New Brown ad attacks Warren over “you didn’t build it” argument

posted at 8:41 am on July 23, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

So, which Senate candidate in Massachusetts is running on the Kennedy legacy? Don’t be too quick to answer — because the man who scolded a debate moderator in the 2010 special election for referring to the Senate seat as “Ted Kennedy’s seat” does some Kennedy-invoking of his own to shame his opponent.  Scott Brown’s new web ad uses the words of John Kennedy in praise of American enterprise, Bill Clinton in praise of small business, and LBJ in praise of the American entrepreneurial spirit.  The ad then asks, How did we go from JFK, LBJ, and Clinton to Elizabeth Warren and Barack Obama?

Fear not, Reaganauts, Ronald Reagan gets some quality time in the ad, too.  It’s the use of traditional Democrats that’s most effective, though, and one suspects the claiming of the Kennedy mantle that will most sting Warren and the Democrats in Massachusetts.  The ad reminds voters that this isn’t their fathers’ Democratic Party any longer — a point Joe Lieberman made last week — and that Warren and Obama represent extremes on the Left that remain very much disconnected with mainstream American attitudes about enterprise and the role of government.  Brown had better hope that’s true in Massachusetts, but this is at least a very effective web spot.  If he can trim this down to a 60-second spot and put it on television, especially with Warren’s angry delivery, it’s a winner. (via James Hohmann at Politico‘s e-mail Morning Blast)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Warren’s Choctaw ancestors didn’t build their teepees by themselves.

Bishop on July 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM

That lemonade stand must be taken down! STAT

Only government can do that.

Electrongod on July 23, 2012 at 8:45 AM

The left lives in a provincial bubble.

rob verdi on July 23, 2012 at 8:45 AM

superb!

screwauger on July 23, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Brutal.

BigGator5 on July 23, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I lost a business, it went under…so who do I blame? Will Warren cough up the money, Obama cough up the money since they are a partner now.
I wish I would have known that a dozen years ago, when it happened, I could have called them up and blamed them, sued them for my their mistakes.

Instead, I just started another business…I don’t remember them helping with that one either, but because it was successful, I am sure they would take credit for that one, but not the prior one.

right2bright on July 23, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Mitt needs this ad as well

cmsinaz on July 23, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Great ad.

Obama didn’t let his mask “slip” with his you dint build that… the mask fell off onto the ground and burst into flames.

Goodbye, Obama. We won’t miss you.

Key West Reader on July 23, 2012 at 8:50 AM

This is the greatest political ad of the Year. Perhaps we are looking at the greatest political ad of all time.

Scott Brown, we luv ya!

Eric@LibertarianRepublican

ericdondero on July 23, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Great Ad but my lingering thought is about how much I LOATHE those two Communists at the end.

Elizabetty on July 23, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Great ad, well done, strange how JFK, this year, all of a sudden, for the first election I can remember, is not a standard for the democrats.
Every election they trot out JFK, this election, he is not to be quoted…

right2bright on July 23, 2012 at 8:52 AM

right2bright on July 23, 2012 at 8:50 AM

So are you sayin’ that we picked you up by your boot straps, dusted you off, then told you to get back in there and try harder?
’cause I don’t remember that.

Electrongod on July 23, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I am PopsRacer, and I approve of this ad.

PopsRacer on July 23, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Brown is decidedly the lesser of two evils, but let’s not deify him. I’m lucky I don’t have to make that choice. I have enough angst over my decision to vote for Mittens. So much uncertainty about the future. The rock I’m trying to stand on is somewhere under all this sand.

swinia sutki on July 23, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Very effective. It clearly shows how the Democrats went from being “growth liberals” to “redistributionists.”

irishspy on July 23, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Bull’s eye!!! Devastating.

Mitt best wake up and zero in on this theme himself.

petefrt on July 23, 2012 at 8:55 AM

That Warren….whew….what a strident harpy. Angry eyes, pinched face, ranting and pointing her finger, I couldn’t imagine living with someone like that.

Bishop on July 23, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Remember when communism was considered an evil we would go to war to stop? Now we have it in the White House, and 47% or so of Americans don’t have a problem with it at all.

Night Owl on July 23, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Ed,

Brown invoked JFK in his most famous ad in 2009.

