Obama has ‘no patience’ for frequent quoting of dumb thing he said

posted at 1:21 pm on July 25, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

“I didn’t say that” is the new “You didn’t build that.”

On the heels of a new ad, which attempts to clarify his now infamous remarks about business and success, Politico reports President Obama vented about attacks at a Seattle fund raiser:

“I have to tell you, I generally have patience with what the other side says about me, that’s a requirement of this job,” Obama said during a $5,000-per-plate fundraiser here, according to the pool report.

“And if you don’t like folks talking about you, you probably shouldn’t run for president. The one thing I do have no patience for is this argument that somehow what I’m criticizing is success… I want to promote success,” Obama said.

He touted the story of Costco founder Jim Sinegal, host of the event, to reiterate that he totes hearts success:

“[W]hat I know is that Jim’s story, my story, the story of so many of you, our success was made possible in this country because our parents, our grandparents our great grandparents, stretching all the way back to the founders, they had a vision that says, you know what, insists on hard work and individual initiative,” Obama said.

“We’re going to reward risk and entrepreneurship. People are going to have to sweat and sacrifice for their success. But there are some things that we’re also going to do together to make sure that everyone has success. Not everyone’s going to succeed, but everyone’s going to have a shot at success,” the president said.

Once again, even leaving the “you didn’t build that” quote aside, is this passage a celebration of success? Is it a pledge to stand behind entrepreneurs?

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges.

He wishes he hadn’t said it, but he did, and it’s a casual dismissal of what it takes to succeed mixed with a sense of entitlement to what entrepreneurs create, along with a tsk-tsk implication that they give nothing back despite the fact that they pay taxes. Gee, I wonder why everyone heard it wrong.

Allahpundit wondered last night if Obama ’08 ever directly answered a line of attack in an ad like this. I wonder why, if he’s going to respond with these ads in 2012, he doesn’t launch them earlier or not at all.

Obama made his “you didn’t build that” comments on July 15 (Correction: July 13). He released a response ad 11 days later. He uttered his last major gaffe— “The private sector is doing fine.”— on June 8. His response ad came out June 25.

In both instances, the gap allowed Republicans to launch several ads without much competition for cementing the public’s impression of the statement, then Obama swooped in to give new life to the story when it might have been on the verge of dying down. Seems odd, doesn’t it, from the genius crew of Obama ’08?

Old and busted: rapid response. New hotness: two-weeks-later response.

Then, there’s this. HAHAHAHA!

Now, everyone whistle along:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

How long before O starts attacking the American people directly for their inability to “get” what he’s saying?

Nick_Angel on July 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.

unclejack on July 25, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Regardless of the Pretzle Logic you employ regarding what words Obama said, if you take the quotations as a whole, the entire two paragraphs, you come up with a simple essential message:

If your football team won the superbowl it wasn’t because of Great Strategy by the Coaches, It wasn’t because of Hard Work of the Players – It was because the Groundskeeper made the field level with crisp lines in the grass.

jaydee_007 on July 25, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Salahuddin on July 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Two Qs:

1. Wasn’t infrastructure what we were supposed to be buying with the $800+ billion Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Stimulus Act of 2009?

2. Haven’t you heard about the $100 billion, BIPARTISAN 2012 Highway Bill, which will primarily pay for roads and bridges and is more than any country on the planet will spend on infrastructure this year?

and help send thousands of construction workers back to work. Would you?

Salahuddin on July 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Two more Qs:

1. Do you realise that most unemployed construction workers worked in the housing industry?

2. Do you understand that the construction workers used to build houses are not the same used to build road and bridges because they have different training and skill sets?

Resist We Much on July 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Obama seems to think that successful people never realize that they had help…I think a lot of successful people thank their parents, their families, their communities and maybe even a particular mentor..but in the end it was their drive that made the difference.

I have to wonder what Oprah Winfrey thinks of Obama’s comments. She did all right for a poor black girl from the South. I wonder if she thinks she did not build Harpo Productions.

Terrye on July 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I would have never, ever guessed Obama would have the ability to make Biden sound bright.

sdbatboy on July 25, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Then tell the Republicans in Congress to pass the President’s Jobs Act bill to repair our crumbling bridges and roads and help send thousands of construction workers back to work. Would you?

Salahuddin on July 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Wasn’t aware the Republicans controlled the Senate.

