Quotes of the day

posted at 10:26 pm on July 23, 2012 by Allahpundit

White House press secretary Jay Carney on Sunday said President Obama was committed to preventing gun crimes by relying on “existing law,” two days after a mass shooting in Colorado left 12 dead and dozens injured, sparking renewed debate about gun control…

In a gaggle aboard Air Force One, en route to Colorado Carney struck a cautious tone, saying the president “believes we need to take steps that protect Second Amendment rights of the American people but that ensure that we are not allowing weapons into the hands of individuals who should not, by existing law, obtain those weapons,” according to a White House transcript.

“There are a number of steps that have been taken and a number of others that can be taken to accomplish that goal,” said Carney, touting the administration’s efforts to increasing the number and effectiveness of “background checks.”

***

“The [gun-control] law that we signed in Massachusetts was a combination of efforts both on the part of those that were for additional gun rights and those that opposed gun rights, and they came together and made some changes that provided, I think, a better environment for both, and that’s why both sides came to celebrate the signing of the bill,” Romney told CNBC’s Larry Kudlow, according to a transcript released before the evening airing of the interview. “Where there are opportunities for people of reasonable minds to come together and find common ground, that’s the kind of legislation I like. The idea of one party jamming through something over the objection of the other tends to divide the nation, not make us a more safe and prosperous place. So if there’s common ground, why I’m always willing to have that kind of a conversation.”…

“I still believe that the Second Amendment is the right course to preserve and defend and don’t believe that new laws are going to make a difference in this type of tragedy,” Romney said. “There are–were, of course, very stringent laws which existed in Aurora, Colorado. Our challenge is not the laws, our challenge is people who, obviously, are distracted from reality and do unthinkable, unimaginable, inexplicable things.”

***

The simple issue is access to weapons and explosives. Among the three guns that Holmes allegedly brought into the movie theater was a Smith & Wesson assault rifle with an oversize, 100-round magazine. This weapon jammed, according to police, leaving Holmes with a shotgun and a pistol. Had the assault rifle worked properly, the toll surely would have been much higher.

An unstable person can walk into a gun shop and buy a weapon designed for deadly combat. No meaningful questions asked. Have a nice day, Mr. Joker.

This is crazy. Minimal gun control — such as prohibiting assault weapons — wouldn’t eliminate these massacres, but it would prevent some and mitigate others. Lives would be saved. Congress should pass an assault weapons ban this morning and the president should sign it tonight.

***

Now, there’s a very good reason why coastal elites’ arguments for gun control fall on deaf ears in most of Middle America. Those who value the Second Amendment suspect that people like Dionne and Bloomberg advocate “reasonable” gun restrictions as a camel’s nose to a total or near-total ban on private ownership of firearms and their use for self-defense.

This suspicion is entirely justified. At his press conference, for instance, Bloomberg professed to believe that “there’s nothing wrong with you having a gun. . . . If you comply with the law you will have responsible people who know the danger that a weapon or the responsibility that somebody who has a weapon in their hands has.”

Well, this columnist lives in Bloomberg’s New York, and we would like to own a pistol. But our understanding is that the procedures for acquiring a permit are so onerous that it isn’t worth our while to apply. In more than a decade as mayor, Bloomberg has never sought to relax the city’s gun restrictions, which are among the nation’s most oppressive. He has always pushed in the other direction, demanding loudly if ineffectually that the rest of the country make its laws more like New York’s. His actions give every reason to think his claims to respect gun rights are in bad faith.

***

Proponents of gun control are baffled that horrific massacres such as the one in Aurora, Colorado, do not lead to stricter gun control. They have their causation backward.

The more terrifyingly criminal the world looks, the more ineffective law enforcement seems, the more Americans demand the right to deadly weapons with which to defend themselves. It is local TV programming directors, not the National Rifle Association, who are tirelessly persuading Americans that they need to strap a gun to their legs before heading to the mall…

The police can protect you, and will, and do. And a gun in the house is not a guarantee of personal security — it is instead a standing invitation to family tragedy. The cold dead hands from which they pry the gun are very unlikely to be the hands of a heroic minuteman defending home and hearth against intruders. They are much more likely to be the hands of a troubled adolescent or a clumsy child.

