What did Chick-fil-A’s boss really say?

posted at 10:20 pm on July 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

I missed this post from Get Religion’s Terry Mattingly last week when I was on vacation, but it’s making the rounds today and now I’m more confused than ever about why Chick-fil-A is suddenly on the cultural radar. Let me walk through this as I understand it; stop me when I get something wrong. Fact one: Chick-fil-A’s owners are outspoken Christians and are widely known to be so. The franchise actually shuts down on Sundays for the Sabbath notwithstanding the lost profits from weekend business. Fact two: Per Dave Weigel, it’s also no secret that Chick-fil-A’s owners oppose gay marriage. The company’s charitable arm has been hosting events along those lines for years, apparently. Just recently, in fact, COO Dan Cathy said, “I think we are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.’ I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think we can try to define what marriage is all about.” And yet, those aren’t the comments that (initially) got Cathy in trouble. Per Mattingly, these are:

The company invests in Christian growth and ministry through its WinShape Foundation (WinShape.com). The name comes from the idea of shaping people to be winners. It began as a college scholarship and expanded to a foster care program, an international ministry, and a conference and retreat center modeled after the Billy Graham Training Center at the Cove.

“That morphed into a marriage program in conjunction with national marriage ministries,” Cathy added.

Some have opposed the company’s support of the traditional family. “Well, guilty as charged,” said Cathy when asked about the company’s position. “We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit. …

“We are very much committed to that,” Cathy emphasized. “We intend to stay the course,” he said. “We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles.”

Turns out he can’t quite share his values everywhere, but lay that aside for now. Simple question: Why did a famously Christian guy delivering a doctrinaire Christian take on marriage result in a sudden “awakening” that Chick-fil-A is a famously Christian company with Christian views? Did people somehow just … not know? Or, as Mattingly suggests, were his “guilty as charged” comments taken out of context in press accounts to make them sound more condemnatory of gays than he intended? (His other comments, about God’s judgment being visited upon America for messing with marriage, are far more condemnatory.) I’m guessing that, contra conventional wisdom, a lot of people actually didn’t know of Chick-fil-A’s Christian roots, if only because it’s exhausting trying to keep track of which companies tilt which way politically and ideologically. For instance, here’s a bit from Dana Milbank’s new piece begging Huckabee not to turn this into some partisan/religious cause:

[N]ow Chick-fil-A seems destined to climb to the top of the left’s boycott list, already crowded by, among others, Wal-Mart, Target, Bayer, Exxon Mobil, Koch Industries, Peabody Energy and United Parcel Service. Conservatives “buy-cott” such enterprises to counteract the boycotts, while observing their own long boycott list, including: AOL, Planet Hollywood, Nike, Southwest Airlines, General Mills, JCPenney, Starwood and Whole Foods.

This may be my RINO roots showing but I honestly didn’t know that we were boycotting any of those companies at the end. And, given how Wal-Mart and Target and those dastardly ol’ Kochs are doing these days, I’m also not sure why anyone bothers with boycotts anymore. I suspect one or two percent of people on one side of the aisle care enough about politics to actually participate in a boycott, another one or two percent on the other side of the aisle care enough to react by engaging in a “buy-cott” to offset the boycott, and the other ~96 percent or so can’t be bothered. Maybe this is the next wave of partisanship, as red/blue media preferences spill over into red/blue retail preferences generally, but I don’t grasp the timing. Why boycott Chick-fil-A now instead of the first time they started doing anti-SSM charitable events?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

theoddmanout on July 24, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Why do you think that these people’s beliefs are disposable? These are strongly held, heartfelt, probably life long beliefs that are biologically substantiated, why are your views more valid?

Cindy Munford on July 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Funny. I am talking about treating people like dirt and screaming faster, faster when they are already working like an eight armed Mexican. It is funny maybe until you experience it.

Southernblogger on July 24, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Then don’t work there. It’s your choice.

ImageSniper on July 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM

No way. Someone took yet another cheap opportunity to proclaim that it’s hateful and anti-gay to affirm traditional marriage?

Say it isn’t so.