When did that happen?

FAIL

Del Dolemonte on July 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Salahuddin, you make dummies very proud.

Schadenfreude on July 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM

morganfrost on July 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Absolutely right. Government should stay OUT of business. When govt takes it upon itself to “reward”, it also takes upon itself to punish – pretty soon you would have a situation like the stimulus where all Owe’s contributors got the goods. Businesses succeed because of the capitalistic system, not because government rewards or even supports them. The consumers in effect reward business by making choices as to which products they wish to purchase at what price.

Government should protect and defend (how about that – just what Owe’s government is not going to do when it cuts 40% of the Pentagon’s budget) and provide for the common (meaning all, not just contributors) welfare.

katablog.com on July 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Salahuddin on July 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Two more Qs:

Resist We Much on July 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM

The Unit is not designed to respond in that area. Please do not confuse it with Facts.

Del Dolemonte on July 25, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Terrye on July 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM

O’bama probably told her to shut up. Why?

Because she knows not all infrastructure is created by the Government. After all, she built her own 4 mile long paved road on Mau’i, and refuses to let the locals use it.

Enjoy!

Del Dolemonte on July 25, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Then, there’s this. HAHAHAHA!

Just like Rush…the people follow without thinking. Mitt has hypnotized the whole nation, that silver tongue orator, the one that the DNC spent months saying he can’t connect (and so did I), why all of a sudden he’s the Pied Piper of American Politics.
Suddenly Mitt has connected, in the most nefarious way…amazing the transformation that took place.

right2bright on July 25, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I can’t believe this “you didn’t build that” nonsense is still going on. The implications is that the business creator is given something for free.
As someone that started a business I can tell you that nothing was given to me. I may not have built ‘that’ road or bridge, but I sure as hell paid my share of the price of it in the form of taxes. I guess that, technically, I didn’t ‘do that alone’, I may have had ‘help’, but I didn’t get any help that I didn’t pay for.

Using that I didn’t personally build something to imply that I got something for nothing is infuriating, because I’m taxed mercilessly.

leon on July 25, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Salahuddin on July 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Ok and you tell Harry and Barry it’s been over 1,180 days and they still have not come up with a budget to vote on. You do know that’s their job right? Their incompetence is unprecedented.
As far as the roads and bridges well billions in stimulus $ was supposed to go to “shovel ready” jobs (remember that bs) to fix our infrastructure and instead Barry used our tax money to pay off his cronies so they could piss away a few trillion on failed green energy junk science. (i.e Solyndra, Lightsquared). The only green jobs he created are a couple fascist energy czars that haven’t resigned in scandal yet like that communist Van Jones.

Buttercup on July 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Try not to be to hard on Salahuddin, Salahuddin is obviously very sad. 0 is done!

Bmore on July 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Yeah, okay Salahuddin, let’s just throw more money down the crapper and see if it works this time. A trillion in stimulus, and all Obama can say, “Uh, well, heh, evidently those shovel-ready jobs weren’t all that shove-ready.”

John the Libertarian on July 25, 2012 at 4:13 PM

They just try to wait it out. Defend via surrogates if they have to, but ignore the issue outright as a matter of principle.

ted c on July 25, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I want to promote success,” Obama said.

I’m sure he does, greater success means more tax revenue to share. Keep it up Champ and they’ll get that teleprompter fixed for you.

DDay on July 25, 2012 at 4:18 PM

a statement that, when translated, means that a “shot at success” actually means “welfare”….

ted c on July 25, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Look Daddy! the “shot at success” line is shorter than the “soup line”!!

ted c on July 25, 2012 at 4:26 PM

you know you are over the target when you start getting flak.

rjoco1 on July 25, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Invalid question. He KNOWS that a lot of us KNOW exactly what he’s saying. He keeps saying what he’s saying to schmooze his base – who don’t know any better are as big a Marxist as he.

GuitarSlinger on July 25, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Nick_Angel on July 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM

The O may not, but his surrogates in the media are pushing the “he’s too smart for average guy” meme.

From the Ed man himself:

itsspideyman on July 25, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Say it ain’t so. How can business-types even consider rubbing shoulders with Obama? I suppose if he’s got his and has cashed out in the IPO, he can pursue whatever liberal agenda he wants. But could he have ever succeeded in an Obama economy?

