Video: “Man of Steel” trailer(s)

posted at 10:14 pm on July 25, 2012 by Allahpundit

A few days old but worth watching if you haven’t seen them yet. I doubt the movie will live up to their promise, but I dig these teasers. Batman and Spider-Man have always had depth but Superman’s typically been too messianic to relate to. He’s not a real character so much as a deus ex machina with a cape. This flick, which is produced by “Dark Knight Rises” director Christopher Nolan, apparently will try to flesh him out. That’s how a “reboot” should be done — not by remaking a blockbuster with better F/X but by doing something unconventional with the storyline and tone. Consider this another step, I guess, towards the inevitable Gay Superheroes Eating Pudding genre.

The two trailers are identical except for the voiceovers. The first features Kevin Costner as Supe’s human stepdad; the second features Russell Crowe as Jor-El. No bad guys in sight here and almost no visual fireworks. Intriguing.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Not to mention that his student visa to study civil engineering at Brooklyn Community College expired ten years ago, and he’s facing deportation unless he can find Peach and convince her to marry him.

Lawdawg86 on July 25, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I think he’s “evolved”, given up on the lie of loving Peach, and has found his true love, Toad. You know, with the high-pitched femmy voice and all…

Nutstuyu on July 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I don’t get all the fishing clips in the preview. They also didn’t tie win with the narration. Why did they put them in there? Superman goes on Deadliest Catch in the movie? Huh???

Weebork on July 25, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Yeah I think that was the only finished video to us, didn’t seem to matter for the voice over.

HAExpert on July 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM

us=use even

HAExpert on July 26, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I interpreted the crab fishing to be his “finding himself” history. In that he is a crab fisherman, then it shows him hitchhiking, presumably to return as he has had his epiphany and decided to aid mankind.

PJ Emeritus on July 26, 2012 at 1:56 PM

So, is he gay?

Bmore on July 26, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Henry Cavill is so hawt! Now that I’ve channelled my inner teenage girl I will just say that I wish Superman weren’t being played by a British guy, it just seems wrong. I’m sure he will do a great job judging by his performance in the Tudors but we will see. The trailer looks interesting. Henry Cavill is just so purty!

neyney on July 26, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Hollywood already tried to “destroy” the Legend of Super Man, especially in the last re-boot that had a bastard kid running around. That right there was counter to the entire concept of Super Man. He is of the Highest Morals, the Purest of Good. That is why even Batman calls him “the Boy Scout” all the time in the Comics. He is always on the side of Good.

The previews show that as a man, growing up in the world, he has doubts about his own purpose in the world, that explains the hitchiking, getting a job out in the middle of no where…I’d bet that there is somce kind of accident on that boat that pushes him into being a Hero…and from there, he recognizes, he has two paths, be The Best or be Evil.

The best part of Super Man is the fact he chooses to be Good and Moral. How many of us would actually be a true Hero if we had those powers? He defends Humanity for the sake of being Humane, not for the glory. He does it, cause its the Right thing to do.

Dino V on July 26, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Wait, Superman has a contrail? Are they not aware of what causes a contrail? His sweat, perhaps?

Pablo Snooze on July 26, 2012 at 5:51 PM