The people’s seat debate line was true. But his ad where JFK image and words morphed into Brown was his most famous ad and frankly the speech was conservative.

JFK was touting lower taxes, private enterpreise, American exceptionalism, and strong national defense

swamp_yankee on July 23, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Good stuff. But really, just 15 seconds of Elizabeth Warren’s shrill rant would probably be more effective.

SWLiP on July 23, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Brown can be a weenie and vote for stupid stuff, e.g. Dodd-Frank but the alternative will vote for that stuff 99% of the time. Let’s us not be stupid in the voting booth this Novembah, as they say in MA.

philw1776 on July 23, 2012 at 8:58 AM

The Warren anger does not play well. As for Kennedy, I am not the biggest fan of the Kennedy clan, but I still remain convinced that he was a strong President who would have promoted stronger free enterprise had he not been killed. At the very least, we would not have had the Great Society programs without his assassination and LBJ’s rise to the Presidency (with very strong majorities in 1964)…

RedSoxNation on July 23, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Bishop on July 23, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Quoting from a movie..

“Her first baby came out sideways,…she didn’t scream or nuttin’.”

Electrongod on July 23, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Wonder why they did not make this public on YouTube:
At YouTube is says:
This video is unlisted. Only those with the link can see it.

Romney needs to use this idea…pushing more that Democrats did not used to be like they are today.

albill on July 23, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Mitt needs this ad as well

cmsinaz on July 23, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Seconded. This is an excellent ad and Mitt needs to hit hard and keep hitting. There’s no reason why the polls should still be this close, and he’s going to need to win by a margin large enough that can’t be overcome by ballots found in car trunks.

DrAllecon on July 23, 2012 at 9:01 AM

…I hope Romney’s people use some of that!

KOOLAID2 on July 23, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Elizabeth Warren is quite the b*tch. Of this we can agree- that she is 100% rabid angry socialist. Quite the contrast to the smirk on Obama’s face as he makes the same point.

Happy Nomad on July 23, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Bishop on July 23, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Why do you think Obama spends so much time on the golf course?

Happy Nomad on July 23, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Elizabetty on July 23, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Then it has accomplished its goal.

Odysseus on July 23, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Happy Nomad on July 23, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Let him smirk. I think when he loses this November, this will be the moment he can look back on as the one that sealed his fate. Thank you, Obama! Keep talking!

Night Owl on July 23, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Me likey !!

pambi on July 23, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Night Owl on July 23, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Back in the 50′s when McCarthy and others were trying to root them out of Hollywood and government, they were busy burrowing themselves into every level of our education system.

AZCoyote on July 23, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Night Owl on July 23, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Not quite a Willie Horton moment but, IMO, this can be used to hammer away at the fact that Obama and his band of socialists are anti-business, anti-profit, and anti-American.

Happy Nomad on July 23, 2012 at 9:12 AM

That ad sent a thrill up my leg! AWESOME!

Pork-Chop on July 23, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Lizzie will be responding shortly, just after she has a
Pow-Wow with Chief Hope-n-Change..

ToddPA on July 23, 2012 at 9:12 AM

RedSoxNation on July 23, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Mostly agree, but I found out a few years ago he came off as very weak in his meeting with Khrushchev, which led directly to the Cuban Missile crisis. That was the closest we ever got to nuclear war. Americans need to understand that strength in foreign policy is much more important to our national survival than strength in domestic policy.

Odysseus on July 23, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Quoting from a movie..
“Her first baby came out sideways,…she didn’t scream or nuttin’.”
Electrongod on July 23, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Planes, Trains, Automobiles. John Candy and Steve Martin on the way out of Witchita, freezing in the back of that hog farmer’s truck with the viscious Australian shepherd.

What a movie!

gracie on July 23, 2012 at 9:16 AM

This ad should bury Pocahontas for good.I have several relatives living in MA and they just cringe at the mention of Liz Warren.BTW they have always voted Democrat in last elections.

jeffinsjvca on July 23, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Interesting… apparently, there was a time when Democrats weren’t all indistinguishable from the villains in Ayn Rand novels.

morganfrost on July 23, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Ot : penn state sanctions BRUTAL

cmsinaz on July 23, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Yepper DrA

cmsinaz on July 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Someone lookum quick…..

….is Bay State Papoose hauler also a big proponent of the skin killing CFL Bulbs?