BuckeyeSam on July 25, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Oh, lots of already huge business loves Democrats, because when they regulate the heck out of the economy, the little guy is crushed and big boys can eat up the market share.

PastorJon on July 25, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Obama has ‘no patience’ for frequent quoting of dumb thing he said and firmly believes.

Fixed.

RadClown on July 25, 2012 at 4:35 PM

ted c on July 25, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Yep, either that or crony capitalism.

Solyndria, GM, Chrysler…….

itsspideyman on July 25, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Your actions, Mr. President, are louder than your words, and your actions scream “let us diligently punish the achievers.”

MessesWithTexas on July 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Salahuddin on July 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM

He already got a trillion or so, and all he did with it was funnel it to his cronies, who funnel it back to him as campaign contributions. He sent it to blue states to prop up their budgets. Why do you think construction workers are the only people out of work? Because they are union? It seems that is the only group that matters to Obama. Giving our money to his friends. He’s had plenty of time to do what needed to be done. He didn’t. He’s a failure.

Night Owl on July 25, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Look Daddy! the “shot at success” line is shorter than the “soup line”!!

ted c on July 25, 2012 at 4:26 PM

persuasive enough visually to be made into an ad: Baracka’s America :(…sadly, true….

jimver on July 25, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Obama has ‘no patience’ for frequent quoting of dumb thing he said

Of course not. His voting bloc is based on people who don’t follow politics and brush over what he says (witness all those who try to defend him by putting words in his mouth).

The best description of Obama in 2008 was that of a blank slate that others could project their desires onto. Thus, he became what they wanted. He is irritated when recent history is used to refute his “blank slate” and break his followers out of their trance. If they wake up… he loses. And many are stirring right now…

dominigan on July 25, 2012 at 4:48 PM

For a guy who says “let me be clear”, “make no mistake” and “as I’ve said before” as much as he does Barry sure has a clarification problem.

Buttercup on July 25, 2012 at 5:02 PM

People think Obama is great at campaigning. He isn’t. The only contested election Obama has ever won was against McCain. He’s a one hit wonder. I’ll repeat just to make it clear. Before 2008, Obama has never won an election where there was a viable opponent.

MrX on July 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I can see Obama now in the bathroom telling someone…”You see that bowell movement? You didn’t do that. Someone helped you do that. Someone cooked the food that you at and made the toilet and the toilet paper. You would have never been able to do that if you did not have help.”

logicman_1998 on July 25, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Obama has ‘no patients’

Of course, he may have ObamaCare named after him, but he still isn’t a doctor

J_Crater on July 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM

A little touchy, aren’t we Barry. Are we starting to lose it? Is the veil starting to come unraveled? Is the meltdown about to begin?

petefrt on July 25, 2012 at 5:23 PM

MrX on July 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Even that’s debatable. McCain’s “viability” died when he decided that challenging anything Obama said was “racist.”

Resist We Much on July 25, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I don’t really care what this tool says. I do care that while I lived in Hawaii; whenever “the one” would show up, it would lock the island down. H1 is the main highway on Oahu, and it would take 3-4 hours to make it anywhere on the island. Screw him. Now this tool has helicopters circling around the city for the entire night. I could not sleep, and my 3 year old didn’t either. That I am retired military, I thought that I was back in the sand again. It sucked, he sucks, that sucked, starting to be a pattern. I can’t wait for November so I can drive and sleep again.

Molonlabe2004 on July 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Typical lyin’-ass leftist, tryin to reframe the argument. People are not pissed you are ‘Criticizing success’. People are pissed, because you think all success, and all things good, flow from Government. Jackass.

I wish there was a drummer, set up next to this buffoon doing ‘rimshots’ every time this ridiculous CHILD said something like this.

a5minmajor on July 25, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Costco founder Jim Sinegal is doubling down on stupid, writing a fundraising letter for Obama and saying he is “proud” to support him.

cat_owner on July 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM

“People are going to have to sweat and sacrifice for their success. But there are some things that we’re also going to do together to make sure that everyone has success. Not everyone’s going to succeed, but everyone’s going to have a shot at success,”

This is totally incoherent. You have to sweat and sacrifice for success. But we want to make sure everyone has success, even if they don’t sweat or sacrifice? And, the real winner here is that he wants to make sure that “everyone has success” and then notes that “note everyone’s going to succeed.” Remind me again why people think that he’s smart and eloquent?

besser tot als rot on July 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM

ted c on July 25, 2012 at 4:18 PM

His Democrat Media ignored the “you didn’t build that” failure for 4 days.