In the land of the Second Amendment, nobody will take your guns away. But if you love your children, you should get rid of them voluntarily.

***

KRAUTHAMMER: The problem for [Joe] Lieberman is the gun lobby is the majority of the American people. It’s not a lobby that is stopping all of this. The reason that the lobby is strong is because it represents overwhelming opinion in the United States. How do we know that? The president of the United States, who had this tremendous opening if he wanted to push the use of guns after a tragedy of this magnitude could easily have done it and he has assiduously stayed away because he knows it’s a losing political proposition.

Liberals in the country want gun control, Democrats don’t. They normally overlap, but not on this. Democrats will not go near it because of the experience as we heard earlier about 1994, and they don’t want to repeat that again. We’re at the height of an election and they won’t go near it. You’re going to have discussion on talk shows and none in Congress and nothing will happen in terms of legislation.

***

What purpose does an AR-15 serve to a sportsman that a more standard hunting rifle does not serve? Let’s see – does it fire more rounds without reload? Yes. Does it fire farther and more accurately? Yes. Does it accommodate a more lethal payload? Yes. So basically, the purpose of an assault style weapon is to kill more stuff, more fully, faster and from further away. To achieve maximum lethality…

These weapons are military weapons. They belong in accountable hands, controlled hands and trained hands. They should not be in the hands of private citizens to be used against police, neighborhood intruders or people who don’t agree with you. These are the weapons that maniacs acquire to wreak murder and mayhem on innocents. They are not the same as handguns to help homeowners protect themselves from intruders. They are not the same as hunting rifles or sporting rifles. These weapons are designed for harm and death on big scales.

SO WHY DO YOU CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THEM? WHY DO YOU NOT, AT LEAST, AGREE TO SIT WITH REASONABLE PEOPLE FROM BOTH SIDES AND ASK HARD QUESTIONS AND LOOK AT HARD STATISTICS AND POSSIBLY MAKE SOME COMPROMISES FOR THE GREATER GOOD? SO THAT MOTHERS AND FATHERS AND CHILDREN ARE NOT SLAUGHTERED QUITE SO EASILY BY THESE MONSTERS? HOW CAN IT HURT TO STOP DEFENDING THESE THINGS AND AT LEAST CONSIDER HOW WE CAN ALL WORK TO TRY TO PREVENT ANOTHER DAY LIKE YESTERDAY?

***

Via Gateway Pundit.

***

***

Via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8

Flora Duh on July 24, 2012 at 7:42 AM

ahhh

he sure spews some doozies doesn’t he..

cmsinaz on July 24, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Mornin’, peeps. Can’t take Frum…and Bloomberg is an idiot.

kingsjester on July 24, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Thanks Lourdes, I may give it a try. I only got a flat screen tv last year and still don’t have a smart phone. I also have the rotary princess phone that I had in high school in my guest room (which comes in handy during hurricanes).

TxAnn56 on July 24, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Naturally Curly on July 24, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Do you always end up in, ahem, discussions, with libs who spend all day trolling Twitchy?

Flora Duh on July 24, 2012 at 7:24 AM

I made the predictable fool of myself on several if not many occasions when I first started using twitter by responding to the crud from the Left and, unfortunately, several cruddy people who claim to be the Right (the psychology seems to be the same, unfortunately, for some on both Left and Right, just different opinions on issues).

I used to think I had some obligation to “at least respond” to crud on twitter (or elsewhere, for that matter), but after enough of that and some additional learning experiences, I’ve concluded that the only obligation of use I have is to myself and to the site owners (their resources, after all).

So I no longer respond to the crud and rarely interact with anyone except the tried and true who I have seen and experienced myself to be reasonable people behind the accounts.

