Bloomberg tells cops to go on strike for expanded gun-control laws

posted at 12:01 pm on July 24, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Every once in a while, politicians provide examples of cluelessness so compelling that it’s incumbent on us to point it out. Last night, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg went on CNN’s Piers Morgan show to discuss the need for expanded gun control in the wake of the massacre in Aurora, Colorado last week. Bloomberg suggested that police across the country go on strike to demand greater gun control legislation (via NewsAlert):

“I don’t understand why police officers across this country don’t stand up collectively and say we’re going to go on strike, we’re not going to protect you unless you, the public, through your legislature, do what’s required to keep us safe,’’ he told CNN’s Piers Morgan.

“Police officers want to go home to their families. And we’re doing everything we can to make their job more difficult, but more importantly, more dangerous, by leaving guns in the hands of people who shouldn’t have them and letting people who have those guns buy things like armor piercing bullets.’’

Where to start with this nonsensical idea?  First, we have laws in most jurisdictions that prevent first responders such as police and fire agencies from going on strike at all, because of the public safety consequences.  Bloomberg is literally calling for anarchy in the streets as a way to extort unconstitutional infringements on liberty — by the police.

Perhaps Bloomberg missed a couple of civics lessons in school (which would explain more than a few of his initiatives), but police don’t get to write their own laws and impose them by force on the populace.  Neither do they get to decide whether and when they will enforce the law or let criminals run rampant in order to terrorize our communities into complying with their idea of what the law  should be.  In America, the people create the law, and the police uphold and enforce it.  If individual police officers don’t like the law, they can work through the democratic process to change those laws, or they can find another line of work.

Finally, though, Bloomberg’s proposal would only reinforce the truth that citizens have to defend themselves from crime.  Only in rare cases do police directly “protect” a citizen or keep a crime from occurring.  They respond to crimes in progress or crimes already committed in order to investigate and arrest those suspected of committing crimes.  One key reason for the Second Amendment is to prevent the need for the kind of police state necessary to protect people who refuse to defend themselves properly.  The founders understood that the local constabulary could hardly be expected to prevent thugs, ruffians, thieves, and murderers from committing crimes in the very moment, and knew that an armed citizen would at least have the ability to defend himself.  If police around the nation walked out on strike, that truth would suddenly become acutely apparent — and people would demand access to firearms to properly defend themselves, and not just during the strike, either.

We’ve seen a lot of foolish commentary in the wake of the Aurora shooting, but this may be the most irresponsible yet — and from an official in high office, no less.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

and people wanted him to run for president…. ew

Drunk Report on July 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Such an odd little “man”!

jake-the-goose on July 24, 2012 at 12:04 PM

This guy has taken a wrong turn into Crazytown.

The police chief of our suburb organizes CHL classes for the local housewives. They should all do this.

juliesa on July 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM

If the cops go on strike gun sales will skyrocket. The NRA thanks you.

meci on July 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM

yeah a good, solid Republican….thank God we have these New England GOPers to “save our party’s soul”……

harlekwin15 on July 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Now that seems like grounds for impeachment.

dczombie on July 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM

He sounds like the real Joker.

cartooner on July 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM

How did this guy make his money? How did he do it? I don’t understand how someone so clueless could become a billionaire.

oldroy on July 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I’ll say it again: more dangerous than Barack Obama. Richer, better resume, and often talked about for president.

MadisonConservative on July 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Is this little man the Mayor for life now..?

d1carter on July 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM

The reason why our founders wanted us armed…because of politicians like him.

right2bright on July 24, 2012 at 12:07 PM

How would Mark Steyn begin to parody this? Bloomberg has proven to be his own best parodist.

Drained Brain on July 24, 2012 at 12:07 PM

And some people have suggested this circus clown for the GOP VP slot? LOL

Hummer53 on July 24, 2012 at 12:07 PM

“…the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.” -Daniel 4:17

Akzed on July 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Just another low-life obamaturd.

Pork-Chop on July 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM

MadisonConservative on July 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I didn’t think it was possible to find a larger idiot than Obama, but we clearly have on on our hands in Doucheberg.

Kataklysmic on July 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I assume he also includes mayoral body guards in that call for strike, no?