Dr. Goebbels and Uncle Joe Stalin would be proud of them.

Del Dolemonte on July 25, 2012 at 5:51 PM

cat_owner on July 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Jim Sinegal would be wise to take a look at Oprah. How’d that whole Obama endorsement in 2008 work out for her?

Resist We Much on July 25, 2012 at 5:57 PM

. . . but everyone’s going to have a shot at success.” – Barry O

Mmmmmm hmmmmm. Which translates to, “We’re going to take your money and give it to somebody else.”

SSDD.

Pablo Snooze on July 25, 2012 at 5:59 PM

besser tot als rot on July 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM

As is Marxist thought in general…

Pest on July 25, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Salahuddin on July 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Irrelevant.

For two years Obama had a democratically controlled House and Senate. If he wanted this bill it would have passed in less than a week. No Republicans would have stood in the way. Instead he crammed through Obamacare.

Besides, this is what the purpose of the stimulus was supposed to be for. Where were the shovel-ready projects?

itsspideyman on July 25, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Mitt needs to keep up the pressure. Obaby is facing real criticism for once, and he can’t take it.

Nick_Angel on July 25, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Just be cautious, he may go all ‘Holmes’ on you.

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Send him packing!

Schadenfreude on July 25, 2012 at 1:33 PM

But before that happens, what she said!

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Groucho foil: “Sir, you try my patience.”

Groucho: “Don’t mind if I do, you must come by and try mine some time.”

ConservativeLA on July 25, 2012 at 7:40 PM

It is not only the words that Obama uses in his now infamous “you didn’t build that” statement, but it’s also his tone of voice. As if he’s scolding entrepreneurs for their success and is every bit as indicative of Obama’s true feelings as his actual words are.

The GOP should run the full statement of Obama’s in a commercial as the tone runs so counter to the “above the fray” and “hey, can’t we all just get along” demeanor in his commercials.

mpthompson on July 25, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I am a Costco member, but after my membership expires, I will not renew. I’ll switch to BJs or Sams Club.

ARBY’s is on my sh1t list too. I will support Wendy’s instead.

UltimateBob on July 25, 2012 at 2:51 PM

…that’s what I am doing.

KOOLAID2 on July 25, 2012 at 8:18 PM

For the first time in his life he has real opposition, the field hasn’t been cleared for him to promenade as the messiah.

His majesty doesn’t like it much.

That’s OK he can kinda sorta, get over it.

Buck up buttercup.

Speakup on July 25, 2012 at 8:29 PM

A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Obama opened his and got both of his inserted and then Lizzy Warren added hers…

That’s a few too many dogs at once.

ajacksonian on July 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Jim created a business.

You, fool, created nothing, ever, except hot air.

Not to be confused with the smart and hard working Michelle Malkin, who invented Hot Air!!

Sweet_Thang on July 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM

cat_owner on July 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM

OK good bye Costco, I will stop shopping there…

mnjg on July 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM

“HEY!!!, NOT FAIR!!!! THEY TOOK MY WORDS OUT OF CONTEXT!!!!!”
This, from the people who just last week called Romney “a felon”, and played an endless loop of Romney’s out of context quote “I like to fire people who provide services to me…!!!”…comical

Note to Obama/Axlerod/Plouffe:
“you need to put on your “big boy pants”
~Debbie Waserman Shultz

Strike Hornet on July 25, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Note to Obama/Axlerod/Plouffe:
“you need to put on your “big boy pants”
~Debbie Waserman Shultz

Strike Hornet on July 25, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Sweet, Hornet. :)

itsspideyman on July 25, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Nick_Angel on July 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM

When he starts doing than, it means Obummer is losing in a landslide of epic proportions.

Jurisprudence on July 25, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Patience, Grasshopper.

J.E. Dyer on July 25, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Salahuddin on July 25, 2012 at 1:56 PM

You have no idea what you’re talking about

tacodawn on July 25, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Emperor Hussein doesn’t like being mocked.

Therefore we must mock him some more!

wildcat72 on July 25, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Emperor Hussein doesn’t like being mocked.

