SEIU protests Romney and Dunkin’ Donuts for… some reason

posted at 11:01 am on July 22, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Ah, Democracy! Freedom of speech! Americans coming together to have their voices heard! You can just smell it in the air some days, can’t you? Or is that the smell of breakfast? It was probably hard to tell when, earlier this week, a couple hundred members of the SEIU stormed the barricades at Dunkin’ Donuts in a small town in Pennsylvania to protest in favor of raising the minimum wage and against… Mitt Romney?

About 200 union protesters descended on the parking lot of the Dunkin’ Donuts on High Street in Carlisle just before 12:30 p.m. today to call for increasing the federal minimum wage and to attack GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney…

Some of the protesters wearing Romney masks engaged in a pseudo counter-protest, based on what the union said is Romney’s opposition to increasing the federal minimum wage.

OK… I suppose I get that you want the minimum wage raised and believe Mitt doesn’t support your position. Fine. But… Dunkin’ Donuts? Is it because they sell those things that Mitt Romney really likes? You know, those… um… you know… treats?

The members of Service Employees International Union picked Dunkin’ Donuts because the chain is partially owned by Bain Capital, the private equity firm that Romney used to head.

Ah! It’s all coming clear now. Obviously Dunkin’ Donuts is part of Romney’s maximum double secret probation, shadow world government, so you’ll go stick it to The Man in their parking lot. But there’s one little problem with this plan. (OK… there’s a lot of problems with this plan, but this is the first one that leaps to mind.) Bain (along with a partnership including The Carlyle Group and Thomas H. Lee Partners) didn’t purchase Dunkin’ until 2006, long after Mitt was out the door by anyone’s standards of when he left.

Here’s the bonus part of the story… even if Romney had still somehow been involved, Bain and friends purchased Dunkin’ Donuts from its previous French owners, Pernod Ricard. This shifted the flow of the successful breakfast chain’s profits (and the taxes paid on them) back to the good old U.S of A rather than going overseas to France.

But, hey… if you can get 200 people from a small town to show up in the rain, if nothing else that must mean there’s a pretty big grassroots movement against Romney, right? I mean, that’s a pretty big turnout given the size of the town.

Kim Klinger, a nurse from Wilkes-Barre, said the SEIU members were from all over Pennsylvania and were attending a state-wide leadership conference at the Hotel Carlisle Embers Convention Center in Middlesex Twp. Five buses brought the union members from the conference to the Dunkin’ Donuts.

Busing in people to set up a “popular protest?” Where have I heard this story before? Man, you SEIU protesters can really build a narrative, eh? But if nothing else, I’m sure you kept the protest and political discourse elevated and professional, right? As always, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Dunkin Donuts Protest 1

Stay classy, guys. Stay classy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

We mock what we don’t understand.

hawkdriver on July 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I mock obama & the ‘rats all the time.

Lanceman on July 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM

“Street Theater” is fine in your 20′s – you’re young and you’re stupid.

These folks are older than me, and I’m in my 50′s.

Time to grow up, people….

TeresainFortWorth on July 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Lanceman on July 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Touche.

hawkdriver on July 22, 2012 at 12:41 PM

well-known Democrat Rachael Ray

Del Dolemonte on July 22, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Jesus Christ, thanks for ruining that fantasy.

Lanceman on July 22, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Give me a sign! Put me on a bus! Give me a reason? Any reason? I’m with you! Let’s go chant some chants! Why are we doing this? What are we fighting for? Don’t ask me I don’t give a damn… oops sorry, got carried away… What a bunch of dweebs

fistbump on July 22, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Why aren’t we talking about where Syria got its chemical weapons?

Iran, Russia and Iraq.

Speakup on July 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I was thinking about this when the news broke, I will relish the moment when we find out Bush didn’t lie about WMD’s being in Iraq. Most people with half a functioning synapse knew Saddam moved his WMD to Syria prior to the invasion…our intel agencies photographed the convoys headed toward Syria! I can’t wait to gloat and rub the left’s face in it when it’s revealed that Iraq DID have WMD’s!