BobMbx on July 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Stunning. Just stunning.

BKeyser on July 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Why doesn’t Bloomberg just go ahead and say the police should go around roughing people up until they get more gun country laws?

pedestrian on July 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Lets start with his security detail going on strike. I’ll bet this miserable little man wouldn’t venture outside with out them.

meci on July 24, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Translation: Nanny puts on Guy Fawkes mask

faraway on July 24, 2012 at 12:10 PM

MadisonConservative on July 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM

You are so right about this.

Big Orange on July 24, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Wow. Surely that would make people stop buying guns and utilizing their Second Amendment rights, knowing police weren’t on the job. /

I can’t stand this guy. He’s the epitome of the liberal ‘I’m your better, and I know what’s better for you’ mentality they all seem infused with.

changer1701 on July 24, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Allow a lot more upstanding citizens to carry firearms and the police can be sent home.

Have non-sworn individuals take down the crime details later, after the citizens take care of business. Faster CCW permitting of upstanding citizens would help.

“This post identical to comment in duplicate Headline posting.”

NaCly dog on July 24, 2012 at 12:10 PM

GADS, I thought bho was nuts, bloomberg almost(I said almost) makes bho look sane?
L

letget on July 24, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Bloomberg tells cops to go on strike for expanded gun-control laws

Yeah, there’s another bright idea. Lot’s of folks are gonna get killed when the cops are too busy manning picket lines.

coldwarrior on July 24, 2012 at 12:11 PM

The Problem For Democrats Is The Gun Lobby Is The Majority Of Americans
…..Charles Krauthammer

In Washington State there was a “Common Sense” Gun Control initiative (Initiative 676) that was voted on. (Washington is a Deep Blue State!)

The Initiative was on the General Ballot, yet there were over 100,000 ballots cast with nothing other than a NO on I 676 voted for.

The final count on Initiative 676, the so-called “Handgun Safety Act” in Washington state, was:

FOR 496,633 29.4%
AGAINST 1,193,720 70.6%

The NO vote carried EVERY county in the state, even King County (56.7% NO), the most heavily populated, urbanized county in the state. Only one county east of the Cascades voted below 80% against the initiative (Whitman, at 78%). Even largely urban Spokane County voted 83.2% against. Only four counties west of the Cascades voted below 70% (San Juan, 54.9%, King 56.7%, Clark 65.8% and Clallam 67.5%).

You won’t hear the I-676 vote mentioned in the national media for one reason: it refutes the politically correct myth that “the people want more gun control.” As in Massachusetts in 1976 and California in 1982, Washington’s electorate rejected this gun control measure overwhelmingly.

Interestingly, before the election I-676 was described as a moderate, simple gun safety measure. After the election, and the surprising (to them) turnaround vote, the few media pundits who mentioned it at all excused its defeat by calling it a “harsh gun control law.”

Despite whining about “the NRA buying the election” and “lying to the people,” in fact the only lies were by I-676 proponents. Their own speakers guide instructed activists to “avoid getting bogged down in details,” “stress concept over content,” and “avoid the truth where it doesn’t support your argument.”

The NRA, who provided 2/3 of the $3.3 million collected to defeat I-676, spent about $28 per member in Washington, as opposed to $127 per member by Washington Ceasefire, the state’s Handgun Control affiliate.

Billed as a “grassroots movement,” I-676 proponents had a contributor list of about 1,000 individuals. 90+% of their money came from within a 20 mile radius of Seattle. WeCARE (Washington Citizens Against Regulatory Excess), the PAC formed to oppose the initiative, had a contributor list of more than 11,000. Who had the grassroots movement?

Law enforcement opposition to I-676 played a critical role in the election. While I-676 proponents claimed to have l/e support (1 sheriff and 6-7 police chiefs), 33 county sheriffs came out in opposition to the initiative, and more than 7,500 of the state’s 9,000 police officers opposed it as well.

