Can the First Wives help their husbands win?

posted at 2:41 pm on July 25, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

It’s an honest question. I might at first be tempted to argue that, what with the horrible state of the economy, jobs, and the national debt, Americans have bigger fish to fry insofar as their presidential-election interests go. But, then again, here we are harping about tax hikes that would barely make a dent in the deficit and perfectly legitimate business practices that lead to economic growth for all involved parties (a.k.a., offshoring), so maybe that’s an overstep.

I have to admit, from what I know of her so far, I legitimately like Ann Romney quite a bit — she just seems like a caring, capable, and elegant lady who’s found her center. Granted, as someone who’s already a staunch conservative, my liking of Mrs. Romney has no bearing on my support for her husband, but I can’t imagine her public image at all detracting from Mitt’s chances with voters less rigid than myself (but then again, I also can’t fathom what goes on in the minds of the populist, class-warmongering ilk, so, wash). As we’ve already seen on multiple occasions, Mrs. Romney helps to soften the sometimes-stodgy Mitt up a bit, and BuzzFeed wonders whether she mightn’t be a steady character-shield against the Obama camp’s relentless attacks:

With presidential campaign rhetoric almost exclusively concerned at the moment with issues of character — as corruption, secrecy, and honesty become major themes in both sides’ talking points — the Romney campaign could begin using the candidate’s sympathetic wife as a shield.

In an interview with BuzzFeed about the Obama campaign’s recent assault on Romney’s personal finances, a Romney adviser repeatedly brought up Ann Romney’s name unprompted, arguing that the attacks were aimed at her as well. …

The adviser added, “Nobody’s perfect, but there’s a level of decency that shines through with Gov. Romney and Ann and the family that no one can deny.” …

…[P]olls back up the idea that Ann Romney is popular — at least among those who know she is. Twenty-seven percent of independents give her a “favorable” rating against an “unfavorable” number of only 15% — but the rest say they don’t know her well enough to form an opinion.

First Lady Michelle Obama, meanwhile, enjoys solid across-the-board popularity, and it looks like the Obama campaign is willing to test the theory. She’s been known to be a sometimes reluctant campaigner, but Mrs. Obama recently started touring in a push to convince Americans to first show up at the polls and then vote for her husband with her new “It Takes One” campaign:

The program, which aims to increase voter registration and turnout through grassroots organizing, is part of a broader effort to engage the first lady in the campaign at large – as well as with the people who will determine its outcome. …

There’s no question that, at least according to recent polls, the first lady is a generally well-liked figure. A May Gallup poll showed her with a favorability rating at 66 percent, a good 14 points higher than her husband’s rating in the same poll. Similarly, a June Pew Poll showed her with 64 percent favorability, and both surveys show her favorability rating has not dipped below 60 percent since her husband took office.

Nevertheless, according to Frank Newport, the editor-in-chief of Gallup Polls, it’s tricky to determine exactly how much a first lady can do for the president’s campaign – even if she’s popular.

“It’s very hard to tease out what impact a first lady has in a presidential campaign. People ask the same question about vice presidential candidates: It’s difficult to be able to say that they do or don’t make much of a difference,” according to Newport, who cited a dearth of polling data specific to first ladies.

In an election this close, I’d say it very well might matter if the candidates’ wives can help make their husbands more accessible on a personal and familial level, and I doubt it would be a bad idea to try — especially in the case of the lesser-known Mitt Romney. Who can tell what will end up swaying the minds of those last few voters at the margins?

Comments

If having a nasty, ungrateful, resentful witch as your proxy can help your presidential campaign, then yes, Michelle Obama will be a great asset to the Obama re-election effort.

Cicero43 on July 25, 2012 at 2:44 PM

msupertas on July 25, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Erika, your affinity for Ann Romney is misplaced.

She owns horses.

Didn’t you know that?

catmman on July 25, 2012 at 2:45 PM

msupertas on July 25, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Crap

msupertas on July 25, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Michelle has a better fried-dog recipe.

hillsoftx on July 25, 2012 at 2:46 PM

So, a 150 comment thread about Moochelle being militant, unfriendly, fat, and man-armed? I’m in.