Hey lefties…Bush didn’t lie and the Iraq war was not about oil!!

Lefties are either liars, morons, hypocrites, blinded by their ideology or all of the above!

Liberty or Death on July 22, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Maybe its me……but based on my 3 Sons, (2 Soldiers and a Firefighter/EMT), their (very-short) time in the “serve-us”industry was just a stepping stone and a realization that they would be doing something more satisfying, rewarding and honorable.

RealMc on July 22, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I think its a win-win for all involved. Your sons learned a great deal working in a highly successful, highly regimented, corporate structure that taught them how difficult it is to make a business profitable, how much goes into operating a system like that.

There are also people that go in on the ground floor and never leave. The managers of the local stores (for God’s sake, guys, stop picking at the french fries! You’ll be dead by 40!) make a very decent salary and have plenty of opportunity for advancement. I had a friend that started working at a Wendy’s when she was in high school and is now way, way, way up in the stratosphere of the corporation – I think she’s a Vice Wendy now – dyed her hair orange and everything.

And there’s a couple near me that owns a bunch of McDonald’s franchises and has been adding new stores and rebuilding others. They can be seen in the stores filling orders (easy to find – he’s the one in the suit and wingtips) and their stores are always clean, bright, well-staffed and well run.

You can nitpick about the quality of the food or the healthiness of it but make no mistake they are excellent businesses and important contributors to the local economies.

Did you hear that Tom Menino? Chick-fil-A provides jobs. Does everyone in Boston have a job Mumbles? Well?

turfmann on July 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Here were some other nuggets from the article….

Officials suggested to one truck owner that he go down to the welfare office for benefits. That’s just like California these days—hard-working people are ill treated, but there are plenty of benefits available for those who prefer to live on the dole.

At the gathering in Santa Ana, one man blurted out the word “pensions.” Everyone laughed. In English or Spanish, these business owners understood that the state is shaking them down to come up with money to pay for its lavish overspending, on programs including six-figure pensions for government employees.

THIS is what the SEIU is all about baby. Benefits, growing membership, raising the minimum wage (because a lot of their contracts are tied to it), and re-electing the WON.

PappyD61 on July 22, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Like the astroturf in WI, this probably cost the union a lot of money–even if they didn’t have to pay the protesters, bus costs to bring people from all over the state probably would’ve been non-trivial.

I feel sorry for the DD employees who had to deal with these union loons, but if the SEIU wants to waste money on a stunt that accomplishes nothing other than giving them a photo op, that’s fine with me… less in their war chest for That One’s campaign.

Mr. Prodigy on July 22, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Interesting that there is a Dunkin Donuts directly across the road from the Embers Steak House/Hotel where these goons were having their event, but they chose to go to the one in Carlisle instead. I guess they figured they could do more collateral annoyance in town.

forest on July 22, 2012 at 1:04 PM

From here:

Unions campaign to raise the minimum wage at least in part because it enriches them. Raising the minimum wage makes unskilled workers more expensive for businesses to hire, and so hiring skilled and highly paid union members becomes a more attractive choice. This effect increases union members’ earned income but reduces low-income workers’ job prospects and income. That unions support raising the minimum wage is understandable, but antipoverty advocates should reconsider their support for a policy that hurts the very people they seek to help.

Wade on July 22, 2012 at 1:09 PM

This seems to be a recurring theme with Romney’s term in Massachusetts: the legislature jets started on something stupid, he proposes a compromise to mitigate the damage, and they override his veto to shoot themselves in the foot.

Count to 10 on July 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Then the Douche~acrats wondered why Massachusetts lagged in leading economic indicators when Romney was Governor.

DevilsPrinciple on July 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM

well-known Democrat Rachael Ray

Del Dolemonte on July 22, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Jesus Christ, thanks for ruining that fantasy.

Lanceman on July 22, 2012 at 12:41 PM

A mind is a terrible thing to Waste…

Rachael Ray and Joy Behar gush over Bill Clinton

Excerpt:

BEHAR: I find him extremely sexy, don`t you?

RAY: Which?

BEHAR: Bill Clinton.