J.E. Dyer on July 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Benedict Nelson on July 24, 2012 at 11:52 PM

You worked @ 4th? That’s considered to be the city’s worst store now.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM

It was nice to have a day where almost everyone had off. It was weird to go to the grocery store and have some of the merchandise be off limits on just one day. It was just what we were use to.
Cindy Munford on July 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM

In some of the cities I’ve lived in it was also a zoning law that you couldn’t have an establishment that served liquor within a certain distance of a church. Still applies in some places to schools too.

Deanna on July 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Just when you think NEWSWEEK can’t get more despicable, they post this….

AmeriCuda on July 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM

This is like several months ago when actor Kirk Cameron (who most should know by now is a Christian) was asked on a television show what his views on homosexual marriage or homosexuality were, and he gave the standard Christian response.

Which set off a firestorm of criticism of him.

He later replied (paraphrasing), “Why are people surprised that I, who am a Christian, don’t support homosexuality? Would it not be more noteworthy if I said I am a Bible believing Christian but do support it?”

It’s always funny and strange to me when the media, and many on the left of politics (or I guess that’s the same thing), seem fine with Christians, except for Christians who actually believe in and live by the Bible, its teachings, and its values.

You’ll notice they almost never have a problem with Christians who only pay “lip service” to Christ, His teachings, and the Bible, but people who take it seriously? They pitch a fit.

TigerPaw on July 25, 2012 at 12:03 AM

theoddmanout on July 24, 2012 at 11:58 PM

You’re confusing privileges and rights.

Deanna on July 25, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Deanna on July 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM

In Virginia, the state is the only seller of hard liquor. They were hoping to sell them to make money for the state but I guess that didn’t work out.

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Cindy Munford on July 24, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Good point. Illinois doesn’t have blue laws-so my discomfort could be that I’m not used to them.
Like I said earlier-it really wasn’t that big of a deal.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 24, 2012 at 11:39 PM

The absence of blue laws is about the only thing I can thnk of that is good about Illinois. Here in Hoosiertopia there are no retail alcohol sales on Sundays, although you can purchase drinks in restaurants. Blue laws also extend to motor vehicle sales. (?)

I’m only a couple of miles from the Illinois line and about 15 minutes from the closest Illinois liquor store in the event supplies run low. But our taxes are lower here, so beer and bourbon are significantly cheaper and I am used to stocking up on Saturday if necessary. I haven’t made a Sunday run to Noiserland for booze in years.

novaculus on July 25, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I believe that this conversation is pointless and will lead nowhere, but, what the heck. One major problem is hospital visitation rights. If there is a gay couple, and one of them gets into a bad accident and is transported to the hospital, instead of the gay person’s lover being able to stay with them and have control over their medical decisions, instead the gay person’s lover is considered to be nothing more than a friend in the eyes of the hospital and the law, and has hardly any say or power in their partner’s health.

theoddmanout on July 24, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Why would you consider this conversation pointless? I don’t.

So how does this differ from a heterosexual couple who are just “lovers”?

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I go to movies, and watch actors who a liberal idiots act, I like some of the movies…I watch sports where most of the athletes are liberal idiots…and where I shop, I have no idea what political policies they have, where I eat, the same.
The fact is, unless they are violating some law, I don’t have the time or the energy to track down everyone I don’t agree with and not give them my business…I have a life.
How about the company, whose stock portfolio are invested in someone you don’t agree with…how much pettiness can people put on their radar?

right2bright on July 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Then why is it that most of you never participate in boycotts?

itsnotaboutme on July 24, 2012 at 11:01 PM

With a few documented exceptions, they mostly don’t work.

listens2glenn on July 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM

How do you define “work”?

In the illustration I gave, would it matter to you if it “worked”?

itsnotaboutme on July 24, 2012 at 11:29 PM

In the context I meant it:

Work (verb) definition: To accomplish/achieve/produce a desired outcome or result.

listens2glenn on July 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM

The wife and I ate at Chick-Fi-La tonight.

Big Orange on July 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM

theoddmanout “I love how you conveniently ignore” this question:

Are you denying that Christians who don’t support gay marriage are subjected to verbal abuse and intolerance by leftists?

Flora Duh on July 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Tells me all I needed to know.