Gingotts on July 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I do not understand the perception of the Obamas as nice people.
By their actions and words they both are petulant, condescending, megalomaniacs. Yet we hear again and again that they both his these stratospheric likability numbers.
Is it Bradley effect, or are people that gullible?

Nathan_OH on July 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Erika, your affinity for Ann Romney is misplaced.

She owns horses.

Didn’t you know that?

catmman on July 25, 2012 at 2:45 PM

If Odoodoo ate dog meat, he’ll certainly eat horse meat. Better hide Trigger.

msupertas on July 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Can the First Wives help their husbands win?

Wouldn’t calling them candidate’s spouses be more accurate?

And yes, it may not be an elective position but a candidate’s spouse matters. John Kerry lost more than a few votes because of Theresa Heinz Kerry. Conversely, Hillary Clinton was helped in her run for the Dem nomination by having Bill campaign for her even though it didn’t matter in the end.

The only thing I don’t get is why Michelle Obama has any popularity at all. She is a coarse, angry black woman who clearly has racist ideas and has wasted untold millions on her vacations and other extravagances at a time when people are hurting financially.

Happy Nomad on July 25, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Gingotts on July 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM

You forgot thunder thighed. But I have to say, your one post pretty much covers it. Thanks.

msupertas on July 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Gingotts on July 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Mooch is big-boned, not fat.

Happy Nomad on July 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Erika, your affinity for Ann Romney is misplaced.

She owns horses.

Didn’t you know that?

catmman on July 25, 2012 at 2:45 PM

One owns horses, the other is married to a horse’s ass.

Six/half dozen.

slickwillie2001 on July 25, 2012 at 2:51 PM

First Lady Michelle Obama, meanwhile, enjoys solid across-the-board popularity,

Yeah, popular like a prison warden.

antipc on July 25, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Happy Nomad on July 25, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Its all good though since she’s proud of her country now…

catmman on July 25, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Is it Bradley effect, or are people that gullible?

Nathan_OH on July 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM

People are that gullible. They barely pay attention to what is going on and have a fascile understanding of the world.

sharrukin on July 25, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I understand that Marie Antoinette was quite popular in her day.

Cicero43 on July 25, 2012 at 2:53 PM

While reading the headline for this story I happened to notice this headline in the Green Room:

Hideous ‘monster’ carcass washes ashore along East River in NYC

Does anyone know what Michelle’s schedule was for today?

Night Owl on July 25, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I do not understand the perception of the Obamas as nice people.
Is it Bradley effect, or are people that gullible?

Nathan_OH on July 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I can’t figure it out either.

Bitter Clinger on July 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Mooch is big-boned, not fat.

Happy Nomad on July 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Doesn’t matter, if you told her to haul azz she’d still have to make two trips.

antipc on July 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Moochelle proves that the spouse, no matter how unpleasant she is, how ill fitting she is for the role of FLOTUS, would not hurt the chance of a candidate being elected.

bayview on July 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM

There is no way there could be a honest comparision between mo and Ann? mo is about, or probably more nasty than bho is! Just listen to her speeches last time bho was running. She had/has the same mindset to crater our nation as bho and is still saying those same things. bho/mo are totally devoid of class, Period. They have turned the wh into a mess with all the people they have had there that in words and song don’t give a flit about the US.

I will take Ann over mo a million times as First Lady!
L

letget on July 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM

…yes!…for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country!…but then, we had a real formal…all THAT for a FLAG moment!

KOOLAID2 on July 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM

sharrukin on July 25, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Thank you for not quoting my typo *grin*

Nathan_OH on July 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Mooch and Bo look like they are good to their kids but the problem is they’re going to make a couple new angry Marxists out of them the longer they have custody.

No problem with that in the Romney family. 5 happy capitalist kids with big trust accounts. Go USA!!

gracie on July 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM

“For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my county”

Yep, Wives can help.

Electrongod on July 25, 2012 at 2:57 PM

As far as Michelle’s popularity, James Brown was always popular in the music world, even in drag.

PJ Emeritus on July 25, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Isn’t it about time for another of their legendary Hawaii two week extravaganzas, or a wondrous trip to Spain for some delightful beach relaxation and shopping, or how about another South American SS Gone Wild soirée?
No? Maybe they could just fly the First Dog on AF2 again.

Or are they actually going to acknowledge that acting like Marie Antoinette could help Romney since it is an election year?