The pro-I-676 side bragged about their endorsement by the Washington State Medical Association, but declined to mention that WeCARE was not even permitted to make its case to the WSMA (I guess they feel 1st Amendment rights are as subject to restriction as 2nd Amendment). If you examine the number of physicians and other medical professionals listed with the state’s Public Disclosure Commission as contributing for/against I-676, you will see that WeCARE reported more than twice as many doctors and health professionals than Washington Citizens for Handgun Safety (Washington Ceasefire’s cover name for the election). (PDC data is available from file 06.txt at http://www.washington.edu/pdc)

jaydee_007 on July 24, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Next time a New Yorker talks about how sophisticated they are in New York, just say Bloomberg. This guy makes imbeciles glad he’s not on their team.

RedCrow on July 24, 2012 at 12:11 PM

OK, good. That will help cities balance their budgets, when they don’t have to pay police salaries.

In the mean time, I’ll be responsible for my own protection (just as I am now). Too bad Bloombergs serfs don’t have the basic human civil right of self defense, so the criminal element, unleashed, will kill them.

Of course, Bloombergs praetorian guard will be ‘exempt’ from the strike. Or he will hire private security (which, knowing how politics work in NYC, will have the nearly impossible to get concealed carry permit, and probably fully automatic machine pistols) and be safe in his castles.

HBowmanMD on July 24, 2012 at 12:11 PM

This is the same little rich man that I read has had no less than 3 sexual harrassment complaints filed against him by different women. He’s a groper.

gracie on July 24, 2012 at 12:11 PM

…says the man standing behind three armed bodyguards.

Meric1837 on July 24, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Somebody call in Batman to protect Gotham!!!

Steve Z on July 24, 2012 at 12:12 PM

If all the 45,000 NYC police go on strike, I hope the first home raided by thugs is Gracie Mansion. By the thousands. With Bloomberg trapped there.

Liam on July 24, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Our cities would save a fortune eliminating unionist cops with armed citizens.

oceansidecon on July 24, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I assume he also includes mayoral body guards in that call for strike, no?

BobMbx on July 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Just what I was thinking. You beat me to it. I was wondering if Bloomy would disarm his own security detail. I’m thinking not.

Bitter Clinger on July 24, 2012 at 12:12 PM

changer1701 on July 24, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Right. Except, you forgot the part about how all of their ideas are complete turds.

RedCrow on July 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Poster child for every idiot who rails about the need for the GOP Big Tent!

search4truth on July 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM

You elected him New York City! Now don’t you all feel safe?

As we used to say at the PD, “When seconds count, hopefully we’ll be only minutes away. But sometimes it takes even longer.”

GarandFan on July 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Bloomie: “Let them rape you. Socialism is more more important. Forward”

faraway on July 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Oh…it just hit me…

Let them go on strike. Then fire everyone of them. Cities and counties would save billions each year by not having to deal with unionized cops any longer. And when the populace is faced again in the future with allowing cops to “organize”, the answer will be “NFW”.

What to do in the mean time? Gird your loins. Its your community. Its up to you to keep it safe. Any LEO who entertains this idea doesn’t deserve to be paid by me….or you.

BobMbx on July 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Even if I live to be a billion years old, I won’t be able to get my mind around this.

PopsRacer on July 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Proof that you don’t have to be all that smart to be rich.

aniptofar on July 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM

There certainly is some cluelessness going on here, but there is the underlying reality that Bloomberg is quite comfortable with fascist solutions. Thus the reason why something like this so easily leaves his mouth.

NotCoach on July 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Gotham needs Batman, not Bloomberg

thebrokenrattle on July 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ, bastard!

Schadenfreude on July 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM

“…by leaving guns in the hands of people who shouldn’t have them and letting people who have those guns buy things like armor piercing bullets.’’

This kind of idiotic statement drives me CRAZY!! And yet, politicians use it all the time to advocate for gun control. And I’m not even a gun owner, but I still understand the Second Amendment.

Hey, Mayor Bloomypants! The “people who shouldn’t have them” aren’t the people impacted by gun control laws!! The “people who shouldn’t have them” typically get their guns illegaly anyways! So how is further restricting the legal sale of guns going to stop people who get guns illegally?!? Guess what, Mayor D*ckwad! The people who get guns illegally now to commit crimes with, are still going to get guns illegally regardless of how you change the laws! Or do you think they’ll stop buying illegal guns to commit illegal acts because how you’ve made it more illegal than it was before?