Flora Duh on July 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I’m just shocked people still shop at Penny’s and eat at Planet Hollywood. The last time I remember even being in one was 2001. Are Sears still in business? I thought they were deep underwater like Kmart…

di butler on July 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM

The wife and I ate at Chick-Fi-La tonight.

Big Orange on July 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Never had it. Was it good?

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Why would you consider this conversation pointless? I don’t.

So how does this differ from a heterosexual couple who are just “lovers”?

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Because a heterosexual couple, if they want to, have the option of marrying one another and becoming a married couple in the eyes of the law, thus being seen as legally married by hospitals, and being able to have visitation rights. A gay couple, even if they wanted to, can’t legally get married, so there is no possible way for them to be able to get visitation rights in the eyes of the hospital and the law.

theoddmanout on July 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:03 AM

In both Ohio and PA the state has closed or is closing their stores. You can now buy hard liquor as well as wine and beer at supermarkets. A whole lot more convenient. Although PA still has many beer carryout drive-through stores for beer. I kind of thought the drive through idea was kind of odd.

Deanna on July 25, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I’d rather go somewhere to support a business than try to remember to boycott them. I’m going to Chic-Fil-A tomorrow.

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM

A: Baaaaaaaaaaa.

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM

theoddmanout on July 24, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Health Care Power of Attorney and a Living Will gives them the “rights” they seek. Even if you’re related to the patient, you need this.

Vince on July 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM

ImageSniper on July 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I don’t work there anymore which you would get if you were literate.I am not anti-Wal-Mart but my store sucked at the way they were treating employees. You can stand there having some azzhole screaming at everybody instead of responsible parties + much more if you want. You obviously are just an idiot commenting on something you know zero about.

Southernblogger on July 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Tells me all I needed to know.

Flora Duh on July 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Are you talking about Christians who are accepting of homosexuals but disagree with gay marriage, or are you talking about Christians who are against both gay marriage and gays in general? Because there is a difference. Most of the Christians who get hated on are Christians who go around shouting things like gays are pedophiles, homosexuality is a mental disease, gays are perverts, being gay is a choice, gays recruit children, all that sort of nonsense. Are you talking about those types of Christians, or Christians who just disagree with gay marriage and that’s it?

theoddmanout on July 25, 2012 at 12:10 AM

theoddmanout on July 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM

If they want visitation they can get a LEGAL document made-up that will allow that. MARRIAGE is man+woman. Homosexuals can get civil unions.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 25, 2012 at 12:11 AM

theoddmanout on July 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Can you get those “rights” through a living will?

WryTrvllr on July 25, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Deanna on July 25, 2012 at 12:08 AM

LOL! They have stores call Brew Thru in N.C. and you are right, it does seem to be a bit of a mixed message. In Florida you can buy hard liquor in the grocery store but they area is separate. There are also specialty stores. I have no idea what the rules are, the last liquor, I bought was to make Bourbon Chicken.

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM

So CHick-fil-A has to provide free contraceptive, abortion and sterilization to its employees too…

Electrongod on July 24, 2012 at 10:28 PM

No waiver for you! – the Healthcare Nazi

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM

theoddmanout on July 24, 2012 at 11:58 PM

You do realize that there is such thing as a “medical power of attorney” right?

gophergirl on July 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM

theoddmanout on July 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Any homosexual male can marry a female and any homosexual female can marry a male (they have the same exact rights as heterosexuals). In order for a male to marry a male or female to marry a female, you would need to re-define the definition of marriage and, quite frankly, when it’s put to a vote, Americans do not want to re-define marriage.

Thoughts?

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:13 AM

There is a Chick-fil-A on “Restaurant Row” near my work with every fast food you can think of including McD’s and it is the only one of them that routinely has rent-a-cops directing traffic in and out from 11ish until 1 or 2. Been that way for 3-4 years.

These boycots (we’re supposed to be boycotting Starbucks if you support this chain) are just peeing in the ocean.

Marcus on July 25, 2012 at 12:14 AM

theoddmanout on July 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Wrong. Give me any two people – homosexual, normal, S&M freaks, whatever, and have them to sign power of attorney over one to the other for whatever purpose(s). Then it’s a done, legal valid deal.

whatcat on July 25, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Southernblogger on July 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM

You done whining?