KMC1 on July 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM

KOOLAID2 on July 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I must refresh before posting :)

Electrongod on July 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Well, they must have some impact, we’ve been told for the last 4 years that Michelle is Obama’s “secret weapon”…….with all due respect, I don’t think that means what THEY think that means…h/t Inigo Montoya.

waterytart on July 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Hideous ‘monster’ carcass washes ashore along East River in NYC

Does anyone know what Michelle’s schedule was for today?

Night Owl on July 25, 2012 at 2:54 PM

That’s gonna leave a mark. Ouch!

msupertas on July 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Mooch is big-boned, not fat.

Happy Nomad on July 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Yeah, especially those bones in her rear.

Gingotts on July 25, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Can the First Wives help their husbands win?

…is something like lobster, Kobe beef or any kind of food involved?

KOOLAID2 on July 25, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I wanted to comment on the FLOTUS but the word for Chewbacca that rhymes with rookie is evidently banned on here.

Buttercup on July 25, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I must refresh before posting :)

Electrongod on July 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM

…sometimes we think alike…and you’re quite a few states and waterways away!

KOOLAID2 on July 25, 2012 at 3:03 PM

The fact that The Commie can have a $500 sneaker Commie Wife is all the proof you need that everything about The Commie is irrelevant.

Commies vote for Commies … and no amount of hypocrisy, lies and incompetence will change that.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 25, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Oh yah, and remember Mooch’s “whitey” speech we never did get to see. But we saw her in pictures with Mrs. Farrakhan and Bernadine Dohrn to name a few sweeties out there. Oh and check out her senior thesis at Princeton…they actually graduated her after they read it…and then she goes to law school all to surrender her law license because she didn’t know what to do with it. The one place where i think it’s working for her is beating up fat people.

gracie on July 25, 2012 at 3:05 PM

“It Takes One”

Translation…

“Kapla!”

Seven Percent Solution on July 25, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Choosing a smart, confident, strong, happy, generous woman for a wife, who works hard to help him raise a lovely family says a lot about what a man values in life.

I would be proud to call Ann Romney our First Lady!

wren on July 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Seven Percent Solution on July 25, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Careful…

catmman on July 25, 2012 at 3:10 PM

This is the woman who is finally proud of her country! They had to pull her last time because of all the anti American things she would say. EEKKKKSSSSS!
Ann Romney is such a lady. Would never go on vacation to spain and take 70 friends and bill the tax payer for it.
She would never put her hands on the back of the Queen of England.
She would nix a present to the Queen of Romney’s speeches (of course he is waaaay tooooo smart to ever be stupid enough to do that).
She would never let the bust of Churchill leave the White House. She would never allow singers/actors/comedians in the white house who would swear and curse and use the “f” word.
There is no comparison!

Bambi on July 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM

The Romneys obviously love and respect one another. I noticed this recently in a photograph that brought the Reagans to mind.

Yes, I think a candidate’s wife can be an asset especially someone like Ann. She has many admirable qualities. She is elegant and refined while at the same time warm and personable.

That’s quite a contrast to what currently resides in the WH.

Still, I should hold off on saying anything until the Romneys get back from their trip this week. Any photos of gaudy, short dresses with wind-blown skirts up around her head, hands all over dignitaries, etc., and I’ll have to change my mind. ;)

Cody1991 on July 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Michelle = Medea. Diary of an Angry Black Woman.

NJ Red on July 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I would be proud to call Ann Romney our First Lady!

wren on July 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Don’t the Obamas have a lovely family too?

Pragmatic on July 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I seriously considered voting for John Kerry in 2004 but I didn’t because of his crazy wife. So,,, yes it matters.

This year,,,,,I have to mute the TV whenever an Obama is talking no matter which one. Worse than nails on a chalkboard…… I am sure Mooch wants to get back to her home church so they can get back to hating America through the spoken word. Not just through policy.

flstc on July 25, 2012 at 3:16 PM

A happy, content in who she is, valiant survivor of what was once a terrible devastating disease, mother of some good hardworking kids, clear in her faith, down to earth woman…

Oor, a pompous condescending well-heeled woman who is not above telling all of us how to run our lives, to include what to eat, or drink, who vacations lavishly on our dime, often, spent 20 years attending a church run by a radical very un-Christian so-called Christian minister, was very comfortable being paid handsomely in a program to dissuade the unwashed masses of Chicago from soiling the best hospitals, has no problem at all aborting innocents…

Damn tough choice.

coldwarrior on July 25, 2012 at 3:17 PM

By all means O and OFA should get the first lady out on the road… once she gets warmed up in front of friendly crowds, she’ll go off script and say really quotable stuff tailor-made for RNC and Crossroads ads. And since O’s campaign is intentionally making her a public figure, they won’t be able to complain about it. (But they will anyway of course.)