ARGH! How does this idiot get elected??

gravityman on July 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM

This guy has taken a wrong turn into Crazytown.

juliesa on July 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Most rank and file cops aren’t fond of gun control. It’s mostly police chiefs and associated politicians.
On another note, yes, Noo York is a very big city but it IS a city and this dumbass is only a mayor. I can only guess he’s an example of the New York City mindset which is served by the Times which makes me wonder why anyone outside of that bubble would think anything in the NY Times is worth reading…?

cartooner on July 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM

The 2nd Amendment is not just a check against federal tyranny, but also civil disorder, and organized injustice of whatever unforeseeable sorts, not to mention also personal protection against assault and robbery. And home invasions by brutal thugs are rare when they don’t know whether the occupants may have guns. Guns are the great equalizer for women, the elderly, the disabled, or for anyone facing violent criminals.

anotherJoe on July 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM

No Labels and no clues. Next up:

Denny’s employees should go on strike against fattening bacon!

U.S. Postal employees should go on strike against e-mail spam!

The Chewbacca Defense on July 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Glad I live in Texas

workingclass artist on July 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Marxism defined…

First, they take away your guns (NYC).

Then, they threaten to take away your cops (to get their way).

faraway on July 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Are we each going to assigned a police officer? How about just a city block? How about a mile? Does Bloomberg believe that the police have super hero powers?

Cindy Munford on July 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM

The police don’t protect you from crime unless you live with one, they investigate crimes after the fact which means if you don’t protect yourself from criminals the police will be there to draw the chalk line around your body and take photographs for their investigation.

doublee on July 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM

We have to pass the bill to see waht is in it and you didn’t build that are two of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard in politics and this is the 3rd.All three are from democrats.

docflash on July 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM

To think this guy used to be considered a Republican. Just astonishing.

If the RNC ever puts this guy on a ticket, I will never vote Republican again.

MadisonConservative on July 24, 2012 at 12:19 PM

That’s a great idea, and fireman can go on strike until they have better equipment…and doctors and nurses, don’t show up for work unless you have better pens to write with.
Yeah, let the thieves, gangsters, own the streets, let a few woman get raped, you’ll prove it to them guns don’t belong in citizens hands.

right2bright on July 24, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Glad I live in Texas

workingclass artist on July 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Wish I do.

Liam on July 24, 2012 at 12:19 PM

First thing I will do if the police go on strike is to go buy a gun and ammunition.

E. Kiefaber on July 24, 2012 at 12:20 PM

E-mail floater

Why Carry a Gun?

My old grandpa said to me ‘Son, there comes a time in every man’s life when he stops bustin’ knuckles and starts bustin’ caps and
usually it’s when he becomes too old to take an ass whoopin.’

I don’t carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don’t carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I hate the government.
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m angry.
I carry a gun so that I don’t have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don’t carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m a cowboy.
I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don’t carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate..

I don’t carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police protection is an oxymoron.
Free citizens must protect themselves.
Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I’m too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin’…..author unknown (but obviously brilliant)

The purpose of fighting is to win.
There is no possible victory in defense.
The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either.
The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!
SWITZERLAND’S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.
SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!

IT’S A NO BRAINER!
DON’T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAX DOLLARS IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.

Schadenfreude on July 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Marxism defined…

First, they take away your guns (NYC).

Then, they threaten to take away your cops (to get their way).

faraway on July 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM

And he’s one of those reasonable, respectable, moderate RINOs we’re all supposed to love and fawn over. No one’s safe.

yhxqqsn on July 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Many wish Bloombat would go on strike.

pat on July 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM

If cops go on strike to attack our Constitutional rights then they become fascist enemies of the American people and should never work in law enforcement again, (to say the least).

FloatingRock on July 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM

doublee on July 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Good grief….public educated I suppose?

right2bright on July 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM

While we’re on the subject, I’ve noticed several libs claiming that an armed citizen would have done nothing than start a more dangerous fire fight. So how come high government officials have armed body guards? Don’t they have any regard for the rest of us?

cartooner on July 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Gee Mike, I didn’t know that the police were the primary targets of criminals.