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Not that I don’t enjoy AP, but is he planning on subjecting us to all the posts he missed while sucking down boilermakers with his toes in the sand?

No thank you.

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 12:15 AM

theoddmanout on July 24, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Wwell if they are in that serious relationship they should have a power of attorney any way. A friend of mine and her live-in male partner had this done for both them and their families. So when she was hospitalized, even his sister could vist her in ICU.

Deanna on July 25, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Never had it. Was it good?

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I noticed my mistake as soon as I posted it….hehe….yes it was good!

Big Orange on July 25, 2012 at 12:16 AM

You do realize that there is such thing as a “medical power of attorney” right?
gophergirl on July 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM

You beat me to it. But, yeah, one person can get as entangled with another as much as s/he chooses by giving POA to another person for any number of areas.

whatcat on July 25, 2012 at 12:17 AM

@ theoddmanout
Gay Marriage Explained

TigerPaw on July 25, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Southernblogger on July 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I hope that was a long time ago or a very limited experience. I read an article by a journalist that got hired by Wal-Mart. It took him a long time to get in but he felt that they had a great responsibility sharing system that would prove very valuable to people that worked there. I would imagine that did not include the loading dock.

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:18 AM

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Also, why have I heard more about APs vacay than all of JugEars put together?

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 12:19 AM

whatcat on July 25, 2012 at 12:17 AM

It’s the smart thing to do with anyone you are close to – family, sibling, significant other.

gophergirl on July 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM

There is no clear cut answer, but I define gay rights as making sure that homosexuals are viewed as equal to heterosexuals in the eyes of the law.

theoddmanout on July 24, 2012 at 11:43 PM

You are viewing those rights through a very narrow prism–sexual preference. Truly, walking down the street, do you view people by what you perceive their sexual identity to be? More than likely not. You view their attire, their hair, their handbag, etc–businessperson, shopgirl, factory worker, would be how you might view someone. We all have the same rights; it is when someone throws sexual preference into the mix that things become murky. Gay rights? What about hetero rights for people who chose to live together without benefit of marriage? What is the difference then? No medical insurance, no hospital rights vis a vis medical decisions, etc. so, based on your narrow prism, the homosexual couple should have those rights by virtue of being homosexual , while the heterosexual couple would not enjoy the same rights by virtue of being heterosexual. ’tis indeed a very slippery slope.

herm2416 on July 25, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I’m with you on that. I buy it when I know I’m having visitors who may want a drink. I worked at malls for quites a few years and once in a while I would see a state store in the mall. One of them the state store was a Dairy Queen and a Victoria’s Secret. The family would be at the mall, Dad would go to the state store, the kids would go to the Dairy Queen, and Mom would head for VS. Then they’d meet back up and go home.

Deanna on July 25, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Southernblogger on July 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM

{sideways nod} Sexual Harassment victim…

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Thoughts?

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:13 AM

The definition of “marriage” has been changed dozens of times throughout the history of mankind, and marriage has existed thousands of years before Christianity even existed.

Up until a few decades ago, the definition of marriage was that any two people of the opposite gender and same race could get married.

Before that, only two people of the opposite gender, same race, and same social class could get married-i.e., a poor white man could not marry a rich white woman.

Before that, two families who were rich and/or powerful would force their children to marry one another so that both families could combine their wealth, influence, and assets.

And before that, marriage was nothing more than an economic bargaining system, where families would force their sons or daughters to marry someone in exchange for money and/or goods such as chickens, cows, sheep, etc.

To claim that marriage is owned by Christians and Christianity is absurd, as is the notion that marriage has had the same definition for thousands of years.

theoddmanout on July 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM

theoddmanout on July 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Nonsense. First, your problem is with hospitals. Second, a person holding the health care power of attorney for another cannot be prevented from having access to the grantor of the power. Third, domestic partnerships or civil unions serve these purposes as well, but are unpopular with many in the gay community.

That latter suggests that the real issue isn’t with legal rights, but with using legal status to achieve social status and acceptance. It won’t work, and the vile tactics of many gay marriage supporters are divisive and simply harden hearts.