Therefore we must mock him some more!

wildcat72 on July 25, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Oh yea! Sociopathic narcissists don’t take mockery well. We need to find his buttons and push them. The meltdown could be epic.

slickwillie2001 on July 26, 2012 at 12:03 AM

An ad? To try and clarify dopey utterances that express his actual beliefs? Yeah that’s an efficient application of resources. Not many campaigns have to spend money to walk back the actions of the candidate. He might want to take a cue from Otter in Animal House when he’s questioned about saying the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor: “Hey I was on a roll. Did you hear all the hallelujahs I was getting from that crowd? The folks that come to my speeeches eat that stuff up. They’re not that smart. And none of them will come anywhere near success if I have anything to say about it.”

curved space on July 26, 2012 at 5:59 AM

curved space on July 26, 2012 at 5:59 AM

But how can Obama say something like that?

I mean, those not-that-smart folks use the same roads and bridges successful people do?

Why are they not successful???

Why can’t they be as successful as, say, Wallace “Wally” Amos?

High school dropout…ended up being wildly successful.

Maybe Obama can come up with an ad telling all of us why soooo many million Americans are trapped in poverty despite largely socialist programs started decades and decades ago to eradicate poverty?

Maybe Obama can tell us why the Dems honestly hate Black people, and Hispanics American citizens?

Trying to keep Blacks on the plantation and trying to allow illegal Hispanics a lot more goodies from government that hard-working honest Hispanic American citizens are required to pay for.

This Obama “you didn’t do that on your own” stuff has opened up all sorts of possibilities.

Maybe we really need to ask Obama at his next weekly press conference. He does have the most transparent Administration, ever. Right?

coldwarrior on July 26, 2012 at 6:52 AM

O has no patience for those who refuse to buy into the absurd notion that he is a moderate and a uniter and who instead peg him as the two-bit Marxist he really is…

Pest on July 26, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Pest on July 26, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Any candidate or office holder who states that Obama is a decent or good man or otherwise aids and abets this @$!!&! should be fully noted and appropriate electoral steps taken to make sure they never obtain office or are removed from office with all deliberate speed.

coldwarrior on July 26, 2012 at 6:59 AM

There’s road and bridge construction going on in every state, believe me I should know. I just drove from Missoula, Mt., to Tampa, Fla. I80 through Nebraska for example is totally under reconstruction. This is the road repair season in our state and I90 is being worked on. Roads and bridges are not being neglected. It would be better if the govt didn’t steal from the road tax collected on the gas we buy, now that would be a utopia to strive for.
He’s now into splicing and dicing his own words with that ad since he never said what he’s now saying he said. Stop! I’m gettin’ dizzier.

Kissmygrits on July 26, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Kissmygrits on July 26, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Old joke: There are only two seasons around here…winter and road construction.

Extrafishy on July 26, 2012 at 8:35 AM

coldwarrior on July 26, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Don’t get me started…Whup! Too late. Unfortunately there seems to be racial element in that particular audience, and the Democrat Plantation does exist (polling at mid- to high-90s). But signs of wake-up are out there.

If President Choom has succedded at anything he has been the post- racial president in one sense — with all the over-educated hiptsers and the unexperienced, semi-educated “yutes’ of all races included he polls at mid- to high 40s. So he has managed to build a Trans-Racial Bridge of Cluelessness. But, oh, guess what, he didn’t build that alone. He was helped by the totally infiltrated schools, the hordes of unthinking habitual, hereditary rank-and-file Democrats and mostly, by the media. I’ll stop there. Their contribution to this kind of thing are not nearly new and I’ve seen it first-hand.

curved space on July 26, 2012 at 8:37 AM

succeeded

contributions

D’oh!

curved space on July 26, 2012 at 8:44 AM

RUN THAT COMMERCIAL AGAIN ! AND AGAIN ! AND AGAIN ! AND KEEP RUNNING IT !

If your competition lets you know how you can get into his head, you do it !

We got around 100 days left, if Obama is going to continue to turn off Americans; let’s help him do it.

cougar on July 26, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Don’t be too hard on Salahuddin. That is obviously an Arab name and he is just trying to protect his fellow Muslim, Barack Hussein!!!

Jersey Dan on July 26, 2012 at 10:00 AM

“We’re going to reward risk and entrepreneurship.”

*cough*BULLSHIT!*cough*