Marcola on July 25, 2012 at 3:17 PM

bho has drug the two girls in again as he has in the past in a speech! But they ARE OFF limits by everyone else?

L

letget on July 25, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Don’t the Obamas have a lovely family too?

Pragmatic on July 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Lovely children, yes.

Fallon on July 25, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Ann Romney, and I’ve never seen better First Lady material, her problem is she’s getting older (63) and I believe her MS is taking a toll on her. Everyone prefers youth and vitality to age and infirmity. In this shallow culture, that’s what people are going to see. But I think she’s a lady who’s a great asset to Mitt, who’s still head over heels in love with her. Just as in 2008, I think she’s great.

Paul-Cincy on July 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM

letget on July 25, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I cannot fathom supporting the death of one’s own grandchildren no matter how burdensome the circumstance.

Fallon on July 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I bet Michelle Obama could help Ann Romney’s husband win . . . if the Obama campaign would let Michelle off her leash.

AZCoyote on July 25, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Don’t the Obamas have a lovely family too?

Pragmatic on July 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Yes, they do. I give Michelle’s mother a lot of credit for providing a good foundation for young Malia and Sasha while Michelle was at work.

wren on July 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Its all good though since she’s proud of her country now…

catmman on July 25, 2012 at 2:51 PM

We don’t know that. For all we know, it was just that one time, you know, that first time might have been the only time. Either way, if Obama gets voted out in 2012, it’s back to “not being proud of my country” time again. Ah well. Stew in it.

Paul-Cincy on July 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Don’t the Obamas have a lovely family too?

Pragmatic on July 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Lovely children, yes.

Yeah, and I’m sure that they turn out to be lovely adults,too, what with the role models they have as parents.

hawkeye54 on July 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM

First Lady Michelle Obama, meanwhile, enjoys solid across-the-board popularity,

This is so hard to believe considering her extravagance and many vacations, not to mention her angry demeanor. The way she dresses has on numerous occasions been undignified and cheap-looking. One of the things a First Lady needs to do is to look like a lady. She does represent the country after all. Her attempts on being on the cutting edge of fashion usually end up with her falling off on the wrong side. I’m not even bringing up her Chicago shenanigans.

OTOH Ann Romney is a grounded woman who has spent decades giving to her family and to other people. She never comes across as angry or hostile, and it’s impossible to conceive of an instance when she would not be gracious, not only in her attire, but in her demeanor.

INC on July 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I try to remain civil and not poke too much fun, but:

Doesn’t matter, if you told her to haul azz she’d still have to make two trips.

antipc on July 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM

That’s funny right there. I don’t care who you are.

JusDreamin on July 25, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Paul-Cincy on July 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Huh? She doesn’t come across as either aged or infirmed.

INC on July 25, 2012 at 3:27 PM

PJ Emeritus on July 25, 2012 at 2:57 PM

But unlike her, JB actually had talent.

Del Dolemonte on July 25, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I will take Ann over mo a million times as First Lady!
L

letget on July 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I’d take Marie Antoinette over the racist shrew of a FLOTUS we have now.

TXUS on July 25, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Paul-Cincy on July 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM

As Ann Romney heads off to the Olympics this week, I see a lot more vitality than either age or infirmity.

Bravo to Ann Romney for handling the challenges life has dealt her with a tremendous amount of grace and strength! She is inspiring!

wren on July 25, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Don’t the Obamas have a lovely family too?

Phlegmatic on July 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM

wren on July 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM

As long as she’s not passing along any voo-doo techniques.

slickwillie2001 on July 25, 2012 at 3:32 PM

. . . if the Obama campaign would let Michelle off her leash.