OTHERWISE, twitter is great for reading information. I use it predominantly to read news and especially a lot of links to such that I wouldn’t on my own daily be locating. So it’s like having other people do your editing of daily feeds for you…a good thing especially the Private Lists feature, which I use for the most reliable, valuable users.

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 8:00 AM

TxAnn56 on July 24, 2012 at 7:57 AM

To expand a bit on Lourdes helpful tips:

Twitter 101: How should I get started using Twitter?

Flora Duh on July 24, 2012 at 8:01 AM

BREAKING NEWS FLASH:

Today, several hundred thousand owners of high-powered rifles DID NOT commit mass murder.

END FLASH.

skydaddy
on July 24, 2012 at 7:09 AM

OR threaten anyone, OR experience an “accidental discharge” . . . . .

listens2glenn on July 24, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 7:53 AM

TxAnn56 on July 24, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Hey, no worries, glad I could help.

You aren’t necessarily techno-adverse if you’re continuing to use “old stuff” in current times (it’s just that you may be missing out on certain advantages if you refuse all new technology).

I have been hunting with a fevah for a desktop telephone that actually RIIINNNNGGS with real bells inside, those desktop phones from the Fifties/Sixties/Seventies, the ones that had those big dials (most refitted with pushbuttons by now if you can even find one)…a red one or one of those avacado green ones that all the Fifties Si-Fi movies had on those “military desks”…

I loved those phones and continue to try to find one or two.

I finally bought a notebook PC but I pride myself in having just rebuilt (both hardware and OS and all additional software) my old desktop, though now using it is akin to driving the Ford tractor I learned to drive on.

It’s not an indication of being “adverse” when you value equipment that works and you keep working. It’s really a case of taking care of what you own and not wasting money on things because they’re trendy. I like useful, well run “old things” and even keep hurricane lamps (with fuel in them) for that emergency that has yet to arrive.

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 8:00 AM

You definitely have to be careful who you interact with. Especially now that the left has their hit squads who will try to engage you in a “debate” then turn around and report you for spam. I’ve been sent to Twitmo once for that thanks to Keith Olberman and his fan boyz.

Then I think about a young man from a couple of months ago who absolutely refused to believe the stories about Obama once being a member of the New Party, until I showed him graphics of old newspaper clippings with Obama’s name and picture in them describing him as a member of the New Party.

The young man felt terribly disillusioned and betrayed, vowed he would no longer support Obama and that he would make sure the people in his inner circle learned the truth about Obama.

Flora Duh on July 24, 2012 at 8:12 AM

@TxAnn…

an interesting site (they also have a great catalogue but you have to request one):
VERMONT COUNTRY STORE.

They have great things “for the home” — just not guns.

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Morning KJ

cmsinaz on July 24, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I loved those phones and continue to try to find one or two.

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Crosley 302 Desk Phone

Flora Duh on July 24, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Flora Duh on July 24, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Have never been sent to “twitmo” so I feel for you for that experience. The Left has terriblyn maligned me since I’m prolife — been called just about every word imaginable by them, by accounts that some say are actually PP accounts (appears to be that they are, indeed, such). I don’t mean putdowns or curses but stuff that reads like it came from the possessed kid in THE EXORCIST, very grotesque, very psychotic stuff and all that from people boasting how degreed they are in various issues of the mind but of the predictably corrupt Leftwing sort, not actual, reliable or respectable professional people who wouldn’t be writing that crud in the first place if they were who they claimed to be.

So it’s been a learning experience. If I ever wondered if people who put human life to an end willfully and intentionally were corrupt, irrational, some downright evil, then those accounts on twitter who claim to be “prochoice” have proven that they are. Brutal is a mild description for their words — referring you again to the evil behaviors by the possessed child in THE EXORCIST is the best description I can provide about several of them (and, indeed, I had a few direct messages received from other prolife strangers on twitter who said those accounts “sounded possessed”).