I am profoundly agnostic. My opposition to gay marriage is not based in any moral judgement or religious belief. I simply believe that heterosexual marriage is one of the essential foundations of society, and I oppose tinkering with it in ways that will open the door to polygymy, group marriage, and who knows what else. And don’t tell me it won’t, because it will.

I am sick and @&$$*#^^! tired of being called a bigot simply because I won’t climb on board the gay marriage express. It is a damn lie and an insult.

novaculus on July 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Sounds like Mrs socalcon had the racist in bed…

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 12:25 AM

novaculus on July 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Well done!

herm2416 on July 25, 2012 at 12:25 AM

theoddmanout on July 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Christian NOTHING. My JEWISH parents didn’t support same-sex marriage.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:15 AM

You done opining about tuff you don’t have a clue about??

Southernblogger on July 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM

gophergirl on July 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Yup. It’s also helpful if a person is laid up for awhile but needs to take care of some personal business that requires his attn.

whatcat on July 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Jeez, I love Chick-fil-A.
Man, they could turn into Satan Worshippers and I’d still probably hafta have those delicious, crispy little nuggets. I alternate between dipping’ them in Polynesian Sauce and Honey Mustard Sauce. Mmm mmm mmm.
I’d bet that Jesus himself loves those and would be in line with me. Of course, he’d wear a disguise or something if they went to rooting for the other team.

justltl on July 25, 2012 at 12:29 AM

theoddmanout on July 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM

But you just said it did. None of the examples you gave changed its definition, just how some people applied it. Geez I hate it when people are obtuse.

Deanna on July 25, 2012 at 12:29 AM

theoddmanout on July 25, 2012 at 12:10 AM

You’ve obviously forgotten what the topic of this thread is about.

You want to see how tolerant the left is, Google “Chik-Fil-A Hate” and see what you come up with.

Here’s a few examples:

@JoeMyGod: @DLoesch Make sure you order the Andrew Breitbart Double-Rage Sandwich. Comes with extra assholery!

@erincorrie: @DLoesch I hope ya’ll get food poisoning!

@avilaSF: @DLoesch If you go in with a white hood and a burning cross you’ll get free nuggets!!!

@KimSmythe2: @DLoesch I encourage you to eat that artery clogging food 3 meals a day / 7 days a week for the rest of your life.

@JessieHer

Because youre a douche! RT @DLoesch I’m going to buy Chik-Fil-A for the #DLRS staff on Wednesday.

And now if you’ll excuse me, I have to be awake at 4 a.m. so I’m calling it a night.

Flora Duh on July 25, 2012 at 12:30 AM

theoddmanout on July 25, 2012 at 12:10 AM

You’ve obviously forgotten what the topic of this thread is about.

Here’s a few examples:

@JoeMyGod: @DLoesch Make sure you order the Andrew Breitbart Double-Rage Sandwich. Comes with extra as*holery!

@erincorrie: @DLoesch I hope ya’ll get food poisoning!

@JessieHer

Because youre a do*che! RT @DLoesch I’m going to buy Chik-Fil-A for the #DLRS staff on Wednesday.

Flora Duh on July 25, 2012 at 12:31 AM

novaculus on July 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Yay!!!

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:32 AM

gophergirl on July 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM

whatcat on July 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM

And just about every health professional ive seen over the past five years has advised that the adults in the family execute one. It’s ridiculous to think they’ve not offered the gay lesbian tricyclist the same sound advice. Suppose it’s a conspiracy orchestrated by the AMA?

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Should have read…”In one of them the state store was between a Dairy Queen and a Victoria’s Secret.”
Time to quit for the night.

Deanna on July 25, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Eat more chickins ™

No one affords steak these days.

They do it right and they have ‘coleslaw’.
Oh, my.

The rest of this is interfering with commerce.
Good product, good patrons.

GTFO.

Yes, I do love cows, too. Burnt to a crisp, medium, or rare.
They did _not_ give their lives in vain.

Food chain. Deal with it.
I’d bet I eat more veggies than your average ‘disgusted’ type.

Anti-Bush for that alone. Broccoli.
Really? Good stuff.