Actually they made a deal with her: “Stay on the leash and you keep getting unlimited vacays with transportation provide for you and your entourage at any swank hotel or resort anywhere in the world of your choice, dozens of people to do things for you, hobnobbing with international fawning celebrities, acquiring only the most expensive clothing and accessories, and daily access to dining that most people could only dream about.”

I think that deal is a fair trade for staying on the leash.

hawkeye54 on July 25, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Don’t the Obamas have a lovely family too?

Pragmatic on July 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Leaving the children completely out of the equation; frankly, no.

“For the first time in my life, I’m proud of my country,” (now that my husband is going to get the nomination).

I’d like to get to Hawaii as soon as possible, so I’ll be taking a $eparate flight at taxpayer expense, a few hours before Barack. Oh, and Bo, the family dog, will be flown separately, too.

Say, let’s all go on vacation to Spain at taxpayer expense! Just an intimate travel entourage of 40 of my closest friends…

Bad economy? Looks bad to go on luxurious vacations several times per year at taxpayer expense? Who cares? I want to go.

RRFCL on July 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM

KMC1 on July 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Speaking of which, I stumbled across an Official White House page (which I will have to find the URL for again, as I closed the tab by mistake) showing photos of one of the O’bama 50th state vacations.

The text first haughtily tells us that this is an example of the O’bama White House’s “Total Transparency”, and it then devolves into a slide show that’s mostly about Dear Leader himself.

Also shows the First Dog in his own luxury bedroom. On the human bed, of course.

BTW, one of those trips put the Lie to what O’bama said last week after the theater shooting; he asked what if his daughters had been in that theater?

As others here readily responded in the demolition of that claim that followed, if his daughters had been in that theater they would be accompanied by Secret Service agents armed to the teeth. And Bozo would have never been able to get in the way he did in the first place.

But getting back to that O’bama Hawaiian vacation, on one of those trips O’bama and his family commandeered an entire local theater for a private screening of “Avatar”. Google tried mightily to keep me from finding that out, but I was lucky because I remembered it from when it happened.

Del Dolemonte on July 25, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 25, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Isn’t they just precious?
Kicking out the unwashed masses so they could watch a movie together….. Nice. I guess this will justify Him renting an even bigger place for the next vacation (if he can fit one in, what with 150 games of golf to get in) to keep from inconveniencing people.

Seriously. Send these freeloadering marxists packing folks.

KMC1 on July 25, 2012 at 3:49 PM

And the way our flow of information is getting censored is frankly, scary. Forgot to mention that part.

KMC1 on July 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I had always believed that the wife of the candidate was not really an issue one way or the other, as long as once her husband was elected to office she comported herself with the grace, dignity,dedication and devotion that one expects from the First Lady of the United States of America.

And to that extent…. I still do.

However….the current First Lady has gone out of her way to slap the people of this nation in the face on more than one occasion and in multiple ways.

The statement regarding her failure to feel proud of this nation… until it elected her husband president…was an insult to all Americans and denoted a cynicism and derision for the people of this nation, and this nations’ many accomplishments in the world, that is unacceptable in a First Lady and shamed that office.

Her notorious spending sprees, lavish parties, and ultra luxurious, vacations at tax payer express are another form of that same callous disregard and derision with which she views her fellow citizens. This disregard and derision was compounded by the fact that the nation’s people have been suffering the effects of a major recession with 23 million citizens and legal immigrants either unemployed altogether or acutely underemployed, mass home foreclosures, and wide spread economic pain. Again, an attitude and behavior not befitting the office of First Lady of the nation.

The list of Michelle Obama’s intentional slights and insults to the people of this nation, as well as her failure to appreciate her duties, and position, as First Lady, is long. Too long to list here.

This is why, in this election, I think that the wife of the candidate, and her character, does matter.

I look forward to seeing Ann Romney fulfill the role of First Lady of the United States of America with the same grace, dignity, determination, and devotion to this nation and its people, that she has consistently displayed all of her life.

thatsafactjack on July 25, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Paul-Cincy on July 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I’m confused here. I thought Ann Romney is the woman who has been vigorously campaigning, owns shows and rides horses, is heading to London with her husband for the Olympics, and who was on the front of that jet ski earlier this month when everybody in the media was under the stupid perception that jet skis were elaborate solid gold rarities from the future only available to the fabulously wealthy.