My biggest disappointment, though, has been as to some who pose as being on the Right (and who are promoted as such by others who are) who have behaved nearly as badly toward me and not for any specific reason I can even identify (or they can)…it’s just been a lot of crud harassing me as “you people” and similar crud like that for unexplained phony outrage. Big, big disappointment about people but, well, a learning experience.

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 8:21 AM

the gun lobby is the majority of the American people

Even Kraut gets it right occasionally.

Poor Liberals – even your own folks are in the NRA…

CorporatePiggy on July 24, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Crosley 302 Desk Phone

Flora Duh on July 24, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Wow,, thanks for that link: close but not the real thing I’m looking for (though that red one would be fine to own and use).

Those look to be replicas of the Forties phones, while what I’m looking for is those desktop ones from the late Fifties, early Sixties; they were a bit “more streamlined” than those from your link.

Though thanks, that red one (your link) would do just fine if I can’t find the one I’m looking for from the Sixties (loud bells inside that raaaannngg, heavy handset, dial front, rounder corners than what your link shows).

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Flora Duh on July 24, 2012 at 8:12 AM

You’re doing a very good thing by persisting in informing those misinformed and on the Left on twitter. All I get from them, unfortunately, isn’t change but high-volume projectile vomitus.

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Mornin’, peeps. Can’t take Frum…and Bloomberg is an idiot.

kingsjester on July 24, 2012 at 7:56 AM

I agree…they’re both lost cases, truly. I never expect reason or reasonable contribution from either of them.

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 8:29 AM

The theater was reported to be a “gun free zone”. Could have been a different story otherwise. Just like Tech, gun free zone posters do not appear to be working. Imagine that!

faol on July 24, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Is this a joke? They were putting them in the hands of murderers!

If anything.. Fast and Furious proves our 2nd Amendment is not the problem. Government is the one intentionally arming thugs and murderers! Not our law abiding citizens!

JellyToast on July 24, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Crosley 302 Desk Phone

Flora Duh on July 24, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I even found one (d’oh!) from my own link posted earlier here/above…

But these are still the 1930′s-1940′s designs. If you ever come across supplies of those 1960′s deskphones, let me know, appreciate it.

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Flora Duh on July 24, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Crosley 302 Desk Phone

Flora Duh on July 24, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 8:25 AM

I have that phone in silver, and I LOVE it. I also have an old-school telephone receiver that plugs into my iPhone.

My son’s girlfriend buys and sells vintage clothing and furniture, so she’s always going to flea markets and thrift shops. I’ll ask her to keep an eye out for the phone you’re looking for. She has an online store on Esty.

Naturally Curly on July 24, 2012 at 8:58 AM

To Krauthammer I say if the majority of Americans don’t want gun control should the government not respond to this will by not passing more antigun laws? Should bend to the will of the people that elected them or to the will of the elites (our betters)? The next quotes are not attributed but, lets look at the particulars sited in the article “What purpose does an AR-15 serve to a sportsman that a more standard hunting rifle does not serve?” In this sentence the term “sportsman” is not defined. Competition shooters and Olympic shooters are sportsmen; they shoot ten round strings as part of the competition, standard hunting rifles do not provide this compatibly. “Let’s see – does it fire more rounds without reload? Yes.” More rounds than what? The amount of rounds in a weapon is a function of the magazine capacity any firearm with a box magazine can modified to take a larger magazine. “Does it fire farther and more accurately? Yes.” Once, again more than what? The answer is no. Hunting rifles chambered in common hunting calibers such as 30.06, 250 Roberts .270, 7mm Mag, ect. have ranges of over 1000 yards with the accuracy to take down game at those ranges. The 5.56 (NATO) round used by the AR-15 does not come close to matching the performance of those rounds. “Does it accommodate a more lethal payload? Yes.” The answer here is a flat no. The ball round used by the AR-15 is designed to wound rather than kill. In combat if you wound a soldier it requires two more soldiers to carry him off the battlefield. Hunting rounds are soft tipped and expand after impact this causes a hydro shock wave to go through the body with purpose of stopping the heart. If that fails the larger wound channel will cause rapid bleeding and a quicker death. “So basically, the purpose of an assault style weapon is to kill more stuff, more fully, faster and from further away. To achieve maximum lethality….” Since your premises are faulty this conclusion is false.