Squaw, speakum with forked tongue. ugh.

PappyD61 on July 23, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I weep for what we have lost and what we have become. Totally sucks.

Lucky Pierre on July 23, 2012 at 9:23 AM

What bothers me about Obama’s rhetoric in his “you didn’t build it” speech is his self-satisfied smirk in its delivery. Of course, he encourages the Amen-corner response because he is using the methods of his preacher-teacher.

onlineanalyst on July 23, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Let’s us not be stupid in the voting booth this Novembah, as they say in MA.

philw1776 on July 23, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Yup. If just for this ad alone. Scott deserves a little love and change thrown his way.

Fallon on July 23, 2012 at 9:25 AM

This is devastating, and it rings true, because it is true.

Little Boomer on July 23, 2012 at 9:26 AM

If Warren and Obama are right; then shouldn’t campaign donations be severely taxed to pay for the roads, bridges, electronic media, and the poor trees.

meci on July 23, 2012 at 9:26 AM

AZCoyote on July 23, 2012 at 9:10 AM

True. When I was little, our babysitter would scare us into having nightmares by working out a plan for us to follow if the communists came for us while my parents were gone. Now they’re teaching our kids.

Night Owl on July 23, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Great Ad.

That shrill Warren gal reminds me of the Hillary Clinton “I’m tired of people questioning our patriotism….” speech.

I liked how she was just completely condescending about THEY PAID for the roads and bridges. Hey you friggin piece of hog bleep didn’t the business owner pay for that too? Doesn’t he pay propoerty taxes so you can go out and waste it on bleep like Solyndra?

These people are just Communist wolves in Democrat sheeps clothing.

PappyD61 on July 23, 2012 at 9:28 AM

The return of the Jacobins. Warren as Madame Defarge.

smellthecoffee on July 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I’m lucky I don’t have to make that choice. I have enough angst over my decision to vote for Mittens……

swinia sutki on July 23, 2012 at 8:54 AM

You REALLY would have a tough choice between Brown and Warren? REALLY? If so, you’re not thinking this thing through.

dirtseller on July 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM

What a movie!

gracie on July 23, 2012 at 9:16 AM

That’s it!.

I couldn’t remember..

Electrongod on July 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I love barry’s line about ‘they think they’re so smart’ this from the clown that we are constantly being told it the ‘smartest man evah in the White House’ Ha, I flush things with more intelegence than ‘barry the idiot’ every morning. Talking about flushing, I’m going to take an obama.

keithofboston on July 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM

The heck with trimming it down. Run the full 2-1/2 minutes as a TV ad. That 1-1/2 minute will be better than any 2-1/2 hours of obama/warren diatribe and lies.

Old Country Boy on July 23, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Good Ad.

Great Theme for the GOP

workingclass artist on July 23, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Perfect – The indian looks like one mean old squaw

Wade on July 23, 2012 at 9:33 AM

OT, and not a complaint, but, did I miss an Open Reg ??

pambi on July 23, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Brilliant ad.

Romney needs to take this theme and run with it. Quote JFK and Clinton a few times. Contrast this with Obama to show how anti-business, anti-entrepreneurship, and anti-American dream he really is. And then plaster it on every tv in PA, Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin from August till November 6.

We can’t win these states with only the votes of traditionally Republican voters. We need to win those that supported JFK, LBJ, and Clinton but are thoroughly repulsed by what Obama has done.

Nelsen on July 23, 2012 at 9:39 AM

More, please. Much, much more.

Thank you for asking on July 23, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Wonderful ad.

More and more people are seeing that Obama clip and noticing the way he mocks business owners. It isn’t just the silly claim that “You didn’t build that,” it is the dripping sarcasm that is shocking coming from a sitting President.

rockmom on July 23, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Absolutely spectacular ad – should be the theme for the entire GOP. They need to hammer it night and day until the election.

AprilCW1 on July 23, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Brown has also been running some terrific radio ads, and they don’t even mention his opponent by name!

“Stolen Valor”

Del Dolemonte on July 23, 2012 at 10:02 AM

right2bright on July 23, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Sorry, it wasn’t a green energy company and you didn’t bundle for the Hussein campaign.

antipc on July 23, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Note, too, that Scott Brown is a Red Sox fan, as any proper Massachusetts Senator should be. I’ll bet Elizabeth Warren votes for…I don’t know…the Cleveland Indians or something.