RAY: Well I think that –

BEHAR: George Clooney, of course, that goes without saying.

RAY: You know what I think it is? I think that he is incredibly charming. And he looks –

BEHAR: And he’s brilliant.

RAY: They don’t just hand out those Rhodes scholarships for presidencies. But you know what it is, is whether he’s talking to a young person who’s struggling with some weight issues or he’s talking to an audience member, or he’s talking to his interviewer, whoever – he has that charisma, you know, it’s like a tractor beam. He really looks straight into your eye and he remembers every single thing he’s learned about you or read about you. And he’s just so honest with people. He’s very direct with the audience. And that’s why I just enjoy his visits so much. And I think tomorrow’s visit is actually the most candid he’s ever been.

BEHAR: I think people are going to look back on his presidency the way they look at St. Ronald Reagan. They’ll say St. Bill Clinton eventually. Because he had his problems during his administration, but in retrospect he did a great job.

RAY: But he left the country with a surplus of money and goodwill.

BEHAR: Yes, he did, which was squandered.

Translated: “All Bush’s Fault!”

Excuse me, have to go visit the Vomitorium now.

Del Dolemonte on July 22, 2012 at 1:20 PM

as they tweeted on their Chinese made IPADs.

CW on July 22, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Why aren’t we talking about where Syria got its chemical weapons?

Iran, Russia and Iraq.

Speakup on July 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Hey lefties…Bush didn’t lie and the Iraq war was not about oil!!

Liberty or Death on July 22, 2012 at 12:44 PM

The Idiots on the Left would rather be Waterboarded than admit Bush was right about the WMDs.

And even if legitimate Iraq WMDs are found in Syria, the Left will still say they are “fakes”, or something.

Even if they still have their original Iraqi markings!

Del Dolemonte on July 22, 2012 at 1:23 PM

BEHAR: I find him extremely sexy, don`t you?

RAY: Which?

BEHAR: Bill Clinton.

RAY: Well I think that –

BEHAR: George Clooney, of course, that goes without saying.

BEHAR: And he’s brilliant.

RAY: They don’t just hand out those Rhodes scholarships for presidencies.

Why not? They do for Nobel Prizes.

CW on July 22, 2012 at 1:23 PM

The first job I was offered when I retired from The Army required union participation for even this supervisor position I would have been in. I couldn’t do it.

hawkdriver on July 22, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Believe me, it totally soured me on unions. I lasted about 8 or 9 months after I graduated, then quit for my first real art job. About three months after that, the union went on strike, over which the management refused to negotiate, and the store which had been there for about 35 years closed. There were eventually other grocery stores that sprang up nearby, but the best part is that the location of that former grocery is now a Staples.

My workplace now is non-union, thank God.

PatriotGal2257 on July 22, 2012 at 1:23 PM

forest on July 22, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Possibly because Carlise’s name is strikingly similar to the name Carlyle? As in the Evil Carlyle Group, which along with Bain is an owner of DD.

Del Dolemonte on July 22, 2012 at 1:26 PM

My workplace is union. It is totally depressing to listen to the mindless chaff that emanates from them. They can talk politics all day long, but if you aren’t a democrat, you had better shut up otherwise you and your property are at risk. They are pathetic and lazy.

tom daschle concerned on July 22, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Actually I think it is OSHA.

upinak on July 22, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Once a government agency, always a government agency. It’s all they know how to do: issue decrees for compliance and fines if they’re not followed.

PatriotGal2257 on July 22, 2012 at 1:31 PM

For the left, civil unrest need not make sense. Make no mistake about this is a battle between the freedom of a representative democracy and a Marxist dictatorial state. Unfortunately, the sides are nearly even and only one can continue to exist after November. This is the most important election in the history of the nation.

rplat on July 22, 2012 at 1:33 PM

why are the called “Progressives” when they never grow up and still protest like its 1870 ?

mittens on July 22, 2012 at 2:25 PM

BallisticBob on July 22, 2012 at 2:35 PM

A 23-ounce draft beer and a shot of Jim Beam…the only boilermaker worth consideration anymore.