Now who is this doddering old lady I’ve heard about?

Gingotts on July 25, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Don’t the Obamas have a lovely family too?

Pragmatic on July 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Lovely children, yes.

hawkeye54 on July 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM

…wait until the girls tell their children they are not paying for them and all their friends…to go to Mexico or other destinations for their own vacations!

KOOLAID2 on July 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Moow-chelle is such a peachpooch!!!

Just calling them the way they look!

Gunlock Bill on July 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Well, you know what they say. Behind every great man…hmmm…ok… behind every decent man, then.

Cleombrotus on July 25, 2012 at 4:06 PM

thatsafactjack on July 25, 2012 at 3:55 PM

…well!…You hit that nail EVERYTIME with the hammer!…too bad the MSM doesn’t know how to use tools!

KOOLAID2 on July 25, 2012 at 4:08 PM

thatsafactjack on July 25, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Let us not forget the “All that for a damn flag” comment.

Cleombrotus on July 25, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Not to mention the accompanying sneer.

Most endearing, wouldn’t you say?

Cleombrotus on July 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM

“First Lady Michelle Obama, meanwhile, enjoys solid across-the-board popularity…”

hahahahahahahahaha…
hahahahahahahaha…

fabrexe on July 25, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Ann Romney is delightful. Sure can’t hurt.

tree hugging sister on July 25, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I’m actually looking forward to seeing true class and grace being exhibited by BOTH of the Romneys while overseas.
Don’t think I’m alone in feeling that’ll tap a sense of American pride in my heart that has not only been missing, but violently trampled upon, these past 3.5 years.

pambi on July 25, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I understand that Marie Antoinette was quite popular in her day.

Cicero43 on July 25, 2012 at 2:53

And we all know how she ended up :)…

jimver on July 25, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I wish Mitt would do more ads
he and Ann sitting at the table hearing someone’s concerns

this would show his personable warm side
and reinforce Ann’s class

at the same time Obama is doing bitter, angry ads

audiotom on July 25, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Michelle Obama is well liked only because of the gauzy coverage of her by the media.

Her clothes!!! Her arms!!! She has children!!!
And on and on and on and on……

bluealice on July 25, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I guess people are that stupid because I can’t stand her vacationing with my money! I would think that most people with little or no EXTRA money would dislike her for that alone. Let alone telling me how to feed my kids, myself and all the many other things to dislike her for. “Not proud of America” commment is also tops in why she is disliked. Her dress sense is deplorable. I am still embarrased that the First Lady wore cut off denim shorts in public. Talk about no class and no respect for the position she holds. I’ll be glad to get the gracious Anne Romney as First Lady, a class act along the lines of Laura Bush.

1bunny on July 25, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Her clothes!!! Her arms!!! She has children!!!
And on and on and on and on……

bluealice on July 25, 2012 at 5:12 PM

It still amazes me that her arms and the sleeveless clothing showing them off are counted as positives by the media rather than just overlooked like her butt and her scowl. The woman could arm-wrestle a herd of buffalo, if that were at all a viable thing that could be arranged. Not even remotely attractive.

Gingotts on July 25, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Can the First Wives help their husbands win?

Depends on how much they liked the divorce settlement.

/rimshot

Joe Mama on July 25, 2012 at 5:59 PM

‘Cause who doesn’t like being told by a woman with a tuchus the size of a C&O coal car that they need to get off their fat backsides and “get moving”?

Ann Romney, on the other hand, with all due respect, is a shiksa goddess, and I would walk through the fires of purgatory for that woman. The tell-all book that WH staff writes about Michelle Obama is going to be unfit for kids under 13. Book it. Profanity, rudeness and a total sense of entitlement will only be the appetizers for those with the stomach to read it.

smellthecoffee on July 25, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I don’t imagine there’s much influence potential First Ladies have on the vote. People who like Obama tend to like his hateful wife too. No accounting for taste, I guess. lol

The big problem Democrats are having is there’s just nothing to complain about with Ann Romney. She likes horses and they’re good therapy for her MS. That’s about all they’ve got. I’m sure it makes them very sad that she’s not out bullying fat kids.

Murf76 on July 25, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Maybe while they’re in Israel they can look into this.

smellthecoffee on July 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM