Rahm Emanuel: “Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values”

posted at 4:43 pm on July 25, 2012 by Allahpundit

Is there anywhere in America outside of Chicago itself where the term “Chicago values” isn’t pejorative? It’s basically a byword for political corruption and insane levels of gun violence (tough local gun-control measures notwithstanding). If I were the Cathy family, I’d be tempted to make Rahm’s quote the company’s new slogan. “Chick-fil-A: Where the numbers add up and no one gets shot.”

Ald.Proco “Joe” Moreno announced this week that he will block Chick-fil-A’s effort to build its second Chicago store, which would be in the Logan Square neighborhood, following company President Dan Cathy’s remarks last week that he was “guilty as charged” for supporting the biblical definition of marriage as between a man and woman.

“If you are discriminating against a segment of the community, I don’t want you in the 1st Ward,” Moreno told the Tribune on Tuesday…

“Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values,” the mayor said in a statement when asked about Moreno’s decision. “They disrespect our fellow neighbors and residents. This would be a bad investment, since it would be empty.”

Moreno is relying on a rarely violated Chicago tradition known as aldermanic privilege, which dictates that City Council members defer to the opinion of the ward alderman on local issues. Last year Moreno wielded that weapon to block plans for a Wal-Martin his ward, saying he had issues with the property owner and that Wal-Mart was not “a perfect fit for the area.”

I always get crossed up when gay-marriage supporters get indignant with opponents because I agree with them on the merits but can’t quite believe that sanctimony can set in so quickly on an issue that used to see ~70 percent opposition as recently as 15 years ago. A lot of people have changed their minds since then, including me, but it’s precisely because I used to hold the opposite position that I feel humility when tempted to sneer at gay-marriage opponents. Were Rahm and Moreno true blue SSM supporters from day one or did they too once — gasp — have “Chick-fil-A values” on this subject? As I recall, Rahm spent a few years working for a guy who lied his ass off about gay marriage for decades purely for cynical, self-interested political advantage. Were his values copacetic with “Chicago values” before he “evolved”? What’s worse, the Cathy family honestly professing their opposition to gay marriage or the Lightbringer dishonestly professing his opposition because he cared more about getting elected than standing up publicly for something he privately believed? The view from your high horse must be amazing, Rahm.

Per First Amendment expert Eugene Volokh, denying the company a building permit because of its managers’ political or religious views is grossly unconstitutional. The same is, and always was, true of the Ground Zero mosque in NYC; you can hope that they don’t build on the site, but when push comes to shove, they have the right. (The legal calculus would change if Chick-fil-A refused to serve gays, but as far as I know, the business itself has never discriminated.) The silver lining: If Rahm and Moreno are right about “Chicago values” then Chicagoans will simply refuse to patronize the new franchise. Evidently Chick-fil-A’s gambling that there are enough locals who’ll come to eat that it’s worth the expense of trying to set up shop. If Rahm’s serious about what he said, he should be willing to gamble too. Let them build and, after a boycott is inevitably organized, the market will decide who wins. And if the boycott works and Chick-fil-A decides to withdraw from blue states and cities, hey, I’ll live. We’ve still got the colonel in NYC, baby. He was pro-gay-marriage, right?

Update: I really should be above linking to Roseanne Barr’s tweets by now. I should be. And yet.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

GhoulAid on July 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Don’t forget the waffle fries. If you’ve never had them, they’re great.

INC on July 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Meanwhile in Boston………………………………

Boston mayor’s letter to Chick-fil-A: Stay out of Boston!
2 hrs 34 mins ago
*****************

On the heels of Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy’s controversial public comments against same-sex marriage, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino fired off a letter to Cathy, urging him to abandon plans to expand the fast food chain to his city.

“In recent days you said Chick-fil-A opposes same-sex marriage and said the generation that supports it has ‘an arrogant attitude,’” Menino wrote in a letter dated July 20 and published online Wednesday. “Now—incredibly—your company says you are backing out of the same-sex marriage debate. I urge you to back out of your plans to locate in Boston.”

“I think we are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,’” Cathy said in a recent radio interview. “I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about.”(More…)

===================================================

**The letter Boston’s mayor sent to the president of Chick-fil-A. (Click to enlarge)

canopfor on July 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM

oh, and i’ll also be purchasing a CHICK-FIL-A drink tumbler from their website. maybe i’ll go to some huge ghey event and just happen to bring it along since i’m sure i’ll be thurstay. ha ha ha. damn punks!

GhoulAid on July 25, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I am so impressed that these lefties are not worried about the jobs that will be either lost in their area or not created if they go scorched earth on a private business because of the owner’s political or moral views.

I mean really, is same sex marriage THE most important issue on the table right now?

karenhasfreedom on July 25, 2012 at 7:07 PM

GhoulAid on July 25, 2012 at 7:05 PM

The shakes are good, too.

kingsjester on July 25, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Don’t forget the waffle fries. If you’ve never had them, they’re great.

INC on July 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM

oh, i’ll be getting them. i’m going to town on that chick-fil-a menu. it may not be much, but it will make me feel better.

GhoulAid on July 25, 2012 at 7:09 PM

-allahpundit

I have a Labrador that knows he shouldn’t tangle with a porcupine. But there is something about porcupines that is irresistible. Even though he has had a quill incident or two, he still wants to get the porcupine. They must smell like Labrador candy.

I wonder if Rosanne smells like blogger linkie candy….

oldroy on July 25, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Tiny Dancer nneds to stuff his intolerant political correctness pogrom up his posterior with the rest of his politics.

rayra on July 25, 2012 at 7:12 PM

GhoulAid,

Since you’re headed downtown, please come back tomorrow and let us know how Chick-fil-A is faring there.

canopfor on July 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM

That is funny. Does Menino realize that Georgians generally don’t pay a lot of attention to Yankee opinions?

INC on July 25, 2012 at 7:13 PM

If the militant gay activists and their pals were consistent, they would be boycotting Chicago and the entire State of Illinois. Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the State of Illinois have the same position on SSM that Cathy and Chik-Fil-A have? I mean, isn’t SSM still illegal in Illinois?

Mayor Emanuel and Alderman Moreno, isn’t the State of Illinois “disrespecting (y)our fellow neighbours and residents”?

He might be a Progressive whackjob, but at least Congressman Raul Grijalva is consistent and has the “courage of his convictions” … if you are inclined to view immigration in the same manner as he does.

Resist We Much on July 25, 2012 at 7:15 PM

GhoulAid,

i’ve been to the yelp review page and it has a lot of 4/5 star ratings, and of course a handful of 1 star ratings with the usual mental midgets getting their panties twisted because of chick-fil-a’s “policies”. so laughbale, so sad.

GhoulAid on July 25, 2012 at 7:21 PM

“Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values,” the mayor said

How is this different from opposing a Muslim owner, or a Jewish owner, or a black owner? Liberals have these nice little politically correct categories that they give to and take away from, but they don’t understand the moral implications of what they’re doing, the larger moral picture. They have particular ideas of who they’re allowed to hate, and they are unquestioning in their attitudes. Morally, they don’t have a leg to stand on. They are acting with intolerance, prejudice, bigotry, racism. It’s highly disgusting to watch.

Paul-Cincy on July 25, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Bravo to the Cathy family. Stick with God’s word and don’t listen to the haters. You’ll prosper.

Mojave Mark on July 25, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I lived in the Chicago area for 8 years. It does not surprise me that a Chicago politician thinks traditional moral values do not fit in there. I could see him saying “After all, those ten commandment things would get in the way of a lot of business. Heck, the city would practically shut down if everyone followed those things because no one would pay a bribe to get a permit or keep from getting shut down by the city over some bogus ordinance.”

KW64 on July 25, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I’m wondering if they have any Muslim operated businesses in Chicago.

This dog crap is purely… “We are all going to think one way (unless you are Muslim). We will all have the same values (unless you are Muslim). No other views will be tolerated (unless you are Muslim).

Not really thinking here I am going to bow at the homosexual alter. Getting a little more than fed up with the ol “if you don’t embrace gay marriage, gay sex and gay Jesus” then you are going to be run out of town.

Now I know the homosexual agitator activists are all about homosexuality but the Dems don’t give a rip. They just want the power to rule over everyone. And whatever group helps them in that regards they will embrace… until they don’t need them anymore. And at some point, the Muslim community is going to mean more the Democrats than the gay community does.

Yeah, here’s an American business that doesn’t discriminate against anybody. But their owners are Christian and support Christian causes. So.. they are being persecuted and literally driven out of town.

JellyToast on July 25, 2012 at 7:25 PM

the Cathy family honestly professing their opposition to gay marriage

did they do that? I thought they merely affirmed what they believed and the implication is that they’re opposed. That’s two different things, isn’t it?

ted c on July 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Amen, I keep saying the same thing!

There is a Chick Fil A in Orland Park? I’ll be all over it like white on rice feathers on a chicken!

herm2416 on July 25, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Passed by a Chick-fil-a here in MD that is holding a grand opening tomorrow. They have offered the first 100 guests a free meal a week for a year. Tents have been put up in their parking lot as people are vying to be the first 100. The parking lot is full. It is a family atmosphere with kids playing frisbee in front of the restaurant. I will be sure to buy a meal myself tomorrow and I urge all those who haven’t already to do so. To try to use gay marriage as having superior values to traditional Christianity is to pervert the word “values.”

Christian Conservative on July 25, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Rahm Emmanuel = Bull Connor, but with a pen instead of a water hose.

Paul-Cincy on July 25, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Hubby & I were thinking of catching a Sunday matinee at the mall, and then grabing a bite to eat somewhere.
Methinks we’ll switch to Saturday, and grab us some Chik-fi-la !!
Yeah, we’ll do that.

pambi on July 25, 2012 at 7:31 PM

there are currently 3 chick-fil-a’s in Ill-annoys:

orland park
loyola water tower in-line
lombard

GhoulAid on July 25, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I think that I will have to start going twice as much now that I don’t have to worry about seeing any gays there.

Sporty1946 on July 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Rahm Emmanuel = Bull Connor, but with a pen instead of a water hose.

Paul-Cincy on July 25, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I think that should be tu tu instead of pen. He is the ballerina, isn’t he?

Sporty1946 on July 25, 2012 at 7:33 PM

OT, but cool …
Texas EARLY voting has QUADRUPLED that of any other primary runoff !
Go CRUZ !!

pambi on July 25, 2012 at 7:36 PM

They should just forget about the Chick-fil-A and open a Sonic Drive-In instead.

I mean, think about, the Sonic guys are huge Obama supporters which, by extension, means they support killing babies, which won’t “discriminate [ing] against a segment of the community.”

Plus you’d have the added bonus of, instead of having “drive-by” shootings, you could have “Drive-In” shootings where the victims willingly roller skate over to your (stolen) car!

Win-win!

pain train on July 25, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Where’s the civil rights legislation for those who think homosexual sex is ick?

Paul-Cincy on July 25, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Roseanne Barr is a deeply troubled woman. And why is it that she and so many other like-minded liberals (e.g., Sean Penn, Cher) cannot simply express their disagreement with someone without viciously attacking or insulting the person with whom they disagree, or wishing them cancer or some type of horrible accident, or even death?

Perhaps instead of attacking others, they could spend their time more productively by examining what it is in their own psyches that causes them to feel such intense hatred for people they don’t even know.

AZCoyote on July 25, 2012 at 7:40 PM

my bad, there are 14 locations in the great state of ill-annoys. suck it rahm. oh wait…

GhoulAid on July 25, 2012 at 7:41 PM

OT, but cool …
Texas EARLY voting has QUADRUPLED that of any other primary runoff !
Go CRUZ !!

pambi on July 25, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Every one I know is voting for Cruz. Palin and Demint will be in north Houston Friday night for a rally for Cruz. Luckily I don’t work too far from it.

TxAnn56 on July 25, 2012 at 7:43 PM

there are currently 3 chick-fil-a’s in Ill-annoys:

orland park
loyola water tower in-line
lombard

GhoulAid on July 25, 2012 at 7:31 PM

There is one at SIU Carbondale. But, that’s OK. Down here, we don’t consider ourselves part of (#&@**-nois either.

Actually, we would love to secede. We hate Chicago with a flaming passion and I was born and raised there.

A different world, to be sure.