It’s not fifteen cops a week being gunned down in Chicago, it’s fifteen civilians – even with police on duty.

So imagine the carnage Chicago would endure of this jaggazz’s wholly irresponsible suggestion were taken to heart.

Akzed on July 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM

You know, it would be great if cops all over the country went on strike. Then criminals would go berserk.

In two days, most of America’s criminal population (except for politicians) would be dead.

Not a bad outcome, near as I can tell.

Liam on July 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM

A rapist murderer thief breaks into your home. Which would you prefer?

A) A cell phone to call 911 and the 15 to 20 minute wait till they made it to your home.

B) A powerful handgun of 40 caliber or more with which you could shoot said rapist murderer thief and the ability to end the problem in 1 to 2 minutes.

Vntnrse on July 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM

My fellow Joooooooooooooooos don’t like those gussssssssssssss

Eph on July 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM

yeah a good, solid Republican…

harlekwin15 on July 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Don’t recall anyone ever saying that. This guy makes RINOs squirm.

How someone this obtuse can become a multi-billionaire businessman is mind-boggling. He must be an idiot savant, the savant part is in finance, the idiot is pretty much everything else.

OneFreeMan on July 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I guess we should just lump or firearms in with 16oz sodas and salt… yea, right….

Mark

mailmars on July 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I think that cops should strike if they can’t buy a 32 ounce soft drink…

Khun Joe on July 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Isn’t the “contract” supposed to be between the people and the police?

As in – the people pay the police to protect them?

If these people want to violate the terms of that contract, they are more than welcome to find another line of work. I’m not willing to pay people for protection if they aren’t going to actually protect me.

Perhaps Mr. Bloomberg has forgotten the basic rules of the original contract.

TeresainFortWorth on July 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Right, and after that we can have the firefighters go on strike until we can impose a nationwide smoking ban; then we can have the garbage collectors strike until we impose a a 32 oz. soda ban; the the paramedics strike until we impose a salt ban; after that doctors and nurses will be ordered to strike until we control all health care.

Gee, this fascism is easy! You rubes will submit!

Trafalgar on July 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM

If you watched “The Dark Knight Rises”….
You would see what happens when the cops “go on strike”….
Of course they were forced into a “quasi-strike scenario” not of their choosing.
But the results would be the same.

MityMaxx on July 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Liberals offer the exact same choice every tyrant has always offered throughout human history:

“You can have complete anarchy, or you can submit to my will. There is no other alternative.”

logis on July 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM

You don’t think having a police force, a patrolling police force, is a deterrent? Really? Good grief….public educated I suppose? right2bright on July 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Police patrol every neighborhood of every crime scene.

Akzed on July 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Mayor Moonbat.

Somebody put this guy back in his carrying case.

nico on July 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Has this guy ever taken an intelligent position?

First, he strongly supported building the Ground Zero mosque despite the insensitvity that showed his fellow New Yorkers.

Then, he eliminates smoking almost everywhere, trans fats and large sodas from restaurants.

Now, he advocates cops walking off the job over his belief in more gun control.

Bitter Clinger on July 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Who educated this guy – Prof. Irwin Corey?

50sGuy on July 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Guess bloomberg would really be bent out of shape reading this?

L

letget on July 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Between high taxes and idiotic pronouncements like this; how many NYC residents have decided to move to more fertile ground? When will Fox News wise up and move?

meci on July 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM

or how about C) a 12 guage, 5 shot shotgun loaded with double O buckshot that creates a spead of about 3 feet per shot!

Vntnrse on July 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Stunning. Just stunning.

BKeyser on July 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Sadly, it’s not stunning at all I’m afraid. it’s par for the course for liberals.

Yakko77 on July 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM

It’s a deterrent within about a 50-yard radius of where any police officer is at a given moment. And that’s being generous. Which leaves the rest of us in ‘undeterred’ territory for about 99.948% of our lives. It doesn’t really matter where you were educated if you can’t grasp that.

OneFreeMan on July 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM

cartooner on July 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Yep, you wouldn’t want one of them “dangerous” firefights breaking out. Much better to let a crazed maniac just keep on shooting innocent people…nothing dangerous about that.