People do hate over food. Have at it.

That’s funny turpentine right there….

mickytx on July 25, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I don’t care what the owners’ political views are, them waffle fries are magical.

Spliff Menendez on July 25, 2012 at 12:34 AM

theoddmanout on July 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Gay Marriage Explained

TigerPaw on July 25, 2012 at 12:34 AM

theoddmanout on July 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM

1. I never mentioned Christianity nor did I mention that marriage is owned by Christians.
2. I never “notioned” that marriage has had the same definition for thousands of years.

Are you copying and pasting homosexual activist talking points?

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:34 AM

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Um, yeah, I don’t have one, but it’s my own stupid fault. I won’t cry about it like those ‘prideful’ LGBT- LMNOPs.

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Not that long ago and not limited. I have talked to many former and current associates with same replies. The stupid idiot ImageSniper does not realize that free market does not mean that all companies are pure and golden. I am sure there are fine Wal-Mart stores and management, but it is a big corporation that is all bottom line. A lot of old-timers get good pay and benefits that have been phased out now, and they will nickel and dime you to death to get full-time production while keeping you part-time.

Southernblogger on July 25, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Sounds like Mrs socalcon had the racist in bed…

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 12:25 AM

HAHAHA…I think I tinkled a little on that one…..

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:36 AM

novaculus on July 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I am personally driven crazy at the thought of yet another political demographic who wants their ass kissed because of who they “love”.

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Flora Duh on July 25, 2012 at 12:31 AM

G’night Flora. Sleep well, my friend.

novaculus on July 25, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Southernblogger on July 25, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I get 30+ hours a week, holiday pay-even if I don’t work the day but work my schedule before/after-and my last bonus was $200+. I got hired in May 2011.
Texas doesn’t have a state income tax-which makes it even better.
I honestly consider Walmart to be the best employer that I’ve had ever.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 25, 2012 at 12:41 AM

You done opining about tuff you don’t have a clue about??

Southernblogger on July 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM

8 armed Mexicans yelling ‘faster, faster’?

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:41 AM

blockquote>Are you copying and pasting homosexual activist talking points?

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Did you notice in the examples all the marriages are between a man and a woman? Only how the marriages were arranged or established has changed. I don’t think theoddmanout meant that… but oops.. it is what it is and was. The definition hasn’t changed only the way it was applied.

Deanna on July 25, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Must be a weekday with a ‘y’ in it.

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Southernblogger on July 25, 2012 at 12:36 AM

It’s the bottom line for most businesses but I don’t understand not wanting to have happy employees because in the end, I think it is good for the profit margin. I have worked at a couple of places where a little power given to the wrong person did not produce anything good. While it is true that you don’t have to work there, it’s probably a good idea to let people up the ladder know what is going on as you walk out the door.

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:43 AM

mickytx on July 25, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I see the train from Crazy Town has arrived.

novaculus on July 25, 2012 at 12:43 AM

theoddmanout on July 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Christian NOTHING. My JEWISH parents didn’t support same-sex marriage.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I am not particularly religious at all but I don’t support gay marriage. There are ample legal reasons not to support it even without bringing up religious reasons..

melle1228 on July 25, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Memo to self: begin hating annoyinglittletwerp…

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Exacty! You want to be just like everyone else while always reminding people that you are different. This is an issue for any profession victim group..

melle1228 on July 25, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Southernblogger on July 25, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Resorting to ad hominem attacks? Hey, do me a favor and cry me a river

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:46 AM

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Why?

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:47 AM

oh and wb ap
always pulling on the strings of the ‘yutes’-ful movement.

We goin’ ta win this thing?

Mitt is getting it. I never thought, but he is.
Wouldn’t it be ‘really cool’ for a president to set
a standard that we all may remember?

Mitt’s recent speeches have that. Not finding it in the media, natch,
but it shakes down into the foundation. Yep, everybody knows how
great this country, and it’s citizens are.

Fact.
Bishop! Last! Whatever.

I’ll say only this ‘loathe’.

mickytx on July 25, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Now, if I discovered that Chick-fil-A was supporting the Odumbo regime, it would be a different story.
I’d drop ‘em like a hot waffle fry.
I have my standards, you know.

justltl on July 25, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I support the hippie boycott of Walmart and hope it goes on forever.

