low. Where is BO speech-a-fing that the Cathys are his parents or his daughters simply trying to open a business? Where is every member of the Illinois government screaming that you can’t deny someone their freedom of political thought? Why is not all of the Federal Government standing up and telling this Chicago alderman that all of Chicago can be sued for this behavior?

I’ve never made a purchase at Chick-fil-A (though someone brought me breakfast from there once) and determined yesterday that I suddenly would be seeking out every Chick-fil-A I could find. Though, now I’m disappointed that Mr. Cathy agreed to this illegal proviso to his building permit. This is still America even though BHO is trying to turn it into Amerika.

katablog.com on July 27, 2012 at 11:51 AM

If you build it, we will come–but only to tell you you didn’t build that.

Axeman on July 27, 2012 at 12:49 PM

coldwarrior on July 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Marshall Field, the department store, or Marshall Field, its founder? I looked him up on Wikipedia (yeah, I know…) and Mr. Field seems like our kind of guy:

Field was highly suspicious of organized labor throughout his career, and prohibited unionization among his employees. …

Field avoided political and social intrigue, instead focusing on his work and on supporting his family and his favorite philanthropies. …

Oh, wait: Did you mean because of this?

The University of Chicago was founded by both Field and New York’s John D. Rockefeller…

Mary in LA on July 27, 2012 at 1:21 PM

katablog.com on July 27, 2012 at 11:51 AM

If I read the article right, it’s not Mr. Cathy, the company president, making the agreement — it’s the would-be franchise owner trying to do business in that corrupt district of that corrupt city who is being blackmailed into making the agreement.

Mary in LA on July 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Forbes for the win:

…Eat mor Constitution…

Mary in LA on July 27, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Mary in LA on July 27, 2012 at 1:21 PM

The [Marshall] Field Foundation.

coldwarrior on July 27, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Chicago and Boston……..

Voters love Stalin and government tyranny apparently.

Next up for this kind of tyranny?………….CHURCHES!!!!!

PappyD61 on July 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM

These Chick-fil-A locations are NOT owned by the Chick-fil-A Corporation or Mr. Cathy — they are franchises, they are the small business owners that Obama wants to increase taxes on. If I was the franchise owner (you know, one of those nasty millionaires or billionaires that make over $250,000 a year) I’d shut down any or all stores in city of Chicago and instead build in the friendlier more prosperous suburbs — but that’s me.

Concerned_American on July 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Sounds like Moreno is going to be eating some crow pretty soon:

eyedoc on July 27, 2012 at 3:32 PM

GWB on July 27, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Except that most/many businesses want OUT of Chicago (and Illannoy in general) because of the enormous tax rates. Don’t forget that part of the overall picture.

dentarthurdent on July 27, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I thought this day would never come. The Gays have “jumped the shark chicken!

MikeinPRCA on July 27, 2012 at 4:42 PM

The [Marshall] Field Foundation.

coldwarrior on July 27, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Thanks! (Got a network error — will try again later.)

Mary in LA on July 27, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Why build there in the first place. it will just give the teething predators a new opportunity to ruin lives. Great job with that institutionalized poverty federal government… great job.

jomondo44 on July 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM