Palin, DeMint to rally for Ted Cruz in Houston on Friday

posted at 7:57 pm on July 25, 2012 by Allahpundit

In case you need more proof that Cruz has a very real chance of pulling this upset, he’s now got tea-party icons ready to spend political capital — in person — on pushing him over the top.

Sarah Palin is getting back on the campaign trail. She’ll hit the road this Friday at an evening rally for Ted Cruz, Texas candidate for the U.S. Senate, at the Woodlands, north of Houston, his campaign and a Palin friend confirmed for ABC News…

And it’s not just Palin. South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint will also be on hand for the 6 p.m. rally. Glenn Beck will be featured at another rally Thursday at the American Airlines Arena in Dallas and Rick Santorum will be campaigning with Cruz over the weekend, although the details are still being worked out…

The former Alaska governor has a stellar GOP primary endorsement record so far this cycle. She backed Orrin Hatch in his Senate primary in Utah, Richard Mourdock in his primary against Dick Lugar in Indiana, and helped Deb Fischer with her surprise victory in Nebraska. She still has not formally endorsed Mitt Romney nor joined him on the campaign trail.

Even in Texas, tea partiers are outnumbered by non-tea partiers — but not by much. According to PPP’s poll taken two weeks ago, fully 40 percent of the electorate identifies as TP and Cruz utterly crushes Dewhurst among them, 71/26. Dewhurst, meanwhile, leads 57/34 among the 50 percent of Texas Republicans who say they’re non-TPers. Inviting Palin and DeMint is thus a no-brainer: Not only is it a way to widen Cruz’s already gigantic lead among TPers, it’s a fire alarm for those who haven’t paid much attention to the race yet (are there any conservatives in Texas who haven’t?) to let them know they need to turn out next Tuesday. Not good enough? All right: The Tea Party Express is hosting a “radiothon” on Cruz’s behalf tonight at 9 p.m. with the entire Senate tea-party caucus as guests. National conservative all-stars are now all-in for the upstart. Except for, er, Huck.

As further reading, here’s National Journal with four signs that “Cruz-mentum” is taking hold in Texas. And if you’re still inclined to doubt, here’s how desperate a pro-Dewhurst group is to take him down before the polls open next week. Wow.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

cozmo on July 25, 2012 at 11:19 PM

The ONLY things good about Houston are that it’s in Texas and near Galveston-other than that…gimme my Chi-town!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 25, 2012 at 11:22 PM

You went to Houston Texas and didn’t go see NASA?

Tourist

workingclass artist on July 25, 2012 at 11:56 PM

And if you are driving, if you don’t visit Luckenbach, Fredricksburg and the LLano uplift (Enchanted Rock), you ain’t a Texan, yet.

While you are in Luckenbach, pick me up a T-shirt. Mine is wearing out.
Please

cozmo on July 25, 2012 at 11:32 PM

*snicker*

workingclass artist on July 25, 2012 at 11:58 PM

workingclass artist on July 25, 2012 at 11:56 PM

My husband dropped me off @ a mall while he went to a meeting. We stayed overnight in a motel. The next day we drove to SA and then home.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2012 at 12:03 AM

think Greg Abbott as his eye on that?

workingclass artist on July 25, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I think you could be correct. He’s stayed well out of this brouhaha.

Twerp, I’ll keep my humidity, I missed it last summer when there was zero rain. Sounds crazy, I know, but I have dry skin that drove me nuts when I lived in OK for college.

lizzie beth on July 25, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Yeah…they say Abbott’s built a $10 million war chest.

Everybody is waiting to see what Perry will do…and he’s waiting to see how this 2012 race shakes out.

It’s too close to call right now but I think Dewhurst will squeak past Cruz.

I grew up in Houston during the NASA age…Great time to be a kid in Houston.

workingclass artist on July 26, 2012 at 12:11 AM

When I was a kid we lived in a burb north of Chicago. The only good thing I remember about Chicago was the Museum of Science and Industry. It was great.

If I had to pick between Chicago and Houston, it would be Houston in a heartbeat. The towns surrounding it, particularly on the north side, are wonderful.

Shay on July 26, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Shay on July 26, 2012 at 12:14 AM

And then they went and put the U-505 underground, go figure.

cozmo on July 26, 2012 at 12:18 AM

workingclass artist on July 25, 2012 at 11:56 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Next time ya go….NASA is very cool

Galveston has a lot of great history & across the bay on the peninsula you can drive down to Crystal Beach where there are less crowds and beach a far as the eye can see…Not as pretty as Mustang Island but great beach.

When I was a kid we’d drive early in the morning to catch the saners hauling in their nets & shop our catch right out of the net before they loaded up for the market. That’s where I saw my first hammerhead…thrashing in a net.

There’s lots to do Houston, but it takes time to do the city properly.

workingclass artist on July 26, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I went to Chicago…lived in Indianapolis so Chicago was close.