Anyway…good ad. I liked it.

flipflop on July 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Er…roots for, actually.

flipflop on July 23, 2012 at 10:12 AM

An excellent ad.

And you know what would make a brilliant Scott Brown ad? When he is at a middle school basketball court and sinks a shot from mid court. The screams from the students are deafening and they scream, jump and race to surround him. Let’s see Big Chief Warren top that spontaneous display of affection. The kids wouldn’t touch that Wicked Witch with a ten foot pole.

Marcus on July 23, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Marcus on July 23, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Cool idea .. Surely, there’s a 5-second snippet of Loony Liz being booed, for contrast… MUUWAHAHA .

pambi on July 23, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Wow, I’d never seen that Elizabeth Warren clip before. That woman is even more psychotic than I thought she was. I hope she doesn’t start fantasizing that she’s the ‘Joker.’

WhatSlushfund on July 23, 2012 at 10:28 AM

While we may recoil
At Warren’t harpy screeching,
Donks eat that sh!t up!

The funny thing is that while every normal American looks at that Elizabeth Warren clip and recoils in horror, the Democrats see it as a great argument. They were all excited when that video came out, and plastered it all over DU, Huffington Post and the Lefty Blogs, as if they had finally found somebody to give voice to the irrefutable argument proving that Obamanomics is right. Elizabeth Fauxahontas Warren became a Rock Star of the Left.

I hope every American sees that screed, end to end, as many times as possible. Eighty percent will run to the voting booth to throw the lever next to the Republican R. The twenty percent who nod their head and agree… well, we were never going to convince them, anyway.

Haiku Guy on July 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Haiku Guy on July 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I couldn’t believe how many FB friends posted that with the “atta girl, you tell ‘em !!”
Btw, NO ONE posted Zero’s confirmation of the sentiment.
Interesting.

pambi on July 23, 2012 at 10:35 AM

If MA elects Warren, I propose a million-man march — with chainsaws — so we can cut it loose and let it drift away into the ocean, where it can capsize with Guam.

RobertMN on July 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Anyway…good ad. I liked it.

flipflop on July 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Yeah, Brown probably gets at least half his votes just from appearing in public wearing a Red Sox jacket. Something a wannabe fake Cherokee would never do, because baseball is just so… American!

Kenosha Kid on July 23, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Totally agree, remove Scott Brown from the ad, insert Mitt Romney’s name…play it til the cows come home…and then some..Indie game-changer,in my opinion.

hillsoftx on July 23, 2012 at 10:42 AM

pambi on July 23, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Zero screwed up the argument. Where Fauxahantas made it clear that the businessman owed a portion of his success to the shared resources (roads bridges, etc) that we all share, Zero gave the businessman no credit at all. “You didn’t build that… Somebody else made that happen”.

Frankly, I think Zero intended to parrot the Warren argument, but he is just not smart enough to understand the nuances involved. Once again, he thinks he is being clever, but he just winds up making an ass of himself.

As stupid and simplistic as Elizabeth Fauxahantas Warren is, Zero is even more so. It’s a little scary, when you think about it…

Haiku Guy on July 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM

dirtseller on July 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I think he’s just grateful he doesn’t have to think it through. Like me, he’s a Hoosier and only has to worry about choosing between a conservative Mourdock and Obamacare Donnelly.

SKYFOX on July 23, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Morning Joe crew hardest hit.

BuckeyeSam on July 23, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Notice the price of lemonade has jumped from 3 cents to 25 cents. Have the lemon trees joined the SEIU?

LeftCoastRight on July 23, 2012 at 11:00 AM

“If you’ve got a recipe, you didn’t write that, somebody else made that happen.”

Jodka on July 23, 2012 at 11:02 AM

While we may recoil
At Warren’t harpy screeching,
Donks eat that sh!t up!

Haiku Guy on July 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Haiky Guy is right. My nutcase cousins posted that rant when it happened and thought it was teh awesome. They also thought OWS would make the world whole again. They think Rush Limbaugh is Satan and Obama is god. It’s quite unnerving.

Fallon on July 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Play it at the convention when it will get prime time coverage…eliminate Brown and Warren and it will help every Republican in the country. Great ad.

Strike Twice on July 23, 2012 at 11:15 AM

…I hope Romney’s people use some of that!

KOOLAID2 on July 23, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I thought they already did . . . didn’t they ?

Either way, all Republican Candidates for ALL offices on ALL levels should be using that.

listens2glenn on July 23, 2012 at 11:17 AM

OT, and not a complaint, but, did I miss an Open Reg ??

pambi on July 23, 2012 at 9:36 AM

“Sleepers”?

listens2glenn on July 23, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Anyway…good ad. I liked it.

flipflop on July 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM

beat me to it! good stuff.

One suggestion….Indianapolis Indians would be more appropriate. It’s closer to the trail of tears than Cleveland.

acyl72 on July 23, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Freakin awesome. Even if Brown were running as a traditional Dem, he would be infinitely better than the commie.

paul1149 on July 23, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Once again, Mitt… you need to hire Ron Paul’s ad people.

But, if they are unwilling to work with you, or you are unwilling to work with them, Scott Brown’s ad people will do in a pinch.

JohnGalt23 on July 23, 2012 at 11:23 AM

OMG! That was fabulous!!! Scott Brown has been a disappointment, but dang! that was one of the best ads I have seen. “Let America be America again.” Stupendous.

The only way that can happen is to get rid of Obama and many, many, many Democrats. Bill Clinton did “get” it, but Hillary doesn’t. Sweep them out of office where ever they are.

BetseyRoss on July 23, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Nice, I wish Romney had done it on a national level.

Cindy Munford on July 23, 2012 at 11:30 AM

“Let America be America again.”

Just the title captures the winning theme: Øbama is a foreigner, a hostile alien to mainstream America, as is also his progressive wing of the Dem party. (So you who always vote Dem should understand your party is now the opposite of its former self.)

Bingo.

petefrt on July 23, 2012 at 11:38 AM

flipflop on July 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Two earlier Scott Brown Radio Report ads:

“Fenway” pays tribute to the 100th anniversary of the ballpark

and

“Red Sox” pays tribute to retiring Red Sox veterans Tim Wakefield and Jason Varitek.

Del Dolemonte on July 23, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Great ad. And in a short, engaging, July 16th post (entitled: But What Shall We Do Together?) David French presents easy to understand, numerical evidence exposing the Warren/ Obama con game. French’s post is at National Review Online. I was pretty shocked by the numbers.

ansonia on July 23, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Call the COPS!!! Do those kids have a PERMIT to run those lemonade stands?!

sothinbelle on July 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM

And if you have a business that fails, that goes bankrupt, by the same token, you didn’t fail, someone else failed you, it’s government to blame?

keep the change on July 23, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I have been asking myself why Obummer ever thought this uninspiring, hopeless message of despair of an us against ‘somebody else’ America was a winner.

As another commenter said, “keep talking”.

HellCat on July 23, 2012 at 12:09 PM

This is the last national election the producers have to stop the growing tide of takers who will vote themselves more of the producer’s money.

If Obama is re-elected it will truely be the end of the free and prosperous America we have. Everytime I think of the Democrats (really socialist communist marxist) I think of the saying, “Somethig evil this way comes” They are something evil that has come …

If Obama loses gird your loins and be prepared for months of rioting and mayhem. That is the dog whistle that Obama has been sending out to his people. It’s meant to intimidate us into voting for him or not fighting his/Democrats massive attempts at voter fraud… The polls are not close at all and they know it. They lie. This is the element that has taken over the Democrat party. I think that we are going to be in some type of civil war after the election.

Remember this…Patrick Henry said, “Give me liberty or give me death” …

CCRWM on July 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Public Roads paid for with TAX PAYER MONEY. Who pays TAXES? – Business owners.

The Government doesn’t produce anything, the government collects taxes from producers.

Dr Evil on July 23, 2012 at 12:21 PM

It needs a harder break, visually and musically, between Warren and Brown.

Axe on July 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Night Owl on July 23, 2012 at 8:56 AM

That is the saddest comment I have read all day, and dead on accurate.

woodNfish on July 23, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Public Roads paid for with TAX PAYER MONEY. Who pays TAXES? – Business owners.

Dr Evil on July 23, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Better, why were the roads paved? If not for someone building autos, paved roads and those beautiful bridges would have never been built.

right2bright on July 23, 2012 at 12:45 PM