98ZJUSMC on July 25, 2012 at 7:44 PM

AZCoyote on July 25, 2012 at 7:40 PM

roseanne barr’s twitter background image is of her embracing drugged out rock/movie star courtney love. explains it all.

GhoulAid on July 25, 2012 at 7:45 PM

tomorrow i will be headed downtown Chicago for my first ever trip to CHICK-FIL-A. and i am a homo-sex-u-al…..dunh dunh dunnnnnnnh…..and i will be getting chicken nuggets, lemonade, and a big fat vanilla milkshake. and you know what? all the other gheys, including rahm, can kiss my ass! i am so, so, so, so, sooooooooooooooooooooo very sick of the INTOLERANT left. i simply cannot imagine what all of you think of their disgusting tactics and having it shoved in your face every five seconds. i would apologize on behalf of “the gheys”, but there are few who, like me, do not put orientation before everything. and i do mean everything.

GhoulAid on July 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Absolutely not. Do NOT waste your shake on vanilla. ChickfiletA is doing their peach shake this month, and it is AWESOME!

BettyRuth on July 25, 2012 at 7:46 PM

“Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values,”

And therein layeth the source of all her many problems….

tommyboy on July 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM

BettyRuth on July 25, 2012 at 7:46 PM

the peach is a fruit. unfortunately, if i were to actually eat a piece of fruit, or a vegtable, my body would go into shock. if i could buy you one and have it shipped i would. more $ spent at cfa.

GhoulAid on July 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM

The shakes are good, too.

kingsjester on July 25, 2012 at 7:08 PM

The shakes are awesome! I got a chicken salad sandwich there and it was like the best one I ever tasted! The service is incredible. We stopped at one in Virginia and the manager stopped by our table and just struck up a conversation with us. He was going around asking everyone how their service was, how the food was.
Yeah.. hard work, excellent food, excellent service and they care about the customer. Yep. I guess these aren’t Chicago values.

JellyToast on July 25, 2012 at 7:56 PM

A fate worse than death. No fruit? Ever? That sucks, I feel for you dude.

tommyboy on July 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Rahm Emanuel: “Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values”

If true, then Shame on Chicago. But somehow, I’m skeptical…

tom on July 25, 2012 at 8:01 PM

tommyboy on July 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM

eh, some bananas, apples, and grapes here and there. but not the peach. sorry betty.

GhoulAid on July 25, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Someone needs to ask Obama point blank if he agrees with his fellow thugs in Boston and Chicago that they should be denied the right to create a business because of their support for traditional marriage. His answer is a win/win for conservatives and a lose/lose for him.

AmeriCuda on July 25, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Eat Mor Chiken
Quin Hillyer

“In response to the cheap shots aimed at Chick-fil-A, I ate at a Chick-fil-A just now. It was delicious. Well worth going to, again and again. For all those who care about private free speech against government bullying, and for all those who recognize that even if someone is against homosexual “marriage” it doesn’t make them “bigoted,” it might be a good idea to patronize Chick-fil-A for the rest of this month and on August 1, and to make known what you are doing.

Mayor Menino, meanwhile, can go blow — blow off his bile somewhere else.”

Green eyed Lady on July 25, 2012 at 8:04 PM

It’s the complete hatred that I just don’t understand. I’ve been angry at lefties and even lost all respect for some or completely questioned their intelligence, but I’ve never wanted them dead.

And yet, there are still plenty of gay marriage supporters who think it’s OK to deny people in love the federal recognition of marriage. They’re still OK with putting limits on what the government recognizes. In a few decades, they’ll still be considered backwards for not supporting the civil rights issue our grandchildren will be fighting.

That’s why I believe that if you truly support marriage “equality” then it shouldn’t be reliant on our shifting social mores. At that point, you’re admitting that it’s not about equality but rather about still being able to keep out the truly taboo.

Esthier on July 25, 2012 at 8:04 PM

A different world, to be sure.

98ZJUSMC on July 25, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I grew up in Carbondale. Absolute hellhole of a place..but glad it now has a Chick-Fil-A.

oceansidecon on July 25, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Nobody goes to Chik-Fil-a anymore…its way too crowded. Heck the one near me requires a traffic cop to direct traffic around it.

DanMan on July 25, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Heh.

Jaibones on July 25, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I must be in Bizzaro world. A blogger over at Ace’s site is encouraging the boycott of Chik-Fil-A

The Notorious G.O.P on July 25, 2012 at 8:09 PM

So…yeah…tell me again how pastors/churches won’t be punished for refusing to perform marriage ceremonies for homosexual couples.

If government officials can openly threaten and oppose a business owner not for breaking any laws or engaging in actual discrimination, but for not believing the “right” things and for supporting the “wrong” causes, then we are no longer a free people.

butterflies and puppies on July 25, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Just bought 2 tumblers and 2 decals, can’t wait to piss off some militant homosexuals and enjoy a cool beverage while knowing my money is supporting a great business and family! Please go purchase from their website and support them! You can find their merchandise under the “Company and Careers” tab. Lets put our money where our values are!

TheAudacityofNOPE on July 25, 2012 at 8:22 PM

It really is the dog days of summer this is non story.

If you don’t like Chick Fil A, don’t eat at Chick Fil A. If you do like the fast food franchise carry on. It’s a Nothin Burger Nugget.

Dr Evil on July 25, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Don’t paint all of us Illinois folks with the Chicago brush! We live in northern Lake County (north of Chicago) and it could be a million miles away. I go downtown once a year for a convention, but the other 364 days a year it could vanish for all I care. I have many friends downstate, and the loathing they all hold for Chicago and it’s control of the state cannot be expressed in words.

Consider: in the last election for Governor (in 2010, to replace the corrupt Demo Blaggo), only two counties in the state went D – Cook, and MacLean (Lib college town there), yet the spineless D won b/c Cook County went D.

brushman on July 25, 2012 at 8:26 PM

butterflies and puppies on July 25, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I think that is the real story here. Boston and Chicago are blatently in violation the civil right laws (what’s called a “1983″ action) act by openly, under cover of law, discriminating against a business purely on the basis of religion. Not to mention pursuing some sort of Orwellian exercise in “rightthink” etiquette. Sorting the victims and the oppressors by executive fiat.

tommyboy on July 25, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Chick-fil-A has a nice web site where you can see menus, get nutritional content, and find locations anywhere in the U.S.!

Aug. 1 – eat at a Chick-fil-A if at all possible.

IrishEyes on July 25, 2012 at 8:29 PM

tommyboy on July 25, 2012 at 8:29 PM

As far as I’m concerned, Emanuel’s pronouncement was equivalent to saying “we ain’t gonna have no n**ger owned businesses in this here city of Chicago as long as I’m mayor”.

Paul-Cincy on July 25, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Chicago Chic-Fil-A:

I will order a spicy chicken sandwich, and shoot the mother-f’er behind me, thanks oh and a coke also, no I mean some coke.

right2bright on July 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM

OT, but cool …
Texas EARLY voting has QUADRUPLED that of any other primary runoff !
Go CRUZ !!

pambi on July 25, 2012 at 7:36 PM

TxAnn56 on July 25, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I hear an announcement will be coming over the next couple of days about the Convention from Gov. Palin…

Green eyed Lady on July 25, 2012 at 8:47 PM

There is a Chick-fil-A in downtown Chicago, and it is always PACKED during business days. The funny thing about this little pander-stunt is that it actually is making people here go “Hm? I should try that!” Chick-fil-A is pretty much a mystery to us Midwestern yanks.

I went there yesterday with a co-worker, even though it’s grossly out-of-the-way for us, for our lunch break. So good. Today another co-worker is all “I want Chick-fil-A today… :(” and I told him he missed the field trip.

I’d love a Chick-fil-A on the north side of Chicago, though this proposed spot would still be kind of out of the way (but at least not right in tourist downtown).

But this is what Chicago pols do. GOD all the raging Walmart controversies here of the past 5 years or so — you wouldn’t know this unless you lived here. Thing is, you meet one or two “principled” anti-Chick-fil-A/whatever crazies, but the rest of us look at them with a big “?” looming over our heads.

And yeah. I’m gay. Chick-fil-A = awesomesauce. Rahm and “Joe” are idiots on this score.

lansing quaker on July 25, 2012 at 8:58 PM

A big THUMBS UP to Chick-fil-A and CEO Dan Cathy. His values are the same as mine.
In God We Trust

byteshredder on July 25, 2012 at 8:59 PM

it is getting a bit petty …. seems like they do not have any items left in their vacuous little commie bags

moyeti on July 25, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Rahm needs to worry about all the gang murders and shootings, instead of a fast food restaurant. He has made things worse as Mayor, like Obama as president. Both will go soon.

Amazingoly on July 25, 2012 at 9:09 PM

But gang violence, homicides.. Smash and grabmob disorder – those are Ok Chicago values , eh Rahmboob ??….

……your selective outrage is ……. Deafening.

FlaMurph on July 25, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Rahm wants us to look at the latest shiney object rather than the future they have in mind for all of us. Defenseless slaves to their will. Bunch of vacuous puks. That hive they are having in Chicago today (BHO just landed) is to plan their “end game” for the election. Let’s all pray they show their true colors, again and again and again.

moyeti on July 25, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Rahm: Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values.
Chick-fil-A: Thank God!

crazywater on July 25, 2012 at 9:13 PM

canopfor on July 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM

INC on July 25, 2012 at 7:13 PM

INC:Lol:)

canopfor on July 25, 2012 at 9:13 PM

the south needs to rise again to get this puks out of office. they are not going to go fair and square, we need to redouble show up rates and let them feel our dead fast resolve.

moyeti on July 25, 2012 at 9:19 PM

What are Chicago values I ask with trepidation? Somehow being disassociated with those values does not seem to be an insult.

Fuquay Steve on July 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM

So the courage here is clearly all on the Cathy side.

There’s no Chick-Fil-A in my town, but I have to go to LA on Monday, and I’ll patronize one then.

J.E. Dyer on July 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Yes, Rahm, because we know those Chicago values are working out so well.

1nolibgal on July 25, 2012 at 9:36 PM

because Chick-Fil-A doesn’t murder hundreds of people each year?

deimos on July 25, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Another mandate is emerging. Business must adopt the Liberal social agenda or be punished. If they can force abortion on us via ObamaCare, they can force gay marriage on us via business permits. How Nazi-esque. Totalitarians of a different kind.

Blue Collar Todd on July 25, 2012 at 9:55 PM

so would the traditional pro-”chicago values” fast food experience be : knee capping the customer while a male ballerina screams obscenities at him/her and sending them out the door with a dead fish in a box instead of some nice waffle fries and a chix sandwich?

mittens on July 25, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Once again, Democratic politicians want to decide for the people what choices they can have.

People that want to boycott an establishment are free to do so.

Politicians have no business making that choice for everyone.

farsighted on July 25, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Chicago values?

I’ll say. Chick-fil-A humanely kills the chicken it minimally processes it.

Chicago offers the chicken a protection deal, if it knows what’s good for it, involving intricate political kickbacks and judicial payoffs and if the chicken doesn’t pay up the dy-no-mite suitcase gets flung into the hen house and any survivors escaping get the old Chi-town Thompson mow down as they run for the, er, safety of outside.

viking01 on July 25, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Chick-fil-a needs to put these unconstitutional threats to the test. Apply for permits, and sue the idiots all the way to… oh damn! I forgot we don’t have a Supreme Court which actually upholds the Constitution anymore.

Murf76 on July 25, 2012 at 11:17 PM

GhoulAid on July 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM

GhoulAid, you are absolutely cracking me up. Many (most?) CFA’s have free wi-fi, so I hope all of you check in tomorrow and give us running updates.

I was at CFA having lunch today with son #2 when the Chicago story hit the HA headlines. The place was packed — as usual.

CJ on July 25, 2012 at 11:18 PM

IrishEyes on July 25, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Chick-fil-A’s website also has merchandise for sale. If you don’t live close by one of their restaurants, how about ordering a tee-shirt or hat on-line, and wearing it to show your support? Just sayin’…

StarLady on July 26, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Real nice chicken sandwiches you got there; shame if something happened to them…

ghostwalker1 on July 26, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Emmanuel is a moron. His city is in the crapper (where it belongs, thanks to Daley). And this fecal-brained DEMOCRAT pol (is there any other kind) wants to turn away a restaurant chain.

We had dinner a CFA tonight. We will go again and again. I am voting on the gay rights activists and haters with my dollars.

georgej on July 26, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I live in Florida and have a CCW. I pity the fool who tries violence when I am there.

georgej on July 26, 2012 at 12:46 AM

“Chicago values” shootin’ yo arse!

Sherman1864 on July 26, 2012 at 3:19 AM

I’m always amazed how intolerant ‘tolerant’people are. Personally I have changed my mind. I used to be for now I’m against. There needs to be a legal framework where people can solve civil rights issues like next of kin etc.
But I’m not sure that framework should be marriage. On the benefits front, I’m not sure either.I’m an unmarried woman with no kids. I’ve been paying stuff all my life I’ll never use. Should I be able to pass that on to some random person? Not sure.
After all being single is my choice.

Hope on July 26, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Hey, has anyone seen that new Roseanne Barr movie? Has anyone seen that new Roseanne Barr TV show? Has anyone seen that new Roseanne Barr comedy club act?

You know why you haven’t seen any of the above? Because none of them happened, because this bloated bloviating assclown has-been excuse for a human being is NO LONGER RELEVANT!

So let her tweet from now until the moo-moo’s come home! No one is listening anyway!

pilamaye on July 26, 2012 at 5:49 AM

“Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values”

Not unless you shoot the chicken with an illegal handgun, beat it up, force it to buy healthcare from the government or otherwise take away its freedom.

Just one persons observations from the last few years…

Marcus Traianus on July 26, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Well, Chicago values would appear to incorporate murder, mayhem, and random gunplay, so Emanual probably has a point.

zoyclem on July 26, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Yep Obrhama sure has proven his point about value differences with Chi-town leading the nation in murders. Good going obrhama!

jbh45 on July 26, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Is it love up the arse?…

Pest on July 26, 2012 at 7:49 AM

If this is a battle Chick-Fil-A wants to fight, more power to them. Personally, I’d shake the dust of Stinking Onion off my sandals and move on to a friendlier, more tolerant and less violence-prone community, like Damascus.

Extrafishy on July 26, 2012 at 8:06 AM

The left is being insanely hypocritical about Chik FIl A. I was discussing the issue with friends last night as we ate a meal at Moe’s southwest burrito place or whatever. And you know that they use tomato’s and avocado’s grown on farms that exploit the labor of illegals. When I pointed this out I got collective eye rolls from the table of white, middle class privileged gay men. Ah well.

libfreeordie on July 26, 2012 at 8:17 AM

libfreeordie on July 26, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Credit where credit is due. Good job for pointing that out. That kind of thing is pretty much why I abandoned the left not very long after becoming sick of the right-wing…not only were they ALSO a bunch of simpletons, they were such !#@$ing hypocrites.

MelonCollie on July 26, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Guess I’ll be having lunch at any Chik-Fil-A I can find.

GoodAg77 on July 26, 2012 at 8:24 AM

libfreeordie on July 26, 2012 at 8:17 AM

That certainly is very very special.

tom daschle concerned on July 26, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Regarding the quote in the headline: I don’t think anyone was under the impression that was not the case.

PJ Emeritus on July 26, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Are all these lib mayors delusional? Rhambo is begging the gang bangers to leave the kids alone, ‘kay, and now he wants to pick on a company that believes in Christian values. Sad.

Kissmygrits on July 26, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Drudge: Rahm welcomes help from Farrakahn

Chicago Rahm values:

Farrakahn – Welcome
Chic-fil-A – Not welcome

petefrt on July 26, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Not corrupt enough. Bet if they paid the protection it would be OK.

ironked on July 26, 2012 at 9:29 AM

This little Punk is a joke!! Chicago values? Chicago has no values. Murder is rampant there and all they can do is worry about the feelings of the Faggots!! What a disgrace! Emanuel is a typical little Runt with a Napolean complex. He was put in offce to do the bidding of his boss, the Community Organizer! In one swoop, he puts down an American business man and welcomes Calypso Louie Farakhan, the Black Satan!! I hope all decent Americans remember this in November and do not vote for anyone with a ‘D’ after their name!

Jersey Dan on July 26, 2012 at 9:47 AM

More reason for me to patronize the nearest Chick-fil-a establishent.

Mutnodjmet on July 26, 2012 at 9:51 AM