I liked the Art Institute,Chi-dogs and the lake…but it aint’ no ocean.

That was the hardest thing about living in the mid-west…Beautiful country and great people but I knew I couldn’t jump in the car and head to the coast when I wanted to.

Even in a state as big as Texas….I can drive to the Gulf in a 1/2 day & that’s a great feeling.

workingclass artist on July 26, 2012 at 12:28 AM

It’s too close to call right now but I think Dewhurst will squeak past Cruz.

workingclass artist on July 26, 2012 at 12:11 AM

That would be a shame, but there’s every possibility it could happen. I wouldn’t be surprised by either result. I’m sure I will hold my nose and vote for Dewhurst if I have to, but it will be with much reluctance, the way he’s conducted himself lately is stomach turning.

lizzie beth on July 26, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Look up the meaning. I understand that you grew up in a Yiddish speaking family.

Cleombrotus on July 25, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Shiksa is similar to goy, male equivalent. And no, goy is simply non-Jewish male, not a snake.

Actually, I did see the wiki and as with some other wikis on subjects I am pretty familiar with I took it with a grain of salt. Shiksa is NOT a derivative of some slang from Poland, don’t care what the wiki says, I was born and grew up in a city that used to be in Poland until the great divide of 1939 with half the population speaking polish.

riddick on July 26, 2012 at 1:10 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 26, 2012 at 12:03 AM

The National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredricksburg (Nimitz’s hometown) is amazing and easily worth spending one or two days on.

I was lucky enough to visit with some now elderly Marines who served in the Pacific during WWII while there, they all had remarkable stories to tell.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 26, 2012 at 2:45 AM

I’ve already early voted for Cruz. This was on Monday, and not during the lunch hour. I was surprised that I actually had to wait before I could vote. There are normally near-vacant precincts, so I’m hoping there were other Cruz voters as well.

golfer1 on July 26, 2012 at 3:16 AM

You went to Houston Texas and didn’t go see NASA?

Tourist

workingclass artist on July 25, 2012 at 11:56 PM

She forgot her burqa and they wouldn’t let her in.

Extrafishy on July 26, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Sarah’s still pokin’ the rinos in the eye. Watched Doug Schoun on Hannity last night and all he could say was that she was divisive as the reason she shouldn’t speak at the R convention. The Ds must really be afraid she’ll spark the base for Mitt.

Kissmygrits on July 26, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Governor Palin’s 2012 US Senate endorsements:

Sarah Steelman – Missouri
Jeff Flake – Arizona
Orrin Hatch – Utah
Ted Cruz – Texas
Deb Fischer – Nebraska
Richard Mourdock – Indiana

Depending on how they do, and they are doing very well so far, that would be more than 10% of a senate majority.

Add 2010 US Senate endorsements

Senator Marco Rubio – Florida
Senator Rand Paul – Kentucky
Senator Kelly Ayotte – New Hampshire
Senator John Boozman – Arkansas
Senator Pat Toomey – Pennsylvania

That is more than 20% solid conservatives of a US Senate majority.
She, Club for Growth, and Senator Jim DeMint seem to be mostly on the same page. When they weren’t her candidate won.

Viator on July 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Viator on July 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Thanks for posting this info. Nice to have a record all in one place:-)

I like Glenn Beck’s description of this TP gathering in Texas this weekend: ‘Tea Party Cavalry Rides Into Texas”

United we stand!!

bluefox on July 26, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Ds must really be afraid she’ll spark the base for Mitt.

Kissmygrits on July 26, 2012 at 7:59 AM

The problem is that the GOP is afraid of the same thing. Don’t get me wrong, they want Romney to win. They just don’t want us to get any credit or have any influence when he does. The GOP hates Conservatives and we just keep taking it.

SKYFOX on July 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM

For all of the Palin lovers out there, I’m aware any criticism is taken personally, but the question has to be asked “has anyone with less accomplishments been given the platform she has?”

Politically? Sure. Mitt Romney.

Reagan converted people, Palin alienates people.

Tater Salad on July 25, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Reagan alienated lots of people. I’m sure he had his crew of GOP ankle-biters as well.

ddrintn on July 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM

SKYFOX on July 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I agree. Also it may have something to do with Rubio. Jeb Bush is pushing Rubio and has met with Romney to discuss it. If this happens, they want Rubio to be the “star”. Agree with you on the GOP hating Conservatives & especially the Tea Party.

I posted my thots with a link on last night’s QOTD this morning.

bluefox on July 26, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I live in Eddie Bernice Johnson’s district. The only thing that keeps her from being goofier than Sheila Jackson Lee, is that EBJ cannot think well enough to spout off very often.

cozmo on July 25, 2012 at 11:05 PM

You win.

J.E. Dyer on July 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Just wanted to highlight this statement again- and in an allahpundit post!

‘course, it was a quote from someone else…

cs89 on July 26, 2012 at 2:16 PM