You use the term “reasonable people” this term “reasonable” like the term “fair share” has no definition. To define the term would end the debate over what the term means and put to the test what limits the people will tolerate. The UK in dealing with firearms violence imposed “reasonable” limits on firearms. The result was that all firearms that have not been banned must be stored at certified gun clubs. The UK Olympic shooting team must now practice in a foreign country because the firearms they use in competition have been banned in the UK. So, I ask you what is reasonable and who will decide what is reasonable? Reasonable people can disagree.

Action Jackson2 on July 24, 2012 at 9:12 AM

kingsjester on July 24, 2012 at 7:56 AM

So, the mentally-limited and morally-deficient mayor of Boston would rather deprive Boston citizens of the best fast food chicken sandwich in the business and not expand the city’s business base because the company’s founder doesn’t conform to the current PC fad? Brilliant!

swinia sutki on July 24, 2012 at 9:14 AM

swinia sutki on July 24, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Exactly.

kingsjester on July 24, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Flora Duh on July 24, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Wow, thanks, Flora Duh…

found what I was looking for from your second link, thanks (just none of those avacado green ones…those were truly classic but the red and the black ones will do just fine).

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Ah-HA, from your link, I looked a little bit…

EXcellent, avacado green 1960′s desk phone.

Thanks again, Flora Duh.

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Since I started reading this section many years ago, I have always wondered just who is being quoted. About five percent of the time, I recognize the speaker/writer, but only because I read it somewhere else.

Is it too much trouble to attribute the “quote”? Or is it really a quote if it’s not attributed?

new2wnc on July 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM

even handier…excellent!

Apparently this (and previous) are called “Moss Green” in color and not “avocado green”. My mistake.

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 10:05 AM

This has absolutely nothing to do with guns or politics or the post topic, sorry.

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Action Jackson2 on July 24, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I couldn’t get past him yelling at me. Definitely not informed about what he is ranting about. But he is the one with shrinkage issues after all.

Bmore on July 24, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Naturally Curly on July 24, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Thanks much, though it looks like Flora Duh found a good source and I looked a bit more on her link and found the two models in the “Moss Green” color I was interested in, but thanks.

Lourdes on July 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM

[Flora Duh on July 24, 2012 at 7:50 AM]

Thanks for the info. I’ll check it out.

Dusty on July 24, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Bmore,

I was not yelling, pointing out that the statements do not stand up to scrutiny is asking for a defense of those statements. If you are so well informed show me where I erred.

Action Jackson2 on July 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM

kingsjester on July 24, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Good mornin’.

SparkPlug on July 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Action Jackson2 on July 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I just knew this was going to happen. Jason Alexander was the one yelling, i.e. all caps locked. I thought because of your comment thats who you were referring to. I was agreeing with you. If you are familiar with Seinfeld, in one episode George Castanca is caught nekkid in a scene by a female and attempts to explain away his lack of manliness shall I say, by time spent in the pool. This episode.

Perhaps I was wrong about whom you were speaking.

At any rate I am largely in agreement with you. No foul, no harm. My mistake for not having communicated it better. Its been like that for a few days for me now apparently. ; )

Bmore on July 24, 2012 at 12:47 PM

The Aurora massacre was a best case scenario: police were outside the theater for crowd control when the shooting started. Response time was way under 5 minutes.