It means less commie wannabes at the nearby Wally when I go by there.

Moesart on July 25, 2012 at 12:48 AM

The worst part about this story is the illegal way that the Boston mayor wants to keep Chik-fil-A out of Boston. Here you have a government official punishing a corporation/individuals for their opposition to gay marriage. Fascism dressed up in rainbow chaps..

melle1228 on July 25, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:43 AM

\

One more thing…the idea that a for-profit corporation’s focus should be on your happiness is absolutely absurd. I’m pretty sure the people up the ladder, who worked WITHOUT complaining to get there, could care less about a self-absorbed employee.

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:49 AM

novaculus on July 25, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Would that be considered an Epic Haiku?

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:49 AM

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Do yourself a favor and STFU about stuff you have no clue about.

Southernblogger on July 25, 2012 at 12:50 AM

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Two things:
1) it is not difficult to imagine Southernblogger’s employment opportunities are limited…

2) ‘stupid idiot’ may not be ad hominem, merely the only adjective and noun Southernblogger’s familiar with.

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Do yourself a favor and STFU about stuff you have no clue about.

Southernblogger on July 25, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Hahaha…

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:52 AM

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:49 AM

That would be true if all complaints were due to self absorption. While I agree with you that you don’t have to work there and shouldn’t if you are unhappy, it doesn’t hurt to let people know why they are losing an employee. If they don’t care, they don’t care and if training and retaining new employees is a good use of time and money, so be it.

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Would that be considered an Epic Haiku?

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Heh. How many syllables in an epic Haiku? In any case, I can’t decipher it. I knew I should have kept my Little Orphan
Annie Secret Decoder Ring.

novaculus on July 25, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Less of this would be better:

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 12:55 AM

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:49 AM

May I ask why Southernblogger’s antidote is an object of your derision?

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:53 AM

There is no justification for whining. Period.

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:57 AM

May I ask why Southernblogger’s anECDOTE is an object of your derision?

FIFY

socalcon on July 25, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Yes, it is bottom line for most businesses, but as you say employee satisfaction does matter to that bottom line and when you walk into the local Wal-Mart as a customer and are treated as non-existent at worse and as a PIA at best because people are trying to complete their tasks in the time allotted it is not a good thing. Wal-Mart is fairly arrogant because price counts for more ppl than service, but nothing lasts forever.

Southernblogger on July 25, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:53 AM

In my store quite a few of the managers-upper-are of Hispanic ancestry. My old AM openly favored Hispanic associates-but my new AM-also Tex-Hispanic-really likes the work I do and as a result goes out of her way for me. My department manager and the Store manager are also Tex-Hispanic…and they’re both terrific. Before I was given a formal offer I let Wally’s know that I had AS and that if they didn’t want to hire me I’d be fine-because I didn’t want to be a token. They thanked me for my honesty…and offered me a job anyway. As an Aspie I have a few quirks-such as my…tweeking of the dress code-and for the most part management has allowed me to be me…because I’m a friendly, hard worker who delivers for them.
I REALLY like working for Walmart.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 25, 2012 at 1:03 AM

May I ask why Southernblogger’s antidote is an object of your derision?

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Because ImageSniper has the IQ of a rotten tomato and thinks that a problem with Wal-Mart is an attack on capitalism or something. On the plus side, it keeps him from playing with matches.

Southernblogger on July 25, 2012 at 1:03 AM

ImageSniper on July 25, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Interesting interpretation, did you pick that up at Dale Carnegie?

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Hmm…

Freedom of religion.

Freedom of speech.

Freedom of association.

How… American.

I don’t the Chic-fil-A’s coming out the loser on this one. (no pun intended)

CPT. Charles on July 25, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I went to go eat Chick-fil-a for dinner tonight with the daughter. Didn’t go through drivethru as it was 12 cars long. Went inside and had to wait for a few minutes to sit once we got our meals. Guess blue Palm Beach County didn’t hear about this gay marriage issue.

LadyGator88 on July 25, 2012 at 1:05 AM