OK, there’s that bunch over in West Lafayette…they deserve a bit of consideration from time to time.

coldwarrior on July 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM

what was the collective IQ of that rabble?

crosshugger on July 22, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Pathetic imbeciles. They make toddlers having an over-the-top temper tantrum look like perfectly adjusted little angels.

FlatFoot on July 22, 2012 at 2:48 PM

what was the collective IQ of that rabble?

crosshugger on July 22, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Not sure of the collective but the average was a bakers dozen.

VegasRick on July 22, 2012 at 2:50 PM

SEIU protests Romney and Dunkin’ Donuts for… some reason

Because they’re demanding free donuts and coffee for the Proletariat?

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 22, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Ummm, just a thought here lefties, but shouldn’t your man wait until we HAVE jobs before bothering to raise the minimum wage? Just a thought……..

katablog.com on July 22, 2012 at 3:32 PM

coldwarrior on July 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Sam Adams Boston Lager and a shot of Gentleman Jack from Jack Daniels. Anything else is just pee with alcohol in it.

Wolfmoon on July 22, 2012 at 3:39 PM

forest on July 22, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Dunkin Donuts are franchises. Perhaps there was a particular franchise owner they wanted to hurt– or they wanted to protect the one with the franchise across the street from their hotel.

obladioblada on July 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Dunkin Donuts is in the tank for Obama. The President of the Dunk gave a lot of money to Obama’s campaign and in return the EEOC is shaking down an upstart competitor named MaryLou’s.

Wigglesworth on July 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM

That was a very very sad story on your blog.

Cindy Munford on July 22, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Which story? The one that will happen to the idiots should they succeed in amending the Constitution to takeaway corporate personhood?

Don’t be sad. It hasn’t happened…yet. It’s my way of showing Progs exactly what will happen in the event that they succeed in their stupidity.

I’ll say this much: Should they succeed, it would be enough to turn me into the biggest ambulance-chasing, shyster lawyer that they have ever seen…just to spite them and make them suffer the consequences of their actions.

When I practised corporate law, I considered myself a preventative physician, not a surgeon. It was my job to prevent lawsuits. Even though I am currently “on strike” — to use a phrase the Progs love — I still warn managers and owners of businesses whenever I observe situations or conditions that present foreseeable adverse events. It is second nature to me. But, just as former prosecutors make the best defence lawyers, someone with a legal brain wired like mine would be a Prog business owner or owners’ worst nightmare should s/he/they no longer have liability protection.

I promise that I won’t go after you guys. I actually am the type of person that would not hire a Progressive simply because s/he is a Progressive (I have an innate revulsion to stupidity, naivete, and unicorn-thinking). I am also the type of person that, if forced to choose, would give out pink slips or lifejackets based upon ideological beliefs.

I’m a bit late to the party, but have made rapid strides in catching up with the Left, who have long hated those that think like me. There is no longer time left to tolerate, come to consensus, or “embrace diversity,” which actually means capitulate. On some issues, there simply cannot be compromise.

Resist We Much on July 22, 2012 at 4:44 PM

‘Toon of the Day: Remember When The Left Said “Don’t trust anyone over 30”?

M2RB: The Beatles

Resist We Much on July 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Liberty or Death on July 22, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Answer: E.

socalcon on July 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM

obladioblada on July 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Perhaps the bus doesn’t stop near the other one.

Ronnie on July 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Excuse me, have to go visit the Vomitorium now.

Del Dolemonte on July 22, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Note to self: regarding next home improvement…

socalcon on July 22, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Excuse me, have to go visit the Vomitorium now.

Del Dolemonte on July 22, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Vomitorium is an exit causeway, not a vomit-specific architectural detail. But it sure is fun to reference!

tom daschle concerned on July 23, 2012 at 12:29 AM

One thing I’ve learned: You don’t get in the way of coffee.

ZK on July 23, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Democrats… two years… super majorities in the House and Senate… and control of the White House… where were the protests then?

Why didn’t those Democrats raise the Minimum Wage to $15/hr so ALL Americans can live a middle class life (using idiotic, static Leftist analysis)?

mankai on July 23, 2012 at 8:28 AM