If you want that sort of response time normally, your best bet is to live next door to a donut shop. And the safest business to run in the US of A is a donut shop… growing up in WNY there was only one instance of a donut shop being robbed. Well, attempted robbery, at best. Someone forgot to notice the police cars in the parking lot and the uniformed officers at the counter. After that I can’t rightly recall the last time a donut shop was robbed. Proximity matters.

ajacksonian on July 24, 2012 at 6:46 AMajacksonian on July 24, 2012 at 6:46 AM

Both of Frum’s statements are false.

When seconds count, the police are minutes away.

The police carry guns to protect themselves.

Gun owners defend themselves over two million times per year.

In over 90% of defensive gun uses, no shot is fired.

There are less than 700 accidental gun deaths per year.

Someone who asks “Why do you need an (insert AK-47 or other skeery-looking rifle)?” doesn’t understand how civil rights work. Don’t respond to the “gotcha” question, but challenge them for turning the concept of civil rights on its head. Our civil rights are NOT granted by the gubmint out of the goodness of its heart. You don’t have to justify your ownership of a firearm to the gubmint. The government has to justify restrictions on your possession of firearms.

When you start dealing in realities, the statistics establish that skeery-looking semi-automatic rifles don’t play much role in crimes. As horrific as the tragedy in Aurora is, the death toll is an average weekend in Chicago, where firearms possession is severely restricted.

The evidence available at this point suggests the Aurora shooter was neither as well armed as he thought or skilled with his weapons. The only person known to have recognized the shooter had issues was the firearms range owner who left instructions to his staff that the guy was not to be allowed to use the facilities until the owner had personally vetted him. The hi-cap magazine the shooter tried to use was a poor choice; magazines with that much capacity are notoriously unreliable. He had a jam as a result and didn’t know how to clear it, meaning he was unfamiliar with a basic skill.

We will never know, but it even one properly trained and armed civilian could have made a difference. With several hundred people present, even 1% of them, trained and armed, would certainly have made a difference that horrible night.

If the Aurora shooter had been engaged and killed or even just shot and stopped when he began his rampage by armed citizens in the audience that night, how different an example would have been set?

novaculus on July 24, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Bmore,

Thank-you for clearing up your comment.

novaculus,

If the Aurora shooter had been stopped by an armed citizen I believe that the story would have not gone further than the local news. Its not news when the bad guy bleeds.

Action Jackson2 on July 24, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Uh, yeah. No comment there.

Dunedainn on July 24, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Which is exactly why people should be allowed to purchase them. If you’re defending your home from an intruder, do you want to have to get closer to the intruder? If 7 intruders enter your home, do you want a 6-shot revolver?

If 10 people in that Aurora theater had assault rifles with them, how many people would Holmes have shot before he was full of lead himself?

hawksruleva on July 24, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Action Jackson2 on July 24, 2012 at 1:29 PM

An example from last week: http://www.wesh.com/news/central-florida/Customer-stops-stick-up-at-Ocala-Internet-cafe/-/11788162/15528296/-/qyovm4z/-/index.html

hawksruleva on July 24, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Action Jackson2 on July 24, 2012 at 1:29 PM

hawksruleva on July 24, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Exactly.

Those NRA magazines have “The Armed Citizen” section each month for just that reason.

listens2glenn on July 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM

hawksruleva on July 24, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I’m pretty sure if he though there were people in the theater who would shoot back, he wouldn’t have done it.

Cowards are like that.

Funny thing, in areas of my community which are known to have guns and are known to have people who will use them in self defense, those areas don’t have much crime. Mostly petty thefts at the most. The major crimes (and so-called gun-crimes) happen in the areas of the community with the strictest gun restrictions.

Lawrence on July 24, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I have never agreed with Sally Kohn about anything, but in the one instance, I do. I am happy that no one that had a concealed weapon on them pulled it out and used it. You will note that I did not say that no one had a concealed weapon, as I am sure that someone did. It is just that those who do have a permit know how and when to use a weapon. And a crowded theatre filled with people in panic mode is not the time. Once again a liberal makes an assumption that is probably completely false.

georgeofthedesert on July 25, 2012 at 10:40 AM