Trafalgar on July 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Mike; STFU and shovel the damn snow or find something you might be good at. Stick to NYC and I don’t want to hear anything out of your yap. Ya dig?

ted c on July 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Bloomberg go get yourself an extra large slurpee on me. Moron alert. Hope the cops go on strike in NYC to rid themselves of this tool.

Fuquay Steve on July 24, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I used to watch COPS quite a bit (in syndication). After a while you notice a few things. First, alcohol is almost always involved in most physical disputes… but from the other side it seems like every seemingly simple or non-violent perp gets hit with 3 or 4 charges… and almost every movement is considered “resisting” (another charge). Just about anything is an excuse to search someone or his property.

The show started to frighten me after a while. These hand-picked cops were wielding great power… I couldn’t imagine what other cops did, especially off-camera.

They may not make the laws, but they seem to apply them as they will.

mankai on July 24, 2012 at 12:28 PM

This reminds me of when Anthony Weiner said the world would come to an end because the NYC transit workers were on strike.

Now the mayor of NYC is telling the rest of the nation what to do? Uh, I don’t remember voting for (against) this clown. Maybe the NYC elected should worry about NYC, eh?

Who does he think he is, napoleon?

old school on July 24, 2012 at 12:29 PM

How about Police go on strike to demand less idiocy in the mayor’s office. I say start in NYC.

ted c on July 24, 2012 at 12:29 PM

MadisonConservative on July 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Gotta disagree. MC. In our beauty pageant political environment, an obnoxious billionaire midget from New York poses no threat to the country. Only New Yorkers could be weird enough to elect this little twit … we want tall, handsome, and impressive. Money or not.

Jaibones on July 24, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Cory Booker can deal with the snow better than lil’ Mikey Bloomberg.

ted c on July 24, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Don’t recall anyone ever saying that. This guy makes RINOs squirm.

OneFreeMan on July 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM

There is a sentiment here, at times of acting as though the GOP must kowtow to the New England wing, if we ever get the numbers to see good hard work done to undo the nanny state these types of “Good Solid Republicans” will undermine our good deeds.

harlekwin15 on July 24, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Thats okay, I don’t need police to protect me. I can do that all by myself. However, in an ordered law-abiding nation law enforcers doing their job in an orderly manner preclude my need to do that myself in my own personal manner. And this is what differentiates civilization from savagery.

It is the height of irresponsibility for Bloomberg to suggest such a thing.

Lawrence on July 24, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I live in a township that doesn’t have it’s own police force, we depend on the county sheriff. Since I know exactly how many members of the department are on duty at any given time, and I also know how big my county is….let’s just say that I’d be on my own for quite a while in any violent encounter.

Bishop on July 24, 2012 at 12:32 PM

ted c on July 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM

If NY continues down the road to fascism I think they should be ejected from the union. I don’t want to live in a fascist country, I don’t even want them on the continent. That goes for people like Bloomberg on the far right and Marxists like Obama on the far left.

FloatingRock on July 24, 2012 at 12:32 PM

While we’re on the subject, I’ve noticed several libs claiming that an armed citizen would have done nothing than start a more dangerous fire fight. cartooner on July 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM

The most dangerous firefights are those where only one side is armed. Dangerous for the unarmed side, I mean.

Akzed on July 24, 2012 at 12:33 PM

cartooner on July 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Sadly after Giuliani term, Bloomberg (after switching from D to a R) was able to ride the Rudy coattails for the betterment of NYC to a term.

Once Bloomy got his keister firmly in that chair however, he naturally turned hard Left.

And I mean UpperEastSide-style Left.

Make no mistake: Bloomberg is an idiot, but he aint no dummy. He *could* run for the Big Show, like Rudy did, but at least Rudy had a somewhat base in NYC (liberal as it still is).

Bloomberg couldn’t survive a national campaign. He’s just too Nanny like…that might play in states like NY or CA (at least San Fran area) but he’s not gonna cut any ice with the Heartland.

BlaxPac on July 24, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Reality seems to be a very scarce commodity in Bloomberg world.

Sandybourne on July 24, 2012 at 12:34 PM